Search:

SIYE Time:11:59 on 16th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Demons In The Dreams
By YelloWitchGrl

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Post-Hogwarts
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Comedy, Drama
Warnings: Death, Extreme Language, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 156
Summary: Ginny and Harry are Aurors and together they struggle to survive their inner demons. Dreams plague the pair as they try to deal with the past and survive their future. Why does Ginny dream of her past as if it were the present? This is a puzzle/mystery that will keep you guessing until the very end.
Hitcount: Story Total: 127568; Chapter Total: 6178







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


“He doesn’t know anything?” Tonks exclaimed in disbelief after Ginny told her about questioning their interrogation of the prisoner under Veritaserum.

“Not a thing. He ran right after Voldemort’s fall and did not even know that Malfoy had escaped.” Ginny closed her eyes to hide the disappointment. Her drive to catch the tall blonde had steadily increased every day since he’d broken out of Azkaban. She didn’t blame the guards because she knew how conniving Malfoy could be but part of her almost wished that the Dementors were still guarding it, no matter who foul they are.

Tonks sighed heavily. “We’ll get him.”

BREAK

Ginny walked in to the Auror Headquarters a week later and was immediately bombarded by her brother. “Where have you been?” Ron demanded.

“Having lunch with your better half.” She replied evenly as she removed her cloak and hung it over her desk chair.

“Harry’s in the training room destroying everything.” Ron informed her hurriedly.

“Damn.” She sighed. “What happened?”

Ron studied her. “Ten muggles were killed, one was his cousin. Best we can figure is that it was Malfoy. The pattern is the same for the others that he has killed. I tried to talk to Harry but he banished me from the room and locked it. You know how he gets. Anyway, can you deal with him?”

“Yes. I’ll go curse him.” Ginny got out her wand and removed her outer robes to reveal the jeans and t-shirt that she always wore under them while at work. She moved back to the training room and removed the locking charm as silently as possible. If she wasn’t careful he’d detect her arrival. She opened the door and saw that he was cursing several conjured dummies with his back to her. She closed the door and locked it again before firing her favorite spell at him, the Bat-Bogey Hex. He reacted quickly and blocked it before firing a cutting curse at her. She dived out of the way and started sending every powerful spell at him that she knew. He always blocked but she could see that he was distracted by his anger and grief.

Finally he didn’t dodge or block the jinx but let it hit him square in the chest. He started thrashing about but only for a moment. She lifted it and ran over to him as he fell to the ground. He was lying on the floor just looking up at her, his eyes deadened. She sat down and pulled his head in to her lap so that she could run her hands through his hair. “I’m so sorry Harry.” She finally whispered before gently tracing the scar on his forehead.

“I need to go and see my aunt. She deserves to know the truth but I’m afraid she’ll hate me even more.” He whispered hoarsely.


“Is that possible?” Ginny asked quietly and the ghost of a smile flitted across his face.

“Probably not.” He sighed as he closed his eyes. “She really loathes me. I’m just glad that Uncle Vernon is dead already or else he probably would have tried to strangle me and said it was my fault.”

“Do you think she still blames you for his death?” She inquired gently, now tracing the worry lines that marred his young face.

He let out a raspy breath. “I did sort of cause the heart attack. I mean, I was yelling at him right before he had it. But honestly, the man ate the worst possible foods for his health. He was bound to die young.”

She nodded although she still did not completely understand muggle medicine. Witches and wizards did not have heart attacks. “Do you want me to go with you?”

He nodded. “I don’t know if I can do it alone.”

“You won’t ever have to.”

He stood slowly and helped her to her feet. “Let’s go find a fireplace and floo to Mrs. Figg’s.”

“Right.” She led him out the door and they walked down to the Atrium where the fireplaces were.

After leaving Mrs. Figg’s home they walked quickly down to Privet Drive. When the house was in sight Harry took her hand in his. She looked up at him questioningly. “I don’t want you to listen to anything she says. She can be a…”

“Witch?” Ginny asked innocently and he a smile forced its way onto his face.

“Not exactly what I was thinking but close enough.” He turned back towards the house that held only memories of hell for him and the woman who lived there. He moved purposefully towards the house but did not let go of her hand. He raised his fist and knocked. It should have sounded solid against the wooden door but Ginny thought that the sound was more like wrapping on a coffin, hollow and morbid.

After a few moments a woman opened the door. “Can I help you?”

Harry cleared his throat. “My name is Harry Potter and I’m here to see my aunt.”

Her nose wrinkled slightly. “You’re Harry? I thought Petunia said you were in prison.”

Ginny would have laughed if it had been any other situation. “You must have misunderstood her.” She smiled condescendingly at the woman. “Harry is a detective. He catches criminals and sends them to prison.” Ginny was very thankful at that moment that she had taken Muggle Studies.

She raised one perfectly tweezed eyebrow. “Come in then.” She moved out of the door and she pointed to the lounge. “Your aunt is in there.”

Harry made his way in to the room and over to stand in front of his aunt who was in a smart black dress. When she looked up she did not seemed surprised to see him. “What do you want?” She sniffed and wiped the tears with a hankie.

“I wanted to tell you what happened to Dudley.”

She waved a hand dismissively. “Sit then; don’t just stand there boy!”

He sat and pulled Ginny down with him. “You aren’t surprised that I’m here.” He said flatly.

“I had to identify…” A fresh wave of tears pooled in her eyes. “I just knew that he was hurt by one of your…” She sniffed and clamped her mouth shut.

“We want you to know Mrs. Dursley, that we are doing everything we can to track down his killer.” Ginny informed the older woman.

The grief fled her eyes and instantly she was on her feet. “If it weren’t for your kind my son would not be dead!” She whispered menacingly. Ginny rose to her feet and got in her face but Petunia did not back down. “You have brought nothing but pain to my family, first with my moronic sister and her brat and then my poor Vernon!”

Ginny cut her off before she could go on. “If it weren’t for your sister then the entire world would be enslaved by now! And that brat, as you like to call him, is a hero who has saved countless lives!” Petunia scoffed and made to turn but Ginny caught her arm and held her firmly in place. “I would like to point out that Harry did not kill your husband, you did.” She smiled sweetly at the woman as she remembered what Harry had told her about heart attacks.

“I… I… did no such thing!” She denied forcefully although her eyes showed her fear.

“You fed him rubbish food and that’s why he died, not because Harry was yelling. That was just good timing.”

“Ginny.” Harry stood up and tried to pry her hand off of the other woman’s arm but she pushed him away.

“No. She has abused you for the last time. We came here out of a sense of duty and all she has done is insult you.”

Petunia dissolved in to tears. “Just leave me be.”

“Fine.” Ginny dropped her arm. “We’re very sorry for your loss and we’ll notify you when his killer has been caught.”

She nodded and turned away from them as they left. When the door was closed behind them Harry rounded on her. “What was that all about?”

“I’m sick of it! She had no right to say that to you.” She felt tears well up in her eyes. “Your family is supposed to love you unconditionally.”

His anger melted off of his face and he opened his arms to her. She ran at him and held on as if her life depended on it. His voice was gruff when he spoke. “My family does love me unconditionally. Or rather the family that matters to me does.”

BREAK

“Nice one.” Harry called to her after he finished binding the Death Eater that they had been tracking for months. “You saved my life… again.”

She laughed in relief that it was finally over. “Someone has to save your scrawny arse.” She put on a brave face but the fact that she had blasted away the Death Eater who was about to send the killing curse at him had her rattled. “Being an Auror is certainly never dull work.”


Ginny sat up in bed and looked widely around. “It’s all right Gin.” Harry said groggily from beside her. She’d completely given up on sleeping by herself. The nightmares had continued nightly for two weeks now.

“I don’t know what is wrong with me. I was fine for a while and only having once a week but now… now they are haunting me. I feel like they are trying to consume me.” She ran her hands roughly through her hair. She looked over at him as he hastily shoved his glasses on his face. “They aren’t getting worse for you?”

“No.” He answered hesitantly. “But it’s hard watching you go through this.”

“Why is this happening to me?” She whispered dejectedly. She let him pull her back down and he held her from behind, drawing her in as close as possible.

“Go to sleep. I’ll watch over you.” He said softly in her ear.

She shook her head. “You shouldn’t have to.”

“I want to. We’ll figure out what’s wrong Gin. I promise.”

She felt herself drift back in to sleep.


She looked around and she was in the meadow again but at first she didn’t see Harry. She started to walk towards a clump of trees and she found him waiting for her with a picnic. He stood and offered her his hand. “Have a seat.”

When she had sat he positioned himself behind her and put his arms around her waist before slowly kissing his way down her neck. “I love you.”

Joy filled her and happiness once again resided in her heart. “I love you too Harry.”

“I want to talk about the future.” He ran a hand slowly along her stomach. “I want to get married someday and have children.”

“I want that too.”

“Do you want to dance?” He asked her and when she nodded he stood and helped her up.

She noticed vaguely that she was wearing a long and flowing white dress that she had once seen on Hermione. They danced together perfectly and all Ginny could focus on was how romantic it all was. She knew it wasn’t real but she could pretend for a while and ignore the fears and hurts that plagued her.

“You are so beautiful.” He told her as he looked in to her eyes.

With that short sentence her fantasy was shattered. All of the pain that had been held at bay returned and she found herself swirling in a haze of black mist. “NO!” She started to spin faster and a wave of nausea overtook her. Desperately she tried to find something to stabilize her, something to cling to.

Then she saw him. Harry was coming towards her, seemingly unaffected by the turmoil. “Take my hand. I can get you out of this.”

For some reason she resisted. “No, I need to do this by myself.”

“You can’t. You need me.” He said shortly.

She shook her head. “I can’t need you because you don’t need me.”

“I’ve told you that I need you.” He tried to grab her but she moved away from him. “Why don’t you believe me?”

“Why would you need me?” She yelled in frustration.

“How can you say that? You are the only person who understands me!” His enchanting green eyes burned in to hers.

“Then why won’t you love me?” She whispered in anguish and immediately she began to fall.


“WHAT?” Ginny yelled as she jumped.

“Merlin Gin!” Harry cried in relief. His face was hovering inches above hers. “You wouldn’t wake up. I tried everything but you just kept thrashing about.”

“Was… was I saying anything?” She asked him but dreading the answer.

“Just mumbling about love. What was your dream about this time?”

She felt her face flush and she turned away. “I was dreaming about a man saying that he loved me and he said he wanted to marry me.” She couldn’t mention the part about having children. It was too agonizing to remember. When he didn’t reply she turned back to look at him. The pain on his face was raw and intense. “Harry?”

He swallowed before speaking. “Then what happened?”

“Then I was surrounded in this black mist spinning out of control. You were there trying to help me but I… and then I was falling and I woke up.” She finished quickly.

He fell back on to the bed and when she looked she was horrified to see tears running down his cheeks. “I thought we didn’t keep secrets.” He turned to her. “Who was he and why didn’t you marry him?”

“What?” She asked, completely at a loss for how to respond.

“You never told me that someone proposed to you.” His voice held the slightest hint of an accusation.

“No one has proposed to me!” She practically shouted at him. “What are you on about?”

“YOUR DREAM!” He exclaimed but then he seemed to have lost the anger because his next words were dejected. “Why didn’t you tell me? Did you think I’d be mad or something?”

“I still don’t see…” She stopped because at that moment she did. Almost all of her dreams were of real events. “Oh… no, Harry it was just a nice pleasant dream where a man said he loved me. It didn’t ever really happen.”

“So you’ve never had some git ask you to marry him?”

“No.” She paused and his words came back to her. "Why would he be a git if he wanted to marry me?”

He sighed and looked over at her. “I didn’t mean it like that.”

She closed her eyes trying to fight off the tears. “It doesn’t matter.”

“Ginny, really… I didn’t mean for it to sound like that.” He ran a hand over her cheek. “Do you want to get married? Is that why you’re dreaming about it?”

Against her will the tears spilled out from her eyelids. “Like I said before, it doesn’t matter. No one is going to want to marry me. I’m a mess inside and I can’t even sleep through the night without having a nightmare.”

“Ginny, look at me please.” Slowly she opened her eyes to meet his. The deep green pools studied her. “If you want to get married someday then I think you should.”

“I can’t Harry.” She started to sob and she buried her face in his chest. Mercifully he let it go.
Reviews 156
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear