Search:

SIYE Time:22:38 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


It Happened One Night
By SunDevil05

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Buried Gems
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff, General
Warnings: Death, Sexual Situations, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 1042
Summary: Harry and Ginny make a decision that changes their lives....
Hitcount: Story Total: 253592; Chapter Total: 10000







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


A/N: Thank you all for reading! I'm glad that no one is going to kill me for doing that to Harry and Ginny . . . though you might after this. And to tell you the truth, I didn't like the name Bryce all that much either.

I'm very curious to see who you all think is the spy. If you'd like, you can email me with who you think it is and the reasons why, but I won't tell you if you are right or wrong quite yet. You'll have to wait and see.

Slight note, there is some language in here and a little violence, not too much though. Just to warn you.

On a final note, I started summer school today, so updates might take longer than I expect.

Happy Reading! And as with the last chapter, I'M SORRY!!!

DISCLAIMER: You should know it's not mine by now.




Chapter Twenty


That following Sunday afternoon, the Potters were seen heading towards Hogsmeade. They had decided to have a small burial for their lost son. The Weasleys and Hermione had attended the somber ceremony in the wizarding graveyard. The day was cloudy and cold, making all of those who stood around the tiny grave shiver beneath their cloaks. Ginny could barely speak as her eyes were fixed on the engraved words of her lost son’s name on the gravestone. She held James in her arms tightly as the ceremony took place with Harry’s arms around her, his face buried in her hair. He was unable to even look at the gravestone. It was silent except for the occasional chirping of a bird and the rustle of leaves and branches as the wind blew. No one knew what to say and even Fred and George were lost with ways of cheering up their little sister. Molly had hugged each of her children tightly, hoping she would never have to bury one of her own, like her daughter. After the ceremony, Molly had hugged Ginny tightly and Ginny had burst into tears. Harry gathered her in his arms and she cried into his robes as he tried to soothe her. They stayed there, long after everyone had left, staring at the tiny grave until the sun was beginning to set.

They were nearing the large oak doors in complete silence. Silent tears were falling from Harry’s eyes and he desperately tried to hide them from Ginny. Harry noticed a familiar blonde standing near a tree. He was talking to his only companion, Pansy Parkinson. As they got closer, Malfoy watched them intently, completely oblivious to whatever Pansy was saying. Harry hurriedly swiped at his eyes beneath his glasses.

“Is Potter crying? What’s the matter Potter, lose something?” Malfoy asked, his lips curling into a snarl.

Everything in Harry’s vision had turned red. He stopped in his tracks and slowly faced his enemy.

“Ignore him, Harry,” Ginny whispered harshly.

“Poor, Pottyhead. He’s lost something and he can never get it back. How dreadful,” Malfoy sneered, taking full advantage of their loss.

“Draco,” Pansy warned.

“Maybe this will teach you a lesson Potter. You should never reproduce especially with someone like Weasley. One mistake is more than enough for you,” Malfoy continued, ignoring his girlfriend and looking at James.

That was all it took for Harry’s fist to connect with Malfoy’s mouth. The Slytherin staggered backwards and glared at Harry before lunging at him. Harry fell backwards with the weight of Malfoy and struggled to gain control of the fight. Harry heard Ginny and Pansy shouting at them to stop, but neither was listening as their fists flew with the intention of injuring the other person. He felt Malfoy’s fist make contact with his eye and Harry hissed in pain. He grabbed Malfoy by the shoulders and shoved him off. The pair rolled over and Harry leapt to his feet again. He watched Malfoy scramble to stand up again. As soon as Malfoy got to his feet, Harry grabbed him by the shirt and shoved him into the wall of the castle.

“You bastard! You killed my son!” Harry shouted, shaking Malfoy violently.

“You can’t prove that!” Malfoy shouted back as a trickle of blood oozed down his cheek.

“I don’t care. You’re a murderer and you’re going to pay for what you did. I shouldn’t have to bury my own children, they should be burying me!” Harry continued, hate and anger pouring out of him.

“Well then, I can arrange that. Have a toy shovel in your back pocket for the brat to use?” Malfoy smirked.

Harry threw another punch, this time into his stomach, and Malfoy doubled over, wheezing as he struggled to breathe right again.

“Harry, stop!” Ginny shrieked, grabbing Harry by the shoulder. He shrugged her off and advanced on Malfoy again. But Malfoy took the upper hand and Harry found himself being pushed up against the cold stone wall and Malfoy shooting daggers at him.

“Think you know everything, do you Potter? Do you honestly think you’ve got me figured out?” Malfoy said.

“I know you’re just like your father; a heartless, weak bastard. You don’t know what this feels like. You have no idea what I’m going through and you didn’t care when you killed my son,” Harry replied.

Something flickered in his cold grey eyes; a mixture of hurt, pain, remorse, sympathy. Harry studied his face and it seemed like Malfoy was looking regretful. The Slytherin glanced over his shoulder, staring at Ginny, James, and Pansy.

“Abigail.” Harry heard Malfoy barely whisper beneath his breath. His grip loosened and he looked back at Harry and glared.

“You don’t know what I feel Potter. You don’t have a clue of what I’m going through. I am nothing like my father,” he said and let Harry go. He watched Malfoy walk back to Pansy and the two of them went inside the castle.

Malfoy paused before entering the castle and he looked at Harry.

“I’m sorry.”

He sighed and went inside.

Harry was stunned as he stared at the spot where Malfoy was once standing. Harry felt a gentle hand on his face and looked down to see Ginny standing in front of him holding James with one arm and Harry saw he had fallen asleep.

“That looks bad,” she said, gently touching his face. He winced slightly and she removed her hand.

“You should go see Madam Pomfrey,” Ginny suggested. Harry stared at her. He didn’t want to go to the Hospital Wing so soon after losing Bryce.

“I’m fine,” Harry muttered and began to walk towards the door.

“Harry, that cut could get infected.” Ginny pressed, following him. He turned around.

“I said I was fine Ginny,” he said harshly. Ginny froze and stared at him for a moment and nodded her head.

“Fine,” she said and pushed past him.

They made their way back to Gryffindor Tower in silence. When they entered the common room, several students came up to offer their condolences. Once the small crowd dispersed, Harry looked around to find his friends and spotted them not too far from him. Ron and Hermione had changed out of the black robes they had worn at the funeral and were sitting at a table playing chess.

“Checkmate!” Ron cried and slapped his hand on the table. Hermione shook her head and looked at Harry and Ginny as they got closer. She gasped at the sight of Harry’s face.

“What happened?’ she exclaimed and moved to examine Harry’s face. He hissed in pain as she touched the area around his eye and it was obvious that he had a black eye.

“Malfoy’s fist got in my way,” Harry said gruffly and sank into a chair.

“You hit him first!” Ginny exclaimed, waking James. He began to whine in her arms and Ginny quickly calmed him down and soothed him back to sleep.

“He deserved it!” Harry replied, watching her try to get James to sleep again.

“What did he do?” Ron asked. Harry quickly told them about the encounter with Malfoy. He told them how he had accused Malfoy of being the one to slip that potion to Ginny and how Malfoy had said Harry didn’t know him. He told them what Malfoy had said about being like his father and that name he heard him whisper.

“Abigail? Who’s Abigail?” Ron frowned.

“I don’t know,” Harry sighed, removing his glasses and rubbing his face with his hands.

“Do you really think it was Malfoy though?” Hermione asked.

“Of course it’s Malfoy. He’s probably got the Death Mark on his arm already,” Ron said. “Look at his family!”

“That doesn’t mean he did it, Ron,” Hermione rolled her eyes.

“Well who else would do this to Ginny?” Harry asked, glancing at his wife who was now gazing down at the sleeping infant in her arms. His chest constricted painfully and he felt a lump in his throat. His decision on how to keep his family safe was made and he had to act soon.

“Corner,” Ron said, causing all three of them to look at him.

“Michael wouldn’t do that,” Ginny said.

“How do you know?” Ron asked, frowning at his sister. Ginny sighed, shifting James in her arms. He settled his head on her chest and slumbered on.

“Because I know him Ron. He wouldn’t do something like that,” Ginny explained.

“But look at how he’s been acting,” Ron said, sounding exasperated.

“He’s jealous, Ron. How else do you think an ex-boyfriend would react? He doesn’t have enough evilness in him to do something like that,” Ginny tried to clarify.

“Well then, who is it? Who could possibly be spying on you two?” Ron asked.

“I don’t know,” Harry answered. “The only two people I could think of would be Malfoy and Corner.”

“Snape!” Ron cried suddenly.

“Honestly Ron! Snape wouldn’t do it either,” Hermione rolled her eyes. “He’s a teacher and he’s on our side like he has been since first year!”

“But he’s been a Death Eater before and he just says he’s on our side. What if he’s not and is really on You-Know-Who’s side?” Ron said.

“But Dumbledore trusts him. Why would he trust him if Snape was working for Voldemort?” Harry said. Ron flinched at the name and Hermione rolled her eyes at him.

“Think about it. It was a potion, right? Who else would make a potion like that?” Ron pointed out.

“That still doesn’t prove anything,” Harry sighed. “Snape’s a git and all, but he wouldn’t do that.”

“Since when do you stand up for Snape?” Ron inquired, folding his arms across his chest and frowning at Harry.

“The point is,” Ginny interjected, “we don’t know who it is. It could be anyone.”

Silence fell over the group, each wondering who could be spying on the Potters.


* * * * *


A little over a week had passed since Ginny’s miscarriage and the burial. She had spent the weekend resting and keeping James close to her, refusing to let him be more than arm’s length from her. She was allowed to miss a few days of classes, but after her time was up, she had to return to her lessons. Ginny had found it difficult to walk in the halls knowing that her name was on the tip of everyone’s tongue. She hated being the center of attention and the latest gossip, but as always, she ignored it and went about as normal as possible.

She had a hard time in class, her mind often wondering from her lessons and she would find herself thinking about her loss. She had burst into tears a few times in class, receiving a mixture of curious and sympathetic looks from her classmates. The pain was still fresh and Ginny knew if would always be there, but she had to get past it somehow.

A sudden flurry of owls swooped into the Great Hall, dropping dozens of packages and letters to the students below. She watched as students opened them up and wore smiles on their faces as some turned about to look at blushing faces. Ginny glanced up to see if any owls remained and found them all leaving the Great Hall. Disappointment filled her and she glanced at Harry, who was sitting next to her. She frowned at him. The Valentine she had given him laid unopened in front of him. She nudged him and he looked up.

“Aren’t you going to open that?” she asked. He hesitantly picked it up and opened it. His eyes scanned the card and he shoved it back in the envelope and continued to eat his breakfast. Ginny sighed and looked back at her plate.

“Thanks,” he muttered a few minutes later and reached into his bag. He shoved something towards her and quickly stood up. She watched him leave the Great Hall and the great oak doors shut behind him.

She looked at the parchment in front of her. In an untidy scrawl he had scribbled “Happy V-Day” on it and Ginny sunk into her seat, feeling very disappointed.

Harry sighed as he trudged up the stairs to the common room. He felt awful about giving Ginny a scrap piece of parchment like that for Valentine’s Day. He wanted to shower her with flowers and chocolates and tell the world he loved her and she was his one and only. But he couldn’t. Not with his plans to keep her and James safe. It was going to be difficult to do this, but he wasn’t about to have his son and wife taken away from him like his unborn son. He’d do anything to keep them safe even if it meant pushing them away and making them hate him.

The day went on and Ginny found herself sitting on the floor of the common room with James in front of her in his playpen. She watched him crawl around in his playpen, making happy baby noises. Her old roommates were sitting around her as they did revision for a test coming up in Muggle Studies. She glanced across the room and saw Harry buried in books and parchment and preparing for his N.E.W.Ts. He had hardly said more than a few sentences to her all day and Ginny wondered if it all had to do with the loss of Bryce. Perhaps that was why he didn’t remember Valentine’s Day. She could hardly blame him; she had almost forgotten herself. Sighing, she went back to her revision.

“Ginny, is everything all right with Harry?” Bridget suddenly asked. Ginny looked up at her and frowned.

“Why do you ask?” she said.

“He’s hardly spent time with you today and it is Valentine’s Day,” she said.

“Didn’t he get you anything?” Claire asked. Ginny shook her head.

“No, not really. I expect he’s still upset about . . . you know. I don’t think he’s had much else on his mind. He’s just been really distant lately,” Ginny explained. Her friends nodded to show they understood. She offered them a small smile and looked over her notes again.

“You’re impossible Ronald Weasley!”

Hermione’s sudden shriek cut through the air.

“And why am I impossible!” Ron yelled back.

Ginny looked around and saw her brother and best friend face to face in the middle of the room. Both of them had angry looks on their faces. Hermione’s eyes were boring into Ron’s, flashing dangerously.

“I can’t believe you forgot about today! It’s Valentine’s Day and you haven’t gotten me anything! I thought you loved me!” She shouted back.

“So in order to show you I love you, I have to give you something?” Ron crossed his arms and glared at her.

“That’s not the point! I can’t believe you forgot!” Hermione said and she looked like she was going to cry.

Ron didn’t say a word. He stared at her; his arms still crossed and regarded her closely. Everyone was looking at them, waiting for one of them to explode and stomp up the stairs.

“Do you remember the first time we met?” Ron suddenly said. Hermione looked taken aback and surprised at his words and it was obvious she wasn’t expecting that.

“What does this have to do with you forgetting Valentine’s Day?” she asked, trying to be angry with him.

“It was on the train and you came looking for Neville’s toad. Remember Hermione?” Ron went on, uncrossing his arms and pacing around her. Hermione didn’t know what to do. She kept her eyes on him, unnerved by his behavior.

“And remember that supposed spell Fred gave me to turn Scabbers yellow? Remember?” he continued and rubbed his chin thoughtfully.

“Ron —”

“Do you remember how it went, Hermione?” he asked, stopping in front of her and glancing at the ceiling as he thought back. “Ah, yes! I remember it now.”

He cleared his throat and looked at her as the rest of the Gryffindors watched them, wondering what Ron was doing. He shoved his hands in his pockets.

“Sunshine daises, butter mellow,” he began and furrowed his eyebrows as if he were trying to remember. He pulled his hands out of his pockets and Ginny saw a small box clutched in his hand. To Ginny’s surprise, she watched her brother drop to one knee and he opened the small box. Hermione gasped as her eyes widened in shock. Everyone’s eyes were on the pair and it was clear that they all knew what was about to happen.

Ron took a deep breath and looked up at his girlfriend.

“Hermione Granger, will you marry this lovesick fellow?”

“Oh Ron!” Hermione cried. “Of course I will you great big prat!”

Ginny had never seen her brother smile so wide. Ron jumped up and slid the ring on her finger. He whooped loudly and hugged her tightly.

The common room broke into cheers and applause. The couple shared a very passionate kiss and smiled widely at each other. Ginny watched Harry get up and offer his congratulations to them. As soon as Harry hugged Hermione, Hermione rushed over to Ginny and sat next to her on the floor. Ginny smiled at her and hugged her.

“We’re going to be sisters!” Hermione exclaimed. Ginny smiled.

“I couldn’t ask for a better sister,” Ginny said. “Now you’ll officially be James’ Aunt Hermione.”

Hermione smiled widely and looked at James. “Looks like he’s getting a bit sleepy.”

Ginny glanced at her son and watched as he yawned and struggled to keep his eyes opened. Ginny sighed and stood up. She scooped James into her arms, and after saying good bye to her friends, she went to get her son ready for bed.

After she bathed and dressed James, she sat in the rocking chair with him in her lap and a book in her hands. She read him a story from the Wally the Wacky Wizard series, a very popular children’s book. (This adventure, Wally loses his wand.) James pointed at pictures and babbled in his baby talk as Ginny read aloud to him. He began to nod off just before Wally found his wand and Ginny carefully closed the book and stood up. She put him in his crib, tucked him in, and kissed him goodnight.

Ginny yawned herself and decided she might as well go to bed too. As she got ready, she thought about Ron and Hermione’s engagement and sighed sadly as her own engagement drifted into her thoughts.

At two in the morning, students should be asleep in their beds, getting rest so they could start the next day refreshed and with new energy. This was not true for four Gryffindors. They were having a serious conversation, and for two of them, the outcome of it would change everything.

Ginny was curled up in an armchair in the common room, watching Harry pace back and forth in front of the fire. He constantly ran a hand through his hair, sighing every so often. They had just decided to keep the baby, but they were at a lost of what to do next.

Ron and Hermione were sitting on a sofa next to her, looking between them both and exchanging glances with one another.

Harry stopped pacing and stood in front of the glowing embers. He placed a hand on the mantle, staring into the fire. He turned around and made his way towards Ginny. He knelt in front of her and took her hands.

“Marry me, Ginny,” he said softly. Ginny stared at him with wide eyes. Marry him? At fifteen years old? She shouldn’t be thinking about getting married now, but then again, she shouldn’t be deciding what color to paint a nursery and making appointments to see a midwife.

“Marry you? Harry, don’t you think we’re a bit young for that,” Ginny said, frowning at him.

“We’re too young to be having a baby, yet we are,” he replied, glancing briefly at her stomach. Ginny looked away from him and bit her bottom lip.

“Ginny, I love you and by getting married we’ll be able to give our baby a better life,” Harry explained. Ginny looked back at him. So that’s why he wanted to marry her. Only because of the baby.

“You want to marry me because I’m having your baby, that’s it isn’t it,” she said. Harry shook his head.

“No, well, it’s part of the reason, but Ginny I love you, you know that. I want to marry you because I love you with all my heart. Please say you’ll be my wife,” he said. Ginny searched his eyes. She knew he loved her, she could see it in his eyes. And he was right. By getting married, they would be able to provide more for their baby and perhaps their lives would be a bit easier.

She glanced at Ron and Hermione. They hadn’t put any input on this matter so far; they were simply there for moral support for them both. She sighed and looked back at Harry. She nodded.

Harry grinned at her and enveloped her in a hug. Ginny buried her head in his chest and couldn’t help but feel happy. She was getting married to Harry. She would be Mrs. Potter and deep down inside, she knew they would be happy.


She sighed as she slipped into bed. Unlike Hermione, she didn’t get a beautiful ring. She didn’t get the chance to show it off to everyone and burst into song that she was engaged. Ginny never got the chance to tell her friends she and Harry were to marry. There wasn’t the thrill of making plans and making all the decisions about the tiniest details, nor was she able to argue with Harry about who would be invited and if their wedding would be big or small. Instead, she kept it silent and a secret and never got a chance to show her happiness.

A few minutes later, the door opened and Harry came in. He closed the door and headed for the table. He sat down, opened a book and began to study. Ginny propped herself up and looked at him.

“It’s great about Ron and Hermione getting married, isn’t it?” she said.

“Yeah,” he replied, his voice low and uninterested.

“They seem happy,” Ginny said. He didn’t reply. He turned the page in his book and continued to read. She sighed.

“When are you coming to bed?” she asked.

“I dunno,” he replied in the same voice.

Ginny sighed wondering how long his brooding mood would last.

“Good night,” she said and settled under the blankets. “I love you.”

“Night.”

Within minutes, Ginny fell asleep.

An hour and a half later, Harry closed his book and got ready for bed. Once he finished getting ready he got into bed and watched Ginny sleep. She looked so beautiful to him. To him, she was perfection and he would never want her to change. He leaned over and placed a feather light kiss on her forehead, taking in her beauty, and he thought of what he was going to do to her.

“Please forgive me,” he whispered and turned away from her. He settled as far away as possible from her and tried to sleep.


* * * * *


A few more days had gone by and Harry was still being distant. He hardly talked to Ginny and paid less attention to James. He would often come to bed long after Ginny was asleep. He buried himself in his work and Ginny found herself taking care of James most of the time. The loss of Bryce was still painful for both of them and Ginny wanted Harry to talk to her about it. But he wasn’t. It was like he had shut him off from the world and to everyone he loved. She was very worried about him and she didn’t know what to do.

Sighing, Ginny continued down the corridor in the direction of the library. She glanced down at James and saw he was content chewing on the ear of his stuffed lion. She was very worried about bringing him into the library. She wasn’t sure if Madam Pince would even allow him in the corridor outside. Not that she had much of a choice about it and she had to get her papers done for Charms and Care of Magical Creatures. She wasn’t able to find any of her friends or Harry, for that matter. They were all off studying somewhere else and Harry, well she was sure he was in his brooding mood somewhere in the castle. She hoped he would get out of this mood of his and let her back into his life.

Ginny stood just outside the doors of the library and hesitated. Taking a deep breath, she pushed the door opened and entered the stuffy silence of the library.

Small clusters of students sparsely littered the tables while others paced up and down aisles of shelves with heavy books in their arms. Madam Pince had stopped stamping books for a second year girl and watched Ginny with beady eyes. Her glare had rested on the carrier and she looked up and gave Ginny a stern look. It was very obvious she did not approve of James being in the library. Ignoring the librarian, Ginny made her way passed the front desk and towards a row of tables.

She decided that it would be better if she found a spot away from other students. She searched the library with her eyes, heading further and further through the throng of tables and towards the back of the library. Finally, she spotted an empty table next to a window and far away from other students.

Ginny set James on top of the table, under the warm rays of sunshine that penetrated through the glass window. She dropped her bag on the floor and sat down. Ginny pulled out fresh sheets of parchment, a quill, and an ink bottle and set them across the table. She pulled out her textbooks and her assignments and arranged them on the table. She looked over at James.

“Now you need to be extra good right now,” she whispered to him. “See, we’re in the library James and you have to be very quiet or else that mean old bat Madam Pince will be upset and throw us out. She’s a real stickler for the rules. You know she threw your dad and I out once for having chocolate in here.”

She smiled wistfully at the memory and sighed. Ginny reached down for her bag and fished a bottle out of her bag. She pulled the lion out of James’ mouth and gave him the bottle. He clasped both hands on it and drank hungrily from it. Ginny smiled at him and set to work.

James had stayed relatively quiet for his mother. He made soft sounds every now and then, causing Ginny to look around and see if anyone was disturbed by it but finding that no one was. He would watch his mother as she worked on her essays like he had so many times before, then going back and chewing on his sleeves, blankets, and toys.

Ginny realized that she would need to get additional resources for her Charms essay and frowned. She glanced at James briefly. Perhaps if she asked someone to keep an eye on him, she could go and collect books she needed. She looked around and saw that no was near her and sighed. She didn’t really trust anyone outside of Gryffindor watching him anyway. Giving in, Ginny stood up and looked down at James.

“Come on angel, let’s go take a little walk,” she said and lifted him out of his carrier. Hoisting him on her hip and holding him with her arm, Ginny set off towards the huge shelves filled with books.

She searched the shelves for the books she needed and frowned when she saw that one of them was on the top shelf. She glanced at James and sat him on the floor.

“Stay,” she commanded sternly and reached up to grab the book. She stretched higher and higher, trying to grab the book she needed. Success was hers when her fingers grasped it and she pulled it down. Glancing down to check on James, Ginny set the book on an empty part of a lower shelf and continued to look for other books she would need. After she located a third book, Ginny decided she had enough for now and glanced down where James was sitting. Her eyes widened in horror to see that her son was gone.

Quickly, she scanned the aisle and saw James crawling towards the main part of the library. Ginny took off after him. She let out a frustrated sigh when she saw him change direction and head for a table.

“James Elijah Potter, get back here this instant young man,” she whispered harshly when she got closer. James stopped and looked back at his mother. He smiled and continued to crawl, obviously thinking it was a game.

“Damn,” she muttered under her breath when she saw her son crawl between the legs of chairs and the table. He sat under the table and looked at her, a soft laugh coming from him. Ginny pulled a chair out and dropped to her hands and knees.

“Come here,” she whispered. James giggled and crawled away from her and out from beneath the table. Ginny went after him, pushing a chair out of her way and bumping her head on the bottom of the table when she emerged. He crawled beneath another table, Ginny chasing after him, twisting among the legs of chairs and tables, laughing all the way.

Finally Ginny grabbed him around his middle and held him firmly in her arms.

“What did I tell you, young man? You are in so much trouble,” Ginny lectured him in a quiet voice. She sighed and hoisted him onto her hip again. She glanced up and saw that Madam Pince was glaring at her and Ginny knew she was on the verge of receiving a lecture and getting kicked out. Quickly, Ginny hurried back to where she left her books, scooped them in her free arm, and returned to her table. She dumped the books on the table and put James back in his carrier.

Ginny glared at her son. He looked back with an angelic face and his green eyes shone with innocence. She fought with herself, trying not to smile and give in. She had to be stern and let him know what he did was bad, but he was only eight months old. He wouldn’t even be able to comprehend that what he did was wrong. Ginny gave in and smiled.

“You’re a little imp, but you’re my little imp and I wouldn’t have it any other way,” she whispered. She leaned over and kissed his forehead. James smiled up at her and she smiled back and set her mind back on her homework again.

Some time later, James had fallen asleep and Ginny needed more books. She was grateful when she saw a Hufflepuff from her Charms class sit at a nearby table and asked her to keep an eye on James. She agreed and Ginny was grateful to be able to get the books she needed without having to worry about chasing her son around the library again.

Just as Ginny was pulling another heavy tome off the shelf, she heard the unmistakably wail of her son. Dropping her books, she took off and made her way back to James.

Her classmate was standing over the carrier, waving her arms frantically about in an attempt to comfort him. She looked up and was relieved to see Ginny.

“I’m so sorry Ginny! He just started to whine and I didn’t know what to do and he started to cry,” she said. Ginny scooped James into her arms and rubbed his back soothingly.

“It’s all right. He was probably scared because he didn’t see me. Shhh! It’s okay James,” she cooed at him as his cries persisted. She gently bounced him in her arms, whispering calming words to him and he slowly calmed down and clung to his mother’s robes.

“Mrs. Potter!” a voice cried. Ginny looked up and saw the very angry face of the librarian.

“I’m so sorry,” Ginny began to apologize, but it was obvious that Madam Pince was not going to have any of that.

“Out of this library now! First you let him crawl around and decide to play a game of tag and now you let him howl his head off. This is a school, not a daycare! I don’t want to see him in this library again unless he is wearing school robes. Out! OUT!” she screeched at Ginny. Ginny held James close to her as she gathered her belongings and shrunk the carrier, with Madam Pince watching her like a hawk. Once she swung her bag over her shoulder, Ginny quickly made her way out of the library and into the corridor.

“I told you she was mean old bat, but do you listen to your mother?” Ginny said to her son as she walked back to Gryffindor Tower. She cuddled him closer to her and kissed the top of his messy head of hair. “I reckon you’re banned until you’re eleven then.”

“Who’s banned?”
Ginny stopped and turned around. She saw Luna Lovegood standing behind her and she smiled at her friend.

“Hey Luna. James has a ten year ban or so from the library. Madam Pince kicked us both out because he was being a baby,” Ginny explained, rolling her eyes.

“Oh, I see. I have to go there and see if I can find anyone more books on Invisible Flying Newts. I can’t remember if they are yellow and red or if there were black and green,” Luna said.

“But if they’re invisible how could you — never mind,” Ginny began but remembered that sometimes Luna just didn’t make much sense.

“Is everything okay with you and Harry?” Luna asked. Ginny sighed and shrugged her shoulders.

“I don’t know. I don’t see him much at all and we share a room! I’m at my wits end with him,” Ginny replied. Luna sighed.

“Oh, well I hope he’s all right. He’s been acting strange for a while,” Luna said.

“I know. You’ve noticed it too?” Ginny inquired.

“Well, he really hasn’t been the same. He’s different somehow,” Luna explained.

“Yeah, ever since we . . . well since we lost the baby, he’s more distant,” Ginny said.

“Well perhaps it’s all this pressure from the N.E.W.Ts. He might be really worried about them,” Luna suggested.

“Maybe,” Ginny sighed, though she was pretty sure that wasn’t all there was to it.

“I better get to the library and get those books. Now I can’t remember how long those Invisible Flying Newts grow to,” Luna said. She said goodbye to Ginny and went in the direction Ginny came from.

Ginny continued her way to Gryffindor Tower. She hoped that Harry was there so he could watch James for a while and she would be able to get her essays done.

She spotted Ron and Hermione sitting together at a table. A door slam caught her attention and she looked up. She was relieved to see her husband in the common room, his broom slung over his shoulder.

“Oh thank goodness you’re here!” Ginny exclaimed and put James in his playpen. “Listen, I need to go back to the library. I really need to get my essays done.”

She slid her bag on a table and looked up at Harry.

“So take him with you,” Harry replied.

“I can’t. Madam Pince kicked me out for having him in there already. I’ll only be gone for a few hours. Besides, you can spend some father-son time with him,” Ginny said, smiling at Harry.

“I’m busy,” Harry replied, trying to move past her. “I’m going flying. You deal with it.”

“Can’t you go later? Harry, I really need you to watch him,” Ginny frowned at him.

“I said deal with it Ginerva.”

Ginny was taken aback. Harry never used her real name. He knew she hated it.

He went on towards the portrait hole. Harry knew that if he spent more time than possible with either one of them, he wouldn’t be able to go through with his plans.

“What is wrong with you?” Ginny’s voice stopped him in his tracks. He turned around and forced himself not to flinch at her furious look.

“Nothing is wrong with me. I just have better things to do than watch him,” Harry said, lying through his teeth.

“Better things to do than watching your son!” she shouted. Harry took a deep breath and prepared himself. It was now or never. If he didn’t do this now, he wouldn’t ever get the nerve to do it. Make her hate him and think he hated her. Make her believe that he didn’t care for his family anymore. It was the last thing he wanted to do, but it was his only choice to protect them. He had to force his family away from him and leave them.

“Yes, better things,” he replied. Ginny stared at him with an unreadable expression. Harry steeled himself.

“Why are you avoiding us?” Ginny demanded with her hands on her hips.

“I’m not avoiding you,” he lied.

“Yes, you are. Ever since we . . . we lost Bryce, you haven’t been yourself,” Ginny said.

“So? People change,” Harry replied.

“Not like this! They don’t suddenly shut those who love them out of their lives!” Ginny shouted. Those who were in the room were now looking at them.

“If you’re quite finished, I want to go flying before curfew,” Harry shrugged her off.

“I want you to tell me what’s going on!” Ginny shouted. Harry threw his broom on the ground and stalked towards the table Ginny was standing by.

“You know what I don’t want? This! I don’t want this anymore! Not you! Not him!” Harry yelled, hands clenching onto the table and leaning over it, glaring at Ginny. “Maybe, this was just a huge mistake.”

Ginny's heart stopped. Did she hear him right? Was he regretting everything? Their marriage and their child was just a huge mistake he regretted? No, he couldn't be. He just couldn't.

Ginny glared right back, determined not to let him see the hurt in her eyes. No one spoke. All eyes were on the feuding couple.

“A mistake? A bit late for changing your mind don’t you think!” she yelled right back. How could he just say that? After all this time . . . why didn’t he just leave her to begin with? If this was such a burden on him, why didn’t he just leave her on the Quidditch pitch when she first told him about James?

Harry focused his anger on her. He didn’t want to do this, but he had to. It was for their own good.

“I think that I definitely don’t want this anymore,” he said in a deadly calm voice. It was unnerving to Ginny.

“Wh - what?” she breathed shakily. No, this couldn’t be happening to her. Not after everything they went through.

“I don’t want anything to do with you or him anymore Ginny. I don’t want a family anymore,” he went on. She had never seen his eyes filled with such hatred. The usual warm green eyes had turned cold.

Ginny felt her heart sink and break into a thousand pieces. Tears threatened her eyes.

“How could you say that? He’s your son Harry,” she choked out the words.

“Not anymore,” Harry’s eyes pierced hers in a hateful way. Ginny didn’t know what to do. What had she done wrong? Closing her eyes, as to not to cry, she backed away from the table, fully aware of all eyes on her. Quickly, she picked up James and ran into their room. Once she put James in his crib, she sank to the floor and cried.

In the common room, everyone was gaping at Harry. He hadn’t moved from his spot by the table. Ron and Hermione were staring at him. Hermione bolted towards the Head Boy’s room to comfort Ginny. Harry closed his eyes. It hurt. It hurt him bad. He didn’t want to do it, but he had to. There was no other choice.

Furious at himself, he picked up his broom and strode out of the common room.

But Harry didn’t go far. He felt someone grab him from behind and the next thing he knew, he was slammed into the wall and staring into the murderous eyes of Ron Weasley.

“What are you playing at, Potter!” he shouted, his fist tightening on the collar of Harry’s shirt.

“Go ahead, hit me Ron. Do your worst. I deserve it,” Harry said, staring at Ron.

“You promised you’d take care of her, not hurt her you bastard!” Ron shouted.

Harry hung his head in defeat.

“I am taking care of her,” he replied softly.

“How!” Ron demanded his anger increasing.

“By leaving them! If they think I don’t care about them, then they won’t be hurt. He won’t go after him,” Harry tried to explain. Ron loosened his grip, but very slightly.

“Who won’t go after them?” Ron asked.

“Voldemort,” Harry replied. He closed his eyes briefly. “If he thinks that they mean nothing to me, that I don’t love them, then he won’t touch them. He already took one child from me. I won’t let him take my whole family.”

Ron was staring at him, confusion flooding his face.

“Go ahead. Give me your worst. Feed me to wild dragons. I don’t deserve to live anymore,” Harry said, awaiting Ron’s punch. Slowly, Ron let him go. Ron sighed and looked at Harry.

“You’re doing this because you love them, because you don’t want them to get hurt,” Ron clarified. Harry nodded.

“I’d rather see Ginny hate me than see her and James dead. They’re my world and if I lose them, I don’t think I could live without them. No, I know I couldn’t live without them,” Harry said, his voice hoarse and the thought of not having his family anymore floated through his mind.

Ron looked down at the ground, stuffing his hands in his pockets. After what seemed like an eternity, he looked back up at Harry.

“I think you’re mental. Ginny was already involved in the whole You-Know-Who thing and I don’t think what you did is going to work. But, it’s your life and you better bloody hope this works Harry.”

With that, he left Harry standing in the empty corridor.

Harry returned several hours later. After he flew around the grounds he decided to take a long walk, not wanting to confront anyone else in the common room. He had seriously thought over what he had done to Ginny. Maybe this wasn’t the right thing to do after all? Perhaps he should go back and beg on his hands and knees for her forgiveness.

He stood in front of the portrait of the fat lady and gave the password. It swung open and he hesitantly climbed through. He was relieved to see that the common room was empty. He made his way across the room and to the Head Boy’s dormitory, not really sure if he wanted Ginny to be asleep or not. But what he found was something worse.

All her belongings were gone. The wardrobe was opened and he could see only his clothes hanging in there. Her trunk was missing and so were the pictures she had set up around the room. There was no swing and no crib, and gone were the toys that littered the ground that morning. Nothing indicated that there was once a happy family that lived in the room before.

Miserably, Harry dragged himself across the room and began to throw his own belongings into his trunk. He couldn’t stay in this room any longer, knowing how much it would remind him of Ginny and James. Once his trunk was packed, he flicked his wand lazily at it and floated it out the door and up the stairs to his old dormitory. Harry let it fall at the foot of his old bed, ignoring the looks his roommates were giving him. He flung himself on his bed, not bothering to change his clothes. He pulled the drapes closed and wondered if he had done the right thing.
Reviews 1042
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear