Search:

SIYE Time:22:11 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


A desire for power
By Baumi

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 53
Summary: Harry potter has a twin. Daniel Potter is the boy-who-lived, he survived the killing curse due to his mother's blood protection. Harry got a fragment of Voldemort's soul. How will history change and how far is Harry willing to go in his desire for power? Tags: Dark!Harry Dark!Ginny Soulbond H/G
Hitcount: Story Total: 35688; Chapter Total: 2342





Author's Notes:
If anybody is interested in becoming a beta reader for this story, please let me know.
In case you are writing a story yourself I would gladly help out with betaing your work.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


A new family

 

Harry sat in the great hall staring at the doors, waiting impatiently for the first years to arrive. Despite telling Ginny it would not matter what house she got in, he desperately hoped she would become a Slytherin. He felt selfish for thinking so, knowing it would drive a wedge between her and her family. But still, he couldn’t lie to himself, he wanted to spent as much time as possible with Ginny and while he knew she wouldn’t abandon him if sorted into another house, mainly Gryffindor, she would not be able to spent as much time with him as they wished.

 

In addition, if she was a Gryffindor both her and his house would be quite revolted about their friendship.

The opening of the doors broke him out of his dire thoughts and the first years lined up behind the sorting hat. Ginny’s eyes sought out Harrys and both grinned as their glances met.

“Where ever she will be sorted, I will be her best friend! Nobody can take that from us,” Harry swore to himself.

 

Before the sorting commenced a gleefully smiling Professor Snape walked in with Daniel and Ron in tow. On McGonagalls asking he said: “Using the Hogwarts Express seems to be beneath a celebrity like Potter. 50 points from Gryffindor for flying here with a charmed muggle car and damaging the Whomping Willow.”

The two received many glared from their house mates but much laughter from the remaining tables. Especially Slytherin was glad, after all those two had won the house cup last year with underhanded methods.

 

Professor McGonagall regained her composure and started calling out the various children, Harry gave a polite applause for each of them.

Finally, the Professor shouted: “Weasley, Ginevra!”

From the Gryffindor table loud cheer where heard and Percy saying with pride: “That`s my sister!”

Just before the hat was placed on her head Harry gave her an affirmative nod and a smile, which Ginny returned.

 

The following seconds seemed endless, after a minute the hat had still not given a decision. Just as the murmurs in the hall grew louder the hat shouted out: “SLYTHERIN!”

Many in the hall were shocked, like with the Potters, no Weasley had ever been sorted into Slytherin. They had never been sorted into anything but Gryffindor in fact.

Harry jumped immediately up from his seat and clapped as loud as he could.

Ginny grinned at him and started a sprint that ended with her jumping into his arms.

Both laughed and cheered loudly, while ignoring the glares her brothers send Harry.

 

Their happiness was interrupted as the Weasley clan plus Daniel stalked over in close formation, building themselves up in front of Harry and starting to yell: “You corrupted her!” “It’s your fault!” “Stay away from her!” “I demand a resorting”

“Potter, I will get your head for this!”

At the latest outburst from Ron, Ginny stood up, wand in hand, took aim and yelled: “BAIMPIS PESTIS”

 

Out of Ron’s nose were crawling little, rather ugly, black creatures which seemed to cause much pain. He wailed and tried to punch them away, hurting himself even more in the process.

 

Percy, the first to regain his posture said: “Ginevra, I demand you to stop that spell immediately and as prefect, I have to put you in detention!”

Before either Harry or Ginny could respond, Snape made his way over. With a flick he banished the Bat bogeys and said with an ice cold voice: “Mrs Weasley is a student of my house, choosing the punishment is up to me. As you were the aggressors and she was merely defending young Mr. Potter from Mr. Weasleys threats, I award Slytherin 20 points for outstanding spell work. Now get lost, or do you wish to loose points for holding up the sorting?”

 

“No, Professor.” Sulking, they made their way back to the Gryffindor table while Ginny was celebrated by the Slytherin house.

“That was an amazing hex, Ginevra!” A 5th year shouted.

Ginny was smiling as she sat back down to Harry.

“You made quite the entrance, where did you learn this spell? I never heard of it.”

“I told you I found some of Bills Ancient Runes and Archaeology books, this spell was used by Cleopatra’s mistresses to fight off unwanted company.”

“Amazing!”

 

The rest of the feast passed without further incidents and if Ginny was worried about not being accepted by her house mates, she was proven wrong. Her little magical assault on a group of Gryffindors consisting of Weasleys, an annoying bookworm and Daniel Potter, did wonders to her popularity.

Daphne Greengrass leaned with a smirk and said: “So Harry, that’s your little secret pen pal? I like the minx.”

 

As the feast ended, a prefect shouted: “First years, come with me now or find your way to the common room alone! Be smart or you will sleep in the corridors.”

 

Harry whispered to Ginny: “Come Gin, let`s see Professor Snape about the Diary.”

She nodded eagerly and they made their way up to the head table.

 

“Professor Snape, could we please talk to you for a minute. In private.”

He raised an eyebrow but nodded and rose to his feet. He left for the dungeons without further comment, he motioned Harry and Ginny into his classroom and closed the door behind them.

 

“Thank you Professor. We stumbled upon a name and wanted to know if you had heard it somewhere before. I found the name vaguely familiar but I couldn`t place it.”

Ginny spoke up and added: “We want to know if it was a person you should trust or not.”

“Very well, what is the name of the person, I assume he or she is dead?”

“Yes, we think so. The name is Tom Riddle.”

Snape looked like he was struck by a lightning, his already pale skin started to resemble a vampire and it looked like he forgot about the importance of breathing.

“Professor?” Ginny asked mildly.

“Where have you heard that name?”

Harry and Ginny shot each other a glance, silently deciding that they want to keep it a secret.

 

“Eh, I really don`t remember, but the name just stuck.”

Snape took a deep breath and said: “What I am about to tell you, will never leave this room. Understood?”

Both said: “Yes, sir” in unison.

 

“Tom Marvolo Riddle was the best pupil of his time. Teachers favourite as well as popular with the students. But he was not as you said a person you could trust. He used all people around him. Eventually he followed a path into darkness. When he emerged he had given himself a new name. His name was… don’t ever make me say it again… his name was Lord Voldemort.”

 

Ginny sucked in a sharp breath while Harry looked angry.

“He killed my parents?!”

“Yes, Tom Riddle became the strongest wizard that has ever existed. Not even Dumbledore would have been able to best him in a duel, even if most believe he could have.”

 

“How did Voldemort become so powerful?” Ginny asked with a hint of eagerness in her voice.

“Like I said, he was an exceptional student. I heard that there wasn`t anybody who spent more time studying. And unlike some of the more studious students in your year Harry, he was not held back by morals or rules. He discovered secrets of magic, even in his youth that no others have.”

“Thank you Professor, we will keep out promise and never tell anyone.”

Professor Snape nodded and dismissed them.

 

“I can`t believe I trusted Voldemort! Thank you so much for warning me.”

“I am just glad that I heard that name somewhere. But how did you get his diary?”

“Like I said, it was in my cauldron, I doubt my family would have given it to me. They are always wary of anything that could be considered ‘dark’.”

“Do you think someone slipped it you? Do you have any enemies?”

“Harry please, why would I have enemies? I am eleven.” She thought for a moment before adding, “But my dad has some. He gets into many fight with Lucius Malfoy, Dad tried to prevent a law that would be bad for muggleborns but Malfoy does his best to get it through.”

 

“Do you think he wanted someone to find you with the diary, so he can blame your dad for being, I don`t know, some kind of dark wizard?”

“It would make sense. So, what are we going to do?”

“We should destroy it” Harry said.

“Hmm, but Professor Snape said Tom Riddle was one of the best students who have ever existed, we could use him!”

“Ginny, he killed my parents. I don’t want to have anything to do with him, I want him dead!”

 

“He is dead, at least kind of. I mean, he lived in Quirrel and he lives in the Diary. Maybe he didn`t fully die when he tried to kill your brother?”

“You mean like a Ghost?”

“Yes, ghosts normally can’t interact with us physically but the Professor said he was a powerful wizard, maybe he found a way to become a ghost that can?”

“Wow, how do you know so much about these things?”

“I told you I found my oldest brothers books, they are full of creepy stories and ancient rituals.”

 

“Amazing! So you say Voldemort might not be dead?”

“Yes, and from what Ron told me he seemed close to coming back last year. Now imagine he comes back, he will hunt Daniel and you down. We need to be prepared, I won`t let him harm you!”

Harry smiled and said: “Alright Ginny, let`s see if we can get Tom Riddle to tell us about his secrets. But we will always be together when opening the diary, I don`t trust it.”

“Of course Harry, writing in it felt like it could see in my very souls. He knew about all my fears and wishes. I only wrote in the diary for 2 days but I already depended on it.”

“It’s dangerous and we have to treat it with care, but like you said we can use it.”

“We are stronger and smarter than Voldemort, as long as we work together.”

 

“We have to keep the diary a secret from everybody, I don`t want Malfoy to find out about us using it. If he doesn`t see it, he might think we threw it away.”

“We could create a fake and destroy in front of his eyes.” She said with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

Harry chuckled and said: “Sounds good.”

 

They entered the common room and bid their good nights, tired from their first day at school together.

 

 

Th e next day, Harry and Ginny entered the Great Hall for breakfast with the other Slytherins. As the morning post arrived Harry said to Ginny: “I hope Hedwig won`t get bored now. I think she really liked flying to you.”

“Yes she did, we should meet her today. Let’s head up to the Owlery after classes.”

A brown owl dropped a red letter in front of Ginny and seemed to make a hasty retreat.

“Uh oh, that`s a howler. Ginevra, what happened?” Blaise Zabini asked.

Ginny had a shocked expression but just shrugged her shoulders. “I really don`t know. My mum is probably not happy about me sitting with Harry.”

“You brothers really are gits,” Harry said.

Sighting Ginny took the letter and opened it. “Let’s just get through with it”

 

“GINEVRA MOLLY WEASLEY, I AM SO DISAPPOINTED IN YOU. YOU DISGRACED YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY BY ALIGNING WITH SORTS LIKE HARRY POTTER. YOU WILL GO TO YOUR HEADMASTER IMMEDIATELY AND ASK TO BE RESORTED AND IF HARRY POTTER EVER TALKS WITH YOU AGAIN, HE WILL HAVE TO ANSWER TO ME.”

 

The entire hall was shunned silent, a couple of chuckles being the exception, until Harry coughed and said: “Dear Ginevra Molly Weasley… I think I have to answer to your mother.”

She giggled and said: “Apparently you have to, but I don’t want to send Hedwig there. So, we just have to wait until she meets you in person.”

“Oh joy.”

 

For the remaining day both were astounded by the support their fellow Slytherins were offering to her. As much as they fought among themselves, if someone threatened a snake, all would retaliate.”

 

In the evening Harry and Ginny chatted excitedly about Professor Lockhart’s duelling club. Harry was doing his best to cheer her up, as first years weren`t allowed to participate.

“Well, I guess I will win the tournament next year. This year I will make sure you win, what kind of spells are you going to use?”

“I am not as good as my brother in DADA and I occasionally struggle with charms which need a lot of precision, but overall I think I have a good chance.”

“Luna told me that Professor Flitwick was a duel champion when he was younger, and him being a descendant of Kriptyvis.”

 

“What’s that?”

“I didn’t ask. Believe me, its better that way.”

“Eh ok. Professor Flitwick was a duelling champion? I think I really have to step up my charms game.”

“But you are great with transfigurations, just play to your strengths.”

“But how can I use transfiguration in a duel? DADA spells are obvious and you can use many Charms to harm someone.”

 

“You can talk to snakes, we have to look up a spell that can transfigure things into snakes.”

“But transfiguring something into an animal is ruddy difficult, I think we don’t learn about that until 4th year.”

“I am sure you can do it, besides maybe changing things into snakes comes easy to you. I mean, you are in the Hogwarts house of snakes and you can talk to snakes.”

 

Harry chuckled, “Okay, I will learn the spell. But I should use it at last resort, if people know about an incoming snake attack they can easily counter it.”

“Hmm, you are right.”

“Happens from time to time”

 

Ginny giggled and said: “You could use the environment to your advantage, just dodge the incoming spells and change the floor to, I don’t know, honey.”

“Honey?”

 

“Dunno, something sticky. Let’s go to the library tomorrow. We just have to find something that can distract your foe and then you can finish him off.”

“I don’t want to win by using the shocking or disarming spells, that’s boring.”

“That’s it, you could transfigure your enemy directly!”

“Like turning him or her into an animal?”

“Yes or just turning his tongue into a frog tongue, they won`t be able to cast spells and I will get a good laugh out of it.”

“Oh right, that`s brilliant. What will you use next year, the bat bogey hex?”

“That would be too easy, I doubt any second year will be able to raise a shield fast enough. I think I will use some charms, sounds like a challenge. And it might put me in the good graces of Flitwick, I heard that he will act as referee.”

 

“You always have an ulterior motive in mind, huh?”

“Of course, why do you think I talk with you? You are famous and rich!”

Harry chuckled, “If anyone but you said that, I would be devastated. But sadly I am neither. Both the fame and my families money belong to my brother.”

 

“Seems like I got the wrong Potter then. Just kidding, your brother is a prat.”

“So, let’s head to the library tomorrow, good night.”

“Night Harry.”

 

After their last class they met and headed to the library. As always Hermione was there studying various books. Harry and Ginny started skimming through the book shelves taking every book that sounded interesting. After each had as many books as they could carry they settled down in a quiet corner.

They looked through the books for some time before Ginny huffed: “That`s not at all what I am looking for. I am sure you could use those charms in a duel somehow, but I want something more, I don`t know, impactful.”

 

“Yes, I also can’t find a snake transfiguration spell. At least there are some general tips on transfiguration, but I knew most of them already.”

“I don`t think we will find much in here. Do you know anybody we could ask?”

 

“I already asked Professor Snape, but he said he never uses transfiguration or charms in duels. He relies on more directly offensive magic.”

“But that’s boring!” Ginny wailed, after a couple of moments of silence she added in a whisper “We could ask Tom”

 

Harry took in a sharp breath and wanted to start to protest immediately, but was cut off by Ginny, “No, listen. We both know how dangerous he is, but he was the best student of his time, together we are stronger than him. I bet we can make him work for us!”

 

“That’s right, he killed my parents. Destroying the diary won`t bring them back, but using him will give me some satisfaction.”

“And it should make school work much easier.”

“Madam, you are right as always.”

Ginny chuckled, “obviously.”

 

They went down to their common room and retrieved the diary. “Harry, where do you want to use it? I don’t think anybody should see us.”

“Right, I stumbled upon a nice little room in the 3rd floor, it`s not big but I doubt anybody will pass by.”

“Okay, that reminds me, we have to start our quest of exploring all of Hogwarts’ secrets,” she said.

“Let’s see how much we can learn from Riddle, then we can go.”

 

“All right, there we are.” It was a nice little storage room that seemed to have been unused for centuries.

“Eww dead mice. There is no furniture, let`s nick something from a nearby classroom.” Ginny said, the mice already forgotten.”

“Are you a kleptomaniac?”

“What`s that?”

“I think that`s a person who likes stealing, my aunt said our neighbour is one.”

 

“It’s not the stealing I like, it’s the ehh. I don`t know, it`s fun and exciting you know?”

“Don`t tell me, when I was younger and I wanted something I had to steal it. I usually blamed my brother, worked like a charm.”

“Sometimes I pity your brother, he is dumb and you abuse it!” She said while laughing out loud.

 

“Same goes for your family I guess.”

“My brothers always were gits, except for Bill, but I usually got along with my parents. At least with my dad, my mum thinks I am not becoming a proper lady because I like Quidditch and pick too many fights.”

 

“Well, I am glad you like Quidditch and at least someone has to fight my battles” he said with wink. “I hope I didn’t harm your relationship with your dad.”

“I think you did, but don`t apologise, it really their fault not yours. I don`t understand what`s gotten into them.”

 

“Ah well let’s stop worrying and grab those chairs. And a desk I suppose.”

“You have to carry the desk!” with that she darted from the room towards the next empty classroom.

 

 

Reviews 53
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear