Search:

SIYE Time:22:05 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Picking Up The Pieces
By Dopeydo

- Text Size +

Category: The Carpe Diem Challenge (2017-1), The Carpe Diem Challenge (2017-1)
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: Angst, Humor, Romance
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 20
Summary: It's not easy being possessed.
Hitcount: Story Total: 9530; Chapter Total: 1469





Author's Notes:
It is very late. Probably should have done this a couple weeks ago and gotten it beta read, but I had a dissertation to do. I hope there's not too many errors! And I hope you've enjoyed this little piece. The original idea was to span the whole of third year, but I think I managed to wrap this up neatly enough. I'm rambling. Damn, it's late. Sorry.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Wood was really quite pleased to find out that Harry had started training from the start of term. He was less happy to find out that Harry was gaining weight. Harry didn’t care too much. He wanted to thoroughly flatten Malfoy, and wouldn’t say no to an extra kilogram or two of muscle for doing it. And importantly, Ginny had been putting on weight too, and looked every bit as healthy as she had on first coming to Hogwarts. More so, in fact, as Harry kept noticing.


 

Regardless, the first Quidditch match of the season loomed large before them, and Wood was driving himself up the wall.


 

“You know, Harry,” said Ginny over breakfast before the game. “If you don’t catch that snitch, you might have to carry Wood back to the castle.”


 

“If I don’t catch that snitch, someone will have to carry me,” said Harry.


 

“Don’t worry, Harry,” said Ginny, putting her hand over his and turning him scarlet. “It’s only Malfoy.”


 

“Yeah,” he said, ignoring her smirk. “Yeah, it’ll be great.”


 

“Oh, Harry,” said Ron. “Nearly forgot.”


 

Under the table, he passed Harry a chocolate frog.


 

“Just in case,” Ron said seriously.


 

“I…” Harry stared at the frog, and pocketed it. “Cheers, mate.”


 

“We’ve got your back,” said Ron, grinning. “Hermione’s got a special something lined up if anyone tries to cause trouble.”


 

“We can’t have you blowing the pitch open, can we?” said Hermione idly.


 

“One time,” Harry sighed.


 

Hermione sniggered. “Impervius. Now your glasses won’t get all wet in the rain.”


 

“Hermione, have I ever told you that you’re a genius?”


 

“Not enough,” she said, grinning at Ron.


 

So it was in good spirits that Harry headed down to the Quidditch pitch, under grey skies and driving rain. Malfoy didn’t look nearly so happy. Wood looked like he was fighting multiple hernias.


 

Harry could barely hear Lee Jordan through the bass rumble of the thunderstorm, but Madam Hooch’s shrill whistle penetrated the dense air and set the match into motion. Harry’s good mood was slowly dampened by the cold as it worked to turn him into a flying icicle, but the odd covert nibble of chocolate kept him lively.


 

In fact, the rain was really serving to his advantage, because Malfoy was looking more and more like a drowned rat, and Gryffindor was pulling further and further into the lead.


 

“Come on, come on…” Harry muttered, fidgeting to keep his fingers mobile. “Where are you hiding?”


 

Lightning cracked behind him, and he turned to see a giant black dog silhouetted against the suddenly brilliant sky.


 

“Not today,” said Harry, rising higher and scanning intensely.


 

“Behind you!” Wood yelled.


 

Harry spun the broom like a top, arm outstretched, and found the snitch not ten metres away. Cursing, he drove the Nimbus on. Malfoy was a furlong to the other side, he’d never make it. Harry’s hand was just closing around the cold metal when a chill spread through him from somewhere else entirely. His whole chest went cold, and Harry dove, the snitch clutched tightly against his broom handle. The screaming he could hear was all too familiar. His left hand crammed the rest of the chocolate into his mouth as he pulled up and threw himself off the broomstick. Sure enough, the sky was darkened with dementors.


 

Even as Harry watched, however, two phoenixes, one of aether and one of flame, soared upwards amidst them, and the most beautiful song Harry had heard filled his mind.


 

“Fawkes,” Harry grinned.


 

And suddenly the sky was alight with white mist. A cat, a male and female deer and a wolf tore through what the fire birds left behind, and soon the dark creatures had scattered to the winds.


 

“Harry!” cried a horde, in various tones of triumph and worry. Hermione and Ginny were first, Hermione grabbing his glasses, and Ginny his hand.


 

Harry stood, blind and confused, while Ginny opened his fingers. “Err... Guys?”


 

“The spell worked, excellent!” said Hermione.


 

“Oh, thank goodness you caught it,” said Ginny.


 

“Ginny, what?” said Harry, putting his glasses back on.


 

“Well I wasn’t going to carry you back to the castle,” Ginny smirked.


 

Resigned, Harry looked to Ron, who was standing further back and offering a tentative thumbs-up.


 

Harry returned it with vigour, raising the snitch to roars of victory.


 

 

“How are you doing?” said Harry.


 

Ginny looked at him like he’d grown a second head. “You just turned Slytherin into a smear under an army of dementors and you want to talk about…?”


 

The Gryffindor common room was alive with celebration, Wood having crowd surfed twice already, and Fred and Angelina were being cheered on for their affections in the midst of it. But Harry, humble as he was, had seen more than one such celebration before. If he had his way, he’d see a lot more yet. It would not distract him.


 

“We’re in this together, aren’t we?” said Harry.


 

Ginny shook her head, turning rather red. “I… I’m fine. He’s still quiet.”


 

Harry frowned. “What’s he saying now?”


 

Ginny glanced over his shoulder, but said nothing.


 

“Okay, I can guess,” Harry smiled, “but we’ll probably be here until morning.”


 

“I just made a very lucrative deal,” said Hermione, sitting on the arm of Harry’s chair. She pushed a mug of something sweet-smelling into Harry’s left hand, and a glass of something sharper into his right.


 

“What,” said Harry, looking up at her with mild apprehension.


 

“Butterbeer and… firewhiskey,” said Hermione, the disapproval clear in her tone. “I don’t know how the twins smuggle these things in. Regardless, drink from each and I want a detailed comparison of the experience.”


 

“Wait,” said Harry. “No, wait a minute, what are you getting out of this?”


 

“An answer to a scientific curiosity,” said Hermione primly.


 

Harry looked her dead in the eye.


 

“And George will give me a secret passage between here and the library,” Hermione admitted. “Drink up, Harry.”


 

Harry shook his head at her. “I’ve half a mind to pour this on you.”


 

Hermione crossed her arms over her chest defensively. “Harry! Do it for science!”


 

“That’s what I’ll tell McGonagall,” said Harry. “I did it for science. To see how much Hogwarts robes can take.”


 

Hermione laughed and jumped off the chair. “Please, Harry!”


 

Harry sighed, shook his head, and took a sip of the butterbeer. As Ron had promised, it was delicious. He told Hermione as much, and she gestured encouragingly.


 

Harry gave Ginny a wry look. “Bottoms up, right?”


 

“Not the whole thing, Harry, I’m not picking you up off the floor,” said Hermione.


 

Harry rolled his eyes and took a sip. And was then amazed that he managed to not cough it right back out. “What in the world?”


 

“Hmm,” said Hermione, taking notes. “How would you characterise the flavour?”


 

Harry gave Ginny a helpless grin, but she was studying her shoes. “Here, Ginny, why don’t you try it and tell her?”


 

Ginny looked up at the glass apprehensively, but then a crafty kind of smile came about her face. “Oh, Mum would throw a fit if she found out.”


 

Hermione looked like she might be a bit upset as well, but Harry just gestured with his eyebrow back towards George. “She doesn’t have to though, does she?”


 

“Oh, Harry,” Ginny said. “What’s this? What kind of girl do you think I am?”


 

Harry spluttered, feeling himself turning very red.


 

She took the glass from his hand and winked at him. “Damn, why do people drink this?”


 

“There’s your answer, Hermione,” said Harry.


 

Hermione huffed. “Come on, Harry. One sentence on the taste and I’ll leave it be.”


 

“There’s a burning sensation from my throat down to my guts,” said Harry. “Makes me feel, good, I guess. Tastes… powerful. I don’t know what to compare it to, but there’s some cinnamon I think.”


 

“Excellent,” said Hermione, beaming and reaching for the drinks. “As you were.”


 

“Oh no, we’re keeping these,” said Harry. “Didn’t get to go to Hogsmeade, did I?”


 

Hermione narrowed her eyes slightly. “That’s firewhiskey and Ginny is 12.”


 

“You started it,” Harry pointed out. “My, my, what would McGonagall think?”


 

Hermione gaped. “You wouldn’t.”


 

Harry just smirked. “See you later, Hermione.”


 

Ginny looked at the firewhiskey with even greater apprehension. “I think I’ll take the butterbeer.”


 

“Take?” said Harry. “Besides, that’s what I’m planning on drinking.”


 

“So be a gentleman and get another,” said Ginny, grinning at him.


 

“Oh no you don’t,” said Harry. “They’re mine, you can have what I offer you.”


 

Ginny pouted. “Rock paper scissors?”


 

Harry’s eyebrows rose. “You know rock paper scissors?”


 

Ginny shrugged. Harry put the drinks aside, and was on three when Ginny grabbed the mug. Quick as a flash, Harry was out of his seat and had his arms around her.


 

“Now that’s just not polite, Ginny,” he said.


 

“Just one sip,” she said, looking rather red in the face.


 

She took it slowly, and her eyes closed as she enjoyed it. Harry found that his own face was growing rather hot too. He had yet to let go of her.


 

“There,” Ginny said quietly. “All yours.”


 

Harry took a deep breath, taking in the floral smell of her hair mixed with the sweet butterbeer. “Yeah.”


 

He took a longer swig of the butterbeer, but even though he now only had one arm around Ginny, she didn’t seem to be going anywhere in a hurry.


 

“Oi, Potter!” said Ron. “Are you making moves on my sister?”


 

 

“Hoo, okay,” said Ginny.


 

“What are you worried about?” said Harry, picking himself off the floor, where Ginny’s Concussion Hex had put him.


 

“Well, I’m not as worried about going to this Patronus class looking like I slept in a bin,” she grinned. Harry got her with a quick Tickling Jinx, and she smacked his shoulder. “Just… I don’t know, a spell that isn’t even taught at Hogwarts…”


 

“Yeah, they don’t teach us how to fight basilisks or Dark Lords either,” said Harry. “We’ll be fine.”


 

Ginny smirked. “One Quidditch win and he’s master of the universe.”


 

“One?” Harry said, shocked. “I’ll have you know that I am building a decorated career, Ginny.”


 

She rolled her eyes at him. “Come here, you’ve got rubbish in your hair.”


 

“That’s my hair, Ginny,” said Harry.


 

“Such an idiot,” she grinned. “Did you plan on seeing Professor Lupin looking like you’ve just been rolling in hay?”


 

“Well…”


 

Ginny put a finger on his lips, smirking. “Think very carefully on your next words. I have six brothers.”


 

“I hadn’t noticed,” said Harry.


 

“And I am very good with hexes,” said Ginny.


 

Harry looked back at where he’d been laid out on the floor. “I had no idea.”


 

Ginny giggled, returning her attention to his hair.


 

The walk to Professor Lupin’s classroom was a brief one, and Harry almost considered a detour, but then they were knocking on the door. Lupin was levitating a very large, heavy looking case.


 

“What have you two been doing?” he said.


 

Harry and Ginny immediately looked at each other. They were a little sweaty, but there was nothing strange that Harry could see.


 

“Duelling,” they said together.


 

“Ah yes,” said Lupin. “Taking it seriously. That’s good.”


 

Harry and Ginny shared a look, suddenly quite sure that they’d been had.


 

“What’s in the case, sir?” said Ginny.


 

“A boggart,” Lupin said. “Took a while to find another one, but this one was hiding in Filch’s filing cabinet. It ought to turn into a dementor when it sees Harry, so it’s the best thing we’ve got. I’ll store him in the office when we’re not using him — there’s a cupboard under the desk he’ll like.”


 

Ginny seemed rather apprehensive about practising in situ, and Harry would’ve reassured her if he was particularly pleased himself. Instead, he managed an ambivalent, “Okay.”


 

“The spell I’m going to teach you is —”


 

“The Patronus Charm,” said Ginny. “We… did a bit of reading.”


 

“Did you?” said Lupin, sounding quite pleased. “And what else did you find?”


 

“That most people never manage a full Patronus,” said Harry.


 

“True enough,” said Lupin. “That’s the first thing to note, really. Don’t set your expectations too high here. Even if it took you all year to work this spell, you’d be doing well.”


 

Harry and Ginny shared a look.


 

“A sickle,” said Ginny.


 

“You’re on.”


 

They carried on discussing the theory of the spell all the way to the History of Magic classroom, where Professor Lupin set the case up on the table.


 

A happy memory…


 

Harry thought back over the last two years, as the only happy memory he could think of with the Dursleys was Hagrid telling him that he could leave. He was happiest when he was here, with his friends…


 

“Thought of a memory?” said Lupin. “It will only work if you are concentrating with all your mind on one, powerfully happy memory.”


 

A single memory.


 

“Now, expecto patronum,” said Lupin slowly.


 

“Expecto Patronum!” Harry and Ginny both cast. Silvery mist shot from their wands in little cascades. But it was nothing compared to the vast silver animals that had been conjured on the Quidditch pitch.


 

“Good, good,” Lupin smiled. “Not bad at all. Now hold on to those memories.”


 

Harry’s eyes widened as Lupin began unlocking the case.


 

“Step forward, Harry,” said Lupin idly. “It’s the dementor we want.”


 

And it was the dementor they got. Harry quailed as he heard his mother crying for mercy. Mercy for him. “Expecto Patronum!”


 

Nothing happened.


 

“Expecto Patronum!”


 

The voices were getting louder now, and a high, cackling laugh echoed in his head.


 

“Expecto…”


  < p align="justify">Harry woke up with a gasp, to see a piece of chocolate being forced in his face.


 

“Thanks,” he said, taking the chocolate, before snapping his head around to look at Ginny. “Did… did he…”


 

Ginny shook her head. “Professor Lupin got it back in the box before it could.”


 

Harry breathed a sigh of relief.


 

“I knew it would probably happen today,” she said softly.


 

Harry nodded. “I was just hoping not to be passed out on the floor when it did.”


 

Ginny smiled wanly. “You’ll still be here.”


 

Harry scratched at the back of his neck. “Ahh…”


 

“Well I guess you’d better sort out that spell then,” Ginny said, poking him in the chest.


 

Harry snorted lightly, resting his hand on her waist before remembering that Professor Lupin was there. The man was working intently on the case, however.


 

“I’d like to try again, sir,” said Harry.


 

“If you’re certain,” said Lupin. “Remember, the memory has to be powerful. Would you mind my asking what you used that time?”


 

Harry sighed. “I was thinking of Hagrid coming back from Azkaban.”


 

Lupin winced. “A powerful memory, yes. But perhaps too much pain in it.”


 

“Yeah,” said Harry. “I’ve thought of another one, though.”


 

“Well, let’s give it a go,” Lupin smiled.


 

“For a sickle, Harry,” Ginny grinned.


 

Harry smiled back. He had a good feeling about this one.


 

“Not Harry, please!”


 

‘Sorry Mum,’ Harry thought. Through the terrible sense of despair and cold, he looked up at the dark, hooded maw. He stared up as the candles went out and the hairs on the backs of his arms stood on end. “Expecto Patronum.”


 

His hand recoiled as though he’d fired a cannon. Silvery mist burst forth in a blast of energy and brilliant radiance, and the dementor-boggart drew back, testing the mist tentatively.


 

Harry closed his eyes, remembering every detail. The colour of the sky, the kiss of the breeze… And the utter absence of any worry or ill feeling. As pure a happiness as he could have dreamed of. And as he looked back up, he saw the dementor cowering behind a great spectral form.


 

“Back you get,” Harry commanded, driving the creature forward out of its ethereal amnion. Antlers emerged, mist pouring off them in waves as a proud head followed. A stag. Lupin gasped.


 

The dementor was driven back, down into the case, which Harry shut with a deft Levitation Charm.


 

“Well,” said Harry. “Five points for Gryffindor?”


 

Lupin choked on a laugh, looking utterly shaken. “I… at the game, I…”


 

Harry frowned. “Sir?”


 

“Nothing, Harry, I…” Lupin stammered. “It’s nothing. Don’t mind me. Well done, that was… incredible, actually. Wouldn’t have believed it, had I not… seen it.”


 

Harry and Ginny shared a look. They were most definitely missing something. Harry thought back to the Quidditch match.


 

“There was a stag Patronus at the game,” said Harry. “Is it… someone you know?”


 

Lupin laughed drily. “Perhaps. No, now is not the time. It means nothing, Harry, put it from your mind. But truly, I would make mention of this to Professor Dumbledore if I was really supposed to be doing these classes.”


 

Harry wasn’t so sure that he would forget, but he acquiesced.


 

“Shouldn’t you have that sword ready?” said Ginny tightly.


 

“You’ll be fine, Ginny,” said Harry. “You just tell him exactly where he can put his snake, and I’ll be here. Okay?”


 

Ginny nodded, jaw clenched. There was sweat beading on her forehead.


 

“Hey,” said Harry, putting a hand on her back. “You are stronger than him. That bastard’s been rotting for a decade. I’ve seen what he looks like now, and these biceps?”


 

Harry squeezed her arm, and she smiled in spite of herself.


 

“You’ll crush him, Ginny,” said Harry. “I swear.”


 

“I’m ready,” she said.


 

Lupin popped the case, and a young Tom Riddle burst out. He was smiling.


 

“Ah yes, Ginny Weasley,” said Tom. “I’d almost forgotten… what you looked like.”


 

Ginny shuddered. “Expecto-”


 

“Tell me something,” said Tom. “Why haven’t you told him, Ginny? How much you enjoyed our little talks?”


 

“Expecto Patronum!” said Ginny.


 

“How will you ever get what you want?” said Tom. “If you can’t accept what you are?”


 

Ginny closed her eyes. The words were on Harry’s lips.


 

“It wasn’t me, putting those thoughts in your head,” said Tom. “That’s not how this works, you see, oh no. You’ve known all along what you’re so afraid of. Why you don’t think you’re good enough for the great Harry Potter.”


 

Ginny opened her eyes, and there was a stillness in her that stayed Harry’s hand.


 

“And that’s why I never die, Ginny Weasley,” said Tom. “Because I already lived in there. You just had to turn the page.”


 

“EXPECTO PATRONUM!”


 

The animal that poured from Ginny’s wand was sleek where Harry’s was fierce. A long, silver mane rippled in the non-existent wind, leading to a powerfully muscled body. Ginny smiled idly as her avatar faced down her nightmare.


 

“We’ve all got our demons, Tom,” said Ginny.


 

“And silly little girls grow up,” said Tom. “Just remember not to turn out the light.”


 

Ginny flicked her wand, and he was back in the trunk.


 

She took a deep breath, let it out, and smiled shakily at Harry before being immediately lifted off her feet.


 

 

“What has he been saying?” said Harry. “What’s been bothering you?”


 

They were sat at the top of the Astronomy Tower. It was very out of bounds, and they gave very few monkeys. Professor Lupin had let them go almost immediately, sensing their need to process what had happened. Harry couldn’t help feeling quite grateful on Ginny’s behalf. There had been more than enough to digest.


 

“It doesn’t matter,” said Ginny. She must have noticed the look on his face, because she went on. “No, really. It’s… If I let it bother me, then he’s right. He wins.”


 

“That is the kind of thing Hermione might chew my ear off for,” said Harry. “So I don’t know if I even have the right to say so, but that’s probably not the best way to do it.”


 

Ginny shook her head. “I don’t even know which way is up anymore.”


 

“If we jumped, we’d know which way was down,” said Harry, smiling wanly. “Kind of simple from there, really.”


 

“Until we hit the ground,” said Ginny. “What’s left of us.”


 

“We’ll cast Levitation Charms on our bags,” said Harry.


 

Ginny laughed. “Not that rubbish again.”


 

“It was a very good idea!” Harry insisted.


 

“Maybe if you had it before you jumped down the Grand Staircase,” said Ginny, smirking.


 

Harry pouted.


 

“Oh don’t give me that,” Ginny laughed, shoving him in the shoulder.


 

Harry mimed falling, and Ginny panicked, grabbing him even though they weren’t sitting at the edge.


 

“You absolute arse!” she said, hitting him quite hard, he thought.


 

“Hey, hey,” said Harry, putting his arm around her and holding her close.


 

It was, Harry considered, the most comfortable thing in the world. Which, if he had told his eleven year old self so, would have made that boy scoff until furballs came out. Perhaps he could have done without the burning arm. It was something to work on.


 

“He was taunting me about…” Ginny sighed. “Harry, have you ever thought about Hermione?”


 

Harry scratched his head. “Yeah, I guess. I mean I got pretty anxious about her when I thought a troll killed her, and…”


 

“Don’t be dense,” said Ginny. “I mean, you know. That way.”


 

“That…?” Harry said blankly. Then he scanned a mental image of Hermione, and gulped. “Oh. No. Ginny, no! She’s like a sister. Like the sister I never had.”


 

“You don’t consider any of the jokes to be flirty?” said Ginny.


 

Harry paled. “Oh Jesus, Ginny! You’re kidding, right?”


 

Ginny smiled slightly. “Well, there’s that, at least. But that’s what he meant. He didn’t need to say or do anything, because I was already torturing myself over that kind of stuff.”


 

“And like I said, Voldemort doesn’t know the first thing about me,” said Harry. “Just, maybe ease off on the poetry from now on.”


 

“Oi, a lot of work went into that!” said Ginny.


 

“You have a lot of great talents, Ginny,” said Harry placatingly.


 

“Mind out of the gutter,” she said quickly.


 

“Oh, you are…” Harry said, trying to find a good word.


 

“Shall I come back tomorrow?” said Ginny, her mouth working unsuccessfully to hide the smirk.


 

Harry tucked a lock of fiery hair behind her ear, and Ginny shivered. “Yeah, it might help. Besides, you owe me a sickle.”


 

“Merlin,” said Ginny. “Shouldn’t have let you go twice.”


 

“We’ll have to call it even, I suppose,” said Harry. “Wouldn’t be fair, otherwise.”


 

“Oh, no, I don’t back out,” said Ginny, poking him firmly and repeatedly.


 

“And that,” said Harry, taking her hand in his. “Is why you’ll win.”


 

“You really believe it,” said Ginny.


 

“If I can muddle my way through,” Harry grinned, pulling her close again. “Yeah, I believe it.”


 

They sat there for a while, watching the clouds roll over the far hills, and the glittering of the Black Lake. It was really a shame that the place was restricted. Such a shame for the people who lacked invisibility cloaks.


 

“So what memory did you end up using?” said Ginny.


 

Harry smiled slightly at the way her voice felt on his chest. “I thought of flying on my Nimbus. That day I found out Lupin knew my parents. With you.”


 

Ginny pulled away, looking up at him as though worried that he might have been playing some horrible joke.


 

“What about you?” said Harry.


 

Ginny pulled back slightly, her brilliant hair whipping to the side in a gust of wind. Her eyes looked unusually bright.


 

“The train,” she said. “When you stopped me from leaving.”

Reviews 20
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear