Search:

SIYE Time:8:24 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


An Open Secret
By CharmHazel

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Neville Longbottom, Other, Ron Weasley
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff, General, Romance
Warnings: Intimate Sexual Situations, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 57
Summary: Harry and Ginny quickly reunite following the end of the war. However, due to the pain and grief of their losses, their own family fails to recognise the love shared and growing between the young couple.
Hitcount: Story Total: 30148; Chapter Total: 4684





Author's Notes:
Thank you for the lovely reviews.

All my chapters are edited and ready to go, so shall be updating regularly.

Thank you to Arnel for editing my story.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Twenty-four hours later, a few hours after Harry had finally woken up, the extended Weasley family was making preparations to return to The Burrow. Not long after the battle had ended, Kingsley had arranged for a team of trustworthy Aurors to check the home for traps and curses that may have been left by Death Eaters. Once confirmed as being cleared, Arthur, Bill and Fleur had gone ahead to reset the wards, which had been torn apart at Easter just after the family had escaped to go into hiding. Arthur had just sent word that the wards were now set and that it was safe for the family to return.

Specially made Portkeys had been set up for the Weasleys and a number of other families via the Ministry to help provide them safe passage home. It was around lunchtime when Mrs Weasley, Charlie, Percy, George, Ron, Hermione, Ginny and Harry entered the ante-chamber just off the Great Hall, the same room which had been used the night the names of the Champions had been drawn from the Goblet of Fire. They were met by the interim Minister for Magic, Kingsley Shacklebolt, a couple of trusted Aurors and other officials from the Ministry.

“My sincerest condolences for your loss,” Kingsley said as softly as he could in his deep voice, as he approached the family. “Bill has informed me that the wards are as safe and as strong as they can be without the need for the Fidelius Charm. However, if you feel you should need any more protection, please don’t be afraid to ask.”

“Thank you Minister,” Mrs Weasley responded, her voice barely above a whisper.

“Please, call me Kingsley, Molly. We have known each other long enough,” he replied as he took her hand in a comforting gesture.

“Sorry, of course, Kingsley,” Mrs Weasley then hesitated, the question she wanted and needed to ask being on the tip of her tongue. “When…..when…..”

The tears began to pour down her face once more, leaving her unable to continue speaking. Ginny and Hermione moved in to support and comfort her as Percy moved forward towards Kingsley.

“Umm…..I believe what my mother wished to ask was in regards to Fred’s body,” Percy spoke the words quickly and quietly.

Before Kingsley could respond, a loud sob escaped from George’s lips, causing everyone to turn and look at him. For a few seconds, no one moved to help or comfort him. No one was sure what to do for the man who was heartbroken beyond belief at losing his best friend, his twin brother. Charlie and Ron moved in and held up George before he could collapse from the grief that consumed him.

Kingsley, realising it was not the time to discuss the issue that Percy had asked about, signalled to one of the Ministry workers to bring over the assigned Portkey.

“I will send the information to The Burrow within the next twenty-four hours,” he replied, receiving a nod in acknowledgement from Percy. “The Portkey will take you to just outside the wards. Please make sure you move quickly inside for your own safety. We are still determining how many Death Eaters have managed to escape.”

After they had all acknowledged Kingsley’s words, a Ministry official handed over the Portkey to Percy and the rest of the family gathered around, placing one finger on the broken piece of wood being used to transport them home. Once everyone was in place, the Ministry worker tapped the Portkey and activated it. Within seconds, the entire extended Weasley family felt the familiar tug at their naval as they were pulled away from Hogwarts.

Harry landed with a thud as the Weasleys arrived just outside the wards of The Burrow. He quickly picked himself up, brushed off the dirt and dust from his clothes, before helping Ginny up from where she had landed.

They both froze as they stepped inside the wards and saw their first glimpse of The Burrow. The ramshackle home, that Harry had come to know and love, amazingly still stood. However, it was obvious even from a distance that it had been ransacked by Death Eaters at some point after the Weasleys had escaped and gone into hiding.

Ginny looked up at Harry, tears glistening in her eyes at the sight of her home having been damaged. Harry met Ginny’s gaze with sympathy and understanding, squeezing her hand, which he still held, in comfort. As everyone began to walk towards the house, he gave her hand a gentle tug and they began to follow.

Just as they reached the house, Arthur and Bill came into view; they moved slowly around the property, while casting spells at it.

“What are they doing?” Harry quietly asked Ginny.

“Stabilising the structure of the house,” Charlie answered having overheard the question. “As the family grew, so did the size of the house. Magic is what helps it stand. It stabilizes and strengthens the walls and floors.”

Despite the structural integrity of The Burrow having been repaired, much of the interior had been severely damaged and would take time to repair. So for the time being, the Weasleys were reduced to living within magical tents, while the work to repair the rooms was completed.

Harry apologised repeatedly, wishing he could offer Grimmauld Place. But he had yet to check it and was uncertain whether the wards would provide safety against any fugitive Death Eaters.

The loss of Fred and the damage to their much beloved home affected everyone differently. Mrs Weasley and George, still both shaken up by Fred’s death, immediately retreated to the tents and did not participate in helping with the repairs. Arthur felt torn between helping out at the Ministry and helping his wife and son to cope with their grief and the need to supervise the repairs. In the end, Bill and Fleur took over the role of their parents, keeping everyone in line, supervising where needed and generally running the household. However, they did retreat back to Shell Cottage every night, both needing the isolation the house gave them to help deal with their own grief.

Charlie began making arrangements for Fred’s funeral, working closely with the Ministry to make sure it did not clash with the many others that also needed to be scheduled. Percy chose to help both Charlie and Bill with various things, while also returning to the Ministry to help with the much needed clear out and arrests of staff that were or sympathized with the Death Eaters. Ron and Hermione threw themselves to helping out after making arrangements to leave for Australia immediately after all the funerals had been held.

Simply put, everyone kept themselves distracted enough so they did not need to continually think about Fred. It was to the point that no one, not one person realised that Harry and Ginny, while working together on a variety of repairs and errands, were falling in love with each other all over again. Neither one of the young couple failed to recognise this and knew very quickly that they would be able to use it to their advantage.
In the days leading up to the funerals, Harry and Ginny chose to avoid the subject of the previous year for the time being. Instead, in the moments they were able to snatch together to be alone, they would sit quietly holding each other as they cried much needed tears of grief or just enjoyed the comfortable silences between them. If they did talk, for now it was just about mundane things of no importance.

It was a week later that the many funerals began. Harry wanted to and did attend every one of them, needing to pay his respects to each person who had willingly given their life so he could complete his task and defeat Voldemort. No one questioned it when Ginny made the decision to accompany Harry. Everyone was still caught up in their grief to notice the couple’s closeness. Harry was grateful for that as he needed Ginny’s support and comfort as the many funerals began to take their toll on him.

By the time of Fred’s funeral, a significant amount of The Burrow had been repaired, allowing the Weasleys to move back in properly. It also meant they would be able to hold the funeral on the property and bury Fred in the garden as they had hoped.

Harry stayed close to Ginny throughout the day, ready to offer comfort when she needed it. It was something she readily accepted often as she struggled to cope with the emotions that the funeral brought with it. Again, no one seemed to question their relationship, all were too caught up with their grief to fully understand the couple’s closeness was much more than they realised.

A few days later, after the final funerals had been held, when Harry found himself sitting outside late at night, that Ginny decided it was the right time to stop avoiding the inevitable conversation they needed to have.

“Hey, you,” Ginny said, capturing Harry’s attention as she sat down next to him. “What are you doing out here?”

“Just thinking,” he replied honestly. “You know, about where we go from here. Not so easy to do in a house that is still so full of grief.”

“It is stifling, isn’t it?” Ginny said with an understanding of what he was trying to say. “Makes it harder to move on with your life if the people around you seem stuck.”

They both sat in a comfortable silence for a few minutes as they contemplated about what they had just said.

“What brought you out here?” Harry asked, breaking the silence between them.

“Can’t a girl just come and spend some quality time with her boyfriend?” Ginny jokingly replied as she reached out and tenderly brushed Harry’s fringe aside.

“Of course you can,” Harry said as he pulled her into his lap and wrapped his arms around her, allowing her to snuggle into him. “But I know you, Gin, there’s something else.”

Ginny knew she could no longer stall. It was now or never. She gathered her thoughts before looking up at Harry.

“I want us to start talking about the past year, just a little bit each day. But we did promise to be completely honest with each other and the only reason we have held back is because of the funerals.”

Harry did not immediately respond. Instead, he brought his hand up and tucked a stray piece of Ginny’s hair behind her ear as he contemplated what he wanted to say.

“I was actually thinking about that and the fact that we do need to talk,” Harry eventually replied. “I want us to have the time and privacy we deserve to be able to do so.”

“What are you saying, Harry?” Ginny asked confused at where he was going with this. It was not really hard to find the time and privacy they needed. The family had barely paid attention to them as individuals, let alone as a couple.

Bill and Fleur were now settled back into Shell Cottage. Charlie had gone back to Romania as soon as the funerals were over. Percy was barely there most days as he was helping the Ministry to get back on its feet. George was still holed up in his room and it didn’t appear that he would be coming out any time soon. Ron and Hermione had left for Australia that morning and would be gone for at least a week or two. As for her parents, well…..they were lucky if they saw them. So therefore, Ginny was confused as to how they needed more time and privacy.

“What I mean is,” Harry said, breaking into her thoughts. “Is that I am thinking of moving out.”

Ginny stared at Harry in shock, not knowing how to respond.

“Why?” she blurted out before she could stop herself.

“Because it is like you said,” Harry explained calmly. “It is just too stifling here. The grief and the pain are too much. I am trying my best not to feel guilty for all the deaths, but…..”

“It is NOT your fault, Harry!” Ginny interrupted.

“I know that, Gin,” Harry sighed. “But being here watching your family fall apart makes me feel like it is. I need to be able to deal with my own feelings about the war and the deaths, but I cannot do that when there is a constant reminder right in front of me. Do you understand what I am trying to say?”

“I do now and I get it. I really do, but…..” Ginny stopped talking, bit her lip and looked away from Harry.
Harry placed a hand on her cheek and gently brought her face back to look at him. It saddened him to see the tears begin to well up in her eyes.

“But what?” he gently encouraged.

“I…..I don’t want to be left here by myself,” Ginny quietly admitted. “I need to deal with my feelings as well and I want to work through it all with you. I want us to work through everything together.”

Harry gave her a small smile.

“And we will. Just not in an atmosphere that is so stifling and constricting.”

Ginny relaxed back into Harry’s arms at these words, feeling more secure and safe than she had in a long time.

“You know that I am not moving out immediately, don’t you?” Harry asked her. “I mean I don’t even know what state Grimmauld Place is in. And even then, I would either need to refurbish a couple of rooms before moving there or find a new place to live.”

“And I expect open invitation to wherever it is you choose to live,” Ginny joked.

“Actually I expect you to be there as often as you can!”

Ginny looked up in shock.

“Really?”

“Yes, really!” Harry laughed. “I mean I don’t think it would be a good idea for you to move in with me immediately, but I don’t mind if you spend the night once in a while, once you turn seventeen.”

Ginny frowned, not impressed with the conditions Harry had set.

“Hey, don’t look at me like that,” Harry said as he caressed her cheek with his hand. “I am not being like that to upset you. I would much rather you are with me all the time, but…..”

“There is the little matter of my parents,” Ginny interrupted. “And the fact that they would not be too impressed with me if they actually realised I had moved out to live with a boy who they don’t even know I am dating.”

“Exactly!”

Harry bent down, pulled her body closer and then kissed her passionately.

“Being that we have time and privacy right now,” Harry said as he pulled away. “Do you want to make a start on exchanging stories from the past year?”

“We might as well. Where do you want to start?” Ginny agreed, shifting herself to get comfortable.

“Well, I think I should start with some background before we start on the past year or none of it will make sense.”

Ginny nodded.

“It all began…..”

For the next hour, they sat snuggled up outside as they began to tell each other what had happened over the
past year, allowing their healing to begin.
Reviews 57
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear