Search:

SIYE Time:20:01 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


2000 Miles
By Fire

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Fluff, Tragedy, Drama
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 453
Summary: When Harry realises his need for Ginny he eventually finds a way to tell her how he feels, but their fairytale romance is interrupted by a battle with the Dark Lord, and Ginny is determined that she won't lose Harry and is prepared to go to any lengths to prevent it. H/G, R/Hr.
Hitcount: Story Total: 164392; Chapter Total: 6472







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


O that ‘twere possible,
After long grief and pain,
To find the arms of my true- love
Round me once again!…
A shadow flits before me-
Not thou, but like to thee.
Ah God! that it were possible
For one short hour to see
The souls we loved, that they might tell us
What and where they be.
~By Alfred, Lord Tennyson



Chapter XXI: Lonely Halloween

Dear Ginny,

I really miss you. Lots of people here at school talk about you and how nice you were and how they’re sorry that you’re dead. They think you were kidnapped by Death Eaters. I wanted to tell them that you were still alive, but I remembered that you didn’t want me too, so I kept quiet. I think that Dumbledore knows that you’re alive though. He has this strange look in his eyes whenever he mentions your name. He’s teaching Defence Against the Dark Arts this year. He said it’s because the man he lined up to take the job is unavailable because of some unavoidable business, but he thinks he’ll be back by the end of the year.

Everybody is kind of sad at school. I think it’s because of you. A second year told me that you were the Headmistress last year when the war was on, and you were really good at it. On our first day the prefects told us that we must never, ever sit on the swing in the grounds, because it was yours. But they took us out in small groups to plant flowers around it, in remembrance of you. Loads of people were crying, but I didn’t. I know you’re alive and you’re going to come back. People talk about Harry Potter a lot too. They talk about how you were his girlfriend. You never told me that. Is it true? They talk about how he on the war for is and was really brave. I don’t think a lot of people were happy that Professor Snape was still alive.

I’m in Gryffindor. I’m glad. I wanted to be in Gryffindor, just like you. The Head Boy this year is Colin Creevey and the Head Girl is Luna Lovegood. Dumbledore says it'’ because they helped you last year when you were in charge. I think that you would have been Head Girl this year if you came back. Dumbledore invited the old seventh years back for a memorial service for the members of the school who died. There was a bushy haired girl who was really upset, so I asked her what was wrong. She said that she’d lost her two best friends. She said her name was Hermione. She was with a boy who had red hair like yours. Is he your brother?

There’s a Halloween feast in two days. Dumbledore said there’s not going to be a ball this year. I think people understand why. I saw a house elf the other day. He was crying really loudly. I didn’t think that house elves were meant to be seen. He was crying about Harry Potter and Harry Potter’s wheezy, whatever that means. The house elf said he was called Dobby, or something like that anyway. He’s was going on about Harry Potter’s greatness and how Harry Potter loved his wheezy and how Harry Potter freed him. He was a bit hard to take.

Anyway, please write back to me, Ginny. I won’t show anyone the letter. I’ll burn it once I’ve read it then nobody will ever know.

Joanne



*+*+*+*

Dear Joanne,

I miss you too. I’m glad that you haven’t told anyone that I’m alive. It’s very important. I feel really bad though, now that I know how upset everyone is. So, they told you about my swing? My swing was the place I used to go to think about Harry. Yes, they were telling the truth. Harry was my boyfriend. That’s the main reason I left Hogwarts, to come and find him. And you were right about the red haired boy with Hermione. He is my brother, Ron, I would think. Hermione is Hermione Granger. She is my best friend, and she’s like a sister to Harry. She’s my brother Ron’s girlfriend too. So, Luna is head girl? I’m glad. She’s a bit strange, you know. They used to call her Loony Lovegood, but she was excellent last year as a team leader. I’m glad Dumbledore chose her. I’m also glad that I found Professor Snape. As much as I loathe him, as much as everyone loathes him, he did a lot of good for our side and deserves to be rewarded for it. Does he still favour the Slytherins?

I hoped you’d be a Gryffindor. All the best people are Gryffindors. What has everyone been telling you about Harry? A lot of the Gryffindors know him well. Have they told you about the Chamber of Secrets? What about quidditch? Who is playing seeker? Who is quidditch captain? Have they played any matches yet?

Have you looked at all the pictures in the Gryffindor common room? We took them before the Easter holidays last year. The big one is of everyone in Gryffindor last year. Then there are ones of each year group. The little ones are pictures of people studying in the common room, the quidditch team, friendship groups and couples. There’s one of Harry and me, just above the fireplace.

I can’t believe I’m missing the Halloween feast. It will be very strange not sitting there tucking into all the great food and laughing with my friends. I won’t see all the fantastic decorations or the spooky surprises. It’s going to be very lonely, I think.

I’m Harry Potter’s wheezy. Dobby can’t say Weasley, he always says Wheezy. Dobby is very attached to Harry. You see, Harry tricked Dobby old owner into freeing him, that’s what Dobby meant. He can be a bit hard to take but he’s very sweet. But if you ever meet Hermione again, do not get her started on the subject of house elves, or you’ll never hear the end of it. I’m surprised she didn’t ask you to join SPEW as it is.

Thank you so much for your letter. It was great to hear from you.

Love G



*+*+*+*



De ar G,

I expect it will be a very lonely Halloween for you. You must be missing your friends a lot. I read in the Daily Prophet this morning that ten more war heroes returned home in the last two days. I’m glad that you are freeing them. Everybody seems much happier whenever there’s news of someone returning home, and there’s usually some everyday. It’s a great thing that you’re doing.

I heard some of the older Gryffindors talking about something called the DA. They were hoping that it would be continued this year, but they didn’t think it was possible now that Harry was dead. Do you know what they were talking about?

I saw the picture of you and Harry Potter. You looked very happy. You must miss him so much. It’s easy to tell by the picture that you were very much in love. Do you think he’s still alive? I really hope he is. It would be brilliant if you could find him, then you can be together and you can get married!

The quidditch team is practically all new. Jack Sloper is captain. Colin Creevey, Nelly Nightshade and Melinda Warren are chasers, Jack Sloper and Andrew Kirke are beaters, Arnold Astley is keeper and Susan Reynold is the seeker. It took me ages to find all that out. We were beaten by Slytherin last week. Susan caught the snitch. We were a hundred-and-twenty points behind when she saw it, but in the time it took her to catch it, Slytherin scored four more goals so we lost. Susan was really upset, but Jack wasn’t too disheartened. He said it was a good effort, especially seeing as the team was practically all first timers. The only ones who’d played for the team before were Jack and Andrew. Millie, a second year, said the Colin and Susan were reserves last year, but Susan has never played seeker before. She was a reserve chaser. It was really bad weather too, which didn’t help. Millie told me about the greatest seeker Hogwarts has ever seen and how we are lucky that he was a Gryffindor. I bet you already know who she means though. After all, you knew him better than anyone.

Your swing must have hundreds of flowers planted around it. Some of them will flower in spring, some in summer, some in autumn and some in winter. The first flowers will be out this spring. I hope that you will be back by then, so that you can see them. How many people have you freed so far? How many are left? When do you think you’ll be back?

Millie told me that before you were in charge, Gryffindors and Slytherins hated each other and Slytherins hated everyone except themselves. Is that true? Because now, everyone is friends with each other. I have lots of friends in Slytherin. Did you really unite all the Hogwarts houses? No one has been able to do that since the school was first founded. That’s what Millie told me. That’s amazing.

I have a lot of homework to do. Stupid transfiguration essay. Please write back, G.

Love Joanne



*+*+*+*


< I>Dear Joanne,

Thanks for writing to me, I love to hear your news. I do miss my friends very much, but I’ve got more important things to do, and that thought is what keeps me going. I’ve saved one-hundred-and-fifty-seven people, but by my reckoning there are still one-hundred-and-thirty out there. I’ve been going for just under four months, so I’ll be at least another three. I hope to be back by spring. I would love to see the flowers that everyone planted for me blooming.

I’m so, so glad that the houses are still friends with each other. What Millie told you is true. The houses were pretty much enemies, but I realised that if we were going to manage without the teachers and cope with losses then we’d have to unite. So that’s what we did.

Do you remember me telling you that I was a member of Dumbledore’s Army, the first night that I was at your house? The DA is what we called Dumbledore’s Army, to keep it secret. Cho Chang came up with ‘DA’ but I thought that Dumbledore’s Army was better than Defence Association and the others agreed with me. So that’s how it got its name.

I wouldn’t be too disheartened about the quidditch. Gryffindor have lost before and still managed to win the cup. Do you enjoy flying? I love flying. I always have. I was on the quidditch team. I played seeker for a while in my fourth year. That was when Harry was suspended, but I was best as a chaser.

You’re right. Harry and I were very much in love, and I love him as much now as I ever did. I hope against all hope that he is still alive. Without that I hope I wouldn’t still be here. Speaking of getting married, Harry did propose to me before he left, and I accepted of course. I want him to be alive, but every time I free prisoners and find that he isn’t among them, the chances of finding him alive get slimmer and slimmer. I just fear that I’ll never find him.

Have you had a lot of Transfiguration essays? McGonagall always was a battleaxe, but I always thought that Snape was worse. He hated Harry with a vengeance. I remember him giving Harry a D once or twice. D is for Dunce, by the way.

Make sure you write back to me. I’m off out walking now. Hopefully some more people will be on their way home.

Love G





A/N What do you think? This chapter is very different to my others so I thought it would be a nice change. Anyway, we’re through October now, and heading for November and December which means Ginny’s birthday, Christmas and New Year. Time for a little romantic dilemma for our Ginny. What do you think? Thanks to all who have reviewed. I have over a hundred now which is absolutely fantastic. I’ve never had so many reviews, so thank you all very much. It makes me feel loved. You really do inspire me to write and you make me feel all warm and fuzzy, so thanks. Keep reviewing!

Any of you Charmed obsessives out there, who are just like me, will have realised that Melinda Warren is a character from that programme. She was the one who started the line of witches that culminates in the Charmed Ones, and it is because of her that they have their powers of telekinesis, molecular inhibition and combustion, and premonition. For those of you who don’t watch Charmed, all you need to know is that I pinched the name Melinda Warren, so don’t go around thinking that it’s mine!







Reviews 453
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear