Search:

SIYE Time:17:49 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Things You do for Love
By Pottermum

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, James Potter, Lily Potter
Genres: Fluff, General, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 82
Summary: AU Harry is not the Boy-Who-Lived, there is no Potter prophecy. He has grandparents, parents and a sister he is very close to. When he overhears some devastating news about his grandmother, he turns to his best friend, Ginny Weasley, who offers her help.
Hitcount: Story Total: 36163; Chapter Total: 3004







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


October departed and November rolled in. Christmas decorations began appearing in shop windows, making Harry aware of time dwindling for his gran.

Ginny had left on an assignment the previous weekend, so Harry spent the entire weekend at Potter manor. His sister Rose was home too, and the family spent precious time together. Unfortunately for Harry, a lot of talk was about his and Ginny's future.

“Can't you owl her parents,” grumbled Monty. “We've got the announcement all written and ready to go. Your mother even has a room on standby for the party,” he said.

“We can pay for a Portkey to Paris if you like,” suggested Euphemia. “I'm sure Ginny is missing her parents, and would like to see her eldest brother and his family. You could break the news to them then, and then we can send the announcement to the Prophet, and finally add a date.”

“They should be home soon, just another week or two,” said Harry, feeling the pressure. “Besides, Gin is away on assignment for another few days, then she's working here in London for Gringott's till the New Year,” he said.

“Well, bring her over once she returns, we have a lot to discuss,” said Monty.

“Yes, I can't hold the booking for a party forever, they need it for all the Christmas parties,” agreed Lily.

Harry felt a sense of foreboding. It was like the day they went to the Potter family vaults to look at jewellery. James kept showing him various jewels, and although he'd seen one he thought would suit Ginny perfectly, he told his father he needed to think about it.

Harry knew his parents and grandparents were getting frustrated about keeping the secret. He had noticed wedding magazines laying about the manor, and he'd overheard his grandfather telling Myron to spruce the garden up, in anticipation of a party. Ginny's absence gave him some respite from having to make plans, but she was due back tomorrow.

“Perhaps we should leave it till the New Year,” suggested Harry, hoping to buy himself some time. Until he saw his mother and grandfather exchange looks with his grandmother, and he remembered they were running out of time. “I'll talk to Ginny,” he hurriedly said.

His grandmother nodded happily. “Convince her, dear,” she said, simply.

James and Sirius entered the lounge. “Hey, Harry, Gin back yet?” asked James.

“Tomorrow. She's due back tomorrow,” he said, curtly.

“I think someone's missing his fiance,” teased Sirius. Harry scowled at him. “Probably doesn't like sleeping alone any more,” he said to James. The two men chortled, making Harry frown.

“Hey, we're still going to see Rosie's match, aren't we?” asked James to Harry. “Us five?”

“Mum's coming, too?” asked Harry.

James nodded. “It's a big match for the Harpies. The top two sides, it should be good.”

“Well, count us in, you know Gin loves Quidditch and is a big Harpies fan,” said Harry.

“What are you planning to do when she comes home? Any plans?” asked James.

Harry nodded. “We're going to take Teddy to Muggle London and have his photo taken with Santa. It's our present to Remus and Tonks. We'll take him to the toy shops to see what takes his fancy, so we know what to get him for Christmas,” he said, enthusiastically. Time with his godson was amazing, and both he and Ginny looked forward to taking him for the whole day. Ginny had even suggested asking Tonks if he could sleep over.

“Good practice for you both,” nodded James.

“Well, at least they're getting practice in making the babies,” teased Sirius, nudging him.

Harry sighed. Everything came back to their fake future. “Sirius,” he warned. He didn't like Sirius talking about him and Ginny like that. Thoughts of him and Ginny had become to invade his dreams, as his fake future appeared to him, night after night. The dreams were so real, so amazing, that he didn't want to wake.

/*/*/*/*

Harry woke the next morning to the tapping of an owl. He groaned, just wanting five more minutes with his dream future. But it wasn't to be, as the tapping got more insistent, so Harry rolled out of bed, quite disgruntled.

“You interrupted my dream wedding, I hope you know,” he groused to the owl, who merely blinked. Harry went to take the letter from it, but it pecked at his hand.

“Ouch! Damn bird,” said Harry, rubbing his fingers where he had nipped. Harry saw the letter was addressed to Ginny. “She's not home, yet. You can either leave it with me or come back later,” he told the owl.

The owl seemed to consider the offer, and hesitatingly held out it's talon. “Good choice,” said Harry, sarcastically. He took the letter and lay it on his bedside table.

The owl hooted as Harry was about to get back into bed, hoping to return to his dreams. “Now what?” he asked it.

The owl dipped it's wing as if gesturing to the pack of owl treats he kept close to the window, for situations like this. “Fine, here, take the whole bloody lot,” he said, tossing the packet at her.

“Hoo, hoo,” hooted the owl, in reproach, grabbing the packet and flying off. Harry sighed, knowing he shouldn't have taken his frustration out on the owl. She was a beauty, too. Snowy white and obviously intelligent.

“Sorry Snowy, ” he yelled, but she was gone.

/*/*/*/*

Ginny Flooed in shortly before lunch. She looked refreshed, but happy to be home. She quickly unpacked, while Harry sorted his laundry to wash. Then the two went out for lunch at the nearest pub, as Harry brought her up to date on all that she missed.

She told him about her latest assignment as they waited for their meals. Harry watched her animated face, her hand gestures, as she talked. She truly had grown into a beautiful woman, so why was he just noticing this now? If she were really his girlfriend, he would be proud to claim her as his own, proud to have her wear his ring.

“ - and the museum in Cairo is going to display the artifacts we found,” finished Ginny, proudly.

“Hmm? Oh, great, that's great,” said Harry, quickly taking a drink.

“You barely heard a word I said, did you?” she asked. She too, took a sip. “What have you been up to? How's work?” she asked.

“Frustrating. Just when I thought we were looking at a breakthrough on the Wolfsbane, it didn't work out. The test results matched the ones from the previous test,” he sighed.

“I'm sorry, Harry. I know that means a lot to you,” she said, patting his hand.

He nodded. “I caught up with Ron and Hermione for dinner one night at theirs. They're both busy at work. Ron barely stopped talking about Quidditch, what with the finals coming up.” Ron worked for the Department of Magical Game and Sports, while Hermione worked at the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures.

“Oh, are we still going to see Rose play?” asked Ginny, hopefully.

Harry nodded, laughing at Ginny's fist pump.

“Tonks is happy for us to take Teddy to London, but she's not sure he's ready for a sleepover. I think both she and Remus are looking forward to a day together, just them,” he said, moving the glasses as their meals were laid down in front of them.

“Do you think they'll have more kids? Teddy is nearly four now,” asked Ginny.

Harry swallowed. “I'm not sure. You know how worried Remus was during Tonks' pregnancy with Teddy. I don't know if either of them want to go through all that again,” said Harry.

Ginny nodded as she chewed. “I can't imagine what it would be like being an only child, though,” she said finally. Harry nodded in agreement.

“Oh, that reminds me, a letter came for you this morning. I think it's from your mum,” he said.

“Oh, good, it's probably letting me know when they're coming home,” she said cheerfully. “Mum will want help getting the Burrow ready for Christmas,” she said.

“Do you have much shopping to do when we take Teddy to London?” he asked.

She nodded. “Some, but it will keep if Teddy is getting irritable. It will be a big day for him,” she said.

“We can go another time if we have to cut it short because of Teddy,” said Harry.

Ginny agreed. “The main thing is to get his picture taken, and go to the toy store. Maybe stopping for lunch after that will give him a break, and he'll be able to go on. Let's just see how he goes,” she suggested.

They concentrated on their meals for a bit, accepting the waitress' offer of re-filling their drinks. As they nearly finished, Ginny looked at Harry.

“How's your gran doing?” she asked.

“She's really looking forward to Christmas, keeps mentioning having the family all together,” said Harry.

“She says that every year,” teased Ginny, gently.

“I know, but now...sometimes I want to blurt out to her that I know, you know?” he asked, rhetorically.

Ginny leaned over the table to grab his hand. “This is the way she wants it. We should honour that.”

“I know,” he sighed. He looked at her. “Do you want to go over there for dinner. You know we're always welcome, even if all they talk about is the engagement party,” he said.

“Sure. I have to say, Mum and Dad being away brought us some time, but I think the jig is about to be up. We'll have to come up with something else to delay our party, or tell Mum and Dad and ask them to go along with the deception,” said Ginny, unhappily.

“I know. Let's not think about it for now, though. Shall we go?” he asked, and when she nodded, they left and did a bit of shopping for the week ahead.

/*/*/*/*

Harry meant to give Ginny the letter as soon as they returned home, but after they put away their groceries, they received a fire-call from Rose. After the usual family catch ups with Harry, she asked to speak to Ginny. Harry left the two girls talking Chaser tactics, and went to his room. He saw the letter and tucked it in his pocket to give to Ginny after, but then completely forgot.

They Flooed to Potter Manor to find Harry's parents had gone out with Frank and Alice Longbottom to a movie, then dinner. Fleamonnt and Euphemia were delighted to have the two of them to dinner, and it was as they were going into the dining room that Harry remembered the letter.

“Ginny, I'm so sorry, I forgot to give you your letter, here,” he said, handing it over.

“It's fine,” said Ginny, taking it and looking at it. “Yes, it's from Mum,” she said.

“Go ahead and open it,” encouraged Monty.

“Thank you,” said Ginny, sitting down and opening the letter. “Oh no!” she cried, after reading the first few lines.

“What is it, my dear? Nothing wrong with Molly or Arthur, I hope,” said Euphemia, holding her hand up to stop Myron from serving just yet.

Ginny continued reading. “It seems as though Victoire has Dragon Pox, quite a bad case, and the whole house is quarantined for weeks,” she read. She put down the letter. “ My parents won't be home for Christmas!”

“Oh, my dear, I am so sorry. I'm sure you'll miss them terribly, I know how Molly loves Christmas at the Burrow,” said Euphemia.

“Well, there's nothing you can do about it, and you're part of our family now. You'll come here for the day, that's all there is to do,” said Monty.

“Grandpa, Ginny will see want to see her other brothers,” said Harry.

Ginny shook her head. “Charlie's not coming home, either, and apparantly Ron and Percy have already said they'd spend the day with their in-laws,” said Ginny, reading further down the letter. She resolved to go and see the twins in the morning to see what their plans were.

“As will you, my dear. Why, we can certainly use all hands on deck to get this place ready for our Christmas celebrations,” said Monty, gesturing to the house.

“Oh, yes, I'd love you to help Lily and myself with some of the cooking. We do some baking to take to those that have to stay in St Mungo's for the holidays, poor souls. It must be terrible to be that ill that you can't be with your loved ones for Christmas,” she sighed. She gestured for Myron to start serving.

Harry noticed Ginny was quiet during the meal, just smiling and nodding when questioned. Her gaze kept drifting to the letter she'd left on the table, and he knew it was troubling her. The Weasleys were close, like the Potters, and he couldn't imagine not seeing any of his family for Christmas.

“Damn, that means the engagement party will be put off even longer,” sighed Monty, when Ginny had excused herself to go to the loo.

“ Grandpa, it can't be helped,” said Harry.

“ I know, I know, it's just-we don't have much time,” said Monty.

“ Fleamont Potter!” scolded Euphemia, shooting a look at him, then Harry.

Monty had the grace to look apologetic. “ Right, sorry, my dear.”

Harry looked between the two. Should he ask? Would they tell him? He didn't get the chance because Ginny returned.

“ Harry, are you ready to go?” she asked, placing a hand on his shoulder.

“ Already? It's still quite early,” said Euphemia, looking at her watch.

“ I'm sorry, the time difference is really catching up with me, and I'd like to write a letter to my parents and get it off tonight,” said Ginny, hugging the older woman.

“ Of course, dear, we understand,” beamed Euphemia.

“ We'll keep you so busy around here you won't have time to miss your parents,” said Monty, as he hugged her too.

“ You'll be sick of the sight of me,” laughed Ginny.

“ What man would be sick of looking at a pretty young girl,” scoffed Monty.

“ Hey, stop flirting with my girl,” teased Harry, flinging an arm around her shoulders.

“ Now, Harry, there's nothing like a little harmless flirting. Please, keep going, Grandpa,” laughed Ginny.

“ Ah, if only I were twenty years younger,” sighed Monty, with a wink at his wife.

“ You'd still be thirty five, forty years too old,” quipped Euphemia.

Harry and Ginny laughed. “ I'm perfectly happy with this Potter, thank you,” she said, pinching Harry's cheeks.

“ Ow, thanks,” laughed Harry, rubbing his cheeks.

“ Go on with you, get out of here, leave us old folks alone,” said Monty, waving them off. “ Let me spend some alone time with my wife, if you know what I mean?”

“ In other words, he wants me to rub his arthritis cream on his hip,” said Euphemia rolling her eyes. “I think it's time I traded him for a newer model.”

Even Monty laughed at that. “ Yes, getting older is a bitch, but what's the alternative, hey?” he asked.

Harry and Ginny smiled uncomfortably. There it was, the elephant in the room. But Euphemia just smiled and nodded, saying nothing and giving away even less.

“ It was a lovely meal, thank you again,” said Ginny.

“ We'll see you soon, Gran, Grandpa,” said Harry. “ Will you please tell Mum and Dad I'll be in touch soon about Rose's Quidditch match?”

“ Of course. Take care of each other, my dears,” farewelled Euphemia, as they went to the large fireplace.

“ You too,” called Harry, as first Ginny, then he Flooed home.

Ginny went straight to her room, then returned to the lounge with her special parchment she liked to use to send letters with. She sat on the floor, using the coffee table to lean on. Harry popped a dvd into the player and settled back to watch, once Ginny had assured him the noise wouldn't bother her.

“ We really need to get an owl of our own,” said Ginny, as they waited for a mail order owl to arrive.

“Hey, it's Snowy. Hi, Snowy,” crooned Harry, as the familiar white owl swooped in.

“ You're old friends,” asked Ginny, “ with, erm, Hedwig?” She read the tag on the bird. “ That's a nice name for an owl,” she said.

Hedwig ruffled her feathers, pleased with the positive attention.

Harry grinned. “ Hedwig delivered your letter earlier today. She woke me up so I was a bit grumpy at her. I tried to apologise but you flew off,” he told the owl.

She looked at him as if to say, ' I'm an owl, it's what I do!'

Ginny laughed. “ Pretty and smart!”

Hedwig flew to Ginny and perched on her shoulder. Ginny gently caressed her, and the owl hooted softly.

“ Here, girl,” said Harry, offering her some treats. “ Thanks for delivering our letters. If you ever want to belong to a family, come find us, okay?”

The owl stared into Harry's eyes and he felt like he was being judged. Harry didn't look away, and Hedwig hooted softly. Harry felt like he had passed some sort of test.

“ Thank you, Hedwig. It's a letter to Paris, for Molly or Arthur Weasley,” Ginny told her as the owl took the letter. She opened her wings to take flight. “ Safe travels,” called Ginny.

Hedwig hooted once more, and left, soaring majestically into the early night sky. Ginny stood and moved to the window. Harry joined her and they watched until Hedwig was just a tiny dot on the horizon.

Reviews 82
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear