Search:

SIYE Time:18:16 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Long Night
By Muus

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Fluff, Humor
Warnings: Sexual Situations, Extreme Language
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 13
Summary: It had been a year since Harry finished school and now it was his duty to help out the Obliviators. Imagine his surprise when he heard about the Bat-Bogey Hex being used on a muggle. Inspired by the SIYE Summer Challenge, but Post-HBP and therefore not an entry.
Hitcount: Story Total: 5393







ChapterPrinter



Disclaimer: Nothing belongs to me therefore sueing me would not bring you any money as I am not making any.

A/N: This story was inspired by the SIYE Summer Challenge: Ginny in prison and is my first try at fanfiction, so don't be nice in your reviews, be honest.


A Long Night

Harry Potter was once again working late. By now he was used to working overtime, but this time it was worse than ever. Normally he had to work late because of dangerous creatures running loose, remaining Death Eaters being sighted or foreign murderers hiding in Britain. But this it was worse. This time he had to work because others were having a summer party.

The Obliviators had decided to throw a late night summer party and therefore someone else had to do their job. Of course they were on stand by should something major happen, but that was highly unlikely and Harry doubted anyway that even one of them would be able to pronounce the obliviation spell correctly if called away from the party. Obliviators were after all famous for drinking so much that they couldn’t remember most of the evening when they woke up again the next morning.

Because Harry was the youngest and newest addition to the Auror Division his superior, who happened to be Dawlish, a guy that seemed to have gained most of his information about Harry through Umbridge and Snape from the way he treated him, had decided that it should be Harry’s duty to keep the night watch for the Obliviators this time. He had said Harry would be able to learn a lot there although everyone knew that the hardest part in most night shifts nowadays was to keep their eyes open.

So Harry could do nothing but resign to his fate. He had been accepted as a full Auror after only one year of training because of all the stuff he already knew from his last year at Hogwarts and no doubt because various nick names of his given to him by the press. But he wasn’t one to complain about special treatment in this case. Training was all well important but it was none the less mostly dull. Duelling training which was about the only thing that had a bit of action in it became quite boring after a while when you were able to beat most of you trainings mates without a problem. So now that he had just survived his 19th year he found himself a full Auror, even if he was at the bottom command structure.

Harry was startled out of his musings by the blinking and rattling of one of the devices he was supposed to watch. He checked his watch only to see that it was 3 am and to wonder who the hell would still cause trouble at this time. After all it was common knowledge that members of the Magical Law Enforcement who were forced to go out and catch a criminal at this time of the night were not in a good mood and therefore not using nice spells.

Harry checked one of the other devices — a map that showed the places where magic got used recently — and saw that about three miles away from the Leaky Cauldron someone had used the Bat-Bogey Hex. At the thought of this hex he at once felt a sharp pain in his heart. It was Ginny’s favourite spell. Harry hadn’t had much contact to Ginny in the last year, which of course was no surprise seeing as she still had had to finish her last year at Hogwarts while Harry had been occupied with his Auror training. But even before that their friendship had never been the same after their break up at the end of Harry’s sixth year. Sure they were still friendly with one another, but there was always a certain tension whenever they were alone and at least for Harry this came from the urge to grab her and snog her senseless.

The time while he had been dating her had been the happiest time in his life. Despite the war that was fought around them Harry had been happier than ever and he knew that with his choice to break up with Ginny for her safety he had foregone the chance to be with her in the future. Not that his leaving her had kept her save. No, Ginny was not a person to be kept save. She had been the one to decide her fate and her being there during the final battle with Voldemort had saved Harry’s life while she had lain over a month in coma before finally waking up.

But Harry had no time for all of this now. He had to make sure that the muggles, who saw the magic were obliviated and then he’d have to catch the person who cast the spell. He stood up and put on his coat and made for the lift so he could get to the Atrium and apparate to the place where the hex was used from there.

---

Harry looked at the building where the spell had been cast in. It was a pub named ‘Marvellous Mary’ and sold apparently especially good Bloody Marys if the sign on the window was to be believed. What could be good about that drink was beyond Harry since the only time he tried it even Ron was appalled by its taste and he normally shunned nothing to do with food or drinking.

When Harry entered the pub he came into a scene of complete chaos. The Barman tried to repel the winged bogeys, which were flying around a middle aged man with short brown hair, with a broom, while a police officer was doing his best to keep the crowd from leaving the pub or panicking.

Because Harry couldn’t see anyone waving a wand or recognized one of the people in the shop, he went for an old man sitting in a booth a bit of from all the action.

“Excuse me, sir. Could you tell me what happened here?”

The man seemed to be more than slightly drunk. He eyed Harry for a short while with unfocused eyes seemingly deciding whether he wanted to tell him what happened or not. His decision must have been positive for he answered Harry.

“Aye, lad. I was jus’ sittin’ here havin’ a drink when that lovly woman who sat over there” here he pointed towards the general direction of the man fighting with the Bat-Bogeys, ”started shoutin’ at the man b’side her. Reckon he tried t’ feel her up from wha’ she said. Cussed like a sailor tha’ one.” He went on reciting some of the things the woman had said and even if Harry might have enjoyed this some other time he had a job to do and that was find out what happened before obliviating the muggles that witnessed the display of magic.

“Sir,” Harry interrupted the old man, “what happened after the woman had stopped cursing?”

“Well, y’ see what happened, don’t you. Those things started flyin’ ‘round and the lass started laughin’. A lil’ bit too much t’ drink for her if y’ ask me. Anyway, those two policemen that had been talkin’ to ol’ Charles arrested her. One of ‘em brought her to the police post bit further up the street. Was still laughin’ tha’ one. Beauty she was, but a nutter if you ask me.”

The old man shook his head and left Harry with the one question that he had dreaded asking ever since he read that the Bat-Bogey Hex had been used.

“What did she look like?”

“Well, I said she was a beauty, didn’ I. Long red hair, slim figure …” He continued speaking but Harry didn’t listen anymore. She had had long red hair. By now he was sure that it must have been Ginny. The only young witch with long red hair, an uncanny talent for swearwords and a liking of the Bat-Bogey Hex he knew of was Ginny. Unconsciously he made his way towards the exit, doing the counter curse on the way. When he reached the door every person in the room was staring at him which made it easier to do a round of obliviation for none of them was moving.

Harry made his way to the police station with mixed feelings. He certainly was looking forward to seeing Ginny again, but he was sure that it would be awkward. He had not seen her for almost a year now and rescuing her out of a muggle prison as a part of his job as an Auror might not make the reunion easier.

It didn’t take long for Harry to reach the police station. It was located between a grocery store and a small theatre. When Harry entered he saw two policemen, one short and rather fat with black hair and small eyes and the other one tall and this with nearly no hair on his head but a big black moustache, looking at what must have been Ginny’s wand. They hadn’t noticed Harry entering the building so he had to cough in an attempt to gain their attention.

“Yes? How can we help you, young man?” It was the small officer speaking kindly. The taller one on the other hand didn’t really look all that welcoming. He glowered at Harry most likely irritated at Harry for interrupting their wand watching. Harry supposed that they either had learned the good-cop-bad-cop scam by heart or just were a perfect pair of cops.

“I heard that you arrested a red haired woman for causing trouble in a pub. I am from Scotland Yard,” At this he showed them the Scotland Yard identity card that every Auror had for dealing with muggles. ”and we have been looking for her for some time now.”

“Are you now? Well I have looked into the wanted folder and there is no description of this girl there.” It was the tall policeman now speaking. And as Harry had suspected he wasn’t in as good a mood as his partner.

But Harry didn’t have time for a low ranking police officer wanting to show a man from the special police who was the boss in this station. He drew his wand and with two waves of it the policemen had forgotten all about the red haired girl currently in their small prison.

Harry pocketed Ginny’s wand and made his way towards the room which he supposed the cell for women was in and sure enough once he turned the corner he saw a small woman with a lot of red hair lying on a cot in a small cell which consisted only of said cot and a toilette.

With a quick spell Harry opened the grille and stepped to Ginny’s side. He looked down at her and was mesmerized by her beauty. She was wearing a rather short black skirt with a top of the same colour that clung to her figure, high black shoes and looked as though she had been to more pleasant places before she went into the pub. Her hair was tangled, her make-up a bit smudgy and her cloths wrinkled, but that didn’t let Harry waver from his opinion that she was more beautiful than ever before. He could even smell her unique odour through the smell of alcohol.

He just stared at her for what seemed like many hours for him although it could have been just a few seconds before he shook his head trying to clear it. He had to get her out of here before the two policemen gained their wits back It did not take long for him to encounter the next problem. He wasn’t able to wake Ginny up. At first he tried it by calling her name gently which had no effect at all and even when he tried to shake her awake the only reaction he got was a slight murmur and Ginny curling up.

Resigning to his fate he made up his mind that he’d have to apparate her out. But where to bring her? He couldn’t bring her to the ministry that much Harry was sure of. She would get into serious trouble and he wouldn’t want her to go into Azkaban if he had the chance to spare her that experience. So where else? The Burrow would most likely save her from a visit to Azkaban, but she’d have to face the wrath of Molly Weasley instead and Harry wasn’t so sure whether staying out of Azkaban was worth risking Mrs Weasley’s wrath. So no, not the Burrow. Ron and Hermione would have been an option if thy hadn’t been to Egypt together, Hermione because of all the ancient places and Ron for the good weather. The twins were an option too. They would probably tease Ginny for a few weeks after, but at least they would never tell their mother. But those two were in Las Vegas brain storming for new ideas for their joke shop as they put it. Bill and Fleur were in France visiting Fleur’s family, Charlie still with his dragons and Percy still no option.

Harry remembered Ron telling him that Ginny had her own flat somewhere in London, but Harry didn’t know where exactly. That left him with only one option: He had to bring Ginny to his own place.

So without further ado Harry bent down and picked Ginny up. He had to hold her close so that she wouldn’t splinch during the Apparition and then concentrated on his small house in the country side south of York.

---

Harry arrived still holding all of Ginny in his arms in his living room. He knew that he could just let Ginny sleep of her booze, but he wanted to make sure she was alright and that she wouldn’t feel too bad come tomorrow morning. So he went to the kitchen in search for a Sobering Solution.

He should have known that it would be a futile search. He had never brewed a Sobering Solution himself and the chance that Hermione had kept a bit of it after making it for Ron and him the last time they had gotten too drunk to stand on their own had been a very slim one. So he decided to try the only potion he had at home. A Pepperup Potion should at least wake Ginny up after all.

Harry went back into the living room to find Ginny now curled up on the couch. He sat down beside her and held up her head a bit so that he could pour the potion into her mouth. It didn’t need long to take effect. Ginny sat up so abruptly that Harry was thrown off the couch by her movement and landed on the floor. The next thing he noticed was Ginny laughing hysterically.

“Oh Harry, I’m,” here she had to pause for another round of laughter and then she drew a shaky breath and continued, “sorry.” She swayed a bit and fell of the couch only to continue her hysterical laughter.

Harry wasn’t quite sure what to do with her. He hadn’t really expected her to be completely sober when waking up, but he hadn’t thought she’d have a laughing flash. So he did the only thing he could think of at that moment, he joined in in her laughter. It must have lasted a minute or two that Harry laughed off the ridiculousness of the situation, but when he did he found that Ginny for her part didn’t seem to be likely to stop anytime soon. So after a few more moments watching her laugh, Harry decided to try and get her to act normal again.

“Err Ginny, calm down will you.” She looked up at him and launched into another round of laughter. Resigning to the fact that doing nothing to set her off might in the end make her stop laughing he heaved himself up on the couch again and sat quietly waiting for Ginny to calm down.

After a while Ginny calmed down and looked up at him again. Her eyes seemed to be a bit unfocused and when she looked at him she started giggling. Before Harry could comprehend what all the giggling was about she had jumped onto his lap and was kissing him fiercely. He had only just started to realize what was happening when Ginny withdrew again and fell backwards onto the couch in a new bout of giggling.

Harry sat there on his red plush couch in his living room completely dumb struck. She had kissed him, something he had been looking for for two years. But even though he must have imagined over a hundred ways this kiss might happen, this scenario definitely never crossed his mind. Harry wasn’t even quite sure if it was a good or a bad thing that she kissed him now.

“I have wanted to do that again for some time now.” It was Ginny’s breathless and slightly slurring voice that got Harry out of his stupor. He looked at her and saw her silently giggling again. He just stared at her. Had she really said what he thought she had? Had she too wanted to kiss him ever since they broke up two years ago? Had she too still feelings for him even though he broke her heart back then?

“I haven’t seen you for so long, Harry. I mean, I know why you weren’t around much in my sixth year, fighting You-Know-Who and all that. And then I was unconscious for most of the summer, so I didn’t see you then either. Oh, and of course you weren’t at Hogwarts in my seventh year. But still, you know. And of course you were a right arse braking up with me, so I’m not sure whether it was good to not see you or bad. But it wasn’t pleasant somehow and well … you know, right?” said Ginny in a way that reminded him a lot of the non-stop-talking young girl Ron had once told him about.

Harry wasn’t quite sure whether he knew or not. In his perplexed state he didn’t think he had even taken in half of what she had said and he was sure that the other half hadn’t made much sense at all. But still he nodded when she continued looking at him for confirmation. He was just happy to have her talking to him again and didn’t want her to stop now.

And talk she did the next hour. She was talking non stop, not really keeping a topic for long and Harry got the impression that you shouldn’t give a drunken person any Pepperup Potion if you wanted to get any sleep in the next hours. Not that he wanted to sleep. But he thought he’d consider telling the twins about this effect, or better yet, just try it on them the next time they got drunk.

Ginny continued talking for what Harry saw after looking at his watch, must have been at least an hour, but to Harry it felt a lot shorter. She talked about everything and nothing and quite honestly didn’t make sense in some of her topic changes. She told him about her last year at Hogwarts and how the whole atmosphere had been a lot better than the previous years after Voldemort’s defeat. She talked about her second year as Quidditch Captain, a post she had inherited from Harry after he decided that there was no time to play in his last year. She told him about her NEWTs and somehow switched to talking about Christmas, then Quidditch again and finally found her way back to the exams.

And every now and then she had mentioned small parts about what she had done that evening. From what Harry could gather, she had gone out with a few friends and at least one of them was a muggle girl called Kath, who apparently was a childhood friend from one of the girls Ginny shared a dorm with. That had been the reason for them to go out into a muggle club and from what Ginny had told him she had liked it overall although she did not agree with the muggles’ taste in music. And sometime later she said something about them going out to celebrate, but what exactly they’d celebrated was unknown to Harry. But what he did know was with what they celebrated. Ginny seemed delighted about the way Tequila was drunk and even demonstrated it, though without the salt, the Tequila and the lemon, but none the less had her licking the imaginary salt of her hand Harry’s stomach doing flip-flops.

After the visit to the muggle club, they had parted ways and Ginny had wanted to go to her flat. She had had to walk because Apparating when drunken was not safe at all and there was no Floo Network entry near. She had told him how on her way she had gotten thirsty and went into the pub to get some water and then she had taken to gleefully explaining how she had cast the spell on the man that tried to feel her up.

By the time Ginny finished her story she seemed to have calmed down a bit and was getting sleepy at long last. She put her head on Harry’s shoulder and was silent for some time. Then she started talking again, this time quietly and with a sleepy voice,

“It’s nice to be together like this with you.”

And Harry couldn’t agree more. It was nice being so close to her again and if he had a say in it he would like it to continue even after she slept off her booze.

Ginny shifted again and turned towards him. “I always loved your hair.” To emphasize her point she started running a hand though his hair and put the other on his chest. Harry had the impression that the room had suddenly become very hot and was not at all sure whether he should stop Ginny before she did something stupid or if it was just his mind that thought of something more than was happening at the moment.

After a short while of just enjoying her ministrations he felt her turn again and this time she had apparently decided to use him as a pillow because after he had followed her instructions to “Budge over a little” she laid her head on his chest and made herself comfortable. He was just about to tell her that she should sleep in his bed while he could use the couch when he heard her begin to snore lightly. His moment of indecision was short lived. He was very happy with Ginny lying half way on him after all. But he wouldn’t be able to go back to work without disturbing her and Dawlish was sure to notice that. But he didn’t care about that now. He could just tell him that he had been looking for the perpetrator all night long and hadn’t found her and then went back home because he had worked 12 hours more than he was supposed to. But he knew that he’d have one more important thing to do before going into office tomorrow. He’d have to talk to Ginny and tell her that he still liked her. He made up his mind at that moment shortly before going to sleep that he’d tell her in the morning when she was sober again. But now he had to sleep, it had been a long night after all.
Reviews 13
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear