Search:

SIYE Time:16:14 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter and the Ferret In Tights
By YelloWitchGrl

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Draco Malfoy, Albus Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Neville Longbottom, Ron Weasley, Severus Snape
Genres: Action/Adventure, Comedy, Fluff, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 105
Summary: Harry and crew are taken off to live out the famous tale of Robin Hood. All involved will be in character and it will follow cannon. HG RHr Mostly this will be a comedy...
Hitcount: Story Total: 60735; Chapter Total: 3831







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


I do not own Harry Potter

A/N: Thank you for reviewing and reading faithfully.

Thank you again to my beta, Oomahey!

Chapter 5: Swimming With The Fishies

“Wake up!”

Harry groaned and tried to roll over and get more comfortable. He shivered and moved his face about, trying to get away from the noise but a sharp jab to his cheek made him yelp and sit up quickly. “What the…” but he let his voice fade off as he realized that it was a straw from the hay his bed was made of.

“You need to be up and catching breakfast,” came Hermione’s stern and impatient voice from above him.

Harry squinted up at her. “We have breakfast. There is plenty of venison left over from last night.” Harry pointed up at the meat and yawned.

He saw that Ron was also rising and stretching up to his full height. “Wha’d ya go and wake us up for, Hermione?” he yawned.

“It is a busy day today. You three,” she indicated towards Harry, Ron and Luna, “need to learn to fish and Neville has church today.”

Harry froze, sure that he couldn’t have heard her right. “Church?” He looked over at Neville and saw that his mouth was hanging open, his round face pale with shock.

“Do you mean like the Muggle churches?” Luna asked. She was sitting up and pulling her long hair back away from her face. Several pieces of straw were stuck in it at odd angles.

“Yes, of course Muggle church. Neville is Friar Tuck, so he must perform the church service today. I had the option of making him live in the church but thought it would be better for you four to stay together.” Harry looked up and saw that Hermione was grinning like a Cheshire cat. She went on. “I will walk Neville to the church and then bring him back again, it will be fine.”

“Then why do you have that look on your face?” Ron questioned suspiciously.

Hermione shook her head. “Never you mind. I am going to walk you all to the stream so that you can wash up and begin fishing.”

“Right, right,” Ron reached up and grabbed the meat that they had hung up above them.

“Is that all right to eat?” Hermione asked cautiously.

“Oh yes,” Neville spoke up finally. “I found a few herbs and roots that cured the meat so that it is still edible. There were references to them in The Idiot’s Guide To Survival Cooking and I was able to locate them after Ron had killed the deer.”

Hermione’s grin widened. “Ron, you killed the deer? Well done.”

“Thanks,” Ron replied and his face flushed. He ducked his head to hide the rising blush that threatened to suffuse is face and handed strips of meat to everyone.

Harry took a bite and tasted the herbs that Neville had added. It was not an unpleasant taste and the meat filled him quickly. He popped the last piece in his mouth and chewed hastily. “I’m ready then.”

“I am finished too,” Luna replied serenely as she got up and began to fold her deerskin cover. They had insisted that she use it last night and Luna had finally acquiesced after they insisted that the hay would be warm enough for them.

Ron got up and brushed the hay from him clothes and grabbed the orange cooking book. “Let’s get going.”

They all looked up at Hermione and she pointed east and said, “The stream is that way.”

“Good, I’m thirsty,” Harry, informed them and walked off in the direction that Hermione had indicated.

They walked on through the thick forest, dodging branches and wending their way through the enormous, old trees. They walked for what seemed like half an hour before they finally reached a large stream. Instantly the four went to it and began to drink.

“Well, if I would have known you were so thirsty, I would have brought you here last night,” Hermione commented dryly.

“Sorry,” Neville glanced up sheepishly at her.

Hermione nodded. “Finish washing Neville, we’ve got a bit of a walk before we get to the church and you’re expected at 9am every Sunday morning.”

“I didn’t even remember that it was Sunday,” Neville muttered under his breath so that only Harry caught it. He seemed to gulp and turned back to wash his face and hands. Finally he stood and faced her. “I’m ready.” His face was determined but a small tremble could be heard in his voice.

“Let’s go then and you three-” she pointed at them again, “Get started on fishing.”

“Yes ma’am!” Ron saluted her and turned to flip open the book. “Fishing… fishing… fishing… ah! I’ve located it.”

Harry watched Neville and Hermione go off back through the forest, but not by the same way they had come from. He turned back and ambled over to Ron to read over his shoulder. He noted several drawings of men standing in the river and seeming to grab the fish from the water with their bare hands. “We’re going to try that?”

“I suppose,” Ron muttered and handed the book to Luna who had held out her arm to take it.

“This looks like it might be fun,” Luna told them. “I have always wanted to try fishing.”

“What?” Harry asked her incredulously. “You wouldn’t kill a deer yesterday but you’ll catch a fish today?”

“Well, I’ll let it go, of course.” Luna told him, her eyes widening.

“Oh, of course,” Ron shook his head and walked towards the waters edge before shucking his shoes and sticking a foot in. “Bloody Hell! It’s freezing!”

Harry laughed and kicked off his own shoes. “Let’s get started on this. I bet it will take us all morning to figure it out- AAAHH!” Harry leapt back out of the water, as fast as he’d stepped in. The flowing stream was frigid and his foot had burned as if on fire, but instead of flames, it was terribly cold.

Ron was howling with laughter, clutching at his sides with both feet firmly in the water. “I told you!”

Luna walked past them and into the clear water, pausing momentarily to shiver and then proceeding on until she was standing up to her thighs. Her green tights were even darker from the soaked in water. Harry and Ron stared at her and she looked down at the water and then, in a flash, her arm shot down and back up with a large, silver colored fish. They both gasped and she looked up and smiled before gently letting it go back in the water. “That was actually quite easy.”

Harry turned to Ron. “How is it that she’s so good at this and we can’t even shoot an arrow straight?”

“Dunno mate, but we’d best get to catching something or we’ll starve.” Ron bent down and moved a few rocks so that he made a small inlet for water to come in. At Harry’s questioning glance, he replied, “It will keep the fish fresh until we can cook them.”

Together, they set off towards the middle of the stream where Luna had now caught her third fish. Harry stationed himself and looked down into the clear depths, waiting for a fish to come by. If I just reacted fast enough then this should be like catching the snitch, he thought hopefully but he had to wait for nearly 5 minutes before a fish came along, although Luna was now on her seventh catch. She makes it look so easy, Harry grumbled internally and then he saw it.

There was a large, silver fish coming straight for him. Harry waited for a second and then shot his arm down to snatch the fish from the water when his right foot went flying out behind him, slipping on a mossy rock. Harry fell straight towards the stony floor of the stream. He extended his arms to break his fall and narrowly missed colliding his head with a sharp rock. “Damn!” Harry spluttered in the freezing water, which now soaked him from head to toe.

“Harry, you all right mate?” Ron asked before hauling Harry to his feet, using his wet shirt to pull him up.

“Fine,” Harry muttered and straightened his tunic out. He looked up to see that Ron was valiantly fighting off his mirth at Harry’s plight. “You wouldn’t be laughing if you were all wet.”

Ron shrugged and turned back to the water. “It’s just odd seeing a great seeker like you fall flat on his face.”

Harry grimaced but decided to ignore him. It wouldn’t get them anywhere closer to catching the fish. He looked down at the water again but his glasses were all wet and fogged up. He removed them to wipe on his shirt but it was no use. His shirt was just as wet as he was. “Ron, can I borrow your-”

Splash!

Ron had just taken the same nosedive that Harry had moments earlier. Harry quickly shoved his glasses back on his face and moved to help him up. Ron came out of the water, spitting and coughing and also completely drenched.

“You all right mate?” Harry asked, realizing that he was reiterating what had just been said to him a minute earlier and he could not stop himself. Harry roared with laughter.

Ron let out a wry chuckle and shook his wet hair back from his head. “I am afraid that we are not cut out for outdoor life.”

“You two should try spears.” Luna said conversationally. She was holding a large, wriggling fish in her hands and wearing a pleasant smile. She lowered the fish back to the stream and continued to study the water. “Sharpen a few and then try and throw them at the fish. You might have more luck with that.”

“Ok, let’s go then.” Harry waded back out of the water and sighed as he waited for Ron. “I feel terribly sexist admitting this but… it does get on my nerves that she’s so much better at this than I am.”

“That’s not sexist,” Ron told him with a snort of laughter. “That is completely normal. It’s Luna, after all. She’s nice and all, but I never figured she’d be this competent at anything except school work.”

Harry nodded and watched her catch another fish. “I suppose it might be just her. I don’t think I would care if it were Ginny and Hermione.”

Ron patted his shoulder. “We’re used to being shown up by them, after all.” He shook his head, as if shaking off the cobwebs “They’re both so talented at everything. Well, let’s make some spears. I suppose we can sharpen branches using rocks. So, you want to collect the rocks or the branches?”

Harry found his shoes and pulled them on, basking in the warmth of the sun that was filtering through the treetops. “I’ll get the branches. I don’t swim well, so it’s probably best if I stay away from the water.”

“Good point,” Ron pulled on his own shoes and went to hunt the waters edge for stones.

Harry glanced once at Luna to see that she was smiling, obviously enjoying herself, and he shook his head. He didn’t have to understand her, after all.

Harry moved off in to the forest in search of a few straight branches that might be used to create spears and his mind began to wander. Where is Ginny now? Is she safe? Will we be able to stop Draco from marrying her? The thoughts kept sailing through his mind, distracting him from seeing the two long branches that he might have picked up, before stepping on, and cracking, a third. He sighed and applied himself once more to the task of searching for branches, hoping that Ginny was all right and wondering how Neville was doing in his first church service.







EXTREMELY IMPORTANT A/N: Tomorrow night, Thursday 18th at 7:30pm EST, Creative Quill will be holding an authors chat at Wizardtales dot net in the chatroom. Please come and join us in a Q and A time with her, so that we can all pick her brain about her wonderful stories!


Thank you again to everyone who has reviewed!!
Reviews 105
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear