Search:

SIYE Time:10:10 on 19th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Valentines Day Chocolaty Delight
By Myk

- Text Size +

Category: Hogsmeade Challenge (2005-1)
Characters:None
Genres: Comedy, Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 11
Summary: Harry and Ginny go on a Hogsmeade weekend with a difference, it's one day, not a weekend and it's not in Hogsmeade!
Hitcount: Story Total: 4044







ChapterPrinter


A Valentines Day Chocolaty Delight

There was a buzz of excitement in the Gryffindor common room that evening, Professor Dumbledore had announced that because of increased Death Eater activity, now Voldemort’s return had come out into the open, this year’s Valentines Day Hogsmeade weekend had been cancelled. This, unsurprisingly was greeted by a collective groan from nearly everybody in the room. Even most of the Slytherins seemed disappointed with the news. It was Dumbledore’s next statement however that changed the mood of the students.

“I have decided that because it is not possible for you to travel to Hogsmeade, we shall make Hogsmeade come to us.” The Headmaster had said, his blue eyes twinkling. “Each house shall have their own Valentines day excursion to the Room of Requirement. The room shall be set up as an indoor Hogsmeade and all of the shops in the village have agreed to bring their merchandise up to the castle to sell.” This was greeted with an excited flurry of voices, whispering to each other in anticipation. Dumbledore silenced them with a slight cough and continued. “The house which will have the Room of Requirement on the 14th of February has been decided by drawing the name out of the sorting hat. So Gryffindor will have the room on this coming Saturday, the 14th, Ravenclaw will have the room on Sunday and then Hufflepuff will have their opportunity on the following Saturday, leaving Slytherin with the room on Sunday the 22nd. Now, I trust you will want the opportunity to discuss this at length amongst yourselves so I will bid you goodnight.”

Ron had wasted no time in asking Hermionie to accompany him to Gryiffindor’s own Hogsmeade day. He had become more over the course of his sixth year and had finally taken the initiative to ask Hermionie on a date. To no one’s surprise, Hermionie had accepted and they were now busy talking about what they were going to do.

Harry sat on his own, numb to the excitement of everybody else around him. He had still not come to terms with the death of his godfather almost a year before. He felt something brush against him and then a slight shift in the sofa as someone came to sit next to him.

“I suppose you already have a date do you?” Ginny’s voice penetrated his thoughts.

“No actually,” Harry replied, “I wasn’t planning on going.”

“I thought you wouldn’t.” Ginny said, the bitter tone in her voice surprising Harry. “Sirius wouldn’t have wanted this you know?”

“What do you know about Sirius?” Harry said, heatedly. “You hardly knew him.”

“I knew Sirius well enough to know that everything he did revolved around you being safe and happy. I knew him well enough to tell that he died doing what he wanted to be doing, fighting against Voldemort and I know you Harry,” she said, her voice softening, “I know you well enough to know that you still haven’t spoken to anyone about his death and how that made you feel and I know that you’re still blaming yourself.”

Harry looked at her now. How pretty she looked, her coppery hair glinting in the flickering firelight. She was in her fifth year now and had blossomed into a beautiful young woman. Harry, being in his sixth year was a year older than her, but even the girls in his year couldn’t match the how Ginny looked in his eyes. How beautiful, beautiful and unattainable.

“I think I need to tell someone.” He said softly, “I can’t carry on like this but I don’t want to ruin Ron and Hermionie’s happiness and I don’t want to place that burden on your shoulders. Dumbledore already knows and I can’t go to McGonagall, she’s hardly approachable.”

“I heard she snogged Dumbledore once.” Ginny replied trying to lighten the mood. Harry didn’t so much as raise an eyebrow.

“Harry?” Ginny breathed, “What’s wrong. I can’t help you unless I know what’s going on.”

“I can’t tell you Gin, not right now, I’m still trying to work it all out in my head. I think what I need now, more than anything is a friend. Do you want to go to this Hogsmeade day with me? I want to get to know you better. I feel like even though you’ve been there for me for 5 years, I hardly know you.” Harry asked, his voice soft.

“I’d love to Harry.” Replied Ginny.

The week passed slowly for Harry, he went through his lessons mechanically, waiting for Saturday to arrive. He spoke to Ginny a few times in the week and he had felt an odd flutter in his stomach on each of these meetings. They had each arranged to plan a surprise for the other. Harry was to go first, after they had finished their shopping and then Ginny would have her chance to surprise him. Although he normally liked to be in control of a situation, Harry found himself not minding where Ginny took him, as long as it wasn’t to Madam Puddifoot’s tea shop. This was where he had been taken by Cho Chang the year before and it had been an unmitigated disaster.

Saturday dawned bright and clear but as Harry and Ginny ate breakfast together in the Great Hall, the sky on the magically enchanted roof darkened and rain clouds began to form.

“I think we should get our rain cloaks before we leave.” Ginny said. The flyers that had been distributed to the common room the night before had said that the Room of Requirement had been set up to replicate the outside weather.

A little while later and they were inside the Room of Requirement, looking around in awe at the detail in which Hogsmeade had been copied. The village was spread out before them from their vantage point at the shrieking shack, the boarded up door to which had been used as the entry and exit point of the room.

“Let’s get away from this place, it gives me the creeps.” Said Ginny, shuddering at the sight of what was known as the most haunted building in Britain.

“It’s not really haunted you know,” Harry said, “It was just Professor Lupin. When he was a student he used to come down here to transform.”

“Oh.” Ginny replied, looking at the dilapidated old building.

“Where do you want to go first then?” Harry asked.

“I’d like to do some clothes shopping.” Ginny replied so they walked the short distance down into the village and Ginny shopped for clothes for herself in Madam Malkin’s while Harry browsed the Wizard’s section of the shop. Harry found himself casting Ginny furtive glances as she was looking at different clothes, her little nose wrinkled in concentration as she picked out what she wanted to buy. “Silly.” Harry thought to himself, “There’s no way she could possibly see anything in me, besides, she’s Ron’s sister, what would he say if he knew I was having thoughts about a relationship with Ginny that was anything beyond friendly?”

When they had made their purchases, Harry and Ginny walked to the Three Broomsticks for a butterbeer. While Ginny was visiting the witches’ room, Harry took the opportunity to see what she had bought. He had just uncovered a pair of pink knickers when Ginny returned. Harry thrust them behind his back, his face reddening.

“Are those my knickers you’re trying to hide?” Ginny asked in low, yet light-hearted voice.

“Errm, I was just wondering what you had bought.” Harry stammered. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine Harry, but you know, you don’t have to resort to looking through my shopping to see my knickers.” She said suggestively, a blush rising up her face.

Harry heard a hastily stifled cough from the empty looking table next to them.

“You two can come out of hiding now.” Harry said in an annoyed voice.

Ron pulled the invisibility cloak off revealing himself and Hermionie. Ron’s face was quite a sight. He was looking mortified and yet, surprisingly, seemed to be repressing a smile.

“Sorry Harry,” Ron said. “I borrowed your cloak so that me and Hermionie could have a bit of privacy but when you to walked in together we couldn’t resist spying a bit.”

“What Ron actually means is he couldn’t resist and dragged me along with him.” Said Hermionie, her look of disapproval marred by the smile on her face.

“C’mon Gin, let’s leave these two to it,” Harry said, “It’s time for me to give you your surprise now anyway.”

Harry and Ginny left Ron and Hermionie in the pub. They wasted no time at all in engaging in conversation as soon as Harry and Ginny had started walking away.

Harry led Ginny to a cave just outside Hogsmeade, he had arranged with Dumbledore to have this included in the village setting.

“Where are we?” Ginny asked, “I’ve never been up here before.”

“This was where Ron, Hermionie and I met Sirius for the first time after we helped him escape from the school.” Harry replied, “I thought you’d like to see it. I arranged for us to have a picnic up here.” Sure enough there was a picnic basket in a corner of the cave. Harry picked up a blanket from the top and set it down on the ground. He then picked something else out from the basket and sat on it before Ginny could see what it was, she had her suspicions however.

“Are you sitting on what I think you’re sitting on?” She asked.

Harry whipped out the card from beneath him and gave it to Ginny. When she opened it, it started singing in a shrill voice.

Ginny with her eyes so fair,
Ginny with her copper hair,
Will you be mine?
My Valentine?

“Will you please stop that thing from singing!?” Ginny asked in a desperate voice.

Harry chuckled and clamped the card shut under the picnic basket.

When they had eaten they walked back to the village, Ginny leading the way to the place that she was taking Harry for his surprise. When they stopped outside Madam Puddifoot’s, Harry let out a deep groan.

“What’s wrong Harry?” Ginny asked, “Don’t you like my surprise?”

Harry sighed, “Nothing’s wrong Gin, shall we go in?” They walked into Madam Puddifoot’s tea rooms and Harry went and ordered a hot chocolate for each of them. They then went and took a seat by the window and started talking light-heartedly about school and each other’s love lives. Harry found that Ginny’s company eclipsed his unpleasant memories of the tea rooms from the year before and he didn’t even think once about Cho.

Time seemed to fly past and they were on to their fourth large mug of hot chocolate when Ginny asked “So Harry, how do you think are ‘getting to know each other day’ went?”

“Wonderfully.” Said Harry in a low voice. “Just wonderfully.”

He screwed up all of his Gryffindor courage that had seemed to have deserted him for the rest of the day. It was now or never. He leaned forwards a bit, his heart in his mouth. Her lips looked so smooth in the dusk light that was filtering through the clouds and falling onto her face from the window behind him.

“Stop Harry.” Ginny said, her voice catching.

“I…I’m sorry, I…” Harry started but Ginny put her finger to his lips.

“You have something on your lips.” She said, wiping the chocolate froth from his top lip.

“Now you can kiss me Harry.” She whispered and he did just that. Tentatively at first but as he felt her respond, the kiss deepened in passion and when they broke apart a cheer went up in the small tea rooms. They looked around to see Ron and Hermionie grinning from their table where they had been for an hour, Harry and Ginny all the while engrossed in each other and not even noticing that they had come in. Neville and Luna were sat at another table, Neville with a broad grin on his face and Luna with a look as if to say, “I knew this would happen.” The tea rooms were full of friendly faces, the vast majority of whom were Gryffindors but with a small smattering of people from other houses who had been invited along by a Gryffindor.

Harry and Ginny grinned at them all before turning and becoming lost in each other again.

The End

A/N: Well, this was my first attempt at a challenge fic. I found this challenge too enticing to let it pass. I really look forward to seeing the other entries. There are some outstanding authors out there and I know I’m not going to be disappointed when I read the winning stories.

Bonus phrases used:

I heard she snogged Dumbledore once.
Are those my knickers you’re trying to hide?
Will you please stop that thing from singing!
You have something on your lips.
You two can come out from hiding now.
Are you sitting on what I think you’re sitting on?
Now you can kiss me, Harry/Ginny.

Other places visited:

The Shrieking Shack
Madam Malkin’s
The Three Broomsticks
Sirius’ Cave
Reviews 11
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear