Search:

SIYE Time:16:54 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


2000 Miles
By Fire

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Fluff, Tragedy, Drama
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 453
Summary: When Harry realises his need for Ginny he eventually finds a way to tell her how he feels, but their fairytale romance is interrupted by a battle with the Dark Lord, and Ginny is determined that she won't lose Harry and is prepared to go to any lengths to prevent it. H/G, R/Hr.
Hitcount: Story Total: 163875; Chapter Total: 7767







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


O that ‘twere possible,
After long grief and pain,
To find the arms of my true- love
Round me once again!…
A shadow flits before me-
Not thou, but like to thee.
Ah God! that it were possible
For one short hour to see
The souls we loved, that they might tell us
What and where they be.
~By Alfred, Lord Tennyson



Chapter VII: The Boy Who Lived…er… Four Times

Harry, Ginny, Hermione and Ron arrived back in their own time with a crash in Dumbledore’s office. Fawkes stared at them squawking, and Dumbledore looked down at them with an amused twinkle in his eye.

“Where have you four been?” he asked.

Hermione glared at Harry as the four stood up, groaning.

“I warned you, Harry,” she said. “And now we’re going to get into trouble.”

“Shut up, Hermione,” said Ginny angrily. “We went to the past, sir.”

“Really?” asked Dumbledore. “What year did you go to?”

“1975,” said Ron.

“To see James and Lily, I presume?” said Dumbledore.

“Yes,” said Harry. “But they won’t have remembered. You put a spell on the Timekey that erased all memory of us.”

“Ah,” said Dumbledore. “That would explain why I don’t remember.”

“How long have we been gone, sir?” asked Ginny.

“It’s as if you never left,” said Dumbledore. “Tell no one where you went and you may go now.”

“We’re not going to be punished?” asked Hermione.

“No, Miss Granger, not today. The other teachers, with the exception of Professor Snape, and myself have all agreed to be a bit more lenient with you. After all, you four are among those who will help us bring down the Dark Arts,” said Dumbledore, smiling. “And now, go! I am sure there is plenty you wish to discuss.”

“Thank you, sir,” said Ginny.

The four left the study and headed for the Room of Requirement where they could have some privacy.


*+*+*+*



Th e Come-and-Go room had made itself warm and cosy when they entered. It was not unlike the Gryffindor common room, but it was much smaller. There were two very squashy sofas and a large roaring fire. There were cushions and rugs all over the floor and a shelf full of books. The walls were decorated in red and gold, which gave the room a warm feeling. When they entered, Harry sat down in the corner of one of the sofas and Ginny laid her head in his lap and left her feet dangling over the opposite arm. Hermione sat down on a couple of cushions, while Ron splayed out on a rug. Harry absentmindedly stroked Ginny’s hair.

“That was a weird trip,” said Hermione. “It was great seeing Sirius again, and meeting James and lily. They were very different from how I imagined them. What do you think, Harry?”

Harry sat silently, gazing at the fire.

“Harry, are you ok?” asked Ginny gently after a long pause.

She took hold of the hand that wasn’t stroking his hair.

“What?” he asked.

“Are you ok?” Ginny repeated, still quietly.

“Not really,” he said. “I found them. I found the family that I’ve always wished for. Found it, only to lose them again. What if I never have a family?”

“Of course you will,” said Ginny. “Of course you’ll have a family. One day, after Voldemort is gone, you’ll leave school and get married, have children and you’ll be a wonderful father.”

“What makes you so sure that I’ll beat him?” asked Harry.

“I know that you can do it,” said Ginny, gazing up at him.

“How do you know?” asked Harry.

“I know, because you can do anything,” said Ginny.

“Ron,” said Hermione. “I’ve got some homework I need to finish. Will you come with me?”

“Hermione,” said Ron. “We don’t have any hom….”

But Hermione had already pulled him up and was dragging him from the room. She sensed that Harry and Ginny need to be alone right now.

“Who would marry me, though?” asked Harry. “The only people who’d want to marry me are the people who want me because of my name, or my money.”

“Is that what you think? Do you really think that that is why I’m going out with you now?”

“No. You’re different, Ginny. But you’ll be sick of me by then. Sick of all the whispering that follows, sick of people coming up to me in crowds.”

“I guess we’ll just have to see won’t we?”

Ginny sat up and moved closer to Harry.

“Let’s worry about the future, when the future comes,” she whispered.

Harry leant downwards and kissed her. The kiss was full of passion. Very quickly, Harry deepened the kiss. His hands moved slowly across her back, pressing her into him so that he could feel her heart beating. He held onto her tightly, he wasn’t going to let her go. It was then that he made a vow to himself, that he would protect her, whatever the cost. Eventually they broke away, panting slightly.

“Wow,” whispered Harry. “I could get used to that.”

“Me too,” Ginny said smiling.


*+*+*+*



Mo ody surveyed his advanced defence class.

“As you know, Defence Against the Dark Arts is all about defending yourself against the darker branches of magic. In our current time, there is one particular dark threat which is on everyone’s minds. Voldemort. Everyone in this room will have heard of Voldemort and will obviously know about the one person with whom Voldemort will always be connected, whether he likes it or not. For this next project, I want you to write an account of each of the four times that the Boy Who Lived has faced Voldemort. Following that, you must discuss the main theories of how the Boy Who Lived survived on the night of October 31st 1981. I do realise that this particular project will be extremely easier for a certain member of this class, and the rest of you are forbidden to ask Harry for any help. With that said, class is dismissed. You have two weeks to complete this assignment,” said Moody.

The class packed away their things and left the classroom, heading for the Great Hall.

“How unfair can you get?” complained Ron when the four reached the Gryffindor table.

“You are not telling me that you’ll actually find this hard are you?” said Hermione. “You have been Harry’s best friend since you were eleven. You know better than most what has happened to Harry over recent years.”

“I suppose,” groaned Ron. “But still, nobody’s going to be able to give as good an account as Harry.”

“Well, obviously,” said Ginny. “He was there after all. But you will remember that he has previously told you about everything that he has done.”

“It’s a stupid idea for a project anyway,” said Harry, after filling his plate with mashed potato and roast beef.

“What makes you say that?” asked Hermione.

“I’ll be writing about things that I’d rather forget,” explained Harry. “Still, our three projects will be the most accurate, that is if your partners let you write that Sirius was innocent and Wormtail was the traitor.”

“Oh believe me,” said Ron through gritted teeth. “She will not be stopping me from telling the truth.”

“Trust me, Harry,” said Hermione. “Pettigrew will be the traitor, make no mistake of it.”

“I wonder if Dumbledore knows that Moody’s making us write projects about the more unpleasant aspects of Harry’s life?” pondered Ginny.

“It wouldn’t surprise me if it was Dumbledore’s idea,” said Harry. “He is a mad old fool, after all.”

Ginny laughed.

“I have to agree with that,” she said.


*+*+*+*



Ginny and Harry sat together at a small table in the Gryffindor common room.

“What the hell are we going to call this project?” asked Harry. “It seems a bit silly to call it by its most appropriate title, The Worst Four Days of Harry’s Life.”

“That is an appropriate title, but I have a better idea,” said Ginny.

“What?”

“The Boy Who Lived Four Times.”

“That sounds ok,” said Harry. “And seeing as I’m the one telling the stories, you can do the writing.”

“I always do the writing,” said Ginny.

“True,” said Harry. “But that’s because your writing is so neat.”

“Hmm,” said Ginny. “Maybe I should start giving you handwriting lessons.”

“What!” exclaimed Harry. “No way. My writing is fine as it is. And anyway, you won’t be doing all the work. I’ll be telling you what to write.”

“In that case, I’ll just have to be glad that I got stuck with a partner who can talk, but can’t write.”

“You should be glad,” said Harry. “No one else knows as much about those four days as I do, in this school at least.”

“Very true,” said Ginny. “I wouldn’t know where to start.”

“I think we should make a start now though, while we have nothing else to do.”

“Yeah, that’s probably a good idea.”

“At least this project is easier than the last few have been.”

“Yeah, that one all about jinxes was really hard.”

“Do you want to come to Hagrid’s with me later?” asked Harry.

“Of course,” said Ginny. “I’ve barely had chance to speak to him this year in lessons.”

“He doesn’t teach me anymore, so I’ve hardly seen him. He probably thinks I’ve forgotten him.”

“He wouldn’t think that, he probably thinks that you’ve been busy, and Lord knows, you have. What with projects, essays and Quidditch, you have no time for anything else.”

“I have time for you,” he said, kissing her cheek.

Ginny grinned.

“Come on,” she said. “Let’s get to work.”


*+*+*+*



“So,” said Hagrid, pouring Harry and Ginny a cup of tea each. “Are yeh looking forward to next week’s ball?”

“Yeah,” said Harry, with a sideways glance at Ginny. “I can’t wait.”

“Wha’ about you, Ginny?” Hagrid asked. “Who are yeh goin’ with?”

“A sixth year,” said Ginny quietly, as the colour rushed to her cheeks.

“There’s a lot of sixth years, Ginny,” said Harry seriously. “Who is he?”

Ginny glared at Harry.

“A Gryffindor,” said Ginny, growing ever redder.

“Well, tha’ narrows it down a bit,” chuckled Hagrid. “Who are yeh going with, ‘Arry?”

“A fifth year,” he said, mimicking Ginny. “A Gryffindor.”

Harry grinned at Ginny. Hagrid looked bemused for a moment before his face broke into a smile.

“Yer goin’ with each other,” he said grinning. “Why di’n’t yeh say so?”

“It’s our little joke,” said Harry taking hold of Ginny’s hand and squeezing it.

Hagrid smiled. To him, it was as if it were James and Lily, all over again. Sirius had been right.

“Well, I’ve got ter admit, ‘Arry, yer copin’ a lo’ be’er than I expected yer to,” said Hagrid.

“I decided that Sirius wouldn’t have wanted me to grieve for him. He would have wanted to live my life as much as I could and enjoy it while it lasted,” said Harry. “I still think that his death was my fault, no matter how much Ginny glares at me for saying it, but I’m learning to deal with it and move on from it.”

Ginny held his hand tighter.


*+*+*+*



Ha rry and Ginny walked back to Gryffindor tower hand in hand. The common room was empty, except for two sixth year prefects.

“That is something that I did not want to see,” said Harry.

“I know it’s gross, that’s my brother,” said Ginny, pulling a face.

“Scare them,” said Harry.

“What?” said Ginny, looking confused.

“They don’t know that we’re here. They haven’t noticed. Use your McGonagall voice,” he said.

Ginny nodded.

“Miss Granger! Mr Weasley!” shouted Ginny, doing a perfect imitation of Professor McGonagall. “I would have expected better from my sixth year prefects, especially you Miss Granger!”

Hermione turned her head slowly. Ginny could see that her face was as red as beetroot.

“I’m really sorry, Professor, we were jus… Hey!” she exclaimed when she realised it was Ginny.

Harry collapsed on the floor, his face purple from trying not to laugh. Ginny began to laugh hysterically.

“Why did you do that?” said Hermione shrilly.

“We (giggle) thought (giggle) it (chuckle) would be (giggle) funny,” said Harry, between laughs.

“It was (snigger) Harry’s idea,” said Ginny.

“Was not,” said Harry.

“Was too,” said Ginny.

“Oh yeah?” said Harry.

“Oh yeah,” said Ginny.

And before she could blink, Harry had pounced on her and was tickling her mercilessly. Hermione rolled her eyes, and she and Ron disappeared from the room.

“Stop it, Harry!” shouted Ginny, who could bear the tickle torture no longer.

“What’s in it for me?” said Harry, continuing.

“This,” said Ginny.

She reached up and kissed him briefly on the lips.

“Ok, you win,” he said and pressed his mouth to hers once again.









A/N This chapter is very short, I know and I’m sorry, I wanted this story to have long chapters, but, oh well. Next chapter is all about Hermione and Ron, because I think that I’ve neglected them a bit, so they’re going to have a chapter to themselves, then it will finally be the Halloween Ball. I hope you all liked my little preview. It won’t be exactly the same as that when it appears in the story, that was a slightly sorter version, but I think you might have got the point. I will be posting more previews for you, just because I like you so much, but they won’t be in order, so you won’t be able to piece the story together. And one more thing, YOU STOLE FREDDIE! I’m not insane, really. Please don’t lock me up, unless you have a padded room. I want a padded room, don’t you think that would be really cool? I’m just being random now, anyway, review please!

Reviews 453
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear