Search:

SIYE Time:9:21 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Brothers
By alicia rose potter

- Text Size +

Category: The Burrow Secret Challenge (2016-3), The Burrow Secret Challenge (2016-3)
Characters:None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Tragedy
Warnings: Death
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 47
Summary: When George receives a letter from one of his brothers asking for help, he finds himself keeping secrets even from his twin.
Hitcount: Story Total: 9625; Chapter Total: 1890





Author's Notes:
Thanks for being patient waiting for this one! GHL had some really fantastic advice for me and it took a bit of time to get this where I wanted it. A lot happens in this chapter; I hope you enjoy the reveal of the first secret! Of course there can't be one secret without lots of others, you know...




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


“It’s not polite to Side-Along someone without warning them,” Percy whispered as they reappeared. George ignored him, pulling out his wand and waving it in a wide arc.

“Where are we?” Percy tried again to get his attention.

“No one here,” said George, satisfied. “C’mon, Perce, I’ll show you.” He tucked his wand into his back pocket and sauntered towards a hallway.

Percy followed for a moment, but stopped when he saw the brilliantly orange walls. “The Cannons?” he asked. “Why on earth are we here?”

“Remember the game Dad took us and Ron and Ginny to, right before Ron started at Hogwarts?” George asked. “It took us so long to get Ron to leave the stadium after the game that they were already starting to close up the stadium. Fred saw the security guard put the access code into the gates and we’ve been sneaking in here to play ever since. Later we realized we could Apparate straight in. The Cannons have shoddy security.”

“We’re breaking laws!” Percy hissed. “I asked for your help, and you’re dragging me off to play a silly game I don’t even like!”

George rolled his eyes. “I’m sure you could tell me exactly which Ministry decrees we’re breaking, what with you basically living there and all.” He took a deep breath as Percy’s face started to turn red.

“Look, Percy, just — trust me for a moment, would you?” George stalked off towards the locker rooms, hoping Percy would follow him. After a moment, he heard Percy’s footsteps behind him.

George used a Muggle hairpin to pick the lock and held the door for Percy. He locked it behind them before he started talking again.

“I brought you here, Percy, because we’ve been breaking into it for years and we’ve never been noticed. It was the safest place I could think of. All the teams have anti-monitoring charms on their locker rooms,” George said, watching his brother carefully.

Percy nodded but didn’t say anything.

George pushed his fingers against his eyes. “Do you have any idea how much danger everyone is in right now?” he said, his voice heated. “How incredibly stupid it was to write that letter? I know Hermes is a good owl, but letters are being intercepted all the time.”

“I didn’t put her in more danger, did I?” Percy asked, his eyes wide. “But I couldn’t have told you any less, or you wouldn’t have agreed to meet me.”

George shook his head. “I don’t think so, Percy. Hermes didn’t look like an owl who’d been intercepted when he got to me, and I have your letter here. No one else has seen it.”

“Not even Fred?” Percy asked. “I thought it odd only you wrote me back.”

“Not even Fred,” George said, his voice hard. Percy opened his mouth, but George cut him off.

“So, there’s a girl,” George began, and Percy glared at him, “that we need to get out of your flat and away from the war,” George finished, cocking an eyebrow.

“Yes,” Percy said coolly. “A colleague. And before you ask, yes, I fancy her. Quite a lot. But now is not the time for me to be acting upon such feelings. And I ask that you save whatever tricks or teasing you would like to do until after she’s safe.”

“Fair enough,” said George. “I’ll tease you later. Now I need some food, and then some information from you.” He pulled out the two bags of fish and chips and peered in one. “Here, this one’s yours,” he said, passing it to Percy.

“Why is this one mine?” Percy asked cautiously.

“Because it has tartar sauce.”

“You hate tartar sauce,” Percy said quietly.

“And for some unknown reason, you’ve always loved it. So I brought it. Now, where’s your flat?”

“Number 6 Crown Court,” Percy said.

“Other wizards in the building?”

“Not that I know of. No one else from the Ministry. I’m certain of that,” Percy said.

George raised his eyebrows.

Percy sniffed. “I read the names on the call box and compared it to the Ministry employee listings.”

George nodded, impressed. There were a lot of people at the Ministry.

“Has she got any luggage?” he asked.

“A rucksack, nothing else.”

“Any family?”

Percy smiled. “They’re all Muggles from Leicester. Three younger sisters, a handful of aunts and uncles and cousins. She’s the only witch, and the only one that ever left the city. They all love her like mad.”

George licked malt vinegar off his fingers, thinking. It would be easy enough to get her out, but where to put her?

Percy toyed with a chip, watching his younger brother. “What do we do, George?” he asked finally. George tipped his head back against the wall.

“I’m not entirely sure yet,” he admitted to the ceiling. “You can Side-Along with her to anywhere. I just don’t know where to send you.” The silence stretched out again.

“What does Fred think?” Percy finally asked.

“Fred thinks you’re a ministry-loving, family-disowning, power-hungry moron,” George said, looking at his brother again and sketching the quotes in the air. “The paper today announced the Muggleborn Registration Committee, and he had plenty to say about it. He might have mentioned that something about how that would be a perfect job for you.” George chuckled bitterly. “That’s why I didn’t tell him about your letter.”

Percy shook his head. “Madam Umbridge asked me to be the lead on the records team for that project, until I got caught in the archives after closing. I was trying to falsify Audrey’s records,” he admitted in a small voice. “They kept me on, but I’m a clerk for the Floo department now.”

“Not Audrey Hartz?” George asked. “The good-looking Ravenclaw from my year? Brown hair?”

“You sound surprised,” Percy said drily.

“If this were any other moment, I would tease you without mercy,” George said, smiling wickedly.

“But it’s not,” said Percy, and the tension slammed back into both of them.

“You’re right. It’s not.” George nodded. “I’ll invite you for a drink once I’ve got a plan, and you just Apparate straight here, alright?”

“That sounds fine,” Percy said. He stood and slung his book bag over his shoulder.

“George,” he started, but his voice trailed off. He looked down at his brother and took a deep breath.

“Why are you helping me? After everything Fred said?”

“I’m not Fred,” George said evenly. “He’s not entirely wrong, mind.”

Percy winced.

George ignored him. “But you’re also a Weasley. Once a Weasley, always a Weasley,” he said. He flipped a chip into his mouth and smirked. “And if I can encourage you to break rules and lie and such, I sure can’t pass up that opportunity.” Percy narrowed his eyes and George chuckled.

“I’ll write you as soon as I can,” George promised.

“Thank you,” Percy said. “Take care, George.” He tapped the locker room door with his wand and slipped out.



It wasn’t too much later that George heard giggles echoing underneath the stands. He Vanished the rubbish left from dinner and walked out to meet the girls.

“Hey Beater,” Katie drawled, her broom slung over her shoulder. “Where’s the twin? And where’s your broom?”

“Not here,” George said shortly. “I’m sorry, ladies, but I misled you slightly. We’re not playing tonight.”

“Then why’d you write us?” Alicia asked.

“Not here,” said Angelina shortly. “George has his serious face on.”

“If you’d follow me to my office,” George said, affecting an air of gallantry. The girls exchanged glances and then followed him back into the locker room.

It didn’t take long for George to explain why he’d gathered them there. He passed Percy’s letter around and explained his dilemma. Finally Angelina handed him the letter back. Her dark eyes were steady, and George felt his confidence swell.

“I can’t believe Fred won’t give Percy a chance,” Alicia said.

“I can’t believe Percy got Audrey Hartz,” Katie muttered. Alicia rolled her eyes.

“I didn’t really give Fred an opportunity,” George admitted, ignoring Katie. “But after what he said…” his voice trailed off.

“You don’t want to hurt either brother,” Alicia finished.

“So you need a place to hide Audrey for a while,” Angelina prompted.

“Yeah,” George said. “Any ideas? I don’t want to pawn her off on you guys necessarily…” Katie and Alicia glanced at each other, then at Angelina.

“What?” said George. “What are you not telling me?”

“Katie might be able to take her,” Alicia said slowly. “But I’m a known blood traitor now. My parents nearly got caught hiding a Muggleborn a week ago. I’m pretty sure we’re still being watched.”

Katie frowned. “We theoretically could,” she said, “but my dad is nervous. He got dragged in front of the committee last week, and he’s been shaky ever since.”

“But he’s a half-blood, isn’t he?” George asked, confused.

“They were asking about Angelina’s mum,” Katie said, glancing again at Angelina. “They know we’re neighbours.”

Angelina leaned forward, balancing her elbows on her knees. “Have you talked to Ginny?” she asked George.

“Ginny?” he said, surprised. “She’s underage. She can’t do magic.”

“You should talk to her,” Angelina said firmly. “This isn’t the first story we’ve heard like this. The committee was just announced, but they’ve been taking Muggleborns for a while. She can help you.”

“Huh,” George said, leaning back against a locker. “So it’ll be a family affair after all.”

“Really, George, you’re a Weasley. Everything any of you do is a family affair. There are just too many of you,” Katie said, chuckling.

“How soon does this need to happen?” Angelina asked.

“As soon as we can manage,” George said. “Percy’s already been hiding her for a couple of days.”

“Here’s what we’re going to do, then,” Angelina said. “George, you and I should go talk to Ginny. Katie, Alicia, you go home and cover for me?”

“Of course,” said Alicia.

“Hijacking my operation, are we?” George said tartly. As relieved as he was that someone else was taking control, he was not excited about dragging his little sister into this mess.

“Someone needed to,” Katie teased.

George relented. “Fare thee well, ladies,” he said. “And thanks for your assistance.” He stood and stretched before taking Angelina’s arm and twisting into nothingness.



Ginny was perched rather precariously on her window ledge, tapping her wand absent-mindedly against the wall. She knew she couldn’t use it but she also couldn’t make herself put it down. It was only 9:30, and the dishes were clean and the sitting room straightened and she still wasn’t sleepy. After the insanity of the Burrow before the wedding, it seemed desperately empty now. Bill was on his honeymoon, Charlie back in Romania, the twins back to their shop, and Ron…well. Ron was not here.

She sighed, watching her breath fog up the window. There were only two and a half weeks until she had to go back to Hogwarts, and for the second time in her life she really, really wasn’t looking forward to it.

She reached her hand up to wipe the moisture off the glass, and paused. There were two people by the broom shed.

Ginny slid silently to the floor and yanked the window up, leaning out as far as she could. One person fiddled with the door for a moment, then vanished inside. He — Ginny thought whoever it was looked like a boy — reappeared with three brooms. Then he made the end of his wand flash in a complicated pattern.

Holding back a laugh, Ginny pulled her window shut and slipped on her shoes. She wound her wand and her long hair into a knot at the back of her head — something Luna had taught her — and grabbed her light jacket. Ginny had memorized Morse code when she’d been eight and spent the whole summer one step ahead of twins, who thought they were the only ones who knew it. They’d gotten it out of a Muggle book Dad had brought home. Now the twins were asking her to come for a fly.

She sped down the stairs and stuck her head into the sitting room.

“Mum, Dad,” she said quickly, “the twins are in the paddock and we’re going to go flying for a bit. We’ll stay inside Bill’s charms, I promise,” she added when Mum frowned.

“None of the Quidditch balls,” Mum added, pointing her knitting needle at her daughter.

“Of course not,” said Ginny virtuously. “It’s after sunset.”

Mum pursed her lips. “A half hour, that’s all,” she said.

“Have fun, darling,” Dad added.

“Thanks!” she said, already running towards the back door. She flew through the vegetable garden to the paddock, slamming into the twin holding the brooms.

“This is so good,” she said, hugging him. “I needed to get out.”

“Oh really,” he said drily. “Because apparently you’ve been involved in all sorts of adventures lately.”

“What?” Ginny asked, pulling back. “What do you mean, George?” She looked around, taking in the figure next to George. “And I’m thrilled to see you, Angelina, but where’s Fred?”

“Why does everyone ask me that?” he grumbled, picking up the brooms again. “We’re not actually attached, you know.”

“But you’re twins,” she said. “Almost no one sees you apart. Especially when you’re flying.” She looked more closely at her brother. “You look…serious,” she said slowly. “What’s going on?”

“I’ll tell you,” said George. “But you’re going to do a little explaining first.” He kicked off the ground.

Ginny raised her eyebrows as she followed her brother into the air. She didn’t love the sound of that. “What the hell, George?” she asked. “You drag me out here — I only have twenty-five minutes before I need to be back inside, by the way — and now you won’t tell me anything?”

“I’m not the only one who’s close-mouthed in this family, apparently,” George snapped. “Want to explain why Angelina thinks I should be asking you to help me hide a Muggleborn?” He tossed their very old Quaffle to Angelina.

“Ah,” said Ginny. She glanced at Angelina, who shrugged. She swallowed her nerves. “You need to hide someone, and you asked Angelina for help.”

“And she directed me to you, yes,” George said acerbically.

Ginny raised her eyebrows. “You don’t love that I’m in the middle of something, do you,” she said.

“Not particularly, no,” George said. “And I like being left out of the loop even less.”

“Well I’m your option right now,” Ginny snapped. She took a deep breath and reigned in her temper. The three of them had fallen into an easy rhythm passing the Quaffle around, and she let the feel of the ball in her hands distract her for a moment.

“Remember Dean Thomas?” she asked George finally. He shook his head. “You terrified the life out of him when he bought me my Pygmy Puff,” Ginny said.

“Oh, him,” George said. “Sure. I remember that.”

Ginny rolled her eyes. “He’s not sure if he’s Muggleborn, since his mum is Muggle and he never knew his dad. So he ran. He owled me a week ago, asking for a place to go. I told him to go to Alicia’s, but we think someone was following him.”

“They went tearing into the Spinnet’s home. Dean got away, as far as we know, but we haven’t heard anything since,” Angelina said. “That’s why she thinks she’s still being watched.”

“So Dean is probably still on the run. Bloody fantastic. How exactly is this helping me? George said.

“Because I won’t fail any of my friends a second time,” Ginny said coldly. “Do you remember Libby Branstone? She’s a Hufflepuff my year, used to hang out with Luna and me sometimes.”

“Short dark hair, yeah?” asked George. “A Muggleborn too?”

“Yep,” said Ginny. “She was actually visiting Luna when the Ministry went to pick her up, so they just trashed her house and terrified her parents.” George grimaced. “She stayed with Luna for a while, but she told me before we left last year she’d been talking to Justin Finch-Fletchley. He’d told her if she ever needed a place to go, he’d help her. So I used the DA coins and we got Libby to his summer house in Salcombe. He’s turned it into a refuge.”

“He has a summer house in Salcombe?” George asked, incredulous.

“He was down for Eton, too,” Angelina said. George shook his head.

“At least he’s using all that money for something good,” Ginny said pragmatically. “I can take your Muggleborn there,” she said. She could read the relief on George’s face before it morphed into confusion.

“Hold on a tic,” he said.

Ginny smiled. So predictable.

“What do you mean you can take Audrey there?”

Ginny flipped her ponytail over her shoulder. “I’m the Secret-Keeper,” she said firmly.

“You’re the what?” he asked.

“Oh, get with it, George!” Angelina said, exasperated. “Ginny is a capable witch even without her magic. She’s also far cleverer than you give her credit for, you know.”

“Thanks, Ange,” Ginny murmured, mildly embarrassed.

“But the Trace!” George exclaimed.

Ginny rolled her eyes. “I only hold the secret, George. Angelina cast the spell. The Ministry doesn’t want you using anyone underage because then it’s not recorded!” Ginny informed her brother.

“So let me get this straight,” he said. He closed his eyes and ticked things off his fingers. “My sister has already helped three different Muggleborns into hiding, if we count Justin. She’s a Secret-Keeper for a Muggleborn refuge. She knows how to change the DA coins. And you —” he opened his eyes and glared at Angelina — “all knew about this, helped her, and didn’t think to say anything to Fred or me? Really?”

“You would’ve done the same thing if it were you, George,” Ginny said. “You are. You’re here.”

“Ginny’s just following in your footsteps,” Angelina said, tossing the Quaffle to him.

George let it soar past him and passed a hand over his eyes. “Give me a sec,” he muttered. He spiralled towards the ground, retrieving the Quaffle.

“Poor George,” Angelina chuckled. “He’s had quite the night.”

She cocked her head and stared hard at Ginny. “Heard from Harry lately?” she asked. Ginny felt a pang go through her.

“Nope,” she said, looking up at the stars.

“Chin up, Ginny,” Angelina said. “He’ll be fine. He’s Harry.”

That’s the problem, Ginny thought to herself, but George was re-joining them.

“Are we better now?” Ginny asked sweetly.

“We do what we have to do,” he said reluctantly. “Sorry to be slow on the uptake.”

Angelina smiled. “It’s fine. Ginny, I’ll warn Justin to get another room ready tonight. Tomorrow you think?”

Ginny felt a thrill of excitement and nerves. “George?” she asked. “Think we can move your Muggleborn tomorrow night?”

“Yeah,” he said. “I can get in touch with Percy before then. He’s planning on going to the pitch.”
“That’s fine,” said Angelina. “You grab Ginny and I’ll meet you there.” She looked over at Ginny. “We’ve been meeting at the Cannon’s stadium.”

Ginny raised her eyebrows and opened her mouth.

“Alright. 7:30, then,” George said, cutting her off. Ginny pressed her lips together. George still had several things to answer for, in her opinion.

Angelina nodded. “I’d tell you to say hi to Fred for me, but I’m guessing we’ll keep this one quiet for a while?” she said.

“That’d be swell,” George drawled. Ginny stared hard at her brother. Fred didn’t know about any of this? For the first time that night, she felt a sense of unease rise to an uncomfortable place in her gut. She hung in the air as Angelina and George swooped towards the ground. Angelina put her arm around George, then Disapparated.

“You coming down, Gin?” George called up. Ginny descended slowly, still thinking.

“You have your calculating face on,” George said as she approached him, scratching at his missing ear.

“Do I want to know why Fred doesn’t know what’s going on?” she asked finally.

George pushed his fingers against his eyes. “I’ll tell you tomorrow, alright? You need to get inside, and I need to get back to the shop.”

Ginny narrowed her eyes. “Is whatever’s going on with you two going to compromise what we’re doing?” Ginny asked. George scowled and pulled a crumpled parchment out of his pocket.

“Here,” he snapped, shoving it at her. “Just remember you already agreed to help me,” he warned. “I’m going now. I’ll be here at 7:15 tomorrow to get you, ok? Come up with something good to tell Mum.” He looked at her for a moment, then grabbed her in a rough hug.

“You’re mad,” he said. “It’s a damn good thing, but you’re completely mad.”

“Takes one to know one,” she muttered, hugging him back. George released her and Apparated away.

Ginny tucked the parchment into her jacket pocket, put her broom away, and took off towards the house. She really couldn’t have Mum mad at her tonight. She leapt up the steps of the back porch and skidded through the kitchen.

“Here I am,” she called, “safe and sound!”

“And two minutes early,” Dad shouted back. Ginny sighed in relief. She stuck her head through the sitting room door again.

“I’m all for bed,” she said, yawning. She was surprised the yawn was real.

“We’re pulling in tomatoes and herbs tomorrow,” Mum reminded her.

“Sounds good, Mum,” Ginny said. “And George invited me for supper tomorrow, can I go? He’s coming at 7:15.”

“Can’t you eat supper here?” Mum asked, looking up from her knitting. Ginny shrugged.

“He wanted to take me to see Neville,” Ginny invented. “The twins have been buying magical plants from Neville, because he can grow anything.”

“She’ll be safe with Augusta, Molly,” Dad said, and Ginny knew she’d won.

“Ten o’clock sharp, young lady,” Mum said finally. Ginny pumped her fist in the air and raced to hug Mum.

“Thanks!” she said. She hugged her dad and called “Goodnight!” on her way up the stairs.
Ginny quickly washed her face and tumbled into bed, dying to read the letter George had handed her. She spread it on her pillow, smoothing out the creases.

The more she read the higher her eyebrows went and the tighter her mouth got. Percy, of all people? Lying to a Ministry official? Ginny slipped the letter into the drawer on her bedside table. No wonder George had been so discomfited all night. And Ginny also understood quite clearly why Fred was being left out. Weasleys were all pretty good at stubborn, but Fred took it to a completely different level.

Nothing for it, she told herself. Once a Weasley, always a Weasley. She flipped onto her belly, buried her head under her pillow, and tried to fall asleep.



Ginny was scouring dirt from under her nails when she heard George Apparate into the kitchen.

“George Fabian Weasley!” Mum screeched. “We do not Apparate into the kitchen! You could Splinch into someone! You could land in a pot of hot soup! We Apparate into the designated spot on the porch!” George was mouthing along with the speech he’d heard a million times. “Don’t you mock me, young man!” Mum continued. Ginny laughed. She loved her family.

“Ready, Gin-gin?” George asked.

“Absolutely,” she said, drying her hands on a towel.

“Bye Mum,” she said, wrapping herself around the side of her mum that wasn’t covered in flour.

“Be good, and use your best manners,” Mum said. “Don’t forget to say thank you to Augusta.”

“Of course,” Ginny said. She kissed Dad’s cheek as she grabbed her jacket. “Bye Dad!”

“Have a good night, darling,” he said from his seat at the head of the table.

Ginny followed George outside to the porch. “The Longbottoms, eh?” George said quietly.

“You’re buying magical plants from Neville, you know,” Ginny responded.

“That’s brilliant,” George mused.

Ginny grinned. “You actually should though,” she told him.

George laughed. “We’ll look into it. And off we go,” he said.

They reappeared underneath the stands of the Cannons pitch. George immediately waved his wand in a wide arc. “All clear,” he whispered.

Ginny looked around the underside of the stands, wide-eyed. “Yeah, about this. Have you been breaking in here since that game we all went to?” Ginny asked. “And you never brought me?”

George chuckled. “After all of this, I’ll bring you whenever you want,” he promised. He led Ginny to the locker room and pushed open the door.

Ginny squinted. “Couldn’t they have picked a less-blinding shade of orange?” she asked. George snorted. He sat down on a bench and stared at the ceiling. Ginny wandered around, flipping her DA coin between her fingers.

“Am I an idiot, Ginny?” George asked. Ginny dropped her coin and swore.

“As a general premise, yes,” she said, picking it up again. “Why do you ask?”

“Trusting Percy. Not telling Fred. Letting you be in the middle of all this.”

Ginny considered this for a moment. “Only for the last one,” she decided. “I’m a big girl, and I can make my own decisions.”

“You’ve been making your own decisions since you were three,” George said drily.

“Well then,” said Ginny. “About the other two? No. I don’t think you are. I think you’ll have to tell Fred at some point, and I don’t think it’s going to be pretty,” Ginny said. “But you’re brothers. If you and I can forgive Percy, at least enough to help him with this, then Fred will forgive you.”

George pressed his fingers into his eyes. “I hope so,” he said quietly. He took his fingers down from his eyes. “And how are you managing with Harry gone?” he asked shrewdly.

“Why must everyone ask me that?” Ginny spat, her nerves getting the best of her for a moment. “I’m furious with him. I’m terrified for him. My brother and one of my best friends are gone with him. How do you think I’m managing?”

“Easy, Ginny,” George said. “Sorry I asked. But don’t lose it now. We’ve got work to do.”

Ginny tossed her hair back. “Yes. Be strong. Got it. Percy should be here soon, right?”

And with a crack, Percy and Audrey appeared in the locker room. Ginny dropped her DA coin again and George laughed.

“Audrey Hartz?” Ginny asked over George. “You picked up Audrey Hartz?” George laughed harder.

“What did you tell her?” Percy asked his brother.

“I didn’t say anything!” George said, but he was still chuckling. Audrey looked uncertainly from Weasley to Weasley.

“Er — hello,” she said. “I take it you remember me, then…”

“Sorry,” Ginny said. “I’m Percy’s sister Ginny. I’m friends with Vicky Frobisher, who was in the Charms Club you ran. She talked about you all the time.”

“Oh, yes,” said Audrey, smiling. “She’s very nice.”

“That’s George,” Ginny said. “He’s an idiot.” Audrey’s smile faded, replaced again by uncertainty. Percy glared at his sister.

“He’s the one responsible for helping us,” he said shortly. “What are you doing here, Ginevra? You’re still underage.” Ginny sighed.

“Hi Percy. It’s nice to see you again too,” she said sharply. “Believe it or not, I’m perfectly capable of acting responsibly.”

“She’s really the one responsible for getting Audrey to safety, Perce,” George said, all trace of amusement gone from his face. “She helped coordinate setting up a refuge for Muggleborns with another member of the DA two weeks ago.”

“The DA?” Audrey asked faintly.

“Dumbledore’s Army,” George said. “Ginny named it. Harry Potter started it. Long story. Good people. They’re the ones who are going to protect you. One will be coming here to help us transfer you soon.”

“Did you know Angelina Johnson?” Ginny asked, pulling Audrey over to a bench. “She played Quidditch for Gryffindor.”

“She was the tall girl with braids, right?” asked Audrey.

“That’s her,” said Ginny. “Her mum’s Muggleborn, and so Angelina helped me set this all up. You’re going to Justin’s summer home. It’s under a Fidelius Charm, so you’ll be very safe.”

Audrey looked up at Percy. “You probably won’t be able to visit then,” she said quietly. Ginny looked between the two of them. She hadn’t ever seen that look on Percy’s face.

“It’ll be the safest thing for you, though,” he said. “I’d rather not see you for a while and get to have my whole life with you than risk losing you now.” Percy was bright red and Audrey’s fair cheeks were flushed as well.

George cleared his throat. “I’m going to go look for Angelina,” he said.

“Right behind you.” Ginny shot up. “Percy, Audrey, we’ll be right back,” she added. She and George hurried out of the room.

“I can’t wait to take the mickey for that,” George said, sniggering.

“Bloody uncomfortable, though,” Ginny shot back. George considered that.

“It was,” he agreed. “Look, here’s Angelina.” The tall girl was striding down the hall.

“Ready to go?” she asked. She’d tied her long braided hair back and looked very serious.

“Very nearly,” George said. “Percy and Audrey are just through here.” He paused outside the locker room. “Should we knock?” he asked Ginny. She rolled her eyes and pushed the door open. If Audrey’s hair looked a little more rumpled than before, no one said anything.

“I do have a question,” Percy said. “Who’s the Secret-Keeper?”

Ginny glanced at George, who shrugged. “I am,” she said.

Percy blinked. “You?” he asked. “But —”

“It’s not recorded at the Ministry, then, is it,” Audrey said, smiling slightly. “That was clever.”

Percy deflated.

“Oh I like her,” George whispered to Angelina behind Ginny. Ginny heard a thud and assumed Angelina had kicked him the shin.

“Alright then,” Ginny said over George’s muffled swearing, “Angelina and I are going to take Audrey to Justin’s home, and George and Percy are going to go to Leicester and put some protective enchantments up over Audrey’s family’s houses. We can’t hide them all,” she said to Audrey, “but we can give them a bit of protection.” Audrey’s eyes welled up with tears.

“Thank you,” she whispered. Ginny smiled uncertainly. She hadn’t meant to make the older girl cry.

“We’ll just wait outside for you, then,” Ginny said hastily. “Give you a moment.” She backed into George and Angelina and shoved them out the door.

“You’re worse with crying girls than most blokes are, Ginny,” George said.

“Shut up, George,” advised Angelina. George immediately backed down.

“Teach me your ways, oh mighty one,” Ginny said reverently to Angelina.

Angelina smirked. “Don’t think it will work for you, dear. You’re related to him.”

“Ew. Ange. Really? I did not need to know that.” Ginny stuck her tongue out.

Before George could say anything else, Percy and Audrey stepped out from the locker room. Angelina walked over to Audrey and introduced herself, leaving the three Weasleys standing together.

Ginny looked up at Percy. There were lines around his eyes she didn’t remember. “Do you think maybe you’ll come home now?” she asked, sounding suddenly very young. The question tumbled out before her older self could catch it.

Percy pinched the bridge of his nose, lifting his glasses up for a moment. Ginny had watched Dad do that every time the twins made something new explode. “Would you want me to?” Percy asked, sounding just as young for a moment.

“Yeah,” Ginny said. “You’re my brother. I’m furious, mind you,” she added, and Percy’s mouth twisted into sad little smile. “But we’ve got to start somewhere, don’t you think?”

“I’m not sure everyone agrees with you, Ginny,” Percy said, glancing at George. “But thank you.” He looked at Audrey, standing a ways down the hall with Angelina. “For everything.”

“Once a Weasley, always a Weasley,” Ginny reminded him. “Stay safe.” Feeling impulsive, she stepped forward and hugged him quickly, then turned away and walked towards the other girls.

“Shall we?” she said, tying her hair back with an elastic.

“Hold tight,” said Angelina. Audrey clutched her rucksack closer to her and Ginny squeezed her eyes shut. They were gone before they could hear the crack of Apparition.

They reappeared between two massive trees, hidden from prying eyes.

“The Muggleborn Refuge is at 8 De Courcy Road,” Ginny whispered in Audrey’s ear. She watched as Audrey’s eyes widened, a huge white house appearing suddenly before them. Ginny grabbed Audrey’s hand and pulled her towards the front door, Angelina following closely behind.

Justin opened the door before they got there and quickly ushered them inside. “You must be Audrey Hartz,” he said, offering his hand. “Welcome to the refuge.” Audrey looked completely bewildered by the opulent home.

“Thank you for having me,” she managed to respond.

“I’m headed up,” Angelina said. “My mum’s here, and I haven’t seen her in a while.”

“I’ll come get you when we’re all settled,” Ginny replied, putting a hand on Audrey’s shoulder. Angelina bounded up the stairs. “Let’s find your room, then, shall we?” Ginny said kindly. She sounded like her mum, she thought to herself, but there was nothing for it.

Justin led them down a hallway on the first floor to a pretty corner room done up in green. “We do have a house-elf here named Missy, and she knows you’re in this room,” he explained as Audrey set down her rucksack. “If you need anything just say her name, or come into the kitchen. There’s almost always someone there. Tomorrow I’ll give you the grand tour.” He smiled at Audrey. “I’m glad you’re here, you know. Maybe now someone will join me in the library.”

Audrey smiled back tentatively. “I’d like that,” she said.

“Well, have a good night, then,” Justin said, and backed out.

“He’s always like that, don’t worry,” Ginny said. “He doesn’t realize he’s being charming. But he means well.” Audrey’s smile got a bit more real.

“I do have a question,” she said softly. “I should know this, really, I’ve read it before. But can owls get in and out of a Fidelius?”

“They can’t,” Ginny said gently. “But there’s usually someone in and out here a couple of times a month, so you can send correspondence with them if you’d like.”

Audrey took a deep breath. “That will do, of course,” she said. She looked around the room again. “I feel a little silly,” she said quickly, as if that would make it less embarrassing, “missing him already.”

Ginny shook her head. “I understand, a bit,” she told the older girl. Audrey’s eyes focused on Ginny, and Ginny felt herself look away.

“I shouldn’t ask, I suppose,” Audrey murmured, “but you fancied Harry Potter, didn’t you? Percy mentioned —” She stopped suddenly, and Ginny wondered exactly what Percy had said.

Ginny sighed and pulled out her DA coin, flipping it through her fingers. “I did. We dated, last spring. For a handful of weeks. He broke up with me.”

Audrey was still studying her, and Ginny could see her Ravenclaw mind ticking over. “That didn’t change much, I think. You don’t know where he is now,” she said. It wasn’t a question.

“No,” Ginny said, looking at the ceiling. “And I don’t dare write to him. It might give him away.” She swallowed. “Everyone keeps telling me to be strong,” she admitted. “They keep telling me that he’s Harry Potter, he’ll be fine. I know he’s Harry Potter. That’s why I’m worried.” She tried to laugh but it got caught in her throat.

“I think you’re allowed to worry,” Audrey said. “I worry about Percy. He’s such a horrible liar. He’s very used to being right, you know.” She shook her head, her brown hair waving. “I never met Harry, but he must be very special. That makes you rather special too, I think,” she said earnestly.

Ginny pressed her lips together, trying to control her emotions, and then Audrey took her hand, pressing it between both of hers. Ginny felt her coin slip from her fingers and it clattered against the floor. Audrey picked it up and looked at it, puzzled.

“It’s how the DA communicates,” Ginny explained, grateful for the new topic.

“Aren’t you afraid you’ll lose it?” Audrey asked.

“All the time,” said Ginny.

Audrey turned the coin over several times, peering at it. “Protean Charm, if I’m not mistaken,” she murmured. Ginny nodded. Audrey pulled her wand out of her rucksack and tapped the coin. A matrix of swirling light appeared above it. Ginny had seen Bill do similar things when he was looking at curses. Audrey studied the patterns for a moment, then let them collapse away.

“I can put a little hole in it if you want,” she offered. “Then you could wear it on a chain.”

“Really?” said Ginny. “That would be wonderful.”

Audrey narrowed her eyes and touched her wand tip to the top of the coin, away from any of the markings. When she removed her wand there was a small hole at the top of the coin. She smiled.

“I don’t have a chain for you, but consider that some small way to say thank you,” Audrey said. “Will you come back and visit?”

“Hopefully once more before I go back to school,” Ginny said. Audrey nodded. “Let Justin know if you need anything,” Ginny added. “And Libby Branstone is here, did you ever meet her? She’s sweet.”

“I’ll be fine,” Audrey said. Ginny could hear a tinge of bravado in her voice. “And so will you.” She put her hand on Ginny’s shoulder and squeezed it. “Thank you,” she said again.

“You’re basically a Weasley,” Ginny said, and Audrey blushed. “It’s what we do.” She hugged Audrey and kissed her cheek. “Okay. I’m leaving. Stay safe.”

“You too,” Audrey said as Ginny backed out the door. Ginny gave one last awkward wave before she turned and walked down the hall.
Reviews 47
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear