Search:

SIYE Time:15:13 on 16th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Man's Greatest Power
By arra_angeline

- Text Size +

Category: Dark Autumn Challenge (2005-5)
Characters:None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Fluff, General, Humor
Warnings: Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 40
Summary: ** Winner of Best Romance in the Dark Autumn Challenge **
Hogsmeade is under great turmoil; Death Eaters have launched a surprise attack on the little village, wreaking havoc and mayhem whenever they could- Little did they know of the DA's superb fighting abilities and the master of Defence, Harry Potter, joining the fray-

Join our favourite characters as they fight this epic battle against evil, realize their own strengths and powers, fight a most feared creature, and discover the greatest power known to man-

Hitcount: Story Total: 4411



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.





ChapterPrinter


Disclaimer: I own none of the characters, etc., J.K Rowling does... she's the best...

A/N: I've never written fanfic before, this is my first... I always told myself to start one, but I never got around to doing it... but now it's the school holidays, I saw the challenge and, well, the words just seemed to flow... hope you like it!

***

“Harry…”

“Oi! Wake up, sleepy-head!”

Harry grumbled, pulled the covers of his bed over his head and mumbled something incoherent, as he felt two sharp fingers jab him painfully in the ribs. Getting rather irritated, he pushed the covers off his head and flicked his eyes open revealing a slightly blurred vision of a freckled redhead and a bushy brunette peering down at him. Grumbling, Harry shifted in his bed and stuffed the pillow over his face.

“Five more minutes,” mumbled Harry, as Ron continued to poke him in the ribs.

“Harry,” said a stern voice from beside Ron, “It’s 12 in the afternoon, students are already on their way to Hogsmeade, Ginny is waiting for us downstairs, and you are still in bed! Now get up before I lose my temper and jinx the living daylights out of you!”

“It must be PMS,” Ron muttered to the half-asleep Harry, who snorted into his pillow.

An alarmingly loud and threatening growl escaped from Hermione’s lips; she was glaring at the two boys, a vehement look in her eyes, as she slowly raised her wand and pointed it between Harry and Ron as if deciding on which one to jinx first. Ron grabbed Harry’s pillow and hid behind it.

“Alright, alright, I’m up!” said Harry as he sat up and stared at his friend, worried that she had lost her sanity.

Hermione glared at Ron who had peeked from behind his pillow and raised her wand higher. Seeing her murderous gaze on him, Ron squealed and buried his head behind the pillow once more, his plea for mercy slightly muffled by the cushion. Hermione glanced from the cowering Ron to the bemused Harry then back again and before she could stop herself, she burst out laughing.

Harry raised his eyebrows. “Er...”

“What the…?” said Ron, dropping the pillow from his face and staring at Hermione as if she’d gone crazy.

“Oh, you’d best get ready, Harry,” said Hermione after she had calmed down from her fit of giggles, “Ginny’s already downstairs, and you know better than to keep her waiting.”

Turning on her heels, she marched out of the dorm, shaking her head amusedly, and shut the door behind her.

“I always thought she was nuts. Now I know it for sure,” Ron said.

“But you always had a liking for nuts, didn’t you, Ron?” said Harry, smirking as Ron’s ears turned beet red.

“That, Harry, was rather lame, if I do say so myself,” said a voice from the dormitory doorway.

Looking up, Harry saw one of his four dorm mates march in and plonk himself down on his four-poster bed.

“Hey, Seamus. Why aren’t you at Hogsmeade?”

“Just came back from detention. I, uh, accidentally hit Filch with a Gobstone.”

Ron snorted. “Serves him right,” he said, “Prowling around the castle and telling off any student within twenty meters of him. I still haven’t got that stench of cleaning product off my hands from scrubbing all those bloody trophies.”

Harry got up from is bed, straightened the covers with a flick of his wand and rummaged through his trunk in search for a pair of jeans, socks, a shirt and his cloak.

“So Ginny’s coming down to Hogsmeade with us, Ron?” asked Harry as he pulled on a pair of lime green socks.

“Yeah…” replied Ron, eyeing Harry suspiciously, “Why?”

Harry shrugged, pulling on his grey sweater and jeans. “Just asking.”

Ron grinned slyly. “You know, she’s stopped seeing Dean,” he muttered to Harry so that Seamus, who was idly reading a Quidditch magazine on his bed, couldn’t hear him.

“Hmm.”

“It wouldn’t hurt if you’d just tell her you have feeli-”

“Ron, for the thousandth time, I don’t have feelings for Ginny. At least, not like that,” said Harry, blushing slightly in spite of himself.

“Uh huh. Sure. You know, I don’t mind at all if you two-”

“Ron…” started Harry warningly

Ron sighed and looked at Harry with a strange expression on his face.

“I’ve seen the way you look at her, Harry, however dense I may be, and you know what I think, Harry?” he said

Harry shook his head.

“I think you love her.”

Harry stared. “I… I…”

“Just one piece of advice, mate,” Ron said, his face suddenly serious, “Don’t let her go. Don’t fight it. You can’t fight love, no matter how hard you try; because the more you fight it, the more it takes hold of you until you have no choice but to embrace it.”

Harry stared at is best friend. “All right… who are you and what have you done to my thick-headed best friend who has the ‘emotional range of a teaspoon’?”

Ron laughed. “Just a thought.”

“Right,” said Harry grinning, “Thanks, mate. For the advice.”

“No problem! But seriously, Harry, if you don’t get a move on with Ginny, I’ll hex you into bloody next week!”

“Hark, look who’s talking! What about you and Hermione?”

Ron’s ears turned red. “What about Hermione?”

“OW!”

“What’s wrong, mate?”

Harry lifted his fingers to his mouth and sucked on it, wincing in pain. “Nothing, I’m fine. I just cut myself on a piece of broken mirror in my trunk.”

“Aww,” said Seamus mockingly, looking up from his magazine, “Do you want me to kiss it and make it feel better, Potty?”

Harry chucked a pillow at him, which he caught, as Ron sniggered. “Ha ha, very funny.”

“Let’s get going, mate,” said Ron, “If Hermione’s nuts, then Ginny borders along zany and just plain dangerous. Later, Seamus.”

“Later, mate,” replied Seamus, as Ron and Harry headed out the door.

***

Harry didn’t know when it started. In all the years he knew her, he never saw Ginny as more than Ron’s little sister. Sure, he felt almost as protective as Ron did towards her sometimes, but in all those years, his feelings towards her had been completely brotherly. Just last year, Harry had become quite close to her as friends and as time passed, Harry saw there was more to Ginny than a little school girl with a crush on his older brother’s famous friend. She was outgoing and quite opinionated, although perhaps not as much as Hermione. She’s not afraid to stand up for what she believed in; she’s independent, and almost as mischievous and comical as Fred and George. To add to that, Harry could hardly fail to notice her developing physique, and her rather not so unattractive facial features. With her long, wavy, red hair, her dimpled smile and sparkling chocolate brown eyes; Ginny was beautiful. However, his chance with her was long gone; as Hermione so bluntly put it, she had given up on him long ago. Harry sighed. There she was a few years ago, crushing on him, the famous Harry Potter, and he didn’t even notice her until- BOOM! - A few years later, she’s grown up so beautifully, they’re quite good friends, yet she’s given up on him, while here he was falling for her. Hard. Harry snorted at the irony.

“What’s so funny?” asked Harry’s redheaded object of thought as she, Harry, Ron and Hermione walked down the mud laden, crowded street of Hogsmeade village.

“Er... nothing, Ginny, nothing,” replied Harry hastily, as Ginny eyed him suspiciously.

“Hey, did you guys want to go to Honeydukes first? I’m starving,” asked Ron, stopping just outside the sweet shop.

“Alright,” said Hermione, “You know, I have never seen Hogsmeade look this crowded”

“I know,” said Ginny as the foursome entered the sweet shop, “the students must be taking advantage of this happy day out- you know, with terror of the war and all.”

A girl with dirty blond hair, large blue protuberant eyes, and a rather prominent pair of carrot earrings dangling from her ears approached them, carrying a large jack-o-lantern lollipop in one hand and a small basket of cockroach clusters in another.

“Hey, Luna!” greeted Ginny, Harry, Ron and Hermione simultaneously. Ever since their trip to the Department of Mysteries, Harry had been feeling quite friendly towards this rather bizarre fifth-year.

“Hello! How are you all? I was just talking to Ernie, there,” Luna said, gesturing behind her where Ernie Macmillan was poring over a jar of cockroach clusters, “You know, about Earth-Demons.”

“Earth-what?” asked Ron, his mouth already full of a variety of sweets, “Is this another one of your made up creatures?”

“No, Ron, it’s real,” said Hermione, suddenly shivering, as Luna opened her mouth in protest to Ron’s statement, “I read about them in a book in fourth year while helping Harry in the First Task. Earth-Demons are one of the foulest and malicious creatures that ever walked this earth. They dwell in the deepest, darkest parts of the underground, killing and eating any living thing they might come across. Their hands are lethal, for they inflict pain and torture to its victim even without touching. They’re extremely strong, wild, and have a special liking for humans.”

Ron shivered. “When you say ‘special liking’ you don’t mean they want to be best buddies, do you?”

“No. I meant they have a special liking for human flesh. But that’s not all,” continued Hermione, “They’re horrid looking, at least, from what I saw in book they are; large, scaly, red eyes with no pupils, a long thorny tail, and two deadly horns on its head that produce poisonous gas.”

“Are the ministry controlling them?” asked Harry

“I wish I could say they are,” said Hermione, “From what I’ve heard, they’re on You-Know-Who’s side”

“Figures,” said Ron

“I heard Bill and Charlie talking about them before,” said Ginny, “They said that You-Know-Who is controlling them by means of a device. It’s supposedly stronger than the Imperius curse and only he can work it.”

Luna, who had been listening to Hermione’s speech dreamily, piped up, “You forgot their worst weapon.”

“Worst weapon? Besides eating and killing creatures and releasing poisonous gas?” said Ron

Hermione shivered again. “Yes. They have one more power. It’s the worst one of all, and not many who have witnessed it have lived to tell the tale. They have the power to possess- to enter one’s body and take control of their soul. A bit like a Dementor, but much, much worse; once in possession of a soul, they eat away at it, making the victim ill, mentally and physically, until they dry out- literally.”

“They die?” asked Ginny

“If only they do. They still live, but barely. They deteriorate bit by bit until their once human appearance is non-existent and they turn into ugly, red-eyed, horned creatures.”

“They become one of them,” whispered Ron

“Yes. They- Professor Trelawney!” exclaimed Hermione as Professor Trelawney sauntered over to them, wheezing as her eyes rolled wildly around in its sockets.

“Hang on…” said Harry recognizing the professor’s symptoms

Professor Trelawney grabbed Harry’s shirt, gasping as her head began to twitch uncontrollably.

“Should I go get help?” asked Ron, looking at Trelawney, frightened.

Harry lifted Professor Trelawney’s hands from his shirt, and straightened her up.

“Professor?”

The Divination teacher went deadly still, her eyes white and her pupils unseen, her skin ghostly pale and her hands icy in Harry’s palms. Her voice was cold, dark, deep, and inhuman as she said only three bone-chilling words…

“They are coming.”

Ron turned chalk-white and Hermione creased her eyebrows, but before any of them could say a single word, a shrill, ear-splitting scream was heard from outside the sweet shop.

“What…?” asked Harry, looking wildly around and stepping outside the door into the cold breeze outside, Ron, Ginny, Hermione and Luna, hurrying in his wake.

The village was in turmoil; students were running around in fear, screaming, while shop owners shut their windows and doors closed.

“What’s going on?” asked Ginny, as Neville ran into them, gasping for breath.

“It’s…It’s them!” cried Neville, “They’re here!”

“Who…?” asked Harry confusedly, and then he saw them. Tall, hooded, masked wizards wearing black cloaks and robes, firing curses and jinxes at the frightened students, laughing wickedly as they hit their screaming victim brutally.

“Death Eaters!” cried Ron, grabbing Hermione and pulling her behind him as he pulled out his wand.

“It’s an ambush! They’re outnumbered, though!” exclaimed Hermione; as she tried to push past Ron, pulling out her own wand.

“Like that makes a difference! They’ve got all the students trapped and they’re too frightened to fight back!” cried Ginny, who, like Hermione, was struggling to free herself from behind Harry who had grabbed her and pulled her behind him.

“Quick, get behind me, Gin!” cried Harry as a Death Eater spotted them and started firing spells at them.

Ginny looked insulted. “I can take care of myself, Harry!” she exclaimed as Ron, Neville and Harry deflected the Death Eater’s spells and stunned him at once.

Harry ran into a dark alleyway and motioned for the others to join him.

“What now, Harry?” asked Hermione

“We fight them. They’re outnumbered five to one, but they do have the upper hand with their experience in dueling and the Dark Arts. Neville, I want you to round up as many DA members as you can and lead them into battle-”

“But-”

“I know you can do it, Neville,” said Harry firmly, “Luna, run as quickly as you can back to the Castle and get help. Ron, Hermione- you come with me and we’ll take down as many as we can.”

“What about me?” Ginny asked fiercely

“Stay here, where it’s safe, Gin.” Even as he said it, Harry knew Ginny would not oblige.

“Why? Because I’m too little to fight? Too young? I’m coming with you!”

“Ginny…” protested Ron

“No! I’m fighting, whether you like it or not, Ron! I’m part of the DA, too!”

Harry looked at her furious and determined face just as a loud bang reverberated from the battle scene.

He sighed. “Alright.”

“But Harry-” started Ron

“Neville, go now!” Harry told Neville as the screaming of the students grew louder, and bangs and crashes were heard. Neville gulped, but a determined expression was apparent on his face, as he gripped his wand so hard sparks flew out of it and went off to where Dean Thomas, Michael Corner, Ernie Macmillan, Katie Bell and Lavender Brown were crouched behind a large bush. Luna gazed at Neville before turning to Harry.

“Luna, I want you to try to get inside Honeydukes without being seen. Get in the cellar where you’ll find a trapdoor concealed underneath a few boxes. That trapdoor will open to a tunnel that leads straight into the Castle. Use that tunnel and it’ll safely lead you into the school where you are to warn Professor Dumbledore and any other teacher you see. You understand?”

Luna nodded, and then turned to leave, but Hermione grabbed her arm and stopped her.

“Wait!”

Luna turned to her, a questioning expression on her face. “What?”

Hermione raised her wand, waved a complicated wave, and muttered a spell before pointing it at Luna. As soon as the spell hit Luna, she shivered and slowly her whole body began turning into an imitation of the surroundings behind her, making her look like a human chameleon.

“Brilliant!” cried Ron, patting Hermione on the back, as Luna thanked Hermione and stalked off.

“Disillusionment Charm,” said Harry, “Nice.”

Just then, Dean Thomas came running towards them, breathless and clutching his wand firmly in his hand.

“Harry… we need your help… more… Death Eaters have… come… hurry!” gasped Dean as he struggled to retrieve some air.

“Come on!” yelled Harry as he ran out from the alley and joined the brawl, followed closely by the others.

It was an ugly sight. Hundreds of students were casting spells, curses and jinxes, fighting with all their might against the few, but incredibly strong Death Eaters. Bodies lay still on the cold, hard ground, unconscious, as more and more figures fell on the earth beside them, both of students and Death Eaters. People were running around in between the boarded shops, screaming and shooting curses at their foe. Some students made it into the safety of the shops, where the owners were sneaking as many of the students as they can without being caught. And there, in the midst of it all, stood most, if not all, of the DA members left at Hogwarts, casting as many spells that Harry had taught them the previous year as they can, dodging the Death Eaters’ attempts and taking down as much of them as they can. Over by the Hogs Head door, two Death Eaters were levitating a small, helpless third year girl, as they did at the Quidditch World Cup a couple of years ago. Dennis and Colin Creevey, seeing the poor girl, ran towards the Death Eaters from behind and stupefied them. Dennis shouted triumphantly as the Death Eater fell down, while Colin caught the third year girl. A third Death Eater, seen by neither Dennis nor Colin, came charging towards them.

“Dennis, watch out!” Harry yelled as the Death Eater shot a spell his way, but it was too late; the spell hit Dennis on the back, and he fell on the ground.

The Death Eater cackled and turned his wand on Colin, but Harry was a step ahead of him.

“Petrificus Totalus!” cried Harry, and the Death Eater became cardboard still, falling to the ground as Colin punched him on the face.

“That’s for my brother!”

Neville was taking on five Death Eaters, a hard look on his face, with twelve Gryffindor and Ravenclaw third and fourth years marching in his wake, obeying Neville’s orders and following his example. It was like a new Neville was born; no longer did he stumble, stagger and misaim his spells- he had a determined, resolute and intense expression on his face as he shot spell after spell, and hit Death Eater after Death Eater. He led the little third and fourth years, deflecting spells for them when necessary, shouting orders, and fighting alongside them.

“Impedimenta!” shouted Neville, as a short and stout Death Eater sneaked up behind a third year Ravenclaw. The spell hit its target squarely on the face and he was blasted into the air, landing on a large thorny rose bush. The Death Eater yelped in pain as he tried to get up, but only succeeding in pricking himself in the thorns.

Harry, still amazed at Neville’s heroic courage and impressive leadership skills, jumped as a huge Death Eater came charging towards him, sending stunning spells his way, which Harry reflexively dodged and deflected. Turning his wand on the Death Eater, Harry yelled Stupefy and the spell hit him straight on the chest as he fell on the ground with a satisfyingly loud thump.
Dodging the countless spells sent his way, Harry cast his own defensive jinxes and curses as Death Eaters came storming by.

“Stupefy!” Harry yelled, pointing his wand at an enormous Death Eater who fell immediately on the ground and hit a large stone boulder, causing the fat, unconscious Death Eater’s mask to shift slightly off his face. Harry recognized him instantly as Crabbe’s father.

Ron and Hermione had joined the rest of the DA members, cursing, evading and fighting off as many Death Eaters as they can.

“Hermione, behind you!” cried Ron, as a masked Death Eater cast a green spell her way. Hermione ducked as the spell came whizzing past her, missing her bushy brown hair by inches.

“Thanks!” Hermione said, smiling at Ron, but her smile quickly faded as she saw an enormous Death Eater creeping up behind Ron, “Ron, behind you!” Ron turned around and came face to face with the huge chest of the Death Eater.

“Hello,” said the Death Eater mockingly, “Having fun?”

Ron looked up at the Death Eater’s face and smiled sarcastically at him.

“You bet,” he said and with one mighty thrust of the leg, he kneed the fat Death Eater hard in the groin.

“ARGH!” the Death Eater cried, “Why you little…” Grimacing, he raised his wand at Ron just as two stunning spells hit him on the back and he fell backwards, stunned, on the hard, muddy earth. Ron looked up. Hermione and Harry were standing where the Death Eater once stood, wand raised and grinning.

“Thanks,” said Ron

“Anytime,” said Hermione, smiling at Ron and blushing beetroot red.

A shrill scream echoed behind them. Harry turned around, wand raised, and what he saw made his blood run cold. Ginny was wandless, cornered by a Death Eater double her size. She was screaming in agony as the Death Eater pointed his wand at her, a stream of blinding white light pouring out of it.

Furious and terrified, Harry charged towards them and cast a single spell at the Death Eater.

“STUPEFY!”

The spell hit its mark and the Death Eater fell to the ground, unmoving.

Harry ran towards where Ginny lay, his heart beating wildly in his chest. Please don’t be dead, he thought, please... Reaching her, Harry kneeled beside her and held her up, just as Ron and Hermione came panting beside him.

“Ginny?” asked Harry, shaking her limp form slightly. Ginny moaned and flicked her eyes open.

“Hey, Harry,” she said hoarsely as Harry breathed out a sigh of relief, “you’re lying on my arm”

Harry shifted. “Sorry”

“Are you alright, Gin?” asked Ron anxiously as Harry helped her stand up.

“I’m fine,” replied Ginny, although struggling to stay upright, “thanks to my knight in shining armour, here,” she added, grinning at Harry.

Harry blushed. “Anytime, milady,” he said, just as Ginny’s knees gave way and she fell in Harry’s arms.

“Oops,” said Ginny, looking up at Harry’s emerald green eyes, “I… I fell.”

Harry swallowed as he gazed down at Ginny’s sparkling brown eyes, his gaze trailing down to her soft pink lips. What he wouldn’t give to be able to kiss her at that moment...

“Your eyes have a little grey in them,” said Ginny, grinning up at Harry.

Harry grinned back, tugging loose red hair away from her eyes with the tips of his fingers.

“Ahem. Alright, lovebirds, save it for later, there’s a battle going on,” said Ron, smirking

Harry jumped and straightened Ginny up, averting his eyes from Ron and Hermione’s. He could practically feel their smug smiles right now as he and Ginny fidgeted and turned crimson.

Just then an ear-splitting, thunderous, and bone-chilling roar sounded behind them making all four of them jump in fright. Turning around, Harry saw a huge red beast twice the size of Hagrid with two sharp horns sprouting from its ugly head, and a thorny, whip-like tail. It stood just ten meters away from them, its red, and pupil-less eyes sweeping around malevolently at three laughing Death Eaters and its long, thin, jagged fangs hanging out of its drooling mouth. It gave another deafening roar as its tail whipped around.

Ron yelped. “Bloody hell… it’s-”

“An Earth-Demon!” squealed Hermione, grabbing Ron’s shirt and hiding behind him.

“Come on, Smith need our help!” cried Harry, as the Earth-Demon slashed it’s tail around and grabbed Zacharias Smith- the only student left- by the leg, holding him up upside down, “Ginny, stay here-”

“No, I can fight, Harry!”

“Gin, you can barely stay upright-”

Ginny stood up straight, grabbed her wand from the floor, and stared hard at Harry. “I can do this. Trust me.”

Harry stared back at her, his piercing green eyes meeting sparkling brown ones. “I trust you.”

“Come on, then!” cried Ron and the foursome ran towards the beast.

Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione froze as they took in the sight before them. The Earth-Demon was rearing its ugly head, roaring in triumph, as it crushed, stomped and slashed the three Death Eaters around it. Students were nowhere to be seen. Smith fell on the ground as the monster let go of him and scampered back towards the castle.

“Bloody hell,” yelled Ron, “The ugly great brute’s attacking the Death Eaters!”

“Shut up, Ron! He’ll hear you!” hissed Hermione as she placed her hands over Ron’s gaping mouth.

It was too late. The Earth-Demon turned around and roared loudly, its evil red eyes staring in their direction. Raising their wands and pointing it at the beast, Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny fired spells as one, as the demon slowly trudged towards them, its great ugly body deflecting the spells as if they were small, weightless paper planes.

“It’s not working!” cried Ginny

“Keep trying!” yelled Harry as he rushed forwards and fired all the curses and jinxes he could think of.

The demon raised its huge, gnarled hands and pointed it at the person beside Ron, who was immediately lifted from the ground, rose high into the air, screaming and writhing in pain as the beast curled and twisted his fist, his mouth coiled in a nasty, wicked grin.

“HERMIONE!” yelled Ron, his face white as he furiously fired countless stunning spells at the monster.

“Stupefy! Stupefy! Stupefy! STUPEFY!” yelled Ron hysterically, as Harry and Ginny joined him and as Hermione’s tortured scream grew louder and louder.

“It’s no use!” cried Ginny, watching the stunning spells bounce right off the beast.

Ron, ashen faced, stopped stunning the Earth-Demon. A terrifyingly furious and resolute expression plastered on his face, he walked towards the monster, wand raised.

“Drop her,” he said, his voice deadly quiet

The monster roared and continued on wreaking pain on Hermione.

“Drop her,” he said again, as he kept on walking towards the beast.

“Ron, no!” yelled Harry

Ginny gasped. “Harry, look at his wand!”

Harry glanced at the wand in Ron’s right hand and let out a cry of amazement. It was glowing.

“DROP HER!” yelled Ron, and with a terrifying cry of outrage, he charged towards the beast and plunged his wand deep into the demon’s heart.

The Earth-Demon roared and shrieked in agony as his whole body glowed the same blinding blue colour as Ron’s wand. The beast dropped Hermione, and crouched on the ground, writhing, squirming and thrashing in pain, until with one final ear-splitting roar, it exploded, leaving behind a grey puff of smoke.

Harry ran towards Ron where he was crouched beside Hermione.

“Is she alright?” asked Harry frantically, as he crouched down beside Ron, “Hermione?”

Hermione moaned, opened her eyes and looked up at Ron. “That… was… amazing,” she whispered, stroking Ron’s face and with one last smile, she closed her eyes and knew no more.

“Hermione!” cried Ron, as Harry placed his fingers on her neck, looking for a pulse.

Harry breathed out a sigh of relief. “She’s still alive,” he assured Ron, just as Dean Thomas came running towards them, panting.

“Harry! Ron! Is Hermione ok?” he asked, “The Death Eaters have gone, they’ve disappeared. I think they realized they were too outnumbered. Dumbledore and the other teachers arrived just as the Death Eaters were leaving. They got everyone safely back to the castle- don’t worry, no one died, just a few injuries. Madame Pomfrey says they’ll be fine. I saw what you did to that beast, Ron- it was amazing! Anyway, Flitwick sent me here to look for you guys… Where’s Ginny?”

“What do you mean ‘Where’s Ginny’?” asked Harry, “She’s right behi…”

Harry froze. Ginny wasn’t behind him.

Jumping to his feet, Harry looked around in search for Ginny, running his hand frantically through his hair as his heart thumped wildly in his chest.

“GINNY?” he yelled

Ron gasped. “Harry, over there!” he cried tugging at Harry’s pants from the ground and pointing to a spot just outside the Three Broomsticks. A Death Eater had Ginny by the throat, throttling her as she gasped for air.

“Expelliarmus!” yelled Harry, but in his anger, he missed the Death Eater by several inches.

The Death Eater dropped Ginny in surprise, and she fell on the ground, coughing and spluttering. Looking up, the Death Eater spotted Harry, and when he realized whom he was, he laughed and took off his mask revealing very small, watery eyes, and a rat-like face. His hand was shining and silver and looked remarkably powerful.

It was Wormtail.

“You!” hissed Harry, glaring at Wormtail in disgust.

Wormtail grinned. “Me,” he said and in one swift movement, he grabbed Ginny by the collar and disapparated.

“Nooo!”

Ron jumped to his feet, carrying the unconscious Hermione in his arms.

“Dean, will you take Hermione back to the castle? Take her straight up to Madame Pomfrey! Tell her she’s been attacked by an Earth-Demon,” said Ron, as Dean nodded taking Hermione from Ron’s arms and trudging up the path towards the castle.

Ron ran to where Harry was slumped on the ground.

“Harry? Harry, we’ve got to find her!” said Ron, “where do you think they are?”

Harry stood up, his eyes bloodshot, and turned to face Ron. “The Shrieking Shack.”

Without another word, Harry ran as fast as his legs could carry him towards the ‘haunted’ house, with Ron hurrying along in his wake.

The Shrieking Shack was eerier than usual, with its creaking walls and loose floorboard as Harry and Ron crept through the dust-covered house, illuminated only by their wands. The rickety stairs creaked and groaned from Harry and Ron’s weight as they climbed its grimy steps step by step, taking care to trod carefully for the staircase seemed just about to collapse. His heart beating violently in his chest and fearful that they might not make it in time, Harry reached the top of the stairwell and came across a slightly opened and tattered wooden door, light pouring out of its tiny crack.
Harry glanced sideways at Ron who looked pale and white under the glow of their wands.

“Harry, what if it’s a trap?”

“It always is, isn’t it?” replied Harry.

Turning his back on Ron, Harry faced the worn out door and pushed it wide open.

“Took you long enough, Harry Potter”

“Where’s Ginny?” Harry asked Wormtail fiercely, pointing his wand straight at Pettigrew’s heart.

“Oh, don’t worry; I didn’t kill her… at least, not yet. Not until I’ve had my fun with her… she is a pretty little thing, isn’t she?” taunted Wormtail, gesturing behind him where Ginny lay, weak and exhausted, gasping for breath.

Ron pushed past Harry and pointed his wand at Wormtail. “Don’t you dare!”

Wormtail flexed his silver hand. “Why, master Ronald… how delightful it is to see you again…”

Ron glared at him, raising his wand. “Stupe-”

In one swift movement, Wormtail pointed the palm of his silver hand at Ron and a burst of red light came streaming out of his hand, hitting Ron squarely on the chest. Ron let out a muffled ‘oh’ before falling, head first, onto the dust-covered floor.

“Ron!” Harry cried, before turning to Wormtail, “What did you do to him?”

“Don’t worry, Harry, he is just paralyzed. He can still hear and see us. He was a good master; though perhaps not all the time.”

Ginny moaned, and Harry tried to run towards her, but an invisible force seemed to be holding him back.

“Let me go,” said Harry, as Wormtail pointed his silver hand at Harry, and his wand at Ginny.

“Not until I’ve had my fun…” Wormtail taunted, smirking at Harry

Harry glared at him, breathing rapidly. “You think you’re so powerful with that stupid hand of yours,” said Harry bitterly, “But I know better; you’re nothing but a coward. And that’s all you’ll ever be.”

Pettigrew’s smirk faded. “We’ll see who the coward is,” he hissed as he pointed his wand at Ginny, “Crucio!”

Harry’s insides tore at his heart as he heard Ginny’s screams of pain reverberating around the room, growing louder and louder as Pettigrew drew closer and closer towards her. It was as if Harry felt her agony, her suffering; he wanted to kill Wormtail… to run in front of the curse and end Ginny’s pain, but the only thing holding him back from running to her and murdering Wormtail on the spot was the invisible force Pettigrew laid on him.

“Does it… hurt, little Ginny? Do you want me to… end it for you? Avada-”

The walls shook and vibrated; dust fell from the ceiling and walls as the Shrieking Shack quivered violently as if there was an earthquake. Wormtail dropped his wand in shock and held on to the pole of the worn out four-poster bed.

“What’s happening?” he yelled, looking around wildly before turning to Harry, “You!”

Harry’s anger was beyond measure. His whole body shook as he unleashed a force within him that seemed to take over his body and soul. His eyes were glowing a sickly green, as he broke free from Wormtail’s bind. Wind was circulating around him like an indoor tornado as he focused all his energy on Wormtail; he wanted him to suffer… he wanted to inflict as much pain and hurt on the scum that was the cause of his parent’s deaths… the cause of Ginny’s pain… the cause of his own suffering. Harry’s arms were spread apart on his sides, palms facing forwards, as he felt power surging through his body. His hands were glowing the same sickly green as his eyes as the energy seemed to build up in them, and with one mighty thrust; Harry propelled the force towards Pettigrew. Blinding white light flowed out of his hands as Harry felt the power surge out of his body, hitting Pettigrew directly on the chest.
The whirlwind stopped, the Shrieking Shack grew still and everything became deadly quiet, as Harry’s eyes continued to glow bright green. Ginny crawled weakly beside Ron who seemed to have been released from Wormtail’s spell, and together they lay on the floor, watching.
For a moment nothing seemed to happen, but a moment longer, Pettigrew’s shrieks of pain filled the room echoing around it as his whole body glowed blindingly white. Wormtail writhed and thrashed about in pain, screaming, as his illuminated body lifted off the ground and floated into the air. Harry raised his hand and made a sweeping motion towards Wormtail and in an instant, his screams died down, his body stopped glowing and he fell hard onto the ground where he lay, unmoving.

Ron and Ginny gaped, both weak and exhausted, as Harry glared coldly down at Pettigrew. His eyes have stopped glowing.

No one moved, no one spoke; everything was silent and only the rapid breathing of Ron and Ginny could be heard.

Ron was the first to speak.

“Is he… dead?”

Harry turned to face Ron and Ginny.

“No.”

Ron looked up at Harry. “Then wha-”

“He doesn’t deserve the liberty of death.”

Ron continued to look confusedly at him, waiting for Harry to elaborate.

“He’s just paralyzed,” he told Ron

“What happened, Harry? How… how did you do that thing you… you did?” asked Ginny tentatively

Harry looked at her and swallowed. “I… I don’t know. I guess I kind of… lost control. Of my powers… of my emotions.”

“That was bloody brilliant! You have to teach us that, mate,” said Ron, grinning as he got up from the floor, stumbled a little bit, and helped Ginny get up.

Harry laughed. Even Ginny chuckled a little bit, but her laugh quickly turned into a cry of pain as she lost her balance and fell on the floor. Harry ran to her and carried her in his arms.

“Harry, put me down, I can walk fine by myself,” said Ginny, but Harry did not oblige.

“I’m carrying you back towards the castle, Gin. Then we’re going up to the Hospital Wing. You all right, Ron?”

Ron nodded.

“Yeah, mate. I’ll be fine. We better get going. It’s been one heck of a bloody long day.”

***
Harry gazed at Ginny’s sleeping form, mesmerized as he watched her slow breathing and felt her warm breath escape her soft pink lips. It’s been two days since the attack at Hogsmeade, during which Ginny, Hermione and some other students spent lying in their beds at the Hospital Wing. Harry and Ron visited the two girls as frequently as they could along with Luna and Neville, much to the annoyance of Madame Pomfrey who insisted that Ginny and Hermione needed peace and quiet. Harry told Dumbledore everything that had happened at Hogsmeade the moment they got back from the Shrieking Shack and he was rather surprised at Dumbledore’s lack of shock when Harry informed him of his newfound power…


“…but, sir,” Harry had said, “I… I don’t understand… I didn’t even know I could do… whatever it was I did”

“It’s a wonderful thing, is it not, Harry?” Dumbledore said, his eyes twinkling down at Harry, “to love someone so strongly… so powerfully… that it renders our abilities inexhaustible when our loved one is in need.”

“Sir?”

“Love, Harry. Love. It is a person’s greatest power, greater than the Dark Arts, greater than even magic for it creates a magic of its own. Mr. Weasley’s love for Miss Granger gave him the power to see beyond his fears and defeat that Earth-Demon. Mr. Longbottom’s love for his parents gave him the will and determination to fight back… to fight for the doting parents he lost. And your love, Harry… your love for Miss Weasley gave you that strength… that power… to defend her when she needed you most. It was always there, Harry; that powerful piece of magic was always there… for love is a magic in itself. It is not a weakness to love, as Voldemort believes it so, but a strength. For love is man’s greatest power, Harry. The greatest power of all.”


Even as Harry sat there, watching Ginny slumber, he knew Dumbledore was right. He loved Ginny. He always had. Always will. Yet, loving someone was one thing, but telling them was quite another. Not that Harry didn’t try to tell her how he felt. He had. It’s just whenever he finally got the courage to do it, something or other would always interrupt them. Like the first time tried, the morning after the attack…


“…what’s wrong, Harry?” Ginny had asked when she noticed Harry’s discomfort, as he fidgeted with the edge of her bed sheet.

Harry looked at her. Just do it, Potter, he thought, just say ‘Ginny, I love you.’ It’s as simple as that!

“I… I have to tell you something. Ginny, I-”

And just when he was about to spill the beans- POOF!- Dobby appeared carrying a large tray of food.

“Harry potter, sir! Harry Potter! This is for your Wheezy, Harry Potter! For your Wheezy!”

Harry sighed. “My Wheezy.”

Harry took the tray from Dobby and handed it to Ginny, “Here you go, Wheezy,” he said jokingly, emphasizing on ‘Wheezy’.

Ginny glared at him.


Harry sighed and lightly stroked Ginny’s hair as she slept on. He glanced at his watch; eight pm. Ginny shifted in her sleep and turned her back on Harry. He got an idea.

“Ginny,” he said to the back of her sleeping head, “I know I’m cheating… telling you this when you’re asleep, and all, but you know I’m hopeless when it comes to expressing my emotions…” Harry took a deep breath. “… A friend once told me that you can’t fight love. The more you try to, the more it takes hold of you, until you have no choice but to embrace it. And he was right- you can’t fight it. But to me, there’s always a choice, Gin. Always. Like choosing to love someone, no matter how painful… no matter how hopeless it can sometimes seem. Because that’s what love is- joy as well as pain… laughter as well as sorrow” Harry took a deep breath. “What I’m trying to tell you, Ginny, is that I choose you. I choose to love you. Not because I’m forced to, and not because I can’t help it- but because I want to… I want to love you… No, I need to love you, Gin. Seeing you hurt like that… at Hogsmeade… Gin, it was more than I could stand. I couldn’t bear the thought of losing you… of living a life without you.” Harry sighed. “I’m a coward, Gin. I should be telling you this when you’re awake… I guess I’m just scared, is all. That you might not feel the same. That perhaps Hermione was right and you really have given up on me…”

“I will never give up on you, Harry.”

Harry froze.

Ginny sat up and turned to face him, a strange expression plastered on her face, her eyes glistening.

“Five years, Harry. Five years, and now you tell me this? Tell me, Harry- is this some kind of sick joke?”

Harry spluttered. “What? No! Of course not!”

“You love me, Harry?”

Harry opened his mouth, but no sound came out.

“Harry?”

Harry swallowed. “Ginny… I would fight three million Voldemorts just to get to you,” he whispered.

“I take it that’s a yes?” asked Ginny, grinning.

“It’s a hell yes, Gin”

Ginny laughed. “Okay.”

Harry raised his eyebrows. “Er…Okay? Okay as in you love me, too, or okay as in you don’t love me, you’ve given up on me and now you’re going to be avoiding me for the rest of your life? Ginny?”

Ginny laughed. “Okay as in okay.”

Harry let out a sigh of exasperation. “Gin, I feel like an id-” But whatever it was Harry felt like, Ginny never found out for she had placed her lips firmly on Harry’s mouth, kissing him with a hunger he alone could satisfy… a thirst he alone could quench. So this is what it feels like, thought Harry, to have all your dreams come true in one breathtaking moment… This is it; this is right. Harry deepened the kiss as Ginny wrapped her arms around him, her hand playing with his hair and his hand gently caressing her face. After what seemed like a heavenly lifetime, their need for oxygen became apparent and they broke apart.

“I… that… I… wow,” said Harry breathlessly and he leaned down and kissed her once again, this time harder and more passionate than the first as Harry fell on the bed on top of her, holding her and stroking her hair as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

“Ahem.”

Harry and Ginny jumped and broke apart. Ron was standing by the doorway followed by a slightly healthier looking Hermione. Both had smug smiles on their faces.

“That’s my sister, Potter!” said Ron in mock outrage.

“And that’s my sister, Weasley,” said Harry staring pointedly at where Ron and Hermione’s hands were intertwined and raising his eyebrow at Ron.

Ron laughed. “We’re going out,” he said sheepishly

“Finally,” said Ginny

“If that’s alright with you, mate?” Ron asked Harry tentatively.

Harry grinned. “You don’t need my blessing, Ron.”

“I know. But I’d like to have it all the same,” said Ron grinning back at Harry

Harry looked at Hermione, who was looking very touched and teary, and then back at Ron.

“Just don’t hurt her, mate. She’s like a sister to me.”

That was all it took; Hermione burst out crying and ran to Harry, throwing her arms around him as she sobbed on his shoulder.

“Oh, Harry! That w-was so s-sweet!”

Harry and Ginny laughed as Ron pried Hermione from Harry, handing her a tissue and patting her arm affectionately.

Ron turned to Harry. “I’ll never hurt her, mate. And you,” he said, pointing a finger at Harry, “You break Ginny’s heart and I won’t even hesitate to make you wish you were dead. Even if you’re my best mate.”

Ginny rolled her eyes, Harry grinned and nodded, and Hermione made a noise that sounded like a mixture of a sob and a laugh.

“What’s going on here?” said a stern and slightly hysterical voice from the doorway, “Miss Granger! You shouldn’t be out of bed! Go back to your bed this instant! Come on then, out!”

Harry and Ginny restrained their laughter as Madame Pomfrey shooed Hermione out and led her back to her bed, with Ron tagging along behind them. Ginny turned to Harry, a blazed look fixed on her face.

“I love you, Harry”

Harry gazed down at Ginny, his emerald green eyes piercing into her sparkling brown ones. He smirked.

“Okay.”


Reviews 40
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear