Search:

SIYE Time:17:17 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Peaceful Dawn
By LilyClio

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Drama, Fluff
Warnings: None
Rating: PG
Reviews: 9
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated since 2005 ***

After Voldemort's death, Harry has one person he wants to find.
Hitcount: Story Total: 2889







ChapterPrinter


It wasn’t at all what he had imagined. He thought that after the victory, he would feel terrible about killing someone. He thought the Order would be counting its dead, and that there would be no rejoicing, just more funerals. He had been wondering how many of his friends he would bring to the grave. This wasn’t it at all.
The morning was peaceful. Just last night, he had found Nagini. She had been fourth on his list of Horcruxes to destroy before going after Voldemort. He hadn’t expected Voldemort to go after him right after finding his pet snake dead.
What Voldemort hadn’t counted on was that Harry had destroyed four other Horcruxes already, and that by that time, he was mortal again.
Voldemort had cornered Harry right when he arrived in Godric’s Hollow, where Ron and Hermione were waiting for him. Harry was exhausted and in no state to fight. He had thought he was over and done with, when Ron had managed to come behind Voldemort and kill him, just as dawn came. Voldemort had died as the day began, by the hand of Ron Weasley. It made sense to Harry, now. The prophecy was just that, a prophecy. It wasn’t the future, it was what people made of it. Harry had, in one sense, killed Voldemort by going after and destroying five Horcruxes. The final touch had been Ron’s.
Harry knew that the war wasn’t over yet, there were still too many Death Eaters at large, but he felt at rest when Hermione approached Voldemort’s body and confirmed that he was dead. Their part was over. The ministry could deal with the others.
Harry had one thing in mind, as the sun rose. There was one person he wanted to find.

***

Ginny Weasley was watching the sun rising. She had to get to work soon. Some people might think that working for her brothers would mean less hard work, but they obviously did not know Fred and George Weasley.
They had hired her when she told them she was bored beyond sanity at the Burrow. Hogwarts hadn’t re-opened for her sixth year, and since she was the only Weasley still underage, she was spending her days with her mother. There was only so much cleaning that could be done in a house inhabited by two people, which meant that Ginny spent her days with nothing to do.
The twins needed to hire someone. Their business being one of the few in the Wizarding world to extend in those times of darkness, extra help was very welcome. That was how Ginny had found herself working in Diagon Alley every morning for the past few months.
She had expected it to be more interesting. Working in a joke shop seemed like fun, but she discovered an entire new side of the twins, the one with which they had made Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes so successful. They were business driven, and made her work hard.
Ginny didn’t mind, though. It took her mind off things. She could stop wondering where Ron, Hermione and Harry were off to, for a few hours.
They had stopped a couple times at the shop, to get stuff she had no idea what they used for. It didn’t look at first as if Puking Pastilles would be of any use to kill Voldemort, but they seemed to think it did.
Those visits always overjoyed her. The Trio rarely came to the Burrow, it looked like they spent most of their time in Godric’s Hollow, or went off to places known only by them.
The first time they came, Harry had somehow managed to get Ginny alone and had kissed her senseless. He hadn’t talked to her after that, just smiled and left. She had spent the next month wondering whether it had really happened, when he came back and did the same thing all over again. Each of the Trio’s visits would finish with a wonderful snogfest.
She never really knew if she was angry at Harry or elated after those few minutes spent together. She just found herself waiting more and more for the next visit, when they would come back from wherever they had gone.
Ginny had been wondering exactly what they were doing, since they were supposed to be trying to kill Voldemort, but Tom Riddle seemed very much alive. She wanted the war to be over just like the next person, but even more because so many people she loved were deeply involved.
The sun was completely up. The sky had lost its pink, and there wasn’t a cloud to see for miles. The air was pure, and she could see the next town from her bed.
She moved away from the window to get dressed, and then get to work. There was something peaceful about that morning, and she was eager to get going.

***

Harry Potter arrived in Diagon Alley two hours after Voldemort’s death. The street was gloomy. Half the shops were closed. Harry felt shivers walking by Florean Fortescue’s, remembering the summer before third year, and all the free ice creams he got. He hoped that wherever Florean was now, he was happy that the war that had cost him his life was over.
People were walking fast, not yet knowing that there was much less to be afraid of. Hermione had sent a report only to the Ministry to announce the death, and where to find the body. They needed the Wizarding community to learn the good news as fast as possible, and they knew the Ministry would announce it faster than you could say Quidditch. Scrimgeour would take good news any day. The Minister wasn’t exactly popular at the moment.
Hermione and Ron had taken off for some alone time right after that. They needed to talk a lot, and hopefully, Harry thought, do more than that. Ron was shaken from killing someone, but had no regrets whatsoever.
The joke shop had just opened. Harry first noticed Ginny when he saw her red hair clashing with the purple and green window. He had been dreaming of that moment for months, the moment he would tell her it was all over.
She had been so mad when Hogwarts had closed before she could even sit for her O.W.L.s. She had been pretty angry when Harry, Ron and Hermione took off after Fleur and Bill’s wedding. However, no matter how mad she was, — and deserved to be — she hadn’t minded when he told her, in more actions than words, that she was still the one he was thinking about when he went to sleep at night.
Harry opened the locked door with his wand. Without turning around, Ginny said, “We’re not open yet. Please come back in ten minutes.”
Harry didn’t answer at first, waiting for her to move from her task. When she didn’t, he looked closer, and saw her tense up and slowly move her hand towards her wand. Idiot, he thought. She thinks I’m a Death Eater.
“Ginny,” he said simply, to calm her down.
She turned around suddenly. She took her time taking in his appearance. He still had some blood from Nagini on his cloak, his eyes were bloodshot from lack of sleep, and he had dirt on his face from the moment Voldemort had cornered him. She smirked.
“Well, someone looks like shit.”
The sound of her voice was all it took. In a few strides, he covered the distance that separated them and kissed her.
It was very much like their first kiss, unexpected, but so much awaited. They kissed as if their lives depended on it, until they were rudely interrupted by George.
“Well, well, well, what do we have here?”
He had a huge smirk on his face that made it impossible to know whether he was thinking of endless teasing or simply just happy for them.
“Are you celebrating something?” Fred asked, joining his twin’s side.
“No,” Ginny answered, just as Harry said “Yes.”
She looked at him quizzically.
“Voldemort is dead,” he answered. “It’s all over.”
Fred, George and Ginny stayed quiet for a minute pondering this news. Harry watched them going form disbelief to realisation. Then, Ginny said, “You’re wrong, Harry. It’s not over.”
It was his turn to look at her quizzically.
“It’s only the beginning.”



A/N I’ve had this bunny in my head all day, I had to get it out. This is my first fanfiction. Comments are welcome to improve my writing skills.
Thank you to Python Blossom for beta-ing!
Reviews 9
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear