Search:

SIYE Time:13:10 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


May Second
By Pottermum

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:All
Genres: Humor, Poetry, Romance
Warnings: Intimate Sexual Situations, Mental Abuse, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Negative Alcohol Use
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 57
Summary: It was a date he'd never forget. The date he met her.
Hitcount: Story Total: 57559; Chapter Total: 5473







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Hermione rushed in the front door. “I know, I'm late, I'm sorry,” she cried, rushing down the hall.

Ginny sat at the small table, reading Quidditch Monthly. “Relax, everything's done. As long as you picked up the ice cream, we've got plenty of time.”

Hermione smacked her head. “Oh no, I knew I forgot something.”

Ginny sighed. “One job, Hermione, you had one job!” She shook her head good naturedly.

“I've been in the library researching again, and I completely lost track of time,” said Hermione, looking anxious.

“Well I guess I should be lucky you're here at all, then, ” said Ginny, scribbling something on some parchment. She stood and took it to an owl, resting in the lounge.

“Where did that owl come from?” asked Hermione, following her.

“My brother Charlie sent me a letter from Romania. He's the dragon handler,” she explained, then laughed. “I think I need to make you a chart of my brothers. Anyway, I was going to let him rest today, then send him back tomorrow with a reply, but I don't think he'd mind doing a small favour for me. Toothless, wake up,” coaxed Ginny.

The dark coloured owl woke, blinking it's green/yellow eyes. “Would you be able to do a short delievery for me, please?”

“If he's arrived from Romania, he really does need his rest,” said Hermione, hating to see any creatures overworked.

“He arrived this morning and he's been asleep all day,” said Ginny. The owl stood and stretched it's wings, ready for flight. “Good boy,” she praised. “To Luna Lovegood, near Ottery St Catchpole. She may reply, so please wait.”

The owl blinked then took flight, heading for the kitchen window that Hermione managed to pry open just in time.

“Mmm, what smells good?” asked Hermione, only just noticing the tantalising smells coming from the oven.

“A good old fashioned roast, with potatos, pumpkin and peas, all fresh from the Burrow,” said Ginny, pleased with her effort.

Hermione looked around their apartment. “And the place looks nice, you've cleaned, too.” She felt guilty that she hadn't been around to help.

“Slaved away like a house elf,” teased Ginny, then held her hands up in surrender when Hermione snapped around to rebuke Ginny. “Just kidding. Go, get changed, they'll be here soon.”

“Did you pick out a dvd to watch?” called Hermione, as she headed to her bedroom. She noted that she'd need to tidy her room and do her laundry over the weekend.

“Yeah, the Wizard of Oz. Do you think he would be like the Minister for Magic of Australia? Isn't that where your parents went on a holiday? Do they know this Dorothy girl, is she famous there?” asked Ginny, looking at the cover.

“Oh, Ginny,” sighed Hermione, chuckling. “I really need to introduce you to some rom-coms, and away from the children's section.” She dashed to the bathroom to take a quick shower to freshen up.

/*/*/*/*

“Do you think the flowers are too much?” asked Harry, nervously.

“No, I think it was a good idea to give them both a little bouquet. I hope you liked what I picked for them,” said Neville.

Harry nodded. “Daisies and daffodils are a nice touch. I don't want to give Hermione any ideas and if I present them together, it won't seem like a romantic thing to do. Right?” he asked.

Neville shrugged. “I guess.”

“What about the wine? You can't go wrong with red, right?” asked Harry, looking at the bottle.

“Unless it's seafood. Or chicken,” commented Neville.

“Merlin, should we stop and pick up a bottle of white, as well?” asked Harry, concerned.

Neville shook his head. “Look, if we need a white wine, I'll suggest you and Ginny run to the liquor store. I wouldn't mind talking with Hermione, see what she's found out about the house elves,” he said.

“Neville, you're a genius,” said Harry, slapping him on the back. “I don't know why, but I feel really nervous.”

“Well, I can't wait to see the witch that has got Harry Potter all tied up in knots,” teased Neville.

Harry nudged him. “Git. I'm not all tied up in knots, I'm just...yeah, actually, that's a pretty good way to describe it.”

Neville nudged him back. “Hey, wouldn't it be funny if you ended up marrying this Ginny bird.”

Harry rolled his eyes. “Getting a bit ahead of ourselves, aren't we? Let's just see how tonight goes, we can start planning the wedding tomorrow,” he grinned.

“Yeah, once you break things off with Hermione,” reminded Neville.

Harry paled. “Yeah, thanks for reminding me. I've never broken anyone's heart before.”

“Then you'll have to have Ginny meet your mum and Jamie,” continued Neville.

“Stop, stop, we'll just elope, all right?” laughed Harry.

“Well, you know I'll stand up for you, mate, wherever you do it,” said Neville, patting his shoulder.

Harry nodded. “We decided that when we were, what, four, five?” he asked.

Neville nodded. “Five. We had just started school, and you had that silly crush on Susie Bones.”

Harry scoffed. “Hey, we swapped lunches for a week, that's practically married when you're five. I wonder what happened to her.”

“I think she's playing for the Holyhead Harpies,” said Neville. “And dating one of them.”

“Oh,” said Harry, surprised. He smirked. “Guess I ruined her for all the other men. Once you've had the best, well...”

“You were five! Say, maybe I should mention this conversation over dinner tonight,” teased Neville. “Plus all the other fun stuff I know about you.”

“Please, Nev, not on a first date,” pleaded Harry.

“First? I thought it was your third,” said Neville, confused.

“Not Hermione, Ginny,” hissed Harry.

“Right, right. Sorry, so many witches you're juggling, I think I might need a chart to keep up,” grinned Neville.

“Git,” said Harry, nudging him. He looked up. “We're here! How do I look?” He tried to flatten his hair.

“Adorable. I'd snog you,” said Neville, winking.

“Let's call that Plan B,” winked Harry back. He was glad Neville was here tonight. His best friend was one of only a few people he trusted implicity, and the two were as close as brothers.

“Wait, here,” said Neville, pulling Harry back. He handed him a small white sweet.

“What's this?” asked Harry.

“A breath mint. For later, hopefully,” chuckled Neville, and he brushed past Harry and went up the stairs to knock on their door.

/*/*/*/*

The door opened and Hermione's smiling face greeted them. “Hello Harry, Neville. Please, come in,” she said, standing aside to allow them entry.

“Hello. Hi,” they chorused together, and headed down the hall.

“Something smells great,” sniffed Neville.

“We're having a roast for tea,” Hermione informed them.

“And ice cream for dessert,” a soft voice behind them said.

Harry and Neville turned. “Hi, Luna,” greeted Harry.

“Hello Harry. Hermione, here is your ice cream. Hello, man of the Earth,”greeted Luna.

Hermione and Harry frowned, and Neville looked surprised. “Man of the Earth?”

Luna nodded. She shoved the ice cream into Harry's hands, as he was closest to Neville. She picked up Neville's hands. “Your hands work with the Earth.” She held his hands tightly, her own small soft hands wrapped around his strong manly ones.

Neville gulped, as he took in Luna's features. Her clear blue eyes looked trustingly up at him, and Neville had the sensation of his heart leaping into his throat. “P-p-plants. I work in a green house. I'm Neville.”

She moved their hands so they lay flat against each other. “The plants trust your hands. I trust your hands,” she said softly.

“That's not what his last date said,” teased Harry, to lighten the mood.

It had the opposite effect. Hermione frowned at his uncouth comment, which made him flush. Luna tore her eyes away from Neville's safe hands to stare at him, which made him uncomfortable. Neville couldn't tear his eyes away from Luna's face.

“Why is everyone standing in the hall? Oh Lu, you made it with the ice cream, thanks. Harry, hi, can you bring it through to the kitchen?”

Ginny's arrival changed nothing, except for Harry. His stomach rolled over, and his tongue felt too big for his mouth. “Ermerdf,” he mumbled.

Ginny was already heading to the kitchen, but stopped to look back over her shoulder. “Pardon?”

Harry shook his head, and started to follow her. 'Idiot, idiot', he cursed himself.

She took the ice cream from him and put it in the freezer. “Thanks,” she said.

“Oh, these are for you,” he said, thrusting both bouquets of flowers under her nose.

She stepped back. “Both?”

Harry flushed. “Oh, well, one is for Hermione, for, you know, inviting us.”

“That's so sweet, I love daisies,” she said, sniffing them.

“So does my mum,” smiled Harry.

“So what's going on out there?” she asked, pulling out a vase and filling it with water.

“Neville met Luna,” grinned Harry.

“Ahhh,” said Ginny, nodding in understanding. “She does have that effect on people sometimes.”

“Ginny, I–oh, flowers.” Hermione came into the kitchen and saw Ginny arranging them.

“Harry brought us each a bouquet, isn't that sweet?” asked Ginny, smiling at him and making him feel ten feet tall.

“I-oh no? I-I'm allergic. Ah-choo,” sneezed Hermione. “Ah-choo.”

Ginny waved her wand over the flowers. “There, is that better?”

Hermione sneezed once more, then stopped. “Yes, actually, it is. What did you do?”

“Modified shield charm, so you won't get the scent, but you can still see how pretty they are,” said Ginny.

“Hey Hermione, is it–what happened to the flowers?” asked Neville, entering the kitchen with Luna at his side. He sniffed. “There's no scent.”

“Sorry, Neville, I have allergies, and they set me off. Ginny put some kind of shield charm to block out the scent,” apologised Hermione.

“No scent? But that, that's like, I don't know, wanting to see a painting and only being able to see the frame,” protested Neville.

“Oh boy,” sighed Harry.

“Hi Neville, I'm Ginny. Your flowers, and I presume they were from your greenhouse, they're so beautiful and smelled heavenly. If you and Harry don't mind, and to save Hermione's allergies, perhaps Luna could take them home with her when she goes,” she suggested.

Neville looked at Luna. “You're going?” he asked in dismay.

“No, she's going to stay for dinner, aren't you, Luna?” asked Ginny, immediately.

“May I sit next to Neville?” asked Luna.

Ginny and Harry exchanged a small smile. “Of course you can,” said Ginny.

“Then yes, thank you, Ginny, I would love to stay,” said Luna.

Neville sighed in relief, and beamed at Luna.

“Luna, why don't you take Neville to the lounge. Hermione, you and Harry should join them while I dish up tea, it won't be long,” instructed Ginny.

Luna happily took Neville's hand and led him away, with Hermione following, wiping her nose on a tissue. Harry lingered in the kitchen, reluctant to leave.

“Erm, do you need a hand?” he asked.

Ginny smiled. “Sure, would you like to grab some glasses from the cupboard over there, and you can open that lovely bottle of wine you're grasping.”

“Oh, yeah, right. Erm, I hope red's okay. Or we can go grab a bottle of white, you and me, if we need it,” he said.

“Red's good for tonight; roast lamb and veggies,” announced Ginny.

Harry's stomach rumbled in anticipation, which made Ginny laugh, and Harry felt it again. “I like your laugh,” he said, without thinking.

Ginny stopped and flushed.

“Merlin, did I say that out loud? I'm sorry, forget it,” he stammered.

“No, it's fine. It's a lovely thing to say, thank you, Harry,” she relied, almost shyly.

They grinned foolishly at each other, and only stopped when Hermione came into the kitchen. “Ginny, your brother's here,” she announced.

“Which one?” asked Ginny, reluctantly looking away from Harry.

“Fred,” she sighed, “ and he's inisisting he's staying for dinner.”

“It's fine, Hermione, we have plenty,” said Ginny.

“The table only seats four,” complained Hermione.

Ginny rolled her eyes. “Are you a witch or not? Extension charm,” she suggested.

“Oh, right,” she said.

“Hey, Ginners,” greeted Fred. Hermione shot him a frosty look then hurried back to the lounge. “She's mad about me,” he winked at Harry. “Fred Weasley,” he introduced himself.

“Harry Potter,” said Harry, shaking his hand.

Ginny scoffed. “More like mad AT you,” she said.

Fred shrugged. “Same difference. So, this your new boyfriend, Gin?”

Ginny shot him a filthy look. “No, he's Hermione's, actually.”

Fred eyed Harry in a completely different light. Harry shook his head, his eyes darting to Ginny, who was pulling the roast out of the oven. “I see,” muttered Fred, not really seeing at all.

“Are you staying?” asked Ginny.

Fred eyed Harry strangely. “Definitely. Got to look after my girls.”

Ginny scoffed, and handed Harry a glass of wine. “What are you, our pimp?” she asked Fred.

Harry spat out his wine. Giggling, Ginny cast a Scourgify charm on his clothes, and the wall and the floor. “Sorry,” he apologised.

Ginny waved his apology away. “Can you take the wine out to the others? The half glass is for Luna, and she's not to have any more,” said Ginny firmly.

Harry nodded and carried three glasses into the lounge. He handed one to Hermione, and the half full one to Luna. To his surprise, the two witches seemed to be having a disagreement.

“I'm just saying, there's no such thing as Nargles,” argued Hermione.

“Prove it,” said Luna, smiling in thanks at Harry as she took her wine.

“I can't prove it if they don't exist,” said Hermione, exasperated.

Luna smiled sympathetically. “I can see the Ministry has already stifled your intelligence, for that's what they all say. If they can't be seen, they don't exist. Next thing you'll be telling me is that the Crumple-Horned Snorkak doesn't exist,” she said, shaking her head as if the idea was preposterous.

“I've never heard of the Crumpled-Humped Snor-thing, and I don't appreciate your comments about my intelligence,” said Hermione, tersely.

Harry and Neville exchanged uncomfortable looks. Hermione looked upset, but Luna looked completely at ease.

“Dinner's ready,” announced Ginny.

Neville stood and offered his arm to Luna. Harry hurried after Ginny, leaving Hermione to follow them all. Fred was already seated, and he patted the seat next to him. “Come on, Granger, no Nargles over here,” he teased.

“Hmph!” said Hermione, sliding in the seat next to him. Neville seated Luna who smiled adoringly up at him, and they continued their private conversation as Ginny passed out the plates for the meal.

Harry tried to gain Ginny's attention throughout the meal, but her attention was on Neville and Luna.

“He's a good guy,” Harry whispered to her at one point, drawing her gaze to him. He was drawn to her deep brown eyes that reminded him of melted chocolate.

“I'm sure he is, I've just never seen Luna like this before,” she said.

“You're a good friend to worry about her like this,” he said.

Her eyes swung back to his. “Luna's important to me,” she said simply.

“Lucky Luna,” he said softly, then flushed as she looked speculatively at him. “Erm, how's Auror training going? I guess you're doing the physical assessments right now?”

Ginny nodded. “I haven't had any problems so far. I really can't wait to start properly.”

“The first year's pretty full on, there's so much to learn. Second year, it all starts to make sense, and then third year is about putting all you've learned into practice,” he said.

Ginny nodded. “I can't wait to try the Muggle firearms, and get my drivers licence, that will be so great,” she said, enthusiastically.

Harry laughed. “I know what you mean. I even went one step further and got my motorcycle licence. My godfather has a bike, and he lets me use it anytime,” he said.

“That sounds fun,” said Ginny.

“I could take you for a ride sometime...if you want?” offered Harry.

Ginny nodded keenly. “I'd love it.”

“Love what?” asked Hermione, buttering some bread.

“Harry's offered to take me for a ride on his godfather's motorbike,” said Ginny.

“Why on earth would you want to ride a motorcycle?” asked Hermione, distatefully. “They're unsafe and associated with gangs.”

“Can I join your gang, Harry,” teased Ginny. She turned back to Hermione. “Lighten up. Part of my Auror training is going for my driver's licence, and you didn't have a problem with that,” she argued.

“I think it's the Wrackspurts around Hermione's head,” said Luna, in her dreamy voice, before Hermione could respond to Ginny's words. Luna began to pluck the unseen creatures out of the air over Hermione's head. It only seemed to anger Hermione more.

“Stop it, there's no such thing as a Wrackspurt,” she hissed to Luna.

“Hermione, how did your research into house elves go?” said Neville, trying to change the topic.

“Very interesting, thank you Neville,” said Hermione. She talked for a bit about the research she'd uncovered, and how she hoped it would help her cause for the house elves.

Ginny finally relaxed, now that things had settled, the meal was going fine. Harry took the opportunity to speak with her again. “The meal is delicious and the vegetables taste so fresh,” he said.

Ginny smiled. “They are, fresh out of the ground from the Burrow today. I dug them up with my own two hands,” she said.

Harry looked confused. “What's the Burrow?” he asked.

“That's my family home. It's near Devon, and we -” she gestured to Fred and herself - “grew up there,” she said.

“So Fred is your only brother?” he asked.

“Ha, she wishes, mate,” chuckled Fred.

Ginny laughed. “I have six brothers, Harry, and Fred here, is a twin.” Fred winked at Harry.

“Wow,” said Harry, in awe. “What's it like, having all those brothers?”

“Great when I was little. I had them all wrapped around my little finger. Unfortunately, they've all gone loopy as I've gotten older, and have become annoyingly overprotective,” she said, shooting a loving glare at Fred.

“Just looking out for our baby sister. She's bloody gorgeous, we don't want any tossers around her,” he said, his gaze shifting from Neville to Harry speculatively.

“I have a sister, too, so I know what you mean,” nodded Harry.

Hermione was feeling quite lost in all the conversations. Neville and Luna were now discussing the Bowtruckle, and she herself was an only child. However, she remembered something from Harry's family history she'd read.

“Oh yes, your sister was born after that terrible Halloween night, wasn't she?” asked Hermione, without thinking.

You could have heard a pin drop. Neville snapped his head around to look incredulously at Hermione, while Ginny's mouth hung open in surprise at Hermione's gaffe.

“Yes. My mum was pregnant with my sister the night my father was murdered,” admitted Harry quietly. He picked up his knife and fork and continued eating.

“Oh--Harry, I-I'm sorry,” stammered Hermione, flushing. Neville was looking at her in anger, until Luna patted his hand and turned to Harry.

“Your mum must be a very strong woman,” she said to Harry, “to raise you and your sister alone. It's not easy being a single parent.” She thought lovingly of her own father.

“She's the best,” said Harry quietly. “We had help when we were growing up. My godfather and my sister's godfather are very close with my mum and us.”

“It doesn't have to be about blood, to be family,” agreed Ginny, placing her hand over his and sqeezing in comfort.

Fred made a joke about somebody called Percy, but Harry wasn't really listening. He looked into Ginny's eyes and saw, not pity, just simple sympathy. He nodded, and was glad when she changed the conversation. As Fred continued the new conversation, Ginny shot him a look, and he knew she had done it for him.

He didn't really like talking about his family, or that night. It was, however, a part of the wizarding history, but he usually liked to be prepared, and this time he was blindsided. It wasn't even as if he actually remembered anything of the night, or sadly, of his father. He only knew what he had been told by his mother and Sirius, or what he'd read.

Despite all the conversations going on around him, everyone was aware that Harry didn't contribute too much. He kept his head over his dinner plate, eating slowly. Ginny was good at diverting conversations away from him, and starting new ones.

All too soon, the meal was over. Ginny ushered Luna, Neville and Fred back to the lounge, promising to bring them ice cream soon. She and Hermione started clearing the table. Harry felt superflous, wanting to stay with Ginny but not in the mood for Hermione, who of course, wanted to apologise over and over.

“Harry, I don't really know what to say. I am so, so sorry,” she said, beseechingly.

“Hermione, why don't you ask Neville and Luna if they want more wine, or tea or coffee,” suggested Ginny.

With a last longing look at Harry, hoping for forgiveness, she nodded and walked out.

Ginny took the ice cream out of the freezer and five bowls out from the cupboard. She handed Harry the scoop. “Mind dishing up?” she asked gently. He nodded, gratedful for something to do.

Ginny shuffled around, setting the dishes to clean with a simple spell. “She really doesn't mean to be insensitive, she simply has a curious mind. Sometimes, being a Muggleborn, she feels she needs to know everything important about our world, our history.” She spoke gently.

“I know...I get it. But Ginny, this is my life, my family, not just a part of history,” he said painfully.

“I know, Harry,” she said, “ and I'm sure she is really sorry.”

Hermione returned, and seemed to sense they had been discussing her faux pas. “Erm, Luna wants ice cream and wine, while Neville just wants ice cream. Fred wants ice cream with sprinkles and whipped cream,” she said, rolling her eyes.

“Here,” said Ginny, thrusting two bowls of ice cream into her hands. “Luna and Neville. Oh, and tell Luna no more wine. Remind her what happened last time she had more than half a glass of wine.”

Hermione shot Harry another apologetic look and left. Ginny went to the cupboard and got out the coloured sprinkles. In the back of the refrigerator she found whipped cream, and shook the can, before spraying it over the other bowl of icecream.

Harry chuckled. “You know your brother that well,” he said, gesturing to the icecream.

Ginny laughed, a sound he was coming to love. “Actually, it's a Weasley thing,” she said. She looked at him. “Wanna share one?”

Harry nodded, and watched as she returned to the cupboard. With a delighted “Aha!” she then added chocolate sprinkles to the whipped cream adorning the bowl of ice cream he'd prepared. He raised his eyebrows at them, and she seemed to know what he meant.

“Fred didn't specify what sprinkles,” she grinned, “so he got the coloured ones. We get the good ones. ” Cheekily she handed him a spoon. “Dig in,” she encouraged.

Together they sat there, slowly eating the ice cream, and talking softly. They learnt more about the other, some things important, some things, not so much. But it was fun, and quiet, and he got to learn more about Ginny. It was just what he needed.

He was just laughing at a story Ginny told him about her twin brothers pranking their youngest brother, when Neville appeared in the doorway.

“Harry, it's getting late. Time to go,” he said, glad to see his best friend looking happier.

Harry stood, and Ginny did too. “It was so great to meet you, Neville, and I hope you enjoyed the night,” she said.

Neville nodded, until Hermione came to stand beside Ginny. “Most of it, yes,” he said, shooting her an angry look.

“Nev,” sighed Harry.

Hemione jutted her chin proudly. “Harry, Neville, I'm sorry if I offended you with my insensitivity. It was terribly rude to talk about your family like that, Harry.” She had tears in her eyes.

“Thank you, Hermione, apology accepted. Nev, you're right, it's time to go,” agreed Harry.

“This was fun, can we do it again some time,” said Luna. “I mean, all of us.”

“Count me in,” grinned Fred. “Granger?” He nudged her and she nodded unhappily.

“I'd like that,” agreed Ginny, looking at Harry.

“Me too,” said Harry, looking back at Ginny.

Reluctantly he followed Neville down the hall, and shuffled awkwardly while Luna and Neville exchanged whispers, making plans to meet again. Luna then hugged Neville tightly and kissed his cheek.

Harry chanced a look back at Ginny. She smiled sadly at him. It felt so much more than an ending to a simple evening meal. “Goodbye,” she called softly.

“Bye,” he said, and followed Neville outside, closing the door behind him.

Neville was beside himself as they walked to the closest Apparition point. “Oh wow, what a night. Pretty great, right.”

At Harry's silence, he remembered what had happened. “Oh yeah, maybe not all great. Ginny seemed nice, though.”

“She...understood me,” said Harry. “It was nice.”

“You're well out of it with Hermione, mate,” nodded Neville.

“Not really. If I want to see Ginny, and believe me, I do, then I'm going to have to talk with Hermione again. Clear the air,” explained Harry.

“Imagine growing up with six siblings,” chuckled Neville, shaking his head.

“I know, Jamie is bad enough,” agreed Harry.

“Hey, there's nothing wrong with Jamie,” protested Neville. “She's a great girl. Still, six brothers! Sucks to be you,” he laughed.

As they were nearly at the Apparition point, Harry decided to let that one slide. Six brothers? Ginny had mentioned they were overprotective of her. Between that, and the issue with Hermione, was it worth persuing something with Ginny?

Harry had a feeling it was.







Reviews 57
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear