Search:

SIYE Time:14:54 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter and the Will of the Initiative
By Nexorsist_NiftyNifler

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:All, All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, General
Warnings: Death, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 1
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated since 2005 ***

Harry is going into his sixth year to battle his demons and fight a big war , making use of his Initiative and Familiar's. This book will go straight through to Post-Hogwarts and will be adapted when the 6th Cannon book comes out.

Co-Authored by
Nexorsist and NiftyNifler
Hitcount: Story Total: 3261







ChapterPrinter


Harry Potter & the Will of the Initiative



Chapter 1 — Awakening from Depression



Skinny, Pale, Weak, Tired, Nauseous, Scared, Depressed and Troubled… That would be an understatement for the state of “The Boy who Lived”, at that moment. In every persons life there comes a time when emotions such as, fear, angst, guilt and hatred penetrates the wall of resistance in our mind, when that time comes… well, you have to choose your own path between living in the past and the present. An anonymous person once said “That which does not kill us, makes us stronger”. If the boy in the bed actually discovers this, it is yet to be seen…



Clothes, books, quills, parchment, ink, darkness, food and owl droppings, that was the state of the boys room as he awoke at dawn with a start.

Breathing heavily, Harry Potter reached for his dirty glasses and placed them on the bridge of his nose as he tried to banish his latest nightmare from his memory. Why did you have to DIE! ? Why was I so heroic and ignorant to fall for His mental visions? Always the damn questions. Why did I not listen to Hermione? Quit it with the questions already. He must be alive… He’s just behind the veil… He wouldn’t just abandon me? Would He? Pull yourself together Potter-



“Boy! GET DOWN HERE, NOW!” Uncle Vernon bellowed from the kitchen. Harry sighed as he ruffled his hair and got out of bed. I still have to let the order know I’m okay.



“NOW POTTER!” Uncle Vernon repeated,



“Alright, Alright I’m coming!” Harry retaliated. Emotionless Git. Harry straightened his t-shirt and slumped down the stairs, made his way to the kitchen, drooped into his chair, glanced at his egg, poked it with his fork, got up and walked toward the door when his Uncle stopped him.



“Sit back down and eat your food you, ungrateful, worthless freak! You will sit here till every scrap is devoured.” Harry sat back down, ate his egg, gave his uncle a loathing glance, stood up and made his way upstairs.



Deciding that he should probably write the letter to the order before they showed up, he made his way through the destruction zone of his room and plumped down at his desk, grabbed his leftover ink and quill from the floor next to his desk and started to write.


To whom it may concern.

Just to make sure that everyone does know, I am alright and getting along well with the Dursleys.

I miss everyone a lot.



Harry.



He called Hedwig over. She hooted happily and perched herself on his shoulder, sticking out her leg in anticipation to get out of the depressing mood of Harry’s room. He folded the letter, sealed it and attached it to Hedwig’s leg. Harry told her the destination; she hesitated for a moment, nipped his ear and took flight through his bedroom window.



Harry pulled off his glasses and rubbed his eyes. Why did it have to be me? Why not Neville? NO, Would you put this burden on someone else? No. Well?



He got up and laid down on his bed. Think of your friends and all those who care for you! Yes that is the best option you have right now. With that thought, fatigue kicked in and he slept. He slept the depression away. He slept for the unfairness of the world. He slept for Ron, Hermione, Ginny and the D.A. He slept till his mind could no longer take the concept of sleeping. Once he opened his eyes he felt new, he felt that he was newly born; he felt the drive, the Will for life, the purpose.



He got up, scanned the room, disgusting he thought. I really should clean this mess up. He decided on taking a shower first before attempting to rectify the mess. He scrambled around on his dishevelled floor for his towel. When he eventually discovered it after three minutes of “hide and seek” he remembered when last he actually used it, at that thought he took one sniff of himself and bolted for the shower. He turned and tweaked the taps to the right temperature, climbed under the gentle spray produced by the shower and closed his eyes as the water made it’s way into his hair and trickled gently down his neck and body, Harry suddenly very aware and sensitive to the heat created by the water.



Whilst standing still with his eye’s closed, Harry starting contemplating the different things that he wished to do that summer and what consequences it could have. He thought for what seemed to be hours, about the prophecy and what it contained. With that adding to his new, yet small, pile of confidence, he curled his fingers around the taps and twisted them closed simultaneously. Took a deep breath, slid into his bathrobe and made his way down the hall towards his room.



When he entered his room, he was actually shocked by the mess he had made of it. He tripped and stumbled as he moved towards the last pair of clean clothes he had left in his trunk. He pulled the passed-down rags of Dudley on and quickly formulated a plan as to how he was going to sort everything out.

After a couple of hours he managed to get everything packed and stacked neatly in different area’s of his tiny room and glanced around just before he stepped out into the hall to deposit the last of his dirty clothes into the washing basket housed in the bathroom. He thought that he had managed quite a magnificent job without the use of magic. When he returned from the bathroom his eyes felt heavy from the first physical work he had done since his return to the dursleys four days ago. He collapsed inside his duvets in a heap and fell into a deep sleep.



When he awoke the next day, he instinctively reached for his glasses, slid them onto the bridge of his nose and quickly stored the grief stricken thoughts of Sirius into the back of his mind, as he stretched his aching muscles and pulled himself out of bed. After a moment’s thought he remembered not having any clean clothes and made his way down the stairs to the kitchen. When he entered the kitchen the strong smell of bacon prickled his senses and made his stomach growl, reminding him of how hungry he actually was. The Dursleys had disbelieving looks on their faces as Harry entered the kitchen and sat down of his own accord instead of Uncle Vernon having to crack his vocal cords every morning to wake him up.



As Harry picked a few pieces of bacon out of the pan and slipped an egg onto his already buttered toast, he glanced up at his Uncle Vernon and saw his eyes flash and his ears turning red, Harry was unnerved for only a split second before he saw his Uncle open his mouth to speak. Harry returned his placid facial expression and tilted his head upward to listen.

“Not flooding the room with tears anymore, are we?” Vernon sneered.

Seeing his Uncle eating less than usual, he replied.

“Trying to fit behind the steering wheel, are we?”

Uncle Vernons’ face pigments changed to different shades of purple in an instant and he retaliated by loading up another spoonful of baked beans onto his plate. This made Aunt Petunia choke and go at Uncle Vernon’s diet. Harry took this as his signal, or opportunity, to slip out of the kitchen and make his way upstairs back to his room. A small smile formed at the corners of Harry’s lips, for the first time in months, at what he just done. Hmmm, that was quit pleasurable. He stored the thought for later.



Harry walked over to his trunk, as he had to organise his possessions in there as well. He quickly made some sort of order out of the chaos that had struck it in the last few days. He discovered to his surprise that he still had forty galleons left from his previous year at Hogwarts, actually he wasn’t that surprised considering that he had almost no opportunity to actually spend his money with all that was going on.

He thought for a moment and remembered a service he had read about in Flourish & Blotts in his third year, whilst he was staying in Diagon Alley at the leaky cauldron.

He scrunched up his eyes trying to remember what he had to do. Ah yes, I remember now.

He pulled out his parchment and started to write.


Dear Manager



I hope this reaches the right hands for I am in search of books that will help me along my path, which was I might add, chosen for me before I was born.



I am Harry Potter and I’m hoping to find the best books in Defence against the Dark Arts, Transfiguration, Charms, Potions, and Healing. Although this might sound strange, I want advanced books of each of these. I am not sure if this service is in use any more but I am hoping for the best. Inside I have included forty Galleons with which I shall pay. If the price of books is more than that then please feel free to send me the bill.



I plan to purchase more from you this summer and will see you soon, personally.



Yours sincerely



Harry Potter



After sealing the letter he called Hedwig over and gave her the parchment.

“Take this straight to Flourish & Blotts but drop this letter if anyone tries to hurt you. I won’t be able to take it if someone gets hurt again on my account.” Hedwig hooted in an encouraging way and took flight. After her form disappeared into the morning sun Harry sat down onto his bed and thought about reasons to continue this life and this war he was forced into.





The following morning Harry woke up to the gentle hoot of his snowy white owl on the headboard of his bed, which was followed by another pair of hoots as two owls came fluttering in through his window. The one he recognised as ‘Pig’ fluttered around and landed on top of his head while a screech owl he didn’t recognise landed on his bedside table with a thump and sat obediently still as Harry tugged Pig off his head and unloaded his ‘burden’, if you could call it that, which was two letters. Pig flew off and went to have a sip of water from Hedwigs’ perch on top of the cupboard, whilst Harry removed the last letter from the screech owl and sent it on it’s way.



He recognised the first two letters from Pig as one from Ron and one from Ginny, whilst the other was a letter from Hermione, probably sent while she was in a wizarding village in another country.

He broke the seal on Ron’s letter and started to read:


Dear Harry



Hiya Mate, just sending a message to check how you’re feeling after everything that happened this summer.

Sorry I hadn’t sent a letter earlier to see how you were, but things have been really busy with ‘everything’, if you know what I mean. *wink wink*

Let me know if those blasted muggles are treating you badly, and I’ll try and get you out of there as soon as possible.



Oh mom’s calling; I’ll have to write more later.



Cheers



Ron

P.S. How do you think you will do on the OWLs? And Ginny Insisted on sending a letter as well *whistle*



Harry laughed silently and shook his head at his friend’s letter. Next he decided to open Hermione’s letter and see what she had to say about her holiday, wherever she was this time. He ripped open the seal to the letter and starting reading again.


Dear Harry



Hey Harry! How have you been keeping?

Mom and Dad decided that we should have a far away vacation to try and keep my mind off the things that happened this summer.

I’m really sorry about Sirius you know.



She was definitely the first one to mention his Godfather, but this somehow made him accept the fact that he was gone more easily, now that someone else had said it.

He stifled a cry and read further.



My parents decided to that we should travel to Germany this summer… It really is a fascinating place, no really it is. Before we came here I was reading a book about it and it was really accurately described, for instance…



Blah, blah, blah, Harry thought to himself, he scanned over Hermione’s bantering of Germany and skipped further down until he noticed she had stopped.



Anyway Harry, I hope the Dursleys don’t treat you too badly for the rest of summer.

Hope to see you soon


Luv

Hermione



Harry folded up the long piece of parchment, which he was glad he didn’t read in full detail in fear of a headache, put it on his bedside table and reached for the last letter that was from Ginny. He broke the seal and opened it to start reading.


Dear Harry



Hi! How have you been?

Ok I’ll cut to the chase, I’ve been told to owl you so I can find out for Ron what you would want for your birthday. Considering that he has been your friend for so long you’d expect him to be able to at least know what you want for your birthday, don’t you say? Anyway, owl me and let me know. I also wanted to say that I am really sorry for your loss as well as mine, yes mine too. I was also a friend of Sirius and really miss him. He sometimes reminded me of all the good things that was happening, like Quidditch and pranks. He was fun to be with and a good-hearted person. Harry, I don’t know how you are feeling but at least try us. We are here for you and wont stop being friends with you even if you push us away.



Last year was really hard for me. I always had to stay at the sidelines while you Ron and Hermione plot and play together. Don’t get me wrong here, we were friends but not like you are with them. They care for you Harry, don’t push them away.



Enough of a young girls rambling, how do you think you did with your OWLs? I know you did well, you always do. Was it hard? Ron insisted that he would have gone crazy if it was not for the powdered chimera URECTA. I don’t believe him; Bill always said it was hard, but bearable. Hope you enjoy the rest of your summer. Err… sorry…hope you cope with it.



Love

Ginny

P.S. Write back soon.



After Harry had finished reading the letters he received he folded the last one and neatly placed it in his trunk and made his way down to breakfast.

He loaded his plate with the usual and starting munching away at it when he saw his Uncle was about to say something but cut him short. “Don’t. Not today” was all he strongly commanded at his Uncle, whose jaw abruptly dropped to the table in shock. Harry just took his last bite and took the silence as an opportunity to quickly leave before his Uncle came back to his senses.



When Harry reached his room he decided to just read and plan what else he still wanted to do in the summer to keep himself occupied while he waited the arrival of his books.

It was getting dark and at about seven o’ clock eight or nine big, well-built owl’s arrived inside his room with several hoots.

At first Harry was startled by the sudden appearance of so many owls, until he spotted and recognised the parcels they were carrying with them. All the owls decided to use the bed as a landing strip, creating a deep indent in his mattress. Harry reached out and relieved the owls of their burden. Harry quickly counted and the heavy tomes dropped by the owls and counted sixteen in total, happy with his purchase, Harry spotted a letter on the ninth owl, took it off it’s leg and sent all the owl’s on their way.



For the fourth time that day Harry broke the seal on the parchment and folded it open.


Dear Harry



Included with this letter and owl are another eight owls with the various advanced tomes you have requested.



The purchase was sixty galleons in total; I had to make a twenty galleon total withdrawal from your Gringotts vault, which the Goblins were reluctant to do at first till I showed them your signed permission contained in your previous letter.



It has been an honour doing business with you, and I hope that the advanced tomes I sent to you help in the struggle against the Dark Lord and his forces.



Good Luck



Flourish.



Harry folded the letter up and placed it in his trunk along with the other three he had received that morning. Harry took all the heavy books and placed them in a pile at the side of his bed, quickly glancing at the cover of each book that was sent to him, he realised that the biggest percentage of his books were about the Dark Arts and Healing, which didn’t really surprise him that much.



He read a few pages in each book to get an idea of what he was up against, but his eyelids were getting heavy, so he decided to call it a day and give into the monster that was sleep.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~



Harry awoke again with a disgruntled start on the last day of his first week back from Hogwarts. He didn’t bother going down to breakfast that morning as he wasn’t very hungry, and rather decided to snack on some of the sweets he had brought with him from school. Considering everything that had happened to him his first week back, he decided to take the day easy and relax, to try to clear his mind of all his bothering thoughts.

The end of the day approached, he took off his glasses and fell asleep with a smile thinking of the coming week.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~



When Harry awoke, he still felt the usual grogginess he felt every morning. For a few seconds he was fumbling around for his glasses till he found them and placed them firmly on his nose and stared around his room, just for a moment, until he remembered what he was going to do that day. With that thought he got up, slipped on a random shirt and made his way downstairs to the kitchen. After another static meal with the Dursleys he went upstairs, got his towel and went straight for the shower.



When he turned the taps off again, he felt revived and fresh to start the first task for the day ahead. After a quick loathing glare from Dudley, Harry was in his room and jumped into some clean clothes that he had washed. Harry battled for a few minutes trying to straighten the whirlpool in his head before he decided to give up.



The first thing that Harry wanted to do, was to send replies to all the people that had owled him two days ago, as the owl in his bedroom wouldn’t leave without a reply. He removed his quill from the sticky ink mess on the table, took it to the sink in the bathroom and quickly scrubbed it as clean as he could get it before any of the Dursleys noticed what he was up to.





He dragged his, still lazy, feet back to his room and sat down at his desk to start on the letters. Harry decided to start with a reply to Hermione’s letter, just saying that he was still OK and hoped that she enjoyed the rest of her travels overseas, he added a little sarcastic joke about how he couldn’t wait to hear about the books she had read in Germany. With a minute’s thought he started on the letter to Ron.


Dear Ron



Hey mate! You guys don’t have to worry so much about me, really!

I am fine, honestly. What have you been doing this summer so far? I really miss you guys and I really miss flying around on my missing Firebolt. Do you think they will unban me from Quidditch this year? You haven’t heard anything from the order about it maybe, have you?



I also sent this letter, because I want you to personally go to Dumbledore and ask him to pay me a visit, as I have a few things that I really need to discuss with him which I couldn’t discuss in his office at the end of last term, due to certain circumstances (He’ll know what I am talking about). Please tell him it is very important and that I need to speak to him a.s.a.p.



Send my regards to your parents and brothers.



Regards,



Harry



P.S. How are the twins doing? Has anybody heard from them after I saw them at the train station?



Reading over his letter, he folded it up and placed it on the side of his table and furrowed his brow in thought as to what he was going to say in reply to Ginny’s letter.

After about ten minutes of thought, he decided to keep it simple and started writing his reply to her letter.



Dear Ginny…



I don’t really know how I will do on my OWL results, but I believe they won’t be that shocking. I can’t really think of anything specific I want for my birthday so tell your brother that he shouldn’t break a leg over it. He he he.



I was really touched and surprised by the letter you sent me, so it took a while for me to think of a reply.

I have been coping with Sirius’s death so I’m feeling a little better, I won’t deny that he still haunts my dreams every night and that the guilt still manages to catch me off guard at times. I never actually knew that you knew Sirius or even spoke to him for that matter, he never mentioned that to me while he was still alive.

He really was good-hearted person, and only had the best intentions at heart and I suppose that is why he came out of the house to try and come rescue me.

You know it really helps talking to someone about this. Thank you for being the person that confronted me over this, because the others seem to scared to even try and mention his name, which I can understand a little, but you can’t just leave it forever.



Again, Thank you that all of you are here for me and I won’t forget this.



Love



Harry.



Harry reread his letter a few times before folding it up and placing it with Ron’s. He called Hedwig over, told her the address and gave her two owl treats before sending her on the way to the Burrow.



Harry then pulled out another piece of blank parchment and started to write down the jumble of things he had in mind to suggest and explain to the powerful white wizard Dumbledore when he arrived. He wanted to make a good and firm impression on him when he tried to tell him about his suggestions. After about an hour he had a good idea of how he was going handle the situation and convince Dumbledore to go along with his idea.



With that done, Harry picked up the fully scribbled parchment and sent it on its course to the eternal flame of The Candle.

Hmm, that does sound quite sinister, where did that come from?

Throwing this thought aside Harry picked up his new tome of Dark Art titled: How to hurt the painless by Johnny McClaugen

Sounds interesting. Harry thought.

He starting reading through it, and scribbled down all the various spells he’d like to or needed to learn. There were some really nasty and dangerous spells in this book, which he doubted Flourish had gotten from his own bookstore, which might explain why the price was so high.



After the sun had already disappeared behind the houses of Privet drive an hour ago and his eyes were burning from the candle light, his body felt attracted to the heat waves released by the candle, he decided to call it a day and slumped onto his bed, removed his glasses and fell asleep almost instantly.

He dreamt about the knowledge of the spells all being shoved into his brain at a shocking rate. The world around him swirled and blurred until he came to a halt at the park swing he was at last year before the dementors attacked him. He glanced around feeling very, very cold and deserted. He tried to move his legs but they seemed stuck to the ground, he looked up again and noticed a half dozen masked figures approaching him. He panicked for a second at the sight of them, but then all was calm and he fired hundreds of unknown spells towards them that just came out of him like an organised book. Each had its own appropriate purpose. Just then his legs broke free, but he tripped and hit the grass face first and awoke on the floor of his bedroom with a gasp. Getting up and feeling hot on his face he reached for his glasses and tried to slide them onto his nose. He realised that it was very sore and aching, so instead he held the glasses in front of his eyes and peered through them, seeing the patch of blood on the wooden floors he immediately realised what must have happened.



He jumped up, clasped his hands around the entrance to his nostrils and bolted towards the bathroom making sure he didn’t mess any blood on Aunt Petunia’s ‘precious’ carpet.

After a few moments of struggling he managed to get the blood clogged and under control, so he made his way back to his room. He swore under his breath about the silly nightmare he just had that caused him this trouble.



With a Tissue in his nose, Harry strolled over to his window and rested his palms on the edge. He peered out at the sun rising. Deciding that he wouldn’t fall asleep again, he convinced himself that some air would actually do him good. So he jumped into a pair of shorts, slipped on a pair of worn out shoes and made his way outside. He started walking and thinking about everything in general. He eventually reached the park but remembering the dream he just had, he steered far clear of it. Feeling extremely cold so early in the morning Harry decided to jog back and take a hot shower before he started his daily activity, which would become reading through his books.



When he reached the Dursleys home and started to make his way upstairs, he saw Uncle Vernon getting reading for work. He had just finished shaving so Harry took the opportunity to quickly take a shower whilst the bathroom was still unoccupied. As he made his way back to his room after showering, he heard Dudley and Aunt Petunia having a row about something he only caught snatches of.



“I am not going to buy you any more B.B. Bullets if you don’t…”



“But mom!”



“No Dudley! What will the neighbours think if they see you shoo…”



Harry left it at that and closed his door. He slipped on some fresh clothes and started reading through all the new books he had, making notes here and there about things he should remember. He spent his whole day just reading up on various kinds of things and couldn’t wait to try them out. His stomach grumbled and warned him to get something in there before it starting munching Harry, with that he snuck into the kitchen and nicked a few slices of beef from the fridge, which he quickly swallowed down, and returned upstairs.



When Harry was just too tired to carry on, he fell asleep again. Having a fairly dreamless sleep he woke up quite late the next morning, seeing a blurred vision of something tall in the corner of his room. He slipped on his glasses and was greeted by the sight of Albus Dumbledore.



‘Lemon drop Harry?’ Professor Dumbledore whispered through his smile.



Harry was shocked for a moment. That disappeared as quickly as it came, as he finally realized who was actually standing there.



‘Uh…’



Dumbledore chuckled at the sight of Harry’s confusion. At that moment a thousand words was going through his mind, trying to remember what he planned on saying.



‘It’s not hexed you know.’



Harry reached out and took a lemon drop and popped it into his mouth. The sour taste prickled and refreshed his brain.



‘Morning Professor, I didn’t expect to see you so early.’

Harry glanced around at his once again brewing chaos, which is his room.



‘Well, I didn’t expect to arrive so early, but your friend made it seem that it was very important that I see you as soon as possible.’



‘I’m glad you came… You might want to sit down somewhere this might take a while.’



Harry looked up at his headmaster and saw him flick his wand and conjure a very plump armchair to sit on, when he was seated he put his hand on his lap and looked intently at Harry.



‘Alright lets get this over with. Fire away.’ Dumbledore’s eyes were twinkling with anticipation.



‘Professor, firstly I think I should apologise for your office…’Harry began but Dumbledore cut him off with a wave of his hand.



‘Harry, the objects which you destroyed last year were restored and nothing was permanently broken.’



‘Oh…all right then. Secondly, I have thought about the prophecy these last few days and I want to turn it to my favour. I want to beat him. He took away my parents, childhood and my life. I don’t want to become a murderer but if that’s is the only way, then I will do it.’ Harry finished off and waited for Dumbledore to talk. When he didn’t, Harry saw it as a signal to continue.



‘Somehow I always thought that it would be you who would defeat him, The Albus Dumbledore, the strongest wizard of the age, the one who everyone believes in. Never have I thought that it would have to be me. I don’t think I can do it. Not now anyway. I can’t just go through school and expect that I will have all the knowledge to beat him. I will have to study, learn, practice and perfect my magic, fight and win. I am tired of people running my life. I want to make my own decisions, my own choices. I don’t care if you make suggestions but I want to know of them before you act. I am tired of living in fear, what will it help us in the fight that will come. I want to learn to fight and stand up for myself. The order can’t protect me my whole life. They can only do so much and then there will be death. People will die because of me. If I can hold my own then the people close to me can be relatively safe. Then I can live again. My life will only begin when Voldemort is dead. Then I can begin again, start over. I want to begin now.’



‘Well Harry I see you have given this quite a lot of thought. One thing that you will have to realise is that this is war. People die in war and most of the time there is nothing you can do about it,’ the wise old man said.



Harry sat and pondered on his last statement. I can’t possibly take responsibility for all the people that will die, can I? No but you can help the people by showing them that you shouldn’t stop and that you should look forward, instead of showing all the sadness.



‘Sir I realise that, it will be hard and painful but it is something I must do. If you can’t get what is yours you should fight for it.’



Albus sat there impressed and saddened by the young wizard. For one he had taken his destiny and accepted it, more easily than anyone else he knew. It was sad to think that the world could be thrown off balance with one evil man’s intentions. It was worse that one boy…no, one man, should carry the burdens of the world.



Dumbledore stood up and offered Harry a hand to help him off his bed. He took it and the old but strong hands helped him up once again. Dumbledore turned around, took out his wand, grasped it firmly with both of his hands and began to move with graceful ease, considering that he was 150 years old. As he began his incantation he revolved 360 degrees and thrust his wand upwards. There shot a beam of light out of the tip towards the roof that would have surely blasted a hole straight through but instead a foot below the ceiling it stopped and began to spread out until his whole room was encased in a magnificent pure white dome. A few minutes later it began to shimmer and then disappeared. Although Harry couldn’t see it he still felt it.



‘Harry, I have put a ward on your room which will allow you to do magic without the ministry knowing about it. I must stress with you the importance of this. It must not become common knowledge. I trust you will use it responsibly.’ Dumbledore looked at him with his piercing blue eyes.



‘Y… yes sir’ Harry replied shocked, he didn’t think it would be this easy to convince him ‘I will.’



‘Good,’ Dumbledore said with his trademark twinkle in his eyes. ‘Now let us make this place more suitable for magical practice.’



‘I believe’, he pointed his wand to the only bare patch of wall ‘We must make this bigger.’

With that he enlarged the one side of his room and made it look like a duelling platform. Another flick of his wand a shining metal plate, about 3 inches thick and the size of an ordinary shield, appeared out of thin air and fit itself tightly onto the far end of the wall.



‘This,’ he indicated towards the metal plate, ‘is a practice block as I call it. It absorbs any spell and tells you if it is done correctly. Any dark magic that is used against it will rebound. I trust you will use it accordingly.’ Dumbledore said clearly waiting for a replay.



‘Yes sir, I don’t know what to say, this is more, much more than I hoped for.’ Harry stammered.



‘It was my pleasure, young Harry, my pleasure’ Dumbledore said with a twinkle in his left eye. ‘If it is all then I shall have to take my leave.’



‘Thank you sir,’ was all that Harry could say.



‘Well goodbye Harry, I shall send Fawkes with appropriate books for you to prepare with.’ And with that said he disapperated with a soft pop.





Later that night at dinner Harry thought about the best way to break the good news to his “family”.



‘Uncle Vernon,’ Harry began ‘my headmaster was here this morning, and placed a spell on my room to allow me to do magic in my room.’



The effect was a bit delayed but they eventually caught on. Uncle Vernon coughed out his food and began to change to his trademark angry purple. Aunt Petunia whimpered, horse like, and paled. Dudley dropped his fork and grabbed his oversized bottom while trying to flee and fell face first onto the floor. This was obviously not enough to stop the motivated boy because he jumped up as if nothing happened and made his way towards his room.



‘YOU CALL THAT FREAK OVER HERE NOW AND TELL HIM I Don’t WANT A CRACKPOT SPELL ON MY HOUSE!’ Uncle Vernon bellowed with spit flying everywhere.



‘NO.’ Harry said in a firm and strong voice ‘We can continue this discussion further in my room.’ And with that he got up and walked at a brisk pace towards his room. Vernon clearly decided that it was not worth it because he didn’t follow and just sat there stunned. While Harry was still enjoying his first victory a sudden flash of fire came out of nowhere in his room and blinded him for a split second. Instinctively he grabbed his wand and pointed it towards the fire only to be face to face with the Headmasters beautiful pet Phoenix, Fawkes. Fawkes flew in a circle around Harry and sang a few thrilling notes which encouraged him. Fawkes then sat down onto Harry’s bed with a humongous trunk.



‘What’s this’ He asked. Fawkes sang a short shrill note as a replay and went to sit with Hedwig at her perch who shuffled over to make room for the beautiful bird. That’s strange Harry thought Hedwig usually pecks at them. Well…who wouldn’t like Fawkes?



Harry walked over to the trunk and lifted the lid. Inside he found about a hundred books and various other strange things. On top of the books was a small note in Professor Dumbledore’s loopy handwriting.



Dear Harry



Here are books that I have found useful over my years. They are my books but you can use them for as long as you wish.

Your friends can also use them because I dare say that Miss Granger will give me a piece of her extraordinary mind if I refuse.



Professor Dumbledore



Harry reread the note to make sure he was not dreaming. He couldn’t believe the old man. This was really too much for him to take in. First the ward, then the dinner fiasco and now this. There were easily a hundred thick tomes inside. Hermione would go crazy with all these books. How could he possibly accept this? He closed the lid and told Fawkes to take it back but the bird would have none of it. He simply greeted Hedwig with an affectionate rub of its head and sang a brilliant tone. He flew over to Harry and perched on his shoulder. Harry took out a quill and parchment and scribbled a short note



Dear Professor Dumbledore



This really is too much, but Fawkes won’t take it back. I cannot begin to tell you how much I appreciate this. There are easily a hundred huge tomes in there!

Thank you very much. I will take good care of it.



Regards



Harry.



He held out the note to Fawkes, who clasped it in one of his talons and disappeared with a burst of flames, dropping a perfect golden feather that floated gently towards the ground. He picked up the feather and made a mental note to give it to Hermione for her birthday, to use as a quill. He removed the trunk from his bed and put it at the foot of his small table. He grabbed a random book out of the trunk, plopped down on his bed and started to read.





Thursday came and went without Harry realising it because he was so engrossed in his new book: How to clean the dirt by Kandrof Blonski, which went from how to use easy but effective spells in the heat of battles to the aftermath of the battle and how to cope with it. The only time Harry stopped reading was when he desperately needed the bathroom. He read until he finally fell asleep with his mind a mixed jumble of phrases and spells.





Friday Harry decided to test out the “Spell Absorber” as he called it. He started out easy with a simple body bind curse and saw the spell sink into the metal and shimmer green for a few seconds. He thought that it indicated that the spell was correctly executed. Next he tried a stunner, which also sank into the metal and caused it to shimmer a brighter green. As the day wore on he realised that the brighter the green is the stronger the spell is. Red means that the spell was done incorrectly or uncompleted and ineffective.



He stood fifteen paces back, which he thought would be a normal distance for duelling with an old and dusty tome in his left hand and his wand in his right hand. He wanted to try out a spell, which would cause your opponent to see double vision for a minute. As Harry began the incantation and wand movement he realised too late that he should have twirled his wand instead of twist it. He tried to stop but the spell had already fired off. The reddish light shot forward and ricocheted off the wall back towards him. He dropped the book and ducked down. The spell blasted the book to smithereens and engulfed it in blue flames. Harry quickly regained his composure and put out the flames with a spray of water from his wand, but it was to late the book was complete ash. As he cleaned up he saw a piece of parchment in the ash that didn’t burn, not even singed at the edges. He picked it up and inspected the writing on the parchment but try as he might he couldn’t understand a word of it. Then he remembered - the translation spell Hermione used in his fourth year before the second task, to uncover strange words. He grabbed the parchment and took out his fourth year charms book, scanned through it until he found the right spell and started the translation.



The spell was unusually difficult because as Harry realised that the phrases were all in different languages. After a lot of difficulty he finally got the words in English on another piece of parchment. Whatever Harry might have suspected would be on this piece of parchment, wasn’t nearly as great as that which met his eyes.





(A/N’s: We will upload the rest of chapters 2 - 8 as next week starts. But tell us what you think about it so far..)
Reviews 1
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear