Search:

SIYE Time:13:21 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Solemn Journey
By spiderwolf

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: Death
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 13
Summary: Ginny rides gets on the train for her 6th year and thinks back on the times she had with Harry. Two endings, one happy and one not.
Hitcount: Story Total: 2997







ChapterPrinter


The train moved slowly up to the station where hundreds of family huddled together. Ginny watched it silently, her eyes swimming with tears for what felt like the millionth time this summer. What had used to be a joyous event now reminded her too much of... she forced herself to check over her baggage as a distraction.

Everything reminded her of Harry. She would burst into tears anytime his name was mentioned. Even seeing Ron or Hermione reminded her too much of earlier times. Happier times.

Hermione noticed Ginny's tears as she moved to pick up her own trunk. She and Ron had to be very careful about showing any kind of affection around Ginny recently. Hermione didn't want to add to her despair. She missed Harry too, everyone did, but she could not imagine how much pain Ginny felt. She was about to say something, to make an attempt at a comforting statement, but Ginny had started off for the train.

She darted past some fellow 6th years and pushed through a throng of other students before they had a chance to say anything. She moved with purpose, knowing exactly which cabin that she attempt to, no, that she *would get*. As Ginny neared the cabin that she and Harry had shared with the slug club she saw another student sliding open the door. Without a second thought she yelled out a hex that threw the intruder backwards into everyone else trying to move down the cramped hallway. Ginny did not seem to care about the block-up she had caused and quietly moved into the cabin and slid the door shut.

Sitting in the seat that Harry had occupied at this time last year Ginny gazed solemnly out the window. For the first time in months she allowed herself to look back on all the happy memories they had shared. That first kiss in-front of their entire house after the Quidditch match, lying in his arms next to the lake, chasing each other on their brooms high above the stadium, and countless more. She let her tears fall freely then, gliding down her cheeks and falling onto the crumpled piece of paper.

In her hands Ginny clutched one of the many notes they had written to each other during class. She knew them all by heart of course, but seeing his hand writing... there was a sudden knock on the door and it slid open slightly as Nevill stuck his head through.

"Ummm, hi Ginny... I was wondering if I could sit in here... if you don't mind..."

She threw him a look he would never forget.

"Oh... I'm, uhh, sorry... I'll just, I'll just go now." Nevill said as he rather hastily closed the door. Ginny just unfolded a different note and went back to her memories. She had made it through 2 more notes before the train lurched, signaling their departure.

Ginny looked out the window to watch the station fall away and be replaced by the rolling country hills. She had always loved this part of the trip, the elation it had given her, knowing that they were finally on their way to Hogwarts. But on this day she barely noticed.

/* -----[ Sad Ending ] --------------- */
As she gazed out at the country side 3 wizards drifted into sight, flying alongside the train on their brooms. For a fleeting second she thought she say Harry. In that second she had sprung up off the seat and lunged for the window, hair streaming in the wind. When she looked closer it became apparent it was only Tonks, looking rather sullen and sporting dark hair and a Hogwarts robe like Harry's.

The realization it wasn't him struck hard. She had adamantly believed it was him, that he had come back to welcome her back to the school. Ginny sank to her knees sobbing. Her fears screamed around her in an overwhelming cacophony.

Where was Harry? Why hadn't he tried to contact her? Didn't he love her? Was he dead?

She couldn't escape them. She couldn't take it. She couldn't stand it anymore. Ginny slowly drew the knife out of her bag.

Ron heard Hermione's scream from three train cars away. Rushing down the hallway he pushed aside several first years intent on the lunch cart. He crossed the second car in a sprint. Not Hermione, no... not after Harry. Fear growing in him steadily as he bolted through the last car between them.

Ron bursted through the adjoining door and rushed up to Hermione who lay shaking in the hallway.

"Hermione, are you alright? What, what happened?" Ron questioned hurriedly. She was sobbing so much she could hardly breath let alone speak, instead she shakily raised one hand and pointed into the compartment across from where she lay. Its door lay slightly ajar, as if someone had fainted part way through opening it.

Ron couldn't get a proper view of the room. He could see one of the seats, covered in crumpled up paper, and the floor, something read on the floor. Ron reached out slowly, worried about some monster prepared to leap out at him. What he found was much worse.

As the door slid open he saw a girl lying sidelong in her own blood, facing the window. It took him a second to realize who it was. Rod let out a horrified yell,

"Ginny! No... Ginny wake up, please Ginny... Bloody hell, bloody hell..." He tried to think of one of the many healing spells he had been taught but nothing was coming to mind. He couldn't think of anything. Ron slumped back on the ground and started to sob. He had failed at the one time it had really mattered, the one time someone needed him.

He and Hermione managed to crawl to each other. They lay in each others arms, unable to talk. Their tears would not stop flowing. Ginny Weasely lay dead 3 feet away.

/* -----[ Happy Ending ]--------------- */
Ginny sat and stared out the window for a long time. She saw the Aurors riding their brooms along side the train. They were in a strange looping patrol around each car, coming by her window about every 20 minutes. On one pass she thought she caught a fleeting glimpse of Harry, but put it off as her eyes playing tricks on her.

She had gone back to reading the notes when there was a soft knock on the door. She instantly yelled towards it,

"Nevill, I don't want you to sit with me alright? And I don't care if you can't find another seat. This room is... its full, go away."

"Ummm, last time I checked, my name wasn't Nevill. I'm disappointed that its full though... I was hoping I'd get some time alone with this very special girl. You see, I've come a long way to see her." Replied a soft voice teasingly. Ginny blinked away her tears. It couldn't be... was it really him? Her shock only lasted a second before she was scrambling to get through the door, to get back to the place she felt safe, the place she had thought she had lost.

And then his arms were around her once again. The pair just held each other, crying not tears of sorrow, but of profound joy. Harry ended the moment by moving away slightly and gently pushing her chin upwards so their lips met lightly. As they kissed they moved slowly into the room, Ginny sliding the door closed behind them.
Reviews 13
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear