Search:

SIYE Time:13:15 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter and the Power of the Garuda
By YelloWitchGrl

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Comedy, Fluff, Humor, Tragedy, Drama
Warnings: Death, Sexual Situations, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 301
Summary: Harry seventh year has not turned out as he expected! Will he find the power that he needs to defeat Voldemort? What does his love life have to do with it? What is Garuda?
Hitcount: Story Total: 170190; Chapter Total: 6103







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


It was less than a week and a half before OWLs and NEWTs. The fifth and seventh years were studying were studying constantly and Harry decided to read through Hermione’s notes and textbooks on Arithmancy, Ancient Runes and Muggle Studies. He informed the Headmaster that he would take each of the NEWTs that were offered. It took him several days to make it through all of her notes and he had never before fully appreciated how many notes Hermione actually took. He also took on the daunting task of catching up in the several subjects that he had dropped after fifth year. He was still sure that he would fail Divination but thought he should try. They were working quietly at a table in the common room when McGonagall came through the portrait hole to inform them that Dumbledore required their presence in his office.

They walked the path to the Headmaster’s domain as they had many times before and again this trip was completed in silence. As they reached the gargoyle, with Harry in the lead, it sprang to life as it did every time Harry approached it. He had stopped being surprised by it now although that had not stopped Ginny from teasing him that he could really go anywhere in the castle. She was still going on about being able to get up the girls staircase, which caused him to blush furiously every time she mentioned it.

When they walked into his office it was to find that many of the Order members were present. Remus was sitting close to Pru Scotch and from what Harry could see of them they appeared to be holding hands, which made him smile. Professor McGonagall took a seat with Professor Snape, who glowered at them. Hagrid grinned at them from where he was standing in the back of the room right next to Mad-Eye Moody. Harry recognized several others but no one that he knew very well. They squeezed onto a smaller couch, which was empty and listened as several people gave a quick report. Harry was starting to wonder why they were even there. This was clearly an official Order meeting and they still had not been allowed to join. Harry had spent an entire year being bitter of this but had finally let it go when Fred and George informed him that they regularly fell asleep. Harry could understand why now. It was extremely dull listening to reports of where Death Eaters went and what they bought. Even such innocuous things as new robes were mentioned.

Harry felt Ginny start to drift off next to him so he put his arm around her so that she would be more comfortable. He looked over and saw that Ron was also nodding off but Hermione was still soaking it all in. Ron and Hermione were lacking in sleep from studying and Ginny had started to read through the books she would need to become a Matron, which could be dull and repetitious. She had made Harry read them earlier and even he had struggled through. He was unsurprised to learn that they were written in the eighteenth century. He had started quizzing her on certain facts and she was working very hard on getting it all right but the strain was starting to show. She wanted to get it done soon so that as soon as she had enough births, she could become qualified. Matrons only needed an OWL in Charms, Potions and Herbology as far as education went but Ginny had decided to stay at Hogwarts, even if she qualified this summer and take several NEWTs next year.

Ginny woke up suddenly when Dumbledore cleared his throat. “Severus if you would kindly give us your report then our younger guests can return back to studying diligently.”

“Of course Headmaster. I would hate for the children present to be up past their bed times.” He sneered at Harry. “I learned recently that the Dark Lord is going to try and break into Azkaban. The fortress has been put under the Fidelius Charm and has also been made unplottable but these precautions alone are easy to get around. The Aurors that are stationed there never leave so security has been very tight; nevertheless the Dark Lord feels that he has the resources and the spies to break it open. There are forty of his strongest Death Eaters housed there and he needs them out if he is to stay on target for taking over the Ministry this summer.” The potions master halted there and sat back.

What part of this had to do with them? Harry thought hard. It was obvious that Dumbledore wanted them to pay attention to Snape’s report but what could they do to stop the breakout? Harry looked over at Dumbledore who had started speaking. “If anyone has any idea of a way that we can protect the prison then I ask that you bring please inform us.”

Hermione shifted and coughed slightly. When the Headmaster acknowledged, she spoke. “I believe that performing the Seferess Charm would solve the problem.”

Several people murmured and Harry had to grin. That would certainly do it. Leave it to Hermione to think of it too. Ron spoke up. “What is the Seferess Charm exactly?”

“It is a charm that makes a building or place unidirectional so that someone may only go in but can never come out until the charm is lifted.” She explained to him. It looked as though she was educating several of the older adults as well.

“That is impossible.” Snape sneered at her. “The amount of power it would take to perform it has not been seen in centuries. The Headmaster has tried to place this charm but even he has not managed it. I know that the Dark Lord has also tried to perform this spell and he too has failed. If they cannot do it then it cannot be done.”

“Harry can.” Ginny piped in looking confident. Harry blushed and looked down at his feet. It was embarrassing but it also felt wonderful that she had so much faith in him. He couldn’t help but smile. It was an amazing feeling to know that someone loved him and trusted in him that much.

“Potter has no more chance of casting that charm than…” Snape began but Ginny cut him off by standing. Harry looked up at her in amazement.

“I am sick of this! You are constantly belittling him and he has done nothing but save your life!” She yelled at her astonished Professor.

He recovered quickly, however. “SIT DOWN GIRL!” He bellowed back menacingly. “You are being blatantly disrespectful and if you do not desist, you will face expulsion.” Harry tried to pull her down but she shook him off and glared at Snape. “Furthermore,” he mocked. “Potter has never saved my life although I have certainly saved his more than once.”

Ginny smiled triumphantly. “OH I see. So you didn’t almost lose your soul to a Dementor? You weren’t paralyzed in fear like everyone else? My mistake! I must have missed the part where your Patronus charged down all of those horrible creatures and killed them to SAVED US ALL!!!” She sat down then and crossed her arms but still watched the man carefully as several emotions played across his face. The most prominent one was disgust.

“Please!” Dumbledore began. “Harry do you feel that you can do this charm?”

Harry smiled. “Sure. I already have. I tried it on a classroom about a month ago. I was able to cast it and then lift it.” Everyone gaped at him except Dumbledore and Ginny. The old man just smiled with a twinkle in his eye and his better half kissed his cheek. Understanding washed over Harry. The Headmaster had known that he could cast the charm and that was why they were at this meeting.

“Well then Harry, I believe that you shall be heading to Azkaban soon to perform the charm. We have to let the guards know what will happen as it will need to be arranged through Minister Davies. We shall try and keep this as quiet as possible.”

“I have a question.” Pru interjected. “What happens to the charm if Harry dies? Will the people inside be stuck in there forever?”

“No.” Hermione told her. “Harry would be like a secret keeper. If he dies then the charm is lifted.”

“What about mail? Can any go in or out?” Someone else asked.

“Not out.” Hermione said looking at the man. “It is completely unidirectional. Only things can go in. Mail can be delivered but we would not know if the guards were having problems because they would not be able to get word out to us. That is part of what makes the charm unpopular but for a prison it would be optimal.”

“Right then. I believe we have everything done for tonight. Does anyone else have something that they would like to add? Fine. I bid you goodnight.” Dumbledore concluded effectively ending the meeting.

BREAK

Harry had gone to Azkaban to perform the charm the day before their NEWTs started. He had gotten back that evening extremely tired and had went straight to his bed for a nap. He had not really felt tired when he cast the charm on the one classroom but Azkaban was enormous. The island was depressing and desolate except for the hideous fortress that stood alone. There was a graveyard of sorts but no headstones and no plants grew on the island. It was draining just to be on the island and it felt almost like the Dementors were still there. Harry was surprised that the guards weren’t crazy but he met most of them and they were a jovial group. Several of them reminded Harry of Charlie Weasley. The ones who chose to work out here knew what they were getting into and were thankful that Harry was setting up the charm. Their biggest threat was not the prisoners but the fear of attack from outside. If that threat was removed the guards were sure that there would be no problems.

Harry came down later that night to find his friends studying at one of the tables so he sat down with them. The portrait hole opened and Neville walked in with a gloomy face. “Hey Neville, what’s up?” Harry asked him.

Neville walked over and pulled up a chair. “I was studying in the library with Padma Patil.” He told them.

Harry and Hermione grinned at each other. Hermione spoke up. “Is that a problem? You don’t look too happy about it.”


Neville shrugged his shoulders. “I guess not. She’s really nice and smart.”

“Not to mention gorgeous.” Ron piped in. At the murderous look on Hermione’s face he continued quickly. “But of course, not as beautiful as you.”

Ginny looked over at Neville. “Do you like her, Neville?”

Neville blushed. “I don’t know, I guess I like her. I mean it isn’t like I really have a chance with her but sometimes I would swear that she is flirting with me. Girls are just really confusing.”

Hermione smiled kindly. “Neville… we think that maybe she likes you.”

Neville’s face went blank. “What? Why?”

“Oh Neville honestly! There is nothing wrong with you!” Ginny said exasperatedly. “We have seen her flirting with you! I think you should tell her how you feel.”

“You sure?” He asked her anxiously.

“YES!” All four of them said together.

“Gryffindor courage, right?” He sighed. “Then why would I rather face ten Death Eaters than tell her that I fancy her?”

Harry and Ron laughed. “We’ve all felt that way mate.” Ron assured him.

Neville gave them a nervous smile. “She’s still in the library… maybe I’ll go and speak to her now.” He got up and walked purposefully out of the common room.

“He’s really changed.” Ginny observed as she watched him leave. “I mean besides from getting taller and losing some weight. He has a lot more confidence than he used to have.”

“Yes he really has.” Harry added. “How much more are you going to study?” He asked Ginny.

She smiled at him. “Oh I think I’m done for the evening. Do you want to go for a stroll around the castle?”

“Just no broom cupboards!” Ron said without even looking up from his notes.

“Ron!” Ginny said with a fake pout. “How am I ever going to see his pink boxers if we don’t find some place that is private?”

All of them laughed. “You just wait Ginny!” Ron told her finally meeting her gaze. “I’m going to actually give him a pair of lacy pink knickers for your wedding.”

Ginny’s grin was evil. “Just as long as they are in my size so I can wear them for him, then that will be just fine.”

Harry blushed at the image that came to his mind and Ron’s mouth fell open. “Oh I did NOT need to hear that!” He dropped his head onto the table and groaned.

Harry, Ginny and Hermione just laughed. Hermione whispered something to him that made him smile but Harry and Ginny didn’t stick around to hear what it was. They had better things to do and just to set the record straight they did not find any broom cupboards. They ran into a smiling Neville on his way back from walking Padma to Ravenclaw Tower. Apparently she did like him and if the look on his face was anything to go by then they were an official item now.

BREAK

“I am so glad exams are over!” Hermione commented as she sat down at the Gryffindor table for the leaving feast. “I don’t think I could take another test right now.”

“Did I hear you right?” Ron asked her. “Is the love of my life, the smartest person I know, tired of studying?” He grinned at her.

Hermione laughed. “If you must know, then YES! I’m sorry to be leaving Hogwarts but in a week we will be getting married and I’d rather be doing that then more schoolwork. So how did you do Harry?”

“Hm? Oh, it was easy.” He had been playing with Ginny’s long hair. It never stopped being fascinatingly soft. “I’m glad it’s over with though. That defense exam was a bit of a joke really.”

Ron laughed. “I agree. After all of the things you showed us in the DA that duel with the examiner was simple. Now as long as I passed the potions exam then I’ll get to be an Auror.” Ron had gotten a pre-acceptance letter that morning.

“I’m proud of you.” Hermione said kissing his cheek. “I told you that all of that studying would pay off.”

“You gave me an incentive to try harder.” He kissed her on the mouth. “I love you.”

Harry took the opportunity to kiss Ginny. “I’m just glad we made it through the year without Voldemort appearing.” Harry commented.

“Don’t jinx it. There are several more hours left.” Ginny said with a smile.

“I won’t. Are you all packed yet?” Harry asked her.

“Of course.” She smiled cheekily at him. “Can I count on you to carry my truck down the girl’s stairs for me?”

“You’re never going to let me live that down are you?” He sighed exasperatedly.

“Actually no. I think it’s terribly romantic.”

“Students!” Dumbledore said standing up to address everyone. “Another year has come to an end and with its end we must remember those that we have lost.”

He kept speaking but Harry could not seem to concentrate. His scar began to prickle like it had not in almost a year and he felt the anger. He looked up at the professors and saw that Dumbledore continued to speak but Snape caught his eye. The potion master’s face was pinched. Their eyes met and a brief nod was exchanged between them. The students all stood and raised their glasses and Harry scrambled to his feet to do the same. He saw that many of the students had tears in their eyes and several were openly crying. Harry glanced over and saw Susan and Justin at the Hufflepuff table. Susan was crying into his shoulder and he was holding her with one hand on her very large stomach. The realization that they would be parents very soon hit him. So much had changed. So many of the students who had started the year in the hall were no longer there. Harry felt tears in his own eyes as he pulled Ginny into his embrace. He held onto her. She was his anchor.

The feast could not end quickly enough for Harry and when it did he ran straight towards the head table. Snape came towards him and spoke to him in a calm voice but with a sneer planted on his face. “Tonight he was going to trying to liberate Azkaban. Doubtless he was livid to learn that his plans had been ruined. He will also know that it is you who cast the charm, so you will need to be on your guard. If you get yourself killed then all of his worst supporters will be free.” The horrid expression remained on his face as he spoke again but his tone was even. “By the way Potter, thank you for pissing him off.”
Reviews 301
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear