Search:

SIYE Time:3:29 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Trouble with Family
By BigIve

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Nymphadora Tonks, Other, Ron Weasley
Genres: Action/Adventure, General, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Death, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Spouse/Adult/Child Abuse, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 19
Summary: It is after the Battle and the search for Hermione's parents uncovers some unexpected branches on a previously well known family tree.

Canon Relationships.

Some Mature/Adult Themes and Language.
Hitcount: Story Total: 51961; Chapter Total: 2352







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Introductions

It is often said that Friends are Merlin’s apology for your family. But sometimes you’re the family that needs apologising for.


Family. It is a strange word with as many different meanings as there are people on this planet. To some it only means a group of people related by Blood or connected by Marriage. To yet others it is a group of people who will love and support each other through both the very best and worst that life has to offer.

To a very lucky few it is both of these.

Family can also have a way of sneaking up on you, in both time and place. Sometimes it even pops up at your front door without either of you knowing it.

We are all born into some sort of family. For some it is very large, for others it can be quite small. As we grow up with our family we share a belief in ourselves. That we know our family and that we are a good family. However, we often don’t know our family (or families) as well as we like.

This journal is my attempt to record for the family (both the one I knew and the one I didn’t) how we came to learn about each other. Most of that initial interaction between our two families was centred on one particular young man. So many of these early stories will be around him and his interactions with us all.

I will also endeavour to cover the stories relating to the interactions between myself and my newly discovered (at the time) sister. How we discovered why we never knew about each other. Along with our own particular (and occasionally painful) journey to uncover the reasons why she was cast out by our family to begin with. I know I certainly learnt a great deal about the views and aspirations of certain family members during this journey.

To answer the (incessant) questions from certain members of this family, yes the ‘fashion’ related incidents that you have heard about over the years will be discussed in this journal. But please don’t skip direct to those particular chapters.
Leave the poor young man in question his dignity for just a little while longer while you read the earlier chapters. After all the story of the ‘Paris Incident’ has now been recorded for posterity and enough copies have been made to ensure that he can’t destroy them all.

I will be joined on this journey by various members of my family (old and new) as well as some dear friends as well. As they all share their experiences of this remarkable episode in our lives.

While the journey was equal parts, wild, frightening, exciting, joyful and sorrowful I don’t think any of us would have changed it given the result we are now enjoying.

It is my hope to have this journal completed in time to present it to the newest family pair within our family on their special day.

I hope you enjoy this attempt to bring together all the different stories from the family into one (hopefully) cohesive tale of the discovery of a lifetime.

Molly Weasley

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*


First Meetings (Molly's Point of View)

14th May 1998 (Thursday)

When knowingly meeting family for the first time, there is usually a set protocol or custom to be followed. You observe and try your best to learn about each other, as you know that you are likely to share certain traits. If those traits are a talent for temper and stubbornness, then there is usually a slight wariness, a desire to tread carefully ‘for the sake of the family’.

However, that assumes that you know you are meeting new family members. What happens when you meet new family unknowingly, who happen to share ALL of your famous traits (and a willingness to use them)?

I still remember that eventful day (and the ones immediately following it). One thing I can certainly say, they were not dull days for our family. Not by a long shot…

It was only our 4th day back at the Burrow after about a week spent at Hogwarts after the Battle. We were all still reeling from the loss of Fred, as well as coming to terms with the loss and then return of our Harry. Harry, Ron and Hermione had also explained to us all their ‘adventures’ of the past 9 months. It was still a lot to process.

Consequently, the family was finding great comfort in just being around one another. None of my children (or their partners) have ever needed a reason to visit us here at the Burrow. They are always welcome. But in the days after our returning to our home, the number of unannounced and extended visits was way up. I must add that I loved having everyone around.

Often just being in the same room together was enough. Smiles, hugs, pats on the back, these all seemed to be enough to convince ourselves that we really were still here with each other.

Unfortunately for two of our number this wasn’t possible.

Harry’s family were all dead, and while he had been adopted by the Weasley clan (especially our little Ginny) I could see that he was really missing that he couldn’t share his victory with his real parents. He was also keenly feeling the loss of his godfather Sirius as well as his friends Remus and Tonks.

We all did our best to fill this void in his life by making sure that he felt included (and loved) in our family. While there were some rough moments back at Hogwarts in the immediate aftermath of the Battle, when everyone was at their most raw and vulnerable. Things had greatly improved since, thankfully. The misunderstanding between him and Ginny had been sorted out (exhaustion and high emotion are not a good combination). Although it did involve another (thankfully short) stay in the Hogwarts Hospital wing for him.

His fears about being blamed and rejected by us because of Fred’s death had also been quashed by George’s tearful reunion with him in the hospital wing. George had shown true courage and compassion by tearfully telling Harry that he wasn’t responsible for Fred’s death. That nothing could have kept Fed away from a Battle over something he so deeply believed in. Freedom.

For Hermione, the situation was different. Her parents were alive (as best as she knew), but were on the other side of the globe. They also had at that point in time no memory of her and different names.

In an attempt to protect her parents, she had modified their memories so that they believed that they were Wendell and Monica Wilkins. A couple who didn’t have a daughter but did have a desire to move to Australia to live.
Her worry about her parents had been growing on a daily basis, almost beginning directly after the defeat of Tom Riddle Jr. Well at least after she woke up from a very well deserved rest after the defeat of Tom Riddle Jr.
It was an attempt to quiet this growing worry that my loving husband Arthur had gone to see the newly appointed interim Minister of Magic Kingsley Shacklebolt. In the hope that the Ministry could help locate her parents.
It is here that this story really beings…

Arthur and Percy had left straight after a very early breakfast to head off to the Ministry. Arthur to enlist the aid of Kingsley and Percy to check and see if he still had a job at the ministry. As he had given the then Minster Thicknesse his resignation during the Battle. Seeing as minister Thicknesse was a sea urchin at the time of his resignation he wasn’t quite sure if it was binding or not.

By mid-morning Arthur had sent word via his Patronus that he would be arriving home shortly from the Ministry with the Minister himself and a representative from the Australian Auror Service.

Sure enough, in short order a series of pops was heard outside the Burrow’s wards. Three men then began to approach the Burrow. Two were instantly recognisable, while the third wasn’t. Given recent events the whole family was a little nervous around new people. So, they were all (at least the ones present) very quickly up on their feet and watching with interest the approach of these men.

While their wands may not have been drawn, they were certainly within easy reach should the occasion call for it.
The third man towered over both Arthur and Kingsley, he must have been 6 and a half feet tall at least. He also had a very solid build. Despite this he carried himself with an almost fluid grace. The next most noticeable things about him was his easy smile and boisterous laugh which were both very much on display.

Indeed, the three men seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves as they made the short trip from the Apparition point to the Burrow.

Bill and Charlie were both visibly put at ease by the humorous interactions between the three men as they approached. To the point that they moved to the Kitchen table to try and ‘rescue’ some of the scones and biscuits from the ravenous attention of my youngest son Ron.

Upon their entry into the Burrow I greeted Arthur with the customary kiss and Kingsley with one of my well-known hugs. After releasing Kingsley, he turned and introduced our new guest in his customary deep voice.

“My dearest Molly, I would like to introduce to you Chief Auror Stephen Williams of the Australian Auror Service.”
“Chief Auror Williams, this lovely young lady here is Mrs Molly Weasley, Arthur’s wife. She is the best cook and one of the finest people you are every likely to meet.”

Displaying a typical Weasley / Prewett blush at Kingsley’s compliment I extended my hand to Chief Auror Williams and welcomed him into my home with a very traditional if a little flustered, “Very pleased to meet you Chief Auror Williams. Please do come in and join us for spot of morning tea”.

Chief Auror Williams responded with a smile and an enthusiastic (but gentle) handshake and replied, “G’day Mrs Weasley. Very pleased to meet you as well. Please, call me Steve, and I would love to join you for a cuppa.”

His reply had once again brought the attention of all the gathered family members. As it was obvious by his unique accent that he was most definitely not a local. His voice was deep and gravelly, it almost seemed to spill out and run across the floor.

Arthur ushered Chief Auror Williams inside and introduced him to those members of the family who were present, being Bill and his wife Fleur, Fleur’s younger sister Gabrielle (she had supposedly been worried about her older sister and was visiting for a time), Charlie, George, Ron, Hermione and Ginny.

Harry and Percy being the only ones not currently not home. Percy was at the Ministry and Harry at St Mungo’s for a check up on his various wounds.

Harry was still very reluctant to have people see the full extent of his wounds and had insisted on going alone to the hospital. Although it was generally accepted that this desire to be alone was more to escape from the minor hero worship from Fleur’s younger sister Gabrielle. As a willingness on his part to take anyone with him would have most certainly been met with an insistence on Gabrielle’s part to tag along.

Ginny in particular was not pleased with this situation, but wasn’t prepared (at this point anyway) to argue with Harry about it. Although she was not showing any hesitation in displaying her displeasure about current arrangements with Gabrielle.

The family all greeted Chief Auror Williams politely but enthusiastically as Australian’s were something of a novelty to them all (back then anyway).

Eventually the introductions made their way to Hermione. Arthur remarked, “Chief Williams this young lady is Hermione Granger. A friend of my youngest son Ron.”

“Friend?” exclaimed George. Ever the one for tact and diplomacy.

“Is that how our little Hermione is introduced these days? No wonder she hasn’t been her usual cheerful self, if Ron isn’t introducing her correctly.”

His ears turning almost the same colour as his hair Ron fixed George with a look that could have killed.

“Harry at least has stepped up and taken responsibility for our little Ginny, Ron. When are, you going to do the same?” asked George.

Both Ron and Ginny tried to respond at the same time with almost identical looks of indignation on their faces. However, Ron was the first one out with a coherent reply.

“I don’t need to take responsibility for Ginny, that’s mums and dads job.” Stated Ron. “I will also have you know that our relationship is none of your business George. We are going to tell everyone when we were ready.”

“Or when Hermione was willing to admit to it in Public, eh Ron?” came George’s reply with a smirk on his face.

Hermione just stared at George and with nothing more than a glance let him know that she would deal with him later. From the look on Ginny’s face it was plain that she agreed with Hermione.

“Prat!” replied Ginny looking now at George.

“Git!” Hermione added also looking directly at George.

“As I was saying.” Said Arthur trying to get the conversation back on track.

“Before our little interruption. This young lady is Hermione Granger. A very close friend”

“Girlfriend you mean!” interrupted George again.

“Of our son Ron. And a unofficially adopted daughter to our family”

Hermione blushed (almost as well as a Weasley) at this comment.

“She is the reason I approached Kingsley for assistance. And Kingsley reached out to you.”

“More like ran into you mean.” Replied Kingsley with a chuckle.

Seeing the looks directed to him Kingsley added “I see I need to explain that comment.”

“As usual Arthur you seem to be blessed with good timing or luck. Take your pick which one it is.”

“Chief Williams here was visiting with me to finalise arrangements for the visit of the Australian Minister of Magic.”

“Since the recent successful conclusion of our recent troubles I have been trying to re-establish our connections to the International Magic community. Many of these ties were badly strained under the previous Minster. While many more were broken.”

“Unfortunately or as the case may well turn out for us fortunately, our ties with the Australians were almost completely broken by the previous administration.”

This comment brought many surprised and a few worried looks around the room. Chief Williams however had a smile on his face. This lead to even more concerned looks.

Continuing Kingsley added, “The Australian Magical Parliament and their Minister were very vocal in their opposition to certain laws that were brought in by Minister Thicknesse. Especially the ones to do with ‘Blood purity’ and registration of Muggle-Borns.”

“As a direct result of this the High Commission of Australia in London, which houses both the Muggle and Magical Embassies was one of the first attacked. Along with the Magical Embassies for numerous other countries as well. However, the Australians seemed to have copped the brunt of the displeasure.”

“Probably something to do with the Howlers that our Minister sent to yours.” Chuckled Chief Williams.

“Howlers?” asked Kingsley. “How did they get through screening?”

“Personal letters between Ministers cannot be interfered with.” Replied Chief Williams. “Our current Minister for Magic tends to be rather plain speaking and not afraid to get direct to the point.”

“When he sees what he regards as a gross violation of international Magical Law, his rather ‘limited grasp’ of diplomacy has been known to slip, a bit. In our neck of the woods this direct approach is mostly interpreted favourably”.

“Your Minister Thicknesse, however took a different view. Although from what you were explaining earlier it was more likely this Tom Riddle Jr character who didn’t appreciate the Ministers approach.”

“Ahh… That explains a few things from our end” said Kingsley with a slight smile.

Hermione had a slightly confused look on her face at this. So being Hermione she just had to make sense of the situation.

“Excuse me Minster Kingsley. How does the previously bad relations with the Australians help us now?”

“It helps us Miss Granger, in a few ways. When the Australian Minister of Magic heard of the change in situation here he dispatched people to assess the situation on the ground. They were also to evaluate the possibility of re-establishing contact between our Governments. People like Chief Williams here. I’m sure you will agree that having direct access to a person such as Chief Williams will prove to be very beneficial to a request like yours.”

Hermione seemed to agree with this statement as she had begun to smile.

“Actually Minister we already had a team operating here during ‘your troubles’. I was on my way to a meeting with the leader of that team when I received the Ministers request to pay you a visit.”

Showing some signs of surprise and irritation Kingsley asked “How long did you have people operating here? As we were not aware of any formal request for joint operations on British soil.”

Chief Williams responded with a slightly embarrassed expression, “Nearly 18 months.”

“What!!! 18 Months!” Kingsley exclaimed. This had the effect of startling just about everyone in the room. Chief Williams must have been expecting it however as he appeared to be completely unfazed by the near explosion.

“I would certainly like to know why your Minister thinks he has the right to send people here without our knowledge for that length of time.”

Choosing his words rather carefully Chief Williams stated, “We had reported a few of our Magical Citizens going missing here. They were reported to both the Director of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement as well as direct to the Minister. Most of the missing were Muggle-Borns.”

“The response from your Ministry was to say unhelpful at best. This was before the relations turned really bad as well.”

“Then we had a whole family disappear right in the middle of London. They were known to our Minister and on friendly terms. Shortly after that a Wizarding family from New Zealand also went missing. This time one of them was a senior Ministry official in the New Zealand Magical Parliament.”

When neither we nor the Kiwi’s got, anything approaching a helpful response the decision was made to send a small highly specialised group from the Australasian Auror Service to investigate what was going on.”

While Kingsley was no longer appearing angry, it was still plain that he certainly wasn’t happy at this news.

“I’m sure your aware of the rules and requirements that need to be met before that particular group is dispatched unannounced into a country?” Chief Williams questioned.

“They were from the S.O.C?” Kingsley questioned.

“Correct.” Was the reply.

Looking almost defeated Kingsley nodded his head.

“I’m more than aware of the requirements. As I have worked with that group several times in the past. They are not sent out lightly.”

“You are right on that” said Chief Williams with a laugh.

“When their reports came in their mission was very quickly changed from one of investigation to one of extraction and rescue.”

“All nationals from countries that are signatories to the service were tracked down and contacted. If they wished to leave the country assistance was provided.”

“A short way into this mission the attacks on the Magical and Muggle Embassies began. The teams operating here at the time were utilised to extract the diplomatic personal and their families from numerous embassies also.”

“International relations would be in a much direr state right now if not for that Team of Aurors” Chief Williams explained.

An almost stunned silence greeted this news.

Kingsley was in a thoughtful silence for quite a while before he spoke again, “Do you know which countries embassies they assisted?”

“Every member country of the service was assisted. That would equate to just about every country that borders the South Pacific. In addition to that I’m aware of their direct involvement in assisting the embassies of the Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Mexican, Indian, French, German, Swiss, Spanish, Italian and Turkish governments.”

“I have also seen reports which showed that many other countries made use of the ‘pipelines’ that they setup to get their own people out. Those pipelines all ran through France where this team had its forward operating bases.”

“Several European governments also provided assistance or support staff and occasionally Aurors to assist in the processing and support of the people who were brought out of the UK.”

“The other governments were reluctant to send Aurors into the UK for fear of violating various treaties with the UK government. But I have ‘unofficially’ heard that there were several Aurors from the French and German Auror Services ‘on vacation’ in the UK conveniently when particularly large raids or extractions were scheduled to take place.” Chief Williams said with a sly smile.

This news seemed to both worry and calm Kingsley at the same time. He seemed to take a few moments to process all that information.

“Please ensure that I pass along my own thanks and that of my Government to both your Minister and the New Zealand Minister of Magic when I meet them.”

“I will also need to get messages of thanks to the other Magical Governments that lent assistance, either officially or unofficially as well.”

“I had wondered why there were so few missing and casualties amongst the various foreign diplomatic Missions here. Now I know. Now I know.”

“Did these teams assist the staff of just the diplomatic missions?”

“Based on the information I have seen I believe that they assisted anyone connected to the embassies, both staff and their families that they could safely contact. As well as a good number of those that couldn’t be safely contacted.”

“I would like to meet them if it is possible. Could that be arranged?” asked Kingsley.

“I have no authority over the Aurors from that team Minister. As they officially report directly to the current serving Australian Minister of Magic. However, I’m sure it could be arranged Minister once I pass your request along.”

Kingsley nodded his thanks and turned his attention back to Hermione once more.

“Please forgive the detour in our conversation Hermione. But it has now filled in a great many blanks for quite a lot of things that have happened here recently.”

“Going back to my earlier comments Hermione. Another benefit we got out of the poor relations between our countries was that the Australians had placed a very close watch on ANYONE, Muggle or Magical traveling from the UK to Australia.”

Hermione was now beginning to smile as she began to understand what Minister Kingsley was getting at.

“Chief Williams, Miss Granger here was one of the three main individuals who lead the fight against Tom Riddle Jr.”
“Because of this she took certain, shall we say steps, to ensure the safety of her parents.”

“These steps apparently involved altering her Parents memories. To both remove any knowledge of their daughter as well as convincing them that their names were also different.”

“On top of this she instilled in them a deep desire to move to Australia to live.”

“Impressive determination there young lady, to protect your parents. However, I do see a few potential problems with this scenario. But please continue as I get the feeling that there is more to this story.” Replied Chief Williams.

“Yes sir”, replied Hermione looking suddenly a little worried.

“I would like to try and find my parents Chief Williams so that I can try to remove the memory charms I placed on them. The problem is I don’t know where in Australia that they might be living. I’m also worried that the memory charms might be starting to fail as we never intended for things to go on this long.”

“Can you help me Chief Williams?” Hermione almost pleaded.

Chief Williams fixed Hermione with a rather penetrating look for several moments before answering.

“Before I answer your question I would like to ask some of my own if you don’t mind. Is that ok?”

“Certainly” came the reply.

Chief Williams took out what looked like a pile of flimsy parchment that was bound together and a shiny metal rod that he clicked the end of and began to write on the pad.

Noticing the questioning looks he said, “My daughters recently convinced me that muggle pens” he held up the metal rod “and notepads” he held up the pad “are more practical than quills for quick note taking when in the field.”

“So Miss Granger let us begin, shall we?” He asked looking over at Hermione who nodded.

“Do you know the names that your parents are going to be living under in Australia?” he asked.

“Yes I do. They will be calling themselves Wendell and Monica Wilkins”

“That’s is a good start.” He said as he began taking notes.

“Did you change your parents’ appearance in anyway? Do you have any RECENT photographs of them in the state that they were in when they travelled to Australia?” he questioned.

“I didn’t alter their appearance sir. I didn’t want to cause them any unnecessary distress.” Hermione replied.

“You mean apart from taking away their most important memories from them? I do hope you at least spoke with them about what you were going to do before you went through with this plan?”

Hermione was beginning to look a little worried after these latest questions. She replied,

“No sir I did not discuss this with the beforehand. I wish I did but we had no idea how much time we had before the death eaters were going to be coming for us.” She almost sobbed.

“I don’t mean to cause you any extra distress Miss Granger, but these questions are indeed necessary.” He explained kindly.

“I understand sir”

“As I asked earlier do you have any recent photos of your parents that could be used to help identify them?”

“Yes sir I do. I took some just 2 weeks before they left.”

“Excellent news. Can you also provide a written description of your parents including their particulars such as Height, Weight, Age distinguishing marks etc...” He enquired.

“Yes I can and will.”

“How long ago was this memory charm applied to your parents? And how specific is it?” Chief Williams asked with a concerned look.

“It would be close to 10 Months ago.” Hermione replied in a small voice.

“10 Months? Are you sure of that Miss Granger?” Questioned Chief Williams.

“Yes” She answered looking very uncomfortable.

“Are you aware then that memory charms which have been applied that long have a good chance of permanently altering a person’s memory. Even once the correct counter charm has been applied?”

“Yes I am sir”

“Very well” he replied.

“Can you tell me how specific the charm was?” He enquired.

“Excuse me Sir but what do you mean by ‘how specific’?”

“I mean can it be reversed by anyone who knows that counter charm? Or must it be done by a specific person?”

“The counter charm will require me to cast it sir. I chose this option so that if we didn’t make it out alive my parents wouldn’t have to be reminded of their lost daughter.” She explained in a broken voice.

At this Hermione broke down in tears and Ron moved to comfort her.

He fixed Chief Williams with a rather angry glare and exclaimed rather angrily “Are you finished with your questions yet? Or do you want to try and cause her some more grief?”

With a rather neutral expression on his face Chief Williams moved his focus from Hermione to Ron. “It was not my intention to cause grief to anyone. These questions are necessary to establish if we will have enough information to use for a search and the likely state the subjects maybe in when they are located.”

“To answer your question however. Yes, I am done with my questions. At this point in time. I do believe that we have enough information to go on for now.”

Looking at Hermione with a much more sympathetic expression Chief Williams continued. “Miss Granger. In response to your earlier question. Yes. I do believe that we can be of assistance to you in your search for your parents. Provided you can supply the information you indicated.”

Hermione was elated. And was now happily hugging Ron followed by a rather surprised Chief Williams.

“Let’s see if I can contact one of our Aurors who has a bit of a reputation as a ‘miracle worker’ and check if he is available.” Chief Williams said with a small smile.

“He is currently assigned to duties outside of our service but I should be able to borrow him for a short while.”

Chief Williams began to pat himself down as he checked his pockets while mumbling something that sounded like ‘new-fangled devices’.

Eventually he pulled out what looked like a pocket mirror. It was slightly thicker than a mirror would need to be and appeared to have a metal back that partially wrapped up and over the mirror slightly to protect the edges.

Noticing everyone’s questioning looks Chief Williams explained. “This is a new device recently issued by our technical division as a more secure and reliable form of communication. Faster than Owls (or other birds) and unlike a Patronus it allows two way communication.”

I noticed that Kingsley seemed particularly interested in the device. However, it was Hermione who asked the first question.

“Do you mean that it is like a Muggle Mobile Phone?” She asked.

“That is a very good comparison Miss Granger. A very good one indeed.”

Ginny quickly asked, “What’s a Mobile Fone?”

“If I can remember how to use this thing I will show you young lady.” Was his response.

“The younger Aurors in our department have taken to these devices very happily. We older members in the service are still catching up.” He remarked ruefully.

At this point Chief Williams began pressing several of the squares that appeared on his mirror. This was soon followed by a strange chirping noise that was coming from the device itself.

There was a click and a rather deep sounding voice spoke up saying “Syd.”

To the best of my knowledge that was the first time I ever heard the voice of the young man who would change my family’s life for ever.

Reviews 19
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear