Search:

SIYE Time:5:26 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Things You do for Love
By Pottermum

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, James Potter, Lily Potter
Genres: Fluff, General, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 82
Summary: AU Harry is not the Boy-Who-Lived, there is no Potter prophecy. He has grandparents, parents and a sister he is very close to. When he overhears some devastating news about his grandmother, he turns to his best friend, Ginny Weasley, who offers her help.
Hitcount: Story Total: 35947; Chapter Total: 2737







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Harry woke early, and despite not getting much sleep, felt strangely exhilerated. Maybe it was because today his life could take a turn for the better. He thought about the quote, ' Today is the first day of the rest of your life.' How true it was.

He reluctantly left Ginny in bed and dressed quickly. He hurried downstairs to find Myron supervising the kitchen house elves. “ Good morning, Master Harry. You're up early for breakfast. Will Miss Ginny be joining us soon, too?” he asked, in a happy mood.

“ Erm, no. Look Myron, I hope you don't mind, but I really want to make something special for Ginny for breakfast,” said Harry.

Myron didn't look worried. “ Of course I don't mind, sir. Just let Miri know what you'd like and she'll make it for you,” he said.

“ No,” said Harry, hurriedly. “ You see, I want to make it for Ginny, myself,” he explained.

“ I see,” frowned Myron, not liking this unexpected change to his morning routine. “ “What would Master Harry like to be making?”

“ French toast. Pancakes. Something really special. Maybe those mimosas again,” said Harry, thinking fast.

“ Very good, sir,” squeaked Miri, quickly getting all the ingredients ready.

“ I'll be really quick,” promised Harry. “ I want to take it to her so we can eat in bed.”

“ I see,” said Myron, who clearly didn't approve of breakfast in bed.

“Come on, Myron, it's our first Christmas Eve as an engaged couple,” wheedled Harry.

Myron sighed. “Very well, Master Harry. Is there any way I can be of help?” he asked.

“ Would sir be liking some strawberrries and whipped cream for the pancakes?” asked Miri.

Harry grinned. “ Now you're talking, especially that whipped cream.”

Myron sighed. He had a feeling the laundry elves would have a lot of bedding to wash after their breakfast in bed.

/*/*/*/*

Harry hurried upstairs, hoping Ginny wasn't already awake. He'd made the breakfast, and asked Myron to take it to their bedroom, after he'd placed warming charms on the food.

He opened the door to find Ginny stirring. The breakfast food was on a table nearby. Harry quickly got undressed and slid into bed, taking Ginny into his arms. He smoothed her hair away from her face and kissed her lips lightly. “ Good morning, beautiful,” he said softly.

“Mmmm, morning,” sighed Ginny, happily. She snuggled against him, her arm reaching up to wrap around his neck and play with the end of his hair. She lifted her face to kiss him deeply. “ Happy Christmas Eve,” she said.

“ Are you hungry? I made you breakfast,” he said huskily.

Her stomach growled hungrily. “ You made me breakfast?” she asked, surprised.

Harry kissed her again. “ Just feeding my Weasley,” he teased. He sat up and grabbed his wand. “ Accio, breakfast tray,” he said.

Ginny sat up too, as the tray settled on her lap. “ French toast! Harry, pancakes-for breakfast! Yum, strawberries,” she said, picking one up and putting it in her mouth. “ So sweet,” she sighed happily.

“ There's whipped cream too,” pointed out Harry, handing her a glass.

“ Oh, I think we can find a better use for that than pancakes, don't you?” she suggested saucily. “ Mmm, great French toast,” she praised.

'God, he loved this woman', thought Harry.

/*/*/*/*

“ Okay, well, whatever you're doing with your dad that is so top secret, have fun. Say hi to Hagrid for me, please,” said Ginny, buttoning up his jacket and winding the scarf around his neck.

“ You have fun with your brothers and sisters-in-law,” said Harry, placing his favourite knitted hat on her head and handing her the matching gloves.

“Ha, prats, the lot of them,” grinned Ginny, affectionately.

“ Harry, ready to go?” asked James, coming into the lounge.

“ Just about, Dad,” said Harry. He turned back to Ginny. “ So we'll see you at Godric's Hollow about five?”

Ginny nodded. “ Make sure you get the most Christmassy tree you can find,” she ordered.

Harry laughed, but James groaned. “ Merlin, you sound just like Lily. 'Make sure you get the perfect tree, James. Not too big, but nothing too small. It has to be just right',” he mimicked.

“ Well, she's right. You obviously get your smarts from your mum,” teased Ginny, winking at Harry.

“But he got his looks from me,” insisted James, “ which bodes well for your kids.”

Ginny flushed, and even Harry looked a bit embarassed. “It's a bit early for that,” he said, although he wasn't averse to the idea. The thought of Ginny pregnant with his child sent shivers down his spine.

“ Are you getting ill, you shivered?” asked Ginny, in concern.

“ No, no, I'm fine,” assured Harry.

“ Stay warm, okay? It'll be freezing in Scotland, worse there than London,” she said.

“ You'll warm him up when he gets back,” grinned James.

Ginny sighed. “ I really have to go. I'll see you soon,” she said, hugging him. Behind Harry's back, James made kissy faces at her. She giggled and stuck her tongue out at him.

“I'll miss you,” Harry said huskily, kissing her.

“ All right, all right, things to do, people to see,” said James, hurrying them along.

“ Speaking of prats,” grinned Ginny. She nipped Harry's lips fast. “ Bye.” She stepped into the Floo and threw the powder down. “ The Burrow.” The flames carried her away.

“ Merlin, you've got it bad,” said James, patting his son on the back.

“ She's...my everything, Dad,” he said simply.

“ I know, son,” said James, sincerely. “ So let's go find you that ring.” They both stepped into the large fireplace, with James throwing down the Floo powder. “Diagon Alley,” he called, and once again, the flames flared up.

/*/*/*/*

Ginny sighed in satisfaction. The Burrow was filled with most of her favourite people, although it was strange not to have her parents here, and she missed Charlie, Bill, Fleur and the girls. Victoire really made Christmas fun, like the day she and Harry had taken Teddy to London. She remembered what Harry's dad had said, and she thought about how much fun she would have at Christmas with her own kids.

All her sisters-in-law had brought food, so there wasn't much cooking to be done, just a huge turkey and some vegetables. Ginny was the first to arrive, so she got a start on the food preparation. Audrey and Percy were next, and Ginny instructed Percy to set the table. It was strange not having the house decorated, or not having a tree, but they had decided their time was better spent on the meal and presents. Audrey and Percy were leaving early to catch a Portkey to Wales to stay with her family. Ron and Hermione were staying the night at the Burrow, then spending all the next day with the Grangers. George and Angelina, and Fred and Alicia were spending the morning together, before going to their in-laws as well.

They'd eaten lunch and dispersed the presents, with Ginny having a couple of presents to take home to Harry. They'd just returned from a snowball fight when Luna Lovegood had Flooed in. Ginny had been delighted to see her, for she had been travelling for her father's paper, the Quibbler, the last three months.

Her sisters-in-law had encouraged her to stay and talk to Luna while they cleaned the kitchen and packed up the left overs. Ginny led Luna to the fire, where they sank down, drinking a hot cider.

Luna told Ginny about her travels, having been to South Africa most recently. Ginny recounted her last assignment to Australia, and the wonders of the Outback. She told Luna of her job offer from Gringott's, and Luna confessed she was thinking of co-writing a book.

“ Doesn't the New Year look promising for us both,” sighed Luna, happily. Then she frowned. “ Although we'll both be travelling more with our new jobs.”

“ I guess we won't see each other much,” said Ginny, “ but we can write. Maybe we'll be travelling to the same place one time, and can catch up,” she said, hopefully.

“ Maybe,” said Luna, dreamily. She smiled as Hermione joined them.

“So, have you found any of your creatures?” asked Hermione, sceptically.

“ Oh yes, lots,” nodded Luna. Hermione raised her eyebrows in surprise and doubt. “ It's why I'm thinking of re-writing Newt Scamander's book, ' Fantastical Beasts and Where to Find Them', she said.

“ Fantastic,” corrected Hermione.

“ It is, isn't it,” agreed Luna, happily.

“ No, the-oh, never mind,” sighed Hermione, in exasperation. “ You do realise that book is a classic?” she asked.

“ Oh, Newt doesn't mind, in fact, he welcomed an update,” said Luna.

“ You've met him? Newt Scamander, the greatest Magizoologist of our time?” cried Hermione.

Luna nodded. “ Nice man. Such interesting stories to tell. He told me and Rolf about the time he first arrived in America, and he met this Muggle and -”

“ Luna!” yelled Hermione, in annoyance. Luna stopped her story to look at Hermione.

“ Who's Rolf?” asked Ginny.

Luna blushed prettily. “ He's Newt's great grandson, a fellow Magizoologist. He's the one I would be co-authoring with,” she said. “ He's also my boyfriend,” she added.

“ Luna!” cried Hermione and Ginny, for different reasons. Ginny hugged her. “That's brilliant,” she said.

“ You do realise my department will need to be kept apprised of any new developments you and the two Mr Scamander's have discovered about these creatures,” said Hermione.

“ Of course, Hermione. I'll make sure you get an autographed copy,” smiled Luna, standing.

Hermione snorted in frustration. Ginny smiled at her two friends; so very different from each other.

“ Ginny, there's an owl coming, but something isn't right,” said Luna, looking out the window.

Ginny and Hermione stood and moved to her side. They could see what Luna meant, for the owl was flying haphazardly. Ginny gasped. “ It's Hedwig,” she cried.

“ I think she's injured,” said Hermione, worriedly.

Ginny hurried outside, running to meet Hedwig to save her some flight time. As Hedwig landed roughly on the ground, Ginny ran to her.

“ Oh Hedwig, poor girl, what happened?” she asked, seeing blood on her wing. It looked like some feathers had been damaged.

“ It looks like she may have been attacked, possibly by another bird,” said Hermione.

“ We have to help her,” cried Ginny. “Damn, Hagrid is out with the Potters, Sirius and Remus today,” she said. She hurriedly took off her jumper and used it to gently scoop Hedwig up. The owl hooted. “ Sorry, girl. I'm going to get you help,” she said.

“ Where will you go?” asked Luna.

“Eeylops, I reckon,” said Ginny, walking back inside. “ We still have time.” It was only two in the afternoon; the shops wouldn't shut till five.

Hermione nodded in agreement. “ Once we know how bad she is, we'll need to let the owl postal office know, too,” she said.

“ Yeah, sure,” said Ginny.

“ Hey, what have you got there?” asked Ron, eating a sandwich. He swallowed. “ Is that owl injured?”

“ Yes, I'm taking her to Diagon Alley,” said Ginny, hurriedly going to the fireplace in the kitchen. “Here,” she said, thrusting the letter Hedwig had been delivering into Ron's hands.

“ I'll come with you, I'd like to see how they handle this,” said Hermione.

“ Fine, let's go,” said Ginny.

“ You go ahead, I'll follow,” said Hermione.

“ Diagon Alley,” cried Ginny, throwing down some Floo powder. “ Hold on, Hedwig,” she crooned.

Hedwig hooted in alarm as she and the pretty human Flooed away.

/*/*/*/*

“ Yer right, it does look like another bird attacked yer Snowy,” said Mr Grinspoon, manager of Eeylops Owl Emporium.

“Can you help her?” asked Ginny, gently stroking Hedwig.

“Course I can,” assured Mr Grinspoon “ once I get the proper paperwork from the postal service to say they'll pay for her treatment.”

“ What?” gasped Ginny.

“ He's right, I'm afraid,” said Hermione. “ We'll need to let them know, so they can make arrangements to get her fixed, then somewhere to stay if she needs to recover,” she said, nodding.

“ Oh, she won't be flying for a week or two,” agreed Mr Grinspoon. He sighed. “They won't be happy ' bout this. It's their busiest time of the year,” he told them.

“ I don't care about that, I care about Hedwig,” said Ginny. The owl hooted gratefully. “ I'll pay for her to be fixed,” she said.

“ Ginny, you can't, she's not yours,” said Hermione, as Mr Grinspoon shook his head.

“ Sorry, Miss, only the owners can authorise me to heal her. She's pretty bad. The post office may not want to worry about her. It'll cost a pretty galleon to fix her,” he said, regretfully.

“What? But, but what will happen to her?” asked Ginny.

“ I'll patch her up and then try and sell her in my shop. She's young, and she's still a good looking owl. I'd say her days of flying long distances are behind her, though. Still, she'll do for a domestic owl,” he said.

“Perhaps you could write this all down, and we can go to the postal offices and let them know. Then we can work something out,” suggested Hermione.

“ Sure,” shrugged Mr Grinspoon, hurrying to find some parchment.

“ Don't worry, girl, we'll get you fixed up,” said Ginny, gently caressing Hedwig.

The owl gave out a sad hoot.

/*/*/*/*

“ Ginny Weasley, I can't believe you just paid forty galleons for that owl,” cried Hermione, as they hurried from the postal services back to the Owl Emporium.

“ I know, it's madness, but you heard them, they weren't going to fix her, just leave her at the mercy of Mr Grinspoon, who would have sold her off to anyone,” said Ginny angrily.

“ For much less than forty galleons,” said Hermione. She tugged on Ginny's arm. “What's so special about this owl?” she asked.

“ I-I don't know, honestly Hermione,” said Ginny. “ I just know I have to help her.”

Hermione sighed, shaking her head as she followed Ginny back to the store.

Ginny stared in dismay as she found Hedwig in a cage too small for her, and with several children poking their finger in at her. “ Ooh, what happened to her?” they were asking.

Ginny gently manouvered around the children. She smiled sweetly at Mr Grinspoon so as not to upset the children. “ Get her out of that small cage...NOW!” she ordered in a low voice. She thrust the transfer of ownership papers under his nose. “ She is now my owl, and you will heal her,” she said. 'Or else' was implied, and Mr Grinspoon flushed in anger.

“ I don't have time, it's Christmas Eve,” he said petulantly.

“ You seem to have plenty of staff on,” noted Hermione, looking around.

“ Please, heal her,” implored Ginny.

“ The sooner you do, the sooner she'll leave,” said Hermione.

The man sighed. “Very well. Leave her with me for an hour, she should be ready to go home after that,” he said, ushering them out.

“ One hour,” warned Ginny, and he nodded. Ginny turned to Hedwig. “ I'll be back, girl, and I'll take you to your new home,” she said.

“Come on, Ginny,” said Hermione, grabbing her hand and pulling her out the store.
She checked her watch. “ Percy and Audrey have already left, and we might have missed the twins leaving too,” she said.

“ Sorry, Hermione,” said Ginny, “ but thanks for coming with me.”

“ You're welcome,” smiled Hermione. “ Although I'm sure Ron's eaten all the left overs by now.”

Laughing, the two headed for the Leaky Cauldron.

/*/*/*/*

Ginny returned fifty minutes later, alone. As she had predicted, only Ron was left at the Burrow, helping himself to another serving of Christmas pudding.

Hermione had offered to let Ginny leave Hedwig at the Burrow for the night, as Ginny was going to Godric's Hollow with the Potters. Ginny assured them that once she had told Harry what happened he would be happy to have Hedwig come to stay with them, either at Potter Manor or with Rose at the flat.

She hurried towards the Owl Emporium, hoping that Hedwig would be fine. She was checking the Alley to see if she could cross, as there was a lot of traffic in the last desperate couple of hours till the end of trading. It was then she saw them.

She had to blink several times to make sure she wasn't hallucinating. She even stepped closer, to make sure. Yes, there was no doubt.

There, in the middle of Diagon Alley, was Harry.

Smiling and hugging Cho Chang.

As Ginny watched, Cho threw her arms around him and kissed him!

Reviews 82
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear