Search:

SIYE Time:14:59 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter and the First Date
By sanidad

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/PM, First Time for Everything Challenge (2019-2), First Time For Everything Challenge (2019-2)
Characters:None
Genres: Comedy
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 8
Summary: Harry is unusually nervous about the date planned for tonight...
Hitcount: Story Total: 4626
Awards: View Trophy Room


Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
They say write about what you know. So, I did.




ChapterPrinter


Harry’s feet landed heavily as he climbed the stairs of his home to the second floor. He had forced his hands into his pockets rather than fidget with his wand. If it were up to him he would be still be downstairs looking through his study for a vial of Veritaserum. He was tempted to turn around and do so, but he dared not provoke his wife’s temper. When he reached the end of the hall, he rapped softly on the door to his only daughter’s bedroom. “Lils? He’s here.”

“Andrew’s here?”

“I thought his name was Alfred.”

The sixteen-year-old witch opened the door swiftly, allowing her father entrance. As he stepped into her room, she returned to the full-length mirror in the corner to finish grooming her long, auburn mane of hair. He frowned slightly at the large grin on her face, and then he scowled at her snug-fitting dress.

“No, it’s Andrew. Where did you get Alfred?”

“It’s not my fault he mumbles.”

“Actually, it is.”

Harry scowled again.

“You have to admit, you can be a bit intimidating.”

“He’s only intimidated if he has something to hide.”

“He’s my date, not a Death Eater.”

Harry wasn’t sure there was a difference. “How well do you know this boy?”

“I’ve known him since we were eleven.”

“That doesn’t mean anything. I’ve known Morag McDougal since I was eleven and I couldn’t tell you the first thing about her.”

Lily laughed. And then she kept on laughing. Harry’s irritation soon turned to confusion.

“What?”

“Morag McDougal–now Carmichael–is Andrew’s mother.”

Harry covered his face with his hands and groaned.

“What’s wrong?” Lily said as she began brushing the other side of her head. “Now you know something about–well, both of them, actually.”

“At least give me an hour to do a quick background check on him.”

“The film starts in thirty minutes.”

“Can’t you catch a later show?”

“Not if you expect me to still make it back home before curfew... unless you’re in the mood to extend it?” There was a playful question in her voice on the last two words.

Harry frowned.

“I thought not.” Lily put the brush down and turned to her father. “He really is a nice boy.”

Harry sighed. “It’s not that I don’t trust your judgment, it’s just that I know so little about him.”

“Just because he’s never saved me from a basilisk doesn’t make him unworthy of dating.”

“Well, it wouldn’t hurt.”

“So you want me to go find a basilisk?”

Harry felt his stomach churn at the thought. “No.”

Lily began rummaging through her jewellery box as her father collected his thoughts.

“What about Edgar Longbottom? He’s a nice boy.”

“He is,” Lily agreed, “and completely in love with my friend, Veronica.”

“Veronica Boot?”

“Mm-hmm.” Lily chose a pair of earrings and turned back to the mirror to put them on.

Harry sighed. His head was beginning to spin. He hadn’t cared much for idle teenage gossip when he was a student, and he cared even less now that he was an adult.

“Where exactly is he taking you?”

“I’m not sure. If I’m lucky we’ll just find a quiet spot in the woods behind the church and snog ‘til it’s time to come home.”

“Lily!”

There was that laugh again, as if there were any doubt that she was her mother’s daughter. “You need to lighten up, Dad. It’s only our first date. We’re going to the new movie theater near Diagon Alley.”

“In Muggle London?”

“Yes. He’s quite comfortable in the Muggle world. See, not a Death Eater.”

Harry grumbled noncommittally. “If this is your first date, does that mean he’s never asked you to Hogsmeade?”

“Is that a problem?”

“Just pointing it out.”

“You never asked Mum to Hogsmeade either.”

Harry sat on the corner of her bed, defeated. His daughter smiled patiently at him as she put on her favourite wristwatch before joining him.

“Why are you here? It’s not like you were helping me finish getting ready for my date.”

Harry shrugged.

“Come on, you never let me get away with just shrugging my shoulders when I was younger. You’re not getting a free pass either.”

Finally, Harry smiled for the first time since Alf–Andrew arrived.

“I just... I want you to be with someone who will treat you right. Someone... who appreciates the real you...”

“I get it,” Lily said while nodding and taking one of his hands in hers. “I do. You want me to have what you and Mum have.”

Harry stopped at her words. Was it actually that simple? The past twenty years–more than twenty, if he thought about it–were a dream come true. It hadn’t always been smooth sailing with Ginny, but they were happy. Genuinely happy. He pondered his relationship with his wife for a few moments, wondering how and when his daughter had become so emotionally mature.

“You’ve already talked about this with your mum, haven’t you?”

“She did help me pick out this dress.”

Harry looked at his daughter, taking her in as if for the first time. Her hair was not the typical Weasley red. It resembled his own mother’s tresses more, but she had his wife’s heart-shaped face. Ginny had had more freckles at that age, but Lily still despised the few that she had. She had not inherited her mother and grandmother’s Prewett stature, but there was no doubt she had Weasley blood. It was all there in front of him. She was their child, but she was very much her own person. Knowing that… it should be easier to let go a little... shouldn’t it?

And, if he was going to be truly honest with himself, he would have to admit that he had not been this protective of the boys. That was unfair of him, he knew. She was just as capable at protecting herself as they were. He and Ginny had made sure of that.

He could say that he just could not help himself, but what reason would he offer his daughter? She certainly deserved one.

“Dad?”

He looked up and blushed at his lack of focus. “Sorry.”

“Are you all right?”

Harry wanted to say “No.” Instead, he heard himself say, “Do you remember the incantation for the Bat Bogey Hex?”

Lily smiled. “I won’t need it...”

Harry stood and shoved his hands back in his pockets as he made for the door.

“... but, yes, I do remember,” she finished as she stood up too.

*


When they reached the bottom of the stairs, Harry headed towards the kitchen while Lily turned for the fireplace in the sitting room. He went straight for the larder with the permanent cooling charm and scanned its contents. Leftover curry. One pumpkin pasty. The remains of a roast chicken. But, no treacle tart. He sighed. He was already picking up the pumpkin pasty when his wife entered the room.

“Are you going to spoil your appetite?”

“No.” Well, probably. But, he didn’t care.

As he sat down at the table to eat his ill-timed snack he thought about the building in which Lily and Andrew would be watching their chosen film. One main entrance. Multiple emergency exits. If someone attacked they would need a fairly coordinated team consisting of at least eight people to trap anyone inside. It was only a ten minute walk from the Leaky Cauldron. With one owl he could probably extend the perimeter of the MLE’s Diagon Alley patrol for a couple hours...

“Are you ready to go?”

Harry snapped out of his musings and looked up from the table. His wife was shouldering her handbag. One eyebrow was raised.

Oh, dear. What had he forgotten? “Of course… Are they gone, then? I just need to… grab my wallet…”

Ginny smirked. “Relax. You didn’t forget anything.”

Harry’s shoulders loosened. “Where are we going?”

“Don’t you trust me?”

There was a slight twinkle in his wife’s eye. He wasn’t sure if he should be scared or excited… but he rose from his seat anyway.



Two hours later, Harry and Ginny were sitting in their favourite booth at the Leaky Cauldron. After walking the Alley and browsing its various shops, Britain’s most famous magical couple was contentedly scraping the remnants of Hannah Longbottom’s shepherd’s pie from their plates. Ginny was watching her husband, noting how much more relaxed he looked compared to when they had first come through the Floo. Harry was contemplating returning to Quality Quidditch Supplies to get Al some new gloves when his wife spoke.

“You felt better being nearby, didn’t you?”

Harry turned his eyes to his wife, but hers were on her plate. On the one hand, he felt fortunate to have found a partner who knew and loved him so well. However, it was a little galling to be with someone who was right so often.

“Well… yes.”

“And you didn’t even have to change the MLE’s patrol patterns to do it.”

Harry lowered his head sheepishly. How did she always know?

“To be fair, I wanted to do something similar when Jamie went out on his first date.”

“Really? I thought you liked Victoria.”

“I did… eventually. But, I did wonder what her motivations were at first. Was she really interested in Jamie? Or was she just interested in being with someone famous?”

Harry nodded. “Yeah. I wondered that too.”

“But, she wasn’t nearly as bad as I imagined. It was natural for her to be a bit starstruck the first time we met, but after that she was just like any other girl visiting her boyfriend’s parents.”

Harry narrowed his eyes slightly. “Why do I feel like you have a point in all this?”

Ginny shrugged one shoulder. “I’m just admitting that it took me a while to learn to trust our children’s judgment… but I did learn.”

“I’m getting there,” Harry said with a sigh. “Just… give me some time…”

Ginny placed a hand on her his and smiled. They stayed like that for a few minutes, until she pulled it back and stood up. “Let’s settle our bill.”

“Where are we going?” Harry’s words came out slowly, unsure if he wanted to hear her reply.

“Well… the film Lily and Andrew are watching is about to end…”

“... and you want to check on them?”

Ginny rolled her eyes. “No… It means the next showing is about to begin.”

“And you want to watch it? I thought you weren’t interested in romantic comedies.”

“I’m not. But, I understand there’s a Muggle tradition for couples who sit in the back row of the theatre.”

Harry felt his jaw drop. Then he grabbed his wife’s hand and rushed to find Hannah.


Reviews 8
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear