Search:

SIYE Time:8:38 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


2000 Miles
By Fire

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Fluff, Tragedy, Drama
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 453
Summary: When Harry realises his need for Ginny he eventually finds a way to tell her how he feels, but their fairytale romance is interrupted by a battle with the Dark Lord, and Ginny is determined that she won't lose Harry and is prepared to go to any lengths to prevent it. H/G, R/Hr.
Hitcount: Story Total: 163888; Chapter Total: 7804







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


O that ‘twere possible,
After long grief and pain,
To find the arms of my true- love
Round me once again!…
A shadow flits before me-
Not thou, but like to thee.
Ah God! that it were possible
For one short hour to see
The souls we loved, that they might tell us
What and where they be.
~By Alfred, Lord Tennyson



Chapter V: Something Special

It was October 12th and notices started appearing all over the school. Every single Hogwarts student made sure that they could see one of the signs, so that they too would know what as going on.

HOGWARTS HALLOWE’EN BALL

(Open to all students above (and including) third year)

On the evening of October 31st beginning at 7:30pm, Hogwarts will host a Hallowe’en Ball. Dress robes must be wore, but no costumes are necessary.

Rules of the dance:

~All dates must be organised by the gentleman (boys must ask girls)
~There will be strictly no alcohol allowed
~Any indecent behaviour will result in detention
~All wands must be left in the dormitories
~No fighting

The Weird Sisters have been booked for your entertainment. We look forward to seeing all of you at the dance.

Professor Albus Dumbledore


“Cool, 221; said Ginny.

Harry groaned.

“Why do we always have to do the asking?”

“Because that’s the way it has been done for centuries,” explained Ginny.

She loved to see Harry squirm at the thought of having to ask a girl to the dance.

“I don’t see what your problem is Harry. It’ll be fun,” she continued.

“Oh, really, Miss Prefect,” said Harry. “Have anyone that you’d like to ask you?”

“Yeah. One of the Ravenclaw chasers is pretty hot.”

A closed expression appeared on Harry’s face.

“Oh really,” he said.

“Yeah, but I also think that Terry Boot is serious eye candy. Anyway, what about you?”

“There’s one girl that I like.”

“Who?” asked Ginny, curiously.

Harry had never let on to her that he liked anyone.

“I don’t want to say,” he replied, turning scarlet.

“Why not?”

“Because I don’t think that she feels the same way about me,” said Harry sadly.

“Have you asked her about it?”

“No.”

“Th en how do you know?”

“She treats me just like a friend, and besides she’s already told me that she likes someone else.”

“I wouldn’t worry about it too much, Harry. There’s probably plenty girls who are dying to go out with you.”

“Maybe you’re right.”

“Anyway, I’ve got to get to class, Harry. I’ll see you at lunch.”

“Bye Ginny.”

Harry watched as Ginny hurried down the corridor. Her long red hair swung behind her, catching all the facets of the sunlight. She was beautiful and he knew it. He needed her and he knew it. He was falling in love with her and he knew it. But she didn’t. She had no clue. And how the hell was Harry ever going to get up the courage to ask her out. To ask out the one girl that was truly perfect for him.

*+*+*+*


During the night, Harry was awoken by the footsteps of someone entering his dormitory.

“Ron Weasley,” the voice hissed.

Harry, hearing Ron’s snores, sat up in his bed and drew back the hangings.

“What is it?” he asked putting on his glasses.

A girl was standing a few feet from the foot of Ron’s bed. She was a first year and seemed quite over awed at being spoken to by the Boy Who Lived himself.

“It’s his sister,” said the girl.

“Ginny!” exclaimed Harry.

“She’s ill, really ill. Hermione Granger told me to come and get her brother. She’s sent some of the fifth years to get Dumbledore, McGonagall and Madame Pomfrey,” said the girl.

“What’s wrong with her?” Harry asked hurriedly.

“I don’t know,” said the girl biting her lip.

“Tell Hermione that Ron and Harry are on their way,” commanded Harry.

The girl nodded and sped away. Harry crossed the room and shook Ron awake.

“Harry, what the…?” said Ron staring at his best friend.

“Ginny’s ill,” said Harry quickly.

The colour drained from Ron’s face.

“Hermione sent a message, she wants us to go to her,” explained Harry.

“But we can’t get into the girls’ dorms,” said Ron, climbing out of bed.

“I know,” said Harry.

“Every time we put a foot on the steps it’ll turn into the slide,” said Ron. “It’s hopeless.”

“You think I don’t know that?” Harry paused for a moment. “Wait a minute. What if we don’t stand on the steps?”

“What do you mean?”

“What if we fly?”

“Fly? Inside? Come on, Harry, you can’t be serious.”

But Harry was already mounting his Firebolt.

“This isn’t going to work, Harry,” said Ron mounting his Cleansweep.

The two flew down the steps from the boys’ dorm and up the steps to the girls’ dorm. Harry hadn’t realised how difficult flying inside would be. What with trying to keep your head off the ceiling and your feet of the floor. Harry and Ron hovered outside the fifth year dorm. Harry knocked on the door.

“Hermione!” Ron hissed.

“Come in,” came Hermione’s slightly high pitched and panicky voice.

Harry and Ron flew into the room and toppled off their brooms at Ginny’s bedside. Hermione surveyed the brooms for a moment.

“I wondered how you’d get up here,” she said.

But Harry wasn’t listening. He was already kneeling at Ginny’s bedside. He put his hand on her forehead.

“She has a fever,” he said. “Ron and Hermione, go and get some cloths and soak them in old water to see if we can bring her fever down.”

Ron and Hermione nodded and ran into the adjoining bathroom. Hermione shut the door behind them. Ron looked at Hermione.

“Why did Harry send us in here? I should have stayed with her, she’s my sister,” said Ron.

“Oh, Ron,” exclaimed Hermione. “Don’t be so naïve. Harry loves her.”

“So do I.”

“Harry doesn’t love her in the way that you love her, you twit.”

“What do you mean?”

“Do I honestly have to spell it out for you?” she sighed. “Harry loves Ginny like a boyfriend loves his girlfriend.”

“Oh come on, Hermione. Don’t you think Harry would have told us?”

“I don’t think Harry knows it himself yet.”

Hermione turned on the taps and started soaking the cloths. Meanwhile Ginny groaned in pain and clutched her stomach. Harry took hold of her hand and stroked it gently. He put his other hand over Ginny’s hot arm that was pressing into her stomach.

“Ginny, it’s ok,” he soothed. “Harry’s here now and you’re going to be ok.”

Ginny turned to look at him.

“Harry?” she whispered hoarsely.

“Yes, it’s me. I won’t let you go Ginny. Everything’s going to be alright,” he said with a brief smile.

He bent over her and kissed her forehead. The bathroom door opened and Ron and Hermione rushed back into the room, carrying cold cloths. Hermione handed hers to Harry who placed it gently on Ginny’s forehead.

“How does that feel Ginny?” he asked softly.

“That feels good.”

Ginny’s voice sounded dry and hoarse. Harry continued to stroke her hand. Her breathing was shallow, fast and irregular. Hermione could see the worry in Harry’s eyes.

“Come on, Madame Pomfrey, please hurry up,” she muttered quietly.

It was as if the staff had heard her plea, because moments later the dormitory door opened and Professor Dumbledore, Professor McGonagall and Madame Pomfrey entered.

“Mr Potter, Mr Weasley,” said McGonagall harshly. “I had not expected to find you here.”

“Now, now, Minerva,” said Dumbledore. “I think it best that we do not press them about the matter, after all I am sure that it is for Miss Weasley’s sake that they are here.”

Madame Pomfrey rushed forward and tried to shoo Harry, Ron and Hermione away. Ron and Hermione moved and stood back against the far wall, but Harry adamantly refused to release Ginny’s hand.

“Now, really, Mr Potter,” scolded Madame Pomfrey. “How do you expect me to treat the poor girl when you are here hindering my efforts?”

Hermione put her hand on Harry’s shoulder and he stood up and moved reluctantly away. Ginny’s fifth year dorm mates must have been waiting in the common room seeing as they did not reappear with the teachers.

“We’re going to move her to the hospital wing,” Dumbledore told Harry, Ron and Hermione before conjuring a stretcher.

He used the levitation charm to move Ginny smoothly from her bed.

“I am afraid that only one of you will be able to accompany her,” said McGonagall.

Harry looked at Ron.

“Do you want to go, Ron?” he said. “I mean, she is your sister, you should be with her.”

“No, Harry,” said Ron. “You go.”

Harry nodded his thanks and followed Dumbledore up to the hospital wing. For the next hour he paced anxiously p and down outside the door to the infirmary. Dumbledore had briefly stuck his hand out of the door a few times to inform Harry of Ginny’s condition. Unfortunately, his information wasn’t worth much. All he would say was that Ginny was ‘stable’.

Two hours after he had arrived at the hospital wing, Harry was sitting on the floor outside, waiting. The fatigue was creeping up on him and he longed to go to sleep. His knees were curled up to his chest and his forehead was resting on those knobbly joints.

“Harry,” said Dumbledore, opening the door wide. “You can go in now.”

Harry leapt to his feet, all tiredness forgotten. He walked quickly and quietly into the hospital.

“She’s going to be ok,” Madame Pomfrey told him. “I have administered a potion that will bring her temperature right down. She’ll be right as rain in a week.”

“Thank you,” said Harry, relief flooding his body like an enormous tidal wave.


*+*+*+*


The next day when Harry came to visit, Ginny was feeling much better. She was sitting up in bed eating chicken soup.

“Hi Harry,” she said brightly.

“Hi Ginny,” he replied, sitting down in the comfy chair beside her bed. “I’ve brought you something.”

He turned red as he handed her a get well card that sang shrilly when she opened it.

“You might have to keep it under the fruit bowl,” he said lightly.

Ginny giggled uncontrollably for about a minute.

“I see the tables have turned, Mr Captain,” she said.

Harry gazed into the deep brown pools that were here eyes.

“I’m inclined to say that they have.”

Harry took a deep breath.

“Ginny, will you go to the Hallowe’en ball with me?”

Ginny looked at him.

“Me?” she said incredulously. “What about that girl you were telling me about?

“That was you!” said Harry, astounded that she hadn’t realised.

“But you said that she liked someone else.”

“I thought that you did. Will you go to the ball with me?” Harry asked again.

“Yes, of course I will. Did you really think that I’d say no?”

“I wasn’t sure. After all, you never told me that I was eye candy.”

“True. But who was there for me last night? Who was it that took me hand and tried to soothe my temperature and regulate my breathing? Who was it who kissed my forehead and told me that I’d be ok? It was you Harry. Last night was so awful. I’ve never felt like that before, and it just came out of nowhere. Madame Pomfrey can’t explain what brought it on so suddenly. It’s a mystery to everyone.”

“I had to be there for you. I wanted to show you how much I care.”

“And how much is that?”

“This much.”

Harry touched his lips gently to hers and paused for a moment before breaking away.

“I’ll save the all out snogging for when you’re better,” he said grinning at her.

“You’d better,” said Ginny, grinning back.

“Oh, by the way, Moody told me to tell you. He’s finally marked our projects.”

“And?”

&# 8220;And we got an ‘O’. Top of the class.”

“We beat Hermione?”

“Yup. She also got an ‘O’ but we had a higher raw score than she did.”

“Incredible. I never thought I’d see the day.”

“Neither did I.”

“So, Mr Captain, what are you wearing for the ball?”

“My bottle green dress robes, how exciting of me don’t you think?”

“Yes, very original of you.”

“What are you wearing?”

“I’ve got a gorgeous set of lilac muslin robes, I was thinking I’d wear them. You know for once they aren’t hand me downs. My grandmother gave them to me for my fifteenth birthday.”

“When is it your birthday?” asked Harry, embarrassed that he didn’t already know.

“December 16th,” said Ginny, smiling. “I’ll be sixteen on the sixteenth.”

“I’ll have to find something special to get you then.”

“You don’t have to.”

“Yes I do. You got me the most wonderful birthday present I’ve ever had, so I’m going to get you something special in return.”

“Well, in that case, I can’t wait.”

Harry grinned at her and kissed her gently again.

“I can’t wait for the ball,” said Harry.

“It’s going to be great,” said Ginny. “By the way, are Ron and Hermione going together?”

“Of course,” said Harry.

“I keep forgetting that they’re together. They still bicker so much.”

“I know. We won’t end up like that.”

“How do you know?”

“Because we’re destined to be together. This just feels so right. And if anything ever happened to separate us, I would walk two-thousand miles if it meant that we could be together.”

“Two-thousand miles?”

“Yes. Do you have any idea how long it would take to walk that far?”

“No.”

“W ell, if you walked on average ten miles a day, then it would take you just less than seven months.”

“Really?”

& #8220;Yeah.”

“And you’d do that, for me?”

“No. I’d do it for us.”

Ginny giggled. Harry put his arms around her and kissed her again.

“You’re a real romantic at heart, aren’t you Harry?”

“Yes. Strange really. I must get it from my Dad.”

“What makes you think that?”

“Just something Sirius said, that’s all.”

“Ah right. What do you think Ron will say about all of this?”

“You know, I think he’ll be pleased.”

“Why?”

 220;Well, do you remember going home on the train last year, and we were talking about Michael Corner?”

“Yeah.”

 220;And Ron told you to find somebody better next time. And while he said it he kept shooting oddly furtive glances at me.”

“So, I actually have found the boyfriend that my brothers will approve of.”

“It seems so. I mean, Ron likes me, seeing as I’m his best mate, and Fred and George like me seeing as I’m their only benefactor.”

“And the others are old enough to know that I can make my own decisions.”

“Exactly.” ;

“You know, I think this is one of the best days of my life.”

“I think I have to agree with that, Miss Prefect.”

“Yes you do, Mr Captain.”

Ginny kissed him again and the two gazed silently at each other, happy in the knowledge that they had both found their something special.





A/N Two chapters in one day! I know it was a bit rushed but I am very proud of myself. Finally, some fluff. Fluff, lots of fluff! I hope you paid attention to the section about the 2000 miles, because it is very important in the later stages of my story. You know, I think this chappie is bordering on the realm of the too fluffie and altogether yucky. Ah well, what can I say. I have two half talents when it comes to writing. One is the fluffiest of fluff and the other is death. Angst is not one of my strong points I’m afraid, which is why I’ve got Harry and Ginny together quickly. There is more fluff on the menu today. Yes, sugar coated fluff. SUGAR DA DA DI DA DI DA, AH HONEY HONEY DA DA DI DA DI DA!. I’m really not a strange person. Thank you to all my lovely reviewers, please keep reviewing. Thank you!




















Reviews 453
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear