Search:

SIYE Time:2:22 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Things You do for Love
By Pottermum

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, James Potter, Lily Potter
Genres: Fluff, General, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 82
Summary: AU Harry is not the Boy-Who-Lived, there is no Potter prophecy. He has grandparents, parents and a sister he is very close to. When he overhears some devastating news about his grandmother, he turns to his best friend, Ginny Weasley, who offers her help.
Hitcount: Story Total: 36166; Chapter Total: 3010







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Harry waited for Ginny to exit the fire-place. He took her hand. “You sure, Ginny?”

Ginny squeezed his hand. “Absolutely.”

He lead her through the lounge, down the hall and into the open kitchen/breakfast room. As expected, his family was there, except his sister.

“Harry, Ginny.” His mother greeted them happily, whilst James nodded, his mouth full.

Harry and Ginny smiled at his parents, before looking over at his grandparents.

“Mum, Dad, Gran, Grandpa...we have something to tell you,” said Harry.

Ginny squeezed his hand again, in silent support.

“Yes, dear,” encouraged his grandmother, Euphemia Potter.

Harry took a deep breath. “We're engaged!”

There was silence, then chairs scraped as both Euphemia and Lily rushed to the happy couple. “Oh my darlings, it's the best news,” cried Harry's grandmother, taking Ginny's face in her hands and kissing her forehead.

“Harry, that's wonderful, but...we had no idea the two of you were even involved,” said Lily, releasing Harry and swapping places with her mother-in-law to hug Ginny.

“It's my fault, Mrs Potter. With all my brothers teasing me about my boyfriends, I asked Harry to keep it quiet. He's been wanting to tell you for ages, and we agreed to wait till I got back from my latest assignment,” said Ginny, embracing the older woman. “I returned home last night.”

“Spent the night getting reaquainted, hey son,” quipped James, hugging him.

“Dad, please,” flushed Harry. He was not going to think about sex with Ginny. She was his best friend, who he had kissed, that's all.

“Come here, girlie,” beckoned Harry's grandfather.

Ginny grinned; it was an old argument between them. One of the first times she had gone to Potter manor, Harry's grandpa had called her that, and she been quite intimidated by him, until she saw the glint of amusement in his eyes. That had made her mad, and she had put her hands on her hips and had told him off, telling him her name was Ginny, and if he couldn't use it, she would definitely NOT respond to 'girlie'. She'd been seven at the time.

“I told you not to call me that,” she said, affectionately, throwing her arms around him.

“Yet here you are,” grinned the old man, “right where I want you.” He looked at Harry. “Potters and red heads! Good to see you continuing the tradition, Harry, my boy,” he praised. He beckoned to Harry.

Harry joined him and Ginny. Monty flung his other arm around Harry. “This is the best news, and it calls for a celebration. Myron, champagne!” he bellowed to his house elf, who nodded and disappeared to the wine cellar.

“Champagne for breakfast?” teased Ginny, threading her arm through his. “Harry, we have to make this a regular Sunday morning thing.”

Monty laughed. “The two of you should join us for Sunday brunch every week,” he agreed, and allowed Ginny to lead him to the table.

Harry spotted his mother and grandmother dabbing their eyes. “Come on, ladies, no tears,” he said, hugging them both.

“Happy tears, my darling boy,” whispered Euphemia. “You have no idea how much I'd hoped for this.”

Harry tried to smile bravely, for he knew exactly what this meant to his gran. Lily patted his cheeks, making him feel like he was five years old. At that moment, Harry knew he had done the right thing.

“It means a lot to have your blessing,” said Ginny.

Euphemia slid into the chair next to her. “Of course you do, my dear. Now, have you set a wedding date?”

Harry looked at Ginny in alarm. While they had agreed to pretend to be engaged, they hadn't thought about any wedding talk.

“Not yet,” said Ginny, easily. She looked at Harry. “I want to call him my fiance for awhile, before I call him my husband.” She had been through the wedding hoopla with most of her brothers, so knew what to expect.

Lily and Euphemia nodded happily. “How did he propose? Oh, the ring! Let me see it,” gushed Lily.

Ginny quickly slipped on the makeshift engagement ring they'd decided on. “Ta-dah!” she said, bring out her hand.

They all looked eagerly at it. “It-it looks like a Snitch,” said Lily, taken aback.

Ginny nodded happily, looking at the ring. “It is. It's the Snitch he caught in his sixth year, when he was captain and I was vice captain. The Snitch that sealed victory for Gryffindor.”

“Oh,” said Euphemia, looking a bit disappointed. “How sweet.”

Ginny nodded enthusiastically. “Harry and I really worked hard together that year, to make the team a success. So that's what this ring means to me. Harry and I, a team, together.” In their deception together, too.

Lily and Euphemia shared a look. “And the proposal, dear?” asked Euphemia, hoping her grandson had got that part right, at least.

“We had just finished tea at the Burrow and decided to go for a fly. Harry encouraged me to go up first, which I thought was kind of strange, but I flew up, and when I looked down to see where he was, I saw he had written on the pitch, 'Will you marry me?' It was so romantic,” gushed Ginny.

“Until you nearly fell off your broom,” said Harry, chuckling and getting caught up in all this make believe.

“You would have caught me,” said Ginny, winking. “My hero.”

“Well done, son. A girl always remembers her proposal,” said James, patting his son on the back.

“Oh, I bet your parents are thrilled,” said Lily, thinking of Molly Weasley.

“Actually, we haven't told them yet,” said Ginny, tucking some hair behind her ear. “Once I said yes, Harry Apparated us home to celebrate. Mum and Dad left this morning for Paris. We were going to wait and tell you together, but we couldn't keep our happiness to ourselves,” she said.

“Well, son,” said Monty, looking at James, “first thing tomorrow you take Harry to the family vaults, there's plenty of family jewellery down there.”

James nodded back at his father. “What about the rubies and diamond one?” he asked.

“You read my mind, son,” agreed Monty. “With her colouring, it would suit her to a tee.”

“Erm, I wanted to get Ginny a ring on my own,” said Harry, proudly.

Myron returned with champagne, thus cutting that conversation off, although Ginny was looking at Harry in despair. They had never contemplated engagement gifts.

“You've given me the gift of Harry, I don't need more,” said Ginny, firmly.

“Nonsense, my dear. The Potter men love hard, and treat their women right. The jewels are just sitting in the vault, when they should be out, worn, being appreciated,” boomed Monty.

Ginny nodded in agreement. Being a curse breaker sometimes meant finding treasures that had been hidden for ages, sometimes decades. It seemed a waste to acquire something so beautiful and precious, then stash it in a vault.

Myron and a female elf placed platters of bacon, eggs, toast, sausages and hash browns on the table, then filled flutes with champagne and orange juice.

“Mimosas, perfect Myron, thank you,” said Euphemia. The house elf bowed and disappeared.

“To the happy couple,” toasted Monty, raising his glass.

“To love, Potter style,” quipped James.

“To my grandson, who has made me so happy. Welcome to the family, Ginny,” toasted Euphemia.

“To Harry and Ginny,” said Lily, beaming at them both.

Harry and Ginny exchanged guilty looks, but raised their glasses. “Thank you, all,” said Harry.

“Have you told your sister?” Lily asked Harry.

Harry shook his head. “No, I wanted to tell her face to face. She's returning tonight from Wales, isn't she?”

Lily nodded happily. “Oh, she'll be thrilled.”

“Who'll be thrilled about what?” asked Sirius, entering the kitchen. “Oh, good, just in time for brunch-and mimosas? Are we celebrating?” he asked, bending down to kiss Euphemia on the cheek. She had been the mother in his life since he left his estranged family home at fourteen.

“Sit down, my boy, sit down,” said Monty, pointing to a seat near Harry. “Yes, we're celebrating. My wonderful grandson is engaged to this marvellous girl,” he said proudly.

“Harry, Ginny, really?” asked Sirius, slapping his godson on the back, then hugging him. “And when were you going to tell me, your godfather?” he teased.

“Don't you mean, dogfather?” teased Ginny. Her smile softened. “You were next on our list.”

Sirius looked at her. “I thought you were going to wait for me, Red?” he teased.

Ginny flushed, while James laughed. “It's mean to remind me of my crush on you, Sirius. Besides, I was going through a 'bad boy' stage, and you were very appealing back then,” she said, affectionately. “For an older man, that is!

“Old man! And what am I, a banana?” protested Sirius, winking at her. “Maybe I was waiting for you to grow up and get over your crush?”

“I was thirteen,” protested Ginny, laughing. “I even had a crush on Harry when I was eleven,” she said.

“Damn, you beat me to her even then,” said Sirius, pouting at Harry.

“Like you could keep up with me now, Black,” quipped Ginny. Monty laughed, slapping his knee.

Sirius shook his head. “Today I'm not Black, I'm Green. Green with envy. Congratulations, you two. I hope you are as happy as your grandparents and your parents, Harry.” He toasted them joyously.

“Thanks, me too,” said Harry.

“You've got your hands full with this one, Harry,” said Monty. “She's feisty. Red heads!”

“Maybe I'll dye my hair black, or start using a glamour,” grinned Ginny. “I could ask Tonks for ideas.”

“Don't you dare, I love your hair colour,” said Harry. He flushed when everyone looked at him in surprise, especially Ginny. He didn't even know he felt that way, it had just slipped out.

“Let's eat,” suggested Euphemia, “then we can make some plans after,” she said to Lily, who nodded.

Ginny and Harry shared a look. So far, so good.

HGHGHGHG


Harry and Ginny tried to get away from Potter manor two hours later. Ginny had been hustled away by Lily and Euphemia to discuss an engagement party, which Ginny quickly vetoed on the grounds her parents and brothers still didn't know. When they started discussing wedding dresses, and Harry's gran brought out some family jewels, asking Ginny to consider wearing, Ginny knew she had to get out of there. She excused herself to go to the loo.

Harry was outside with his father, grandfather and godfather; the three most important men in his life.

“You made your mother and grandmother very happy with this news, Harry,” said James.

“I know, Dad,” said Harry. That alone had made it all worth it.

“We've always thought you and Ginny would be good together, and you know we love her already,” said James.

“And the two of you, denying it all these years-you dog,” teased Sirius.

“Enough teasing. Harry, my boy, a wife needs a house, a home. Have you given any thought to life after the wedding? After all, you'll soon be having young ones around,” said his grandfather.

“We haven't really discussed that yet. We'll probably stay in the flat for awhile, save some money before we look for a house,” said Harry. It was what he had always planned, when his hypothetical love came along.

“Nonsense, my boy. I can cash in some of my shares, enough for a down payment on a house, just to get you started,” offered Monty.

“NO! I mean, that's very generous, and we'll certainly consider it, thanks Grandpa, but Ginny and I are pretty determined to get what we can afford.” Harry was quite firm about that. He had never wanted to be dependent on the family fortune.

“You could always move in here, save even more money. You'd have your own wing, so you'd have privacy. Ah, I remember what it was like to be a newlywed,” sighed his grandpa.

“Me too, good times,” agreed James.

Harry grimaced. Sirius, seeing the look on his face, let out a bark of laughter. “You're traumatising the boy. Now me, I much prefer being footloose and fancy free,” he said.

“In other words, decent women run a mile when they see you coming,” quipped Harry, making his dad laugh.

“It's not the decent women I'm chasing, Cub,” teased Sirius. Harry grinned.

Myron suddenly appeared. “Beg pardon, Master Harry, but Miss Weasley is ready to leave.”

“Thanks, Myron, will you tell her I'm heading back to the house, please,” said Harry.

“Very good, sir,” bowed Myron and returned to convey his message.

“Leaving already? I was hoping you'd stick around for dinner, then you could tell Rosie your news,” said Monty.

“Dad, they just got engaged,” said James. “I'm sure they want to spend some time alone, and Ginny just got back.”

“I suppose so. Very well, my boy, go to your fiancee. Bring her over to the manor for dinner one night, won't you?” asked Monty.

“Sure, Grandpa, we'd love it,” said Harry, hugging him goodbye. He turned to his own dad, hugging him too.

“I'm proud of you, Harry,” his dad whispered in his ear.

“Thanks, Dad,” said Harry softly. “That means a lot.”

“Little Harry's growing up, taking a wife, soon she'll be popping out kids,” said Sirius, gruffly. He pulled Harry into a hug too. “Congrats again, kiddo.”

He'd nodded and left them, hurrying back to the house, and trying to ignore the men's quips about hurrying to see Ginny.

Ginny had looked up in relief when he came to find her. His gran and mum looked up. “Time to go, I'm afraid,” he said.

“Oh do you have to go,” sighed his gran. Lily looked disappointed too.

“Can't you wait to see your sister?” she implored.

Harry turned to see Ginny discreetly shaking her head. “Sorry, I want some alone time with my fiance,” he said. His voice was husky from walking so quickly.

Ginny stared at him, then blushed fiercely, something she hadn't done since she was eleven. Then she giggled, clapping a hand over her mouth.

Lily and Euphemia smiled indulgently. “Of course you do, my dear. Come here,” she said, holding out her arms.

Both Ginny and Harry went into them. “I am so very happy for the both of you,” she said, kissing their cheeks.

“Thank you, Mrs Potter,” said Ginny.

“Now, dear, you're family. You can call me Gran, and Monty, Grandpa, like Harry and Rosie,” offered Euphemia.

“Okay, Gran,” said Ginny. She never knew her real grandmother, who had died when she was a baby, and she had always envied Harry his wonderful grandparents.

“Mum, you're hogging them,” said Lily. She too offered them a hug. “We'll be in touch soon,” she said.

“Grandpa invited us to dinner one night,” Harry told her.

“Excellent, we'll see you then, dears,” cried Euphemia, waving them off as they Flooed home.

They left the fireplace and pretty much collapsed on the sofas. “Well, that went well,” said Harry. When Ginny didn't reply, he looked over at her. “Gin?”

Ginny wiped her eyes. “You're family is so wonderful, Harry. They were so happy for us. I just can't imagine your gran...” She shook her head, unable to say the words.

“I know,” nodded Harry, sadly. “We did the right thing, though...didn't we?”

“I'd do it again, just to see the look on your grandparents face,” said Ginny. She looked at him. “So what is my fiance cooking me for tea tonight?” she asked, hoping to lighten the mood.

“Your amazing fiance is taking a Shepherd's pie out of the freezer with his own hands,” teased Harry, “ and will duck down the shops to get some chips to go with it.”

“See, this is why I love you,” teased Ginny. She sighed. “I don't suppose you want to swap, and clean the bathroom for me?”

“Nope, sorry. I love ya lots, but not that much,” he said, grinning.


Reviews 82
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear