Search:

SIYE Time:2:20 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


New Year, New Hope
By Arnel

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Buried Gems
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff, General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 117
Summary: It's Harry's sixth year and Ginny Weasley's "Harry-Watching" has paid off. In this sequel to "You're Still You" the two teens explore their new relationship while dealing with the challenges of life threatened by war.
Hitcount: Story Total: 89224; Chapter Total: 5041







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Part Fifteen


The sun was beginning its descent toward the horizon when someone pounded urgently on the back door of the sweet shop safe house. Ginny was helping a seventh year Hufflepuff girl who was covered with multiple hex marks, so she didn’t pay much attention to the summons until Imogene and Stewart hurried over.

“Ginny,” Imogene began somewhat breathlessly. “Come quickly.”
“Neville’s brought someone in who’s badly hurt,” Stewart explained. “We think you’d better go take a look.”

Ginny cast a final Cancellation Spell on the other girl and reluctantly heaved herself to her feet. She Summoned her list of students and her quill, scribbled a quick note and then limped over to where Neville stood with Ron and Hermione. At first, she thought something was amiss with her brother as he was leaning against the display under the stairs with his eyes closed, but a shake of Hermione’s head told her Ron was all right. Ginny turned her attention to Neville whose tired face mirrored Hermione’s worried expression.

“Neville what’s…” she began. She followed his gaze to the body lying on the floor at his feet. “Harry!” she shrieked, causing many of the room’s occupants to look in their direction. She searched the faces of her three friends. “What … how?”

Ron stepped over to steady her as she dropped to her knees beside Harry. “He’s out cold. Stunned. We thought it best to bring him here,” he said gravely.

Ginny took a calming breath. She couldn’t fall apart when Harry needed her so badly. She glanced up at Hermione. “I’ll need help. Can you stay?”

Hermione nodded after searching Ron’s face. “They can spare me,” she said pulling her wand from her pocket. “What can I do?”

“We need to get him farther into the shop. He’s too exposed here.” Ginny led the way to the centre of the room as Hermione murmured, “Mobilicorpus” and floated Harry before her. Ron brought some blankets from behind the counter and joined the two witches and Harry on the floor near one of the lamps.

“What happened?” Ginny asked kneeling at Harry’s head and running her hand soothingly through his hair. The gesture might not comfort him right now, but it was wonderfully calming to her. The repetitious action helped her focus and she knew she needed to concentrate if she were to help Harry. She didn’t want to do anything to him until she knew all the facts; if she used the wrong healing spell she could do more damage than good.

Neville, Ron and Hermione exchanged glances as if trying to decide who would tell the story.

“We were all there,” Neville finally said. “Harry was duelling with Lucius Malfoy and seemed to be winning, even with his left arm out of commission. I mean, they were both throwing powerful spells at each other, almost as fast as some of the Aurors did last year in the…Death Chamber. Harry had just put the Leg-locker Curse on Mr. Malfoy when he suddenly crumpled to the ground holding his head and retching.”

“His scar?” Ginny asked.

Ron looked significantly at the two girls. “Like Christmas of fifth year,” he said quietly. Ginny knew he was referring to the night her father had been attacked while on duty for the Order. Harry had once told her about the pain he had experienced that night and what it had done to him; she shuddered involuntarily.

“Just because of whom he is everyone on both sides within ten meters or so stopped fighting to see what was happening.” Hermione said taking up the story. “That’s when Mr. Malfoy yelled, ‘Crucio’ and held the spell on Harry for a really long time. It was so awful–no one did anything except watch for about thirty seconds. It was as if both sides were frozen in time,” she said letting her voice trail to nothing, an agonized look crossing her worried face.

Ginny glanced at her brother. He and Neville wore identical guilt-ridden expressions to Hermione’s. She could tell just by looking at them that they seemed to think they had failed Harry for not protecting him.

Hermione closed her eyes briefly before she spoke again. “Ron finally Stunned Mr. Malfoy which lifted the curse. Then, as Harry regained his feet, three other spells hit him together. One was a Severing Hex of some sort.” She pointed to the blood soaking the left shoulder of Harry’s robes. “I think he dislocated the shoulder when he fell on it.”

“Did anyone hear what the hex was? Madam Pomfrey might need to know if it’s difficult to heal,” Ginny said thinking quickly.

Hermione thought for a moment, her brow creasing in concentration. She absently twirled a lock of hair around her finger as she answered, “No, but I remember what colour the light was that hit him. It could be one of the two I know about: Conseco Viscus or Secare Artus.

Ginny’s breath caught in her throat. The first hex was usually aimed at the bones, the second at the joints. This news was not good. She hardly dared to ask her next question. “What about the other two spells?”

“Stunners,” murmured Ron. “Both in the back.”

Ginny covered her eyes with her free hand. “It’s worse than I thought,” she said shaking her head. She raised her eyes and looked at the others. “Did you get the Death Eater who hurt Harry?”

Hermione smiled and gazed with admiration at Ginny’s brother. “Ron did. Dropped him with a beautiful Stunning spell as he was gloating over Harry’s defeat.”

“Good,” Ginny said. She glanced at Ron. “He deserved it. I hope you tied him up, too.” When her brother grinned, she changed the subject. “Hermione, help me get Harry’s shirt off. We need to find out what the hex did and it’s probably best if we do so before we try to revive him.”

Hermione nodded, seeming to understand that Ginny intended to work on Harry’s shoulder using the Stunning spells like Muggles used ether and other sleeping drugs. He would have no recollection of the pain they put him through as they treated his wound.

As the girls began working, Ron and Neville took their leave, saying they’d come back when they could. Ginny nodded absently, concentrating on keeping Harry’s head and shoulders relatively still while Hermione began stripping away his robes and shirt. Both girls gasped involuntarily at the condition of Harry’s torso when the bloody shirt was pulled open; from the multiple vivid bruises it was easy to see that he’d been hit by some powerful spells and Ginny suspected Harry had several broken ribs. His other injuries were of a more immediate concern, though: first and foremost was the deep gash which ran at an angle across his left shoulder and down his left arm exposing the shoulder joint and upper arm bone which stuck out at an odd angle. On further inspection Ginny and Hermione could see that the ball joint was completely out of its socket. Harry’s arm lay limply on the floor. It, too, seemed to have something wrong with it.

Secare Artus?” Ginny asked reaching for her wand.

Hermione murmured, “I think so” and placed a lamp closer to their work area so they could see better to bind up the wound.

“We’d better let Madam Pomfrey mend all this,” Hermione advised waving her hand in the general direction of Harry’s injuries. Ginny had to agree, although she hated the idea of not trying to shove Harry’s shoulder back into place. Something told her that setting him right would be less painful than leaving his shoulder alone, but because neither she nor Hermione knew what to do she was helpless. As she began casting cleaning spells and numbing charms on the exposed area, Hermione began ripping up a bed sheet Ginny had taken earlier for bandages.

Suddenly, Ginny froze. “Hermione!” she called quietly, her anxiety over her newest discovery betraying the calmness of her tone. “You need to see this.”

Hermione put down her sheet and hurried over. “This isn’t good,” she murmured. Ginny had finally exposed the full length of Harry’s limp left arm; it was badly swollen and clearly broken in at least four places. She reached for the cuff of Harry’s robes and tugged gently on the material to slide it over her friend’s hand. The simple movement caused the flesh to turn from slightly pink to deep purple.

Ginny bit her lip to keep the tears from spilling onto her face. “This is what Harry was hiding from me when he came in earlier this afternoon. He knew he was too badly hurt for me help him and wouldn’t let me look at his arm.” She glanced pleadingly at Hermione. “I don’t know where to begin, Hermione,” she whispered in desperation. “If we try Episkey we run the risk of healing the bones improperly and I couldn’t watch if Madam Pomfrey had to break Harry’s arm again in so many places.” She looked imploringly into her friend’s eyes. “Help me here…do we just wrap the arm as best we can or splint it like I wanted to do with Neville’s leg?”

“Splint it. It’s a more stable method. I remember Ron could put his weight on his broken leg when Professor Lupin used a Splinting Spell on him at the end of third year…” She trailed off, her gaze becoming unfocused with the memory. After a moment, she shook her head asking, “How can I help?”

Ginny explained what she wanted to do and together they tried to align the bones a little better before she cast the spell. Hermione then returned to her bandage-making because she felt that wrapping Harry’s shoulder and chest manually would be better than making a magical mistake. The final step in the process was securing Harry’s arm across his body in an attempt to keep him from further injuring himself when they reversed the Stunning spells.

When they were done, Ginny began cleaning up their work area, speaking nervously as she worked around Harry. “I really hope we’ve done the right thing, Hermione,” she said fretfully. “I’m very worried about leaving Harry’s shoulder the way it is. It just doesn’t seem right to leave it dislocated like that.”

“What makes you say that?”

Ginny sat back on her heels, twisting Harry’s discarded shirt in her hands as she spoke. “I was barely old enough to understand what was happening the time Charlie fell off his broom and dislocated his shoulder. I remember he walked around for two days before Mum finally forced him to let her look at his injury. She locked the rest of us out of the house, threatening Fred and George with a week’s worth of degnoming if they even attempted to disturb her. Percy led us all out to the far end of the orchard because that was the farthest we could get away from the house and Mum-the-Healer without going to the Quidditch Pitch. We could hear Charlie’s yells clear out there even though I know she cast the most powerful pain reducing spell she knew before she set him right.” She paused, feeling miserable. “I think what I’m babbling about is that I’m scared we’re setting Harry up for more problems than he already has.”

Hermione knelt beside her and draped an arm around her shoulders. “I’m just as scared as you are, Ginny, but you’ve got to admit that what we did is better than just letting Harry’s injuries go untreated.” She glanced around the room. “From what I see here, your goal with everyone else is not to completely cure their ailments, but to lessen the affects and give some relief: I think that was our goal with Harry. Am I correct?”

When Ginny nodded, she went on. “I hope you’re keeping a record of what’s been happening here. It’ll be important later on.”

“I’ve been writing down everything I’ve done for people, so that when they see Madam Pomfrey she’ll know what I did. It just seemed the right thing to do,” Ginny said, and pointed toward the counter. “We need to make note of how we treated Harry, too. The parchment’s next to the cash drawer over there, I think. Will you write it all down?”

“Of course, Ginny. I’m sure Madam Pomfrey will be grateful for your notes.”

“I hope so.”

Hermione found the parchment and began scribbling furiously. Ginny again sat at Harry’s head and gently touched the scar on his forehead. It felt rather hot to the touch and she wondered absently what it felt like inside his head.

All of a sudden, she remembered Harry’s pendant and decided to remove it, thinking that its magic might interfere with the spells the healers would perform at diagnosis; she didn’t want anything to hamper Harry’s treatment. She felt around for the clasp and quickly undid it, drawing the two ends around to the front and gently tugging the phoenix from under Harry’s bandages. The necklace came into view and Ginny tucked it into her pocket for safekeeping.

“I’m done,” Hermione announced coming around the edge of the counter. “Do you want to revive him or should I?”

“You do it. You’re better at advanced spells like that and I want to stay right here.” She sighed heavily, worry creasing her forehead, and resumed running her fingers through Harry’s hair. The adrenaline she’d been running on the last forty-five minutes was ebbing away, leaving her drained and shaky.

Hermione pulled out her wand, but seemed to hesitate. “You’re sure you don’t want to do it?”

Ginny shook her head. “I can’t hold my wand steady enough for that spell right now. Please, you do it.”

“Very well. On three. One…two…three…Enervate!


End of Part Fifteen
Reviews 117
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear