Search:

SIYE Time:18:06 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Little Bit of Hope
By CharmHazel

- Text Size +

Category: Post-Hogwarts, Post-DH/AB
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, James Potter, Lily Potter, Remus Lupin, Sirius Black
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff, General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 36
Summary: At the height of the first wizarding war, Albus Dumbledore seeks out a mythical artefact to help bring hope to those he believes will be affected by the prophecy.
Hitcount: Story Total: 13017; Chapter Total: 1675
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
Well, here it is, the final chapter in this story. I have been working on this story for over a year, so glad to have finally have finished and published it. Thank you, therefore, for all the amazing reviews and nominations for the Trinkets. Makes all my hard work on this story worth it!

Thank you Arnel for your amazing editing as always!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Godric’s Hollow — October 1981…

“Are you absolutely certain about this?” Sirius asked after he had been informed the Potters were planning to go into hiding, having been made aware that Voldemort was intending on coming after them.

“Padfoot… Sirius… Lily and I have discussed this and we feel this is the best course of action for us, for Harry,” James replied in a much calmer manner than Sirius had expected of him. “You know full well that Harry is our priority and I will refuse to allow that monster to come anywhere near me, my wife or my son.”

Sirius looked at his two closest friends for a moment before turning to look towards where his beloved godson was sitting on the carpet, playing with his toys. He knew what James had said was true, just as he knew James and Lily would willingly lay down their lives for their son if it meant Harry lived. In all honesty, he knew he would also do the same for Harry, all because he loved that little boy more than anyone and anything in the world.

“We can see how much you love Harry, Sirius,” Lily softly said to the Animagus as she watched as her son looked up and grinned at his godfather. “Harry loves you as well.”

Sirius returned his gaze to James and Lily, knowing that if Voldemort was truly after them, then they would need as much as protection as possible to prevent them from being found the so-called Dark Lord.

“Not me, it cannot be me,” Sirius said in a tone that made clear he would not be backing down from what he had said or what he was about to suggest. “I can’t be the one who is your Secret Keeper.”

James could only look at his long-term friend in confusion, wondering why he would turn the chance to protect the Potters, most specifically his godson.

“Don’t look at me like that, Prongs,” Sirius snapped, hating seeing the confusion and hurt in his best friend’s eyes. “You know it will be far too obvious a choice for it to be me. I would rather die than give away the secret to where you are, but it would be a much better choice for us not to take that chance. We can make people believe I am the Secret Keeper, it is what they will be expecting, but we need to choose someone less conspicuous to actually be it.”

“He’s right, James. It makes sense to do this,” Lily said in a soothing voice on seeing the agitation on her husband’s face. “It would create an extra layer of protection for us, and more importantly, for Harry. If no one knows who the true Secret Keeper is, then how would Voldemort be able to find us?”

James didn’t respond, instead, choosing to move off the sofa and sit down next to his son, who immediately looked up at his father, smiling widely. James knew what Sirius had suggested and what Lily had said made the most sense, but it was hard to accept an option that would require them putting their trust in someone other than Sirius, especially when there were suspicions of there being a traitor in the Order. However, he felt hopeful that the decision to go into hiding was the right one for them as a family, therefore, an unexpected Secret Keeper had to be the right choice too.

“Who?” James simply asked, knowing that Sirius must have had someone in mind for him to even suggest the idea.

“Peter,” Sirius immediately responded. “He may be our friend, but I don’t think anyone would expect you to turn to him for something as important as this.”

Lily and James locked eyes with one another and had a silent conversation in response to Sirius’ suggestion. The moment they broke eye contact, they turned their gaze onto their son. A hopeful feeling washed over them as they watched Harry babble away to himself, a feeling which was telling them that this was the right decision for them if they were to have any chance of protecting Harry and give him a chance to grow up in a peaceful world.

“Let’s use Peter,” James confirmed.

HP&GW

Grimmau ld Place — June 1996…

Severus Snape swooped into the kitchen of Grimmauld Place with an urgency that shocked the few Order members who were currently gathered there.

“Good, you are here and you are safe,” the Potions Master stated as he looked directly at Sirius.

Sirius did not respond, choosing to wait for Snape to elaborate further.

“I believe that Potter has been sent a vision by the Dark Lord and he now has the firm belief that you have somehow been captured and are being held in the bowels of the Ministry. However, it also seems that he has led Professor Umbridge into Forbidden Forest as way of a distraction,” Snape explained in answer to Sirius’ unasked question. “I need to return to Hogwarts immediately and search the forest to check if the boy is still in there with Miss Granger. I believe, though, it is more likely he has found a way to travel to the Ministry to rescue you and it is imperative that the Order goes to his rescue before he does something stupid.”

Every Order member present immediately stood to leave.

“Where in the Ministry, exactly?” Moody demanded as he stomped past the Potions Master.

“The Department of Mysteries,” Snape immediately answered before stopping Sirius from leaving with Moody, Tonks, Shacklebolt and Lupin. “You, Black, must remain here. Albus is on his way and someone needs to inform of what is happening.”

“NO, I am NOT remaining behind, not this time,” Sirius protested fiercely, coming toe to toe with Snape and causing Remus to remain in the kitchen. “He is MY godson, he NEEDS me.”

“And as much as it pains me to say this,” Snape said with a great reluctance, despite the truth in his words, “you must remain here, BECAUSE the boy needs you.”

“Severus is right, Sirius,” Remus softly told his friend before he could protest further. “If anything was to happen to you, Harry will never forgive himself. He needs you to remain safe, he needs you alive.”

Remus reached out and gave his friend’s shoulder a gentle squeeze before he rushed out of the kitchen to join the other Order members in their task.

“What gives YOU the right to decide what is the right course of action for me to take?” Sirius demanded in anger at being made to stay behind once again.

“It is not for me to decide, but you know, as well as I do, that it appears the fate of the wizarding world is on Potter’s shoulders, whether he has realised it already or not,” Snape explained, his patience beginning to wane. “Albus has kept you locked up in this house for your own safety and for Potter’s sanity. Imagine what it will do to the boy if you were to die.”

Sirius said nothing as he struggled to cope with the impact of Snape’s words.

“Remain behind, inform Albus of what has happened,” Snape stated firmly before he, too, swept out of the kitchen.

Sirius pulled at his hair, hating the fact he was currently confined to the house on Dumbledore’s orders. He did understand why he had been made to remain in a house he hated, a house he had said he would never return to. He was only following orders to stay for Harry, knowing it made his godson feel better knowing that no one could get to his godfather here. However, he needed to be there to help his godson in any way that he could, even if it meant risking his own life. He had already broken his promise to protect Harry by getting himself chucked into Azkaban for a crime he did not commit, making him even more determined to keep it now he was able to do so.

An overwhelming feeling of hope washed over him as he thought about the words both Remus and Snape had said to him about why he needed to remain behind. While he agreed with them that Harry would suffer greatly if he were to die, he knew his godson was strong enough that he would eventually find a way to fight his way out of his grief and find happiness like he deserved. He was certain that his godson would win this war and finally have the life he had long been denied and just knowing that gave him a strong hope for the future, for Harry, no matter what happened to himself.

“Kreacher!” Sirius called for his wretched house-elf as he decided he had enough hope that whatever happened tonight, his godson would make it through the dark times ahead, with or without him.

“Kreacher!” Sirius called for his wretched house-elf again as he made a snap decision, knowing now he had enough hope that, whatever happened tonight, his godson would make it through the dark times ahead of him, with or without his godfather.

HP&GW

Hogwart s — June 1997…

As Harry slowly made his way down to the Great Hall for breakfast, his hand holding on tightly to his best source of comfort, he realised he could no longer put off the words he had been holding in since the night that Dumbledore had died. It had to happen today if he was going to stick to his convictions and go through with what he knew would be one of the hardest things he had ever done.

He glanced over at his girlfriend and saw the solemn expression on her face. He suspected that it was not only the death of their Headmaster or the injuries Bill had suffered from Greyback that had allowed that expression to appear there. He was certain she was aware of what was to come when it came to their relationship. Not once, though, had she brought it up in conversation when they had been alone, instead, choosing to enjoy whatever time they had left together. He was certain she knew it was him who would be the one to finally defeat Voldemort, but, then again, she had never asked and he had never offered any information. He was humbled by the amount of trust she had in him, despite the sheer number of secrets he was currently keeping from her. Even so, he believed she would demand a full explanation when this war finally came to an end and he knew he would give it willingly and freely.

Harry tightened his grip on his girlfriend’s hand, causing Ginny to look up and smile wanly at him. In her eyes, he could see her begging him not to say anything right now, that now was not the time to have the conversation neither wished to have, but knew was necessary. He smiled weakly in return, knowing he would need her by his side during Professor Dumbledore’s funeral.

He hated the idea of pushing Ginny away, of putting their relationship to one side, of not being able to be with her, just so he could finish what Voldemort had started all those years ago. However, he knew he needed to do it if she was to remain safe, not that he could be certain that would be the case while the war raged on. He figured though, that if she was not his girlfriend and people believed they were no longer together, it would, in theory, keep her safer than she was at this moment. However, it was for his own sanity and peace of mind that he needed to believe she was safe, especially if he was going to have any chance to completing what Dumbledore had left him to do.

Amazingly, though he wasn’t certain where the feeling had come from, he felt hopeful that this was the right decision to make for them as a couple, that Ginny would understand his reasoning behind the break up and that if he made it through this war safely and in one piece, she would accept him back into her life without question or doubt. She had been the brightest spark in his life over this past few weeks and it had given him a glimpse of something he had never expected to have and something he desperately wished to have in the future if he was given the chance. In all honesty, if he made It through this war, he knew he wanted Ginny to be a big part of his life, and for that reason, he needed her to be safe, he needed her, more than anyone else within his life that he cared deeply for, to survive this war.

As the young couple finally reached the entrance to the Great Hall, the hopeful feeling Harry felt within himself remained and he knew that whatever words were spoken between him and Ginny later that day, she would accept what he needed to do and would wait for him as he did so. If anything, it was Ginny’s mere presence that strengthened the hope he needed and had to believe he could come through this war alive, while also defeating the monster who had consistently made his life a living hell.

HP&GW

Hogwarts — June 1997…

Ginny could do nothing but watch as Harry stood from his seat and walked away from her and towards the lake. She could feel the tears that had been slowly welling up in her eyes on the verge of falling, but she was determined to continue holding them back for just a little while longer. As much as her heart was breaking over what had just happened between her and Harry, she truly did understand his need to end their relationship to protect her and keep his mind focused on his task ahead. Normally, it would have bothered her to be left behind, to be kept safe, but she knew there was much more to his reasoning. She had been able to read between the lines, to grasp his need to believe she would remain safe and survive this war while he went and did whatever it was he needed to do. All she hoped for was that it would not take too long for him to complete and to come back to her.

“Ginny?” Hermione’s voice came, startling Ginny from her thoughts.

Ginny composed herself, putting on a brave face, before turning to look at the older witch.

“Are you okay?” Hermione asked with a sad smile on her face, which suggested to Ginny that she knew what had happened between her and Harry.

“I’m fine… I’ll be fine,” Ginny answered, knowing she was sounding like Harry usually did when he was asked the same question. “Nothing I didn’t expect.”

Hermione drew the redhead into her arms and hugged her tightly. “He’ll come back to you, I know he will. You give him the best reason to make it through this war.”

Ginny couldn’t help the small smile that came to her face at hearing those words from one of Harry’s best friends.

“Just promise you’ll look after him for me,” Ginny requested as she pulled away.

“Of course, I will,” the older witch replied before she stood and walked away with Ron to go and catch up with Harry.

Ginny remained seated as she watched them go and join up with Harry, trusting and knowing in her heart that if anyone could keep him safe and support him through whatever was about to come Harry’s way, it would be the two people who had been there for him since he first began Hogwarts; Hermione and her brother, Ron.

No longer wishing to continue to watch Harry, Hermione and Ron together, she finally stood from her seat and made her way back up to the castle on the hope of having just a few minutes alone to think and get her emotions in check. Luckily, no one appeared to notice or approach her, leaving by herself as she navigated her way through the castle and up to the Gryffindor Tower.

Ginny allowed her thoughts to drift back to Harry and the conversation they’d had as she walked through the near empty castle. She was not stupid and she knew Harry well enough to be able to read between the lines of the words he had said to her. If he had such a hard time with the possibility of attending her funeral, then, she knew it had to mean his feelings ran much deeper than he had ever confessed to her. She could only assume, therefore, he was still trying to figure out just how much he felt for her and she would not judge him for that when she had not revealed just how much she had fallen for him. However, his words also suggested that he needed to her survive whatever was to come, much in the same way she knew she needed him to survive. She had complete faith in him, that he could be the one to help end the war and win, and she truly believed that if anyone could do it, it would be Harry. That faith and belief she had in him, and the words Harry had said to her, left her with a strong feeling of hope that he would win, that he would survive and that he would return to her when it was finally over.

When she finally reached her dormitory, she changed out of her dress robes into Muggle clothing before checking to make sure she had everything in her trunk. She had hoped in keeping herself busy, she would be able to distract herself from her thoughts of Harry, but eventually a couple of tears slipped from her eyes as the heartbreak she was feeling from having to let Harry go began to overwhelm. Luckily, the dam of tears did not break as a feeling of hope flooded her heart, making her feel like she was strong enough to be patient to wait for Harry to come home to her.

HP&GW

The Tonks’ Residence — May 1998…

Remus rushed into the room where his wife was currently sat in a rocking chair, breastfeeding Teddy. He couldn’t help but pause for the moment, allowing himself a few seconds to take in the scene before him. He knew immediately he would respond to the call because this, right here, was what he wanted to preserve, what he needed to fight for.

“Tonks,” he softly said, not wanting to disturb their son.

Tonks looked at up and smiled at him.

“Harry has turned up at Hogwarts with Ron and Hermione,” Remus said before Tonks could speak. “A call has gone out for fighters.”

Tonks could only stare at her husband in shock at what she was hearing. Of all the places for Harry to be seen, the school had been the last place she had expected him to turn up at.

“Fighters?” she finally asked, wondering why people would be needed to help fight at Hogwarts.

“From what Kingsley managed to relay to me, it seems HE is on his way there,” Remus quickly replied, knowing time was of the essence. “Kingsley believes that if Harry is going end this, it will be happening tonight.”

Tonks looked down at her son, knowing she needed to stay with him, but her Auror instincts desperately made her want to follow her husband and join those gathering at Hogwarts to fight.

“I have to go, I have to be there to help Harry. I need you to stay here with Teddy,” Remus pleaded with his wife as he recognised the look on his face. “Please, for me, for Teddy, stay here.”

Tonks knew she couldn’t argue with him as she knew he could be just as stubborn as she was at times.

“Just promise me you’ll do your best to come home to us, to your family,” Tonks pleaded, resigned to the fact she would be remaining away from the fight for now.

Remus didn’t miss the lack of promise of her remaining behind as he walked over to where his wife sat and knelt in front of Tonks and Teddy. He gently ran a finger over his son’s cheek and as he did so, he felt a feeling of hope swell up inside his heart. He knew there was a good chance that he would not come home, but, for him, it would be worth it if it meant Teddy could grow up in a peaceful world. He was hopeful that, no matter what happened tonight, Teddy would understand and be proud of his father if he was not to return because Remus had chosen to make the sacrifice to help make the world a better place for his son to live in.

“I promise I will try my best to return to you and Teddy,” Remus responded sincerely. “However, if something does happen to me, it will be worth it. I have a strong feeling of hope for Teddy’s future, no matter whether I am a part of it or not. I understand now, why Lily and James were able to give their lives so willingly for Harry and I am prepared to make that same sacrifice for you and Teddy.”

Tonks smiled, understanding what her husband was saying and knowing she felt the same way.

Remus gently kissed Teddy on the cheek before kissing his wife with as much love as he could muster. As he left, he paused at the door to take in the scene before him for one last time and smiled.

HP&GW

Potter Cottage — June 2017…

“Mummy?”

“Yes, Lily,” Ginny said, looking up from the copy of the Daily Prophet she was reading.

“Why is there a photo with you and Daddy with two people who look just you?”

Ginny was taken aback by the question. Lily was looking at the photos from the visits made by people from their past, specifically the one they had taken with the younger selves. It was a risky move to place the photo where they had, considering they had kept the children from being a part of that specific visit, however, Harry had charmed so it would only be visible to themselves. There was only one reason for a charm failing and she knew that was not possible as she could hear Harry talking to Albus in the kitchen as he tidied up from breakfast. Therefore, she was confused as to why Lily could suddenly see the photo.

“Harry!” Ginny called out as she stood and moved over to where Lily stood, staring at the photo. She pulled out her wand to check the charm work and if needs be, recast it, but before she could cast the necessary spell a sharp pain shot through her head and she collapsed to floor, dropping her wand as she brought her hands up to her head.

“DADDY!” Lily screamed out as she watched her mum struggle against the pain.

Harry came rushing into the living room with Albus following him and took in the scene before him.

“Ginny!” he cried out as he rushed over to his wife and took her into his arms. “Gin, what’s wrong? What happened?”

When Ginny did not respond, Harry turned to his daughter, looking for answers.

“I asked Mummy why there was a photo of you both with two people who looked like you and when she went to have a closer look, she dropped her wand and grabbed her head,” Lily quickly explained.

Harry knew which photo his daughter meant, knowing it had been charmed to remain unseen to everyone but himself and Ginny. He wondered if the charm failing and Ginny collapsing was a sign of what they had been waiting for, their memories returning to them. However, before he could check the photo himself, Ginny stirred in his arms.

“Gin?”

Ginny looked up at her husband, a glazed look in her eyes.

“I remember,” she whispered before passing out.

Harry swung Ginny into his arms and proceeded to carry her up to their bedroom. However, he paused at the doorway, turning to speak to his children.

“Al, can you take the Floo over to The Burrow and ask Grandma Molly to come over here, please?”

“Okay, Dad,” Albus replied before heading over to the fireplace to do as he was asked.

“Lily, can you pick up that photo?” Harry asked his daughter. “Explain what happened to Grandma and then bring that photo up to me as I need to go through as your mum has.”

“Why?” Lily asked as Harry was about to move once more.

Harry sighed, knowing how inquisitive his children could be.

“I promise, Lily, I’ll explain it all to you later, but right now, I need to take your mum upstairs to sleep off what she has just been through.”

Harry did not wait for a response from Lily, choosing instead to continue to the master bedroom.

HP&GW

Harry slowly woke from his nap, his eyes fluttering open to see his wife sitting on the bed, watching over him. For a moment, he wondered why he was in bed in the middle of the afternoon until he remembered having carried Ginny up here after she had blacked-out from the pain of long-hidden memories returning to her, memories he believed to be those from their use of the Hopeful Heart.

Once he had settled her onto their bed, Molly had arrived and Harry had explained what had happened. When he had explained that he felt it would best if he allowed his own memories to be returned to him, using the same method, she had quickly agreed to remain at Potter Cottage and look after Albus and Lily while he joined Ginny in having a short sleep.

The pain of the memories returning had been much more horrendous than he had been expecting and he could understand while Ginny had passed out not long after the pain had passed. He didn’t remember passing out himself, but he knew he had been laying down on the bed when he taken the photo frame from Lily.

“Hey, Sleepyhead,” Ginny quietly said as she handed Harry his glasses to put on.

“Hey, Gin,” Harry replied as he slowly sat up, leaning against the headboard. “Are you okay? You scared me when I found you the way I did.”

“I’m fine, now,” Ginny said as she slid across the bed and curled up against her husband. “Mum explained to me as best as she could about what had happened. She said you had taken the photo to look at as well.”

“I figured it would be best if I regained my memories as well,” Harry shrugged. “I’m just surprised at the way it happened.”

“I know what you mean. The last thing I remember before waking up and Mum telling me what had happened was Lily asking me about the photo of us with our younger selves.”

“You don’t remember the pain you were in or telling me you remembered?”

“Do you remember the pain?”

Now Harry thought about it, he could remember the moment the pain hit him, but nothing after that. “Okay, that’s a good point. Luckily, I don’t feel it now either. Why did it happen now, though? Why not just after our younger selves left?”

“Well, if you think about it, Harry, it has been twenty years since our younger selves used the Hopeful Heart and ten years since they visited us. Perhaps there is a certain amount time that has to pass before the memories return, but you have to remember Dumbledore didn’t know if or when they would return as he was only guessing they would.”

Ginny’s explanation made sense to him. The one thing he had learned since discovering the wizarding world was that magic could do incredible things without explanation.

“Well, I am guessing we’ll never know why the charm on the photo failed, either,” Harry mused. “Magic can do some pretty impressive things that sometimes it is better left unexplained.”

“Wow, my husband, the Auror, leaving a mystery alone,” Ginny teased. “I never thought I would see that day come!”

“Very funny, Gin,” Harry jokingly grumbled. “It is weird, though, having two sets of memories from that day our younger selves visited or from when we visited that day. I remember the conversation you had with my younger self now.

“I remember the conversation you had with my younger self as well,” Ginny said as she sat up to look down at her husband’s face. “I am glad you told me what you did about why you broke up with me, making me understand you didn’t want to do it. I would have accepted what you needed to do even without us visiting our future selves, but I think that conversation, despite not remembering it, helped me deal with it better. I felt strong enough to be patient and wait for you to return to me. The visit here gave me enough hope, and even faith, to know you would return to me.”

“You were, well, we were both right, not to let my younger self know he was already in love with you,” Harry confessed. “I have been in love with you for longer than I realised back then. I think that had I already known, I may have done something stupid, like come and rescue you from Hogwarts. Having seen us together, married with the children, in the future, that was enough to give me hope that I could survive and return to you. However, do you know what the best part of having our memories of that day back?”

“I think I might,” Ginny coyly replied. “Why don’t you tell me?”

Harry sat up quickly, flipping Ginny onto her back before crawling over her body and looking down at her.

“Remembering the actual first time we shared a bed together,” Harry softly replied. “I remember how much I enjoyed curling up together and falling asleep together. I remember thinking how I wanted to be able to do that every night with you. I enjoyed the closeness and the comfort it brought both of us. It would definitely explain why we suddenly began falling asleep in the common room together, late at night.”

Ginny smiled, remembering all those late nights together on the sofa after a long day of exams.

“Now, though, we can do so much more than just sleep,” she whispered seductively as she pulled Harry down into a heated kiss.
Reviews 36
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear