Search:

SIYE Time:11:47 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Dimensions of the Soul
By ShawdowWriterMSP

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-Hogwarts
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 15
Summary: The war was won, but everything was lost. Now Harry is alone with nothing but the ringing in his head reminding him of what he lost. But when a dimensional rift appears in his living room, he may just find a way back to her. To his soul mate. Only in this new dimension, war is still raging. Will Harry be forced to fight once more? (Soul-bond fic, dimension-fic. As seen on fanfiction[dot]net)
Hitcount: Story Total: 11849; Chapter Total: 1793





Author's Notes:
Well, I meant to keep posting over here more regularly, but time got away from me, as it so often does. Either way, here is chapter 3. Enjoy! :)




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Harry woke up in pain. He lay there, confused, as he did a quick inventory of his current state. His magical core appeared to be almost completely depleted but he appeared to have no physical injuries. As he pondered this, it all came back to him in a rush. The portal-like magical disturbance, the sensation akin to apparition only much worse, then Professor Dumbledore?

Harry sat up sharply. He remembered why he had stepped into the portal. Ginny. He could feel Ginny once more. She was distant though, and he could tell she wasn't in the same house. Thinking of the house, Harry finally looked around the small bedroom he found himself in. It was rather dark, gloomy with a definite theme of black in the décor. Harry realised he must be in Grimmauld Place but how did he get here? And why did he remember Dumbledore? If this was the afterlife, why would it be so depressing and devoid of his closest family.

Getting up from the bed, Harry made his way over to the door, intending to get answers. Before he reached it, however, it made a strange sound Harry recognised as having wards lowered, before swinging open. The fact that Harry was warded in was immediately forgotten though as he took in the person standing in the now open doorway.

Albus Dumbledore stood, resplendent in fine purple robes with stars twinkling around the hemline. But this was lost on Harry who was studying his old mentors face. A face that seemed much older, more weary and lined than Harry ever remembered seeing it. There was no twinkle in this man's eyes and he looked like a man who had lost hope but was too stubborn to give up.

It occurred to Harry that Dumbledore had said something to him while he was too wrapped up in taking in the unexpected sight of his dead mentor.

"Umm, sorry?" he said, snapping back into reality to find Dumbledore smiling at him.

"I asked if I might come in and have a chat with you, my boy," Dumbledore said cheerfully dismissing the fact that Harry had completely ignored him the first time.

"Oh, umm, sure," Harry said eloquently, waving Dumbledore in as he returned to sit on the bed.

With a flick of his wand, the aged wizard conjured a plush purple armchair and sat down facing Harry. It was silent as they stared at one another. After a short time, Harry felt a familiar tingle in his eyes that he recognised as legilimency. He didn't even blink as his mind was completely surrounded by the void that used to be his Ginny.

Dumbledore quickly stopped his mental intrusion, a flicker of confusion showing briefly on his face.

"I believe I haven't introduced myself, I am Albus Dumbledore, headmaster of Hogwarts. I imagine you're a little confused as to where you are and how you got here," he said.

Harry frowned, "Sir, we've known each other since I was eleven."

"Ah, have we? If you would humour an old man and tell me your name perhaps?" Dumbledore said mildly.

Harry stood up sharply from the bed and glared at the intruder.

"Who are you? And how did you get into my house?" he said harshly.

"Your house?" the old man asked, looking genuinely surprised.

"This is Grimmauld Place, isn't it?" Harry asked. "I've owned it since Sirius -"

He broke off, his mind whirling. If this man before his really was Dumbledore, then maybe Sirius would be alive too. He focused again on the man in front of him.

"You say you're Dumbledore. Can you prove it?" Harry said cautiously.

"Certainly," said Dumbledore, "But I'm afraid it may not be so easy. You see, this isn't the world you know. Tell me, are you familiar with the concept of multiple dimensions?"

"Well, Hermione did come across them in some of her research but we never actually used the information," Harry replied. His eyes widened as he thought about the implications of what Dumbledore had just asked. "You mean you are actually Dumbledore?"

Dumbledore chuckled, "Yes, that I am. Would I be able to ask you who you are now?"

"I still want proof," Harry said flatly. "You'll have to forgive my caution, I've been fighting a war for too long now."

Dumbledore stiffened at the mention of a war.

"What proof might I give that you would accept?" he asked.

Harry stopped to think. He couldn't easily ask about Dumbledore's preferences, in this world he may prefer strawberry jam, for example. He may have never become interested in the Deathly Hallows, and may not have the Elder Wand. Really, what could prove it to him?

"Can you summon Fawkes to you, sir?"

"Ah, you know of Fawkes?" Dumbledore exclaimed, sounding delighted. "Of course, my boy, an excellent way to prove my identity and my support of the Light!"

After a brief moment of concentration by Dumbledore, a brilliant red and gold bird, about the size of a swan, appeared in the room with a burst of flames.

"Fawkes!" Harry cried. He hadn't seen the phoenix now for many years, not since his own Dumbledore had died.

Fawkes gently alighted on the bed next to Harry and trilled at him. Harry felt a rush of warmth flow through him as he calmed down, stroking the bird's long feathers.

"Good to see you again," he whispered quietly to the phoenix.

"You seem to be quite familiar with my phoenix there, Mr…" Dumbledore said.

Harry sighed.

"Fawkes helped to save my life one time. And that of my…friend," he broke off just before calling Ginny by name or referring to her as his soulmate. "But, I am confused professor, this may be an alternative dimension, but why do you not know me?"

Dumbledore leaned back in his chair, looking wary at Harry's continued avoidance of his identity.

"Well, I can of course make a very good guess based of your appearance alone, but if I am correct, your counterpart died in this world many years ago. I can only guess that you may be the son of Lily and James Potter. That being the case, I am somewhat confused as to why it is you that was summoned here."

"Who were you expecting?" Harry said, frowning.

"Well, we were rather hoping to summon an alternate Neville Longbottom to help take down Lord Voldemort," Dumbledore stated.

"So, you wanted the Boy-Who-Lived to fulfill your prophecy, is that it?" Harry asked bitterly.

Dumbledore sat up straighter and looked at Harry with a piercing gaze.

"Neville wasn't the Boy-Who-Lived in your world, was he? You're not just a child of Lily and James, you're Harry, aren't you?" he said quietly.

"You always were a clever one, professor," Harry said. He paused before, "Sir, you said my counterpart died in this world. Was that on Halloween 1981?"

Dumbledore sighed to himself.

"No. The Harry of this world died a hero saving Ginevra Weasley from the Chamber of Secrets. He was bitten by a Basilisk in the process, and the venom spread much too fast to be saved. Even Fawkes here was unable to help."

"But Ginny survived?" Harry said, leaning forwards. "She's okay?"

Whatever reaction Harry was expecting, seeing Dumbledore lean back and fix him with a suspicious glare was not it.

"What is your interest in young Miss Weasley, if I may ask?" the professor said with a cool tone.

Harry blinked in surprise.

"That is rather personal," he said neutrally. "I should like to see her."

"I don't think that is a good idea, I'm afraid," Dumbledore said. "You'll forgive me, but you are something of a wild card just now. You aren't who we tried to summon, and I know nothing about you. Since the ordeal in the Chamber, Miss Weasley has been…fragile, to say the least. And when Lord Voldemort recently learned of her involvement with his old diary, he became rather interested in kidnapping her for some reason of his own. If we add to this that somehow you have the strangest occlumency I have ever seen, I am not entirely inclined to just trust you. Especially given that only Miss Weasley herself has the same occlumency, I may wonder if you didn't somehow disrupt the ritual to gain access to her in some scheme of Lord Voldemort's. You say you were fighting a war; so are we. And we must be cautious."

Happy just gaped at the man.

"So, I can't see her because she's fragile, and I have occlumency barriers?" he said, incredulously.

"If you can prove to us that you are on our side, and fight this war with us, then we will be glad to send you back to your world," Dumbledore said with a note of finality.

Harry stood, and let the life that had leached back into his character at the feel of Ginny alive in the world drain away again. He looked down at the headmaster, cold green eyes boring into piercing blue. Dumbledore shifted ever so slightly, struggling to hide a note of discomfort.

"You pulled me from my home, and dragged me into this war of yours. As you say, the prophecy was different in my world; I am the Boy-Who-Lived," he said coldly, pushing back his fringe to display his lightning bolt scar. "If you want my help, you'll let me see Ginny first. Until then, I will not fight for you."

Dumbledore now stood too, and let the chair behind him disappear.

"It seems we are at an impasse then," the old man said. "The wards on this room are particularly effective, so I do hope you'll reconsider."

With that, Dumbledore turned and strode out of the room, closing the door behind him. A momentary soft glow around the edges indicated the wards on the room being raised to lock Harry in once more.

Harry simply stood in shock. What had happened in this world to make Dumbledore so distrusting. The man who was criticised for giving people too many chances to redeem themselves. He shook his head, not understanding what must have changed. From what he could gather, both Neville, and his own counterpart had died in this world, leaving nobody left to fulfil the prophecy to take down Lord Voldemort. He wondered how long it had been since the Light had lost their Chosen One.

Looking around the room again, Harry saw nothing else to do, so he laid back down on the bed and stared at the ceiling. He could feel that Ginny was alive in this world. That was all that mattered. He didn't want to be sent back to his own world, where the Wizarding World was all but gone from Britain. And then there was something Dumbledore had mentioned. Ginny had a similar form of Occlumency barrier to what Harry had. But Harry didn't know Occlumency, he was just naturally immune to any kind of mind invasion as a result of the soul bond with his Ginny. Which means that this Ginny must have bonded to this world's Harry in the Chamber, to the point of a mind link.

Harry sat bolt upright, having suddenly gone pale. The Chamber events had happened when Ginny was only eleven, assuming the time frame was consistent in this world. Which meant that Ginny had lived with the emptiness of having her soulmate die for almost seven years. He leapt up and started to pace rapidly, trying to dispel his sudden anxiety. Dumbledore had said she was fragile and Harry hadn't believed him; Ginny had always been so strong. But if she had formed a soul bond, even for a few minutes in the Chamber, just to have it ripped away at the age of eleven, it was a wonder she was still sane.

He needed to see her, somehow. Maybe, just maybe, he could help to heal her.

Ginny snuck quickly up the stairs in the Burrow back into her room. Moving swiftly, she opened her wardrobe door, pushed aside some clothes and pulled forwards a thin, flesh-coloured piece of string. Last summer, her twin brothers, Fred and George had given her two extra-long versions of their Extendable Ears which she had then spent several days carefully wiring through the roof and walls of the Burrow to give her access to listen, at will, to anything in either the kitchen or the living room downstairs. This was her only way of getting information, since her mother refused to let her join the Order saying it wasn't safe for her, especially as Voldemort had taken an interest in her capture for some reason. Ginny hadn't been told as such — she had heard it from one of the first meetings she had listened to from the confines of her wardrobe as she was doing now.

The reason she was here now was because Dumbledore had just arrived downstairs and requested to speak to her parents alone. This was not uncommon of itself, but the strange look Dumbledore had given her suggested to Ginny that this talk might be about her.

Holding the string up to her ear, Ginny heard her mother talking.

"-still be in danger, surely?"

"Ah, Molly, I don't know what to think just yet. All I know is the boy showed a remarkable amount of interest in meeting her, and her alone. He never mentioned his own family or friends," Dumbledore said gravely.

"Is he who we thought he was, Albus?" Mr Weasley asked.

"I'm afraid so, Arthur."

"Might it be better to let him see her under our controlled conditions?" Arthur continued. "She was asking to see him. Said she could feel him somehow."

"Indeed?" Dumbledore sounded surprised. "I wonder if I missed something when examining her after the Chamber. Some kind of link or bond formed from a life debt perhaps? But, even if that were the case, I think seeing him would be more detrimental to your daughter's state of mind when he returns back to his own world."

"Couldn't we just explain to him that she isn't available, or maybe died in this world? How would he know any different?"

"Molly, Albus, I'm afraid I don't see the issue with letting him see Ginny, what could the harm be? It might just help her recover and move on knowing that somewhere, he is well and happy," Mr Weasley said.

"As it stands, Arthur, I cannot trust him," Dumbledore said gravely. "He has impossibly good occlumency, the likes of which I'm very unfamiliar with, and he is not happy. He seems to be cold and unfeeling about everything except the prospect of seeing Miss Weasley. Especially when we consider that Voldemort has expressed an interest in having her for some plans of his own, I have to wonder if the ritual was not somehow interrupted, giving us a sympathiser of Voldemort. He may appear to be Harry Potter, but for all we know, Harry Potter may have been a Death Eater in his own world."

Ginny jerked backwards, letting the thin cord fall to the floor of her wardrobe. Now she knew what the Order had been doing earlier. It made sense now why she could feel Harry somehow after all these years. They had summoned him from another dimension. She had heard Hermione mentioning dimensional travel a few times when she though Ginny wasn't listening. She must have finished her research for the Order and found some way to summon help. But why would it have summoned Harry? And why did nobody want to let her see him?

Ginny flopped back onto her bed and sighed. Obviously, she wouldn't get any answers here. She could already hear chairs moving around downstairs, indicating Dumbledore was taking his leave.

Ginny sat up again, and moved to sit cross-legged in the middle of her bed. She listened intently for a few more moments to make sure nobody was coming upstairs before she turned her attention to her desk in front of her. She raised her hands out to either side of her body and, without a word, levitated every piece of furniture in the room off the floor.
Reviews 15
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear