Search:

SIYE Time:16:00 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Trouble with Family
By BigIve

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Nymphadora Tonks, Other, Ron Weasley
Genres: Action/Adventure, General, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Death, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Spouse/Adult/Child Abuse, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 19
Summary: It is after the Battle and the search for Hermione's parents uncovers some unexpected branches on a previously well known family tree.

Canon Relationships.

Some Mature/Adult Themes and Language.
Hitcount: Story Total: 51834; Chapter Total: 1751







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Walking into the house just behind Dave and the three who were assisting him, I was expecting there to be scenes of jubilation. However I was immediately confronted by Fleur’s tear streaked face and sorrowful looks on all in our now very crowed kitchen and living room.

“What’s wrong” I asked. Wanting to know what had happened.

Bill was the one who gave me the news. “It’s Gabrielle. She was hit by one of those cursed knives we were told about.” He said in a very grave voice.

“Where was she hit” the girl with the red hair helping Dave wanted to know. She looked up for an answer.

Bill turned to look at her to answer the question when I saw his expression change into one of recognition, wonder and confusion.

I stepped out from behind the group holding Dave to see what had caused such a reaction from my eldest son.

What I saw nearly made my heart stop. The girl, no woman with the red hair who was helping Dave into a seat looked like she could have been Ginny’s sister.

Admittedly she would have been her older and bigger sister as she was easily over 6 feet tall and appeared to be in her mid to late twenties. But the face, eyes and even the expression were unmistakeable.

Bill and Fleur were speechless. So was I. We just stood there looking at her, not knowing what to do or say.

For her part she was looking at us wondering if we had taken leave of our senses. As that was the exact same expression that Ginny herself used.

It was now that Ginny herself entered the kitchen, she first noticed the strange looks on Bill and Fleur. Then she noticed my expression as well. Turning to the others in the room for an explanation she saw the Red Head who was standing next to Dave.

If I hadn’t already been so shocked I would have burst into uncontrollable laughter at the looks on the faces of the two of them.

Ginny was now wearing an expression much like the one of Bill’s face and the Read Headed girl was now mirroring it.

“Who the hell are you?” Ginny asked of the Red Headed girl.

Dave took this opportunity to look up and noticing Ginny’s expression glanced over his shoulder, looked back at Ginny and then back over his shoulder again. Then he replied, “Ginny this is Fireball. Fireball this is Ginny Weasley. Arthur Weasley’s daughter.”

“What sort of weird name is Fireball?” Ginny wanted to know.

“Sorry Ginny, her real name Jasper Charlotte Webb. She is one of my sisters.” Dave replied.

“I see, so why the hell does she look like me then?” Ginny asked.

“I have no idea Ginny. But there is no need to get worked up over it. She didn’t have a say in it did she” Dave replied with a chuckle.

At this comment all three of the girls standing behind Dave smacked him over the back of his head. This resulted in his head almost making contact with the kitchen table.

I have to admit that I started to laugh at this point. My only saving grace was that the others in the room also began to chuckle as well.

Looking back over his shoulder at the ones behind him Dave gave a theatrical sigh and then turned back to the rest of us and said, “The remaining ‘lovely’ ladies behind me are, Michelle ‘Shelly’ Rosemary Webb” he said indicating the one with the black hair, “Yes she is another one of my sisters.”

“This is Cassandra ‘Cassy’ Violet Blanks, one of my many Cousins. But apart from that she is mostly ok.” He said with a smile.

This time he was quick enough to avoid the blows aimed at the back of his head.

“Ladies may I introduce, Mrs Molly Weasley, wife of Arthur Weasley. Bill Weasley and his wife Fleur.” He said pointing to us all in turn.

As handshakes were exchanged Fireball asked Dave, “Is that really Bombshell?” to general laughter.

“Yes it is Fireball and you can ask for his side of the story later. As I’m sure we would all love to hear it too.” Dave replied.

Turning serious again he added “However right now I would like to get the answer to your earlier question Fireball.”

“Bill, where was Gabrielle hit and how bad is she hurt.” Dave asked.

At this the colour that had returned to Bill’s face drained away and he replied. “She was hit almost in the middle of her chest by one of those knives you mentioned. It has gone in far enough that it is in danger of coming out the other side of her.”

At this statement Fleur again broke down into tears.

You could almost see Dave, Fireball, Shelly and Cassy switch into the Aurors that they were.

“What was done after she was hit?” Dave asked very intently.

“Fleur put a freezing charm on her like you advised almost at once. Then she and Ginny levitated her into the house and put her on the sofa in the lounge” said Bill, worry clearly showing on his face.

“No one has touched her since? Have you examined the knife for any curses or poisons as yet?”

“There are at least three different curses on the knife that I could detect through the freezing charm. I’m afraid one of them looks like it is indeed an active curse.” Bill answered.

“Can we see her?” Fireball asked of Bill.

Nodding and pointing to the lounge we all got up and went in. From the way he moved Dave was clearly in pain. It was also clear however that he had other worries on his mind at that point.

Gabrielle was laid out on the sofa in the lounge with her hands raised at though casting a spell. Her face still registered the shock of being hit.

Fleur could not bear to look at her little sister and again buried her face into Bills chest.

Dave and Fireball moved to kneel next to Gabrielle’s body. The DA members in the room were clearly wondering who these people were. I could also see a few of them sharing thoughts similar to the ones we had just had in the kitchen.

Dave placed his hands over Gabrielle’s head, close to but not touching her. He closed his eyes for a moment and then moved his hands down her body to the knife that was sticking out from her chest.

All the while his hands were close to but never touching her. During this Fireball had her hand on the back of Dave’s neck and sat like that with her eyes closed while Dave moved his hands over Gabrielle’s body.

Eventually he withdrew his hands and stood up. Beckoning to the Weasley family he moved into the kitchen with Fireball, Shelly and Cassy close behind him.

Once we were all there he closed the door to the lounge, ignoring the questions being asked from inside.

“Ok, the good news is, she is still with us right now. The freezing charm was applied very quickly so the Poison and the Curse haven’t had much time to work.” Dave began.

Everyone breathed a sigh of relief at this news.

“However the bad news is, the knife has gone through her heart and into her left lung.” Fleur fell to her knees and began to almost scream her cries now. The rest of us were also in a state of serious worry as we were all aware of the seriousness of a knife to the heart is.

Bill dropped to the floor to assist his wife. Looking up at Dave he asked, “So there is no hope at all?”

“No Bill there is a degree of hope here. Given that Fleur was able to apply the freezing charm so quickly we have a window of opportunity to work on this.”

“However I do need to know the answers to some rather strange questions first to decide how much hope we have.” He asked Bill and Fleur.

“What do you need to know?” Bill asked.

“Her parents, are they still alive and if so do you know where they are?”

“Our parents are at ‘ome in France, at ze moment.” Fleur replied.

“Can you Apparate that far to get them and bring them here?” Dave asked.

“I have not tried to do it over such a distance before but I am willing to try.” Fleur responded.

“No. Now is not the time for experimenting with things like that. We will get you to your parents very shortly. But I do need you to bring them both back. Having both parents will greatly increase our chances of success.” He added.

“Do you have access to any of Gabrielle’s hair at all? The more recent the better?” he asked.

“Pardon ’er ‘air?” Fleur asked confused.

“Yes her hair, we will need a sample of her hair from before she was hit with that knife.”

“There was hair on her pillow this morning back at Shell Cottage” Bill answered.

“Excellent. Bill can you arrange someone to go and collect this hair. Minimum of three stands the longer the better from this ‘Shell Cottage’?” Dave enquired.

“I will go myself it will not take me long at all.” Said Bill. Keen for something to do.

“No not you Bill. I have another job for you to do, which is slightly more important. Do you have someone else who could go?”

“I’ll go Bill.” Ron answered. “I know your place well and can get the hairs and be back quickly.”

Bill looked at Ron with a grateful look and said, “Thanks Ron”.

“Yes, thanks Ron. However don’t go alone. We don’t know if Shell Cottage has a similar ambush setup to what we just dealt with here. Take 3 or 4 people to go with you.” Dave suggested.

“I’ll go and so will Luna and Neville” Ginny said.

Normally I would have raised objection after objection about Ron and Ginny going off like that but this time I only had one suggestion.

“Ron, Ginny use the Floo that way you won’t need to be outside in case others are indeed there.” I told them.

They both gave me a strange look that seemed to imply the statement ‘who are you and what have you done with our mother’, but they also both nodded grabbed Neville and Luna and left.

“Drunkmouse are you still eves dropping there?” Dave called out to the Mirror Phone that surprisingly was still on and connected.

“There are no eves here Syd, but I’m listening yes.” Was the reply.

“Excellent. Please tell me Nat or Craig have been past to collect their Mirror Phones.” Dave almost pleaded.

“Sorry Syd. They got back in country yesterday (our time) but have not yet been pass to see me or ‘Q’ as yet.” Drunkmouse answered.

Dave let out a string of swear words that made even Kingsley and Chief Williams go pale.

“Ok then. Fireball I need to send you home to track down that wayward sister of ours and her husband. Who is best to go with you?” Asked Dave.

“Guz would be best as he knows Craig’s home better than me.” Fireball said looking slightly annoyed.

“I know you want to stay Fireball, but you know ALL the wards of Nat’s new place. Not all of us have been there as yet. Guz is a good bet that he knows the ones on Craig’s work as well. So it is likely that you two will find them the quickest.”

“Guz, get your butt in here ASAP” Dave called out.

“Was already on the way Syd after I heard myself being ‘volunteered’ by the ‘fiery one’” said a solid looking man who had just walked in off the porch.

“Thanks Guz. You heard the conversation?” Dave asked.

“Correct.” He replied.

“Mrs Weasley can I borrow the door to your scullery for a few moments? It won’t be damaged in any way.” Dave asked.

Startled by this very strange request I could only nod and watch with great curiosity as Dave walked over to the scullery.

He opened it looked inside and when seeing my odd look said, “Just need to make sure no people or animals are in there. As you do not want to be on the wrong side of a doorway.”

With that he touched the door in the middle with an almost loving caress. Then moved his arms up to the top of the door then out to the edges and down to the bottom before bringing his hands together once again and then back up to the middle of the door again.

He touched the door handle and suddenly it changed to a more ornate one with a lock and a key in it. He withdrew the key and looked at it briefly before inserting it again in the lock.

Turning the key he opened the door. The room on the other side of the door was most definitely NOT our scullery. It was a large room that appeared to be a family dining room with a kitchen off to one side. One wall of the room appeared to be almost entirely made of glass and looked out over a night shrouded coastline.

Turning to Fireball and Guz he said, “Looks like mum and dad are not up yet. Go and wake them. Tell them what has happened here and what we are doing about it. Get them to grab anyone they can put their hands on to help track down Nat and Craig. Bring them back to mum and dads as soon as you have got them. Ok”

“No worries Syd.” Was the reply.

“Tell Nat and Craig that we think we have an active curse on that knife and we are on the clock on this. For even with the freezing charm it won’t stop. We can wait only 1hr more at the absolute most before we have to start at this end. Also tell them to bring their usual ‘bag of tricks.”

“Drunkmouse, can you setup a dedicated operator for Fireball and Guz to co-ordinate everything for the search?” Dave asked.

“I can Syd but that is not simple task, your dad might have an issue with it.” Drunkmouse responded.

“He might and if he does I’m happy to speak to him about it. Just let him know that this is for someone that Arthur Weasley introduced as family. Got it!!” he ordered.

“Loud and clear Syd. Being organised now.” He replied.

“Ok you two, take the key and go. Be quick be safe.” Dave said in parting.

They grabbed the key and Dave closed the door. Oddly the key was still in it. I was about to ask about this when Kingsley spoke up.

“Where did they just go?” he asked.

“Home. East coast of Australia” was all Dave said. The look on everyone’s face was nothing but shock.

“How...” Kingsley started to ask before Dave replied. “I will be happy to chat about transport later Minister. Right now we are on the clock and need to get things moving.”

Looking at everyone in the room he asked, “Is this the first time that Gabrielle has been to this house? Have her Parents ever been here before either?”

Bill answered, “She has been here a few times, however I think her parents have only been here for our wedding?” he asked Fleur.

“Oui” she replied.

“Where was the wedding held? Inside or outside?” Dave asked.

“Outside in the yard.” Bill answered.

Turning to Charlie he asked, “Were you here at the wedding?”

“I was the best man, of course I was here.” Came Charlie’s rather confused reply.

“Good news. Can you go into the yard and find me something metal. Doesn’t matter what it is, it just needs to be from the yard and likely to have been here for a while so it is ‘of this place’ does that make sense Charlie?” Dave asked.

“Not really but I think I know just the things. There is a pile of old nails, big ones over near the shed. They have been here as long as I can remember.”

“They sound perfect. Can you go and get me a dozen or so of them, or as many as you can find. It doesn’t matter their condition as long as they are all roughly the same size.” Dave asked.

“On it” he replied before running out the door.

Turning to Fleur Dave said, “I’m going to send you and Shelly to collect your parents. I also need you to gather some hairs from them as well. I will also need hairs from you also, will that be ok?” He asked with a slightly worried expression.

“Eet will not be a problem, Dave. I zink I know zee stories you are zinking of. Zey are not true, eet is ok for a Veela to donate ‘airs. Zough we seldom do.” Fleur said with a smile. Seeing the relief written plain across Dave’s face she continued.

“I know you ‘ave a reason for a zese requests. Zey will ‘elp my sister no?” She asked.

“Yes there is a reason, and they will not only help save your sister but help keep alive those who are going to help us in healing her.” Dave said in a very serious voice.

“Zen it will be done.” She said with some steel showing in her voice.

“My thanks.” Was Dave’s relieved reply.

“Please come with me to the door. Shelly you to.” Dave asked.

“In order to send you to your parents Fleur, I need you to hold my hand and put your other hand on the door handle. Then think of your parents place, but pick a location outside any wards they may have up. We don’t have time to fight through any wards just now.” Dave instructed.

Fleur nodded and held Dave’s hand and then grasped the Door handle. Dave closed his eyes and placed his hand on the middle of the door.

“Is that the location you wish?” he asked Fleur after a moment.

“Oui” was her response.

“Ok then when I ask you, turn the handle and open the door. However as we are opening in a location with no frame please be VERY careful not to touch the edges of the door frame as you step through. If you do you might lose something that could be important later on.” He explained.

Fleur nodded and said ‘Oui, understood.”

After a few moments of concentration Dave spoke again.

“Ok, I have the back of the door to a rock outcropping that should make it safe. So go ahead and open the door please.”

Fleur opened the door to reveal a very ornate garden. “Is this the correct location?” Dave questioned.

“Eet ez” she replied.

“Ok go on through then. Shelly, you grab the key so you can make the return trip once you have her parents. It will work on any normal door with a keyhole as it will be paired with this one.”

“Go now, quickly” he instructed.

They both stepped through the door and Dave closed it.

“Mr and Mrs Weasley, could you both step over here please and remove this key together.” Dave asked.

We both did as asked and removed the key. It felt very odd in my hand and very warm. When we opened our hands we noticed that we each held a key in them.

Smiling Dave said, “This door is now secure. No one can come through it unless one of you use your key to admit them.”

“When those that we have sent through just now are ready, they will put their key in on their side and knock while stating their name. You will be able to hear them clearly. All you need to do is put in your key also and say enter followed by their name. Open the door and they will be able to enter.”

“Once they enter back through the door their key will automatically disappear, as yours are the masters. Unless you command them to keep their key of course.” He explained.

We both nodded our understanding.

Dave turned to the Mirror Phone and said, “Drunkmouse, can you get a hard copy of Nat and Craig’s notes on that incident in Indonesia with the cursed knife and put them in my tray.”

“Already done Syd. Thought you would have asked for those.”

Dave reached into his wallet again and brought out a pile of parchment. He handed this to Bill. “These are the notes my sister and her husband made of a similar knife used on an Indonesian Auror. Unfortunately he died as his body wasn’t discovered in time. But the Indonesian Ministry permitted his body and the knife to be examined in the hope that further losses could be prevented.”

Bill nodded as he accepted the notes from Dave with a rather grave expression.

“If I remember correctly that knife also had multiple curses. One was an active curse and one was a curse that stopped the blood clotting around wounds. Can’t remember what the other curse was though. Hopefully those notes will help you identify what is actually on that knife so it can be dealt with quicker.”

“I understand.” Bill replied and began to read.

“Minister I have a request for you also.” Dave asked Kingsley.

“How can I help?” he replied eagerly.

“I need you to go to your hospital and see if there are any healers who are available to come here to assist. The most difficult challenges with these items is that multiple things are going wrong all at the same time. If we can get people who can work on each problem separately but also work together our chances of success go up significantly.” Dave explained.

“I would like to ask you to see if you can bring back any healers that have as their speciality, internal medicine specifically physical damage to the Heart, Lungs and the Blood. Anyone who specialises in Poisons and a curse damage specialist would be a bonus. We have Bill as our curse breaker, but any help we can get him will be good also. If Nat and Craig get here in time that is our ‘ace in the hole’ as they have more experience with active curses than anyone.”

“A tall order Auror Webb, but I will bring back all that I can.” Kingsley said before he headed off to the fireplace to Floo to St Mungo’s.

“Is that the DA members in the other room with Gabrielle?” Dave asked of me.

“Yes now that your team members have gone they are all DA members.” I answered.

“Can you introduce me to them? I think that they will be able to help as well.” He asked.

“Of course follow me.” I said as I lead him into the lounge.

Opening the door we were meet with a sea of concerned and confused faces. Dean was the first to step forward and ask what was going on with Gabrielle and who our visitors were.

I decided to start by introducing Dave first, “Everyone I would like to introduce you to Auror David Webb of the Australasian Auror Service. He has asked for your help in the attempt that is soon to be made to try and heal Miss Gabrielle Delacour here.”

“Auror Webb, these are Terry Boot, Angela Johnson, Dean Thomas, Katie Bell, Seamus Finnigan, Anthony Goldstein and Cho Chang.” I said pointing to each in turn.

“Luna Lovegood and Neville Longbottom, were the ones who left earlier with Ginny and Ron” I added.

“Longbottom?” Dave asked, “His parents used to be Aurors?”

“I believe they were why?” I replied.

“They might be the ones who helped my mum escape back in 81 after she lost her brothers. I would like to meet him later if at all possible.” He requested.

“We should be able to arrange that.” I told him and he smiled.

“All of these people are in the DA with George, Ron, Hermione, Harry and Ginny. They also all fought at the recent battle at Hogwarts” I told him.

“I’m very pleased to meet all of you” he started, “I have a very strange request to make of you which will help us when we attempt to heal Gabrielle here.”

“One of the curses that we believe is on the knife that she was hit with is a particular nasty one. As it will try to make her feel alone, abandoned and frightened. Doubly so when we begin to directly attack it.”

“In order for us to increase our chances against it we need a ready supply of love and friendship to combat it with.” Dave explained.

“The love that she will require will be provided by her immediate family. The friendship required I’m hoping will be provided by you all.”

“One of the best sources of friendship that can be used is a room full of people happily chatting to each other about shared experiences that brought them together. Nothing major or earth shattering. Just simple everyday things that made you realise you were friends.”

“What I would like for you all to do is stay here if you can and chat with each other about these sort of experiences. Not a party by any means, just a group of people having a collective discussion. Does this make sense to you at all?” Dave asked.

“How will that help fight a curse?” Angelia asked Dave.

“It will setup a… Let’s call it a vibration in the Magic that we are going to attempt that will be beneficial to our goal. That vibration will flow throughout the house. However if we need a stronger amount we will have the door opened to allow more in.” Dave explained.

“What sort of Magic would be affected by such a thing?” Terry asked.

“Very old Magic. Almost ancient you could say.” Was Dave’s reply, “Will you help us?”

With quick looks at each other the DA members present nodded their assent to help.

“You have my thanks.” Dave said almost formally.

“Mrs Weasley, can we get a supply of drinks in here for them as talking in thirsty work. Maybe some snacks as well?” he asked.

“Certainly dear” I replied and I could see it startled him a little.

We went back into the kitchen to find Charlie waiting for us and Ron just emerging from the fire place with the others close behind.

Charlie had placed a set of twelve large nails on the kitchen bench. “Will these do?” he asked Dave.

“Just about perfect. Thanks Charlie” Dave said.

Ron laid on the table a bag he said had four long hairs from Gabrielle’s pillow in Shell Cottage. Dave also thanked him.

Dave arranged the nails from Charlie into groups on the bench. There were four groups of 2 with a single nail placed above each of them.

Taking three of the hairs from the bag Ron had just provided he arranged them in a similar manner to the nails. He then carefully wrapped a single strand of hair around each nail.

Staring at the first nail very intently it began to rise from the bench and then the hair that was wrapped around it began to sink into the nail itself. The nail then started to glow slightly. As the nail started to glow Dave started to make motions with his hands like he was trying to knead the glowing nail as one would bread dough. The nail responded as though it was indeed the dough.

Very soon the nail was a bright golden colour. Dave continued to work on the ‘nail’.

“That looks like Gold.” Ron exclaimed.

“That’s because it now is Gold, Ron. As close to pure as it is possible to be. Also impervious to anything that will try to damage it.” Dave replied to startled gasps from the people in the room.

He kneaded the nail a few more times and then conjured a small wooden rod and began to wrap a thin thread from the golden nail onto it. The amount of golden thread that he got onto the wooden rod was astonishing.

Putting that rod aside he worked the other two nails. These however didn’t turn golden, they were more silver in nature.

“How come they are not gold also?” Ron asked.

“Because I need them to be Silver and Platinum” was Dave’s reply.

Dave then set each of the three rods to weaving with itself into ever thicker thread. While this was happening then was a knocking at the Scullery door and a voice called out, “Auror Shelley Webb requesting entrance. I have with me Fleur and her parents.”

Arthur quickly put his key into the door and said “Enter Auror Shelly Webb” and opened the door.

Out stepped Shelly, Fleur and Fleur’s parents. Fleur quickly introduced her parents to Dave and gave him hairs for each of them.

“Many thanks for these. Please allow me a moment to get these started and then I will explain what we are going to be doing.” Said Dave rather hurriedly.

He quickly repeated the process that he had done with Gabrielle’s hair with the hair from Fleur and her parents. Like us they were also astonished at what he was doing.

Once there were 12 sets of metallic thread weaving themselves Dave turned to Fleur and her parents and explained, “Your daughter Gabrielle has been hit in the chest with a cursed knife. This knife has gone through her heart and into her lungs causing a good deal of damage along the way.”

Madame Delacour almost fainted at this news. Dave however continued to explain, “What you see behind me is preparation to make up a set of talismans. One for each of you. These are to protect you while we work on curing Gabrielle.”

“You will be required to make skin contact with Gabrielle while we work on her. The need for this skin contact is to make it easier for you to call to Gabrielle. To encourage her and to let her know that you love her with all of your heart. This needs to be done with your thoughts not your voice.” He explained, looking at them all for confirmation that they understood.

“As we start to break through the curses Gabrielle will start to respond to your calls. She will ask questions about what is happening and who is around her. As she will be able to sense others in the room with her.”

“When she asks questions they must be answered 100% truthfully. Any falsehood will setup potentially dangerous vibrations. If she asks if it will hurt tell her truthfully ‘Yes’. As this isn’t going to be a pleasant experience by any means.”

“If she asks if it is all going to be alright, tell her you don’t know. But that we are all working very hard to make it that way.” He almost commanded.

“Can you do this?” he asked.

“Oui. We can and will.” Came the reply from Monsieur Delacour.

“That is great news sir. Please all of you make yourself comfortable as I need to finish these and we are waiting on our healers to join us.”

Dave turned back to the talismans behind him. They had now spun themselves into something resembling a thin but wide metallic rope. Taking the three thin metal ropes from the first set Dave began a complicated weave with them that left a very beautiful pattern in a band about thickness of two fingers.

He left the ropes weaving each other and did the same for the other sets.

Very quickly the ropes were all woven on each of them. Dave then ‘fused’ (as he called it) the ends of each strip. This resulted in there being on the bench four strips of beautifully woven metallic material. That was the only way I can describe them.

Dave picked them up and handed them to Monsieur Delacour. Here are your talismans, please don’t put them on just yet. You will be able to feel which one is yours as it contains your own hair in it.

I would like you all to hold them for a time each and while doing so think about all that you love about each other.

Nodding Monsieur Delacour accepted the talismans from Dave and closed his eyes while holding them to his chest.

Dave got up and went for a drink of water, saying “Its thirsty work.”

“Cassy, can you act as scribe for this? As Nat will want to know everything that happened, when and in what order when she gets here.” Dave asked.

“Of course” she replied.

Kingsley arrived back with two healers.

Kingsley introduced them as Healer Jones and Healer White. Healer White specialised in the treatment of the heart and lungs while Healer Jones specialised in the treatment of Poisons.

He brought them into the kitchen where they were quickly briefed on the situation with Gabrielle.

“Can’t be done I’m afraid” was the rather stiff response from Healer White after he had been informed of the damage to Gabrielle’s heart and lungs.

“What do you mean it can’t be done?” Dave rounded on the healer before anyone else could speak.

“I thought that as a Healer you could ‘heal’ damaged heart tissue?”

“I certainly can Auror Webb, but I can’t while there is a knife sticking in it. Each time her heart moves it will just damage itself against the knife again.” Healer White went on in a rather pompous voice.

“That presents a simple solution Healer White. Stop her heart while you work on it.” Dave responded.

Healer white fixed Dave with a look of purest loathing and replied, “I wouldn’t expect a simple Auror to understand this, but the heart must keep beating in order pump blood around the body. If it stops she will die.”

“Not necessarily, Healer white.” Dave replied. “It is the movement of the blood around the body and it’s oxygenation in the lungs that is important here. Not the movement of the heart.”

“The heart can be stopped to work on it. Muggle surgeons do it all the time. Surely you are more capable than a muggle are you not?” Dave replied in a direct challenge to Healer White.

Pointing to himself and Shelly Dave continued, “We can arrange it so that her blood will still circulate and her lungs will still oxygenate her blood as well. That will enable both the lungs and the heart to be stopped so that they can be worked on.”

“Will that present a sufficiently still set of organs for you to work on Healer White?” Dave asked rather intently.

“Magic can’t do what you propose Auror Webb. It’s unheard of.” Healer White exclaimed.

“It can Healer White. It’s still magic, just not as you know it. As it is old magic, very old.” Dave explained.

“Sorcery!” Healer White said in shock, “I will not participate in heathen Dark Magic.”

“The core of what we are going to do here ‘Healer’ White is the oldest and most pure and powerful magic that there is. Do you know what that is?” prompted Dave, while searching Healer White’s face.

“I concern myself with only what I know I can do Auror Webb. Not fairy tales.” Healer White rebuffed.

“It is love Healer White. The most powerful of all the magical energies. Also the most pure and challenging to control. But one that we have all been touched by at some point in our lives.” Explained Dave.

“You must be able to feel it. Even a ‘simple Auror’ like me can feel its power in this room.” Said Dave as he turned to take in the people in the room.

When he looked back at Healer White I noticed that Dave’s eyes again had a slight golden tint to them.

“If you focus Healer White and concentrate you can even see the bonds of love that exist here.”

Pointing to the Delacour Family he said, “They almost shine with it. The bonds between them are strong and deep. The bonds between Fleur and Bill are also equally powerful.”

“That is one of the most remarkable things about love Healer White, it can be shared almost infinitely. Strong deep bonds between close family members do not stop one from making new bonds with your chosen one. In fact they often strengthen them.”

“Young love or old, the bonds will prevail. Case in point here.” He said pointing to Ron who went a little pale at being singled out.

“This young man. Ron has very significant bonds with his family. But that has not stopped him forming a new bond with Hermione here. While it is a new bond it shows all the signs of growing as deep and strong as his parents bond.”

Ron and Hermione both had rather shy smiles on their faces at this statement.

“Young Ginny here is another literally shining example. Her chosen one” at this comment Ginny and a few of the others smiled and giggled a little, “is not even here in the room and the bond between them still shows. Fiercely bright. It is new and they are still learning but I can almost see it growing just watching it.” He said with a kind of wonder.

“Do you not understand that power Healer White? When given freely to help others that power is truly a force to be reckoned with.”

“Will you help us Healer White? Even with all this love, we still have many things to fix in the young lady who needs our help. Teamwork will magnify our ability to respond to the challenges that we are going to face. So I ask again, will you help us?” Dave asked with a desperate kind of hope on his face.

“I will not risk my reputation by participating in a crack pot scheme hatched by an Auror who is pretending to be Healer” shrieked Healer White.

“Your reputation?” exclaimed Dave, “We are not here for your reputation! We are here to help a young woman who has been badly injured Healer White.”

“Her life is more of a concern to me that your bloody reputation. Now will you fulfil your Healer’s oath and help us or not?” Dave asked again.

“My reputation is as dear to me as my soul Auror Webb” I will do nothing to risk it.

“Your soul?” Dave said as once again he was surrounded by a halo of golden flame. This time his eyes also turned solid gold, no trace of the previous brown or even the white remained. Startling everyone in the room in the process and frightening Healer White backwards.

“Your soul has nothing to do with your reputation.” He thundered, while he walked towards the still retreating Healer White.

“I can see your soul Healer White. It is as plain to me as the nose on your face. I can also see the damage you have done to it when you turned away those difficult cases. Preferring to bask in past glories rather than challenge yourself to help the patient’s right in front of you.”

“If you truly valued your soul you would have taken those cases. For even had you failed your soul would have revelled in the fact that you tried and gave it your all. Even your patients would have been grateful for your efforts.”

“But no instead you chose to turn them out into the cold. Rejected their pleas. Crushed their souls as they felt their self-worth be diminished. And scarred your own soul in the process.” He said with the air of a man who seemed to know he was fighting a losing battle, but was still determined to go on.

“I would think that I know the state of my own soul better than a crack pot like you” Healer White snapped.

“Perhaps you would like me to remove your soul and show it to you? That way we would all be able to see it and judge its current state, hmm.” Dave thundered.

When Healer White refused to answer Chief Williams spoke up.

“Syd! There is no need to tear Healer White’s soul from his body. We will take him back and get a different Healer.”

“Good idea Boss. Let’s get rid of this useless excuse for a Healer. While you’re at St Mungo’s look for a Healer Grant, he apparently works with Healer White.”

“Healer White here is thinking of him as someone who cares more for the patient than their reputation. That sounds exactly like the type of Healer we want right now.” Said Dave still eyeing Healer white with open contempt.

“Healer White, for your information I qualified as a Healer. As in addition to my regular Auror duties I also provide emergency medical care for my team.”

“I also have nothing but contempt for people like you who seem to have no regard for their patients. Get out of my sight.” He snapped as his eyes turned back to normal and the golden flames went out.

As Kingsley and Chief Williams began to move Healer White to the fireplace Dave called to them, “Boss, I’m guessing we have about 30mins before we need to start. Even with the freezing charm the curses and poisons are spreading.”

Nodding their understanding Kingsley and Chief Williams hurried to the fire place and almost threw Healer White into it.

“Healer Jones, can you help us?” Dave asked of the rather nervous looking Healer who was still with us.

“I don’t know Auror Webb. But I would like to. I need to see the patient to give a realistic answer” he explained.

“Good answer” was the not so quiet response from George.

Healer Jones and Dave both got a chuckle from this along with a few others in the room.

“Most certainly Healer Jones. Monsieur Delacour, may Healer Jones here examine your daughter?” Dave requested.

“But of course he may.” Was the reply.

Monsieur Delacour, Healer Jones and Dave all went into the lounge room where Gabrielle still lay.

“Blimey, that was intense” said Ron while wiping the sweat from his forehead.

“Can he really see what he claimed?” Ron asked of Shelly and Cassy who had remained quiet throughout the confrontation.

“Of course he can.” Shelly replied. “If fact he isn’t the only one who can see it.” She said as her own eyes turned golden while she stared at Ron. Cassy’s eyes also briefly flashed a golden hue across them as well.

“What is it that you actually see when you look like that?” Hermione asked clearly afire with curiosity.

Thinking for a moment while everyone was watching her intently Shelly eventually replied, “Magic. More correctly the energy OF Magic.”

“That is the simplest way I can think of to explain it. It takes a great deal of study and practise to read what that energy actually means. But that is the core of it.” She explained.

“I can’t read a soul as well as Syd can. He can’t read them as well as mum, well not yet anyway. Mum can even to a degree read inherited Genetic memories in a person.”

“But I can read love better than Syd can, and almost as well as mum.”

“We all see the world differently and we all have different talents. But as Syd mentioned, it is when we all combine our unique views and talents that is when the REAL magic begins.” She said with a smile.

“That is probably one of Syd’s greatest strengths. His ability to get people to work together and his willingness to work with just about anyone or thing to get the job done.”

“It’s why he makes such a great team leader, and why we all willingly follow him. Despite his age.” She replied almost thoughtfully.

“What’s his age got to do with it?” Hermione asked.

“Nothing. Sorry, my thoughts wondered there for a moment.” She quickly covered.

The fire place flared and Kingsley and Chief Williams stepped back into the room with a different Healer accompanying them.

Monsieur Delacour, Healer Jones and Dave also came back in to the room looking a little worried.

“What’s wrong?” Fleur and Madam Delacour both asked at the same time.

“A small complication.” Healer Jones replied.

“I could detect the poison in the knife and in Gabrielle. It is one I have seen before. However the antidote takes 2 weeks to make and doesn’t last for long.” He answered as the colour drained from both Fleur and her mother.

“I don’t mean to alarm you ladies.” He added hastily. “Auror Webb here had a suggestion on what we could try and I think it will work. However it will cause a good deal of discomfort to Gabrielle.”

“He is reluctant to try it without her permission” he explained.

“’ow do you intend to get ‘er permission Dave?” Fleur enquired.

“The old fashioned way. I’m going to have to ask her and explain what we will need to do. If she agrees it should work. If she doesn’t and she tries to fight us then everything might fail.”

“W’at do you need to do?” Fleur asked.

“Change her blood into something else. Something hostile to the poison in her. The catch is, it will also be hostile to her as well. Although not as much.” He explained with a worried frown.

“S’e will agree, s’e is a fighter.” Fleur said with confidence.

Seeing the new arrivals in the room Dave went to introduce himself and Healer Jones. There was a rather hurried conference as they briefed the new healer on the situation.

After another quick examination of Gabrielle the new healer who was indeed Healer Grant and a proud Scot to boot agreed to assist with the attempt.

After this things began to move quickly.
Reviews 19
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear