Search:

SIYE Time:9:37 on 16th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Trouble with Family
By BigIve

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Nymphadora Tonks, Other, Ron Weasley
Genres: Action/Adventure, General, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Death, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Spouse/Adult/Child Abuse, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 19
Summary: It is after the Battle and the search for Hermione's parents uncovers some unexpected branches on a previously well known family tree.

Canon Relationships.

Some Mature/Adult Themes and Language.
Hitcount: Story Total: 51946; Chapter Total: 1136







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


After a very entertaining morning in which we got to witness George’s ‘gift’ to Dave, along with Dave’s reply we made ready to make our way to Paris. For a shopping trip that I was honestly rather looking forward to. Gabrielle for her part was almost dancing around the lounge area of Dave’s tent while we waited for him to get changed.

It wasn’t a long wait for him, but it was very entertaining to watch Gabrielle. When Dave emerged in jeans, a casual white shirt and boots her eyes lit up in approval. She quickly crossed to him and gave him a full kiss and a hug. They were both smiling with genuine warmth when they broke their kiss.

“Are you all ready?” Dave asked us.

“Oui.” Was the replied from three rather excited ladies who were eager to do some shopping.

“Ok then.” Dave replied with a smile, “I’m going to open a door to an apartment that we have in leased in Paris. It is close to both the wizarding shops as well as the muggle fashion shops as well.”

“As you step into the apartment you will immediately feel the wards on it start to affect you. It will be a pressure just behind your eyes, so please don’t panic when you feel it.” He instructed in a serious voice.

“So I will need you to step through one at a time. When you step into the apartment I will offer you my hand and say ‘Welcome’, you will need to answer simply ‘Merci’. That will be enough to have you added to these wards so you will be safe in the apartment.” He said checking to see that we all understood.

Once we all indicated that we did, he opened the door to a gorgeous looking apartment that looked rather familiar. Maman was the first one through and was welcomed into it. When I stepped into the apartment I could immediately feel the effect of the wards that he mentioned. Once Dave welcomed me in though the pressure he described was gone instantly.

For her part once Gabrielle stepped into the apartment and was welcomed she immediately placed her arms around Dave’s neck and kissed him again.

“You only needed to shake ‘is ‘and.” I told her with a smirk on my face. I was rewarded with a brilliant smile that I just had to return, her smile then changed into a rather cheeky smile followed by a smug reply of “I know”.

While Dave had been greeting us Maman was walking around the apartment with a strange look on her face.

“Can you tell me ‘ow you came to lease zis apartment?” She asked Dave.

“We got it through the company that we leased the land from where we have setup our various safe houses. They own this and several other apartments both in Paris and in several other cities around France.” Dave explained.

“We use the apartments to offer a more secluded getaway for both our staff as well as ‘guests’ who either need some quiet time or just need to get away from the safe houses for one reason or another.” Dave said with a strange little smile on his face, “This one is my favourite in Paris and I have spent quite a few weekends here when I have needed some place quiet and relaxing to enable me to plough through the never-ending amounts of paperwork that this operation seems to attract”

“I see.” Maman replied with a strange little smile on her face.

“Is there something wrong?” Dave asked with a degree of concern.

“Non.” Maman replied, “I just found it amusing how small a world it apparently is.” She said now openly smiling at Dave.

“Small world?” He asked with a look of puzzlement on his face.

“This apartment belongs to my Julien’s company.” She said smiling, “We have stayed here many times over the years. When the girls were born we also had many family holidays here as well.” She said with a grin.

“I see.” Dave answered also smiling, “It is indeed a small world.”

“Your husband’s company has been a joy to work with.” Dave answered with a serious tone, “They have been very accommodating and extremely supportive of our goals here in Europe. I will need to pass my thanks along to him when we get back.” Dave said with a smile.

“Shall we begin?” Dave asked with an eager smile.

“Sûrement.” Maman replied as we all headed for the door. Dave opened the door and held it open while we all went out and then closed it behind him. I did notice that he very quickly had Gabrielle’s hand in his as we made the short trip out to the street. They were both displaying very contented smiles.

Once we were on the street Maman quickly had her bearings and was heading off towards a tailors that she had known for many years. The moment we entered the shop the owner was greeting Maman warmly.

“Ah… Madame Delacour, c'est merveilleux de vous revoir.”

“Merci, Monsieur Vaillancourt” Maman replied as she hugged him warmly and exchanged kisses. Gabrielle and I were quickly introduced also and were warmly greeted as well.

“Si cela vous plaît, pouvons-nous parler en anglais?” Maman enquired.

“Oui.” Monsieur Vaillancourt answered his eyes full of curiosity.

“Merci.” Maman answered gratefully, “Killian I would like to introduce you to Auror David Webb of the Australasian Auror Service.” Maman said as she stepped aside to allow Killian to see Dave clearly.

Killian’s eyes widened as he took in the large form that was Dave. In the short time we had known him we had all gotten used to his size rather quickly. It was (and still is) enjoyable to watch other people’s reactions to meeting him for the first time.

“Dave, I would like to introduce you to one of my oldest friends Killian Vaillancourt. He is one of the finest tailors in Paris if not the world.” Maman said with a smile.

“It is a pleasure and an honour to meet you Monsieur Vaillancourt.” Dave said with a smile as he stepped forward with his hand out to greet Killian.

“Merci Monsieur Webb, or should I say Auror Webb?” Killian replied.

“Just Dave is fine.” Dave replied with a slightly embarrassed smile.

“Merci Dave. The honour is mine.” Killian replied taking Dave’s hand and shaking it warmly, “Any friend of Apolline’s is a friend of mine.” He said with a smile.

“Thanks.” Dave answered.

“Killian, we find ourselves in urgent need of your services.” Maman explained, “Dave is in need of a suit for his Les Grand-mères 90th Birthday party that is coming up very soon.”

“He tells us she wasn’t overly pleased with his attire last year and wished for him to have something more suitable for this years celebrations. She specifically requested him to get a suit from Paris.”

“So after his previous effort had a few ‘issues’ I offered to assist him to find something appropriate. Naturally you were our first stop.” Maman said with a smile.

“Do you think you can help us?” She asked.

“Absolument!” Killian replied enthusiastically, “I love a challenge.” He said with a grin.

“If you would please step this way Dave, I will be happy to take your measurements and then show you a selection of styles and materials and then once we have something selected I can begin to work my magic.” He said happily.

Dave moved to step onto the tailors platform but Killian quickly stepped in and stated with a smile, “I zink zat I will need zat to stand on.”

With a sheepish look Dave stepped back onto the floor and stood there a little self-consciously while Killian surveyed his ‘challenge’ and Gabrielle just enjoyed the view. When Dave noticed her rather frank gaze at him he blushed and gave her a rather shy smile that she happily returned.

Killian soon stepped in with his assistant and busied himself taking numerous measurements. After the measurements were done he dispatched his assistant and got him to bring back a selection of suits that were surprisingly in Dave’s size or close to it.

“Zese are to give you an idea of ze feel of the different styles so we can find what fits you most comfortably.” He explained to Dave, “Ze young ladies will ‘elp advise you on what looks best on you.” He said with a cheeky smile to Gabrielle.

Having 6 sisters growing up must have prepared Dave for the rigours of fashion shopping. As he endured the next two hours with more good grace than just about any other males that I have known. Gabrielle was thoroughly enjoying herself as she got to play ‘dress ups’ with Dave.

Eventually a three piece style of suit was selected, with a single breasted jacket to go with it. The choice of colour was the next stumbling block. Black being the colour that was eventually selected, it was felt that Dave’s Midnight hair would go best with that. Once the colour was selected shirts were the next to be sorted, to give Dave some options a selection of white and black shirts were selected.

Gabrielle was instrumental in selecting the ties that she felt would suit Dave best. I did notice that blue seemed to feature predominately in her choices. Next were the belts and shoes. Dave ended up being very particular about his shoes, as his favourite footwear (when he actually wears some) is his Dragon hide boots. He explained this as they offered a great place to conceal spare wands, he didn’t have to worry about shoe laces coming undone during chases or getting caught on things as well.

The special soles he had on them also gave almost the same type of cushioning and grip as trainers. Killian had in stock a few pair of boots very similar to what Dave described. These were presented to Dave and he selected a pair that he felt comfortable in and that Gabrielle approved of. Either Emma (or his sisters) had trained him well or he was a fast learner, for he seemed to truly appreciate Gabrielle’s input into his selections.

The suit that was selected was quickly taken away and had some alterations done to it. When it was brought back out Dave had to once more head into the change rooms. When he came out in the nearly finished suit I could see the appreciative look on Gabrielle’s face. Dave was paying attention to Killian and so completely missed it. Otherwise I’m sure he would have been blushing rather well.

Killian quickly pinned in a few final changes before he got Dave to turn on the spot to show off the result. We all approved of it. This time Dave did notice the looks he was getting from Gabrielle and did indeed blush, but he smiled more. As he headed back into the change room he was once more deep in discussion with Killian.

When he emerged from the change room Killian promised to have the suit ready for collection by mid-afternoon. We thanked him for his efforts and headed out into the street again. This time the mission was something ‘special’ for Gabrielle.

Like any girl Gabrielle has her preference in fashion styles, she also had her favourite shops as well. We quickly found ourselves in one of her favourite shops as Dave politely followed us around and pretended to understand what Gabrielle was describing to him about the different dresses. I did notice him look to me a few times with a very confused look on his face as he clearly had no idea what she was talking about.

When Gabrielle and Maman disappeared into one of the change rooms Dave came over and almost pleaded, “Are you able to translate that for me?” he asked hopefully.

“Didn’t Emma ever explain dresses to you?” I asked him amused at his reactions.

“She wasn’t a big one for dressing up.” Dave explained, “When the occasion required it she certainly enjoyed it, but it wasn’t a passion with her.”

“When she needed any sort of formal type outfit she would head off with her sisters and mum, usually with some of my sisters in tow as well. I was never allowed on those shopping trips.” He said with a smile, “I think it was because she liked to surprise me with what she found.”

“I see.” I answered with a grin, “Well we will need to start you off with the basics then won’t we.” I informed him while trying not to laugh.

I took Dave around the shop and explained the basics of the different styles, and types of dresses, along with some of the materials that were used. He was concentrating so hard I almost expected him to take notes on what I was telling him. Eventually Maman called me over to the change room to view what Gabrielle was wearing. Dave made to follow but was told quite firmly to stay put. This must have been rather familiar to him as he smiled at Maman’s expression and stayed where he was.

When I got to the change room and saw what Gabrielle had selected I could only approve. It was a gorgeous dress in Royal Blue, sleeveless but with a single strap over one shoulder. The shape of the dress was an A-Line but it also had layers to it of varying lengths. It was also shaped VERY well to Gabrielle’s figure.

“What do you zink” She asked me hopefully.

“I zink zat Dave will be stunned and will not be able to take his eyes off of you.” I told her with a smile.

Gabrielle smiled brilliantly at the same time she was fighting back a blush.

“Are you going to show it to ‘im?” I asked her.

“Non. I zink I want to surprise ‘im wiz it.” She replied with a sly smile.

“Well ‘e is used to zat.” I told her with a laugh.

“Pardon?” Maman asked me.

“Dave was explaining to me ‘ow Emma never allowed him on her shopping trips for formal wear as she liked to surprise him with her finds.” I explained. This brought a smile to Maman and Gabrielle.

“So I should get this one?” She asked hopefully.

“Definitely.” I replied confidently.

Gabrielle beamed at me and Maman also expressed her approval of the dress as well. I left the two of them and headed back to Dave.

“She wants to surprise me with it. Doesn’t she?” He said with a knowing smile.

“Oui.” I answered and we shared a laugh about it. I continued educating Dave about the different dresses as we waited for Gabrielle and Maman to emerge.

When they did we headed over to the counter to pay for Gabrielle’s selection.

“It has already been taken care of Mademoiselle.” The rather envious young lady at the counter told Gabrielle.

“Pardon?” She enquired of her.

“The rather tall young man behind you has already paid for it.” The lady at the counter informed her.

Gabrielle turned to Dave with a questioning look on her face, “I thought that someone who is brave enough to try and teach me to dance is deserving of some sort of reward.” Dave replied with a sheepish grin on his face.

“As well as a pair of stylish shoes with steel caps in them.” He added with a laugh.

“Merci beaucoup.” Gabrielle exclaimed as she launched herself into Dave’s arms and kissed him deeply. Maman and I could only smile approvingly at this. Fireball was right, Dave did occasionally get ‘it’ right when it came to women.

“So where do we need to head off to in order to find you a suitable pair of shoes then?” Dave asked with a smile while he still had his arms wrapped around Gabrielle.

“I know just where to go.” I told them both as I led them and Maman from the store to one of my favourite places in Paris.

It was a short walk to the shop that I had in mind. It was a muggle store but close to the wizarding shopping area of Paris. When we got inside I enjoyed watching Gabrielle trying to select some shoes for her dress while trying to keep Dave from seeing what either her dress or shoes were. Dave seemed very happy to allow her this secret.

When she appeared to have selected the shoes she wanted I noticed Dave quickly appear over at the store counter. He was talking to a very amused store owner who approved of him trying to surprise Gabrielle by paying for her shoes without her noticing. The store owner quickly requited one of her sales assistants who then confirmed that Gabrielle had indeed made her selection and reported back on the price of the shoes. Dave then happily paid the bill and kept the receipt to give to Gabrielle. He did however completely miss the very warm and appreciative looks he was getting from both the store owner and her sales assistant.

Gabrielle was once again very pleased and appreciative of Dave’s efforts and she thanked him thoroughly in the store. The owner and the sales assistant also seemed to find this amusing as well.

Once Gabrielle’s outfit was complete the next item on the agenda was to organise was lunch. I asked for suggestions and many were forth coming from both Gabrielle and Maman. Dave however was silent.

“Why so silent Dave?” I asked him.

“I can’t offer any suggestions on a good place to eat here, so I was just listening to all of yours.” He replied.

“Why don’t you ‘ave any suggestions?” Gabrielle asked him.

“When I’m here I’m using working or just passing through, so I don’t usually have a lot of time to explore.” Dave answered.

“Ah… I see.” Maman answered with a twinkle in her eye, “So you have never really seen Paris zen?” She asked.

“No. Not properly.” Was Dave’s slightly embarrassed reply.

“Well zen, we will need to fix zat won’t we girls.” Maman answered, “I know just ze place.” She said with a smile. She then quickly whispered to me what she had in mind. I approved. Maman then apparated with Gabrielle and I did the same with Dave.

We arrived at the safe apparition point near the Louvre, I could immediately see that Gabrielle approved of the location. Dave seemed very interested in the location as well. Although he did seem to be getting more enjoyment from the smile that was on Gabrielle’s face than his surroundings. I found myself approving of that also.

We quickly found seats in the cafe that Maman had in mind. She and Gabrielle went off to have a look at the displays to see what was on offer and I had a quick chat with one of the waiters to ask for some water and menus. When I turned around I noticed that Dave wasn’t at our table. This concerned me for a moment, I quickly looked around to see if I could spot him.

I eventually noticed him talking to a family that were seated not far from where we were. Curious I walked over to hear what was being said. What I learnt upset me a little, as it turned out that the people that Dave was speaking to had just recently been robbed. They had lost all of their money as well as their daughter’s prized antique doll.

The look on Dave’s face clearly told me what he thought of the situation, but I could also see an intense focus in it as well.

“Can you describe them?” I heard him ask.

“No I can’t. I’m sorry it was all over so quickly.” The man replied clearly still shaken up.

“Can you show me your memory of the event?” Dave asked him.

“How?” The man asked him.

“Hold my hand, then think back on the incident. While thinking of the incident kind of push your thoughts over to me.” Dave instructed.

“I’ll… I’ll try.” The man said shakenly. He then held onto Dave’s hand and concentrated for a few moments. Dave also closed his eyes and concentrated.

When Dave eventually opened his eyes my heart almost skipped a beat. His eyes had an intense fire in them along with an equally intense resolve. I could see the young man looking almost embarrassed.

“You have nothing to be ashamed of.” Dave answered him, “We all have different talents. This just happened to be a situation that was outside of yours.” He explained to him.

“The most important thing is that you got your family out of that situation without any serious injuries.” He said while giving the man a very direct look.

“Now, I want you to wait here and DO NOT LEAVE until I get back. Ok?” He almost ordered.

“Ok.” The man agreed with him.

“Good answer.” Dave said with a smile, “I’m sitting at that table over there.” He indicated the table where our things were.

“If you see the lovely young ladies that I was with earlier come back to that Table looking for me please tell them that I will be back very shortly.” He requested.

When the young man agreed Dave quickly headed off out of the café and towards the gardens that were nearby. After Dave left the young man and woman held each other and were obviously struggling to hold back tears, while their daughter still seemed too stunned to comprehend what had obviously happened.

I walked back to our table and sat down and looked over to where the young family was sitting. The young man saw me looking over at them and came over.

“Excusez-moi.” He said nervously, “But the rather tall gentleman who was sitting here earlier asked me to let you know that he has just stepped out for a moment and will soon be back.”

“Merci.” I answered politely, “Do you know why he has stepped out?” I asked.

At this the young man’s embarrassment became painfully obvious.

“We were just robbed.” He explained, “I brought my family in here to try and find somewhere safe for them to try and calm down. As both my wife and daughter were rather shaken by the experience.”

“When we came in your friend noticed this and introduced himself as an Auror and asked what had happened.”

“When I told him he got a little upset. He then asked us to stay here until he got back. He also wanted me to let the people that he was with know that he would be back shortly.” He said on the verge of tears as he turned to go back to his seat.

I was a little shocked and unsure as to what to say to him. As I was trying to think of a response Maman and Gabrielle returned.

“Where is Dave?” Gabrielle asked me.

“He has stepped out for a moment.” I replied still distracted in my thoughts.

“Why?” she wanted to know.

“Zat young family over there was just robbed.” I answered, “I zink Dave has gone after ze people zat did it.”

Both Gabrielle and Maman seemed a little worried by this. Before they could reply however Dave returned to the café. He was carrying a woman’s purse, a man’s wallet and carrying parts of a rather old looking doll.

The young man and his wife were very happy to have their belongings back, they were however very upset at the state of their daughter’s doll.

Dave spoke to their daughter for a few moments, he seemed to be asking her about the doll. Then when he had the answers he was looking for he began to repair it. The look on the girls face as her doll was restored before her eyes was a truly delightful sight. I got the feeling that Dave not only fixed the doll back to what it was before the incident but fully restored it as well.

The girl’s parents had looks of wonder and delight on their faces as well. But the little girl and Dave outshone them both. When he returned the doll to the little girl she flung her arms around him and was crying tears of joy. This seemed to greatly embarrass Dave but he returned the little girl’s hug. He passed her back to her very grateful parents and was rewarded with hugs and kisses from them both as well. I had to laugh at his reaction as he clearly wasn’t used to this sort of response from people he didn’t know.

I turned to back to Maman and Gabrielle and could only smile at the expression of adoration that was on Gabrielle’s face as she watched Dave. Maman had noticed it also and she was happily smiling, both at Dave and Gabrielle.

When Dave stood up to return to our table he saw the three of us smiling back at him. This seemed to stop him in his tracks for a few moments.

“You… You ah saw that. Did you?” He said nervously while blushing.

“Oui.” I answered him. While Gabrielle got up out of her seat and gave Dave a very solid set of kisses and hugs. I could see several other people in the café smile approvingly at the two of them as well. I’m guessing that they had also seen what Dave had just done for that young family as well.

Gabrielle brought Dave back to our table and happily sat down next to him. All the while beaming at him whenever he chanced a glance at her (which was rather often). Each time she smiled at him like that Dave’s cheeks and neck would blush slightly.

“What did you do to ze people zat robbed zat family?” I asked Dave.

“Nothing permanent.” Dave replied evasively, with a slightly guilty look about him.

Borrowing a tactic I noticed his mother use yesterday I kept my eyes on him and assumed a disbelieving expression. To my surprise it did seem to work rather well on him. I decided to file that bit of information away for later use.

“They have been ‘secured’ until I can work out a suitable way to dispose of them.” Dave eventually explained, “I will need to discuss a few things with Jean-Luc first though.” He added with a smirk.

“Why Jean-Luc?” I asked him.

“I have no powers of arrest over here in France.” Dave explained, “When we work in other countries we always work alongside the local law enforcement bodies.”

“The exceptions being when we have a ‘directive’ from all our member countries as was the case when we were first sent to the UK.”

“As the French Magical Parliament allowed us to stage our forward bases here, for our operation in the UK we agreed to not carry out any operations on their soil without their knowledge and support. So to do anything ‘official’ to those I dealt with earlier I will need to engage with Jean-Luc as our official liaison.” Dave said a little frustrated.

“It sounds a little complicated.” I said to him with an encouraging smile.

“True. It is.” He agreed, “But the alternative would be a bit like anarchy.” He remarked.

“What I would really like to see setup, would be something like the muggle Interpol service. A truly worldwide law enforcement body to chase scumbags where ever they run to.” He said with a light coming into his eyes.

“Criminals and Dark Wizards don’t respect International Borders, so until we can pursue them with the same level of flexibility we will always be a step behind.” He remarked.

“Zat sounds like an ambitious goal.” Maman replied thoughtfully.

“It is, and it won’t be easy to achieve. But worthwhile endeavours are never are.” He replied, “It took nearly 10 years just to get our own Australasian Auror Service started in our own region. That was back in 1911.”

“Even then it was really only us and the Kiwi’s for the first few years. Slowly the other nations of in our region saw the use of it along with the success being achieved and asked to join.”

“It is an organisation that I’m very proud to serve in.” He said with a smile.

“We are certainly very happy that you are a member of it Dave.” I told him, “And that you are over here so we could get a chance to meet you.” I said with a smile and a glance at Gabrielle.

Blushing a little Dave replied, “Thank you.”

“That is more than enough talk about both me and work for now.” Dave said with a shy smile, “Can you tell me some more about your adventures in Paris over the years?” He asked.

“Certainly.” Maman replied, “We can tell you about ze time zat Gabrielle fell into the fountains at ze Jardins du Trocadéro.” She said with a smile and a glint in her eyes.

Gabrielle had gone bright red and was trying to hide her face behind her hands. Displaying a wonderful smile Dave reached out and grabbed Gabrielle’s closest hand and gave it a comforting squeeze.

“Please do.” He answered, “She has heard far more embarrassing stories about me than I have of her. So it only seems fair to me.” He said with a wonderfully warm smile for Gabrielle.

“Agreed.” Maman answered.

With that we spent lunch happily telling stories about Gabrielle as she was growing up. There were many stories about silly things she had done or had said. Stories about trials and triumphs that she had had as well.

Dave seemed to genuinely enjoy all of the stories. He would frequently allow Gabrielle to try and hide her blushing by snuggling into his shoulders. Followed by kisses of encouragement when she once again emerged. It was lovely to watch them together like this.

After one particularly amusing story about a holiday adventure Maman asked Dave if he would like to see a photo of the incident. As it showed Gabrielle not long after she had learnt to walk. Dave of course was very eager to see it, while Gabrielle was horrified. Once Dave saw the photo though, his face broke out into such a brilliant smile with such tenderness it almost caused Gabrielle to stop blushing. At least until he directed that smile at her, that is.

“Do I get to see your baby photos?” Gabrielle asked a little cheekily.

I could see a very brief shadow pass across Dave’s face at this comment and was sure that the others had noticed it as well. Gabrielle reached for Dave’s hand and gave it a squeeze of encouragement. After a moment or two Dave’s smile returned and he replied.

“I’m very sure that you will indeed get to see them. In all probability, you will see more of them than you wish to.” He said with a small chuckle, “As both Grandma Webb and Great Grandma Vogt have their favourite ones of us kids that they love to show around.”

“They keep them properly secured so that us kids can’t find them and stop others from seeing them.” He explained, “Mine especially.” He added.

Giving Dave a reassuring hug and a kiss Gabrielle asked, “Why is that?”

“I’m told it’s because I was an apparently amusing looking little baby.” He said with a crooked smile.

“Amusing in what way?” I just had to ask. Going from the look on Gabrielle’s face I had just asked the very question that she so desperately wanted to.

“IF, my family is to be believed it’s because for quite a while I apparently looked like I had a Mohawk haircut. Along with ears that stuck out like a Volkswagen Beetle with its doors open.” He said with a faraway look as though recalling an old memory.

Gabrielle however was trying very hard to contain the smile that wanted to escape onto her face. I think Dave sensed this battle and was directing his own amused look at her as he watched her efforts.

“You’re picturing it right now aren’t you?” Dave asked clearly amused.

“Non.” Gabrielle answered as she lost her battle to keep a straight face.

“Don’t worry.” Dave answered with a half smile, “Emma had a similar reaction when she first heard about them.”

“When she saw them she almost did herself an injury from laughing at them so much.” Dave said with a smile, “The funny part was, she was in most of them. So I got to see how goofy she looked at that age also.”

We all had a good laugh at this statement.

“I promise, I won’t laugh.” Gabrielle said with an unnaturally straight face.

“Don’t make promises that you know you can’t keep.” Dave said with his own laugh and a kiss for Gabrielle. “Not even mum can keep from laughing at them.” He added while smiling at Gabrielle.

Shortly after this we finished our lunch and decided to go for a walk through the Jardin des Tuileries as they were just on the other side of the road.

It was while we were walking through these wonderful gardens that we encountered a reminder of Dave’s earlier visit to Paris. This reminder came in the form of three Magical Police Women who were walking through the gardens in the opposite direction. As they got closer I noticed them paying more attention to Dave than anyone else in the gardens. Dave had also noticed their scrutiny of him. He seemed to recognise them and almost looked like he was bracing for the encounter.

Gabrielle also looked like she had picked up on the attention that these women were paying to Dave. She quickly positioned herself with her arm around Dave’s waist and gave him a good squeeze (which he returned). The look she directed to the approaching Police woman also clearly indicated her involvement with Dave.

“Monsieur Webb.” The senior Police Woman said as she tipped her hat to Dave, “Or should I say Auror Webb.” She added with a smile.

“Brigadier-chef Leblanc.” Dave said as he returned the greeting, “Either is fine with me. I’m off duty today.” He said with his crooked smile on display. I did notice its effect on the other Police Women, as did Gabrielle. Dave however didn’t. Not even slightly.

“You are a brave man, Monsieur. After your last visit here, I thought that you wouldn’t be back for quite some time.” She said with a knowing smirk on her face.

“Ah yes… Well I hadn’t planned on returning to Paris so soon.” Dave answered with a slight blush showing, “But I was graciously offered some chaperones who are much better versed in French culture than my ‘dear sister’ is.” Dave answered to some giggles from the Police Woman and smiles from all of us.

“May I introduce to you, Apolline Delacour.” Dave said warmly, “And her daughters Fleur Weasley and Gabrielle Delacour.” Dave said indicating each of us in turn.

“Ladies, may I introduce to you Brigadier-chef Yvonne Leblanc of the French Metro Magical Police and her team members Gardien de la paix Stéphanie Pierrat and Christiane D'Aboville.” He said as he indicated each of the ladies.

We greeted them warmly, except for Gabrielle who was a little cool in her greeting of them. No doubt because of the very frank looks of approval that the two younger Police Women were giving Dave.

“These ladies came to my ‘assistance’ back in March when I had my little mishap here.” Dave said ruefully.

At this comment, all three of the Police Women had to laugh, “It was certainly a memorable incident.” Brigadier-chef Leblanc remarked.

“For all the wrong reasons.” Dave said a little shame faced. I couldn’t contain a smile at the memory of hearing about the incident. Neither could Maman or Gabrielle.

“I see zat your friends know of what happened.” Brigadier-chef Leblanc said more than a little amused.

“Yes, there was a conspiracy in the French Auror Office to ensure that several of my other sisters heard about the incident. They of course ensured that my mother found out about it.” Dave remarked, “What I didn’t expect was that my mother would conduct a public ‘de-briefing’ of the event.”

At this comment, all three of us had to laugh. After a moment of shock the three Police Women joined in. Dave meanwhile was trying his best not to blush. But he was regarding us all with some resignation of his fate.

“I should tell you Auror Webb zat ze store in question would like to see you again.” Brigadier-chef Leblanc said with a twinkle in her eye.

“Why would they want to see me again after an episode like that?” Dave asked.

“Zey still have ze robes zat zey tailored for you. Apparently you had paid for zem but never collected zem when you made your escape.” She replied.

“I’m not sure I can go back there, especially if those same saleswomen are on duty.” Dave said with his ears just starting to glow a little.

“Don’t worry Dave.” Gabrielle replied with an evil looking grin on her face, “I will protect you from zose saleswomen.” She managed to get out before she began to laugh.

Dave seemed to appreciate her offer as he smiled at her and drew her in for a kiss. “Merci” he said when they separated. Gabrielle had a smug little smile after that and she directed it at the two Police Women who were still making eyes at Dave (he still hadn’t noticed either). Brigadier-chef Leblanc also had a smile on her face at the scene in front of her.

“Auror Webb, I would also like to say zat in ze course of writing up ze report on your incident, I learnt precisely what it was that you and your team have been up to while you have been here.” She said in her professional voice, “I would like to zank you personally and sincerely with all of my heart for the efforts of you and your team.” She said very warmly and with a smile on her face.

Dave was looking at her very curiously, obviously wondering what this was leading up to.

“My Parents and my Mères Parents were some of the people that your team rescued from a ‘holding facility’ that was bring run by ze Death Eaters.” She said with moist eyes.

“I had feared that they were lost to us when we lost contact with them during their holiday. But during writing the report on you I came into contact with Auror Jean-Luc Devereaux. He explained to me just what your team had been doing.”

“I told him about my missing family and he organised a search of the records and found them for me. Your team had rescued them just before you left the country chasing down a group of missing children apparently.” She said as she was now fighting back the unshed tears in her eyes.

“I thank you for your thanks, Brigadier-chef Leblanc.” Dave answered her warmly, “Some of your thanks should also go to Jean-Luc as well. For he and a few of his friends were on ‘vacation’ in the UK when that particular raid was done. We also had some vacationing Aurors from Germany, Italy and Poland with us as well.” Dave added with his half smile.

“I will ensure to pass your thanks onto them all as well.” Dave said meeting her gaze, “While we do not expect thanks for doing our job, it is always very heart-warming to hear that our efforts have helped good people.”

“I do hope that your Parents and Grand Parents are doing better now that they are away from that place. As not everyone we brought out on that raid was in good condition.” Dave replied.

“Auror Devereaux has informed me zat my Grand Parents are doing well. But zat my parents were gravely injured when found, although he did say zat zey have been very well looked after by ze medical teams at your safe houses.” She answered.

“When did you learn of this?” Dave asked looking genuinely concerned.

“Just over a week ago.” She replied.

“I see… Have you been able to see them as yet?” Dave asked.

“Non.” She replied, “There is still a great amount of secrecy around your safe houses here in France, and our Government is keeping them that way until some sort of announcement that is due to be made soon.”

“That should happen early next week.” Dave answered, “As the British Ministry will be getting the ‘official’ notification of our operation then. Once that happens the operation will be made public and we will begin officially trying to match up family members who we have rescued, to their families.”

“When you gave Jean-Luc the details of your family was it on an official form?” Dave asked her.

“Oui.” She replied.

“How did he get the information back to you?” he enquired.

“He gave me a ‘summary report’ of their condition, as well as a visitors port key form to submit when the operation is announced publicly.” She answered.

“Excellent.” Dave answered with a smile as he began digging in his pockets. He quickly brought out a Pad of paper and a pen much like Chief Williams had had at The Burrow on Thursday. He quickly scribbled a note and signed it, he then handed that note to Brigadier-chef Leblanc.

“When the operation is announced publicly, attach that note to your visitors form and take it to our Legal Attaché at the Australian Magical Embassy here. He is a very good mate of mine and he will ensure that you are with the first set of visitors to the safe house where your family is located. If they are well enough to travel he will do all that he can to assist you in getting them home to you.” Dave said smiling.

Brigadier-chef Leblanc gratefully accepted the note and very warmly embraced Dave and gave him some very enthusiastic French kisses on his cheeks. “Merci Auror Webb. Merci.” She said very warmly.

“There is no need to thank me, I’m just a humble Auror doing what I signed up for.” Dave replied with glowing cheeks, “I’m just glad that were able to help.”

I took this opportunity to look over at Gabrielle, while she seemed a little wary of the woman who had been hugging Dave, she was also clearly extremely happy and proud of what she had just witnessed and learned.

“If you have a few moments Brigadier-chef Leblanc, I’m wondering if you could do a favour for me?” Dave asked a little shyly.

“Of course.” She replied warmly, “How can we help?”

“Earlier during lunch I met a young family that had been robbed.” Dave explained, “It was a rather nasty robbery with the perpetrators making all sorts of lewd threats and suggestions against the mother and little girl.”

I could see the eyes on the three Police Women flash with anger at this statement.

“I was able to catch up with those involved and retrieve the property that they had taken. But I do not have powers of arrest here in France. So I was forced to make other arrangements.” Dave remarked with a slightly embarrassed smile.

“What sort of arrangements?” She asked.

“I incapacitated them and tied them up. Then I disillusioned them and left them where they were. I was going to notify Jean-Luc tonight so he could make arrangements for them to be properly dealt with.” Dave explained.

“If you and your team have some time to spare I will gladly show you where they are and you can take them in and gain the credit for the arrests. As I’m very sure that this isn’t their first offence.” Dave offered.

“We would be happy to ‘deal with them’ for you.” She answered Dave with a smile.

Dave returned her smile and retrieved a set of wands from his pocket along with a small device. These he handed over to Brigadier-chef Leblanc.

“These are their wands.” Dave explained as he handed them over, “And this device will lead you right to them.”

“Zere were five of zem?” She asked with an amused smile.

“Correct.” Dave answered.

“You can handle five hostile wizards at once, but not a group of saleswomen?” She asked clearly amused. I have to add that I was struggling to hide m own smile, as was Gabrielle and Maman.

“Well I have more practical experience with dealing with multiple hostile wizards. As opposed to multiple ‘helpful’ women.” Dave said rather shame faced.

This caused some raised eye brows amongst the Police Women, along with some disbelieving looks. But true to form Dave missed all of them.

“If you say so Auror Webb.” Brigadier-chef Leblanc said with a sly smile and a glance at Gabrielle.

“Well, we must be on our way as we need to finish our patrol and deal with your ‘gift’ Auror Webb. So we will say Au Revoir for now.” She said as she warmly shook hands with Dave.

“Au Revoir, and thanks.” Dave replied.

Brigadier-chef Leblanc also said farewell to me and Maman, but when she came to Gabrielle she passed on some advice as well.

“Au Revoir to you to Mademoiselle Delacour.” She said smiling, “Your le petit ami is a real catch. You’re a lucky woman. Take care of him.” She instructed her with a knowing smile.

“Merci.” Gabrielle replied blushing, “I will do my best to do so.” She answered.

“See that you do.” She said with a final wink to Gabrielle, “Au Revoir.” She said as she turned to walk away.

“Au Revoir.” Gabrielle replied then turned back to Dave.

“le petit ami?” Dave asked, “I haven’t heard that term before, what does it mean?”

Gabrielle blushed and both Maman and I fixed both Gabrielle and Dave with disbelieving looks.

“What?” Dave asked a little nervously when he noticed the looks directed at both him and Gabrielle.

“le petit ami, means Boyfriend.” Maman told Dave while fixing him with a very direct look. Dave immediately blushed bright red upon learning this.

“Are we to deduce from your reaction Dave, zat you have not ‘officially’ asked Gabrielle out as yet?” Maman asked him being equally surprised and amused at his reaction.

“I have asked her out.” Dave replied, “I asked her if she would like to accompany me to Grandma’s 90th Birthday.” He said a little confused. Even more so when our looks of disbelief registered. Gabrielle for her part was equally shy and amused at this response from Dave.

“You haven’t discussed your ‘official status’ with each other?” Maman almost demanded of Dave and Gabrielle. They both had the good grace to blush at this statement, while at the same time giving each other shy looks.

“I’m guessing not Maman.” I replied struggling not to smile at their predicament, “What I’m dying to know, is why not?”

“Wouldn’t that have been to forward?” Dave asked sincerely.

“Sacré bleu.” Maman exclaimed while I tried very hard not to laugh at the situation. Gabrielle was losing her own battle to hold back her own smile at this omission.

“Zat is one of the most ridiculous things I ‘ave ever ‘eard.” Maman replied looking at Dave in disbelief.

“I was hoping very much that Gabrielle was ‘interested in the job’.” Dave said a little defensively, “But I also wanted to make sure she felt she had enough information about me to make an informed decision.” Dave said glowing bright red. Gabrielle was similarly coloured.

“What else does Gabrielle need to do to let you know what her feelings are towards you?” Maman demanded in exasperation.

“Gabrielle, is zere anything else zat you zink you need to know about Dave to make zat decision?” Maman asked her.

“Non.” Gabrielle answered with a shy smile at Dave while she blushed some more. Dave for his part had gone white.

“Excellent.” Maman replied then turned to face Dave with a raised eyebrow, which on its own was almost an order to him.

With an excruciatingly enforced casualness Dave walked over to Gabrielle and asked, “Could I talk to you privately for a moment or two?”

“Oui.” Gabrielle answered with a shy smile as she took Dave’s hand and the two of them wandered over to one of the benches near the Café in the gardens.

“Are all Australien men as dense as Dave about women?” Maman asked me.

“I zink zat he and his family might be a special case.” I replied finally letting my laugh escape.

“For the safe of the Australien women I hope so.” Maman replied before she too had to give in to her own laughter.

I looked over to where Dave and Gabrielle were seated on the bench and deep in conversation. Gabrielle had a brilliant smile on her face, while Dave looked utterly terrified. Eventually Gabrielle threw herself into Dave’s arms and kissed him deeply and passionately. I could see tears of joy on her cheeks as she was kissing Dave. When they separated, I could also see tears on Dave’s cheeks. It was clear that this was a special moment for the two of them.

Dave reached up with his right hand and wiped away the tears on Gabrielle’s cheeks. He seemed to be doing the same on his own cheeks with his left hand. He next appeared to place the tears from his left hand into his right. It was then that I realised he wasn’t wiping away their tears, he had been collecting them.

Gabrielle noticed this also and she was watching with rapped attention at what was happening in the palm of Dave’s hand. She nodded in agreement to something that Dave had asked of her, he smiled by way of reply and then his face set into a look of intense concentration for several moments. He then held something up to show Gabrielle.

Whatever it was, it brought a truly beautiful smile to Gabrielle’s face that was a sight to see. She looked back over to Dave displaying that smile and then kissed him again. After this she dug out her Talisman chain and Dave attached something to it for her. The two of them then got up off the bench embraced and kissed again then walked hand in hand back over to where we were.

As they got closer I could see what it was that Dave had attached to her Talisman. It was an absolutely gorgeous pendant, not overly large but not small either. It was heart shaped and surrounded by diamonds. But the central stone was a brilliant sapphire that actually looked like it was two different shades of blue which were swirling around one another. It took me a moment to realise that those two different shades of blue matched the different shades of blue in each of their eyes.

Needless to say, Gabrielle was smiling with a VERY contented smile on her face. Dave also had a smile on his face that just wouldn’t go away.

“Well?” Maman asked them both with an enquiring look.

“It’s all sorted now.” Dave answered before Gabrielle elbowed him in the ribs. She then smiled at him and kissed him by way of an apology.

“I should ‘ope so.” Maman replied with a smile of her own, “Just to make sure, ‘e did ask you to be ‘is petite amie didn’t ‘e?” She asked Gabrielle.

“Oui.” Gabrielle answered still smiling.

“And?” I had to almost demand.

“I said oui.” Gabrielle said with a smug little smile.

“I guessed zat from your new addition.” I replied indicating her pendant, “What I was wanting to know is what ‘e said.” I asked her.

“Non.” She answered blushing.

“Nous lui demanderons plus tard.” Maman told me while fixing Gabrielle with a determined look. Dave for his part I’m sure had his suspicions but he wasn’t about to give voice to them here.

I next asked Gabrielle to have a look at the pendant Dave had obviously just made for her. She was only too happy to show it to me and Maman. My first thoughts were that my initial reaction was correct, it was truly a gorgeous piece of jewellery. Almost a work of art in its own right.

“How did you learn to do this?” I asked Dave.

“It was an exercise that was given to me by one of my tutors, which my parents had needed to bring in to try and help me control my abilities when I was very young.” He answered, “The purpose being to give a non-destructive outlet for my magical energies. My parents also told me that a useful ‘side effect’ of this exercise, was that when I was younger it took a great deal of effort to successfully complete. So, once I had made a gem stone I had drained my magical energies to the point that I didn’t usually cause any more mischief for the rest of the day.” He chuckled.

“I see. How old were you when you learnt zat?” I asked next.

“I was five years old.” Was his reply.

“Five?” We all said almost at the same time.

“Correct.” He answered almost ashamedly, “One side effect of my ‘condition’ is that things happen differently too me. One example is that powers and abilities that don’t usually show till much later occurred in me very early on.”

“I had no choice but to learn early and very quickly how to control my abilities so that I wouldn’t hurt myself or those around me.” He said with a faraway look on his face.

“At the age of five?” I asked still shocked.

“Actually at the age of four.” He said uncomfortably, “As that was when I first started performing ‘House Elf’ style magic. As that type of magic is closely tied to emotions and mine at that time were a rather large mess.” He explained.

“I’m sure zat presented some challenges for your parents.” Maman replied with genuine concern in her eyes.

“It did. But thankfully they had some help.” He explained, “Grandma and Grandpa had been through this already with Dad and were able to offer some advice. Their experience with Jimmy also helped, although he wasn’t as badly affected as I was. He was still a handful from all reports.”

“I’m told that I drove my Parents and Grandparents to distraction.” Dave said with a crooked smile that had all of us smiling also.

“Somethings that I did they were very grateful for. Things like changing my own nappies.” He added seeing our questioning looks. I had to laugh at this image.

“Other things they were not so grateful for.” He explained, “Like when I summoned all the chocolate in the house and sat down with Sam, Jimmy, Shelly and Fireball and gorged ourselves on it.” He said with a laugh. We all had to laugh at that as well.

“Of course my parents were never happy with me when I used to turn my dinner into dessert either.” He said with a rueful smile.

“Sometimes I wonder how my parents put up with my antics. As I’m sure that there are many more stories that I haven’t yet heard.” Dave remarked.

“Well I for one are very glad that they did.” Gabrielle said with a brilliant smile as she took Dave’s hand in her own.

“Merci.” Dave answered and this had us all laughing.

After this we got up and went back to see Killian to collect Dave’s finished suit. He tried it on and modelled it for us and Gabrielle judged it very satisfactory indeed. Dave and Killian seemed to be very pleased with her response.

We left Killian with our thanks and headed over to the store that Dave had first visited back in March. When we entered, Dave was immediately recognised by some of the sales women on duty and they quickly came over to greet him. Gabrielle just as quickly put a dampener on their day by making it very clear that Dave was there with her. I think even Dave noticed this from her, as he gave her a very grateful look.

He was able to quickly collect the robes that he had apparently already paid for. Once again Gabrielle requested that Dave model them for her. These too she gave her stamp of approval to. Dave then gratefully packed them away and we began to make our way back to the apartment where we began our trip earlier that day.

On the way back to the apartment Dave asked for our advice on where to purchase some very good wine. This was a request that surprised me. As I knew he was too young to drink it himself and he had never shown any interest in the wine that was often served at the Weasley’s with Dinner.

“It would help to know what the wine is for.” I asked him very interested in his answer.

“Makes sense.” He replied, “The wine is to be for Healers Jones and Grant.” He stated.

“As I would like to give them something special to thank them for their efforts in healing me. Apparently I took some significant effort to put back together correctly.” Dave explained a little embarrassed.

“A wonderful thought.” Maman replied while regarding Dave with an approving smile, ”I know just ze place.”

Maman quickly escorted us all to a wonderful wizarding establishment. Where the owner helped Dave select two suitable bottles for each of the Healers. Maman also selected some wine as well as her and Papa’s own personal thank-you to the two talented healers.

It was a short walk to get back to the apartment from there. From the apartment, it was a simple matter of opening a door back to Dave’s tent. Once we were there Dave quickly put away his purchases in his tent. We then went to our tent where Gabrielle did the same.

Next we walked over to tables where there seemed to be a group of slightly apprehensive people had congregated.
Reviews 19
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear