Search:

SIYE Time:1:08 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Reaching Out
By Zelthian

- Text Size +

Category: Boxing Day Challenge (2004-6)
Characters:None
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 20
Summary: ** Winner of Best Seasonal/Traditional in the Boxing Day Challenge **
Hermione ropes the boys into a boxing day tradition, and Harry considers using the occasion to reach out to someone he despises to get answers he's wanted for years. Can Ginny give him the supports he needs to follow through with his plans?
Hitcount: Story Total: 4743







ChapterPrinter


A/N: As a member of the staff, I will be refraining from the voting process in the contest. I will also not be offering my opinions to the staff.
----------------------------- -----------------------------------

“I’ ve been doing some research, and I have a great idea.”

Harry had learned to fear these words. Every time Hermione uttered them, it meant she had come up with some scheme that would ultimately embarrass him and Ron, or at least draw unwanted attention to them. Now that they were in their last year at Hogwarts, Hermione was more determined than ever to win respect for the Hogwarts house elves, and now it seemed she had yet another plan.

It wasn’t like they could just ignore her. To do so would be an enormous mistake, as they had discovered over the years. Hermione would find a way to get her point across eventually and had grown fond of finding creative ways to do so. Harry wondered to himself if Ginny had something to do with her inventive methods of communication; something about them suggested a Weasley touch.

Harry glanced at Ron who was already looking at Harry. Together they sighed, put down their quills and gave Hermione their full attention.

“Not that I couldn’t use the break, Hermione, but can’t you give the spew thing a rest?” Ron said as bravely as he dared.

Right on cue, Hermione rolled her eyes dramatically. “Spew?”

Ron held on as long as he could, but eventually the smile formed. “Okay, okay, S.P.E.W., all right?”

Hermione nodded, satisfied, then leaned over and gave Ron a peck on the cheek. Harry marveled at the change; for a quick moment he actually missed the arguments. Now that they were going out it all seemed so… tame.

“That’s better,” Hermione said sweetly. “For your information, my idea doesn’t involve S.P.E.W.”

Ron’s face fell. Harry knew he was probably thinking the same thing he was: Hermione had found something new to obsess about, and they were about to be roped into helping her. They both sighed and braced themselves for the worst.

“I was thinking that, this year, we could celebrate Boxing Day together,” Hermione explained.

Ron looked confused. “Isn’t that already decided? I mean, since you’re coming to the Burrow for Christmas already; I reckoned you’d be there for Boxing Day too.”

“True, but you normally don’t...observe Boxing Day, do you?” Hermione said as delicately as she could.

Hermione’s tone immediately caught Harry’s attention, as did Ron’s reaction to Hermione’s question. The reality hit him hard; suddenly Harry wondered if Ron’s family had actually been visited on Boxing Day. He decided not to ask.

“No, not normally,” Ron admitted somewhat sadly.

“Well, I thought we could use the occasion to visit some of our friends and professors during the holidays.”

Ron thought for a moment. “Well, I guess that sounds like a good idea. What do you think, Harry?”

“I think it could be fun. Who are we going to visit?” Harry asked.

“Good question. I hadn’t gotten that far yet,” Hermione revealed.

“I know,” Ron interjected excitedly, “we can each choose someone to visit, and be in charge of the gift for that person.”

Hermione looked proudly at Ron. “That’s a great idea, Ron.”

Ron beamed, and Hermione rewarded him with another peck on the cheek. At first, Ron and Hermione’s sudden affection had seemed strange to Harry. Now he was used to it, and occasionally found himself somewhat jealous of them. They still treated him the same but had started taking quality time for themselves. Harry found ways to fill up this time, but he couldn’t help wishing he had someone special himself.

“We have over a month to come up with our person and our gift. That should be plenty of time,” Hermione stated.

“And we have another Hogsmeade visit before the start of Holiday that we can use to shop,” Harry observed.

Ron’s face suddenly went blank. “Shopping, yeah…”

Harry noticed, but Hermione had gone back to her homework. Ron shook himself out of his thoughts and did the same. Harry sighed again. It was probably better that he didn’t have a girlfriend anyway; Voldemort would surely try to use her to get to him. He put these thoughts out of his mind and went back to his homework.

~*~

“Knut for your thoughts.”

The voice broke Harry out of his brooding. He had been leaning on the fence looking out at the Shrieking Shack, thinking back to happier times. He was supposed to be shopping for his gift for Boxing Day, but he still hadn’t settled on a person yet. Instead he had come here to think, and he had been here for quite some time. He turned around to see who the voice belonged to and smiled briefly when he saw who it was.

“Hey Ginny,” he said, trying to sound cheerful.

Ginny walked up, stood next to him and leaned against the fence. Harry looked back to the Shrieking Shack.

“Hermione told me about your Boxing Day plans. She said I could come along if I wanted. I hope you don’t mind.”

Harry turned to Ginny. “Of course not. Why would I mind?”

Ginny shrugged. “Have you chosen your person yet?”

Harry hung his head, then turned back to the Shack. “Not really.”

After a moment he felt a hand on his shoulder. “Do you want to talk about it?” Ginny asked.

Harry’s first impulse was to shake his head, but he paused a moment, then said, “For some reason, Professor Snape keeps coming to mind.”

He expected Ginny to respond with shock and amazement and to tell him he was crazy. Instead, like so many times in recent memory, she surprised him by saying, “Go on.”

Harry stood up straight and faced Ginny. “Snape may be the grumpiest, meanest Professor at Hogwarts, but I can’t ignore the fact that he’s out there risking his neck to help the Order keep up with Voldemort. The more I think about it, the more I think he is the way he is because of how he was treated growing up.” Harry turned to look at the Shrieking Shack, remembering when Snape found Lupin and Sirius. “Even so, he has to be braver than we give him credit for. I mean, look at Wormtail: You remember what we told you about him, right?” Harry asked, turning back to Ginny, who nodded. Harry continued, “He’s so afraid of Voldemort he follows his every command, even when it disgusts him. Snape is different: he was a Death Eater, and he broke away and became a spy. That takes guts.” His speech complete, he turned back and resumed leaning on the fence.

Ginny didn’t say anything for a few moments. “You’re a special guy, you know that Harry?”

Harry smirked. “Don’t remind me.”

“Well, if you do choose Snape, I’ll certainly support your decision.” She kissed him quickly on the cheek and walked away humming to herself.

The humming caught Harry off-guard. Why was she humming? What did she have to be so happy about? She didn’t even have a boyfriend, which was rare for her. Ever since she started dating Michael Corner it seemed she always had a boyfriend. Still, she had broken off her last relationship when her boyfriend made a huge mistake, just like all her boyfriends had. She seemed to have a knack for choosing boyfriends who didn’t respect her as a person. If there was anything Ginny demanded, it was respect. She had been without a boyfriend since the beginning of summer, and Hermione thought the boys were now afraid to date her.

Still, Ginny seemed happy. Come to think of it, Ginny had never kissed him before. Then it hit him: Ginny kissed me.

He spun around quickly, but Ginny was gone. Instead, he was looking right at Professor Dumbledore, who had apparently snuck up on him.

“Lose something, Harry?” Dumbledore asked, somewhat amused.

“Oh, hello Professor. I didn’t hear you walk up.”

“I would have been very surprised if you had,” Dumbledore said, smiling.

Harry fidgeted uncomfortably. “Ginny was just here, but I didn’t see where she went off to.”

Dumbledore nodded as his expression turned more thoughtful. “I couldn’t help overhear some of your conversation. Miss Weasley was right: your desire to visit Professor Snape on Boxing Day is most admirable.”

Harry shrugged. “Do you think I’ll ever know why he is the way he is?”

“It’s difficult to say. Only Professor Snape is in a position to tell you everything. If your desire is truly to understand his past, and by association, your father’s, this Boxing Day visit is certainly a step in the right direction.”

Harry nodded. “I hope so, Professor.”

“If it will help things along, I do seem to recall that Professor Snape was always somewhat fond of Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans. It so happens that I noticed Miss Weasley headed towards Honeydukes.”

Harry thought he noticed a twinkle in Dumbledore’s eyes and wondered just how deep into his mind he could see. Dumbledore always seemed to understand things before Harry even got around to experiencing them. If Dumbledore was thinking what Harry thought he was thinking, then he wasn’t as crazy as he thought he might be. Ginny had certainly made her presence known over the last few years, and Harry had taken notice. He hadn’t told anyone, though: he knew Ginny had been over him for a while, and he didn’t want to put anyone in danger, especially her. Still, she seemed to be spending a lot of time with him lately, and had kissed him on the cheek mere moments ago.

“Now, if I may make a suggestion, I would suggest you make haste: you don’t have all day to spend in Hogsmeade, after all.”

“Right,” Harry said, suddenly a little panicked. “Right! Thank you Professor,” Harry said as he jogged off to Honeydukes. He walked in and spotted Ginny immediately; it was hard to miss the bright red hair of any Weasley, especially hers, which she wore long. He didn’t go right over to her; instead he bought a big box of Bertie Bott’s first. He then pretended to window-shop as he watched her buy a dozen or so Chocolate Frogs. He stood by the door as she paid; just as he intended, she noticed him as she turned to leave.

“Oh hi, Harry. I didn’t see you there. Did you decide what you’re going to do?” Ginny said as they walked out into the street.

Harry nodded. “I got a tip that Snape likes Every Flavor Beans,” he said as he held up the box.

Ginny wrinkled her nose. “Kinda makes you wonder what flavors he likes.”

“Who are the frogs for? Are they for Boxing Day?” Harry asked, pointing at the frogs.

Ginny nodded. “They’re for Neville. If there’s anyone who needs a bit of cheer around the Holidays, it’s him.”

“I’ll say,” Harry agreed. “Neville still amazes me. I’m not sure which would be worse, growing up knowing your parents died or that they had been driven insane.”

“Luna understands,” Ginny commented. “She may be strange, but she seems to know Neville like he was her brother.”

Harry had forgotten about Neville and Luna. He found it somewhat ironic that Neville had found someone special before he had, but he dismissed this thought quickly. Neville had allowed romance to happen in his life; Harry had not. If he had, Harry was sure he could have found someone. Not wanting to have a girlfriend didn’t make the absence of a girlfriend easier to deal with, Harry discovered; the more he thought about it, the more depressed it made him.

“I’m curious, Harry: have you thought of what you’re going to say to Snape?” Ginny asked as they walked.

“No, honestly,” Harry admitted. “I’m still trying to imagine myself walking up to him and handing him his present.”

“What’s the worst that could happen? He might sneer at you, but so what? At least you tried.”

Harry sighed. “I guess you’re right.”

They arrived at the station where the carriages waited to take them back to the castle. As they approached, Harry noticed Ron and Hermione near one of the front carriages. He was going to walk that way when he noticed they were very near to snogging. Ginny noticed he was staring and turned to see what he was looking at.

“There they are, let’s go.”

“Let’s not,” Harry said drearily.

Ginny turned to look at Harry with a confused look on her face. “Why not?”

“They seem to want to be alone just now,” Harry said as he walked over and entered the rearmost carriage. The last thing Harry wanted to do was watch his best friends snog happily. To his mild surprise, Ginny joined Harry in the carriage.

“If I didn’t know any better, I would think you were jealous of them,” Ginny said, crossing her arms.

Harry looked up at her; she was looking right at him in a way that reminded him of Hermione. He knew she could tell something was bothering him, and he had made his discomfort all too obvious. He decided to look down at his feet and say nothing.

“You know, if you want a girlfriend, most of the available girls at Hogwarts would be more than willing to date you, and some of the ones with boyfriends would dump them for the chance. Even some of the Slytherin girls would be tempted by the opportunity.”

“You’re just saying that. Besides, it’s not about that, really,” Harry said miserably.

“Oh? What is it about then?”

Classic Ginny, always right to the uncomfortable point. “Any girl I dated would be an instant target for Voldemort. How could I ever go out with someone knowing I would be putting them in danger?”

After a pause, Ginny replied, “Not all the girls at Hogwarts are afraid of Voldemort, Harry.”

Harry thought he caught something in the tone of Ginny’s voice. He looked up at Ginny again; she had on her determined, supportive expression. Harry smiled in spite of himself.

“I’ll give it some thought. Maybe if something happens, I’ll just let it happen. I don’t know.”

Ginny raised an eyebrow. “So there’s nobody you have particularly romantic feelings for?”

Harry’s stomach filled with butterflies. It was at times like these when Ginny was somewhat mischievous that Harry felt particularly attracted to her. He had been ignoring these feelings for some time now using the Voldemort Excuse to justify it. His instinct told him she had just been referring to herself, and if he was right, then that meant Ginny still had feelings for him, or maybe she had new feelings for him. Either way, there was a chance they could be together. He needed time to think.

“Maybe,” Harry dodged.

“Maybe? That sounds like a yes to me. Who is it?” Ginny asked teasingly.

Harry gave Ginny a playful mock-shock look. “Why do you want to know?”

“Well, I could work behind the scenes to see if she liked you the same way, you know?” Ginny said somewhat unconvincingly.

Harry sighed sincerely. “I’m just not ready to deal with it yet. I need some time to consider what you said about Voldemort.”

Ginny nodded. “I understand. I’m here if you want to talk, okay?”

Harry smiled. “Thanks Ginny.”

“There you two are,” a voice called from outside the carriage. Harry and Ginny turned to see Ron and Hermione approaching. “Get your shopping done?” Ron asked.

Harry nodded. “All done.”

“Who did you choose to visit, then?” Hermione asked as she and Ron entered the carriage.

Harry glanced at Ginny, then turned back to Hermione. “Maybe I should wait until we’re back in the common room to tell you.”

~*~

Harry sat in the family room of the Burrow sipping his Butterbeer and watching the fire crackle in the fireplace. The Christmas festivities had wound down, and everyone else had gone upstairs to prepare for bed. He glanced down again at the gifts he had received: clothes mostly, but then there were the presents from his friends: a high-quality quill from Hermione, a huge Chudley Cannons poster from Ron, but his favorite present was from Ginny: a scrapbook detailing the activities of the D.A. from inception through the first part of the current year. Harry grabbed the book again and flipped through the pages, marveling at the time it must have taken to gather the materials, sort and organize the photos and build the book complete with commentary. Ginny had certainly being paying attention, or at least she had done a lot of footwork. Either way, the end result was amazing.

“I take it you like my gift,” a voice said from the kitchen. Harry didn’t have to turn around to see who it was, but he did just the same. Ginny stood next to the table holding a tray.

“I do. I like it a lot,” Harry said, closing the book and setting it aside. “I thought you had gone to bed.”

Ginny shook her head. “I have one last present for you.” She motioned for Harry to join her in the kitchen. Harry stood up quickly and joined her by the table. He discovered she was holding a tray of sugar cookies shaped like lightening bolts.

“You made these for me?” Harry asked. Ginny nodded, smiling and blushing just a little. “Thanks,” Harry said somewhat sheepishly as he grabbed one and took a bite. They tasted as good as they looked.

“Have you decided what you’re going to say to Snape tomorrow?” Ginny asked as she put the tray down on the table.

Harry nodded. “I think so. It’s not going to be easy. I just hope he appreciates what I’m trying to do, though I’m not counting on it.”

Ginny nodded thoughtfully. “This was your last Christmas while you’re attending Hogwarts. Did you get everything you wanted?”

Harry noticed Ginny was giving him an odd look. He thought she was acting a bit coy, which was unlike her. She had been acting differently since their conversation in Hogsmeade; in fact, she seemed to always be available whenever Hermione and Ron were having “quality time”. Harry began wondering if she was trying to tell him something but didn’t press the issue, though he started catching his romantic thoughts about her growing more… intense. Now she had baked cookies just for him and was acting coy and apparently dropping subtle hints. He let a smile break on his face then tried unsuccessfully to suppress it.

“Yeah, I think so. I try not to expect things for Christmas; it just doesn’t seem right. Besides, it’s the thought that counts. Whatever I get, I appreciate.”

Ginny smiled. “Do you realize we are the only ones who didn’t get anything from the twins?”

Harry thought for a moment. “I didn’t realize that. Are you sure we’re the only ones who didn’t?”

Ginny nodded. “I checked twice. Strange, isn’t it?”

“Very strange,” Harry agreed.

Just then, something fell into Harry’s hair. He reached up and, after a moment of searching, plucked the object out of his mop and looked at it. It seemed to be a little red berry. Wondering how that got there, he looked up to realize he was standing under a sprig of mistletoe.

“That’s odd; I didn’t see that up there,” Harry said absently. Suddenly his stomach lurched as he realized he was standing under the mistletoe with Ginny and exactly what that meant. He slowly tilted his head down to look at her. She had obviously noticed the mistletoe too and was beginning to blush.

“Erm…” was all Harry could say.

“There’s nobody around, Harry. Nobody’s going to know. We don’t have to do it.”

Harry decided to take a chance. “What if I want to?” He could feel himself blushing.

Ginny’s eyes bulged for a split second, then her mischievous demeanor returned in earnest. “What if you do? Do you think I want to?”

“I don’t know,” Harry said, playing along. “Do you?”

“Maybe,” Ginny said, walking up and putting her arms around Harry’s neck.

Harry’s heart began beating very fast. “Maybe? That sounds like a yes to me…”

Ginny nodded. “Maybe.”

She didn’t wait any longer; she went up on her tiptoes, closed her eyes and planted a sweet, long kiss on Harry’s lips. She lingered long enough to get her point across, then let up and took a step back, dropping her hands to her sides and opening her eyes again. Harry watched as she let out a long breath, blushed some more and smiled.

“Not that I’m complaining, but why exactly did you want to do that?” Ginny asked suspiciously.

Harry forced a confused look onto his face. “Why wouldn’t I?”

Ginny shrugged a little, then bit her lip. “Do you, erm, want to do it again?”

Harry nodded slowly. “Absolutely.”

“Really?” Ginny asked softly.

Harry took Ginny’s hand and pulled her towards him. “Really.”

This time when Ginny put her hands around Harry’s neck, he put his hands around her waist. She came in slower this time and took her time with the kiss. Harry was just starting to relax and enjoy it when…

CRACK!

“Oh look Fred, they found the mistletoe,” a voice said, obviously George’s.

“Smart pair, these two,” Fred agreed.

Ginny broke off quickly and swung around to face them. “Do you two mind?”

“Not at all,” Fred said unabashed. “We just wanted to make sure you two found your present.”

“Happy Christmas then,” George added.

With another CRACK they were gone.

~*~

Harry finally put down the brush he had spent the last fifteen minutes using trying to get his hair to do something besides look like a mess for once. It just wasn’t meant to be. He had wanted to look somewhat presentable for Ginny, but for Snape as well. He wanted to do everything he could to convince Snape he was sincere, but it was obvious now his hair wasn’t going to cooperate. He checked himself out in the mirror one last time; he decided to wear the nice jumper Mrs. Weasley had given him for Christmas as well as his best trousers and shoes. Finally satisfied to some degree with how he looked, he turned to leave only to discover Ginny admiring him from the doorway.

“My, don’t we look handsome today,” Ginny said appreciatively.

Ginny was wearing a beautiful dress that complimented her hair and brought out her eyes. He had seen Ginny in a dress before but had never had the opportunity to be this close to her while she was wearing one. He took a moment to admire her beauty and smiled broadly.

“You’re looking particularly beautiful yourself,” he replied.

“I look okay then?” Ginny asked, holding out her arms so Harry could see her dress better.

Harry walked up to her, putting his arms around her waist. “Absolutely gorgeous.”

Ginny took the hint, letting Harry pull her into a soft kiss.

“Hem hem,” a voice from up the stairs coughed.

Ginny broke off the kiss with a frustrated look on her face. “Always when we’re snogging,” she said under her breath. Harry chuckled a little as he turned with Ginny to see who it was. They discovered Ron standing on the staircase a few steps away from them with his arms crossed. Hermione stood behind him with an amused look on her face

“Would you mind explaining yourself, Mr. Potter?” Ron asked as seriously as he could manage.

Ginny and Hermione rolled their eyes at the same time. Harry had a hard time keeping a straight face.

“Surely you’re not THAT thick, Ron,” Ginny said firmly. “Do you really need us to explain it to you?”

Ron and Ginny stood there staring at each other, arms crossed, neither of them budging. Hermione decided to intervene; she placed a hand on Ron’s shoulder and said, “Down boy.”

Ron glanced at Hermione and finally let the smile creep onto his face. “I couldn’t let them off that easy.”

“Right,” Ginny said. “If you don’t mind, I was just about to get in a good snog with my boyfriend, so run along, won’t you?”

“Fine,” Ron said, grabbing Hermione’s hand. “I’ll just go snog somebody, myself. Come on Hermione…”

Ron led Hermione downstairs, not looking back. Hermione did though, taking time to give Ginny a wink. Once they were gone, Ginny quickly turned back to face Harry to give him her belated kiss. “Much better.”

“I couldn’t agree more,” Harry said. “Do you think Ron will back off at all?”

“Oh, I think so,” Ginny said confidently. “He’s actually been trying to get me to ask you out ever since the train ride back from Hogwarts after my fourth year.”

“Has he?” Harry said, looking back down the staircase after Ron. “That explains a lot.”

“You know, I was beginning to wonder if you would ever notice me,” Ginny said somewhat sadly.

Harry turned back to face Ginny. “It’s not that I didn’t notice you, Ginny. Trust me, I noticed you. I just didn’t want to run the risk of getting anyone hurt, especially you. But then we had that chat on the carriage at Hogsmeade, and ever since… well, I’ve had to reconsider.”

Ginny reached up and ran the back of her fingers down Harry’s cheek. “That’s one of the things I’ve always admired about you; you always think of others before yourself. I bet that’s why Snape hates you; he can’t stand that James Potter’s son has turned out to be such a wonderful wizard.”

“Maybe,” Harry said thoughtfully. “I always thought he was taking all the anger he had built up for my father and was dumping it all out on me.”

“You sure you want to go through with this?” Ginny asked with some concern.

Harry sighed, and then nodded.

Ginny wrapped her arm around Harry’s. “Okay then. I’ll be there with you.”

Harry kissed Ginny on the cheek. “Thanks.”

Ginny smiled cutely, wrinkling her nose as she did. She then started down the stairs, pulling Harry behind her. They arrive in the living room to find Ron and Hermione gathering up their things.

“Are you sure that’s the right box?” Hermione was asking Ron.

“Yes, I wrapped it myself,” Ron assured her.

“I though this one was…”

“I wouldn’t touch that box if I were you,” Ron interrupted quickly.

Hermione stopped and pulled her hand back slowly. “Why not?”

“Fred and George decided they liked our Boxing Day idea, so they’re going to visit some friends of their own. That’s one of Fred’s boxes,” Ron explained.

“Oh,” Hermione said, taking a step back. “Thanks for the warning.”

“Get your snogging done then?” Ginny asked as she and Harry went for their boxes.

“Not that it’s any of your business, but yeah,” Ron replied, acting annoyed.

“Who are we visiting first?” Harry asked, having retrieved his box.

“Neville, then Hagrid, Lupin and finally Snape,” Ron repeated from memory.

“Saved Snape for last, huh?” Harry asked with concern.

“We reckoned you’d want to save Snape for last, you know, so you had time to prepare,” Hermione explained.

Harry nodded slowly. “Right. Let’s get to it, then.”

As they walked to the fireplace, Harry asked, “Has anyone warned Neville’s Grandmother that we’re coming?”

“I sent her an owl,” Hermione replied. “She knows, but Neville doesn’t.”

They took turns in the fireplace until they were all standing in the living room of Neville’s Grandmother’s house. She was waiting.

“Is that everyone? Very good. I’ll go get Neville. He’s out back with another one of his friends…” she said as she headed towards the back door.

“I bet everyone a Galleon it’s Luna,” Ron said quickly.

“What makes you say that?” Hermione teased.

“Look over by the tree; they left most of the boxes out from yesterday. There’s a little one in the back with some strange wrapping paper. It’s obvious Luna probably made that box.”

Hermione chuckled. “And you don’t think it could be just because Neville and Luna are going out?”

Ron blushed. “Oh yeah.”

“Well, what brings you guys here?” Neville asked as he walked into the living room covered in snow. Luna followed close behind.

“Happy Boxing Day!” Ginny stepped forward with her box as they cheered.

Neville took the box smiling. “Thanks guys! You didn’t have to do this!”

“We thought we’d stop by and spread some holiday cheer,” Ginny explained.

Neville tore through the wrapping and opened his box. “Oh wow, thanks! Chocolate Frogs are my favorite!”

“We’d stay to help you enjoy them, but it seems you already have someone to share with,” Ron said with a wink. He barely avoided Hermione’s very swift elbow.

Neville had gone positively red. Luna just smiled slyly, grabbed a chocolate frog out of the box and motioned for Neville to follower her back outside.

“I take it Luna likes Chocolate Frogs too?” Ginny asked.

Neville blushed some more. “You know very well that she does, Ginny.”

Ginny grabbed Harry’s arm and snuggled up to him. “You’re welcome, Neville.”

Neville stood there somewhat embarrassed for a moment before finally saying, “Well, I’m going to go back outside with Luna, you guys want to join me?”

“We’ve got some others to visit today. You go ahead; don’t keep Luna waiting,” Ginny said.

“Right. Thanks again, guys.”

“You’re welcome,” they said and waved to Neville as he left.

“That was very kind of you,” Neville’s grandmother commented.

“How are Neville’s parents?” Hermione asked. “Any change?”

“No, no change,” Neville’s grandmother said with a sigh. “I really don’t expect they’ll every fully recover. Neville’s had to come to terms with that. I think he’s finally decided that there isn’t anything he can do for them. I keep trying to tell him they wouldn’t want him to spend the rest of his life mourning for them. They’d want him to live a long, happy and full life, that’s what I said. He’s finally taking it to heart, I think.”

“I’d say,” Harry agreed. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen him this happy.”

“No kidding,” Ron said. “We should go; three more people to visit.”

“Where are we meeting Hagrid, anyway?” Harry asked.

“Hogwarts,” Hermione said. “Dumbledore set up his fireplace on the Floo network today so we could visit him.”

Moments later they stood in front of Hagrid’s fireplace brushing the ash off their clothes.

“I wonder where he is,” Ron said aloud.

“He’s probably out feeding some of the animals,” Ginny guessed.

“Good, we have time to hide then,” Hermione smiled.

“Not as much as you’d think, here he comes!” Harry said as he pointed out the window. Four Gryffindors scrambled in different directions to duck out of sight.

A split second later Hagrid opened the door and came in, shaking snow off of his clothes as he did.

“Come on Fang, out of the cold boy,” Hagrid called out the door. Harry could hear Fang growling from out side the hut. “Come’on boy, what’s gotten into ya?”

“Happy Boxing Day!” they said together as they came out of their hiding spots.

Hagrid turned to face them. “Well, look who’s here! You lot didn’t come all this way just for me, did ya?”

“We sure did,” Ron said, handing Hagrid his present.

“What you’d go off and do?” Hagrid said, taking the wrapping off the gift. Harry realized it was a large framed photograph of Norbert, a dragon Hagrid had raised for a short time.

“Where did ya get this?” Hagrid asked, obviously surprised.

“Charley sent it to me,” Ron explained. “I asked him how Norbert was doing. Charley says Norbert was doing great; he’s the strongest dragon in the reserve.”

A tear fell from Hagrid’s eye. “I don’t know what to say. Thank you!”

“You’re welcome Hagrid,” Ron said shaking his hand, then walked up and gave him hug. Everyone followed suit.

“You kids are the best,” Hagrid said between hugs.

“Charley also said to tell you that if you ever wanted to visit Norbert, just send him an owl and he’ll make the arrangements,” Ron said after everyone had their turn.

Hagrid looked at his new picture and wiped away a tear. “Do ya think he’d remember me?”

“I wouldn’t be surprised,” Hermione said. “You were the first person to care for him.”

“Let me make you kids lunch. It’s the least I could do.”

~*~

“Can you believe Neville?” Ron asked between sips as they sat in the living room of Number 12 Grimmauld Plac.

“No, he’s changed so much!” Harry commented.

“All he really needed was a nudge in the right direction,” Ginny said. “I’ve been talking to Luna for a while. She may be different, but deep down she’s as normal as the rest of us. She really started seeing Neville differently after the battle at the Ministry. After that, all it took was a nudge here and there.”

“You played match-maker with Neville and Luna?” Hermione asked in disbelief.

“Yup,” Ginny replied, unabashed.

Hermione blinked twice. “I’m impressed.”

“Thank you!” Ginny said brightly.

“Hagrid seemed taken with his present,” Harry commented.

“I’m glad,” Ron nodded, sipping his pumpkin juice. “As soon as I starting thinking about what to get him, I remembered Norbert. All it took was one owl to Charley to get it.”

“It was perfect,” Hermione said approvingly, snuggling further into Ron’s chest. Ron responded with a squeeze.

“Speaking of, I’m curious: What did you get for Professor Lupin?” Harry asked.

“Some new robes. It’s wool, and I had it fitted just for him. I thought he could use it now that we’re dead on into winter. I hope he likes it.”

“I’m sure he will,” Harry assured her, “but remind me; why are we here and not going to Lupin’s house?”

“Because Lupin and Snape are spending the holiday on official Order business?” Hermione reminded him for the third time.

Just then they heard a sound coming from the direction of the front door, followed closely by a voice calling, “Anyone home?”

“That’s him,” Hermione whispered as loudly as she dared. “Everyone in position.”

Harry jumped behind the couch; Ginny joined him. Ron and Hermione disappeared behind the opposite couch.

“Now this is odd,” the voice said as it entered the living room. “I could have sworn I heard movement from this direction…”

“Surprise!” Harry and Ginny joined Ron and Hermione as they sprung into a standing position to surprise their former Professor.

“It seems I was correct. What’s this all about?” Lupin asked as he shook hands with each of them as they came from behind the couches.

Hermione went to the hall closet and retrieved Lupin’s new robe, which was covered with a long, plain brown bag.

“Happy Boxing Day, Professor,” she said as she handed it to him.

“For me?” Lupin asked as he took the robe. “You guys really shouldn’t have.”

They said nothing as they watched Lupin unwrap his robes. The smile on his face spoke volumes.

“Oh, Hermione, they are just lovely,” Lupin said as he held out the robes at arm’s length. “I had been meaning to purchase some new robes, but I don’t think I would have picked out something like this.”

“Maybe you should try them on,” Hermione suggested.

“Yes, I believe I shall, I’ll be right back,” Lupin nodded as he headed off to the lavatory, not taking his eyes off the robes.

“I told you,” Harry said.

“Did you see his face?” Ron asked. “Do you think he’s ever owned robes that nice?”

“It wouldn’t surprise me if he hadn’t,” Ginny said.

Lupin returned from the lavatory wearing his new robe. They fit perfectly and looked incredibly dashing on him. He was smiling from ear to ear.

“Marvelous, just marvelous,” he said as he entered the living room. “Thank you all so much.”

“You’re welcome,” Hermione replied. “Having a good holiday?”

“It has certainly been interesting,” Lupin said as he clasped his hands behind his back, “though it has been quiet. I’m still not entirely sure if that’s a good thing.”

“Let’s hope so,” Harry said with a sigh. “I could use some quiet for a change.”

“Always quietest before the storm, Harry,” Lupin reminded. Harry nodded, but didn’t respond. “Speaking of storm, rumor has it that Professor Snape is scheduled to arrive here shortly. Is that true?” Again, Harry nodded but said nothing.

After a somewhat uncomfortable silence, Ginny looked at Lupin and nodded towards Harry.

“I see,” Lupin said, eyeing Harry suspiciously. “I take it your gift will be a sincere one.”

Before anyone could respond, a noise from the front of the house alerted them to someone arriving. Harry had no time to prepare before Snape was standing in the living room, staring them all down.

“Will somebody please explain to me exactly what is going on?” he asked with his familiar snooty snarl.

Lupin walked casually up to Snape, hands in his pockets. “Severus, has anyone told you that you might just be the grumpiest wizard on the face of the earth?”

Snape’s eyes narrowed at Lupin. “Pulling me away from official Order business for some silly tradition should concern any reputable wizard.”

“That’s funny Severus, I wasn’t aware you were a reputable wizard,” Lupin shot back.

Snape crossed his arms. “Reputable enough to acquire tenure at Hogwarts, unlike some other professors…”

“Professor!” Harry exclaimed in protest. Lupin hung his head slightly. Snape eyed Harry with shock.

Lupin turned back to Hermione, Ron and Ginny. “Why don’t the four of us go get an ice cream?”

“We’re not leaving Harry with him,” Ron said firmly.

“I’ll be okay,” Harry said over his shoulder. “You three go with Lupin. This is something I need to do.”

Lupin led Hermione and Ron to the fireplace. Ginny walked over and put a hand on Harry’s shoulder. “Are you sure about this?”

Harry didn’t take his eyes off of Snape. “I’m sure. I’ll be fine.”

Ginny have him a peck on the cheek, then left through the fireplace.

“Severus,” Lupin said, turning to face Snape, “I have it on good authority that Dumbledore is still upset about the whole Occlumency thing. Just thought you’d want to know.” He turned and left through the fireplace.

“Let’s get this over with, shall we, Potter?” Snape said impatiently.

Harry said nothing, but held out his plainly wrapped box to Snape, who took it quickly.

“Is that all?” Snape asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Open it. Please.”

Looking as annoyed as possible, Snape opened his box to discover the Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans Harry had bought him. He examined the box suspiciously.

“I just wanted to thank you for all the work you are doing for the Order. I imagine what you are doing must be very dangerous, and I wanted you to know that, even though we don’t get along, I do appreciate what you are doing.” Harry forced himself to look at Snape sincerely.

Snape turned his suspicions from the beans to Harry. “What’s this about, Potter?”

Harry took a deep breath has he gathered his courage. “I want to understand why.”

“Why what?”

“Why you do it… Why you were a Death Eater, why you changed your mind and turned spy, why Dumbledore trusts you and why you stay loyal to him. I also want to know if any of it had to do with my mum and dad.”

Snape crossed his arms again and looked severely at Harry. “Are you certain you want to know?” he asked slowly.

Harry looked him in the eye and nodded.

“Very well, Potter. Sit down.”

~*~

Harry left the Leaky Cauldron on his way to the ice cream shop. His mind was still swimming with what he had learned from Snape. He never imagined his least-favorite Professor would tell him so much, but once he started it had just flowed out of him. As he thought about it, it seemed Snape had been waiting to tell the story for a long time and had finally found the opportunity to do so. Now he knew and he would never be able to look at Hogwarts’ Potions Master the same way.

Harry spotted Lupin sitting with his friends and made his way over, listening in on their conversation as he approached.

“Can we please go back and check on him? It’s been two hours already!” Ron was saying.

“Ron’s right, Professor Lupin, it’s been an awful long time,” Hermione agreed.

“Hermione, how many times do I have to ask you? Please, call me Remus. And Harry is fine, don’t worry.”

“I just hope Snape behaves himself,” Ginny said, setting her jaw.

Ginny was seated facing away from Harry as he approached. He snuck up behind her and put his hands around her neck.

“Harry!” his three friends said in unison. Ginny stood up, turned towards him and pulled him into a hug. Harry held on to her tightly.

“Are you okay?” she asked into his ear.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” Harry replied quietly.

Ginny pulled away and looked at him. “Did he tell you what you wanted to know?”

Harry met Ginny’s eyes and nodded. He watched as Ginny’s expression changed a dozen times. Finally, she said, “As much as I want to know, I won’t ask you to tell me. You probably need time to let it all sink in. I would certainly understand if you never told anyone else.”

“One day, Ginny,” Harry said. “For now, it has to stay between me and Professor Snape.”

“And that is as it should be,” Lupin said before Ron could interject.

“Let’s get back to the Burrow,” Harry said. “I need some time to think.”

~*~

“All right there, Harry?” Lupin said, looking in on Harry. Harry turned from looking out of Ron’s window to Lupin and smiled.

“It’s going to be interesting going back to Hogwarts knowing what I know. Snape is still the grumpiest wizard on earth, but now I can’t help having a new respect for him.”

“Respect, yes,” Lupin nodded. “However, his history is still no excuse for how he has treated you.”

Harry nodded, and then turned back to the window.

“Are you planning on staying in here all night? Everyone is worried about you, particularly Ginny.”

Harry couldn’t stop the smile that came to his face. “She always seems to say the right thing at the right time.”

“You should have heard what she said earlier.”

Harry turned back quickly to look at Lupin. “What did she say?”

Lupin chuckled. “She threatened to Bat Bogey Hex Professor Snape every day for the rest of the school year if he harmed a single unmanageable hair on your head. She seemed quite willing to live in detention for doing it, too.”

Harry laughed. “Knowing her, she probably would.”

“You two seem to be quite fond of each other,” Lupin observed.

Harry blushed. “We, erm, started going out yesterday.”

“I see,” Lupin said, putting his hand to his chin. “How much have you told her about Voldemort and the prophecy?”

“Nothing,” Harry sighed. “I’ll have to tell her part of it, at least. She already suspects there’s a connection, though, and it didn’t seem to scare her away.”

Lupin was smiling broadly. “Well, perhaps you should come out and let everyone know you’re all right.”

“Sure,” Harry said, standing up and following Lupin out the door. They arrived to find the living room empty except for Ginny. Harry got the distinct impression he had just been set up.

“Good night, you two. Sweet dreams,” Lupin bowed as he entered the fireplace and left.

“Happy Boxing Day, Harry,” Ginny said before Harry could ask what was going on. She handed him a plain wrapped box.

“Ginny, you didn’t have to…”

“Just open it,” Ginny interrupted.

Harry pulled of the wrapping paper and opened the box to find a small pin in the shape of a crest with the letter “P” in the center.

“Dad was cleaning out part of the garage one day when he found it. It’s your family crest. I asked him if I could give it to you today.”

“Why today?” Harry asked. “Why not for Christmas instead?”

“Some traditions hold that gifts are given on Boxing Day to those who have rendered a service to the family giving the gift,” Ginny explained. “You have done so much for my family, I thought it would mean more if I gave it to you today.”

Harry pinned the emblem to his jumper, then pulled Ginny into a warm hug. “Thank you. It’s perfect. Like you.”

Ginny pulled back and looked Harry in the eye. “Now, this is one tradition I would like to start:” With that, she pulled Harry into a long, passionate kiss.
Reviews 20
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear