Search:

SIYE Time:10:07 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Darkness Within
By MollyandArthur

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Draco Malfoy, Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Other, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Severus Snape, Sirius Black
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, General
Warnings: Dark Fiction, Death, Disturbing Imagery, Intimate Sexual Situations, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Negative Alcohol Use, Rape, Sexual Situations, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 144
Summary: Tom Riddle opened the Chamber of Secrets while he was a student at Hogwarts. He committed another horrific act that same year. Now decades later, the students of Hogwarts continue to be impacted by his crimes. How will Ginny and her friends handle the darkness within?
Hitcount: Story Total: 148777; Chapter Total: 6972





Author's Notes:
With thanks to my husband for his encouragement and editing skills.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 4
Sirius Black

Ginny peered out into the deep blue of the night sky, amazed at how different the stars looked over the quiet Egyptian desert. She could see a pyramid in the distance rising out of the sand towards the heavens, and hear the soft sounds of camels settling in for the night. She sank down into the warm sand pulling her knees against her chest and wrapping her arms around her legs. The peace and stillness of the desert drowned out some of her worst thoughts and fears. Ginny was not surprised when she sensed someone approaching. She had rarely been alone at all this summer. Her parents or one of her brothers always seemed to be close by. Glancing up, she was pleased to realize it was her oldest brother, Bill.

“So, what do you think of Egypt?” Bill began, as he lowered his long, lean body to sit beside her.

“I understand why you like it here,” Ginny said softly. “It really is beautiful and so very peaceful. Tell me more about your work, about what you do.”

Bill explained more about his job as a curse breaker than he ever had previously to Ginny. He told her a few amusing stories about incidents that had occurred while discovering and clearing out tombs. Bill was pleased that he could still make her giggle the way he used to. According to his dad, Ginny had not genuinely laughed much since coming home from her disastrous first year at Hogwarts, and according to his mum, she had been plagued with nightmares she would not share with anyone.

“What happened to you last year?” Bill asked.

“Haven’t Mum and Dad told you?” Ginny sighed and was silent for a time, still looking out over the desert. “I trusted a diary and because of me, a lot of people were hurt.”

“Dumbledore told Mum and Dad even an adult would’ve found it almost impossible to resist the magic in that diary. It is not your fault, Ginny,” Bill tried to reassure her. “Besides, that’s not exactly what I meant. Why do you have so many nightmares? Mum told me you wake up screaming or crying sometimes, and I heard you last night. It sounded as though you were saying ‘no’ and I thought I heard you say the name ‘Tom’ as well.”

Bill waited quietly, hoping she would open up to him and explain what was troubling her.

“Tom is Voldemort’s real name. It was his diary, Voldemort’s diary, that I wrote in. Tom told me things,” Ginny shuddered, her voice shaking as she continued. “He showed me things, horrible things.”

Suddenly, Ginny was sobbing, and Bill pulled her firmly into his arms. He murmured to her, hoping to soothe her. Bill wished one of his brothers had managed to protect her from the events of the past school year.

“What can I do to help you, Ginny?” Bill asked, desperately hoping he could do something useful.

Ginny took a steadying breath and looked up at her big brother. “Please teach me a good Silencing Charm. I don’t want to upset my roommates in the dorm next year.”

Bill’s jaw twitched in frustration. That wasn’t what he meant when he asked how he could help, but he spent the next few weeks teaching Ginny spells he thought might be useful for her to know in the coming school year, including a Silencing Charm.

******************************** **************************************** *************

Neville smiled as he got into bed on the night of his 13th birthday. It had been wonderful, the best ever.

In the morning, he and Anna had enjoyed another successful flying lesson. They were both comfortable enough on a broom now to soar after Remus, as he led them through a series of turns going around and between trees, as they meandered high above the grounds of the estate, and then flew low enough to almost touch the grass with their feet. The flying lesson was followed by a pleasant hour working in the greenhouse, where they repotted and fertilized a dozen plants that were growing beautifully under Neville’s watchful care. After that, they had cooled off by wading in the stream, and Remus had shocked both children by starting a splash-fight that left them all laughing and completely drenched.

Later that afternoon, Gran had pointed out a picture from the Daily Prophet of the Weasley family on vacation in Egypt. The article attached explained how Arthur Weasley had won the Grand Prize Galleon Draw, which was financing their summer holiday. Neville had told Anna about each member of the family and about some of the pranks the Weasley twins had pulled over the past two years. This led to a discussion of other friends from Gryffindor and a few stories about them. Anna had listened attentively and been particularly interested in learning about the girls, and how the dorms were arranged in Gryffindor Tower.

When it was time for him to open his presents, his grandmother had surprised him with the signed permission slip allowing him to go on weekend visits to Hogsmeade this school year. And, when he opened the last gift to find that Anna had given him two of the Herbology books he had seen at Flourish and Blotts in Diagon Alley the week before, he had been thrilled.

For his birthday dinner, Bitty and Litty had prepared his favorite meal, shepherd’s pie. They had made him a large chocolate cake for after. Gran, Remus, and Anna had joined Bitty and Litty in singing Happy Birthday to him before he blew out the candles on his cake.

When they finally left the dining room, Anna had suggested music so they could dance. Gran had put on the wireless in the garden room. Remus had danced quite elegantly with his grandmother. Neville and Anna had tried to dance as well, but had looked far more awkward. By the end of the evening, Neville had laughed and mentioned that they should probably have dance lessons. It had been fantastic! Neville was used to spending quiet birthdays at home, but he found that this year, the addition of Anna and Remus to the family birthday party made it far more enjoyable.

****************** **************************************** ***************************

Andrew drove carefully up the winding path that led up to Longbottom Manor. His work schedule had been intense over the last few months, and he regretted that this was his first visit to see his daughter since he had dropped her off. Fortunately, all of England seemed to slow down somewhat in late summer due to the holidays many businessmen seemed to schedule for this time.

As he neared the house, he slowed his vehicle and caught sight of his daughter. She was smiling and waving, looking far more animated than usual. Standing beside her was a boy of approximately the same age, who he thought must be Neville. He looked like a friendly kid, and Andrew was glad that Anna was finally around other children.

“Hi, Dad,” Anna greeted him as he climbed out of the car.

“Anna,” Andrew said as he pulled her into a hug. “You are looking so grown up. When did you start becoming a young lady instead of my little girl?”

She laughed. “Well, I will be 14 in a few months!”

Her father groaned in response. “Don’t remind me! I prefer to think of you as always being about 10.”

“Dad,” Anna said, as she led him over. “This is my cousin, Neville.”

Andrew shook hands. “Good to meet you, Neville.” He glanced towards the front door of the house to see Augusta and Remus coming down the steps.

They greeted one another, and Augusta ushered them all into the house. Once they were all settled in the lounge with drinks, Andrew asked Anna about her lessons, and asked Remus about her readiness for the coming school year. It was quickly obvious that Remus and Augusta were pleased with Anna’s progress and felt that she was quite ready for Hogwarts.

“Your letter was not completely clear,” Augusta said. “Would you like to stay with us at the manor for a few days?”

Andrew set down his drink. “No, but thank you for the invitation. I actually thought I would take Anna to Brighton for a few days, if her studies were going well enough. I know she loves the beach, and I understand there are other attractions there as well.”

“Yes,” Remus said. “Her studies are going very well, and I am sure that she would enjoy a holiday in Brighton.”

“Of course,” agreed Augusta. “The weather is certainly warm enough to be ideal for a trip to the beach.”

“Good.” Andrew nodded. “I’m really glad that she has you for a great aunt, Augusta. She is clearly very happy here. And Remus, I am truly grateful that you have been teaching Anna so much these last months. I really want her to have a successful magical education. It is what her mother expected, and I am certain that Katherine would be pleased to know how well she is doing. I only booked the two nights at the hotel in Brighton, so we’ll be back soon.” He turned to his daughter. “Now, go pack a bag, young lady.”

Anna and Neville both stood up and made their way quickly out of the room. As an afterthought, her father shouted. “Make sure you have a swimsuit, Anna!”

He turned his attention back to Mrs. Longbottom and Remus. “I take it they have become friends,” Andrew inquired. “I always thought she should spend some time with kids her own age.”

Augusta smiled and asked Andrew about his business, while Remus slipped quietly from the room and made his way upstairs.

Anna was packing a small suitcase while Neville watched anxiously.

“You will take your wand with you,” he said.

“Yes, of course, I will,” Anna replied. “You’re the one who occasionally forgets his wand on his nightstand. I always have mine with me.”

“Just remember not to use it unless there is a true emergency,” Remus reminded her as he stepped into the room. “Between the number of muggles in Brighton and the fact that you are underage to practice magic, it would not be a good idea to perform a single spell while you’re away.”

“I’ll remember that,” Anna said.

“Good. Now go have a nice beach holiday with your father!” Remus clapped his hands together.

A few minutes later, Andrew was maneuvering the car back down to the main road. Father and daughter were on their way to Brighton.

******************************** **************************************** *************

Neville walked downstairs alone, slightly amused that Anna was apparently still asleep. She had returned home rather late the previous evening with a suntan and a large bag full of new clothes from a shopping trip with her father. Neville was glad that she had enjoyed a nice visit with her dad. He seemed like a decent guy, even though he wasn’t able to see her very often.

Neville decided to go out to the greenhouse to check on a few things before breakfast. The weather had been particularly warm, but his plants were doing well, though some were needing to be watered daily. Satisfied that nothing needed to be done immediately, he went into the dining room and began loading a plate. He was about to say good morning, when he noticed the tension in his tutor’s face. Lowering his plate to the table, he glanced at his grandmother. She had also noticed that something was wrong, “What is it Remus?”

His eyes shifted rapidly up and down as he stood, walking over to her with the newspaper clenched in his hand.

“Augusta,” he murmured handing over the Daily Prophet. “Have a look at this. Sirius Black has escaped from Azkaban prison.”

“What?” she exclaimed as she grabbed the paper and started reading.

Neville sat quietly eating his breakfast, waiting for more information.

Anna came in and said, “Good morning,” as she began to fix her plate. Her eyes focused on Neville as she sat down. He shook his head quietly. It was perfectly obvious that something was horribly wrong.

“Well, at least we don’t need to return to Diagon Alley anytime soon,” Augusta finally said. “I’ll have a seamstress come here to measure Neville and Anna for their school robes.”

“Yes, that would probably be wise,” replied Remus as he returned heavily to his seat.

“Who is Sirius Black?” Neville asked.

Augusta and Remus stared at one another.

“Sirius Black is a dangerous man,” Augusta explained. “He supported You-Know-Who in the last war, and he killed a lot of innocent people before he was captured. I can’t imagine how he managed to escape from Azkaban. No one has ever escaped from that prison.” She sighed and placed her napkin on the table in front of her. “You children will not be leaving the Manor until he’s captured. We’re all perfectly safe here, but I cannot allow you to leave the property with that man on the loose.”

Neville glanced at Anna whose eyes were large and frightened.

“Are you still leaving this afternoon, Remus?” Neville inquired.

Remus nodded, “Yes, I must leave, but I will be back the day after tomorrow. Augusta is quite correct. You are perfectly safe here at the house. I would request that you stay close to the house while I am away.” He looked from one child to the other and was pleased to see them both nod in agreement.

“What if we have to start school before he is captured?” Anna asked.

“I’m sure he will be captured quite soon,” Augusta replied. “However, if he has not been caught before the school year begins, you mustn’t worry, you will be safe at Hogwarts, especially since…” She looked at Remus with a small smirk.

“Especially since I will be at Hogwarts with you this school year,” Remus continued with a smile. “I have been hired as the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.”

“Congratulations! I am so glad you will be at school with us,” Anna beamed.

“We’ll have to remember to start calling you Professor Lupin soon,” Neville grinned.

“Well, we still have another month before you have to worry about that. In the meantime, I want you to both get your wands and meet me in the back garden. We will be practicing spells all morning, and I will set you each a chapter to read and an essay to write while I am gone.”

The children left the table, and Augusta walked over to Remus. “How concerned are you really?” she asked.

Remus rubbed his chin tiredly. “Very. Sirius is a talented wizard and was raised around the dark arts. He won’t be caught unless he wants to be caught, and he must have escaped for a reason. I hate to even contemplate what the reason could be.”

Reviews 144
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear