Search:

SIYE Time:11:17 on 19th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Mistress for Christmas
By Kiss Magdalena

- Text Size +

Category: Boxing Day Challenge (2004-6)
Characters:None
Genres: Comedy, Fluff, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 24
Summary: ** Winner of Best Humor in the Boxing Day Challenge **
Harry learns what it means to have a mistress for christmas only after: being chased through a miniature town, leaving Dobby in a prison, being stuck in Snape's house, igniting Ginny's stockings, wearing spandex, and getting hold of Snape's Fire Whiskey...
Hitcount: Story Total: 4790







ChapterPrinter


Mistress for Christmas

AN: Title credit goes to AC/DC song, titled thusly, on the album Razor’s Edge. If you’ve yet to experience AC/DC, then I highly suggest you find a way to do so.

-----------

Higgle was one of the few house-elves that resided at number 16 Pembroke Lane. As ancient as the house itself, or so he appeared to be, Higgle had seen many interesting and furthermore, disturbing things in his lifetime. With a life spanning 210 years, he was rather old for his kind, and missing more marbles that one rightly should. His eyes were too big for his sunken sockets that appeared even bigger due to his lack of hair on his head. Unfortunately, his bald head was made up for by the huge amounts of fur sprouting from his curly ears. What had once been a wretched smile that inspired his even more dreaded master’s smirk, was now lost to the rows of broken teeth and wrinkles.

This ancient creature was continuing his daily task of filing his teeth when the doorbell to his master’s residence rang. Letting out a few curse words that rivaled the sailors of his time, Higgle dutifully moved toward the door, throwing his file into the pile of rubbish he had collected over the years. His once ferial smile in place, the butler elf cracked the large wooden doors and peered through with his big black eyes.

Those oversized eyes that had once caused him grief while trying to woo the house-elf next door, grew even wider as they fell upon the spectacle before him.

“I’d rather freeze to death than have you put another ‘warming’ charm on me Harry!” The little redhead screamed out, her cheeks a dark red.

“I’ve told you, for the hundredth time, it was a mistake! Hermione just told me the incantation without practice!” The boy shot back. His own cheeks were slowly turning red in fury.

“Well you should know to listen carefully! If you get the wrong incantation something like THAT happens…”

Harry’s cheeks turned redder, this time from embarrassment as opposed to furry. He shifted uncomfortably under her searing gaze before sighing.

“You know we are supposed to be singing.” He mumbled his voice hoarse from the cold air.

“Does it look like I want to sing, Harry James Potter? Does it?”

Harry shifted again. “No.” He whispered faintly, just enough so she could hear.

“Right!” Ginny let out a frustrated growl, shifting the bag of boxes in her arms. “My legs are blue, I’m stuck in a stripper’s version of Mrs. Cringle’s outfit, and I’m standing outside Professor Snape’s home with a guy who can’t do a simple warming charm without igniting my garters.” To show the damage Harry had apparently done to her garters she stuck out a leg and pointed at the stocking that was bunched around her ankle.

Harry gulped, his eyes resting on her leg for a bit longer than he thought was necessary, before glancing at the door that was cracked. His eyes widened as he realized they had an audience. Ginny apparently noticed this as well, for a second later she was standing straight as a board and smoothing the puffy skirt that made up her Mrs. Clause outfit.

Higgle glanced at the redhead and then the black haired boy with spectacles. The girl was dressed in a skimpy, red felt dress that puffed out around her thighs. There was a big silver buckle that fitted it to her waist, and white stockings that Higgle assumed had once been held up by her now deceased garters. Her red hair was everywhere, apparently having been in the wind for a long period of time. Her cheeks were flushed, and her teeth were chattering loudly. She shuddered for a moment, though she managed to keep a sense of authority despite her appearance.

The boy, whom the girl had called Harry Potter, was dressed like a defunct house-elf. It was the type of dress that most house-elves found extremely insulting. Dressed in green spandex, little shoes with bells on the tips, and a shirt that was as long as Ginny’s dress, tied off with a belt around the waist, it was a rather scary sight. His black hair peeked out of the little elfin hat that sat askew on his head.

Both looked murderous.

His moment of shock over, Higgle opened the doors a little wider and stuck his head out.

“Can Higgle helps you?”

Harry straightened and nodded quickly. “Umm, yes. Is this Severus Snape’s residence?”

Higgle nodded, his eyes narrowing for a second. “Yes, ‘tis the Master’s home.”

“Is Professor Snape here?” The redhead asked, slinging the bag of boxed presents over her shoulder. Or so that’s what Higgle assumed they were. He had been warned by his master that students might come bearing gifts. Honestly, Higgle had thought it codswollop. Who would want to give a gift to his master?

“No, the master is not in.”

Harry, looking rather relieved, glanced at the red head. She didn’t look back, but stared at the little house-elf with interest.

“Will he be back anytime soon?”

The house-elf glanced at her, his cheeks turning a little red. She was cute, he thought.

“No, miss.”

Ginny sighed. “Is there anyway we could use you’re master’s fireplace to floo back to Hogwarts? We are freezing and have finished our work.”

For a moment the house-elf thought about denying the cute redhead this favor, but considering he was a softy for women, he decided to allow them the chance to get back to Hogwarts. Of course, for such a favor, they would have to pay him one back.

Higgle stepped away from the door and allowed them entrance. Once inside he closed the door after them, a rather devious grin on his ancient face.

“Misses must be freezing. Would you two be liking some coco?” Both nodded as the little elf appeared before them. He quickly directed them out of the hallway and into a small den where the fireplace was crackling merrily.

“Have a seat!” He commanded cheerily, happy to have some company. Considering his master rarely visited his mansion during the school year, and the two other resident house-elves rarely paid him any attention, Higgle was overjoyed to have someone to talk to.

Quickly he produced two cups of hot chocolate and pulled himself into a chair across from them. Harry and Ginny sat beside each other on a rather uncomfortable, leather couch. Both shifted uncomfortably as the house-elf gazed at them. They quickly downed their drinks before standing up.

“Thank you, very much, but we must be going. Which fireplace would you prefer we use?” Ginny asked, wincing as her stockings slid further into her shoe.

“Fireplaces? They not be working for the night.”

Ginny froze. “But, I thought you said…”

“Higgle bees saying you can use ‘em, but not when.” Higgle smiled at them.

“So when can we use them?” Harry asked, his eyebrow lifted in surprise. He suddenly looked very uncomfortable. Higgle’s smile grew.

“Misses and Mister will wait ‘till morning.”

Ginny and Harry froze. “What? We can’t wait!” Ginny screeched, rubbing her temples.

“Come on Ginny, we’ll just walk back to Hogsmeade and floo from there.” Harry offered as he glared at the house-elf.

“That can’t happen.” Higgle replied even more cheerfully. “The house locks down at nine. It be ten past.”

“What?” Both stared at him in unison, Ginny’s broken voice screeching.

“Have a seat.” Higgle grinned madly. “Higgle hasn’t had visitors in centuries.”

Ginny and Harry settled into the couch as the doors to the den slammed shut behind them. There were no windows from which to escape, and both were no fools to take on the house-elf. He might be bonkers, but he was still five times more powerful than them together.

“Tell Higgle why you are here. Higgle knows Hoggy-warty’s children give out boxes, but why?”

Ginny and Harry stared at each other, their faces flushed with anger and exhaustion. Finally Harry sighed and settled into the couch.

“I have this friend called…”

------------------

“Hermione! ” Ginny ran down the corridor, panting. The little brunette witch turned around just in time to see the whole of the Quiditch team rushing at her from across the long corridor leading to the library. For a moment her eyebrows knit together in confusion.

Hermione stopped and waited for them to reach her, shifting her books to her side. Harry slid in front of her; his breathing heavy as he tried to catch is breath. The rest of the team piled up behind him, Ron appearing beside him. Slowly the group spread out so everyone could see her.

“Colin said there was something going on in the common room.” Ron breathed his eyes wide. Hermione nodded at the group.

“Yes, it’s about the boxes, Ron.”

Ron stared at her blankly for a moment until his face suddenly lit up. “The boxes.” He smiled and straightened. “We got approval?”

Hermione nodded. “Come on, then. We need to hurry.”

They group quickly made their way to the Gryffindor Common room. It was stuffed with students upon entering and a steady stream of them was still pouring in. Once it appeared everyone had been accounted for the prefects crowded into the center of the room. Considering neither Head Boy nor Head girl had come from Gryffindor this year, all eyes fell on the two seventh year prefects by the name of Isabella Donald and Daren Coldbee. Daren was the first to speak, so the crowd of prefects parted to give everyone a view of him.

“As we all know Dumbledore has given each House a part in the planning of the Christmas Festivities this year in hopes of starting a new tradition to promote unity. Our part in the festivities is the giving of gifts. Since Dumbledore made it clear he wanted each house to come up with a unique tradition for all the years to follow in the future, we have decided how to handle the giving of presents.

Some of you may be aware of the box giving tradition. For those of you who are not: on the day after Christmas simple boxes were given to servants, merchants, and trades people from the nobles. These boxes included small gifts of food, goodies, and money. We intend to start this tradition in Hogwarts, only with a slight edge. Everyone will be paired up and given three places to deliver gifts. These gifts will go to various merchants, teachers, and workers of the wizarding world. Each pair is expected to find and deliver three gifts to their designated persons or beings.”

Daren nodded as Isabella broken in, her high pitched voice ringing through the audience.

“Now, all gifts will be delivered to the homes or businesses of the individuals. This means that we will be leaving Hogwarts grounds. Due to the current state of things, and the sheer stupidity of teenagers, Dumbledore requires that all pairs have a house-elf to chaperone them and help them port key to their destinations.

Now, for all of you wondering, partners have already been posted on the bulletin board, as well as those whose gifts you shall be taking care of. I’m sure you all will make this event as wonderful as possible, so we’ll let you get to it. Remember the deadline is in three weeks. All presents are due to inspection at that time. So get to work!”

The common room erupted as everyone rushed toward the bulletin board. Harry was about to get up when Hermione walked over and put a hand on his shoulder, glancing at the slew of Gryffindors fighting over the list on the bulliten board with irritation.

“No need, you were paired with Ginny. Originally she was paired with Seamus, but Ron wouldn’t have any of that. He was afraid Seamus would be all over her upon learning what everyone is required to wear. He would have paired her with himself, but the prefects have to stay behind to monitor the fireplaces and the Alley ways in case of emergency.”

“What do you mean wear?” Ginny asked, leaning on the back of the chair Harry was sitting in. Hermione had motioned her over before telling them they were paired together.

Hermione sighed. “I promise, it was all Isabella’s idea. You know how she gets into dressing everyone up and all…”

“We have to dress up? As what?” Harry asked, a sinking feeling in his stomach. He didn’t like the sound of this.

“All guys are required to dress up as either Chris Kringle or elves depending on you’re size. Girls are given the choice of an elf or Mrs. Clause. More than likely Harry will be an elf and you’ll be Mrs. Clause.”

“You are kidding, right?” Harry asked, his eyes wide. Hermione shook her head.

“You also have to sing carols.”

Ginny snorted. “We’ll that’s classy. Why didn’t she mention it earlier?”

“You’re not supposed to find out about that until the presents are turned in. Daren knew the idea of dressing up wouldn’t be well liked, so he figured if everyone already put the time into doing the presents they wouldn’t back down upon learning they had to dress up and sing.”

“That’s just lovely.” Harry sighed.

“So who are our gift receivers?” Ginny asked.

Hermione pulled as sheet of paper from one of her many book and scanned it. “Um, McGonagall, Slug and Jiggers Apothecary, and Professor Flitwick are who you shall be taking care of.”

“That’s not too bad.” Ginny shrugged, pushing off the back of the chair.

“Yeah, at least we didn’t get Snape.” Harry mumbled.

Hermione nodded. “Well, feel sorry for Neville then.”

Ginny and Harry glanced at each other before looking at Hermione in shock. “They gave him to Neville?”

“Unfortunately.”

----------- ---------------

“So, what do you give a Apothecary owner for Christmas?” Seamus asked, catching a grapefruit at it came flying toward him from across the boy’s dorm room. Ron’s groans could be heard from on top of his bed as he helped Hermione shuffle through boxes of fruit and confections.

Ginny looked up from the pile of ribbons and tape that surrounded her. “Bathsalts.”

Seamus raised an eyebrow, as did everyone else in the room, save Harry.

“Pardon, did you say Bath salts?” Seamus chocked out.

“Not just any bathsalts, Aeromatherapy Bath salts. After all the owner of an Apothecary shop would really be into bath salts. What women aren’t?”

“And who is to say the owner is a woman?” Neville chirped up.

Ginny thought about this a moment, her head cocked to the side. She eventually shrugged. “What sane man would waste their life away selling love potions?”

“When you put it that way…” Seamus trailed off, shaking his head. “I’d have to agree with you.”

“Here, here.” Ron added, chunking another unknown fruit at Seamus.

Seamus caught it quickly and handed it to Neville who deposited it into one of his three boxes.

“So, Harry, is this the same logic used earlier while choosing the contents of you’re three boxes. All three seem to be piled with bath salts.” Ginny glared at Seamus from where she was tying a ribbon around one of the boxes.

“No.” Harry grinned. “You should have heard what she said earlier. It was something about ‘everyone needs some therapy’, except her. I think she just doesn’t like how they smell and is trying to give them away.”

Harry ignored the glare Ginny was sending him. “I am not just trying to get rid of the bath salts. I just don’t use them since I don’t need any aromatherapy.”

“Hey, Gin? Is that the stuff Bill’s girlfriend sent you after you singed her eyebrows when she claimed she was angry when Bill had gone back to red hair after his stage of dying it black? Bill said she sent those in hopes they would calm you down.” Ron asked.

Ginny turned her glare to Ron before grabbing a piece of fruit from Seamus’ box and chunking it at her older brother.

“Why should I calm down when it feels so good to throw things?” Ginny smirked as it hit him in the chest and rolled back into the box.

Harry chuckled, grabbing the box Ginny had finished wrapping and stretching his arms. “That’s all of them. We’re done.”

“Really? You finished decorating the other two?” Ginny asked, looking at the pile and then scrunching her nose.

“Honestly, Harry?” She picked up one of the boxes with stripes of mix-matched ribbons tapped all over it. It looked as if pixies had found a way to make tape and confetti explode. She couldn’t even get the lid off the thing.

Ron glanced down at the box Ginny picked up and smirked. “It’s obvious Luna probably made that box. That’s what it looks like, anyway.” He sung nonchalantly. Harry grabbed the box, looking slightly hurt.

“It’s not my fault I don’t know how to wrap with this stuff.” He pointed at the magic tape and ribbons that were scattered across the floor. “I think I did a good job considering the tape kept shocking me every time it didn’t like the color ribbon I picked.”

Ginny let out a laugh and took the box back. “Okay, Harry. You’re excused. Next time just ask me if you need to know how to calm the tape, though. I don’t think the world could deal with another monstrosity such as this.”

“And that is supposed to make him feel better, how?” Seamus grinned, leaning over to glance at the box. At that point Ron shot off the bed; obviously under the impression Seamus was too close to his sister than was good for him.

“You know what I just thought of, Seamus?” He called, jumping over the piles of boxes and things that littered the floor so he stood in front of the blonde. Seamus looked up, confused.

“No.”

“Supper is an hour away, and we have to get these boxes back to the House-elves so they can start cooking with them. I’ll need all the help I can get, so help me move them.”

Seamus glanced at the boxes, a lost expression on his face. “Okay…”

Ron lit up and started toward the bed. “Yep, we have to get these back. Come on, Neville, you can give those boxes to Padma to finish later. I’ll need all the help I can get.”

Ron started grabbing boxes from a very surprised looking Hermione, who just let them take the boxes from her grasp.

“Don’t get up Harry or Ginny. Since Harry doesn’t know how to wrap, teach him. We’ll see you at supper.”

Harry, Hermione and Ginny watched as the three boys left the dorms with their arms full of boxes and fruit. They could hear their voices all the way down the hall and to the stairs. It wasn’t until they were out of range that Hermione got up and stretched.

“You know those boxes don’t go to the kitchen, don’t you?” Ginny remarked.

“Yeah, they were supposed to go to the owls for a Christmas treat when everyone got all they needed for the boxes. Of course, you know Ron whenever Seamus is around you. Especially after the bet.” Hermione winked at Ginny before heading toward the door. “I better go run interference. Can’t have the house-elves cooking our presents, now can we?”

Hermione left them alone in the room without another word. Harry glanced at Ginny, a strange look on his face. “What did she mean by bet and Seamus?”

Ginny turned to look at him. “You haven’t heard?”

Harry looked confused and shook his head. “No.”

Ginny sighed and stared taking tape off one of the boxes. “Seamus and some of the seventh year guys made a bet about getting Mistresses for Christmas. It basically started when Terry Boot said the one thing he wanted for Christmas was a mistress. So all the other guys started claiming girls as their ‘mistresses’. The bet goes that if you get the girl you claim to be your mistress for Christmas Day then you get the money in the pot. So far its up to three hundred Galleons.”

“Yeah, I heard about that. They tried to get me to choose I girl but most of them were taken.” Ginny rolled her eyes at him but there was a small smile on her face. “Anyway, I didn’t realize how much was in the pot.”

Ginny shrugged. “Its way too much money for something like that, but they can spend it how they want.”

Harry was silent for a moment, realizing Ginny had never even held that much money before in her life, much less dreamed of winning it.

“Seamus claimed you?” He asked, finally. Ginny nodded.

“He’s had a crush on me for a while so Dean talked him into it. I learned about it from Luna who overheard the guys picking names.”

The silence grew longer as they sat there pealing tape off the presents Harry messed up. Finally they finished tearing the tape away.

“So, um, how do you use this tape?” Harry asked, grabbing one of the roles. Ginny grinned and took it from him.

“Well, the trick to it is petting it like this.” Ginny ran a finger over the role of tape soothingly. Harry could have sworn the tape purred.

“Is petting the answer to soothing all things in the wizarding world?”

Ginny shrugged. “Well, it’s always worth a try.”

----------------

Had Harry any clue in what Hermione meant by ‘elf’ costume he would have flatly refused to even take part in the founding of this new tradition. He was absolutely mortified to see the pile of clothing Ron had thrown across his bed just after returning from lunch. Considering he had to be dressed and ready within the hour, Harry’s mood was slowly growing fouler. Of course the fact he would be spending nearly a whole afternoon in the company of Ginny kept his feelings unbalanced. On one side of the scale he was rather excited about the evening. However, when he thought about spending the evening in green spandex with Ginny Weasley, he wasn’t so happy.

“Its times like these that I really wish I was bigger.” Harry mumbled, sliding his foot into a spandex pant leg and pulling it up. He cringed at the feeling. No wonder Hermione always complained about hose or anything spandex related. In his opinion spandex should be burned.

Harry stuck his other foot in and pulled the pants all the way up and glanced at the result in the mirror. No, whoever created spandex should be burned on a pile of all the spandex in the world. He though bitterly. The pants left absolutely nothing up to the imagination and they were really uncomfortable…

He sighed and pulled the shirt over his head, feeling a rush of relief as it fell just above his knees, obscuring the view. Quickly he belted the dress shirt and slipped on the elfin hat with a little bell on the end. Once he had his shoes on he paused in front of the mirror for a moment. What he saw was something he dearly wished to erase from his mind for the rest of his life. If this wasn’t one of those humbling experience they spoke of, he didn’t know what one was. This would certainly humble even Voldemort.

Then again, perhaps that’s why Voldemort never attacked over Christmas. A large grin spread over Harry’s face. Could it be that the Dark Lord hated the holidays? The smile grew as Harry imagined Voldemort hiding from the numerous carolers roaming the streets. Or perhaps Voldemort was scared of people dressed as elves, like Harry. He snorted at the image running rampant in his mind before stepping out of his dormitory.

------------------

Ginny glanced at herself in the mirror as Hermione helped her get dressed. So far she had put on her garters and stockings and was now trying to figure out how to get the tight dress over her upper half. Hermione was tugging while Ginny stood there with her arms in the air feeling completely devastated. When Hermione had told Ginny she would be dressing as Mrs. Clause, Ginny had thought it would be a grandmother type outfit. Of course she hadn’t liked the idea of being an old woman, but had she known the alternative version of Mrs. Clause she would have gladly taking an aging potion. Finally the dress gave way and Hermione pulled the bottom part over her hips so it fit snugly. Quickly Ginny stuck her hands through the corset like top and cringed as Hermione zipped her up. She almost turned blue as her breast crunched against the fabric.

“They weren’t kidding when they said this was a stripper’s version, were they?” Ginny gasped, horrified at the image reflected in the mirror. She looked…cheap.

Hermione sighed in disapproval. “It was they only one that was left. I told you not to wait until after supper to get you’re dress.”

“I can’t believe they even had this one.” Ginny groaned, readjusting the annoying stockings. “This must be against some law. I can’t go out like this.”

“It was supposed to be for that little third year, but she wasn’t measured correctly and then fell ill. So you were stuck with the dress because Padma stole yours. Which, thank heavens, she didn’t see this one. At least you can pull it off. It doesn’t look small.”

“I would rather it look small than what it looks like now.” Ginny grumped, adjusting her hair.

“Yeah, well, at least you’re going with Harry. Ron won’t flip out over you going with Seamus in that.”

Ginny made a strange snort. “No, but he’ll flip out over anyone seeing me in this, including you.”

“He’ll just have to deal with it. Now put you’re hat on. You have only a few minutes before the floo starts, and you two have to go all the way to Diagon Alley.”

Ginny groaned and shoved the hat on her head. She gave one more glance at the mirror before heading down the stairs to join the crowd below, Hermione close behind her.

----------------------

Harry didn’t know what to think when Ginny came bounding through the crowd looking as if she was ready to murder the first guy to look her way. Of course, had that been the case, nearly every boy would be laying in a puddle of their own blood by now. She quickly slid in line beside Harry; her face flushed blood red as she leaned closer to him.

“I can’t believe these outfits. Did you see what they put me in?”

Harry considered saying something along the lines of ‘how could I miss it’, or ‘of course’, but found himself completely speechless. The more she leaned into him the more his head swam with heightened senses of awareness, and though he had experienced it a few times before, the sensation was almost enough to make him feel somewhat dizzy. He grinned back.

“At least you don’t have spandex.” He mumbled, figuring it would be an appropriate reply. It was no jibe or comment about her own questionable outfit, and it took his focus away from her object of horror. She glanced at him, running her eyes over him. Maybe that wasn’t such a good reply.

“Spandex? They really gave you spandex. We’ll thank Merlin they had the sense to give the guys long shirts.” Harry reddened at this comment, suddenly becoming more self conscious.

“Yeah, I was pretty thankful for that, too.”

She stared at him for a moment, her head cocked to the side as if leveling him up. She chewed on her lip before a huge smile lit up her face. Her smile was contagious, he had to admit, and found himself returning it with just as much force as hers. His mouth even hurt from grinning so broad.

“Come on, lets go see our house elf and get on our way.” She slid her arm in Harry’s and started dragging him away from the crowd to the group of house-elves gathered about the fireplace. Hermione was standing over there with a list of names and was busy directing the few students who already started on their journey. She looked up and smiled at them.

“Hey. You two have Dobby.” She winked at Harry who went slightly pale.

Ginny smiled at Hermione and drug Harry over to the overly excited house-elf who stared up at them with large eyes. He grinned merrily before grabbing both their hands and pulling them into the fireplace upon throwing a handful of floo powder into the flames.

------------------------------

Their first destination was Professor Flitwick’s home, since it was far from Diagon Alley where their other two destinations resided. Dobby had explained, upon arriving in a nearby Owl Post Office, that it was somewhere on the outskirts of Little Whinging in a rather large area devoted to wizards and elves of the smaller varieties. Of course, Harry and Ginny believed this just meant that the people in the area were small, not the houses.

Once they reached the top of the hill Dobby led them to, which was but a few yards from the Owl Post, they suddenly understood what ‘devoted to small people’ meant. Ginny glanced down the lane road at the large city that spanned before them. It wasn’t the size of the community that surprised her, but the size of the houses. Most of them seemed only to come up to her shoulders. The small sign welcoming them to town had the words “Little Haven” in large blue letters with little sprigs of holly dangling from the corners. Harry glanced at her, one eyebrow raised in wonder, as she snorted once.

Dobby grabbed their hands and drug them through an endless maze of streets until they finally stopped before one of the larger houses that was but a few feet taller than they. The little house looked like a miniature castle, reminding Ginny of the doll house she used to stare at as a child in the windows at Diagon Alley. Dobby ran up ahead of them, knocked on the door and scampered back. He looked up at the two of them and pointed.

“Sing! Master Harry and Misses Ginny must Sing!”

Ginny and Harry turned red. “We have to sing?”

Dobby nodded and pushed them forward, a big grin on his face. “Sing.”

So, when the door opened, Ginny and Harry sang, at the top of their lungs, Jingle Bells. It was, perhaps one of the worst renditions of the song, but the house-elf didn’t pay any attention to that. Well, perhaps he did. They didn’t have the chance to contemplate this for the moment he heard them his eyes grew wide and he talked them to the ground. With a horribly sweet voice the house-elf screamed into the streets, a fanatical gleam in his eyes.

“Carolers!” Little people and elves poured out of the surrounding houses running toward Harry and Ginny with the same fanatical gleam in their eyes while chanting ‘caroler’s in their fever.

Without thinking Ginny threw Professor Flitwick’s present into the open door of the house, before being dragged off by Harry. They ran as fast as they could, and more, the little people flying off their bodies. Ginny screamed as one house-elf sunk its teeth into her leg and fell into the snow, kicking against the creature. Harry nearly fell on top of her as she pulled him down. He managed to catch himself and push the offending house-elf. He then grabbed Ginny around the waist and hauled her off the ground. They kept running until they were over the hill and back in the little bar outside of Broomsburg.

Without a word, and lots of panting, they had Dobby floo them to Diagon Alley.

When they finally made it to Diagon Alley Ginny fell down on the steps of the small shop to catch her breath. She was now shivering from the cold and her socks and dress were soaked. Her teeth chattered loudly as he settled down next to Ginny.

“Gin, you’re shivering.”

“Obviously.” She bit back, her teeth hitting together. She glanced at Harry and immediately felt bad for snapping at him. It had not been his fault that they fell in the snow and Ginny now had bite marks on her leg.

“Sorry.” Ginny whispered lightly, leaning toward him with a small smile on her face. “I’m just freezing and I really wasn’t thinking.”

Harry smiled back, finding it hard not to. “I know. I’m not to warm myself.”

Ginny snorted and scooted closer to him before glancing at Dobby who was practically dancing around the streets in the falling snow.

“Dobby, do you happen to know any warming charms?”

The little house-elf paused in the snow glancing at Ginny before shaking his head. “Dobby doesn’t get cold, Misses.”

Ginny’s eyes grew wide. “Oh, I forgot. House-elves don’t get hot or cold.”

Harry’s eyebrows went up. “What do you mean they don’t get cold or hot?”

Ginny turned to look at Harry. “Their bodies don’t change temperature, so they don’t have to wear clothes. So they never get hot or cold. They just change to whatever temperature surrounds them.”

“Well that explains a lot.” Harry grinned, a smirk on his face. “I always wondered how he was able to live in such cold environments with no clothing.”

“Well, now you know.” Ginny laughed.

Ginny slid closer to Harry, shivering. “You don’t happen to know any, do you?”

Harry shook his head, his face slowing going red at her proximity. He momentarily forgot the incantation Hermione told him before leaving, his mind swimming the fact there was a girl in a skimpy Mrs. Clause outfit sitting next to him.

“No.” He breathed lightly, and fighting back the fever rising in his head, telling himself he was only doing this as a brother would, and put his arms around her.

Ginny slid into his arms and laid her head on his chest. They stayed there for sometime warming themselves with each other’s heat and watching Dobby play in the snow. How much time passed, they did not know. Neither considered moving until Dobby finally paused and urged them to get up claiming it was near closing time for the stores.

They followed Dobby down the street, walking close to each other to keep warm. They passed a few of their fellow Gryffindors with a few encouraging smiles. It didn’t take them long to reach their next destination, the Apothecary. Dobby waited for them outside as they stepped in.

They had only been within the small shop during the times they searched for school supplies, as it was not one of the best smelling places in Diagon Alley. This time, however, was different. It smelled of roasted chestnuts and nutmeg with a light scent of cinnamon wafting in the air. Ginny breathed in deep, smiling at the feeling of peace that overwhelmed her. To their pleasure the shop was also exceptionally warm, so within seconds Ginny was no longer shivering.

Harry took the small present out of the pack and made his way to the desk. He smiled at young man which stood behind the counter. He was notorious for being a tad psychotic and obsessed with guys, so he wasn’t surprised when he smiled back with a more than friendly grin. He could feel Ginny standing behind him.

“We are delivering gifts from Hogwarts for the Holidays. We would like to thank you, from the school, for your service to us.” He handed her the present and grinned at Ginny when she came to stand beside him.

The guy opened the box and smiled. “Oooh, I love these.” His squeal was so high Harry would have sworn it broke the windows at the front of the store. “But would you really like to know what I want?”

Harry shook his head. The man grin grew wider. “I would really like a kiss.”

Both Ginny and Harry’s eyes widened before they shot their heads up toward the ceiling. Ginny let out a sigh of relief as she realized she wasn’t standing under any mistletoe. However, Harry was not so lucky. All of the color drained from his face as he saw the vines creeping over the rafters above him. Just above his head a new sprig hung, its little berries new and fresh.

He looked over at Ginny, who gave him the best ‘I’m sorry’ look she could muster. He shook his head and grabbed her hand, before dashing out of the door as fast as he could. Ginny’s mouth fell open as she tried to tell him that there was no use running. He would just be pulled back into the shop until a kiss was completed under the mistletoe. Sure enough, the moment they made it to the door they went flying back into the store.

Harry hit the floor and slid in until he was under the mistletoe, Ginny managed to unhook herself from his grip and caught herself before hitting the floor. Harry groaned and looked up to see Ginny staring down at him.

“Magic?” He mumbled, rubbing his head. Ginny nodded. A pained look fell over his face.

“Well, that was rather pointless.” The man behind the counter basically purred. Harry looked as if someone had hit him in his stomach. He was turning a sickly green color.

Ginny laughed as she looked at him, a crooked grin on her face. “So, Harry, how are you going to get out of this one?”

Harry glared at her as she bent down close to him and raised an eyebrow. He felt like shaking her for taunting him about being kissed by the man behind the counter, but completely forgot it the moment her lips met his.

It was a brief, soft kiss, but it sent his mind reeling. He forgot that he was on the floor, under mistletoe that had placed him in this position. Instead all he could think about was the fact their lips were merged for that brief flutter of a second. Then everything came spiraling back to reality, like a fire-whiskey induced hangover. Not that Harry knew anything about that. He stared at her while she backed away from him his eyes hung on her lips. He was afraid if he took his eyes off them his mouth would form into a goofy grin. Unfortunately it did anyway.

Harry was vaguely aware of the disappointed sigh from behind the counter as Ginny helped him stand up. The grin was still firmly placed on his lips.

“That’s, uh, one way to get out of it.” He mumbled as he stood, meeting her dancing brown eyes. Ginny just snorted and shook her head.

“Now learn not to run next time.”

He nodded and followed her out of the store, waving at the man at the desk who watched him leave with longing eyes.

Their last stop was Professor McGonagall’s, which was, overall, a mess. McGongall had apparently married a fairly rich man in her younger years, so they kept a rather large army of maids and a butler. As it happened, the butler was sick and in bed, so his wife was handling his duties for the night. His wife was a very colorful woman, and had a thing for toe socks. Dobby, unfortunately, had an even bigger thing for toe socks.

So after Dobby attacked the maid for her socks they ended up spending nearly an hour trying to rescue Dobby from the local prison. As it happened Neville managed to walk in because he needed a map to get to a small village where Professor Snape lived. Considering Neville really did not want to see his favorite professor, he offered to help watch Dobby if the delivered his present. Though they felt bad about leaving them, Neville seemed truly relieved to have the present off his hands.

So they made their way to Snape’s house. With the help from the map they flooed to Hogsmeade and prepared to walk to his house but a mile away. It was at this point that Ginny was shivering again and Harry recalled the charm Hermione had told him.

“Gin, hold on, you’re shivering again.”

Ginny kept walking and nodded. “Despite what you might think, this is not a very warm outfit. These stockings do nothing but rub rashes.”

“That I could have gone without knowing.”

Ginny laughed. “Anyway, I think Hermione taught me a warming charm. If you stand still for a second I’ll see if I can cast it.”

She paused and glanced at him. “I thought you said you didn’t know one.”

“I forgot.”

She raised an eyebrow. “Okay, I won’t ask why. Just, go ahead before I hurt you for not thinking of it earlier.”

Harry took out his wand and pointed it at her. He quickly said the incantation and for a moment nothing happened.

Then Ginny’s stockings started smoking.

“Harry, this isn’t supposed to happen.”

Harry stared at her in horror as her stocking caught on fire and moved upward to her barely visible garters. At that moment he didn’t think, but reacted. He tackled Ginny to the ground so that the two of them fell into a snow bank and then tumbled on down the hill until they were nearly on Snape’s doorsteps. By that time the snow had put out the flames, so when Ginny stood her socks fell over her ankles and shoes. For a long time she glared at Harry, her face bright red. She didn’t speak for sometime.

“You burnt my garters.”

Harry turned even redder, refusing to meet her eyes.

“Look at me Harry.”

He still didn’t look at her, his face even darker. “I can’t.” He mumbled. “If I do I’ll see something I shouldn’t.”

“What are you talking about Harry?”

“It wasn’t just you’re garters that were burnt. Some of you’re dress was singed.”

Ginny glanced down. Sure enough the ruffles had been burned away at he edges in the back giving a not so decent view of her rear. Her ears went red.

“Give me you’re shirt.”

Harry looked up then. “What?”

“Give me your shirt. I’m going to tie it around my waist so you don’t have to view that.”

Harry mumbled something under his breath that Ginny couldn’t make out but quickly took off his dress shirt so that he was standing in a belt, his spandex pants and a white wife tank. For a second Ginny felt sorry for him standing out there like that. Yet that was only a second. She quickly tied the green shirt around her waist and proceeded to walk up the steps to Snape’s house.

----------------

And that’s how we ended up here.” Harry finished his face slightly red as Ginny glared at him for mentioning her fried garters. The house-elf seemed pleased with this tale and had fallen asleep but moments before. Harry had only finished the story for fear he would awaken. They watched him sleep for a few minutes.

“If we are going to be here all night I’m going to find something to wear. Let’s see if we can find some old t-shirts or something. After that we can raid the kitchen.”

Harry nodded, not feeling too bad about the idea of raiding his Potion Master’s house. It seemed just to him. So he followed Ginny and helped her find Snape’s bedroom where they managed to find an oversized t-shirt and some blue-jeans for Harry. Though a little baggy the pants managed to fit and he gave his spandex ‘tights’ to Ginny who looked extremely comfortable in them and a long shirt that fell to her knees. They made sure they cleaned them with charms at least five times before going in search of the kitchen. Their search led them to a lower level of the house, down to a basement filled with cauldrons and what reminded Harry of a bizarre chemistry set. They passed through to a back room, which turned out to be a rather large storage closet and pantry.

It didn’t take them long to find a box of chocolate frogs, but it took them nearly ten minutes to raid the whole pantry in search of a drink. Nothing turned up. They did, however, manage to find a full bottle of Fire Whisky in the small liquor cabinet outside of the pantry. So they settled down in their new clothes with the Fire Whiskey and chocolate Frogs.

“Why don’t we play a game?” Ginny grinned, grabbing the bottle and two cups she had confiscated.

Harry moved closer and nodded. “Okay.”

“You ask me any question you want. If you think I told the truth then you take a shot. Then I’ll ask you a question and if I think you told the truth then I’ll take a shot.”

“Alright, you start.”

Ginny glanced at Harry as if surveying him before asking her question. “Did you kiss Cho after a meeting while she was crying?”

Harry sighed and nodded. Ginny grabbed a glass and took a shot.

“Did you go to second base with Michael in Mrytle’s Bathroom?”

Ginny snorted and shook her head. “No.”

“You’re lying.”

Ginny raised an eyebrow. “Nope, I’m not. I haven’t gone in that bathroom since my first year. It was a rumor Michael started because I refused to loose the game for him.”

Harry stared at her. “You’re kidding. Even Ron believed it. He’s been threatening to hurt Michael since last week when he heard the rumor from Seamus.”

Ginny rolled her eyes. “A bit late isn’t he? That rumor has been around since last year.”

Harry laughed and took the two shot glasses she gave him. He nearly spit the stuff back out.

“I forgot how strong this stuff tastes.”

Ginny smirked. “You get used to it after a while. My brothers used to smuggle it in all the time.”

“That explains why you don’t even wince.”

Ginny laughed and nodded. “However this stuff tastes a little different. Maybe it’s old.”

“It seems it’s already taking effect, though.” Harry noted a flush rising in their cheeks from just one shot.

Ginny nodded and pointed at him. “You’ll be along soon, too. You’re not used to drinking. It took me forever just to build up this little bit of resistance.”

Sure enough, after a few more glasses, they were completely gone as were their questions.

“Did you know you have a cute rear?” Harry popped up after downing another shot. His eyes were slightly droopy and he had a large grin plastered on his face. Ginny laughed at this and put down the bottle to move closer to him so she could look him straight into the eyes.

“You think I have a cute rear?” She breathed. She smelled of whiskey and cinnamon, a smell he was finding highly intoxicating. Or maybe that was just the heady whiskey. Either way he really didn’t mind looking her in the eyes. It made him feel giddy. He really hadn’t felt giddy in a long time. He smiled brightly at her.

“Yeah. I said you have a cute rear.”

She bent closer. “Cute enough for me to kiss you again?”

Laughter bubbled up inside him and he nodded happily. “Of course, though I think it deserves more than what the mistletoe did.”

“Do you really?”

He snorted. “Of course.”

Just as she leaned over the chimes from a clock hidden somewhere in the house rang out. Twelve times they hit each other, ringing in their listener’s ears. Harry cocked an eyebrow, his eyes focused on Ginny’s lips. “You know, it’s Christmas.” He breathed, his breath tickling her face. She nodded and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear.

“I know. Do you know what that means?”

Harry shook his head dumbly. “No.”

“I get to be your Mistress for Christmas.”

She bent over and placed her lips on his, falling against him in a crushing kiss. He allowed his arms to wrap around her, smiling at how warm she was. It was a powerful kiss that made him shiver. While there were no fireworks he could feel the blood rushing to his head and his mind swimming in the sensation. All he knew is he didn’t want it to end, not now or ever.

But it did end. It ended as Ginny fell into his lap and started snoring with a pleased grin on her face. For a moment Harry just stared at the girl that fell in his lap with a sense of loss. He had wanted to kiss her more. Yet the longer he watched her sleep the more he wanted to leave her there in his lap sleeping peacefully. So Harry shifted her around a bit so he was sitting Indian style with her head on his thigh. For a long time he sat there running his hand through her hair in the back of Snape’s basement. Eventually he drifted off to the most peaceful sleep he had in months.

-------------------------
“And that’s how I found them, Albus.” Snape told his superior the next morning after meeting the Headmaster for tea. He had stopped by his house earlier that morning to find a sleeping Weasley and Potter in his basement and had just returned from seeing them back to their dormitories.

“You say your house-elf locked them in until morning?” Dumbledore asked with interest, putting a few drops of sugar in his tea. “They didn’t realize a house-elf can’t do that?”

“Apparently not. Then again I don’t think they were in their right state of minds. As it turns out they got into my whiskey supply.”

Dumbledore’s eyes widened. “You mean the kind you brew in your basement? Oh dear…”

Snape nodded. “I had it in a Fire Whiskey bottle because I ran out of my own. As you know it’s twice as powerful as regular whiskey.”

“I should say so. Last time I took it I thought I was in Neverland with Peter Pan and the Lost Boys.”

Snape laughed. “Oh yes, I do remember that time. That was rather good one. You ended up on the astronomy tower believing you could fly with one of Lockhart’s pixies as something called ‘Tink’. You were shaking ‘Tink’ around to make you fly. I must admit that was an impressive bit of levitation you managed before the spiraling downward fall in which you thought you were a ‘windy-bird’.”

Albus smiled nostalgically. “Yes, aside from the point that was two days after drinking your brew and I ended up in the ward for a week afterwards. Of course, if I remember correctly, you thought you were a dragon and could spit flames.” He chuckled a bit after wards.

Snape looked taken aback. “I swear I had flaming breath that just happened to come shooting out of my mouth when I passed by Gryffindor’s banner in the Great Hall, I’ll have you know.”

“Of course, I whole heartedly agree with you. Now, do you have any potion to give them to keep those two from believing themselves dragons and Tinkerbells.”

A smirk passed over Snape’s mouth. “While I don’t, for once I think I wouldn’t mind seeing Miss Weasley as Tinkerbell.”

“Now, I was envisioning Harry as Tinkerbell, instead. My, what a funny image…” Dumbledore grinned at the thought before watching with twinkling eyes as Snape hurriedly got up.

“I’ll see to that anti-dote, Albus.”

“I think that would be a wise thing.”

Without another word Snape passed through the Headmaster’s doors to his Dungeons. Dumbledore watched him with laughter in his eyes while secretly thinking he really needed to get hold of some of Snape’s brew. It had been so long since he had just let himself go…

Reviews 24
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear