Search:

SIYE Time:12:38 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Phoenix Tears
By Yusaita

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Fluff, Drama
Warnings: Death, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 7
Summary: Yet another "last battle" scenario.
Hitcount: Story Total: 3377







ChapterPrinter


I lay against him, my head on his stomach, my hand on the warm skin of his chest, my eyes on his face. I lay and listened to the sound of his breath, felt the beating of his heart beneath my palm, heard with satisfaction the soft wooshing of his blood. I noticed suddenly that his hand was stroking my back and his green eyes were regarding me with a faint air of loving amusement. I blushed and his smile deepened into a grin as he tightened his grip around my waist.
“Trying to capture my heart, Gin?” he teased. “Don’t worry, I don’t plan on taking it back any time soon.”
So I smiled back and curled up within his arms and drifted back to sleep with him, with the sun billowing in through the windows and playing gently over our faces, the breeze bringing the scent of the morning and the dew and the grass, and our dreams and everything about us was beautiful. For a few moments, for just a few snatched hours, we could briefly forget the festering evil that lurked just out of sight and ignore our duty. We could wander hand in hand through a happy world that had nothing to fear.

***


I lay against him and his skin was a whiter shade of pale and cold, cold beyond the realm of human touch, a fiery cold that burnt my skin where it came into contact with his and froze my tears as they dripped onto his body. The sky was still clear but sunset was rapidly approaching and the birds of prey were beginning to circle. The pure light that occurs briefly in the morning and in the gloaming played over the scene of carnage, the wind brought the smell of blood and the stench of death and the sobbing of those who had lost and those who were soon to leave. Medical wizards had been the first targets. And he lay still and cold beneath me although life had not yet fled and I knew that if I stayed there then I too would die. But still I waited, because I loved him and I couldn’t let him go, and he knew that I was there and for once in his life he was selfish. He clung to me in a way that transcended the boundaries of flesh, though I didn’t understand it then. All I knew was that at the same time that he was doing this he hated himself desperately and was willing me to go, to go to safety, to leave and find a place to hide so that I could continue. He didn’t understand. I could never have left him. Never. To use a hideous cliché… I didn’t want to live without him.

***


The first warning had been the orders that arrived out of the blue. It was our holiday, our time away from the trials and tears and joys of working for the Ministry of Magic as Aurors. I had followed him in the knowledge that we, us two, a pair, knew better than almost any other what our enemy was like. How he operated. What he did to our minds. We were a team, constantly working together in such a way that it seemed to others that we were mindreaders. Of course, we were nothing that elaborate. Neither of us was born with that talent. We had simply been together for so long that we knew each other intimately in every way. I exercised a certain degree of control over his rashness- the fault had almost stopped him qualifying- and he in turn helped me with my studies and the improvement of my knowledge of spells.

Nothing had prepared me for the final battle, though. We were all keenly aware, Harry most of all, that this would decide the future of the world. The noise and the fear that was channelled into anger and hatred and spells of enormous strength, the close combat. Fighting with our bare hands if our wands broke (and a small part of our hearts broke with them) against people who were determined to kill us and those we loved, simply because it amused their master. It was different from the situations that I had become accustomed to. The problems that we dealt with were mainly small scale… and we had not had any idea that Voldemort’s ranks had swelled to such an extent. There were thousands of dark wizards and their blood mingled with the blood of our allies and their bodies were trampled underfoot by friend and foe alike.

***

And now the sun was setting and clouds had begun to appear. Red light reflected off their undersides. Red blood. Red fire. Red passion. Red anger. Red hatred. Red love. Red elation. Red hearts. Red fire. Red light that flickered. Red and orange and yellow and golden fires. Red hair. Red… red phoenix. And the warm rain fell and washed away the blood and the tears and healed the cuts on my face and the pain in my arm, and beneath me Harry began to stir and turned his face to mine, bewilderment writ upon it in letters large. The phoenix danced their ancient dance and healed those who could still live and their song eased the minds of those who would go and their tears took away the pain. We slept in each other’s arms as the fear and exhaustion and terror gave way and emotions flowed and we collapsed, tears rolling down our faces and soaking our clothes as we rested. We slept together in that field of blood and death and destruction and an aura of love surrounded us and somehow kept us safe that night.

***


We found out later that it had been the largest gathering of phoenix ever known. They are normally solitary creatures (which is how the Muggle legend arose) but I suppose that as creatures of good, they helped us where they could. It was well known that should one phoenix give the call for help, others would answer by appearing nearby and going wherever they felt they were needed most. Never had the phenomena been seen on such a scale before with birds from the world over arriving. They sensed the urgency. When we awoke we found that Fawkes had perched near us and was watching us carefully. He had swooped once around our heads and then disappeared leaving us standing somewhere neither wanted to be. We Apparated to the Ministry where we assumed we would have the best chance of finding out what we dreaded hearing and we found, once again, that hope can be the cruellest thing.

***


White. White flowers. White dress. White clouds. White cake. White, purity. White, flawless. White.
Gold. Golden sun. Golden daffodils nodding their heads in the breeze. Gold ring.
Green. Green leaves. Green grass. New spring. A spring none of us had dared to hope we’d live to see.

But we had. And with it brought with it wonder and joy and rediscovery and bittersweet tears and laughter. Ron and Hermione had lived and had married in the summer just before Harry’s birthday and had a child. A child who was christened today. As I looked down at the child and smiled secretly to myself Harry wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed my hair. “Ginny, it’s time.” He gently tugged my hand and we entered the church. I didn’t dare believe. Something I had spent so long dreaming about, wishing for, yet knowing it was impossible. All along I’d been wrong. I fondly treasured the memory of the young and shy eleven year old. Of both eleven year olds. Harry, when I had first seen him. Myself, when he had first saved me.

Harry, to whom I had just pledged myself although I barely heard the words. Harry, who was kissing me. Harry, whom I loved.

[A/N: my first serious attempt at fanfic and my first attempt EVER at Harry Potter fanfic, so please be gentle. It's also not my normal writing style. :\ I was originally going to kill them both but decided I couldn't do that because I liked them too much.
I'm sorry if there's anything in here that seems to be stolen, and I'm sure there is, but if so it's not intentional and I apologise profusely to the authors whose work I appear to have plagiarised.
I would also really appreciate it if you could review, this being my first fic an' all, just so I know if it's worth continuing to write. ^^;
Chapter title taken from "So Why - So Sad" by the Manic Street Preachers.]
Reviews 7
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear