Search:

SIYE Time:12:18 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Aether Continuum Part 1
By Zaphren

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Other
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: Death, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 53
Summary: Two mysterious beings that claim to be Nephalem send Harry's soul back in time to fix the mistakes of the powerful and save his world from more than just Voldemort. This is a change in the Time Travel trope where Harry originally never went to Hogwarts, where events spiraled out of control and Voldemort had risen with the Philosophers Stone and Diary Riddle forced another side to the conflict.
Hitcount: Story Total: 51882; Chapter Total: 1561





Author's Notes:
Here we are, and I do want to say before continuing that I hope to at least update once a month. Now, this mysterious man is going to stay that way. We'll be seeing him between each school year, but not always in the same way nor with the same people. Also this should show you how close of an eye our Nephalem are keeping on our favorite wizard, and maybe other things. Next chapter will be small, but it's going to be about what Dumbledore's been up to, as he did leave to go somewhere in the prologue, then we'll be off towards Hogwarts! That should be it, hope you all enjoyed the chapter and we'll be seeing each other (not sure how...) next month!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Year 2, Chapter 3: Subtle Confusion


“On the Earth I grew up on, in one of the other universes, the history between it and the one here in the Dracona Universe are incredibly similar. I wish I could explore the other universes and see how similar their histories are to ours.

“Just from what I have experienced, though Ikelius disregards any theory of such a thing, that there is some form of higher power that works to keep events as close to what It deems should be. I fear that the Aether Continuum spell may have angered this being and It will find a way to punish us.”

From the journal of Kesh’rak, Chapter 46, Page 937.


************************** **************************************** **********************************


Harry stumbled out of the floo, mentally cursing at having to use this form of magical travel. It also didn’t help that the twins had gone ahead and were now chortling at what they witnessed. He was steadying himself at the nearest table when he heard two things. One was the floo activating as another member of the Weasleys came through, and the second was a soft thud coming from the directions of the twins.

“It wasn’t that funny, Fred.” Hermione was standing next to the two boys, and though her voice sounded as though it was scolding, the smile on her face said otherwise.

From behind him, Harry heard Ginny greet the other girl. Once Ron, Percy, and their parents came through, the group was introduced to Mr. and Mrs. Granger. Naturally, Mr. Weasley rocketed of questions for Hermione’s father, which the muggle man answered once his daughter gave him a small nod. The group entered Diagon Alley and headed to Gringotts bank to gather enough money to begin their shopping for Hogwarts.

Upon exiting the bank into the blinding sunlight the group split up, Mr. Weasley took Mr. Granger back to the Leaky for drinks and to talk ‘all things muggle’ as the ecstatic balding redhead exclaimed, while Mrs. Weasley went with Mrs. Granger and Percy to the Apothecary, making everyone to promise to meet up at Flourish and Blotts in an hour. The younger six split into two groups, Harry being roped in by the twins to join them in Gambol and Japes, while Ron, Hermione, and Ginny leave to get her a new cauldron, as the one originally planned for her was found to have a rusted hole in it. Agreeing to meet up at Quality Quidditch Supplies afterwards, the final six split as well.

As Harry and the twins entered the shop, with a bell tinkering softly to announce their entrance, Fred pulled Harry back towards the back. George split off at the sight of their friend, Lee Jordan, leaving the other two to browse the wares in a quiet corner.

“So, Harry. What’s brewing for trouble this year?” The older boy asked. “And how’s my sister involved?”

Harry looked up with a raised eyebrow. “What makes you say she will be?”

“I’ve seen you watching her, like you think at any moment she’s going to disappear. That or you’re entirely too mature and looking at her differently. We’d have to pummel you if that’s the case.”

The raven haired boy scoffed, but words from years ago echoed in his mind like they had been all summer. ‘Ginevra will be the beginning.’ Sighing, he shook his head. “I’m not sure, Fred. Last year, with Shadow putting her in a position to be involved has me afraid of what will happen this year.” Fred nodded, and Harry had a sudden thought occur.

“Can I count on you and George to keep an eye on her? I’m afraid I may be too busy to keep an eye on her all of the time.” Fred pulled a small box of Dr. Filibuster’s Fabulous Wet-Start, No-Heat Fireworks off the shelf, then motioned for Harry to follow. The older boy led him up to the counter, where they quickly made the purchase, nodded to George to signify they were leaving, then exited the shop.

They walked outside and once his twin caught up, Fred answered Harry’s question. “Course we will. We were already planning to watch her as well as Ron and Hermione.”

“Hermione, eh? Something happening there?” Harry asked with a smirk. While Fred sputtered, George cackled and patted his brother on the back. Before he could continue, they were hailed from behind.

“Hey you three, what kind of trouble should we expect to be dragged into?” Harry turned around to see Ginny, Ron, and Hermione, the lone boy was carrying his sisters cauldron, walking towards them. Harry raised his eyebrow at the cauldron cradled in Ron’s arm, but the boy just shrugged.

“C’mon, let’s hit Quality Quidditch Supplies. I heard they have an article on the new broom that’s coming out.” George said, leading the group past the stalls that littered the alleyway. While all of the other three Weasleys perked up and began to talk about the sport, Harry and Hermione just rolled their eyes. Harry could enjoy watching the sport, but it definitely wasn’t one of favorite subjects.


************************* **************************************** ***********************************



It was nearing the time that the six would need to meet with everyone else at Flourish and Blotts. Gathering the Weasleys and Hermione, Harry then led the way to the bookstore. As the bookstore came into sight, someone knocked Harry down onto the pavement. He heard his friends shout for him. Sitting up, he saw the person who had knocked him down was holding his hands up defensively.

The man was most likely in his early twenties, and he was bald despite his youth. He sported a goatee, which was brown. He wore a large black trench coat and spoke with an American accent.

“I’m so sorry, didn’t see you there. If you’ll er… let me help your friend up?” His voice had a slight nasally tone to it, and he spoke quickly. When his friends nodded, the man reached down and pulled Harry up. “We must speak, Mr. Potter, alone.” His voice was whispered so low that Harry almost thought he hadn’t heard it at all. Looking into the mans strikingly blue eyes, however, dispelled any doubt he had. “Are you ok? I didn’t break anything in my haste, did I?”

“No, I’m fine. You guys head inside. I need a moment.” Harry said to his friends. The twins looked at each other, while Ron and Hermione looked skeptical at their friend. Ginny was looking at the bald man with mistrust, her eyes narrowed. With a nod from Harry, the older four entered the shop. The youngest Weasley had not made to follow and instead moved closer to Harry, looking at him with worry. “Really, Ginny. I’m fine.”

She frowned. “I’ll tell you later.” Harry whispered into her ear. She gave him a look that clearly said, ‘you better,’ before following the rest of the group into the bookstore. Harry looked up to the bald man, who was now cleaning out one of his ears with one of his fingers. “So, you said you wanted to talk?”

The man looked up, then around in surprise, as if he’d forgotten where he was. “I did?” He looked at Harry for a moment, those blue eyes felt like they were piercing into his very soul. “Oh. right, I’ve already ran into you. Yes, forgot about that. So much to do, so very many places to be. It’s hard to keep it straight…”

The green eyed boy waited expectantly for a few seconds until it became clear the bald man wasn’t going to continue. “You were saying?”

“Hmm? Ah yes, let’s see here… Harry Potter… AHA! Yes, the center of the Aether Continuum ritual. Messy business that, throwing an entire galaxy like that. Must say I wasn’t expecting that, third time must be the lucky charm! For once, Ikelius did what I wanted and stopped doing what the book says.” At the mention of the Ritual, Harry had pulled out his wand, but the name that the man said caused the boy to stop.

“Who’s Ikelius? What book? And who exactly are you?”

“Riiiight, you don’t know his name yet.” The man laughed. “He refers to himself as ‘A shadow of what he once was’, but really, it’s a bit of a cliché, don’t you think?” As the man spoke, his hands would move about sporadically in front of him, as if warding off bugs. “This book, it has everything, but it doesn’t exist, not here at least. But also here, over that way.” He waved his hand westward. “Ikelius must not do as the book says.” He spoke this last bit quieter, as if he meant to say it to himself. Or he could have forgotten that Harry was there again. That was most likely.

The bald man pauses for a moment, considering the last question. “You are an odd one, Mr. Potter. Not many Wards have asked who I am, and unfortunately, I have no way of answering that. It reveals too much and those who read the book would not like it at all. No, it must remain in here!” He tapped his bald head, then stroked his goatee and once more pierced Harry with his eyes.

“The ritual changed things, Mr. Potter, but not everything. There are things that cannot change, no matter who helms the ship. I’ll see you, right here, in a year, and bring that girl. I like her…” He paused, considering. “That didn’t sound very good, did it?” Harry shook his head slowly. “Thought not, but don’t let her walk away next time. She’s important!” At that, the man grinned before fleeing into Flourish and Blotts. Stunned, Harry stood for a moment before following, determined to find the man, but he’d already disappeared into the massive crowd that filled the book shop.


***************************** **************************************** *******************************


La rs sat lazily, watching one of the many screens that surrounded him. Well, he wasn’t exactly watching them, but more so that he was listening to them. In fact, his eyes were closed, trying to enjoy the small amount of rebellion he could exert against Ikelius. When the man had come back from his ‘meeting’, he instantly knew what Lars had done, berating him and just overall being, as Kesh’rak used to say before he turned all… demony, a massive douche.

No, his main punishment was having to sit here, in front of the all these bloody screens watching teenagers be… well, teenagers. AND IT WAS BORING! Boring was dangerous when it came to Lars, because when things became boring, he would think thoughts that were much better of being left behind and forgotten. Like right now, he was remembering the loneliness from his childhood, when his father… No, no, no, he was not going to go there.

Fortunately for Lars, a small amount of fate would give him reprieve, and one of the screens flickered into a black and grey static image. Opening his eyes, then staring unseeingly at said screen for a few seconds, the Nephalem checked the other one, which still showed the massive forest it had shown the past few months, before finally jumping up and shouting. “Hey Ike! Kesh! C’mere a minute, we've got a problem!”

Mere seconds passed before the two other beings dashed into the room. In those few seconds Lars had already shrank down, reverting to his human form. They had discussed this before, that if there was ever a need to return to Earth, Lars would be the one to go and to do so in his “human form”. Sure, he’d still be taller than most humans at nearly seven feet tall, but at least his hair wouldn’t be a crazy color, eyes would be more almond shaped, and he wouldn’t have massive wings poking out of his back. Those last things were a definite give away.

“Get the teleporter ready, Kesh. I’m going to need to be ready for combat in a populated area. They were in that one place where all their kind shop for spell books at stuff… Dagonally or something.” The demon was speeding through the wall of switches while Lars rushed around, grabbing two new dagger-like weapons and his leather-like armor that would suit someone of human size better.

The Nephalem was just stepping up into the designated area for teleporting when Ikelius spoke. “Cancel transport, it’s a false alarm.” The two stared at the robed Nephalem, Lars huffing from his exertion.

“What!?” Lars exclaimed.

“I’ve seen this before, once when I was observing while you were with one of our Wards. It was when he spoke with you.”

Confusion, that was what Lars felt, but then recognition dawned on him. That man, the one Ike kept killing but he would always reappear, looking the same and spouting that nonsense about some book. Sometimes he would remember dying, others he wouldn’t have clue who they were, but his words were always the same. ‘Don’t do what the book tells you’.

“You’re absolutely certain?” Lars was shaking. He was not going to be responsible for losing another Ward. The last time it had happened had been brutal and it had taken years to find a way to not think about it.

“Yes, Lars. Marovan doesn’t have the power nor the knowledge to affect this ship.” As he spoke, the screen that was meant to show Harry Potter flickered back to the boy. He was surrounded by people in a bookstore, looking around, searching for something and his face showed his frustration.

“Ah, that man. There’s only one person who could leave someone with that look on their face.” Kesh’rak said, as who they were speaking of became clear to him. “I thought you killed him, Ike.”

The red eyed Nephalem growled. “Multiple times.”


*************************** **************************************** *********************************


H arry was looking around the bookstore, trying to find the bald man. There was a strange power that Harry had been able to feel, just before he’d left his sight, but the force he had felt was incredible. Now, however, the man had completely disappeared from sight and Harry couldn’t feel the power anymore.

Giving up, Harry spotted the Weasley family in a massive line, which he presumed was to purchase their books. Joining them, he stood next to Ginny and had to nearly shout as he asked. “Why’s it so busy in here?” His friend just pointed up ahead to a table that was next to the register, where a man with curly blond hair was signing books. Groaning and rolling his eyes, Harry decided that instead of waiting in line, he would grab a surprise for Ginny. He still had not gotten her a gift for her birthday which was in a few days. Unfortunately, his plan had met a snare before he could even begin to implement it, as the girl followed him.

“Don’t you want an autograph from Gilderoy Lockhart?”

“Not really. There’s also the fact that if I do want it, I’ll have the entire school year to ask for one.” Ginny blinked in confusion before realization at what Harry meant dawned upon her face. Shrugging, Harry continued. “Apparently, Dumbledore went out of his way to ask Lockhart to teach Defense Against the Dark Arts. If you ask the other professors that knew him while he attended Hogwarts, they’ll say that while he was smart, he wouldn’t try unless he had the best grades.”

As Harry talked, he was pulling off all of the books off of Ginny’s first year list and placing them into a basket he’d retrieved along the way, many were in the pre-owned sections. When he finished, they made their way around the line of witches waiting to get their books signed by the famous author. Before moving up to the counter to purchase the books, Harry made sure his scar was covered. He really didn’t want to deal with Lockhart right now, especially as he knew the man would be announcing his new position on the Hogwarts staff today.

Finished his purchase, with a small nod to the young woman behind the counter, Harry then moved away from the counter before proffering the books to Ginny. “Happy early birthday.”

Her eyes widened and her mouth formed into a silent ‘oh’. “Harry! I can’t… you can’t…” She sputtered for a moment before taking a deep breath. “Thank you, Harry, but my mother isn’t going to appreciate your charity.”

His smile lessened, “It’s not just for your birthday, and I know you won’t accept it, but I needed to pay you back for ignoring you those five months last year.” Harry rubbed his neck nervously. “Don’t think I’ll always do something with money to pay you back, I just wanted to help out your family somehow as well as apologize.”

Before Ginny could respond, a drawling voice called out from behind them. “What’s this, Potter? Buying gifts for your girlfriend?” Quickly turning around, Harry unconsciously placed himself in front of Ginny.

Draco Malfoy was smirking as he leaned against one of the bookcases, his arms folded. Harry watched him for a few seconds with calculated eyes before responding. “What do you want, Malfoy?” The blonde boy continued to smirk, and he whispered under his breath something that sounded like ‘...not even denying it’.

“What’s the matter, is Harry too beneath you to respond?” Ginny snarled, but Harry held up a hand before she could say anymore.

“I’ll deal with him, Ginny.” He turned back to the boy, and as their attention was on the young man, neither noticed the adult sidle up from behind and slip a small book into the basket containing all the books. “Is it because you can’t cause me trouble at school, that you have to do so during the summer? Tsk, tsk, Draco, I thought your parents raised you better than that.”

“We did.” Harry and Ginny jumped in shock, and Draco’s face paled as the cool, calm voice spoke from behind them. Lucius Malfoy was standing behind them, his hands folded on top of the cane he held. “Draco, I believe I’ve mentioned to not cause any trouble to young Mr. Potter. He, after all, has many responsibilities at Hogwarts due to his unique position.” The elder Malfoy looked down at Harry. “He hasn’t been trouble for you, I hope.”

Harry’s brows furrowed in confusion for a moment. He still didn’t trust Lucius, especially since the man wouldn’t do anything without some form of gain. He may be looking for favor from Harry, but nothing so far had presented itself. “No sir, Draco hasn’t been troublesome, though many of the students have claimed that he’s been bothering them. I hope, sir, that you could possibly help to prevent that from happening this year?”

“Of course, Mr. Potter. It wouldn’t do to have the son of a school Governor to be involved with such rumors.” He gave Draco a look that caused the young blonde to blush and lower his gaze. “Come, Draco, my business is finished. Your mother wished to spend the evening together. I do hope the rest of your summer vacation is uneventful, Mr. Potter.” The two left the shop, with the older Malfoy having completely ignored Ginny.

Harry watched them closely until they’d left his sight. Before he could do anything else, however, a cry rang out in the direction from the head of the line of those waiting for book signing. “Great Scott! It’s Harry Potter!”

“Damn it…” Harry’s shoulders slumped in defeat, before Lockhart wrapped his arms around the boy, pushing Ginny to the side as multiple cameras flashed.
Reviews 53
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear