Search:

SIYE Time:10:32 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Mother's Day
By Blondebouncingferret

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Luna Lovegood
Genres: Fluff, General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 6
Summary: Harry takes his daughter to Diagon Alley to find a Mother's Day present for Ginny. Having never bought one before, he seeks help from Luna.
Hitcount: Story Total: 5440







ChapterPrinter


Author's Note: Today (Sunday the 6th of March) is Mother's Day here in the UK, so I wrote this little fic for all you mums out there! I hope you all have a great day!

***

Mother's Day


This wasn't going to do, no, not at all. Mother's Day was only a day away and Harry still hadn't found the perfect gift for Ginny. It was her first Mother's Day, and he wanted to find her the perfect gift to give from their daughter, Annabel.

Snow was falling from the darkening sky, causing the young witch in Harry's arms to squeal with delight. He smiled at his daughter, barely a year old but so full of life and excitement. Her deep brown eyes were shining with awe as she watched the snowflakes fall graciously from the sky, settling on the now white ground of Diagon Alley.

"Come on, we haven't got long until the shops close," Harry informed the infant. Snow was clouding his version and after a quick spell on his glasses, he was able to see without distraction. "I know the snow is pretty, it's been pretty for the past few days as well, hasn't it?"

Annabel's first introduction of snow had been the previous week, where at first she looked apprehensive at the strange cold flakes, but after watching her parents, Aunt Hermione and Uncle Ron make snow-wizards, she began to love it. Even a few days later, she would still shriek with glee whenever she was outside, the snow stroking her cheeks and resting in her hair and on her clothes.

Give it to the English weather to rain in December and snow in March. At least it gave Harry a longer time to wear the deep green hat Ginny knitted him for Christmas. Annabel was wearing one too, though hers was a pale shade of pink. Ginny insisted she wear it whenever anyone took her little girl out, in case she caught a chill. Harry suspected Ginny only made her wear it because he had passed the messy-haired gene onto their child, whose black locks frizzed quite often.

When Ginny was expecting, Molly Weasley taught her to knit so she could make sure her unborn child would never be without lovingly made clothes. Molly was only a few years younger than Ginny when she and Arthur had Bill, and because they didn't have much money, Molly depended on knitting to clothe him.

But times were different now, Harry wasn't exactly poor, so he could afford to give his family what they needed. But Ginny didn't say anything to her mum, mainly for the elder witch's pride, but mostly because she loved spending time like this with her.

Harry walked up the street, pausing at certain shops, wondering what he should get. He was terrible at present buying at the best of times, but buying a Mother's Day gift was worse. It didn't help that he had never bought one before. However, he suspected that his own father might have taken him out to get his mum one, much like what Harry was doing now with his child.

Near the end of the street, Harry was thinking of giving up, or just buying that purple mug he saw earlier, until he heard his name being called. Turning to find the source of the voice, he noticed Luna Lovegood waving at him from her little shop.

Grinning, Harry hurried into the shop, glad to be out of the cold.

"Hey, Luna, how are you?" Harry asked, brushing snow off his cloak with his free hand.

"Can't complain, you?" the ditzy blonde replied, her eyes looking larger than normal behind her new glasses.

"Yeah good, just trying to find a Mother's Day present for Ginny, it's her first one this year," Harry explained, smiling lovingly at Annabel, whose cheeks was flushed pink from the cold outside.

"So it is," Luna mused dreamily. "Have you got her anything nice?"

Harry pulled a face. "Well …" he trailed off.

"That means no," Luna said, raising her eyebrows at her friend.

"It's not like I haven't tried, we've been up and down the shops at least three times. I just can't find anything perfect enough," Harry said, sounding defeated. Annabel grabbed his nose and shrieked with laughter, her face lit up.

Luna suppressed a laugh and came out from behind the counter. Harry noticed she was wearing odd socks; one was ankle length and blue, while the other was knee length and orange. Luna walked along the shelves of her shop, pausing every so often, and making 'hmm’ noises.

The shelves were stocked with, well, junk. But interesting junk you might see at a car boot sale or eBay. Luna Moon was the shop to visit if you ever needed that unique present, or just a laugh at the strange items for sale.

"What are you looking for?" Harry asked, after Luna passed the same spinning badger head for the third time.

"Love and happiness, you?" Luna answered nonchalantly. "Oh, you mean right now?" she quickly added, realising Harry's question. "I'm not sure yet, I'll know when I see it."

Harry nodded, feeling that this was pointless. Whatever he could give Ginny would certainly not be in here.

Ron had the right idea for Hermione's present; he bought some paint, a few sheets of parchment, and a brush for their three-year-old, Hannah, to draw a picture for her mother. Ron explained he would then frame it. It was a brilliant idea in Harry's opinion, and he would have used it too if Annabel could draw anything other than a blob with lines sticking out.

After a moment, Harry heard a triumphant 'aah!' from Luna as she reached up to one of the high shelves, bringing down what looked like a pair of Muggle knitting needles. Luna stepped in front of her friend, smiling broadly as she showed him the purple needles.

"Uh - Ginny already has a pair of Magical Needles," Harry said, furrowing his brow. Ginny's needles, a gift from Mrs Weasley, could knit twice as fast as Muggle ones, and didn't involve holding them, they would knit hovering in front of you. It took Ginny a while to get the hang of them, resulting in Harry's first present, a jumper, having one sleeve longer than the other and twice as wide.

Luna held up a finger. "Yes! But these are different," she informed him. "They don't just knit, here, look." Luna held the needles a few inches apart and muttered an incantation. Letting go, the needles hovered in mid air for a moment. "Green apple!" Luna said clearly.

Harry wasn't surprised when the needles started to knit, but was when they appeared to be knitting a green juicy apple into the red yarn.

Smiling, Luna detached the small garment from the needles when it finished, and handed it to Harry, who nodded in approval, admiring the neat work.

"The best thing is, you don't even need to know how to knit, unlike the Magical Needles, which takes a few times to get the hang of the spell," Luna informed him, walking back behind the counter, placing the needles on the side.

Harry followed, standing opposite the blonde. He made a quick pained noise as he swapped the arm carrying Annabel with the other.

"Sounds good," Harry said, looking down at the needles, where a reasonable price tag hung. "I'll take them."

***


The first thing Ginny Potter saw when she opened her eyes was her husband's sparkling green staring back. Grinning, Ginny pushed herself up in bed and beamed as Harry set a tray on her lap. On the tray was a plate of toast, bacon and a chocolate croissant, with a small glass of orange juice next to it and a tiny vase, containing a single yellow flower.

"Happy Mother's Day," Harry said, kissing his wife on her blushing cheek.

"Oh, Harry, you shouldn't have, really," she replied, picking up a piece of toast and taking a bite.

"And why not? It is Mother's Day, is it not? And you are a Mother if I remember rightly," Harry said, chucking.

Ginny shook her head and continued to eat. Small 'mmm' noises escaped her lips as she finished her breakfast happily, wondering what other surprises there was in store. While she finished off the last bite of her croissant, savouring the chocolate coated inside, Harry brought in Annabel, who began to clap when she saw her mum.

"We have something for you," Harry said, putting Annabel on the bed next to her mum. Annabel's eyes were wide and curious, looking up at her mum with a huge smile on her little face.

"Oh, Harry," The red-head replied, moving the tray off her lap and onto the floor.

"It isn't much, but you'll understand how hard shopping is when Father's Day comes around," Harry said, handing Ginny a poorly wrapped gift. He sat on the edge of the bed, holding his breath as he watched her open it.

Eyes wide, the young mother made a shocked noise, picking up the scarlet item, which was as big as a head-towel. Entwined in the yarn was the image of her husband and daughter, from their heads to shoulders, grinning up at her. Harry's green eyes were done in the brightest of yarn, while the lion's mane in Annabel's top was of a beautiful gold.

Ginny felt as though she might cry, no one had given her such a thoughtful gift - apart from her engagement ring of course - and she loved it.

"Oh," she whispered in awe, looking up at her husband, her eyes glazed with tears. "I love it … so much." She wrapped her arms around her daughter, kissing the top of her head, and then held out her arms to Harry, who budged closer and was given a deep kiss of adulation.

"Thank you so much, but I don't deserve all this," Ginny said, wiping her eyes.

Shaking his head, Harry replied, "You do, and so much more. I love you, Ginny, we both do, and this is our way of saying, 'thank you for being here for us'."

Now she really did feel like crying. Ginny had told her husband many times before that she didn't deserve him, and each time Harry replied in a tone that suggested he couldn't think why she continued to ask!

Harry had been nearing his seventeenth birthday before he realised that Ron's little sister had turned into a beautiful woman, and then he was nearing his eighteenth before he did anything about it.

Ginny decided that this moment was in the top five 'best days of her life', with the day Harry asked her out in first place, followed by the day she lost her virginity to the man she loved, their wedding and the day Annabel was born.

Today, March the sixth, two-thousand-and-five, was the day that Ginevra Molly Potter would look back on as the beginning of the new chapter in her life, not only as a daughter, sister and wife, but as a mother, something that had never sunk in, until now.

Fin.
Reviews 6
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear