Search:

SIYE Time:8:53 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Family Duty
By potterfan2008

- Text Size +

Category: The Burrow Secret Challenge (2016-3), The Burrow Secret Challenge (2016-3)
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Disturbing Imagery
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 67
Summary: *** Winner of Best Overall in the Burrow Secret Challenge ***
For five hundred years, the House of Prewett has kept watch over a secret artifact and protected a powerful secret. Molly Weasley, as the last member of the House, is called upon to protect the wizarding world. Bill, Ginny, and Harry assist her in completing the Prewett Family Duty.
Hitcount: Story Total: 14825; Chapter Total: 2471





Author's Notes:
Thanks so much to my betas Arnel and seekers_destiny! Thanks especially to seekers_destiny for catching a major plot hole! I'm glad so many people are enjoying the story. I wasn't sure if Medieval England and Harry Potter would appeal to others, but I'm glad it does. Happy Halloween!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


August 1998

Hermione looked up as Mrs Weasley returned from her trip. Her day’s research didn’t uncover anything and she was feeling more concerned than ever. Whilst she and Ron had gone into town, Harry had joined Ginny in London.

“I thought it was a family obligation and she couldn’t say anything about it,” Hermione said angrily.

“Don’t worry,” Ron reassured her. “Harry will tell us everything when he returns.”

“He better,” Hermione grumbled. “This worries me. What could be so important that they need to go every year on the same day?”

Ron shrugged unconcerned. “I don’t know, but my dad isn’t worried.”

“Does he know?”

“Hermione, you were the one who found out they went to London the year we went to Egypt. Obviously, my dad and Bill knew they’d gone. If it was anything worrying, they would have said something.”

Not entirely reassured, Hermione watched as Mrs Weasley started making dinner. Walking into the kitchen, she asked, “Can I help?”

Mrs Weasley looked up in surprise. “That would be lovely, dear. Would you mind chopping some carrots?”

“Of course not,” Hermione replied as she pulled a cutting board and knife closer to her. Once she started her chore, she asked, “How was your day?”

“It was lovely,” Mrs Weasley replied with an easy smile. “Harry joined us for lunch. He and Ginny decided to go visit the British Museum. Ginny and I enjoy visiting the museum and she wanted to show Harry some of her favourite exhibits. Did you and Ron have a nice day?”

“We did,” Hermione admitted. “Ron and I walked into town and had lunch together. We walked around the town square. I don’t remember spending much time there in the past.”

The two women worked together well and Hermione began to relax. The two chatted about the museum and Hermione was surprised to discover Mrs Weasley was quite familiar with it. Maybe this wasn’t so much a huge secret or a family obligation as a fun day between mother and daughter. Looking over at Mrs Weasley, Hermione couldn’t imagine her being involved in anything irregular.

Harry and Ginny arrived in time for dinner. Hermione noticed they were both carrying bags from the British Museum as well as bags from a bookshop. She was intrigued. When they pulled the books from the bag, she noticed several books on the Plantagenets, Richard III, and the Princes in the Tower.

“Richard III?” Hermione asked derisively.

“What’s wrong with that?” Ginny asked. “I find it interesting.”

“Do you even know who he is?” Hermione asked. “He usurped the throne and killed his nephews. He’s one of the most reviled kings in British history. I can’t imagine what you would find interesting about him.”

“I’ve read some books that don’t think he killed the princes,” Ginny said. She shrugged. “I like the mystery of it all. I’ve always been interested in that time period.”

Hermione shook her head. “I can’t see how much of a mystery it is. Richard wanted to be king and took out those who stood in his way.”

Shrugging, Ginny said, “Well, I am interested. I’m surprised you would discourage anyone from reading.”

“I’m not discouraging you,” Hermione protested. “I’m just surprised, that’s all. I didn’t think most witches and wizards were interested in Muggle history.”

“It’s our history too,” Ginny said. “Obviously, we have additional wizarding history, but what happens in the Muggle world affects everyone.”

“I wish more people had that attitude.” Glancing over at the younger witch, she asked, “Do you want to go to Diagon Alley tomorrow? I’m anxious to get my books.”

Ginny sighed. “I will go with you.”

Hermione sent a quizzical glance over towards Ginny. “Why aren’t you more excited about going to Diagon Alley? It used to be one of your favourite things to do.”

Realizing she was going to have to break the news to Hermione, Ginny sighed and pulled the older witch up to her room. “Hermione, I’m not going back to Hogwarts this year.”

“What?!”

Hermione’s shout brought Ron and Harry up the stairs. She rounded on them. “Did you know about this?”

Harry made his way over to Ginny’s side while Ron asked in confusion, “What are you talking about?”

“Ginny isn’t returning to Hogwarts!” Hermione yelled. She glared at Harry. “Was this your idea?”

“No!” Ginny yelled. “This isn’t Harry’s fault. It’s no one’s fault. I don’t want to go back. I’ve been tortured and seen people killed there.”

“I’ve been tortured and seen people killed there as well,” Hermione scoffed.

“You were tortured as part of a classroom exercise? For detention?”

“No,” Hermione huffed. “You are just using that as an excuse.”

“That’s out of line,” Harry said angrily. “Ginny went through some awful experiences her whole time at Hogwarts — she’s been possessed, been exposed to Dementors, and taught by Death Eaters. Why should she be forced to return?”

“She needs her education,” Hermione said shrilly.

“I’m going to continue my education,” Ginny said calmly. “I’m still going to take my NEWTs. I just won’t be at Hogwarts.”

Hermione glared at her, but Ginny calmly met her eyes. “I’m sorry, Hermione. I’m sorry you were planning on me going back to school, but I won’t be there. I’ve already discussed it with my parents and they’ve agreed to my plan.”

“But I just want one year with us all together,” Hermione protested. “One quiet, fun year.”

“I’m sorry, Hermione.” Ginny said blinking back tears. “I wish I could have that, but I honestly don’t think that is right for me.”

Hermione’s face softened as she took in Ginny’s expression. She’d heard some of the stories about what happened the previous year. The thought occurred to her that she would hate if someone forced her to return to Malfoy Manor.

“I’m going to miss you,” Hermione said.

Ron and Harry watched as the two girls tearfully embraced. Shaking his head, Ron left the room. Harry stayed for a minute to make sure the two weren’t going to start arguing again, but then he left as well.




Dinner was a quiet affair. Hermione noticed Ginny speaking quietly to her mother on several occasions. After dinner, Ron gestured for Harry to join them. Harry kissed Ginny on the cheek and joined them outside. As they walked towards the paddock they used for a Quidditch pitch, Hermione couldn’t restrain her questions anymore.

“What is going on? Where did you go? What did you find out? Is everything okay?”

Harry held up his hand laughing. “Hermione, calm down.” Sobering, he replied, “I can’t answer any of your questions. Mrs Weasley asked me, Ginny, and Bill to help her with her family obligation. I can’t reveal anything else. I promise at some point in the future we will be able to tell you.”

“What?” Hermione was aghast at his answer. “Harry, you’ve shared everything with us in the past.”

“Yeah, mate, if you have a task to do, you just tell us what we need to do,” Ron spoke up. “We’ll have your back.”

“I can’t,” Harry repeated miserably.

“It’s my family,” Ron said heatedly. “You need to let me know what is going on.”

“No, he doesn’t,” came a voice from behind them.

Hermione and Ron turned in irritation while Harry turned in relief to find Bill behind them. Bill glared at his brother. “Ron, you know about family duty. Mum has always let us know that she has a family duty she can’t talk about.”

“So why does Harry know?” Hermione asked.

“Why do you and Ginny know?” Ron asked.

Shaking his head, Bill replied, “I can’t answer all of your questions either. This is a Prewett family matter. Harry was asked to assist us.”

“A Prewett family matter?” Hermione looked between the two brothers. “Why does that mean you and Ginny can know, but not Ron?”

“Mum performed the magical inheritance test and Ginny and I have the most Prewett magic,” Bill explained. “Please don’t be angry at us. If we could tell you we would, but we can’t.”

“But secrets are dangerous!” Hermione burst out. Turning to Harry she said, “Didn’t you say that you didn’t like Dumbledore’s habit of keeping secrets? Why are you doing the same?”

“I still don’t like or agree with Dumbledore’s decision to keep so much information from me,” Harry agreed. “This is different. Secrets are important at times. Did you tell anyone what our mission was last year? We still have some secrets that very few people know. Would you like me to start telling everyone about the Deathly Hallows?”

“How do you know you won’t need our help?” she asked. “I’m good at research.”

Harry smiled gently. “You are brilliant at research, but we will have to muddle along without your help. You know it would make you crazy not to know everything. I promise if there is something we need your help for, I will ask you.”

Turning, Harry and Bill headed back to the house leaving behind a frustrated Hermione and Ron.

“We need to find out what is going on,” Hermione said in a determined voice.

“I don’t think so,” Ron said in resignation. “They would have told us if they could.”

Widening her eyes, Hermione glared at her boyfriend. “How can you say that? We need to help them.”

“Hermione, I know you hate not knowing what is going on, but if there is old magic involved we don’t want to mess around with it.” Seeing her disagreement, he pressed on. “Bill is very clever. He will make sure everything is done properly. It might not be anything.”

“If it’s not anything, why can’t they tell us about it?”

“Merlin, Hermione, there is old magic involved! Several people have told us so. Do you want to trigger some horrid reprisal because we stuck our nose where it wasn’t wanted?”

Hermione rolled her eyes and gave in with little grace. “I suppose not. I just hate that Harry has another task. He hates research and is much better with just jumping into things. Who will keep him from acting too soon? Who will make sure he has all the information he needs?”

“I don’t know that we had all that much luck from keeping him from acting too soon,” Ron laughed. “Did we keep him from robbing Gringotts and riding out on a dragon? Hell, we couldn’t even keep him from walking out to face You-Know-Who. He manages just fine on his own. Bill and Ginny are both quite clever and my mum is pretty brilliant too.”

As he was talking, Ron slid his arm around her shoulders. “Don’t worry. You’ll be starting back to school soon.”

The pair slowly made their way back to the Burrow, stopping a few times to enjoy the beautiful night with someone special. When they arrived in the back garden, they found Mr Weasley walking towards his shed.

“Ron, Hermione, come and join me for a few minutes.”

Hermione looked around Mr Weasley’s shed in interest. She’d never been in before. There were many deconstructed items on the workbench. She could identify a blender and phone, but some items she would have to study to identify.

Mr Weasley smiled at the couple. “I understand that the two of you have some concerns about your mother’s and sister’s family obligation.”

“Yes!” Hermione burst out.

He held up his hand to stop Hermione from continuing. “I want the two of you to listen to me carefully. This is important.”

Pausing he met each of their gazes to waited for them to nod. Looking at Ron, he began. “Soon after I married your mother, your grandfather Prewett pulled me aside. He explained that their family was under an obligation to fulfil a duty. Obviously, he was unable to go into details, but he was able to tell me it was a longstanding obligation dating back several hundred years. He also told me that he believed this generation might be called upon to complete this duty and fulfil their ancestor’s promise.”

Hermione listened in confusion. “But he didn’t tell you anything.”

“He couldn’t,” Mr Weasley said simply. “Several weeks after Molly’s brothers died, I came home to find her upset but determined. I realized that the family obligation had passed on to her. While I don’t know what it is, I am determined to support her as much as possible. When the children were younger I used to take Ron to work with me so Ginny could go with her mother.”

“Bill said something about him and Ginny having more Prewett magic than the others,” Hermione said. “What does that mean? Wouldn’t everyone inherit the same amount of magic?”

Mr Weasley shook his head. “Magic is a wonderful and sometime fickle gift. Just look at how some families produce Squibs. When a baby is in the mother’s womb, they are swimming in magic from both families. The way my father explained it to me is that the magic finds compatibility in a child. That is why some people are so much stronger in their magic than others.”

“But you can make yourself stronger by learning and practising spells,” Hermione objected.

“You can improve your knowledge and ability,” Mr Weasley agreed, “but the strength of your magic stays the same. Look at Harry — I understand that even back in his first year you knew he was a great wizard in the making. That is the strength of his magic that you felt.”

“Is that why he’s allowed to know what is going on?” Ron asked.

“I honestly don’t know,” Mr Weasley replied. “I know your mother is very diligent and careful. She is very aware of the honour of being able to fulfil a family obligation. She would not involve Harry unless she was convinced he was important.”

Looking at the young couple, he said, “What I am saying is that our obligation is to support them, not badger them with questions they can’t answer.”

“But what if they need our help?” Hermione asked.

“If they truly need our help, they will ask. I know it is frustrating, but I trust my wife. Bill and Ginny will both fulfil their part and our part is to be there for them.”

Ron nodded and Hermione reluctantly agreed. Mr Weasley smiled. “While I have the two of you here, I wanted to remind you that your sister is an adult. Allow her and Harry to spend time together or you may find your own private time together severely restricted.”

The tips of Ron’s ears turned red. “Dad, she’s…”

“She is an adult and a beautiful young woman. Harry is your best friend. I would imagine you would want them to be happy.”

“I do,” Ron admitted.

“Good, leave them alone.”





Ginny squeezed Harry’s hand as they walked from Hogsmeade up to the castle. It had taken Harry a matter of minutes to obtain Kingsley’s permission to review the Hogwarts’ past class lists, now they were going to talk to Professor McGonagall.

“We should stop in Hogsmeade and have lunch,” Harry said. He grinned at her. “I’ve wanted to take you to Hogsmeade for a long time.”

She laughed. “I wanted to go with you for a long time.”

Harry stopped walking and tugged her toward him. Wrapping his arms around her, he said, “Ginny, will you go to Hogsmeade with me?”

Laughing she wrapped her arms around his neck. “Absolutely,” she whispered before kissing him deeply.

Time lost meaning as Harry lost himself in the beauty and fire that was Ginny. He slid one hand into her hair whilst the other explored the soft, enticing skin of her lower back. When he finally pulled back, he rested his forehead on hers. “I love you, Ginny.”

She beamed. “I love you, too.”

When Harry had first confessed his feelings, Ginny had been shocked. Not so much at what they were, but that he admitted them. She’d thought it would take him a while to admit he loved her, but she discovered that when the two of them were alone he could be very open with her.

Kissing her again, Harry said, “Let’s go. There are some places in the castle I’ve always wanted to kiss you.”

When they came within sight of the gates, they stopped again. This time it was to look at the new memorial. It was beautiful marble wall with an eternal flame in front of it. The wall was inscribed with the names of all of those who died in the Battle of Hogwarts. Memorials were also being created in the castle itself and one at the Ministry of Magic to acknowledge all of those who died in the war. Professor McGonagall felt it was important that people be able to easily visit this memorial without trespassing on Hogwarts’ grounds. The memorial had just been completed.

“It’s beautiful,” Harry said as he glanced over at his girlfriend.

She blinked back tears as she looked over the names. Running her fingers over her brother’s name, tears fell down her cheeks. Harry wrapped his arms around her and offered her comfort as she had done when they’d visited his parents’ grave site in Godric’s Hollow.
After a few minutes, she took the handkerchief that Harry offered her. Wiping her eyes, she pulled her wand and conjured up some daffodils — Fred loved daffodils. They joined the other offerings that had already been left at the wall.

Harry was coming to terms with all of the deaths he felt he could have prevented. Kingsley had spent a lot of time with the young wizard and helped him realize that if he continued to blame himself for those who died, it took away their sacrifice. Everyone who fought did so because they wanted to see the end of Voldemort’s rule. It was hard, but he was slowly letting go of his guilt.

Ginny kissed him on the cheek. “Thank you, love.”

He smiled and they continued on through the gate. Hagrid waved to them. He was busy repairing the damage to the grounds and Forbidden Forest. Harry had helped him several days and enjoyed the time spent with his largest friend. Two construction teams were working on the towers and from the sounds of it, there were more teams working inside the castle.

“It looks good,” Harry said.

“Are you questioning your decision not to return?”

He shook his head. “No, I love Hogwarts, but I need to move on. I’m sure there is still a lot more they could teach me, but I don’t think I could do it. I feel so much older than most of the students. The thought of eleven-year-olds attending school with those who fought in a war doesn’t seem right.

“I know Hermione is determined to return, but I don’t think she should. In a perfect world, the student body would start over without those affected by the war. I know that’s not possible — all of you were exposed to Death Eaters ideals and punishments.” He squeezed her hand as he mentioned punishments. Some of the stories she’d told him caused more than a few nightmares.

Ginny nodded. “I know. I’m not the only seventh year student not returning. Luna still hasn’t decided. I think it will be harder for Hermione than she realizes. She will be quite a bit older than most of the students and she never tried very hard to make friends.”

“She means well, but sometimes her attitude turns people against her,” Harry said with a smile. “I bet she will surprise us. She’s certainly changed a lot from her first year when your brother described her as a nightmare.”

She laughed. “He’s certainly changed that opinion.”

“Didn’t you find it odd that Ron didn’t even try to come with us this morning?”

“I think dad talked to him. I mentioned to mum what he’d been doing, not giving us any time alone.”

“That was nice. I would have thought your parents would agree with him.”

“I was actually a bit surprised as well, but Mum was rather understanding when I talked to her.”

By this time they’d arrived at the castle. Professor McGonagall was waiting for them in the Entrance Hall.

“Mr Potter, Miss Weasley.”

“Professor.”

The three talked about the rebuilding as they walked up to the Headmistress’ office. While she expressed her disappointment they wouldn’t be returning, she understood their feelings. Professor McGonagall had not yet moved into the Headmaster’s office so she showed them to her old office.

“What can I do for you?”

“We are helping my mum with some research,” Ginny explained. “We wanted to search the past lists of Hogwarts’ students going back almost five hundred years. Due to a family obligation, we are searching for a particular family. We know that at least one member attended Hogwarts so we are hoping that more of them did.”

Reaching into his pocket, Harry pulled out the note of permission from the Minister for Magic. “I was told we needed approval of both the Headmistress and the Minister for Magic.”

The older witch nodded as she read the note from Kingsley. “I have no problem with you searching our records — once classes are back in session. While the repairs are almost complete, there are still areas of the castle that are dangerous and unfortunately one of those areas is the library. After the first of September, you can use our facilities as long as you don’t interfere with anyone’s education.”

She surveyed the couple over the top of her glasses. “I will make an announcement at the Welcome Feast that you will be here from time to time. I’m afraid if I don’t it might start a riot. We can intimate that you are studying for your NEWTs.”

Harry nodded. He didn’t like the fact that his presence would be announced, but he could understand her caution.




3 September, 1998

Dear Mum, Ginny, and Harry,

Fleur and I are having a wonderful time in Egypt. I’ve been able to take her to some of the tombs on which I worked. I love spending time in the desert.

I’ve spoken to my mentor, Mina Harker. She has several ideas for our projects. We will be spending some time in Cairo exploring the Cairo Museum. We will test some of her ideas.

We will return by the twenty-fourth of September.

Love to everyone,

Bill and Fleur





October 1998

Harry brought another book back to the table he and Ginny had appropriated in the back of the library. When she looked up, he kissed her briefly.

She smiled. “What did you find?”

“This is a history of the fifteenth century,” Harry said as he used his wand to dispel all of the dust. “I don’t think anyone has opened it since then. I found a reference to it in another book and thought I’d see what is in here.”

Nodding, she went back to reading through the school awards from the seventeenth century. It was rough going as they really didn’t know what name the family may have used. Richard’s official name was Richard of Shrewsbury, Duke of York, Duke of Norfolk. It was unlikely they used any name associated with him, but they also couldn’t use de Mowbray as Anne had been declared dead.

With Professor McGonagall’s permission, Ginny had spoken to the Headmaster Edmund Sedlow who had been headmaster during the late fifteenth century. He was able to verify that Anne de Mowbray had been a student. Unusually for women of that era, she completed all seven years and obtained five NEWTs. Many women of the day stopped after achieving their OWLs. Unfortunately, Headmaster Sedlow did not know anything else about her. He did not involve himself in his students’ private lives, so he was unsure if she was married or even if her husband lived with her. He was fairly certain that Richard did not attend Hogwarts, but he didn’t know for sure.

“Do you know why the Prewetts didn’t simply keep track of Anne de Mowbray’s and Richard’s family? It would make this task much easier.”

Ginny laughed. “I asked Mum the same question. In the documents her brothers left her, they explained that in the late seventeenth century the Prewett charged with the duty died young and his children were young — his oldest son was an infant. When the oldest son reached his majority, he found the information his father had the foresight to save for him, but it had been twenty years and there was no sign of the family. I guess the information was patchy. He was able to put the story together, but he couldn’t find the family name.”

Harry groaned. Ginny nodded. “I know, but it is amazing that so much information has come down to us intact. The charm work done by Josiah Prewett saved the original information, but some of the information added later was lost.”

“Well, I guess if the task was easy there wouldn’t be so much honour in being able to fulfil it,” Harry smiled.

Turning back to the book, Harry used the indexing charm that Hermione had taught them and found the first page with a mention of Anna de Mowbray. He gasped at what he saw.

“What’s wrong?” Ginny asked.

Wordlessly Harry slid the book in front of her. Her eyes widened when she saw the picture of a beautiful young lady dress in dark blue robes. She had long red hair that was worn in a long plait over one shoulder. She looked a lot like Ginny with beautiful red hair except she had blue eyes.

“She’s pretty,” Harry commented. “Of course, all of the prettiest witches are red-heads.”

Ginny laughed as she rolled her eyes. Pulling the picture closer she examined it carefully. “She doesn’t have any of these horrid freckles — in some ways she reminds me pictures I’ve seen of my great-great-great aunt.” She wrinkled her nose in thought. “There might be a few more greats in there I’m not sure. She was the last female Weasley.”

“I like your freckles.” Harry objected.

Looking up at Harry who was now standing over her looking down at the picture, Ginny kissed him before returning her focus to the picture.

“Could you be related to her?” Harry asked cautiously.

Ginny shrugged. “I don’t really know. My parents have never made a really big deal over blood lines. I can trace my family back a few generations on each side and I know they are both part of the Sacred Twenty-Eight of pure-blooded families. I will ask Mum. She’s researching the wizarding genealogy. I can’t really imagine it would be our family — there is no one pregnant.”

“Are you sure?” Harry asked.

“We need to talk to Bill.”
Reviews 67
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear