Search:

SIYE Time:16:57 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Trouble with Family
By BigIve

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Nymphadora Tonks, Other, Ron Weasley
Genres: Action/Adventure, General, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Death, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Spouse/Adult/Child Abuse, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 19
Summary: It is after the Battle and the search for Hermione's parents uncovers some unexpected branches on a previously well known family tree.

Canon Relationships.

Some Mature/Adult Themes and Language.
Hitcount: Story Total: 51828; Chapter Total: 1807







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


“Brothers? You mean this is your family?” Dave asked momentarily confused.

Percy fixed Dave with a look that clearly said ‘your messing with me right’.

“I got so used to thinking of you as ‘Mr P’ I completely left off the Weasley from your name. Took a moment for me to reattach it.” He said with a bit of a shamed face grin.

With the light of comprehension on his face he turned to Percy, “So all those chats we had about family. You were actually complaining about that Mr Weasley?” he said pointing a finger at Arthur.

“Yes.”, Percy answered more than a little shame faced.

Dave stepped forward and slapped Percy on the back of the head. “You really were a bloody drongo you know that don’t you? I bloody well hope you have patched things up with them by now. Fireball in particular is going to be pissed if you haven’t.” Dave said with a very intense look in his eye.

Talking just loud enough for everyone to hear him, George said to Charlie “I knew there was a reason I was starting to like this bloke.” In a poor attempt at Dave’s accent.

This statement gave everyone a good laugh.

Holding his hands up in mute surrender Percy explained, “You can tell her I have. It was kind of impossible not to. With you and your team always pushing the subject, then when Audrey took your side as well, I had no choice.”

Dave looked to George for confirmation and he nodded to confirm Percy’s story.

“When did you finally do it?” Dave asked.

“3 days after you left.” Percy confirmed.

“3 days? You said you were going to do it the next day. Or did you want to wait for your ass to recover after Fireball was finished kicking it?” he said looking at Percy with a rather evil grin.

“Percy got his butt kicked by a gi….” George started to say. But stopped when he saw the looks directed at him by Ginny, Hermione and Dave.

“By what George? Hmmm” Ginny was enquiring directing one of her famous glares at him. “By a what?”

In an attempt to save George from the wrath of Ginny, Dave added “Tell you what George. I’m make a deal with you. If you can survive one round of a sparring session with Fireball, I’ll let you finish that statement.”

George seemed to be considering the offer, but during this time Dave lost his battle to keep a straight face. After that George seemed to have second thoughts on the matter.

“No thanks.” George answered.

“You sure mate? I mean she is only a ‘little’ girl.” Dave supplied.

At this point Ginny rounded on Dave and fixed him with one of her famous glares. “What did you say?” she snapped.

“I merely supplied our intended sacrificial lamb here with some pertinent information on his potential opponent. So he could make an informed decision.” Dave answered seemingly immune to Ginny’s furious glare.

“Fireball isn’t ‘little’ Syd you know that.” Percy said.

“She’s littler than him isn’t she? Therefore to him she is little. I’m mean there might be only an inch in it. But it still makes her littler don’t you think?” he asked.

Ginny was opening her mouth to reply when Dave’s mirror phone issued a strange buzzing sound.

This sound seemed to have captured the immediate and complete attention of Dave, Chief Williams and strangely Percy.

Looking curious, Dave grabbed his Mirror Phone and held it to his ear and said “Syd.”

The look on his face turned from one of curiosity to a look that had everyone wondering where their wands were.

“I’m not sure, I’ll check. Wait one.” He said in a very crisp and business-like manner.

Turning to Chief Williams he asked, “Boss, do you currently have a detail assigned to you?”

“No Syd.” was his answer.

“Minister, do you have a security detail assigned to follow you around at all?” he asked Kingsley.

“No I don’t. Why do you ask?” he replied.

“I ask as Mick as just called to let me know that there is a group of 4 possibly 5 disillusioned people currently stationed outside the stone wall that runs around your yard.”

Everyone now seemed to be wearing looks similar to that of Dave.

“When we arrived Mick thought he saw something out there. But whoever it was they were doing a good job of hiding themselves. So he wasn’t sure.”

“It wasn’t until Percy here arrived and one of them moved carelessly that he could confirm what he was seeing.”

“He has done a quick check of the area and found 4 people who are disillusioned positioned around what he assumes is the main apparition point for this location.”

“It also appears that they have been there for more than a day. It is clear that they are waiting for someone to arrive and it wasn’t Percy.”

“We have seen this type of behaviour before in certain groups but they always operated in teams of 5.”

“So I would like to confirm with you all. That to the best of your knowledge there is no reason for those group of people to be where they are, behaving as they are?” he asked very intently.

After a chorus of ‘No’s’, he turned to Chief Williams and said, “Boss it looks like we have a group of potential hostiles out there. Can we make a move to grab them? As I would like to find out what they are playing at?”

Kingsley spoke up and added, “I think we would all like to know what is going on out there, Auror Webb.”

“I can very quickly request a full team of Aurors from our Chief Roberts and they can be here very shortly.” He added.

Dave was about to speak when Kingsley cut across him.

“I understand your reservations Auror Webb, but Chief Roberts is thoroughly dependable and reliable. He can be trusted to only bring reliable Aurors with him on a mission like this.”

“Minister he may well be under normal circumstances. But he is also currently compromised.” Dave stated.

“His newly pregnant wife has been kidnapped and is being held by the opposition.” Dave said in a very professional tone.

“What? When?” Kingsley questioned.

“On the day he returned from his Honeymoon Minister. Someone in your Ministry changed the details of his Portkey and they were taken to an alternate location. Where he was very quickly outnumbered and over powered.”

“His wife was taken away to a separate location where she is currently being held. We understand that she is allowed to communicate with him via Floo and occasionally by Owl.”

“Do you know where she is being held?” he almost demanded of Auror Webb.

“Yes Minister we believe we do. I have a team watching the location now and we intend to raid it as soon as we have confirmed her presence there.” Dave explained.

“When do you expect the raid to take place Syd?” Chief Williams asked.

“Within the next 48 hrs Boss.” Was the reply.

“This is why you told the Minister not to visit until next week isn’t it?” said Chief Williams.

“Yes Boss. The surprising thing is that he listened to us.”

“The next question Boss, is how do we want to handle this lot who are sneaking about outside?” asked Dave.

“We have a few options. First we can go after the 4 that Mick has identified. Or we can give Mick sometime to do a proper scouting of the area to see if there is indeed a 5th person as we suspect.”

“If we are not pressed for time my preference is to give Mick time to do his thing. As the more warm bodies we collect the more we will have to talk to. And the more we have to talk to the greater the chance of useful information being uncovered.”

Dave turned his gaze on all those present while waiting for their response.

Kingsley, Chief Williams, Arthur and Bill were having a hurried discussion while all watched them. Eventually Kingsley spoke. “We agree with you Auror Webb. It would be ideal to gather as many of these people as possible in one swoop. How long would it take for this ‘Mick’ to check the area?”

Dave placed his Mirror phone back on the table and spoke directly to it, “Mick, its Syd here. I have you on speaker with me are the Boss, Minister Shacklebolt, Arthur Weasley and his Family. It has been decided that they like your idea of having a proper Captain Cook of the area.”

“Can you advise who you have with you and how long it would take for a sweep to be done?”

“Syd, there is only myself and Fireball here.” Mick started to respond.

“Fireball? What is she doing there? She is supposed to be back in France resting as she has been on the go longer than me.” Dave asked clearly agitated.

“Syd I tried to stop her. But after you left she pulled rank and told Rowdy to stand down as she was coming with me.” He answered.

“Why on earth…” Dave started to exclaim when he was cut off by a female voice stating, “I have orders from a ‘higher power’ than you Syd.”

Dave put his head in his hands and started to take a deep breath.

“Trouble with the Missus?” George wanted to know.

Dave looked at him confused for a moment, while laughter came over the phone.

“She isn’t my Missus mate. She’s worse. She’s one of my sisters.” Was Dave’s reply. Followed by “I heard that” from the Mirror phone.

“I’d be worried if you hadn’t Fireball.” Said Dave with a grin on his face.

“Sisters? How many do you have?” enquired George.

“Six.” Was the distracted reply from Dave.

“Now that must have been painful” George remarked to no one in particular.

Ginny however stepped up and exclaimed “Could have been worse it could have been six brothers.” She then punched George in the arm.

Almost without thinking about it Dave remarked, “Keep your wrist straight, and remember to twist so as to use your back muscles as well.”

“Thanks” said Ginny excitedly while she tried the suggestions, and then admired the end result of George wincing for real.

Dave watched the exchange and smiled. Turning serious he continued, “Fireball, can you keep track of the currently identified targets while Mick goes for a Captain Cook? Or are they two spaced out too do it without giving your position away?”

“They are sufficiently spaced that to properly stay concealed an extra pair of eyes wouldn’t go astray Syd.”

“Do you have a suitable jump point there?” Dave wanted to know.

“We do” she replied.

“Ok, mark the positons you know now and then notify, Cassy, Rowdy and Jono to jump there now. That will give a set of eyes to each target. But make sure everyone stays undetected. We want all of these jokers. Is that understood?”

“Yes Syd. It’s understood. Moving now.” Fireball replied.

“Mick as soon as they are in position begin your search. Do you need any assistance from this end? As I have some willing volunteers here.” He added seeing the looks in the eyes of those in the room.

“Not right now Syd. But will advise once I have completed the circuit.”

“How long Mick?” Dave questioned.

“15 minutes, minimum Syd.”

“We will be waiting Mick.” He replied.

“Mrs Weasley, could I trouble you for a larger Mirror? Or a shiny steel tray?” Dave asked.

I was momentarily confused by the request, but moved to grab the large mirror from the lounge. Bringing it back into the kitchen Dave motioned that I should place it flat on the table. He then placed his Mirror Phone on it in one corner and tapped it a few times.

When he removed it from the mirror we were looking at a map of the Burrow showing the surrounding area. There were 4 red dots over near the apparition point. There were also 4 blue dots moving into a position behind each of the red dots. But far enough back so they would be difficult to spot.

Pointing to the mirror Dave said, “The Red Dots are the disillusioned individuals Mick first noticed. The Blue Dots are my team moving into position.”

“What I want to know is, if there is a 5th person as we suspect out there where would be the most advantageous position for them to be?”

Chief Williams was the first to speak up. “Why doesn’t Mick show up on this?”

“Mick won’t show up, as when he is cloaked his beacon is blocked. This map is only a very simple tactical one to co-ordinate between us all. It is still a new feature and not all the ‘bugs’ are worked out yet. But it does show promise.” Dave answered. Chief Williams nodded.

“If I wanted to watch the kitchen door which is the main entry to the house, I would be in that gully over near the orchard.” Bill offered.

Dave was beginning to ask more questions when a new blue dot appeared on the map on the side opposite the red dots. Then a voice came from the Mirror Phone, “Syd?”

“That was quick Mick. What did you find?” he asked.

“Syd, I think we have a situation here. As I have found a section of ground here with some very serious protective charms on it. Marking the outer boundaries on the map now.”

A rather large area was soon marked in red on the map just past the orchard.

The expressions on the faces of Syd and Percy as they looked at each other were definitely making me check for my wand.

“Mick, what if anything can you detect inside that area?” Dave asked.

“Syd, I can’t get past those charms without them knowing that I’m here. But I can tell you there is a patch of grass and some trees here who are showing signs of frost damage.”

“Kind of an odd time for that to be happening in summer don’t you think.” Mick stated.

Once again Percy and Syd looked at each other and exclaimed almost at once, “Dover!!”

“What’s Dover got to do with this?” Kingsley asked with some concern.

“It means Minster that we are all inside a very carefully prepared ambush.” Dave said with a completely emotionless voice.

“How long have you all been back here? A day? Two?” Dave wanted to know.

“This is the Fourth Day since we came home from Hogwarts” Arthur said looking a little concerned.

“Ok, when you arrived home did you scout the area and put your charms back up or were they already in place?” Dave enquired of Arthur.

“We checked the house and the out buildings as well as the yard for people and traps. But not much outside of the stone wall” Bill said with resignation.

“All but the most basic of charms had been broken and needed to be re-set on the house and surrounds. We did that before brining everyone back here.” Bill said and Arthur confirmed.

“No checks on the surrounding area since then?” Dave asked of Bill and Arthur.

“Not since we chased off the reporters the day after we got back” Ron added.

“Reporters? Where were they located?” said Dave.

“By the gate near the Apparition point” said Ron pointing to the gate on the map.

Exchanging another look with Percy, Dave replied “That probably explains why there is only one pocket here instead of two then.”

“As when you chased off the reporters you most likely upset the wards for the other pocket. It would explain why those other 4 are exposed on that side.”

Percy nodded but still looked worried.

“Syd, can you explain for the rest of us what you two are talking about.” Chief Williams asked with a hint of frustration in his voice.

“Can do Boss.”

“As I mentioned before this looks very much like an Ambush that was sprung on us in Dover. Although back there we didn’t have Mick out scouting for us.”

“In that ambush they had two ‘pockets’ each with a quad of Dementors in it positioned on opposite sides of the location we were in. Also positioned very near the apparition points that we used.”

“They were waiting until the early hours of the morning and then tried to raid the house we were in. Luckily for us we had started a planned move earlier that night/morning. So there were only myself, Percy, Shelly and Rowdy on the scene when they attacked.” He added.

“In that case we had a group of nearly 80 people who were our priority to get safely away so we didn’t stay to play.”

“But we could today.” He asked almost hopefully.

“What do you expect to be facing in that ‘bubble’ as you called it Auror Webb” enquired Kingsley.

“If they follow the same plan as in Dover there will be a group of between 10-15 Dementors and maybe about 8 Wizards / Witches in there.”

“Counting the 4 over the other side that will bring the total up to 12 Witches and or Wizards.”

“I’m wondering who the target is going to be. Given the amount of time it takes them to set this up it will have to be someone who is usually here. Not a visitor.”

“That will count out myself, you Boss and you Minister. As our visit here is rather last minute.”

“My money is on it being, either Arthur or one of the ‘golden trio’ as the paper here calls them.” Dave said with a slightly thoughtful expression.

“The next question is going to be what do we want to do about it?”

“My vote is not to wait till they are ready to move in the early morning but spring the ambush now in daylight when we are ready.”

“Dementors don’t like bright sunlight. If we are lucky and that isn’t a squad of them waiting for us they will leave on their own.”

“But if it is a squad we are going to have to fight them, and I only have the 3 of us here who can directly do that currently.” He said looking very directly at Chief Williams and Kingsley.

“Your thoughts?”

Everyone seemed a little shaken by this rather blunt assessment. However they were also determined to take action to defend their home and family.

“I agree we do not want to wait till dark.” Kingsley began, “However I would like a few more people on our side if possible given the numbers you expect there to be.”

“I have another 6 members of my team I can call up and have here very quickly Minister. More than that and I will need to issue an all hands alert. Unless we want to go through Ministry red tape Boss?” Dave offered.

“Not if we can help it Syd.” Was his reply.

“Minister, Mr Weasley are you able to call in anyone else? Given that we are being watched here?” Dave asked.

“If Chief Roberts is indeed compromised as you say Auror Webb our options are limited.” Was Kingsley reply.

Arthur was about to reply when Hermione spoke up, “What about the DA? We can get a message to them with our coins. I’m not sure who will be able to help come though.”

“Coins?” Dave asked, “How detailed a message can you send with coins?”

“Not very, she replied. I could ask for assistance at the Burrow now. That would be about it.”

“Where would they arrive if you asked them to come? The apparition point near your gate?”

“Yes” she replied after getting confirmation from Ginny and George.

“It could work, Boss. But we will need to secure that point and have someone meet them there to explain things so they will know who is who.”

“My team have communication gear so we can stay in touch and co-ordinate. I can organise some more for the ones in this room. Without knowing how many of this DA mob are going to show I can’t be sure we will have enough.” Dave offered.

“What are you thinking Syd?” Chief Williams asked.

“Boss, I’m thinking we get my team into place, capture their attention and then spring their trap from behind.”

“Drunkmouse are you listening in on this at all?” Dave asked with a smile.

“But of course Syd.” Came the reply from a very correct sounding voice.

“You know I always start to take notice when someone draws a tactical map during a supposedly ‘quiet’ visit.” The voice of this ‘Drunkmouse’ replied.

“Thanks Mate. Knew we could count on you.” Dave said with a smile.

“You can see the map and the names”, he added tapping his screen so that names appeared next to the dots.

“That I can Syd.”

“Right then. If we call in Shelly, Goose, Olly, Abby, Guz and Izzy, we can pare up the team like this.”

“Cassy can pair with me once the trap is sprung, but she can join up with Fireball before that. Send Goose to Join up with Mick and have Olly and Abby go to Mick as well.”

“Rowdy and Jono will be another pair, along with Shelly and Guz and Izzy and Fireball”

“Those three pairs along with Cassy will take out the group near the apparition Point. Secure their prisoners and then join in with the main group dealing with what comes out of the bubble.”

“In the mean time we will pair the people here like this, Chief Williams and Minister Shacklebolt we will keep together to co-ordinate and act as a reserve if required.”

“Arthur and Bill Weasley” Dave began to say before a female voice spoke up and said, “Is that actually Bombshell?” to a few laughs over the phone and in the room.

“Yes Fireball it is. You can ask him about the stories later” Dave said smiling. Looking at Bill he said “Told you that you were famous in the family.”

Bill had the good grace to blush slightly under Fleur’s rather amused direct look.

“As I was saying, Arthur and Bill Weasley will form one pair, ‘Mr P’ and George another, Charlie and Ron also. Molly and Hermione will be paired and the last group will be Fleur, Gabrielle and Ginny.”

“My thoughts on a plan are this, after we get the team in place outside the current wards. Charlie, Ron and me will setup a distraction. That will enable the teams near the four disillusioned people to make their move. Once they have been secured, Hermione can send out her message to her DA mates. Then Hermione and Molly can take a position near the apparition point to greet any arrivals and brief them on what we are doing. As well as to equip them with comms gear so they can hear what is going on.”

“We can then setup a perimeter around the bubble in preparation to take down their charms.”

“Bombshell, you’re the curse breaker so you will be the logical choice to break their charms. You ok with this?” he asked Bill.

“Got to get used to this name but yes that is fine.” Bill replied.

“Excellent, everyone is to stay with their group or pair. If your opponent is taken down, look to support those nearest you. If no opponent is available, announce that that on the comms gear and Kingsley or Chief Williams will assign you a new one.”

“Under no circumstances are you to leave your buddy. If one of you is hurt the other will provide cover and call for assistance and you will then ALL move together. Is everyone clear on that?” Dave asked the note of command clear in his voice.

A chorus of Yes’s greeted that statement.

“Now if there are indeed Dementors under that bubble, our first goal will be to try and drive them off with Patronus charms as usual. If they don’t leave and only circle back that will be the signal that we are facing a squad.”

“If that happens then the plan is to change thus, those nearest the current wards get outside of them and setup Patronus Shields to keep the Dementors from Escaping.” Dave explained with a very serious look on his face.

Seeing the stunned looks he explained.

“Once we start to take on the Dementors to destroy them we want to make sure we get them all. As we don’t want them to carry word back to whoever is giving them orders about what we can do. The longer we keep them in the dark on that the better it will be for us.”

Looking around and seeing nods he continued.

“Those who are on the outside of the shield will follow the instructions of Mick or Goose if Mick isn’t answering”.

“Everyone else is to fall back to this house and set up Patronus shields to keep the Dementors out of the house and provide a haven for those working on the Dementors directly.”

“Chief Williams you can run the show inside here or if you are unable Minister Shacklebolt will.”

“Those here in the house will also need to setup some extra shields to cover the expected… let’s call it ‘Noise’. That will be experienced when a Dementor is destroyed.”

“It is not noise that will damage your ears as such. It is more like very intense emotions of all sorts. Usually it is despair, anger and hatred. It will ‘mess with your head’ in many different ways, but it will also give you a major headache none the less. The longer it goes on the more damage it will do though.”

“Boss the ones you will want on that shield if it is needed will be Fleur and Gabrielle” Dave said to the surprise of those in the room.

“Why them?” Chief Williams asked.

“They are both part Veela and as such are experienced in shielding powerful emotions both from and of others. That is basically the same type of shield needed here. I’m confident that they can show the others who end up in here how it is done if needed.” Dave stated.

“Ow do you know zat we are part Veela, Dave?” Fleur asked curiously.

“It is a few things, but mostly your wings. As I can see them hiding behind you both.” Dave replied with his eyes quickly showing a golden tint over them.

Fleur and Gabrielle were clearly surprised by this statement and by the change shown in Dave’s eyes when he spoke.

“Eet is a useful skill to see zat which is ideen no?” Fleur said looking at Dave with a thoughtful expression on her face.

“It depends on what is hidden and why it has been hidden” was Dave’s reply.

“Zat is a very deep answer Dave. Per’aps we can talk later?” Fleur enquired.

“If that is what you wish. I will place myself at your disposal after we deal with these buggers outside.” Dave replied to a round of chuckles and some laughter from those of us in the room.

“Ok, back to the task at hand. Cassy and I will take first crack at the Dementors if it proves to be necessary. If we start to tire Fireball you and Shelly will take over from us. Clear?” Dave asked.

“Yes Syd that is clear.” Fireball replied.

“No one else is to be between the shields except for the pairs actively engaged against the Dementors.” He stated very forcefully.

“’Mr P’ do you still have the gun I gave you?” he asked Percy.

Percy nodded and produced an odd looking device that resembled the letter L made from a metal of some sort. He passed it over to Dave.

Collecting it from Percy Dave activated a switch and a piece fell out of the handle. Picking it up he showed it to those of us in the room.

“This is an experimental weapon that we are working on. It is based on a Muggle Weapon called a ‘Gun’ or a ‘Firearm’. In short it is a tool, which can fire a metal object with great force in a straight line.”

“This one has been modified to fire magically enhanced ammunition.”

“What I’m holding up is called the magazine. It holds the bullets, these Magazines are magically expanded and can hold around 50 bullets. Each bullet carries a set of curses and charms on them.”

“These curses and charms are designed to get the Dementor to absorb the bullet much like it would absorb emotions. Then once the bullet is inside the Dementor it will break open and release something rather like a Patronus.”

“This will cause the Dementor great pain and weaken it a good deal. In theory enough of these bullets into a Dementor will destroy it. But we have not yet achieved that goal. It will however drive the Dementor away in the event that your Patronus charms are not enough or you are unable to cast one.”

“It is extremely important that these are not pointed at or used against anything other than Dementors. If a person is standing in front of this Gun and I pull this trigger they WILL die.”

“These are weapons of a last resort nature at this point in time and are to be used as such.”

“’Mr P’ here has been trained by us on these items so he can show you how to use them if required. My team members also carry these items and will use them to support you if needed.”

“Keep in mind when they are used they will sound like very loud fire crackers going off and will emit a bright light and flame from the barrel here.”

“Any questions?” Dave asked, while pulling another 5 of the ‘Guns’ from his jacket pocket and placing them on the table.

“I have a question Dave” asked Charlie, “What sort of distraction are we going to cause to get the attention of that lot outside.”

Smiling ear to ear Dave answered, “Just how far do you think the two of you can throw me from your porch when you toss me out of here?”

Returning the grin Charlie answered, “Oh, I think we could get you a good ways out into the yard.”

Ron was agreeing with Charlie when he added, “Why would we be throwing you out of the house though?”

“I understand that it is part of the distraction, but I’m also guessing that we are going to have an argument out in the yard. So what is it to be about?”

“Good point Ron” said Dave giving the matter some more thought.

“I know, I have a great idea for a fight.” Ron said excitedly.

“We can throw you out for making a pass at our sister.” Ron said rather pleased with himself.

“Why would I have wanted to do that though” Dave started to say before there was a loud thud and Ginny started to swear while holding her wrist.

Looking at her with amusement Dave said, “Sorry I should have warned you. According to my sisters I’m denser than a normal bloke, so extra care is needed if you wish to thump me.” There was quite a bit of laughter at this comment.

Holding out his hand to Ginny he said, “Let me fix that for you, as you are likely going to be needing your wand hand shortly”.

He quickly placed both his hands on Ginny’s offered wrist and then released her. “Feel better?” he asked.

“Much better. Thank you” she replied before slapping him on the back of his head saying “Git”.

“I think I might have deserved that one.” Dave chuckled.

“Unless anyone has a better idea we will run with Ron’s” Dave asked.

When no one offered a better alternative Dave spoke to his Mirror Phone again.

“Drunkmouse, can you put at least 20 ear pieces into my tray for me. All coded to the channel for my team?”

“Will do Syd. Give me a moment” was the reply.

“Drunkmouse is currently gathering up some more of these.” Said Dave while holding up a small oddly shaped device that looks like a squashed kidney bean.

“This is another idea we have taken from the Muggles. It is a device that goes in your ear and will enable you to hear everyone else who has one in their ear also. Every time you talk it will broadcast your voice enabling others to hear you.”

“The range on these devices is currently only about one kilometre but that should be more than enough for today.”

“It goes in your ear like this” he said putting the device inside his ear.

“Inserting it like that will activate it. There is a light sticking charm on it to help keep it in place.”

“Speak only when it is necessary when wearing one as otherwise it can quickly become like a noisy party with all the different voices going at the same time.” He cautioned.

“They are ready and in your tray Syd” came the voice of Drunkmouse.

“Thanks mate” Dave replied before again opening his Auror wallet but to a different pocket this time.

Reaching into the pocket he brought out twenty of the devices that he had just shown us.

I would like you all to put one of these in your ears now and say your name so you can confirm that they are working and get a feel for what they are like.

We all complied and I must say it was a rather strange experience to have a voice buzzing in your ear like that. But I could also see it being very useful. As each one of us spoke a dot and our name appeared on the map.

“Drunkmouse, are the others briefed and ready to jump?” Dave asked.

“They are Syd.” Was the reply.

“Boss, Minister” he said looking at Chief Williams and Kingsley, “Are we going to get this done?”

After a quick chat between them Kingsley replied, “Yes Auror Webb we are.”

“Is everyone clear on what the plan is and their role in it?” Dave asked the group and those on the Mirror Phone.

Once again there was a Chorus of Yes’s coming back.

“Excellent. Any other questions before we begin?” Dave asked.

“Syd, what about those cursed knives from Dover? We never worked out who was using them.” Percy asked.

“Good Point. Mr P.”

“Listen up everyone. In our last encounter in Dover there were some unusual weapons used against us. One of them was a device that looked a bit like a wooden stake.”

“However they were actually a cursed throwing knife. They are rather nasty objects as a normal shield won’t do much to them other than slow them down. They will still go through the shield, but you will have a little time to get out of the way but DON’T expect your shield to stop them.”

“Do NOT under any circumstances touch them with your bear skin. The curses on them are strong enough to affect you by touch alone.”

“If anyone is hit by one of these do NOT touch them. As the Curse will transfer just as easily from them to you by touch also.”

“Your best bet at treatment will be to put a freezing charm on the person until we can get them to a curse breaker”, he said looking at Bill. “And a healer depending on the nature of the damage done”

“I would also like to remind everyone to continually check ‘six’ or your back. If your pair is not near the active engagements turn and check the area’s behind us all. We don’t want to be caught from behind at all.”

“Hermione, any members of the DA who arrive after the action starts might be best placed to take on this role, as they will already likely be away from the action. If they do find anyone make sure they themselves are in pairs and that they let everyone else know about any new opposition.” Dave instructed.

“Makes sense”, Hermione agreed.

“Fleur. I would like your group to keep near the house when we go to ‘break the bubble’. The reason being if there is a Dementor squad present your team will be the first back to the house and be able to get the shields in place to protect the minds of the people inside the house. While Kingsley and the Boss will be able to get the Patronus shields up. Others can help as they arrive.” Dave requested.

“Oui. Agreed” was Fleur’s reply.

“Any other questions or suggestions?” Dave asked.

Getting none, he turned to Charlie and Ron and said with a smile, “Would you two gentlemen like to throw me out of this most excellent house?”

“Dave I thought you would never ask” was Charlie’s chuckled reply.

“Then lead on then my good man”

Once Charlie, Ron and Dave had got themselves positioned just inside the kitchen door they turned to look at Kingsley and Chief Williams.

Chief Williams nodded and said “Go.” He then spoke to the Mirror Phone and said “Drunkmouse we have begun. Give a count of 15 seconds and then get the others to jump.” He then faced Hermione, “Hermione as soon as those red dots change to crosses call your DA friends.”

While this was going on there were sounds of “You Smarmy git, how did you think you could get away with trying something like that on MY sister.”

Between them Charlie and Ron seemed to have been able to get Dave to almost fly into the centre of the yard. Dave appeared to have landed badly and was groaning on the ground when Charlie and Ron descended on him and began to kick into him while still yelling all sorts of insults.

I turned my attention back to the map on the table. Very quickly after the boys started in the yard there were extra blue dots showing on the map. Both over near the apparition point and near where the dot labelled ‘Mick’ was positioned.

Shortly after the arrival of these extra blue dots the 4 red dots changed to show crosses.

“They are now disarmed, secured and in custody” remarked Chief Williams. “Hermione, call your friends and get yourself and Molly over there now”.

Hermione performed the charm on her coin. I grabbed the extra ear pieces from the table and went with her to the apparition point.

While we were making our way over to our position the others were all moving also. There was also a group of 7 people that I didn’t recognise running for the other side of the yard. I did absently notice that one of them had bright flaming red hair. They also seemed to be moving as one in co-ordinated pairs.

I next remember feeling something almost like an explosion and the hearing Bill’s voice in my ear saying “Wards are down” followed by different sets of voices calling out “Contact” or “Engaging” followed by the sounds of spells being cast.

Just then we had our first arrivals at the apparition point. It turned out to be Neville who was closely followed by Luna and Terry Boot.

Hermione very quickly briefed them on what was happening and the plan that was being followed. They were given ear pieces and announced themselves just like we had done.

At this point there was a cry of “Dementors” followed by a few shouts of ‘Expecto Patronum’.

Quickly after this Dave’s voice spoke up over everyone one else saying “It’s a squad. Repeat it’s a squad they are not fleeing only drawing back to regroup.”

“Everyone to their assigned positions and ready shields. Remember we can’t allow them to escape. All eyes must remain alert for further hostiles.”

Kingsley quickly spoke up and asked the newly arrived members of the DA to move to the house and provide cover for those who were falling back to it.

The next sounds chilled my heart. There was a feminine scream and Fleur’s voice spoke saying “… is down”. I missed the name but my heart skipped a beat as Ginny was with her.

Her call was quickly answered by Guz and Shelly saying they were able to assist getting them all into the house.

Chief Williams was the next to speak saying “Syd, the killing ground is all clear of all hostiles except the Dementors. All friendlies are clear except for you and Cassy. You are free to engage.”

“Understood Boss. Engaging Dementors now.”

The next thing I remembered was what sounded like the largest thunder clap that I had ever heard coming from the yard behind me.

Turning to look I saw one of the most frightening sights I had ever seen. A group of about 15 Dementors were circling Dave and Cassy. Occasionally one of them would swoop down only to be met by either Friendfyre or another lightning bolt like flash of light and sound.

The Friendfyre seemed to almost hug the Dementors. It also seemed to be causing them a great deal of pain. But they were not fleeing, they would circle back and be met by another strike of light.

During this process we had some more arrivals. Angelina Johnson, Dean Thomas, Katie Bell, Seamus Finnigan, Anthony Goldstein and Cho Chang had all arrived in quick succession.

They were all quickly gathered and the remaining ear pieces were given out. Despite their initial confusion as to what was happening in front of them, once it was explained they all readily agreed to assist with the outer Patronus Shield to stop the Dementors from fleeing.

I had just turned back to watch the scene in the yard when there was a very loud explosion which knocked a few of us over.

However the shock was not from the noise, but from the undisputable fact that a Dementor had just been destroyed.

In its wake there was a rapidly dissipating black cloud as well as a few feeble almost twinkling golden lights that looked almost like fairies.

The remaining Dementors sprang towards those lights but I saw Dave raise his hand and summon them to him. This action only seemed to enrage the remaining Dementors even more.

Two more explosions quickly followed from Dementors who had previously been on fire. They also left behind some lights that were collected by Dave.

At this point Cassy appeared to stumble and before she was on her feet had three Dementors on her. Two of them appeared to have grabbed her arms while the third was trying to raise her face.

Dave appeared to crash himself into the Dementor trying to raise Cassy’s face while yelling, “Dammit Cassy, Burn it. Burn it NOW!!!”

While he was struggling with the Dementor he just crashed into, Cassy seemed to fully catch on fire. The Dementors holding her were also wreathed in flame.

Dave set his Dementor on fire also and there followed another three bright flashes of light each one shortly followed by another louder explosion.

Once again Dave summoned those odd yellow lights.

Both Dave and Cassy were now fully aflame and they seemed to have become enraged as they attacked with reckless abandon. They were now not just trying to set Dementors on fire by touching them when they came close enough. They actually seemed to be throwing balls of fire at them, lots of them.

The balls of fire appeared to be more effective than the previous methods. As all the Dementors who were hit ignited. Once alight they seemed to be weakened to the point where they could not climb very high or move very fast. Those so weakened were finished off by Dave with his odd flashes of light.

This resulted in another 6 Dementors being destroyed. Significantly more lights were released this time and while Dave tried to summon them all, one of the Dementors managed to grab a light and began to draw it to itself.

At this point I clearly heard Dave yell, “No you don’t, he belongs to me now. NOT YOU!” at which point he threw what looked to be a fireball at the Dementor who was focusing on the yellow light. Only this time the fireball was pure white not yellow and it moved much faster.

When the white ball hit the Dementor it detonated immediately. The resulting explosion knocked Cassy sideways but it knocked Dave to the ground and he didn’t immediately get up.

Instantly one of the Dementors was attacking Dave. It picked him up and threw him into the porch. Dave sailed through the porch railing to crash into the wall of the house.

Two voices could be heard screaming “No!!” and then two more people were on the scene. One of them had the brilliant Red Hair that I noticed earlier and she came from outside the outer Patronus shield. The other had hair the colour of midnight and emerged from the house.

Both of them were also fully aflame with the same Golden light as Cassy and Dave.

The remaining two Dementors were soon alight and obviously weakened. But were not yet out of the fight.

Cassy and the Red Headed one were teaming up on the Dementor in the yard. While the one with the Midnight hair was trying to get Dave away from the Dementor near the porch. She seemed to be struggling with Dave and wasn’t paying full attention to what was occurring as the Dementor was soon right behind her.

“Shelly Down!” Arthur yelled and then I could hear what sounded like fire crackers going off.

Soon the Dementor was off the porch and I could see Arthur, Bill, Percy and someone I didn’t know standing on the porch and pointing the guns that Dave had supplied at the Dementor.

Dave’s voice could next be heard saying, “Thanks all. Out of the way please.”

Arthur, Bill, Percy and the unknown person moved back inside the house. Leaving Dave on the porch being supported by Shelly.

Dave raised his hand, there was another flash of white light followed by a thunderous crack. Then the Dementor from the porch exploded.

Once again Dave summoned the strange lights to him.

Shelly and Dave continued out into the yard. All four of them continued to hurl fire at the remaining Dementor. Dave attempted to strike it with the same white light as before, but he seemed to be weakening himself. As the white lights didn’t have the same effect.

The Red headed one after what appeared to be a quick whispered conversation with Dave turned and fired a white fireball at the Dementor. This had the effect of causing it to explode.

Dave summoned the strange lights to himself once again before falling to the ground on his knees.

The silence that followed was thunderous. Broken only by Dave’s whispered voice. “Everybody stand back, give me some room. Then after I’m done sweep and secure the area.”

Chief Williams asked, “After you have done what, Syd?”

“You’ll know Boss. You’ll know” was Dave’s reply.

The three people with Dave moved back leaving him on his knees and gave him a good amount of room.

Dave himself had begun to glow with a faint golden light. After a moment he lifted his head raised his arms and there issued from him lights lots of lights.

These appeared to be similar to the lights that came from the Dementors, but they were no longer feeble and twinkling lights. They were bright golden lights giving out a solid steady glow.

All who saw them were amazed and couldn’t help but feel the immense sense of happiness and joy that came from them. The lights seemed to hover briefly around Dave before raising up and disappearing into the sky above.

Once the lights were gone Dave fell face first into the dirt of the yard. I thought he had passed out until I heard him say, “Mick, take over and have the area checked. I’m knackered and need some lunch.”

Several sets of laughter could be heard at this before Mick replied, “No worries Syd. We will get it done.”

The three who had been with Dave in the yard helped him to his feet and then assisted him into the house.

A set of commands could be heard over the earpieces we all had organising a search of the area. It seemed to all be names of the Aurors from Dave’s team. So I joined the line of people heading for the house.
Reviews 19
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear