Search:

SIYE Time:14:24 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Man, a Boy and an Umbrella
By Pottermum

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Fluff, General, Romance
Warnings: Death, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 55
Summary: Harry is left to raise Teddy alone, following the deaths of all those close to him. They return to England after having lived in America for a long time. Harry wants to do what's best for Teddy. Meeting Ginny Weasley will change their lives,
Hitcount: Story Total: 27492; Chapter Total: 4100







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


They never did go for a fly, instead they spent their time talking, holding hands and occasionally kissing. When they heard Ron calling out to them they realised they had been gone for over half an hour. Harry grabbed her hand as they started to walk back, when they met up with Ron and Hermione, who had come looking for them.

“Hey, how was the fly?” asked Ron.

“Good, it was good,” mumbled Ginny, not meeting her brother's eyes.

“Oh, we didn't-” began Harry, at the same time. They looked at each other, flushed and looked away.

“Right, well, Harry, just so you know, best to get your stories straight before you see the parents. Mum can sniff out a lie a mile away,” he chortled.

Hermione grinned over her shoulder at them as they led the way down the path to get back to the house. “He's right,” she agreed. “We learnt that the hard way!”

Ron winced and rubbed his ear. “Did you have to remind me? My ear is still ringing from the lecture Mum gave me, about taking advantage of an innocent young lady. I should have just told her you jumped ME!” cried Ron, winking back at Harry.

“What? Ronald Weasley, I can't believe you just...” And Hermione was off. Harry was worried they were having a full scale row, but Ginny just leaned over to whisper in his ear.

“Don't mind them, this is their idea of foreplay,” she quipped softly.

Hermione's sharp ears did not fail her. “Ginevra Weasley, really, you're as bad as him sometimes,” she reprimanded.

Ginny shrugged innocently, and cheekily looked at Harry. He mouthed 'Ginevra?' to her, and she shrugged.

“Hey. Ron mentioned something about you leaving,” said Harry, just remembering.

“Yeah, I've decided I want to work in obstetrics as my career so I'm going overseas to study the field further,” she said. “I've never been outside England before, except for a trip to Romania and Egypt to visit my brothers when I was younger,” she explained.

“Overseas?” gasped Harry.

Ron slapped him on the back. “I thought you'd be pleased, mate,” he said.

Harry looked confused. “Why would I be pleased? I just met Ginny, and now she's going away.”

“But-didn't I hear you were training to be an Auror?” asked Ron, uncertainly.

Harry nodded. “Although I took a year's leave after Andromeda died,” he explained.

“Isn't all Auror training done in New York? Er, MACUSA, right?” he asked Hermione, to clarify. She nodded.

Harry nodded too. “Yeah, so. We live in Conneticut, not New York. I used to Floo in every day.”

Ron beamed and looked at his sister. “And where are you going to study?” he asked, knowingly.

“Salem,” she said, grinning.

Harry looked at her. “Salem, MASSACHUSETTS?” he yelled.

Ginny nodded, then squealed as he picked her up and twirled her around.

Tori and Teddy came running up to them. “What are you doing, Harry?” asked Teddy.

“Ginny's going to America to train to be an even better healer,” explained Harry. They had resumed walking, and Harry kept Ginny's hand in his.

“That's where we live,” said Teddy, excitedly. “Unless...we move here?”

“That what this trip was all about, deciding where is the best place to raise Teddy,” said Harry to the others.

They had joined the rest of the family by now, but Teddy still had questions. “So, will we see Ginny every day if we go home to America?” he asked.

“It depends where I live, Teddy. I need to find an apartment over there,” she said.

“You could stay with us. You could have Grandma's old room,” shrugged Teddy.

“What's all this?” asked Molly, looking down at Teddy, then at Harry and Ginny's blushing faces.

Teddy quickly spoke up. “Ginny's coming to America and she's gonna live with me and Harry and it's gonna be awesome,” he said confidently.

Molly looked between Harry and Ginny. “Mum, we haven't even-” began Ginny.

“Mrs Weasley, I would never-” began Harry, at the same time.

“Actually, it would give me and Molly peace of mind to know Ginny is with friends while she's away from us,” said Arthur, his arm around Molly's shoulder. He gave her a discreet squeeze.

“Friends?” snorted Ron. “I think-” Whatever Ron thought was cut off as Hermione poked him in the side and frowned at him.

“Of course, we had planned on accompanying Ginny when she first went over there, to help her find a place,” started Arthur, as Molly was still frowning as she looked between the two.

“You'd both be welcome to stay, sir. The house is large. Andromeda, Remus and Tonks shared the lower floor, and Sirius, and I were upstairs. Teddy is upstairs with me now, but there's spare rooms for you to stay and help get Ginny settled,” said Harry happily.

“Harry, are you sure?” asked Ginny quietly.

“Of course your parents would be welcome, Ginny,” said Harry, in surprise.

“No, I meant about me...staying with you,” she clarified. “You don't have to because Teddy thought it would be a good idea.”

“Perhaps you could spend the next few weeks getting to know each other, before you make the final decision,” suggested Arthur.

“Yes,” sighed Ginny in relief. At Harry's hurt look, she explained hurriedly. “I don't want you to regret asking me. Let's get to know each other more. I have to be in America by July first, so that gives us time,” she said.

“You're right, I know,” said Harry. He looked around, happy to see people were moving away to give them some privacy. “I'm sorry if I was moving too fast. It all just seemed too good to be true. I-I'm not used to that in my life.”

Ginny moved into his arms and put her arms around his waist. “It's fine, Harry, I understand. I have a really good feeling about us, so these next few weeks should be fun.” She was determined to make them so for him and Teddy.

/*/*/*/*

Harry couldn't remember the last time he had so much fun. The weeks had flown by. Ginny was still working for the first week, so she usually saw them after her shift.
They ate a lot at the Burrow, but also ate one night at Shell Cottage, Bill and Fleur's home. Teddy and Tori had become fast friends, and Fleur had suggested a sleepover.

Harry was thrilled for the chance of some alone time with Ginny. They were getting closer every day. Ginny stayed that night and, after fooling around a bit, she even slept in the same bed as him, but they didn't go all the way. When he woke the next morning with Ginny in his arms, Harry didn't think life could get any better. Until Ginny woke, glanced at the clock and muttered “Shit!” and ran to the shower to get ready for work.

Harry had chuckled, watching her dress hurriedly and used her wand to secure her hair in a bun of some sort. She was adorable, and he could watch her all day.

“Sorry, have to go,” she apologised, coming over to kiss him quickly.

He halted her, and kissed her deeply. She threw her arms around his neck and he rolled her on top of him. “Harry, I'll be late,” she sighed happily.

“So be late, it's your last day,” he chuckled. He palmed her face. “Last night was brilliant,” he said softly.

“Yeah. Next time let's get naked,” she quipped, then bellowed with laughter at the look on his face.

“Erm, yeah, okay,” he smiled sheepishly. “We can do that.”

Ginny kissed him hard and quick, then rose from the bed. “Now, I really have to go. I'll see you later.”

“Bye,” said Harry, watching her use the Floo to go to work. He sighed happily, aware he was grinning like a loon.

/*/*/*/*

While Ginny was working, and Bill and Fleur had Teddy, Harry used the time to go to Hogwarts, then Godric's Hollow. He was made most welcome by the headmistress and happily met more of the professors. As it was summer holidays, Minerva personally gave him a tour of Gryffindor Tower, specifically pointing out where his parents, Remus and Sirius slept. She then showed him all around the castle, adding an anecdote about one or another of his family every where they went. It meant a lot to Harry, to stand where his mother stood, to sit on the bed his dad had slept on. To gaze upon the Quidditch trophy with his dad's name on it, or see the Whomping Willow, planted to give Remus an exit from Hogwarts on the nights he transformed.

He joined the other professors for lunch, hearing fun stories of the Weasley twins, and even Ginny herself. Madame Sprout spoke fondly of Neville, and Harry was assured he was surrounding himself and Teddy with good people.

After farewelling Hogwarts, Harry decided to go to Godric's Hollow. He had only been there once before, after fleeing with Hagrid when he was a baby. He and Sirius had come to speak with Bathilda Bagshot while searching for Horcruxes, but found her dead. Sirius had taken Harry to the graveyard before they'd had to flee.

Now he had the time to look at the house he'd lived in as a baby. He walked through the gate and up to the front door, then decided not to go in. Not yet. He walked around the back, imagining flights and picnics and good times with his family.

He then wandered over to the graveyard, taking his time to carefully look around. Finally he came to his parents, and he sat there for over an hour, telling them about his life, his heartaches, his love for Teddy, and his new found feelings for Ginny.

He left with his heart full of love, and for once, looking forward to the future. He found Ron and Hermione waiting for him at the Burrow. They offered to take him to the Leaky Cauldron to meet some of their Hogwarts friends whose year he would have been in. He was reluctant until Ron told him Ginny was meeting them there.

They were a lively bunch and Harry enjoyed meeting them all. From Seamus, with his stories of blowing things up, to Luna Lovegood, who told him all about the Crumple-Horned Snorkaks. Harry found Luna a delight and enjoyed hearing the stories of her travels. When Hermione confided to him that Luna was Ginny's best friend, Harry felt like he had been accepted as one of them.

He was disappointed that Dean Thomas wasn't there so he could thank him personally. Ginny had finally got around to showing him the picture Dean had drawn, and he'd been quite touched by it. He planned to send Dean an owl, thanking him, and hoped they could meet up sometime.

The best part, though, was when Ginny finally arrived. She was greeted by them all, but it was Harry, and Harry only, she had eyes for. She made her way to his side and he put his arms around her shoulder and kissed her forehead. It was all so easy, so natural. They left soon after to go and pick up Teddy.

Harry had really hoped she'd stay the night again, but she reminded him that Teddy was back home with him now, and she didn't really feel it was a good idea for her to stay. She kissed him goodbye hurriedly, mindful of little eyes watching their every move. She whispered to him that there was no rush, that they had all the time in the world. He knew she was right, but he still would have liked her to stay.

Their last week spent in England was Ginny taking them to see all her favourite places, and exploring Muggle London. Every day was an adventure, sometimes joined by Bill, Fleur and Tori, or even George, Angelina and Freddie.

Soon it was time to be heading to America. Arthur was so excited, while Molly was more hesitant, feeling out of her depth. They had a big family dinner the night before, then were up as the sun rose, to catch an early Portkey to New York. Harry had explained to them that the Weasley parents would need to get permits for their wands while they were visiting, and he knew the hold up it could take when they arrived. Ginny's wouldn't take as long as she had already been granted a permit to work in the country for a year. She would just need to register her wand and show her permit to be validated.

It was quite a surprise to Harry to see that all the Weasley family had risen early to come to the Ministry to see them off. There were hugs all around, even for him and Teddy. Harry laughed as Teddy blushed when Tori kissed his cheek, as she had seen Bill do to Ginny.

With promises of letters, and International Floo calls and to be home for Christmas, Ginny shed a few tears as she realised she was really leaving home. She managed to grab the Portkey just in time; the last to leave.

The first thing she saw, when she steadied herself and focused, was the huge sign on the wall. 'Welcome to the United States of America.'

Her new life awaited her.
Reviews 55
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear