Search:

SIYE Time:12:03 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Hogwarts Muggle Picnic
By Ravenclaw

- Text Size +

Category: Muggle Picnic Challenge (2005-2)
Characters:None
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 15
Summary: A muggle picnic is the perfect activity to boost morale and support at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
Hitcount: Story Total: 4349







ChapterPrinter


A/N: I barely made it! Ack!





Harry Potter sat on the lawn at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It was April on the lawn of the school grounds; it felt like July to the students. There had been a beautiful week in March followed by a stormy week to bring in April. The weather had thankfully cleared and progressively gotten warmer.

On Thursday previous, Hermione and Ron had come back from their prefect meeting with news of a school-wide picnic for Saturday. It was to be a Muggle picnic, a boost in morale. The younger students needed something to take their minds off the war that was raging in the wizarding world just beyond the walls of the school.

Hermione had explained that not only would it boost their spirits, it would also give them a better idea of Muggle life. This would hopefully keep them on the right side during the war. If they learned at a young age that Muggles aren’t horrible, as Voldemort and his supporters suggested, then there was hope for them in this hate filled society.

Harry had agreed enthusiastically with her, as had Ron, Neville and Ginny. The only one who had faltered had been Ron, when Hermione suggested that he should be the one to cook.

“Since you are a pure blood, it would look better,” Hermione explained. “People wouldn’t think twice if it was Dean or Seamus or any other Muggle raised person. A pure blood cooking like a Muggle, Ron, they’ll notice.”

Reluctantly, Ron had agreed to do it, as long as Hermione stayed and coached him through it. Harry looked over across the lawn to where Ron was standing over a Muggle Barbeque pit with a set of tongs in one hand. He was wearing an apron that Ginny had transfigured out of one of his old robes as a joke. It read “Kiss the Cook” in large red letters. He had Harry’s vote for best dressed Muggle.

Dean was standing back talking to Hermione animatedly, about what, Harry was unsure. Dean Thomas had stepped in to help Ron with the tongs after having dropped three hot dogs and an ear of corn through the slats in the grill and was threatening to get his wand out and blow it to smithereens. Hermione had smoothed his feathers with a gentle hand on his arm and a kiss on the cheek.

With a grin, Harry lay back on the blue gingham blanket. He wondered when Ron and Hermione would get a clue and snog. Propping himself up on an elbow, Harry glanced around the grounds noticing more students. The smell of food wafting up to the castle had probably done the trick.

Harry recognized from the amount of people that nearly all of the Hufflepuffs, Ravenclaws and Gryffindors were present. To his surprise, Harry also recognized a few of the sixth and fifth year Slytherin students; none from his year were present. There were also some younger students that he didn’t recognize and he wondered if they were also from Slytherin.

Something about their presence at the picnic was unnerving, yet comforting. He gained hope that not all from Slytherin was lost.

He also, with a glance, noticed that some of the pure bloods had taken the challenge for the Best Dressed Muggle Contest being sponsored by the school Prefects. While most were dressed in Muggle t-shirts and shorts, there were a few that scampered about in garish party dresses. One of the Ravenclaw boys was wearing a white tuxedo with blue fixtures. A broad grin split Harry’s face when he saw Luna. She was wearing a dress that would have been at home in the sixteenth century. Her hair was pilled on top of her head in a lavish up do. Scouting the crowd, Harry found who he was looking for.

Ginny was wearing a simple yellow sundress that fell just below her knees. She was near the food table talking about Quidditch with Seamus and Neville. Neither of the boys actually played much, but they both followed the national league. He heard her gasp and shout something about the Wasps needing to get someone who actually new how to hold a Quaffle to play for them (And maybe a Seeker with eyes).

Harry rolled over on his back. Ginny Weasley, he thought with a smile. Ginny was one of his best friends now, but so much more than that really.

After the incident at the Ministry of Magic during Harry’s fifth year, her family, including Ron, had reverted to treating her like a baby. Harry had retreated into himself and didn’t really think about treating her any way. While Ron and Hermione decided it was best to let him alone to grieve, Ginny had other plans.

She would follow him around the house and make a point of not letting him alone. At first he had hated it, but when he finally got her to stop, he realized that he missed her company. He apologized to her for being such a prat and since then they had been nearly inseparable.

“Why are you grinning like the cat that ate the canary?” Ginny said with a smirk as she and Neville sat down on the blanket. Ginny handed him a cup of punch.

Graciously, he took it from her and took a sip. “A bit warm, don’t you think?” he asked motioning toward the cup.

“Yes, our brilliant Muggle born Head Girl,” Ginny said pursing her lips and glancing at Hermione, “forgot the ice.” Neville and Harry laughed.

“I would think that one of the professors would put a cooling charm on it,” Neville said.

“Professor McGonagall tried, but Hermione threw a fit claiming that she was undermining the purpose of the event,” Ginny explained dryly.

Soon, Luna joined them, standing near the edge of the blanket. “Why aren’t you sitting with us?” Neville asked her bemused.
“Have you ever worn a corset?” she asked him airily. Ginny snickered while Harry and Neville both managed to blush at the mention of her undergarments.

Without a word, Neville got to his feet and joined her in standing at the edge of the blanket. He inquired as to if she would like to go change, offering to walk with her. She refused to change on the premise that she needed to purchase sugar quills with the prize gift certificate, but she did take him up on the offer of a walk. They bid their farewells and strutted off toward the lake.

Lunch was served and Harry and Ginny ate together on the blanket in silence. When they were nearly finished, Ginny asked him if he would rather go swimming or make a kite, and since he didn’t have his trunks, he decided that he would rather make a kite, or just watch Ginny swim.

“Kite it is, then,” she said with a smile as she started to gather up the paper plates off the blanket.

“Three legged race!” someone shouted in the distance, a bunch of students scrambled in that direction.

When he turned back around from watching the commotion, time stopped in his mind. There was a football only inches from the back of Ginny’s head. It hit her with enough force to knock her over, her head landing solidly against Harry’s knee.

“Hey!” he growled angrily in the direction of where Colin and Denis Creevey were running toward them. “Are you alright?” he asked Ginny tenderly.

“Bloody Hell!” she exclaimed rolling over onto her back. Harry pushed her hair out of her face gently.

“Are you alright?” Colin asked as he got closer.

“Fantastic,” she snarled.

“Sorry, we were just teaching some of the kids how to play football. Justin Finch-Fletchley has a cannon for a leg!” Denis chattered happily, “I was second in my league back home, but I am nothing compared to him! Sorry Ginny, are you OK?”

“Yeah, I am fine Denis. Go back to playing but keep that bloody ball away from my head,” Ginny said wincing slightly.

“Sorry again,” Colin said as he turned back to the Muggle game.

Ginny held the back of her head in pain, while the bump from Harry’s knee started to darken just above her right eyebrow.

“Are you alright? Maybe we should go up to the castle and get some ice,” Harry suggested.

“I’ll be fine,” she responded quickly. “Really,” she added noticing the look of concern on Harry’s face.

On her back, with her hair spread out behind her, she looked like an angel to Harry. He wanted to kiss the bump that was growing on her forehead, but decided against it. There had been so many times that he had wanted to kiss her this year and last. He knew he had to do something about the way he felt before he went home for the summer. He also knew if he didn’t do it before he had to face Voldemort, he may never get the chance.

“What’s wrong?” Ginny asked furrowing her brow as she sat up.

“Nothing. Let’s go make our kite,” he suggested as he stood up and offered her a hand to help her up. Somewhere along the line they had made a commitment to each other and they weren’t simply friends, but he didn’t know what exactly they were. They hadn’t held hands or professed undying love, or even a crush for that matter, but in his heart, he knew. It was in the way that she looked at him, and he her.

Harry sat down on another blanket near the kite booth as Ginny went to pick out the materials. She returned with a glittery blue paper, two sticks, various lengths of string and some other supplies.

“I hope you don’t mind, but it was this,” she motioned to the shiny paper, “or some awful pink colour.”

Harry laughed and agreed that the blue was alright. They set to work gluing and tying the kite together. He watched her as she tied strips of fabric onto a long string as according to the directions sheet she was handed.

“I’ve never flown a kite,” Harry said a quietly as they fastened the last string on.

Ginny smiled sadly. “I figured you hadn’t. Let’s go over there,” she said pointing to an area of the grounds near Hagrid’s hut. Harry agreed and started walking with her, carrying the kite.

“We can fly it together, first,” Ginny suggested breaking the silence. She set the kite down and stepped back holding onto the string, pulling it into the air. There wasn’t much of a breeze, but the kite soared into the air anyway. Ginny motioned for Harry to stand behind her and hold on to the edges of the stick that she held in her smile hands.

Her hair smelled of the outdoors, fresh spring grass and flowers. Smiling to himself, he forced his ears to hear her explaining how to control the kite. “…and if you move to the left, it follows. It’s really not hard,” she said softly.

Harry hunched down, resting his chin on her shoulder, perfectly content to keep flying the kite together. “Gin,” he whispered, “How’s your head?”

The bump had turned a rather nasty shade of purple. “It’s alright,” she said turning her head to face him. They were comfortable looking into each others eyes, but Harry knew in an instant that today was the day.

He licked his lips and leaned slowly into her to kiss her. His stomach was doing flips in his abdomen. Ginny tilted her head slightly to one side and met him half way. It was a soft kiss, their lips just barely touching. Harry pulled away and laid a gentle kiss to Ginny's forhead before moving back to her lips. It was soft and innocent as far as kisses go, but all together perfect.

“Hey!” someone yelled from behind them, “You’ve lost your kite!”

Alarmed, they broke their kiss. Sure enough, their kite was flying off on its own accord, both of them having dropped the stick once the kiss had been initiated.

Harry grinned and Ginny giggled. In the distance they heard a roar of applause and people cheering Luna on. Harry slipped his hand around Ginny’s and gave a gentle squeeze as they headed back to the picnic.
Reviews 15
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear