Search:

SIYE Time:19:12 on 16th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Things You do for Love
By Pottermum

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, James Potter, Lily Potter
Genres: Fluff, General, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 82
Summary: AU Harry is not the Boy-Who-Lived, there is no Potter prophecy. He has grandparents, parents and a sister he is very close to. When he overhears some devastating news about his grandmother, he turns to his best friend, Ginny Weasley, who offers her help.
Hitcount: Story Total: 36137; Chapter Total: 3004







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter



They were just finishing their easy dinner when the Floo flared and Rose rushed out.

“Oh my god, oh my god,” she squealed when she saw them both. “I am so excited about this.”

“Really, we had no idea,” said Harry, rolling his eyes at Ginny.

She laughed, as Rose threw herself into Ginny's arms. “This is amazing. My best friend and my brother,” she cried.

“So I guess you're okay with it,” drawled Harry, then grimaced as he caught Rose just in time. “Merlin, what are they feeding you in Wales, you're ten tonnes heavier.”

“Okay with it? Harry, this is the most brilliant thing I've ever heard. I mean, I hoped and I even prayed for this! Okay, I was only eleven or twelve then, but even then I-”

“Rose, breathe,” instructed Harry.

“-knew there was something between you two. I mean, sure you had that thing with, ugh, Cho, and you Ginny, you dated that Quidditch jerk, ack, but all along-” Rose continued on, barely stopping to take a breath.

'Ack?', mouthed Ginny to Harry, questioningly.

He nodded. “Definitely ack,” he said, grinning.

“-and now you're engaged, and I'm so happy for you. I will be a bridesmaid, won't I, Ginny? It's me and Luna, right? Not any of your prissy sisters-in-law,” said Rose.

“Rose, breathe,” yelled Harry and Ginny.

Rose stopped talking and looked between them. “You guys, you even talk together,” she giggled. “Show me the ring,” she ordered.

Ginny obligingly held out her hand. Rose took a look. “It's...cute. Mum and Gran told me the story. I guess it will do for now.”

“I love it,” said Ginny, looking at her makeshift ring. Looking at it brought back wonderful memories.

“Dad's taking you to the vaults tomorrow, so no doubt you'll be wearing something a bit sparklier tomorrow night,” grinned Rose.

Ginny looked worriedly at Harry, who nodded sheepishly. She gulped. “That's nice,” she said, glaring at Harry when Rose turned to look at him. He shrugged hopelessly back at her.

“Grandpa said he offered to let you move into Potter manor to save money for a home of your own, but you refused. Why, Harry? It would be fun to have you both there,” she pleaded.

Harry shook his head. “We want to make it ourselves, without relying on the family money. I make enough money to support a wife,” he said, defensively.

“I make a decent wage too, and will earn even more when my apprenticeship is over,” said Ginny, coming to stand next to him. “Rose, we appreciate your family wanting to help us, but we'd rather do this ourselves, or at least, try to. We always know your family would help us if we needed it,” she said.

“Well, Mum's talking about setting up a wedding fund for you, and her and Gran are going to suggest the wedding take place at the manor,” she warned.

Harry and Ginny exchanged another worried look. Rose caught this one, and laughed.

“Oh, that's nothing. Grandpa's already thinking about setting up accounts for your children. Baby Potter one and two at this stage,” she grinned. “Dad told him he was reasonably sure that Ginny didn't want seven like her mum.”

Ginny paled. “He's right,” she said, determinedly.

Rose laughed. “Look, I'm going to go. Mum said you two lovebirds will want to be alone. Ginny, we'll catch up again soon?”

Ginny nodded. Rose hugged them both again. “Oh, I still can hardly believe it. My best friend and my brother. I love you both, so much, and now you're together, and-”

“Bye, Rose,” said Harry, waving.

Rose grinned. “I'm waffling, aren't I? All right, love birds, I'm going. Don't do anything I wouldn't,” she called out as she Flooed away, laughing.

“Brat!” said Ginny, affectionately. She turned to look at Harry, then collapsed onto the sofa again. Harry knew how she felt. He watched her, seeing the conflicting looks on her face.

“So, do you feel as guilty as I do?” she asked, unhappily.

Harry nodded.

“They're all so happy, and, Merlin, your parents want to give me jewels, and your grandparents want to give us money for a house, and our kids. Our kids, Harry,” cried Ginny.

“I know, I know. But Ginny, you saw my gran,” reminded Harry.

“Our gran,” corrected Ginny, with a smile.

“Our gran,” nodded Harry. “I have never seen her happier. Please, Ginny, do this, for me, for her?” He moved to kneel in front of her.

Ginny looked down at him. “You know I will,” she said, softly. She smiled at him. “She did look happy, didn't she?”

“You'd hardly know she was sick, would you?” asked Harry, sadly. He lay his head on her knee.

Ginny ran her fingers through his hair in a comforting way. “She's an amazing woman. I almost wish this was real, so I could always call her my gran,” she said. A sudden thought occurred to her. “Merlin, what if your family hate me when they find out, after she ...” She couldn't say the words.

Harry grabbed her hand and kissed the back of it. “They'll be grateful you offered to make Gran's last weeks happy ones, I'm sure of it. I won't let them blame you, Ginny. I promise.”

Those two words were sacred to Harry and Ginny, so when one of them said that to the other, they knew it to be true. “I believe you, Harry,” she said. “So, what are we going to call our kids?” she quipped.

Harry chuckled, and they talked long into the night, coming up with crazy combinations.

/*/*/*/*

The next two weeks passed quickly. They were both heavily involved in their work, although Ginny was waiting for news of her next assignment. She and Rose went to the spa for beauty treatments on her day off and met Harry for lunch. They dined at Potter Manor twice that first week, to Monty and Euphemia's delight. Then Harry got caught up in his passion for a breakthrough in the Wolfsbane potion, and refused to leave the laboratory until all test results were checked. He came home in a daze at two in the morning, having worked non stop from seven the previous morning. Luckily, Ginny had left a plate of food under a warming charm, out for him, and he gobbled it down. He then fell into bed, fully clothed and slept for twelve hours straight.

They invited George and Angelina over to dinner one night, a regular occurrence. The two couples got along well, and just the fact that George asked no questions about their relationship seemed to mean that the news of their 'engagement' hadn't gotten out — yet!

He and Ginny went to a Halloween party at the Leaky Cauldron with some of their Hogwarts friends. It was a costume party, and an excited Harry had dragged Ginny to a Muggle costume shop. Harry decided to dress as Superman, and tried to explain to Ginny just who he was. He then tried to convince Ginny to dress as Wonder Woman, and he nearly had when she spied something. “Who's this?” she asked, grabbing the costume.

“Harley Quinn,” said the shop owner. “She's really cool, a bad-ass, ” He showed Ginny a picture.

“I want to be her,” said Ginny, decisively.

“Then you should be the Joker, man,” said the shop owner, to Harry. He brought out the Joker costume, a purple suit and a green hair wig.

Ginny grinned wickedly. “This is going to be brilliant,” she said.

“Looks like we're taking these two,” sighed Harry, gesturing to the Joker and Harley Quinn costumes.

“You're a lucky dude,” whispered the shop owner, as Ginny wandered over to look at some other ones. “Your woman is hot! Take a photo of her and show me when you return the costumes, and I'll knock twenty bucks off the hire,” he offered.

Harry shoved the money at the man. “No, thanks,” he said, curtly.

“Harry, look,” said Ginny, holding up a child's costume of Batman. “For Teddy. Wouldn't he look adorable?”

“Let's go, Gin,” said Harry, taking her hand and ushering her out the store, barely giving her time to hang the kids costume up. He just wanted to get her away from that pervy git.

So here they were, surrounded by witches, school girls and Quidditch stars. Some had also hired their outfits from a Muggle shop as Harry saw vampires and ghouls, as well as other super heros of the Muggle world. Neville had come as Dumbledore, complete with a long white beard.

It was fun catching up with their friends. Ginny's brother Ron was dressed in his Chudley Cannon's gear, with his girlfriend, Hermione, dressed as Cleopatra. Lavender Brown was dressed as a Playboy Bunny, with her boyfriend, Seamus Finnegan dressed as Hugh Hefner. Parvati Patil was dressed as Catwoman, while her sister Padma and Padma's boyfriend, Dean Thomas were dressed as pirates. Neville's girlfriend, Hannah Abbot was dressed as a sexy witch.

“So Harry,” began Neville, as the two sipped their Butterbeers and watched their girlfriends dancing. “I heard some interesting news the other day. Seems my gran had lunch with your gran, and she was very excited to tell my gran about your engagement,” he grinned.

Harry groaned inside. He should have thought of this; his grandmother had a small group of friends she lunched with regularly. Naturally she'd be excited to share news of her grandson's engagement with her closest friends.

“Look Nev, can you do me a favour. When you see your gran tomorrow, can you please ask her not to say anything to anybody else?” asked Harry, almost desperately.

“So it's true, then?” asked Neville.

Harry hesitated. “We don't want to announce anything till Ginny's parents return from Paris. You know Mrs Weasley would be upset if everyone knew before she did,” he said.

“You didn't ask her parent's permission, did you?” asked Neville.

Crap! “Erm, it all happened so suddenly, the night before they left. I didn't have time,” he thought hurriedly, remembering Ginny's story to his family.

“Well, it's about time is all I can say. Merlin knows, we all had bets on the two of you getting together long before we left Hogwarts,” chuckled Neville.

“Nev, please, this is urgent. Please go see your gran tomorrow, and ask her not to say anything. It's really important,” implored Harry.

“Sure Harry, no worries. I guess I should tell Mum, too. Your Mum told mine, you know they work together,” grinned Neville.

Harry groaned. This could so easily get out of hand. He looked around, almost sensing a Howler from Mrs Weasley approaching him.

“And the winner for best female costume is- Parvati Patil, as Catwoman,” announced Lee Jordan, dressed in groovy disco clothing, complete with an afro wig.

Whistles and hoots accompanied Parvati as she came to collect her prize. She posed with Lee as Colin Creevy, dressed as Dr Who, snapped a photo.

“And the winner for best male costume is- Neville Longbottom, as our very own Professor Dumbledore,” announced Lee.

“Actually, I'm Gandalf, from Lord of the Rings,” said Neville to Lee.

“Tomayto, tomahtoe,” shrugged Lee, handing Neville his prize. Again, Colin snapped a photo.

“And finally, couple of the night is-” Harry could see Lavender primping, obviously expecting to win. “-Ginny Weasley and Harry Potter, as the Joker and Harley Quinn,” announced Lee.

“It'll be so much easier when it's simply Harry and Ginny Potter,” teased Neville in an undertone to Harry.

“Come on, Harry,” cried Ginny, grabbing his hand and leading him to the front.

“Congratulations, you've won a week away for two. Meals and accomadation all paid for, in picturesque Greece, Santorini to be exact,” said Lee.” He handed the information over to Harry. “Your Portkey is inside, you have six months to use it. Just tap the Portkey to activate it, then you have a two minute countdown. Everything else you need to know is in there. Congratulations, great costumes,” he said.

“Smile please,” said Colin. Ginny stuck out her tongue at him and stuck two fingers at him as he clicked, just like the pictue she had been shown by the jerk in the shop. Harry didn't even have to smile, his painted on smile did it for him.

Their friends surrounded them, congratulating them. Harry tried, for the umpteenth time that night, to explain exactly who their characters were.

“Well, looks like you got your honeymoon covered,” said Neville, softly, gesturing to their prize.

Harry groaned. He wanted to tell Neville the truth, but he dare not, especially here. Merlin knew who could be listening.

Ginny came and grabbed him, dragging him out to the dance floor. He laughed as she did some crazy moves, and he tried to copy her.

For awhile, they were just two friends, out for a good night with their friends. And that was enough, for now.




Reviews 82
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear