Search:

SIYE Time:2:02 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


It Happened One Night
By SunDevil05

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Buried Gems
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff, General
Warnings: Death, Sexual Situations, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 1042
Summary: Harry and Ginny make a decision that changes their lives....
Hitcount: Story Total: 253595; Chapter Total: 13855







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


A/N: Once again thanks to everyone's whose reviewed! Please feel free to comment on anything especially if I have my facts wrong. Well onto Chatper Six!

Oh and to answer a question: Draco's comment. he was in the Great Hall when James was crying and saw Ginny run out with him. He's just figuring that James is her son.

DISCLAIMER: see previous chapters



Chapter Six


Harry followed Ron into the common room, careful not to spill the pumpkin juice. Ginny sat at a table doing homework and James lay on his back playing quietly on the floor. They walked over to her. She seemed to not notice them at all. Harry set the plate and goblet in front of her and she looked up.

“Oh,” she looked at the food, “Thanks,” she smiled. Ron knelt on the floor next to James, tickling him. Hermione sat across from Ginny looking at Ginny and Harry still next to her. Ginny slowly ate the food, reading a book.

“Are you okay? “ he asked. She looked up at him, her expression unreadable. Suddenly she burst into tears. Ron and Hermione exchanged looks. Harry helped Ginny to her feet and embraced her.

“Could you two keep an eye on him?” he asked, leading Ginny to the stairs. They nodded and Harry led her to his room. She sat on his bed and he let her cry for a moment. She dried her eyes and pulled her knees up to her on his bed. He sat next to her, waiting.

“How. .” she began, “It’s not fair. It isn’t right.”

Harry was lost but kept quiet.

“He deserves better. Not this. Not us,” Ginny hung her head, staring at her knees. Now he knew what she meant, “He deserves a better life. Not teenage parents. How could we do this to such an innocent child?”

“Ginny,” Harry put an arm around her, “So what if we're teenagers. We love him and care for him. Doesn’t that count?’

“Of course, but, I don’t know,” she sighed, putting her head on his shoulder.

“You’re a wonderful mother, you know that don’t you. James couldn’t have anyone better,” Harry kissed her copper hair.

“Sure,” she laughed, “A mother whom no one will talk to and whisper about in the halls.”

“So there is more,” he sighed.

“I feel so lonely,” Ginny laid back on his bed. Harry rested himself next to her, propping himself an elbow, looking down at her.

“What?”

“I do. I have no friends.”

“That’s not true Gin.”

“Yes it is. My roommates were talking about me in the hall after class. That’s why I ran from you like that,” He stroked her face and traced a line of freckles. Harry knew she was strong, very strong. She should have held her head high in the halls, proud to have James with her, but for some reason she wasn’t. She was protective, too protective to his liking. Something else was bothering her and he knew it had to be last summer’s events.

“You have Ron and Hermione,” Harry continued on. Maybe if he let her keep going she would tell him.

“No you do, I don’t,” she sighed, sadly.

“Ginny.”

“They are your friends Harry. Besides Ron’s my brother.”

“Okay, if you want to say that. Well you have me.”

“I don’t deserve you.”

“Is that so?”

Harry lied down next to her and wrapped his arms around her.

“Yes.”

“Why?”

“You’re too good for me.”

“Not true.”

“Very true.”

“Okay so James doesn’t deserve you and I don’t. Then who does?”

“I don’t know. I don’t think I deserve myself. ”

She rested her head on his chest now.

“Cheery one you are.”

“Don’t tease.”

“I like to tease you.”

She sighed.

“I hate myself,” she said.

“Don’t say that,” he replied.

“I do though. I’m surprised you don’t hate me.”

“That’s because I love you.”

“Why do you love me?”

“Because I do?”

“But why? Tell me why.”

“Because you’re amazing and intelligent and beautiful. A red-headed angel. A breath of fresh air. My golden snitch!”

“Now you’re being silly,” she swatted his arm playfully, giggling and moving back to lie next to him. He tightened his hold on her.

“No, I’m trying to comfort you and get you to stop being so hard on yourself. You don’t give yourself too much credit.”

“Does this conversation even have a point?”

“Probably not.”

“So why are we talking then?”

“Rather I not?”

“No.”

“Alright then,” he kissed her softly on her forehead.

“This is so dumb.”

“Yes it is darling.”

“Oh shut up.”

“I think I won’t. Feel better?”

“Strangely yes.”

“Good, my job as a husband is done.” She laughed. Maybe she didn’t reveal what was truly bothering her, but at least she was laughing and happier now.

“You amaze me. Somehow you make things all better, even through a dumb conversation and you acting like an idiot,” she smiled. She leaned up and kissed him. Harry held her.

“I just want you to stop acting so negative. You can’t be down on yourself like this,” he said.

“I know,” she sighed. Harry leaned over her and kissed her passionately. He felt a very familiar urge lying on top of her like that, his body pressing into hers. Images from the night before of having her in the exact same place came to is mind. He slowly lifted a hand up her skirt, hoping to have a repeat of last night, continuing to kiss her, clutching her waist close to his with his other hand.

“Harry, no,” she warned, breaking a kiss.

“Why not?” he pouted, kissing her neck, pulling her as close as he could.

“Because James is downstairs in the common room,” she sighed, trying to resist the feeling of want. He looked at her.

“Didn’t stop you when he was in the same room,” he smiled. She pushed him off. Harry rolled over on his back and stared at her.

“Ron and Hermione will watch him,” he whined. She sat up and looked at him. His eyes were begging her. Slowly she crawled towards him and swung a leg across him, sitting herself on his stomach.

“Maybe you’re right,” she smiled sweetly and leaned down to kiss him, gliding a hand on his chest, “But,” she sat up, “Not now,” she jumped off and made for the door. Harry sat up and stared at her in disbelief.

“Tease!” he shouted.

“Catch your golden snitch!” she called after him, half laughing, and opened the door. Harry jumped off his bed and slammed the door, turning her around and pushed her against the wall. He kissed her deeply. He broke away and stared at her.

“Caught my snitch,” he smiled and kissed her forehead then proceeded to her neck and that spot just beneath her ear. He felt her shiver and exhale a slow breath. He knew she loved that.

“Later,” she sighed.

“Fine, fine,” he gave in and let her open the door. They descended the stairs with Ginny in a much better mood. They stopped at the bottom of the stairs staring at Ron and Hermione wrapped in each other’s arms. Harry cleared his throat. They broke away, breathing heavily.

“Thanks for keeping an eye on our son,” Ginny teased walking toward them. They blushed. Ginny glanced over at James and frowned.

“I could have sworn. . .” she said taking a step near him. Harry stood next to her.

“What’s wrong?” he asked, studying James.

“I thought I put him on his back,” she scratched her head. Harry looked at his son lying on his stomach on the baby blanket, the mobile dancing above him. He thought back to when he came in.

“He was,” Harry was baffled. He looked at his best friends, “Did one of you two flip him over?”

They shook their heads.

“No,” Ron replied. Ron blushed, “We were a bit occupied to do that.”

“Harry,” Ginny looked at him, placing a hand on his arm and ignoring Ron’s remark, “You don’t think he did it on his own, do you?”

Harry looked at her and shrugged, “I don’t know, he could have.”

“Well he is teething so it is possible that he can flip on his own now,” she looked at James. Harry stared at her.

“He is?” he asked, excitedly. She nodded.

“I noticed today when I was feeding him. One tooth barely coming in the front,” she explained. Harry grinned. Ginny knelt down next to her son and put him on his back again. They watched him, waiting to see what he would do. He gazed up at them smiling and cooing at them. Slowly, he tried to turn on his side. His parents watched him carefully. He inched his way on his side and suddenly rolled himself over onto his stomach, rasing his head slightly off the floor, his tiny arms and legs spread out. Ginny squealed in delight.

“Harry!” she cried out happily.

“That’s my boy!” Harry knelt down on his other side and picked him up. He smiled at his son and kissed the top of his copper head.

“Good job sweetie!” Ginny rubbed his back gently, smiling proudly at him. Ron and Hermione stared at the young family.

“He only rolled over. No big deal,” Ron shrugged.

“Not a big deal to you, but a huge deal to us,” Ginny said, smugly, “My baby is growing up!” she announced proudly.

“Soon enough he’ll be on a broom. I’d give him a few months before that,” Harry, stood up with James in his arms. Ginny looked at him in horror.

“What?” she stood up, glaring at her husband.

“What?” he asked innocently, gently bouncing James in his arms.

“You will not take my son on a broom! He’s too young!” she shouted angrily.

“Only joking,” Harry tried to defend himself.

“Oh sure,” she crossed her arms, “don’t you even think about it Harry James Potter.”

Harry sighed and looked at his son, “Quite a temper your mother has. Best to learn now how not to make her mad.”

“Harry!” her mouth dropped open, horrified. She couldn’t believe him.

“It’s a lesson. He needs to know how to deal with his mummy when she gets mad,” he replied.

“Oh what a nice fatherly lesson,” she snapped, “Wonderful to teach your son.”

“I could teach him other things when he gets older,” Harry grinned mischievously at her.

“Oh in the name of Merlin!” she shouted, her face in a half shocked and half furious expression, “Sure just teach him what you were trying to do to me upstairs will you!”

“I’m only joking Ginny!” he laughed at her expression, “Can’t you take a joke?”

She let out a frustrated sigh and sat in her chair, pulling a book to her face and began reading, ignoring her husband. Ron and Hermione sat down at the table taking out their own books, clearly not wanting to get involved.

“Now James,” Harry sighed, “Lesson number one, never ever say something you will regret. Take what I did for example. I said some things that I found funny and only said them because I thought they would get a good laugh, but I underestimated myself. Instead your mother now thinks I’m a horrible father that will be a terrible influence on you and hates me.”

Ginny made a sound as if she was agreeing with him.

“You really have gone mad, haven’t you?” Ron raised an eyebrow at him. Harry shrugged. Ginny made another sound of agreement, “I agree with you Ron,” she stated to her brother.

“When you make a mistake like this,” Harry went on ignoring her, “you have to apologize in the right way,” Harry said. James was looking at him, sucking on his pacifier.

“So now,” Harry continued, “I’m going to apologize to Mummy. Watch closely,” Harry walked over to her and sat next to her. He took the pacifier out of James’s mouth and turned him around to face Ginny. Harry raised him up to the height of his head.

“Mummy, please don’t be mad at Daddy,” Harry said in a baby voice.

“Better notify the loony bin,” Ron muttered. Hermione giggled. Ginny turned to stare at Harry. How he could use her son to apologize was beyond her.

“Daddy is really sorry for being a git and wants you to talk to him again,” Harry went on. Ginny raised an eyebrow.

“Harry, using my baby to apologize is not going to work,” he could hear a trace of amusement in her voice. Harry set James in his lap. Ginny looked back at her book.

“You know I was only joking with you. I’m not going to take him out on a broom before he can walk and I wouldn’t teach him those things I implied,” Harry said, “I’m sorry Gin for being a complete and utter prat.”

She smiled and looked at him, “You’re forgiven,” she said and kissed his cheek. James made a noise. Ginny’s eyes went wide and she smiled at James, making a face at him, and took him from Harry.

“Now that Daddy is done being dumb for the day or so I hope,” she teased. Harry glared, “It’s time for you to go back in your carrier.”

“Why?” Hermione asked. Ginny looked at her and sighed.

“Dinner’s nearly over and everyone will be coming up here,” she said, cradling James.

Harry bent over and picked up the carrier and set it on the table and Ginny put him in.

“Hand me that teething ring will you,” Ginny gestured to the floor. Harry picked it up and gave it to her and proceeded to pick up the rest of his toys and stop the mobile. He put the toys in her bag and gave her a blanket to cover him again. James was chewing on the teething ring looking back and forth at them.

“Be a good boy now,” Harry said to him and Ginny draped the blanket once again over the carrier, hiding their son.

“What should we do when everyone comes up then?” Harry asked, reaching for his school bag.

“Nothing,” Ginny said and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, “Well just wait for them to say something and be casual about it.”

Harry nodded. The four of them began to work on homework quietly. Someone would bring up a light conversation once in a while, but they remained focused on their studies. Both Ginny and Harry kept glancing at the carrier and peeking inside. Minutes passed before the portrait door swung open and a wave of noise announced the arrival of their fellow Gryffindors. Voices suddenly stopped and others reduced to mummers. No one went over the table. They all confined themselves on the other side of the room as if their was an invisible shield around Ron, Harry, Hermione, and Ginny. Ginny could feel everyone staring again and felt very uncomfortable. She glanced at the carrier, a sudden urge to protect James, last summer racing through her mind. A hand slipped in hers. She looked to see Harry squeezing her hand reassuringly. There was a hushed conversation from the others in the room and someone tripping over their feet as if they were just pushed. Someone cleared their voice. They four of them looked up and saw Dean standing next to Ron.

“Sorry to bother you Ron,” Dean said, “but we were all wondering something.”

The four of them exchanged looks.

“Yes?” Ron said.

“Well we want to know why you have your baby brother with you,” Dean said. The other students held their breath, waiting.

“Ron doesn’t have a baby brother,” Ginny replied. They had to know the truth. It was no use in hiding anything anymore. Harry looked at her, surprised. Dean looked at her and frowned.

“Yes he does. You both told us on the train,” Dean said.

“They don’t have a baby brother,” Harry said, reaffirming her statement. Ginny looked at him. He too, was tired of hiding. Why should they be ashamed of James?

“Of course they do. That kid had red hair,” Dean argued.

“So did my mother,” Harry crossed his arms. Dean looked very confused.

“What does your mother have anything to do with this? And why are you taking care of Ron’s kid brother?” Dean asked. Ginny looked over at Harry. They both knew they couldn’t hide it any longer. The truth had to be told.

“Because,” Harry began looking at the carrier and then at Ginny, “he’s our son,” Harry looked over at Dean who wore a very shocked look. Dean shot a quick look at Ginny.

“Did you just say that he’s your son?” Lavender squeaked. Harry nodded, “But that’s impossible!”

“Not really,” Ginny sighed.

“What do you mean not really? What’s going on?” Claire asked. Harry and Ginny exchanged looks. They launched into the whole story of how Ginny had become pregnant, and how they got married, and the truth to why Ginny wasn’t there last term. When they finished, no one uttered a sound. Many of there house mates were speechless and some even looked sorry for them.

“So let me get this straight,” Seamus said, “you two are married and have a son.”

They nodded.

“I feel really sorry for you two,” Parvati said.

“No,” Ginny replied. Everyone looked at her, “Don’t be sorry for us. We’re not sorry, so there’s no point in any of you feeling sorry for us.”

Silence.

“Ginny?” Bridget said softly, walking up to her. Ginny looked at her, “Why didn’t you tell us?”

Ginny was afraid someone would ask this and was hesitant to reply. She sighed, “I was afraid of what you all would think. I didn’t want to be treated different. I was still Ginny Weasley, just pregnant. I didn’t know how anyone else would react and besides I didn’t know what we were going to do. We didn’t decided until late November.”

“I wish you would have said something,” Melanie said.

“What?” Ginny looked at her confused.

“We would have helped you Ginny,” Bridget said. Her roommates smiled at her. Ginny smiled back at them and looked away. More silence. Harry was beginning to hate the awkward silence in the common room.

“So um,” a fourth year girl spoke, “What’s his name?”

Harry smiled, “James Elijah,” he said.

“Can we see him?” a third year girl asked.

“Oh well,” Ginny wasn’t sure of that idea. She looked over at Harry.

“Ginny it’s okay for them to look at him,” Harry sighed knowing full well of what she was thinking.

“I know, but,” she said, “I just don’t like it.”

“Yes I know that,” Harry replied. She glared at him.

“Look why don’t we put him on the floor over by the armchairs so he can play?” Harry suggested, reaching for a blanket, “We'll sit near him. Okay?”

“I suppose,” Ginny watched him. Harry stood up and waited for her to get up out of her chair. Slowly, Ginny rose and turned the carrier away from everyone. She lifted up the blanket and looked at James. She smiled at him.

“Hi sweetheart,” she whispered, tickling his stomach. He looked at her, chewing on his teething ring. She gently pulled it away from his mouth. She glanced up. Everyone was watching her closely. Ginny looked back at her son, “Ready to meet some of Mummy and Daddy’s friends?” she asked, slowly lifting him out of it. She began to walk towards the awaiting students.

“This is James,” she said softly. Everyone rushed towards her.

“Aww!”

“He’s so cute!”

“How adorable!”

“He’s so small!”

“Oh he’s such a beautiful baby!”

“Can I hold him?”

Faces pushed in front of another to look at him, hands reaching out to touch him. Ginny held onto him tight as if someone was trying to pry him away from her. She definitely did not like this. James had a frightened look on his face and began to cry loudly, clinging onto Ginny. Harry pushed through the crowd at the sound of his son’s terrified cry.

“What’s wrong?” he asked Ginny, looking at James.

“He’s frightened from everyone,” she replied, “Shh. It’s okay James, it’s okay. See Daddy’s here,” she tried to soothe him, shifting him to see Harry’s face. Mutters of apology swept the crowd of students.

“It’s okay,” she smiled at everyone as James’s cries began to soften, “He’s just not use to so many people giving him attention like that. He’s really only use to family being around,” Ginny looked down at him. He was still whining, holding on to her, his head rested on her chest, looking up at Harry.

“All better,” Ginny kissed the top of his head and attempted to walk over to the blanket Harry placed on the floor. Gently she set him down on his back and sat on the floor next to him. Everyone cautiously gathered around, clearly afraid of making him scared again. Harry sat in an armchair, watching James. They watched him lift his shoulders, struggling to turn over on his side. He succeeded in rolling onto his stomach and Harry and Ginny lightly applauded him. He tried to lift up his head, cooing at them and Ginny could see him smile.

“Good boy James,” she rubbed his back and turned him back over so he could do it again. Everyone was watching them.

“How old is he?” a first year boy asked.

“Nearly five months,” Ginny replied.

“Did it hurt?” a fifth year girl asked. Ginny frowned not understanding her.

“I think she means having it,” the girl’s friend clarified.

“It was the most painful experience I’ve ever had,” Ginny remembered. She noticed all the girls wincing, “I was in labor for ten hours. Plus all the morning I was having contractions.”

“That long?” Lavender’s eyes went wide. Ginny noticed the crowd had closed in on them slightly.

“Yes that long,” Ginny replied and looked at James who had rolled over again, “but it’s definitely worth it.”

Harry got on the floor and flipped James on his back again. It seemed to be a bit more comfortable in the room now. This is what he and Ginny needed. Everyone to ask them questions and them to answer.

“So Harry,” Colin asked, “How did you deal with it?”

Harry sighed and looked at Ginny, “It was very difficult,” he said, “It was hard not be able to be with her through the whole thing. I kept wishing that somehow I could leave and be with her. I was really happy I was there when he was born. Don’t know what I would have done if I couldn’t see that.”

“Do you like being a dad?” a second year girl asked. Harry nodded.

“It’s amazing. Can’t begin to explain it, but it’s wonderful,” Harry smiled at James.

“What about you Ginny?” Melanie asked, “Like being a mummy now?”

Ginny giggled, “I love it. James is incredible. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.”

“Any regrets?” Parvati asked. Harry and Ginny looked at each other. Harry shook his head.

“None. I mean I wish we weren’t teenagers and still in school, but if I had the chance to go back and change it I wouldn’t,” Harry said. Ginny was feeling more comfortable now.

“Hey Ron!” Dean called. Ron and Hermione had emerged from the back of the crowd.

“What?” Ron replied.

“Were you going to kill Harry when you found out?” Dean asked.

“Well I was at first. I mean how could he do that to my baby sister,” Ron appeared in the front of the crowd, “But then I realized that he loved her and I knew he was going to do anything he could. He’s a good dad.”

Harry smiled at him, “Thanks Ron.”

“Anytime mate,” Ron replied, taking the armchair Harry had been in, “Oh,” he suddenly stood up. They noticed he had James’s blue bunny in his hand.

“Here you go James,” Ron knelt down and gave the animal to James. James stared up at him smiling and reaching a hand out to him. Ginny smiled.

“Yes sweetie, that’s Uncle Ron,” she said. Ron grinned and tickled James.

“Like being an uncle, Ron?” Seamus asked.

“Sure do. I get to spoil the kid then horde him off to his parents,” Ron nodded. Ginny glared.

“You spoil him anymore than you have already I swear your never going to hear the end of it,” Ginny warned.

“Calm down, I won’t,” Ron took his place in the armchair again. The questions soon stopped and everyone went about their business. Ginny was feeling much better. Everyone in her house had not shunned her and thought ill of her and Harry. Though she still had that feeling of having to protect him from everyone. She shook that feeling quickly. Maybe it would turn out to be good.
Reviews 1042
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear