Search:

SIYE Time:18:48 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Family Duty
By potterfan2008

- Text Size +

Category: The Burrow Secret Challenge (2016-3), The Burrow Secret Challenge (2016-3)
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Disturbing Imagery
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 67
Summary: *** Winner of Best Overall in the Burrow Secret Challenge ***
For five hundred years, the House of Prewett has kept watch over a secret artifact and protected a powerful secret. Molly Weasley, as the last member of the House, is called upon to protect the wizarding world. Bill, Ginny, and Harry assist her in completing the Prewett Family Duty.
Hitcount: Story Total: 14823; Chapter Total: 2576





Author's Notes:
Thank you to my wonderful betas, Arnel and seekers_destiny! I'm glad to discover that I am not the only one who loves both Harry Potter and British history! This chapter does contain spoilers for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. The history of Jacquetta of Luxembourg that I have given is true, she was put on trial for witchcraft. I couldn't help but include her in the story!

This story does go slightly over the 20,000 word limit suggested for the challenge. I tried to keep it under the limit, but I wanted to wrap up the loose ends. Sorry about that.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


April 1999

It was a beautiful spring afternoon that seemed at odds with a missing pregnant woman. Harry and Ginny were waiting on the columned portico of the British Museum for Bill’s mentor Mina Harker. They were casually dressed. Harry was wearing jeans and a t-shirt with a denim jacket. Ginny wore a blue sundress with a lighter blue sweater. Together they easily blended in with the rest of the museum visitors.

Harry was seemingly leaning casually against one of the columns, but if one looked carefully his surveillance of the area was visible. With one hand he held Ginny’s hand, but the other was resting on the handle of his wand.

He spotted a young woman also dressed in Muggle clothing. Harry could tell she was a witch, but like them she easily blended into the crowd. Her intelligent blue eyes were what drew his attention. Her eyes completed the normal peek to the scar on his forehead before looking directly at him. “Mr Potter?”

“I am Harry Potter. Please call me Harry. Are you Mina Harker?”

The witch nodded and smiled. “Miss Weasley, it is nice to meet you. Your brother talks about you quite a lot. He is very proud of you.”

“Thank you,” Ginny said. “Please call me Ginny.”

Mina nodded. “Harry, Ginny, are you ready?”

The couple nodded. The three entered the museum and made their way up to the proper gallery. Along the way they passed two school groups following their teachers through the gallery.

Ginny giggled when she spotted two young boys straggling behind their group whispering. “That would have been you and Ron.”

Harry smiled. “I don’t know what you are talking about. We were always well behaved.”

Rolling her eyes, she simply laughed. “Of course.”

He squeezed her hand and kissed her on the cheek. When they reached the Roman Britain gallery, they discovered a small tour group following an older lady who was lecturing them about the artefacts on display.

“We will wait for them to finish,” Mina whispered. “I don’t want them to later wonder why they didn’t hear all about the gallery.”

Harry nodded. Ginny tugged on his hand and showed him some of her favourite pieces. They walked around keeping an eye on the other patrons. When the tour group left, Mina discretely drew her wand and cast a strong Muggle-Repelling Charm. Harry watched as it took hold of those still in the gallery. They started looking around and Harry heard a few conversations about needing to leave the gallery.

The gallery was cleared out in just a few moments. Harry cast an obscuring spell so no one looking into the gallery would see them. Mina walked over to the case holding the golden crown of Richard of Shrewsbury, Duke of York; Duke of Norfolk. Casting sensing spells on the case, she raised an eyebrow. “This is saturated with spells.”

Harry nodded. “Are you ready?”

With Harry standing guard, Mina cast the Freezing Charm and cast a preservation spell on the contents of the case so that none of the artefacts would be harmed. She carefully removed the glass while Ginny reached in and took the crown. They had decided that it would be best if a Prewett was the one who actually handled the crown in case there were spells on the crown they hadn’t anticipated. She was able to easily pull it out of the case.

The crown was quickly placed in a velvet bag which Ginny placed in a pocket inside her sweater. The bag faded out of sight, leaving no sign of the precious artefact she was carrying. Mina quickly replaced the glass and made sure the Muggle alarms were intact. When she was done, she nodded to Harry who removed the Muggle-Repelling and Obscuring Charms.

As tourists started filing into the gallery once again, the three magical people hurried out of the museum. When the exited the building, Mina turned to the other two. “If you need any more help, let me know. Bill is one of the best men I’ve worked with and he’s saved my life on more than one occasion. If I can help with his wife and child, I will.”

“Thank you,” Ginny said. “I will let you know.”




May 1999

Fleur stifled a groan as she felt another labour pain take hold. Over the past two days, she’d felt the baby drop and she knew she could go into full blown labour at any time. She’d tried to keep track of time in her beautiful cell. It had been a little over a week since she’d been taken from her home. If she’d calculated the days correctly, it was May the first. Her due date was in less than a week.

Hurry, Bill! she thought. To her surprise, she’d seen no one except the little elf who she’d finally discovered was named Jelena. Occasionally she could hear others moving around the house, but she didn’t know why she’d been captured.

Jelena popped into the room. “Bonjour, Madame.”

“Bonjour, Jelena.”

Jelena looked at the beautiful woman in concern. “Madame, you didn’t tell me you are almost ready for your baby.”

“Please, Jelena. I cannot have my baby here.”

The little elf was conflicted. She knew the baby would be in danger.

“Jelena, do you know who Harry Potter is?”

Jelena’s eyes widened. Of course she knew of the great Harry Potter, he had defeated the Dark Lord. She’d heard rumours of his greatness and his concern even for lowly house-elves. Cautiously she nodded.

“Harry is my brother-in-law,” Fleur said figuring he wouldn’t mind if she made their relationship a bit closer than it actually was. After all they would be in-laws someday. “He is helping my husband look for me. Can you tell him where I am?”

The little elf started shaking at the thought of betraying her masters. Could she? Technically she’d belonged to Bellatrix Lestrange and Rodolphus had never confirmed his ownership. Was that enough of a technicality that she could betray him? “I don’t know,” she whispered.

“Do you know why they want my baby?”

Reluctantly Jelena nodded. “It is something bad. They wants a new Dark Lord or Dark Lady.”

“Why my baby?”

“I doesn’t know,” Jelena said sadly. “The Dark Lord’s baby died. They needs a new baby.”

“The Dark Lord? Voldemort had a baby?”

A scared look came over Jelena’s face. “Jelena is not allowed to talk about it.”




May 1999

Harry looked as an otter Patronus sailed into the hotel room where he was working with Molly. Bill and Ginny had gone out to check another possible location.

“Harry, Elizabeth Woodville’s mother, Jacquetta of Luxembourg was a member of the House of Luxembourg. She was raised in a manor home in the County of Artois in what was then part of the Duchy of Burgundy, but is now in northern France.” Hermione’s voice rang throughout the room. Molly hurried to the large map on the wall and found the area Hermione was referencing.

The Patronus continued, “I don’t know if this helps, but Jacquetta was rumoured to be a witch. She supposedly helped her daughter become Queen of England.”

As the Patronus faded away, Molly waved her wand over the area in question. “There is a wizarding estate in the area.”

Harry rummaged among the documents on the desk. He pulled out a scroll and quickly scanned it. “Yes! There is a possible Lestrange estate in that area.”

Molly quickly sent a message to her son and daughter who joined them in less than ten minutes. Bill’s face was hopeful as Molly explained what they’d discovered.

“Harry is downstairs checking us out of the hotel,” Molly explained. “He was able to find a hotel in the town near the manor and he made reservations for us.”

Three hours later, the four were checking into their hotel suite. Molly and Ginny shared one room while Bill had the other bedroom. Harry would sleep in the main room. Even though it was late, Bill wanted to head right out to see the manor house.

“We need to eat first,” Molly said firmly. “I don’t think any of you have eaten since this morning. You need to keep up your strength.”

While Bill grumbled slightly, he agreed. The four went down to the hotel restaurant on the ground floor. They were seating near the large window overlooking the town square. There was a beautiful fountain in front of them.

As Bill finished his steak, he gave his mother a faint smile. “You were right. We needed to eat.”

She patted his hand. “Why don’t we change into more appropriate clothes? We will go out and explore the area around the manor.”

Harry had just finished pulling on a long sleeved black shirt when there was a pop behind him. A small, dirty house-elf stood in front of him. For a moment, Harry had a strong sense of déjà vu. “Can I help you?”

By this time, the others had emerged from their rooms with their wands drawn. The elf seemed to draw back into herself. Harry waved them back and knelt near the elf. “I’m Harry Potter. Were you looking for me?”

The little elf nodded. “Madame told me to find you. It is almost time for her baby.”

“Fleur?” Bill burst out. “My wife?”

“You are Bill?”

He nodded with tears in his eyes. The elf looked around at the other two. Harry hastily introduced the two women.

“I am Jelena, sir.” Looking between Harry and Ginny, she asked, “She be your mate?”

Harry nodded. “Can you take us to Fleur?”

“I can’t go through the magic with other peoples.”

Pointing to the location of the manor on the map, Harry asked, “Is this where we need to go?”

Jelena nodded. “You need to come quickly. Jelena will protect Madame and the baby until you come.”

“If you can’t go through the magic with us, can you take us to just outside the magic?”

After hesitating a moment, Jelena nodded. “I can take one person at a time.”

“Harry first,” Bill said.

Nodding the elf quickly transported the four of them in rapid succession to outside the manor. Bill had his wand out determining the type of wards even as Jelena headed back into the house. The others stood guard while Bill meticulously took down the wards, one by one.

Thirty minutes later, Bill said, “That’s the last one. They didn’t seem to have improved on the wards recently.”

“There are four people in the house,” Harry said concentrating. Looking up at the building, he pointed to a third floor window. “Fleur is up there. The two Lestrange brothers are on the ground floor. There is another witch in that wing. I don’t know who she is.”

“We need to assume she’s hostile,” Molly said firmly. She handed Bill his wife’s wand. “Take Ginny and go get Fleur.”

The two nodded. Unlike the previous year when Ginny had protested being left out of the fight, she nodded without complaint. Her job was to protect Fleur and the baby. Harry and her mother would confront the Lestranges.




Fleur groaned as she felt another labour pain rip through her. There was a rattling at the door before it burst open. Bill and Ginny had come to rescue her. Backing up against the wall she held out her hand, they both stopped.

“Beel, where did we first meet?”

“I first saw you at Hogwarts when I went to see Harry during the Triwizard Tournament. We didn’t meet properly until Swiftclaw introduced us.”

Fleur sagged against the wall and Bill was at her side in an instant. “Are you okay, love?”

“I’m in labour,” Fleur admitted. “I was so worried I would have ze baby without you.”

Bill wrapped his arms around her and held her tight while Ginny watched the corridor. The sound of spell fire from below made them all jump.

“Bill, we need to get out of here!” Ginny called.

Nodding, Bill kept an arm wrapped around Fleur’s waist. As the started across the floor, Fleur suddenly stopped and wrapped her arm around her stomach with a moan.

She wailed suddenly. “My water!”

Bill and Ginny turned towards her in horror. Bill reacted first. He lifted her in his arms and carried her to the bed. “Ginny, barricade the door!”

Nodding, she started casting spells to keep others out. She hoped Harry wouldn’t take long.

Jelena appeared next to the bed with a worried look on her face. “Your baby is coming.”

Fleur nodded, groaning. With a snap of her fingers, the little elf erected a privacy screen while she helped her out of her soiled clothes and into a fresh gown. Bill assessed the spells cast by his sister and nodded approvingly.

“No one can enter the room,” Jelena said firmly. She directed Bill to Fleur’s bedside to hold her hand. Looking at Ginny she said, “I can’t cast spells, but Jelena can teach you.”

Nodding nervously, Ginny learned how to check the baby, how to check if Fleur was ready to push, and how to take care of the baby.
Jelena was able to provide a calming potion used by pregnant witches during labour.




Harry cautiously crept down the corridor with his wand drawn and Molly behind him. Molly headed towards her while Harry went directly for the Lestranges.

Euphemia Rowle started as her pet Augurey began it’s mournful cry. “Now what?! The Dark Lord’s dratted child is dead. How did I let myself be drawn back to this house? I don’t want to care for another baby! I wish I’d never listened to Bellatrix.”

Molly frowned as she listened to the woman. The Dark Lord’s child? Was this why Fleur was kidnaped to replace a baby that had died? Molly shivered at the sound of the Augurey. Logically she knew the bird’s cry only foretold rain, not death as had been believed for so many years, but it was so mournful and sad. Peering into the room, Molly saw a nest of thorn that she assumed held the bird.

The witch was facing away from her and Molly quickly Stunned and bound her. The sound of spell fire sounded from the direction Harry had been heading. She quickly used one of the Portkeys provided by Kingsley to send the woman to a special cell at the Ministry of Magic.




Harry cursed under his breath as he saw the Lestrange brothers were on opposite sides of the room. They wouldn’t be easy to catch off guard. When Rabastian stood and turned his back, Harry took the opportunity to send a Stunning Spell at him. He caught Rabastian, but Rodolphus was on his feet casting spells before his brother even fell.

“Potter!”

Diving into the room, Harry started exchanging spells with the older wizard. A Cutting Curse sliced across his chest, but he hit Rodolphus with a Blasting Spell breaking the wizard’s wand arm. Rodolphus bent over, seemingly in pain, but Harry, remembering Bellatrix, dove out of the way as a knife came flying towards him. Hitting the former Death Eater with another Blasting Curse, Harry caught him on the leg. It slowed the man down enough that Harry was able to Stun him.

“Harry?”

Breathing heavily, Harry turned to see his future mother-in-law with her wand drawn. Taking in his injuries, Molly forced him into a chair while she bound both the Lestranges and sent them to Ministry. She sent a Patronus to Kingsley, which she quickly followed with one to Arthur.

Turning her attention back to Harry, she quickly staunched his bleeding and healed the wound. “Are you okay?”

He nodded. She shook her head. “You will need a Blood Replenishing Potion when we return to the hotel.”




Ginny looked up in relief when her mother hurried into the room. The older witch sized up the situation in a quick glance. She hurried over to Fleur’s side. Ginny gratefully relinquished her place and went to Harry.

“Ginny, why don’t you and Harry look around the study? I want to know why they chose Fleur. That woman said something about the Dark Lord’s baby dying.”

Glad for the excuse to leave the room, the young couple headed downstairs. Bill was thrilled to see his mother. “Can we contact her Healer? Or should we take her back to the hotel?”

Molly shook her head. “She is fully dilated which means she could give birth at any time. It isn’t safe to move her at this point. We will get through this.”




May 2, 1999

Ginny blinked back tears as she looked at her beautiful niece in her mother’s arms. Fleur had given birth at almost the exact moment the wizarding war had ended one year before. They had name her Victoire in honour of the battle fought the year before.

Taking a deep breath, Ginny reached into her pocket and pulled out a velvet bag. She looked over at her mother who nodded. Bill sat down on the bed behind his wife and held both of them in his arms. “Go ahead, Ginny.”

She looked over at Harry who was watching her proudly. Taking the crown out of the bag, she carried it over to the bed and gently placed it on her niece’s head. A golden light shot out of the crown and bathed the baby in its radiance.

Fleur gasped. “That is so beautiful.”

After several minutes, the light retreated back to the crown. Fleur looked around. “It is done?”

With tears in her eyes, Molly nodded. “It is.”

Bill removed the crown from his daughter’s head and kissed her. “It worked.”

Molly hugged first her son and then her daughter. “It did. I am so proud of all of you.”




Hermione looked at Molly in astonishment. “So all of you are descendants of King Edward IV?”

“Not me, obviously, but Arthur and the children are,” Molly confirmed.

“That’s why you were reading about Richard III,” Hermione said to Ginny. “I can’t believe how wrong the accepted history is.” Looking around she said, “We will be able to clear Richard III’s name, won’t we?”

Molly smiled gently. “No, dear. What would we say? That Edward IV was bewitched to marry a Dark witch. Who would believe that? That was actually said at the time and it was dismissed.”

“But history is wrong,” Hermione said in a scandalized voice. “People need to know the truth.”

“Hermione, the wizarding world and Muggle world often have different versions of the same events. This is no different,” Bill said. “I do wish we could clear Richard III’s name. He was trying to help his nephews and he’s accused of killing them.”

“It would make a great novel,” Ginny said.

Ron looked expectantly at Hermione who shook her head. “Don’t look at me. I enjoy writing, but I’m not good at fiction.”

“I’d like to give it a shot,” Ginny said, a bit affronted that Ron had automatically turned to Hermione.

“I can’t wait to read what you write,” Harry said as he wrapped his arms around her. “After all you are related to them, you can exonerate
your great-great-great uncle.”

Ginny kissed him on the cheek. “Thank you, love.”

Ignoring the byplay of the two youngest couples, Percy looked at his father. “What was Kingsley able to share?”

Arthur looked at Harry. “Do you want to tell them?”

Harry shuddered. “It still sickens me, but Voldemort and Bellatrix had a baby.”

“Eww!” Ron and George both yelled.

Harry nodded. “I know. That woman at the manor, Euphemia Rowle, was supposed to watch the baby, but somehow the baby died after her parents did. Kingsley thinks the amount of Dark Magic the baby was exposed to before she was born was what killed her.

“Somehow the Death Eaters knew about the child growing up without love destroying Great Britain. Like Mrs Weasley, they originally thought it might be Voldemort as well. When he was defeated, they thought it must be his daughter.”

“But then she died too,” Percy said. “That is why they wanted Fleur?”

Harry nodded. “They wanted revenge on Mrs Weasley and they thought it would be funny to create a Dark Lord from a Light family.”

“I’m just glad they didn’t succeed,” Mr Weasley said as he looked around. “I am so proud of each and every one of you.”

He stepped forward and took both of Molly’s hands in his. “I am exceptionally proud of my amazing wife. Molly, you fulfilled your family duty and brought honour to both the Prewetts and the Weasleys.”

Molly blushed as all of her children cheered and hugged her. Later she would slip out and share with her brothers how she’d managed to honour Josiah Prewett’s promise to watch out for the progeny of young Richard and Anne. It had been an honour and privilege to be a part of such a history.




A/N: Obviously this deviates a bit from canon. Delphini had to die in this story, but obviously she didn't in canon so no 'Cursed Child' in this future.
Reviews 67
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear