Search:

SIYE Time:10:08 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Carry This Picture
By Rianna

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Other, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley
Genres: Drama, Fluff, Songfic
Warnings: None
Rating: PG
Reviews: 4
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated since 2005 ***

Harry Potter's summer was going very horribly indeed: he had just witnessed the murder of Dumbledore, a man he thought to be the most powerful wizard alive, by Severus Snape, who was, in Harry's opinion, very inferior. But Harry's thoughts do not lay solely on Dumbledore. His thoughts, and his heart, remain with Ginny Weasley, and he's starting to realize that his decision may not be for the best. Third chapter is songfic to Dashboard Confessional's "Carry This Picture".
Hitcount: Story Total: 2682







ChapterPrinter


A/N: Like I said in the summary, the third chapter will be a songfic. This is just the beginning to a four-part story about Harry and Ginny's steadily evolving realtionship. I didn't create Harry, Ginny, or anyone else. I didn't create the song. I created the plot line in my head. That's about it.

A long time ago I realized that the connection that I share with Ginny Weasley is much, much more than physical attraction. Yes, I came to my senses that night Ron and I caught her with Dean, but it's more. I haven't been the same since that night in the Chamber of Secrets. I've loved Ginny since then.

As always, realization came much too late for my liking. There was a particular moment on the train ride back to King's Cross that I'll never forget, as long as I live. The compartment was silent : Ron and Hermione sat together in one corner, I in another, and Ginny directly across from me. She was gazing out of the window, looking at nothing in particular, her mind obviously in other places. I couldn't tell you why, in that one moment, it came so clearly to me, but from then on, I knew. I knew that I was in love with Ginny. I knew that I always had been. And I knew that I would defeat Voldemort, if only to spend another day with her, and to see her smile. This simple, magnificent moment of clarity came with another realization. Dawning on me like the sunrise of the most glorious day, I understood what Dumbledore had been trying so desperately to get me to understand for six years.

As the train began to slow down, Ginny was lifted from her reverie. For a moment, our eyes locked. Inside of hers I could see fear, and pain, and a certain serenity that at the moment I didn't quite understand. But I knew that the same look was reflected in mine. It's as if Ginny knew what I knew, as if she knew just how much I did need her. And then she looked away, and muttered a comment about the weather. I could tell she was in pain, and it took every ounce of self-control I had to not take her into my arms and kiss her, if only, for a moment, I could make her world be good again. She seemed to notice, too. And odd look of knowing spread across her face, but before I could do a thing, she was out of the compartment. I had only just realized that the trian had stopped.

As we stood together on the platform, me, Ron, Hermione and Ginny, I felt something I hadn't ever felt. This was my family. I noticed Ron's hand intertwined with Hermione's. I smiled: just as McGonagall had said, back in the hospital wing that night, Dumbledore would have been happy knowing that there was more love in the world. Ginny gave me another funny look, like she knew what I was thinking. Another time, many years later, I had commented to Ginny that sometimes I wondered if she had secretly mastered Legilemency.

Students were moving very fast past us, eager to get to their families. I couldn't blame them: Dumbledore's death seemed to have knocked the entire Wizarding community into shock. The four of us stood amidst it all, watching as the world passed us by. I felt another great surge of affection towards the people standing before me. As the crowd grew thinner and thinner, we, too, began to make our way out of the station. Suddenly, without thinking about the consequences, or that, just a mere hour ago, I had broken up with her, I grabbed Ginny's hand. She was startled at first, but didn't pull back. Instead, she smiled brilliantly up at me. I felt my heart melting.

We were right in front of the barrier when Ron turned around, and didn't even seem surprised that I was holding Ginny's hand. We had stopped mid-stride.

"You coming, mate?" he asked me.

"You two go ahead. I'll be right out."

Ron nodded, without protest, and stepped through the barrier, Hermione by his side. I smiled again. Once, I thought, I had heard Dumbledore mention that there was hope for all mankind, as long as love still existed. Or maybe I imagined it.

"Ginny, I-" I began, not really knowing what I was going to say.

Ginny put a finger to my lip. "No, Harry, Don't speak."

I didn't. Instead, I took her into my arms, and held her right there, on platform 9 3/4. We stood there for what possibly could have been several sunlit days, wrapped up in each other, now wanting to ruin this pure and incredible moment.

"I love you" I whispered, just loud enough for her to hear. She looked up at me, and pressed her head against my chest once more. I didn't need her to say it back.

We stepped through the barrier some time later, coming face-to-face with the Weasley's.

"I didn't know what happened to you two! Ron and Hermione came out and said you'd be out soon. And then this!" she said, looking from me to Ginny incredulously. "I was scared that-"

"We're fine Mum," she said. "I'm safe. I was with Harry." She looked up at me, and, once again, I felt my insides melt. For a moment, Mrs. Weasley looked at us wistfully, lost in her own nostalgia. But she soon returned to her old nature.

"Harry, how are you going to get to your Aunt and Uncle's?" she asked.

"I'll Apparate." I said.

"You can't do that; you haven't passed the test!"

"He's fine, Mum," said Ron. "He's better than me."

She looked over at Mr. Weasley, who nodded. I stepped toward him.

"You be good, Harry Potter." He put a hand on my shoulder. "Son." he said, quietly, and I was sure only I had heard him. I felt a strange rush of gratitude towrds him: those were just the words I needed to hear right now.

"You know I will, Mr. Weasley" I said.

"Oh, Harry! There's no need for you to call me that anymore. Mr. Weasley was my father! We're family. Call me Arthur."

"Alright Mr. Wea-" I stopped short of myself, "Arthur."

I stepped forward, trying to find a place that was concealed enough for me to Apparate away.

"Harry, wait!" said Hermione. She ran towards me, and flung herself onto me, enveloping me into a large hug. I laughed.

"How long are you staying?" she asked.

"Not sure. Long enough, I suppose. My birthday is in a month, and I want to leave before that."

"Alright." she said, tears glistening in her eyes. I smiled over at Ron, and then to Ginny, feeling myself drawn towards her, though I knew the time wasn't right. And with that, I Apparated myself to the Dursley's.
Reviews 4
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear