Search:

SIYE Time:14:30 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Most Powerful Magic
By Sena

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Other, Ron Weasley
Genres: Angst, Drama, General
Warnings: Death, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 4
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated since 2005 ***

The war is destroying lives. Ginny is haunted by chilling nightmares she can't quite remember, Ron is afraid of what Harry's become, Hermione's slowly succumbing to an illness, and betrayal is becoming an everyday routine. But through it all, Harry is begining to realize what Dumbledore meant when he said that love is the most powerful magic.
Hitcount: Story Total: 2472







ChapterPrinter


Disclaimers: Harry Potter belongs to those who own it. I do not. Greenday owns the song 'Wake Me Up When September Ends.'

Chapter 1
Love's Magic

Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
Wake me up when September ends


~~~


It was a three-story house, with a basement, an attic, a big backyard and a wrapping porch. The hedges were trimmed and laced in pink roses, there were four stairs leading up to the front door. This was their home, and Harry was leaving it.

This had been a night no different from any others. Ginny was prepairing dinner and sipping a glass of Pumpkin Juice, Ron and Harry were discussing Quidditch in the sitting room with Ron's eight-week-old baby, and Hermione was raving over her most recent research. An owl knocked at the kitchen window, and Ginny rushed to get it.

A single rolled partchment lay in her palm. Unrolling it, she scanned it over once or twice, before letting out a terrible sobbing gasp. With one word, with one signature, the entire world- her entire world- was thrown into chaos.

War.

Tonks.



A crystal goblet plummeted to the ground, but Ginny didn't bother to notice. She backed up into the wall, clutching the letter with both her hands and stifled another sob. Harry walked towards her, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Gin? What's wrong?"

Ginny stood, frozen, and glanced up at him. "Harry," she uttered, "it's the war. It's begun."

*


The white bedsheets were tangled up in her legs and arms. Sweat matted down fiery, vibrant red hair to her forehead and cheeks. Ivory white curtains were drawn to a close, letting in only a tiny ray of moonlight. The rest of the bedroom was pitch dark.

Ginevra Weasley's pale eyelids sprung open; she began panting heavily, as she heaved herself out of the web of bedspread and sat upright, back straight as a metal pillar. There was no trace of doubt in her mind; she had just had a nightmare- but about what?

The panting ceased, and was replaced with an annoyed sigh. Five, six nights like this and you were bound to get annoyed, as well. The nightmares she had were grave and frightening, she knew that much, but as soon as she awoke from her slumber the dream broke apart in her mind, leaving only tiny recollations. Right now, she burryed her sweaty face in her hands and tried to remember something- anything.

"You can't leave me like this..."

"But, you're dead..."


She moaned. There was no use; there never really was.

---

Harry lay awake on the stone cold cave floor, his wand sprawled on his chest, his hand gentally nudging it every minute or so. Ron was sleeping peacefully next to him, snoring into the fire every so often, and Hermione was somewhere comfortable, Harry thought.


"Harry, I'm coming with you!" Ginny whispered. Her voice was trance-like, cold, and raspy. Harry took her by the shoulders, caressing her bare neck and face.

"No." That one word; firm, forward and demanding. No. Harry wouldn't let his wife die at the hands of his biggest enemy. He wouldn't. He'd do anything to keep Ginny alive, and if it meant leaving her at home, alone and worried, so be it. He didn't want her dead.

"But-"

"You have to stay to take care of Xander. Your mum's getting old, and I don't suppose she could take of another little one all by herself, d'you?" Harry softly spoke.

Ginny looked at the ground, and placed a shaking hand on his own. Defeated brown eyes gazed into Harry's own, and she sighed.

Sadness erupted between the two, and Harry embraced and kissed Ginny passionatley. She broke the kiss some time later, tears streaking her red face.

"Take care of Hermione. Xander needs his mother."

Harry nodded, squeezing her hand, and taking off. Off to fight. Off to win.

"And take care of yourself. I need my husband," she mumbled, leaning against the brick wall and crying, silently, to herself.


Thoughts about Ginny often entered his mind- was she still alive? Had they gotten to her, yet? Without him there to protect her, it was only a matter of time. A slew of fresh tears made there way down his rough cheeks. He'd made a mistake leaving her alone- but he'd been young. They'd all been younger and more innocent a year ago. All of them.

Neville's scratched, dirty face as he clung on to the frail figure of Luna Lovegood. Her misty eyes were shut tight, her blonde hair like a sunlit blanket for her head. In Neville's eyes he saw sorrow, regret, compassion- tears. Tears for the woman he loved, dead.

Nott hovered about Neville, his wand outdrawn. "I've killed her, Longbottom. I think she's prettier dead, though. Doesn't open her mouth as much." Narrow sobs escapted Neville's lips. He didn't move or speak; Harry didn't suppose he could say anything.

The Death Eater let out a hearty, loud laugh- "But now, Longbottom, you'll find that it's your turn to suffer the way your parents have. The way your girlfriend has. The way your son has." Neville still didn't move; just sat, stroking Luna's golden hair, looking at her nearly see-through eyelids.

"Avada Kedavra!" Shouted Harry Potter, pouncing on Nott from behind a thin invisibility cloak. The Death Eater fell on the spot. Harry rushed to Neville.

"Are you alright?" He asked, placing a hand on his back in an attempt to help the Auror up. Neville looked at Harry, his shining eyes burning and searching for answers.

One word came out of his mouth that night. "Son?"


The war had changed him. He was no longer afraid to kill; to murder; to punish those who deserved it. His bleeding heart was forever bandaged, and whenever he did kill someone, he forgot about it. Or, at least he tried his damndest to. But whenever- if ever- he fell asleep, faces and yells and pleas plagued his dreams. Was he no better than Voldemort himself? He wondered.

"Oh, but you are better than Voldemort, Harry. This is a war we're fighting- not a bloody game of Quidditch."

Ron's words wrung out in his mind. He didn't actually believe them, and he was begining to doubt that Ron believed them. Harry was not the child who had boarded the Hogwarts express so many years ago- but were any of them?

This was his last thought before he finally yelided to a light sleep. Draco Malfoy, it seemed, would be visiting the inside of Harry's mind tonight.

---

The cloaked figure turned and removed his hood. There was a darker mask, revealing nothing but two piercing eyes. As the figure raised his wand, the silhouette sped out of the shadows and into the light, cradling a sleeping child. Realization fell into place, as the silhouettes own eyes widened in shock, horror and disbelief. "But... you're dead."

Ginny's eyelids sprung open once more. Once again, her dream broke down into tiny fragments, pieces that were only to recall and lable as deja-vu.

Swinging out of bed, she made her way to the windows and swept the curtains aside, allowing deep rays of gorgeous sunlight in, illuminating the once dark bedroom. Morning had come to those of Hogsmead.

---

"You've found me, have you?" He asked, his eyes flickering with hatered. "Took you long enough, though, I thoguht you were smarter than that."

Harry frowned, unamused, placing a hand inside his robes, feeling the heat generating off Gryffindor's Sword. "So," Draco continued, "how's your wife? You should go home to her. Before she finds someone else to sat-"

"Stupefy!" Harry yelled, pointing his wand to Draco. He dodged the spell with ease. "Relax, Potter, it was only a simple question. My wife's doing beyond fine. But then again," Draco paused, secretly placing a hand on his wand, "Cho's always been-"

Harry took this time to strike- and strike he did. He pulled out the sword, plunged it deep into Draco's stomach, and stood back as the blonde-haired boy who had once been his enemy, once been his ally, and once been his competition stumbled backward and fell. The wand which he was planning on using fell useless next to him, rolled, and stopped at Harry's feet. The air seemed to stand still.

Draco's breath became shallow and he began to gasp for air. Before the ice in his eyes died, he managed to utter a simple phrase. Perhaps it was a warning, or perhaps it was Draco's last chance at a sarcastic remark.

"Let's hope," he stuttered, "that Potter's always- always going to-to be around t-to save the," a final gasp of air, "day." His face contorted into a final, paingful scowl.

And Draco was at peace.

Harry stepped over him, pulled out the sword, and moved on. Yet Draco Malfoy's words did not fall on deaf ears.


With a silent gasp , Harry's eyes flew open. He peered around through half open eyes; Hermione was asleep across Ron's chest, and Ron was absentmindedly stroking her hair, staring up at the cieling with a giddy grin.

Dumbledore was always on about love. How it was the greatest power one could obtain. How if you gave love, and were loved, then you were truly gifted. Well, Harry never did understand what his old Headmaster was on about- but he thought, right at this moment, that he was begining to understand.

If it weren't for love, they'd all be sinking into a deep hole of depression. That or they'd all end up dead- for wasn't it Harry's thrive to be with Ginny that kept him alive? Wasn't it Ron and Hermione's adoration for each other and their son that kept them going? It was. It was all love.

Then, Harry realized that needed to do this. Harry needed to win this war for Ginny, for Ron, for Hermione, for his Nephew... for everyone.

And his last thought before once more succumbing to sleep was about a certain red-haired witch.

But his dreams wouldn't be so forgiving.

~~~


A/N : Well, well. This is my first story, and I really do hope you've enjoyed it so far. If I've managed to muck up my English- because English is my second language- just tell me. Chapter two will be arriving shortly. I have a wonderful begining and ending, but the middle part isn't coming along so easily. One more thing- thanks for reading =)

- Miranda.
Reviews 4
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear