Search:

SIYE Time:11:04 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Like Flames
By DragonHeartstring

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Other, Ron Weasley
Genres: Comedy, Fluff, General, Romance
Warnings: Death
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 71
Summary: AU. After a disappointing year on a reserve Quidditch team, Ginny Weasley decides to change her path and join the Auror Academy. There, she learns more about magic, love, evil, and herself than she ever could have imagined.
Hitcount: Story Total: 35695; Chapter Total: 3516
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
This is the final chapter. I know it's short, but it's really just an epilogue to tie up loose ends. Thanks to everyone who read and reviewed this story, I really hope you enjoyed it!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Perfectly patchy clouds hung in the sky over Harpies Stadium in Wales, and Harry wound his way through the crowds towards the Friends and Family box. He had been held up at work with a mound of paperwork on his latest arrest and therefore he was running a little late, but he noticed a sea of bright red hair in the box and hoped that they had remembered to save him a seat. He squeezed through the door, showing the security wizard his ticket, and threw himself down into the empty seat beside Ron.

“What are they saying?” he asked.

Ron grinned. He was dressed head to toe in Harpies attire, half of his face painted dark green, the other half a bright gold. His jersey said WEASLEY on the front and back, a popular knockoff of Ginny’s robes that was sold at the merchandise stands on the lower levels. “10-1, Harpies was the best I’ve heard. Too bad I didn’t place any bets, but Hermione wouldn’t let me.”

“It isn’t right,” Hermione said, leaning around Ron to talk to Harry. Like Ron, she was wearing a replica Weasley Harpies jersey, but had not painted her face. “He shouldn’t be placing bets on his sister’s performance.” She glared at Harry as if he did something offensive.

He held up his hands. “I’m not betting, don’t worry.”

Hermione studied him for a moment as if trying to gauge his sincerity before nodding in approval and sitting back in her seat. She turned her attention to the program in her lap, on which Harry could see the three Harpies’ chasers zooming across the page, and Ron turned to Harry and rolled his eyes. Harry grinned back. Thanks to Ginny’s incessant pushing, Ron and Hermione had finally gotten together, and Harry found himself growing closer to both of them.

The crowd below them was starting to grow restless, waiting for the game to start, and Harry swiveled in his seat to look at the other people sharing the box with him. The entire Weasley family was there. Mrs. Weasley smiled at him from the other end of the row before eyeing him critically, and Harry was sure that she intended on feeding him the moment they returned to the Burrow after the match. From a few rows behind him, Cho waved, and he waved back, smiling while he took in the awed look on the face of her new muggle boyfriend.

Harry thought about the changes in his life over the past two years. After the arrest of a known Death Eater — who was believed to be dead — the ministry discovered a newfound interest in finding and capturing the rest of the Death Eaters. Harry, along with Mad-Eye Moody, headed the investigations, and he had just finished the paperwork on the final capture. Burning his list of Death Eaters was a cathartic experience. Ginny had always been willing to help him, whether emotionally or through actual research and brainstorming, but she had left the Auror Office behind without a second glance. Since joining the Harpies, Ginny’s career had skyrocketed, and she had become something of an overnight celebrity. In her first season with the team, she was able to help bring the Harpies to the playoffs, and this year had contributed to them reaching the finals, as well as the overwhelming odds in their favor.

Cheers emitted from the crowd and pulled Harry out of his musings. He turned back to face the field, ready to watch the game. Below him sat a sea of dark green and gold, as most of the witches and wizards in attendance were supporting the home team in this all-important Final Match. The excitement in the air was palpable.

“Welcome to the Quidditch League’s Final between the Holyhead Harpies and the Tutshill Tornados!”

The announcer’s voice echoed across the stadium, and the supporters erupted in cheers.

“The winners of today’s game will be the recipients of the League Cup! Also at the conclusion of today’s match, we will be announcing the team that won this year’s Josef Wronski Award for Excellent Pitch Skills and which player is given the Dangerous Dai Llewellyn Commemorative Medal. Now please put your hands together for the Holyhead Harpies and the Tutshill Tornados!”

From opposing sides of the stadium, seven players in bright blue and seven players in dark green shot to the sky, a deafening cry emerged from the crowd. Harry scanned the sky, his eyes immediately drawn to Ginny. She was sitting astride her broom, looking more confident than he could have imagined possible, talking lightly to one of her fellow chasers. The wind was somewhat strong, whipping the tail of her robes around her, but she remained steady on her broom. Harry looked closely at Ginny’s face, at the smile that lit up her face and the glow in her eyes. She looked happy, and like she was at home, and he knew that she never would have felt this way about working in the Auror Office.

The referee’s whistle drew the players to the center of the pitch, and the quaffle was shot up into the air. Ginny was the first to reach out and grab it, tucking it underneath her arm and shooting forward. The crowd cheered as Ginny bent low over the handle of her broom, her bright red ponytail dancing behind her and the gold WEASLEY emblazoned on her back gleaming in the patchy sunlight. She feinted left and threw to the right, and the quaffle flew through the hoop.

As more screams from the crowd rang out around him, Harry reached into his pocket and felt for the small velvet box that he had been carrying around for the past few weeks. He had been waiting for the perfect moment to come along, but was slowly realizing that any moment could be the perfect one if he just went for it. He rolled the box around in his hand, watching as Ginny scored yet another goal.

It would be the perfect moment, tonight.
Reviews 71
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear