Search:

SIYE Time:4:51 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


5 Nights of Promises
By Isabelle

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Drama
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 95
Summary: COMPLETED! WARNING: ANGST AHEAD! If he promises her tomorrow, he'll also have to promise her forever and forever is not his to give. Set post-HBP. A series of short stories of 5 nights after Harry's 6th year.
Hitcount: Story Total: 23343; Chapter Total: 4836







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Irony of the Gods
by Isabelle



Summary: Companion piece to "Pledge to an Earring" - six months after that encounter Harry returns once more to find Ginny... loved by another.

Rating: PG

Spoilers: POST- HALF-BLOOD PRINCE!!

A/N: I like series of short pieces - it's written without the compromise that comes with a series and without the pressure to impress with a ficlet.

------------------------------- --------------------

The irony of the gods
Are found in the mouths of fools
Who leave the night in search
Of loves that neither last nor consume. -- Isabelle

Somehow the cold made his soul feel emptier. It was dark, damp and so frigid that he thought he might die of a collapsed lung before Voldemort got through to him.

"I'll be back tomorrow," he told his companion.

"Be careful, Harry... it's more dangerous than ever."

"I know... I just..." he took a deep breath and looked out to the house he loved. "... I need to know if it's true."

Tonks shifted her feet next to him and kicked at a pebble. "It'll do you no good to see 'er, Harry. Charlie confirmed it."

A nasty flame of jealousy coursed through him once more. He pulled his robes closer to block the freezing wind but it would do nothing for the cold settling inside of him.

"Don't wait for me, Tonks... I'll find you."

"I know you will.... just go easy on her. Sometimes we girls are just silly, you know?" He had a sinking suspicion that she didn't necessarily mean Ginny.

He swallowed and nodded. "Right."

Resolutely he walked the few feet before reaching the front door. The lights were lit and there was music, laughing and dancing inside.

Curiosity got the best of him and he watched in wonderment as Mr. & Mrs. Weasley danced to a lively tune along with Bill & Fleur, and Ron & Hermione. The twins, talking at either side of Luna (whose father was currently missing), were trying to cheer her up. He couldn't see Ginny anywhere despite how long he stretched his neck.

Suddenly, from the back door of the Burrow, came Ginny and...none other than Oliver Wood. Harry's insides mashed and re-formed all at once. He hid in the shadows quickly - something he'd learned long ago.

Oliver laughed. "And the next thing I know - I'm lying on a hospital bed completely unconscious!"

Ginny roared with laughter, leaning into him. "I think that happened to Bill once - when he was at school."

Oliver stopped for a second and stared down at her. He seemed transfixed with the beauty it had taken Harry five years to notice. "You're amazing, Ginny. Ever since I saw you at the twins' shop I knew you were different."

Ginny stopped smiling and turned from him.

Harry wondered how much he would make himself watch. How long before he would run out and throttle Wood?

"Oliver... you're... t-this is surreal. I mean, you were Quidditch Captain when I was just 11... every girl in the House idolized you... and here you are, telling me I'm amazing." Her eyes were shinning - a shine that hurt Harry more than he could describe.

It was true; all the rumors and all the talk about his Ginny dating Oliver Wood - national Quidditch player were true. Nice normal Wood. Able to keep Ginny out of harms way and be with her more than just twice a year.

"... but you love Harry."

The words floated into Harry's misty mind. His ears alerted. To his horror, now Ginny was wrapped in Oliver's arms, her cheek resting on his shoulder - tears running down her pale face.

"Is it possible to be so horridly upset with someone you love so very much?" she whispered.

Oliver sighed and let her go. "Listen, I might not know Harry as much as you do... or as much as Ron or Hermione... but I do know that you love him; that you're giving him your entire soul... and if he loves you half as much as I do... he couldn't stand to see the love of a woman like yourself just wither and die."

Harry's chest thumped. He still hated the git but he was rather proud to call him a friend.

"Thank you... I-I... thank you," Ginny was smiling up at him. "I'll be right in…just give me a moment, yeah?"

Oliver reached out and kissed her on the cheek, then the top of her head. "Come in when you're ready."

Then he went inside leaving her alone with the shadow that watched her.

Harry regarded her for a moment. He then observed in horror as she sat herself down on the steps of her house and let out a strangled sob, which echoed sharply against the joy inside of the house.

Harry couldn't take it.

"I love you twice as much as he does," he said quickly.

She jumped and looked wildly at him.

"Harry?" she whispered, hoarsely.

"He's not that bad... Wood, that is."

Ginny stood up, on shaky legs and looked at him in wonder. "You've been gone for six months... we got reports... reports that Voldemort had caught you."

Harry looked down, ashamed and kicked at the snow with his shoe. "I know... I started those 'reports'."

Ginny nodded, looking like she might pull out his lungs through his mouth. "You started them.... and didn't bother to inform us that they were false."

"I had to make it so... Bellatrix never believed we were done and had plans to attack you. I did it to save you-"

Ginny had slapped him. So hard that it nearly knocked him to his back.

"Wha-"

She slapped him again. "I hate you." She hissed.

With that she stormed up the steps. He listened as the party stopped - her steps were heard thundering up until the door to her room slammed. Harry could hear Hermione knocking on her door but what affected Harry the most was the sobs coming from her window.

He turned to start walking away... then he stopped.

There she was - up in her dark room crying her heart out... he'd finally done it; he'd broken someone's heart. Broken a heart he desperately loved.

With shaking hands he reached into his robes for that security he'd always had. He clutched the earring tightly in his palm and whispered her name to it.

The same scene had played over and over. He knew this scene by memory. This moment in his life kept him breathing and walking.

"Don't you just wish we could stay like this?" Ginny asked him - her eyes slightly glazed as she watched the Giant Squid playing with the water.

Harry looked down at her smiling face. "Yeah... I wish this right here were my life."

She turned to him. "Things won’t always be like this, Harry."

"I know... but someday it will be." He leaned in to kiss her.

"Promise?" Ginny asked slyly as she rubbed his lower abdomen.

"Yeah... I'll remind you in case you ever forget."


He could still hear the ringing of her laughter in his ears. In the middle of the cold deserted night, in the middle of her sobs.

Well…he had made a promise.

With a flick of his wand he apparated into her room. It sent her screaming and falling on her back.

"Sorry!"

"Harry!" her wand was now pointed directly at his chest.

"Just hear me out, yeah?" he was holding his hands up in surrender as she glared him down - regardless to her puffy red eyes and wet cheeks.

"I made you a promise, Ginny... I made you a promise that after all this was done we would live our life by a lake... remember?"

She blinked at him.

"Well we didn't exactly promise with that much detail, but I've had a lot of time on my own and I've decided it should be by a lake with loads of animals you'd call 'sweet' and a large Quidditch field were you could steal the Snitch from right under my nose... for the rest of our lives. This sounded very good in my head."

He was annoyed to find himself breathing hard and being quite sentimental.

"I.... I love you, Ginny." he looked down at his snow-showered shoes. "You are what makes me strong... you don't take any of my moods, you put me in my place, you look at me in a way I never even imagined and when I think of happiness I think of the times I spent with you."

She had put down her wand by now. She was looking at him as if she'd seen him in a whole new light.

"It's ironic, Harry."

"Ironic?"

She looked around at her room, it was full of her things.

"In this same room I fell in love with you, in this same room I told you I loved you and finally in this same room I hear you say it back."

Harry's mouth slowly turned into a smile.

"Maybe a lot more will happen in this room."

She snorted. "Don't count your luck, Potter-"

But he cut her off, grabbing her by the waist and kissing her.

Their first kiss has been the beginning of something - this kiss was the promise of much more.

When he left her again that night, only a few hours before he arrived, there was a smile on her face. Once more he knew he had nothing to explain to her. She knew what he had to say with just a look from his eyes.

He wondered if this was how his father felt when he looked at his mother. Then he smiled at the irony of it all. The Potters must have a thing for red.

She watched him until he disappeared behind some snow-covered trees and when he found Tonks a few hours later she could tell by the brightness coming off of his face that all had worked out just right.

"I think it's high time someone told you about the birds and the bees since they seem to be in season." She told him amicably.

-----------------------------

Part 3 coming


a/n: JKR's recent interview have already made parts of this story (chapters yet to be posted) a bit AU - I'm not re-writting it; just take the story as it is :)
Reviews 95
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear