Search:

SIYE Time:15:09 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


2000 Miles
By Fire

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Fluff, Tragedy, Drama
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 453
Summary: When Harry realises his need for Ginny he eventually finds a way to tell her how he feels, but their fairytale romance is interrupted by a battle with the Dark Lord, and Ginny is determined that she won't lose Harry and is prepared to go to any lengths to prevent it. H/G, R/Hr.
Hitcount: Story Total: 163896; Chapter Total: 6451







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter



O that ‘twere possible,
After long grief and pain,
To find the arms of my true- love
Round me once again!…
A shadow flits before me-
Not thou, but like to thee.
Ah God! that it were possible
For one short hour to see
The souls we loved, that they might tell us
What and where they be.
~By Alfred, Lord Tennyson



Chapter XV: Homecoming

“Ginny,” said a voice softly. “Ginny.”

Ginny yawned and opened her eyes to gaze into the face of Harry Potter. It was just past six o’clock of the morning that Harry and Ginny were due to return to the Burrow.

“Morning,” said Ginny with a smile.

“I made you breakfast,” said Harry, putting a tray down on the bed.

Ginny scrambled into a sitting position. She looked at the plate. Bacon, fried eggs, sausages, hash browns, baked beans and even a fried tomato. There was also a cup of tea in the corner and two slices of toast of a smaller plate.

“You didn’t have to do this,” said Ginny with a wide smile.

“I wanted to,” said Harry.

Ginny kissed him quickly.

“Thank you,” she said.

She picked up the knife and fork and began to eat. It took her about fifteen minutes to finish everything then she headed for the shower.

Ten minutes later, Ginny was fully dressed with a plait in her hair and she and Harry were ready to leave. They had packed up the few belongings that they had and headed downstairs where the Williams family was waiting to say goodbye. Ginny had bought thank you gifts for each of them. For Marion a gold chain, for Andy a new watch, for Amanda a porcelain doll and for Louise a rare teddy bear.

“I’m going to miss you all so much,” said Ginny, hugging Marion.

There were tears rolling don’t both their cheeks.

“This is a happy day for you, Ginny,” said Marion. “Don’t cry anymore.”

“Don’t be a stranger, Ginny,” said Andy as he hugged the red head.

“I wouldn’t dream of it,” said Ginny. “I’ll write to you as soon as I get back to school. I promise.”

“Say hello to Joanne for us, Ginny," said Louise. “I’m going to miss you.”

Ginny picked the little girl up.

“I’ll miss you too,” said Ginny. “But I’ll come and see you in the summer. So I won’t be gone forever.”

She hugged Mandy next, promising that she would come back and visit.

“Goodbye, Harry,” said Marion. “You’ll be very happy together.”

“I know,” said Harry with a smile.

“Don’t ever let her go,” said Andy, shaking Harry’s hand.

Harry looked at him strangely for a moment.

“I won’t," said Harry. “We’d best be going, we don’t want to miss the train.”

Ginny nodded and said one last good bye to everyone, then, with a few tears; Ginny and Harry left the house. They walked through the town centre to the bus stop where they would catch a bus that would take them to Windermere train station. They were using muggle transport because they wanted their return to be a secret until Ginny returned to Hogwarts. Right on time the bus arrived. It was one of the open top sightseeing buses.

“Where are you off to today, Ginny?” asked the bus driver when she climbed on.

“Home, Max,” she said. “We’re going to Windermere to get the train from there.”

“What am I going to do without my most regular passenger?” said Max.

“I’m sure you’ll manage fine,” said Ginny, with a smile.

She paid Max, then she and Harry found two free seats on the top deck.

Half an hour later the bus arrived at the train station.

“Good bye Max,” said Ginny as she and Harry got off.

“See you, Ginny,” said Max.

Ginny and Harry stood on the pavement and watched the bus drive away.

“You’re really going to miss it," said Harry.

“Yeah,” said Ginny. “But I have a lot of things to look forward to, right? I’m going to see my family and my friends. I’m going back to Hogwarts and I’m going to be getting married.”

She grinned at Harry as she said the last thing.

“Too right you are," said Harry, kissing her cheek. “Come on. We need to get the tickets.”


*+*+*+*

An hour later, Harry and Ginny changed trains at a place called Preston. From there they had a three hour journey to London where they change again to go further north to where Ottery St. Catchpole was situated.

They got off the train in a nearby city. From there they walked for almost an hour before they found the bus stop. When they eventually got there they had just missed the bus and had a twenty minute wait until the next one came.

After much stopping and starting, a long and tiresome bus ride ended a five minute walk from the lane leading to the Burrow. Harry and Ginny set off towards the lane. When they arrived they could just make out smoke coming from the chimney of the house. Squeezing Ginny’s hand tightly, Harry led her down the lane towards the house.

“Stop here for a moment,” said Ginny, just strides from a large conifer at the side of the track. “When we pass that tree, we will be in view of the kitchen window.”

“Are you ready to go?” asked Harry.

“Yes,” said Ginny. “It’s just that I’ve waited so long for this moment.”

“I know exactly what you mean.”

Harry put his arm around Ginny’s waist and they set off walking again.


*+*+*+*



It was a normal February day at the Burrow. Things there were quieter than they used to be, even since Charlie returned. It had been three weeks since there had been any hostages returning and the wizarding community believed them to be the last, so the process of moving on had begun.

Fred and George had arrived early in the morning. It was their day off and they always spent it at home. Even their happy-go-lucky ways had changed and the mood, as ever, was sombre.

It was now about half past three in the afternoon. Hermione Granger was in the kitchen making up a few sandwiches as a snack for everyone when she saw two figures walking down the lane, quite far away from the house. Hermione was shocked. The Weasleys weren’t expecting any more visitors today. As the two people came closer, Hermione’s mouth opened in shock as she realised who it was. She ran from the kitchen, through the living room and out the front door faster than anyone can say quidditch.

“What the?” exclaimed Fred as the door shut with a bang.

Realisation dawned on Ron Weasley’s face. Only one thing in the world could have made his girlfriend run so fast. And so, without uttering a word he bolted after her.

“What is going on?” asked Mrs Weasley.

Charlie looked up from the newspaper he was reading.

“Someone’s come home,” he said casually.

“What do you mean?” asked Mrs Weasley.

“Go to the door and you’ll see,” said Charlie with a slight smile.

Mrs Weasley looked at her son strangely for a moment, then joined the rest who were peering down the lane from the door way.

“Oh my!” exclaimed Molly as she saw what was happening.

Ron and Hermione were sprinting down the lane towards two people. When they reached them, the four threw their arms around each other in an enormous group hug. The rest of the Weasleys followed very quickly with Mrs Weasley already in tears. Charlie walked behind the others with a large smile on his face.

Ron pulled his little sister into a huge hug.

“I can’t believe you’re alive, Ginny,” he whispered. “We thought we’d lost you.”

“You can’t get rid of me that easily,” said Ginny. “You know what else is cool?”

“No,” said Ron.

“I’m cured,” she said looking up at him.

“How?” asked Ron.

"A miracle,” said Ginny.

At that moment Mrs Weasley flung herself at her daughter. The whole Weasley family engulfed Ginny as Ron told them her news. Hermione was hugging Harry, the brother she never had.

“They wouldn’t tell us what had happened to you,” she was crying. “And then we had to go back to school and tell Ginny, and it’s been so awful. Nobody is happy anymore, but they will be now.”

“It’s alright, Hermione," said Harry. “We’re back. We’re here now.”

Hermione pulled away and joined the crowd around Ginny. Charlie stepped away to join Harry over to one side.

“When did she find you then?” asked Charlie.

“About a week ago,” said Harry. “What about you?”

“Would you believe four days after they moved you to another cell?” said Charlie.

“You’re joking!” said Harry.

“’Fraid not,” said Charlie.

“Who’d they put in my place?” asked Harry.

“Tonks,” said Charlie. “Where’d they put you?”

“On my own,” said Harry. “We were bad boys really, plotting an escape and all.”

“Tonks and I never had much chance,” said Charlie. “What with us getting out soon after.”

“You were lucky,” said Harry. “Many of us were there well into winter.”

“Bet that was fun,” said Charlie with a grimace.

“Tonnes,” said Harry. “You never told her did you?”

“What?” said Charlie looking confused.

“You never told Ginny that you and I were imprisoned together,” said Harry. “Captured together even.”

“I thought that your reunion would be much more special if she didn’t know,” said Charlie.

“That’s why you let her carry on,” said Harry.

“I’d have let her carry on anyway,” said Charlie. “She did a wonderful thing. I just can’t understand why she doesn’t want anyone to know about it.”

“I understand why,” said Harry. “But I don’t agree with it. People should know what she did for our world.”

“Then maybe you and I should break our promise,” said Charlie.

“Maybe we should,” said Harry.

“Harry dear,” said Mrs Weasley. “Come inside and I’ll get you something to eat.”

Harry smiled and followed everyone inside with Charlie walking beside him.

“It feels strange now that it’s over,” said Harry.

“It is for a while,” said Charlie. “It’s odd I suppose, but part of me still misses the damp earth of that prison.”

“It was home for so long,” said Harry. "A part of me will always be there.”

“At least this should cheer everyone up,” said Charlie. “The sadness of this place has been driving me crazy.”

“Well of course it was driving you crazy,” said Harry. “You knew that we were alive.”

“I didn’t tell them though,” said Charlie.

“You’re better at keeping a secret than I am,” said Harry. “And that is saying something. Just ask Ron and Hermione.”

Charlie chuckled.

“I don’t need to ask them,” he laughed.

Harry punched him on the arm.

“Hey!” he shouted, punching Harry back.

Harry grinned.

“Just like old times,” said Harry.

“Old times,” said Charlie.

They entered the house quite a while after the others had disappeared through the doorway. Harry sat down on the sofa next to Ginny. He slipped her left hand into his whilst the others were speaking excitedly.

“Thank you, Harry,” gushed Mrs Weasley.

“For what?” asked Harry.

“For bringing Ginny home safely, to us,” she said.

“I don’t think you should thank me, Mrs Weasley,” said Harry, awkwardly.

“But you deserve it, Harry dear," she said.

Harry looked at Charlie, who nodded ever so slightly. He then looked at Ginny.

“I’m sorry, Ginny," he whispered.

“Harry, don’t,” she pleaded.

“Don’t what?” asked Mrs Weasley.

“Tell you the truth,” said Charlie.

He stood up and joined Harry and Ginny.

“The truth?” asked Bill.

“The truth about how I escaped,” said Charlie. “And how Harry escaped, and our promises to keep it secret forever.”

“Then you shouldn’t break your promises,” hissed Ginny.

“I’m not going to take the credit for this," said Harry sternly.

“But…” began Ginny.

“Harry is right,” said Charlie. “Your family deserve to know the truth. It is the least you can give them after what they’ve been through.”

Ginny sighed.

“Oh alright then,” said Ginny. “But you two can tell them.”

“What’s going on?” asked Fred.

“I didn’t save Ginny from the Death Eaters,” said Harry. “That would have been impossible since she was never taken by Death Eaters.”

“Then what…?” began Mrs Weasley.

“Don’t interrupt," said Charlie.

“The Wizengamot told the wizarding world that two-hundred-and-eighty-seven people were removed from the place of the battle and executed at an unknown location,” said Harry. “Those two-hundred-and-eighty-seven never died. They were kept as hostages.”

“I never knew,” said Mr Weasley, who had returned from work at Mrs Weasley’s request.

“They probably didn’t want you to know,” said Harry. “Because you’d have done something about us. So anyway, they dragged us away from the battlefield. Took our wands and threw us into holes in the ground. Some were small, some were big. All containing from one to five people. The ordinary folk were unaware of this lie, save for one.”

“On the thirteenth of July,” Charlie began. “Ginny ran away from Hogwarts. By a series of hints Dumbledore had revealed these hostages to her. She knew, not who they were, only that they were there. On the fifteenth of July, after arriving in the Lake District, Ginny set out on her first walk.”

“She walked ten miles everyday,” said Harry.

“It was two months later when she found me and Tonks,” said Charlie. “Just four days since Harry had been moved from that prison.”

“You never told me that!” exclaimed Ginny.

“Harry and I were captured together,” said Charlie. “But they separated us after they caught us plotting an escape.”

“Ginny walked for two hundred days,” said Harry. “And as she completed two thousand miles she stepped into the prison where I was kept alone.”

“We all promised to tell no one about her,” said Charlie. "A promise that has been kept by every single hostage until now.”

“What Ginny did was more heroic than anything I ever did,” said Harry. “And I refuse to take the credit for it. Ginny returned two-hundred-and-eighty-seven people to their families and captured over three-hundred Death Eaters, and that is something, which I believe, deserves rewarding.”

“I don’t want rewarding," said Ginny. “That’s precisely why no one else can know. I didn’t do it for a reward. I didn’t do it for credit or for glory or to be called a hero. I did it to save the people who I love. Kingsley, Dung, Tonks, Charlie and Harry.”

Mrs Weasley threw her arms around her daughter.

“I’m so proud of you, Ginny,” she cried. “So proud.”

“When will you be returning to school?” asked Hermione.

“I thought in about a week,” said Harry. “Ginny will have a lot of work to catch up on.”

“You will help her though,” said Hermione.

“Of course,” said Harry. “I’ll just give her lots of detentions.”

“What are you talking about?” said Ginny, looking bewildered.

“Harry is the defence against the dark arts teacher,” said Hermione. “The one who Dumbledore is currently filling in for.”

“Oh!” said Ginny. “I had no idea.”

She looked thoughtful for a moment.

“Hermione,” she said. “Do you remember the memorial service they had at school?”

“Yes,” said Hermione, looking at Ginny oddly.

“Do you remember a blonde girl asking you why you were upset?”

“Yes,” said Hermione. “How do you…?”

“That girl’s name is Joanne Williams,” said Ginny. “It is her family that I stayed with for nearly seven months.”

“Oh,” said Hermione. “She seemed nice when I met her.”

“She’s lovely," said Ginny. “She has two little sisters, Amanda and Louise, and they’re adorable. You’ll have to come with me in the summer when I go to visit. Andy and Marion would love to meet you.”

“And Ginny can show you the Lake District,” said Harry. “It’s such a beautiful place. Lakes, mountains, forests and rivers.”

“And plenty places to explore,” said Charlie.

“You’ll love it, Hermione,” said Ginny.












A/N I’m sorry about the long wait. I’ve been spending most of my time watching the Olympic Games on TV. I hope you liked this chapter. The next chapter will be at Hogwarts. I have decided to end the story at the end of Ginny’s seventh year. But, if you all want one, I will write a sequel of sorts, telling of a few events in Harry and Ginny’s future life. Please review. All your comments are greatly appreciated.




Reviews 453
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear