A Happy Easter by Sasha



Summary: ***Joint winner of the People's Choice Award for the Easter Holidays challenge***Ron gets injured so Harry and Ginny get to spend some time alone at Easter. Written for the Easter Holiday Challenge
Rating: G starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Easter Holiday Challenge (2020-1), Easter Holiday Challenge (2020-1)
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2020.05.23
Updated: 2020.05.23


A Happy Easter by Sasha
Chapter 1: Chapter 1
Author's Notes:

It was a welcome relief when the Easter holidays started as Harry had been swamped with work and was glad for the relief that being free of classes brought. He was staying at Hogwarts for the holidays as were Ron, Hermione, and Ginny as Mr and Mrs Weasley had gone to Romania to see Charlie who had been injured by a dragon. It was a running joke between he and Ron that it had probably been Norberta who’d injured him, although Hermione had voted for the Hungarian Horntail.

About two thirds of the school population had gone home for the holidays so the great castle was quiet and the four of them spent the first few days of the holidays sitting under the shade of a big tree (thankfully not another Whomping Willow) near the lake on warm days, and lounging around in the common room in front of the fire when it was wet and windy.

After the first few days of just enjoying the holiday, Hermione began to badger them about completing the homework they’d been assigned for the holiday, much to Ron’s chargrain.

“Leave off, Hermione,” he mumbled around a massive mouthful of food one lunchtime. “We can do it later.”

“No, Ronald, I really think we ought to be getting it done, especially practising the Transfiguration charms for the essay Professor McGonagall set us. I know you - you’ll end up leaving everything to last minute and then expecting to copy off me, well I won’t let you, you need to do it for yourself,” she exclaimed.

Harry and Ginny exchanged an amused glance at the pair as it was nothing they hadn’t heard before. He laughed as Ginny rolled her eyes at Ron’s quick nod of the head to appease her.

“When are they going to realise they’re nuts for each other?” he whispered in Ginny’s ear.

“I think they already know and arguing is like some weird kind of foreplay to them,” she whispered back, causing him to choke on his sandwich.

Ginny laughed and thumped him on the back, sending a tantalising waft of something flowery his way.

“I don’t know what you two are laughing at,” said Hermione, rounding on them, “You’ve got just as much work to do, Harry, and it’s Ginny’s OWL year so she really ought to be getting some work done too, instead of us all just lounging around!”

**

Two hours later and Harry, Ginny, and Hermione were anxiously waiting in the hospital wing for Madam Pomfrey to return with news of Ron. They’d been practising Transfiguration in an empty classroom when Ron had somehow managed to transfigure his own arm into a wing. Ron had seen the funny side and promptly started flapping his wing which had unfortunately caused him to start moulting feathers all over the place.

Getting him up the the hospital wing had proved an interesting challenge as they’d left a trail of red feathers in their wake which had gained a few curious looks from the students still in the castle. Luckily they’d had to foresight to drape a cloak over him so news of his wings hadn’t spread just yet…they hoped. Harry could just imagine the field day that the Slytherin’s would have with the information.

Finally, after what seemed like an age Madam Pomfrey opened the door to the hospital wing. “You may see Mr Weasley now,” she said, stepping back to allow them to enter.

“Is he ok?” asked Hermione anxiously, “I’ll never forgive myself for making him practise now.”

“Mr Weasley will be fine,” answered Madam Pomfrey, “but he will require a week’s stay in the hospital wing as it seems that his wing need to finish moulting before his arm can be restored.”

“Oh, thank goodness he’s going to be ok,” she said as she rushed over to Ron’s bed to promptly throw her arms around his neck. “I’m so sorry I made you do the Transfiguration,” she mumbled against him.

Ron patted her on the back and it was clear to see his glee at their current position. “It’s fine, Hermione,” he said, “no harm done, and it wasn’t your fault as I wanted to do it.”

Harry and Ginny exchanged a smirk at his words. Honestly, he was smitten.

“Wait til I tell the twins about this,” said Ginny as they reached his bed. “They don’t need to give you Canary Creams now as you’re half way there already.”

“Oh ha ha,” retorted Ron, waving his wing at her, “you’re hilarious.”

“Thanks, mate,” said Harry, brushing away the feathers that had landed on him.

“Hold still, Harry,” said Ginny, rising up onto her tip toes and reaching up to his head. “You’ve got a feather in your hair.”

“Thanks, Ginny,” he said, trying to ignore the tingling warm feeling of her arm brushing his shoulder as she removed the feather. He’d realised quite quickly over the course of the school year that he was completely attracted to Ginny, but was at a loss as to what to do about it as he didn’t want to lose her or Ron’s friendship.

They stayed with Ron for another hour before heading down to the Great Hall for something to eat, with Hermione promising to return to see him before they returned to Gryffindor tower for the night.

**

The next day found Harry and Ginny alone together after visiting Ron as Hermione had decided to stay with him and keep him company for the day.

“I wonder if keeping him company involves kissing him better,” chortled Ginny as they walked out through the huge oak doors into the spring sunlight.

“Somehow I don’t think he’d complain if it does,” replied Harry.

“Hmm, you’re right there. He might finally pull his head out of his arse and ask her out while she’s spending time up there alone with him.”

“Yeah, I reckon we should give them plenty of time alone then.”

Ginny spun to face him and started walking backwards instead. “Why, Mr Potter, are you conspiring to get my brother and Hermione together?” she asked, her eyes twinkling with mirth.

“I might be,” he replied. “Aren’t you?”

“Too bloody right I am. They might give us some peace if they’re snogging instead of arguing.”

She almost walked backwards into a tree branch and Harry deftly reached out and steered her round it, pulling her closer to him in the process. They stopped walking and Harry caught another waft of her flowery scent. He suddenly realised just how close they were and swallowed hard. “Careful there,” he said thickly, unable to comprehend any other words while stood that close to her.

Ginny seemed to be affected by the moment to as she stared up at him and he could have sworn she leant a fraction closer. Just when he was about to do something, like quite possibly kiss her, the moment was lost as they were hailed by Hagrid coming up the path towards them.

**

After spending a good part of the day with Hagrid Harry was quite certain that he was going to have to do something about his feelings for Ginny quite soon as spending time with her and without Ron’s constant hovering was beginning to make him feel like it was torture to be so close yet only be her friend and that perhaps Ron’s time in the hospital wing could be the making of two relationships.

“Do you think they’ve snogged yet?” asked Ginny as they made their way back up to the hospital wing later that day.

Harry swallowed hard at the mention of snogging and couldn’t help but think back to his near kiss with Ginny that morning. “Hope so,” he mumbled with the crazy thought that Ron might be happy for he and Ginny to be a couple if he himself was finally with Hermione.

Ginny nudged him as they walked in and they saw Hermione holding Ron’s good hand and then them quickly let go when they noticed their arrival.

“Hi Ron, Hermione,” said Harry as he sat on the chair at the opposite side of the bed.

“What have you been up to today then, dear brother?” asked Ginny, as she perched on the arm of Harry’s chair.

Ron raised his eyebrows at his sister’s choice of seat and Harry felt himself go red as he tried to ignore Ron’s scrutiny and the closeness of Ginny. “I could ask you the same question.”

“We’ve been with Hagrid,” she replied. “We’re starving though - his rock cakes are inedible.”

“And what else have you done?”

“Went for a walk. I thought we might go flying tomorrow, pity you don’t have two wings as you’d be able to join us then,” she smirked.

“Why, you-”

“Mr Weasley, I’ve asked you already to keep that arm still as you keep getting feathers everywhere!” exclaimed Madam Pomfrey, hurrying over and brandishing her wand.

**

As agreed, Harry and Ginny went flying the next day. It was bliss to just fly without the need to worry about Quiddich practice and strategies and for several hours they just chased each other around the Quiddich pitch and then over the grounds of Hogwarts. Harry even allowed Ginny to have a go on his Firebolt, while he followed her lazily on her Cleansweep. And if his eyes occasionally strayed to her backside then it was because they had a mind of their own, not because she was constantly on his mind every second of the day and night.

Finally, Ginny landed near the lake and he landed next to her. Her hair was windswept and fiery strands had escaped their braid to cross her face. Unbidden, his had reached out and gently tucked them behind her ear. Her breath hitched in her throat as she looked into his eyes.

He wasn’t sure who moved first, but before he knew if their lips had met in a passionate kiss. They could have stood there for several minutes, or even several sunlit days, he didn’t know, but he did know that when they finally broke apart they were both breathless.

“Wow, I didn’t expect that,” she said softly.

He opened his mouth to apologise but she put a finger to his lips. “Don’t apologise. I said I didn’t expect it, not that I didn’t want it or like it. I liked it very much,” she added.

“You did?” he breathed.

She nodded and removed her finger from his lips. “Yes, and I’d very much like to do it again.”

That was all the confirmation that he needed to close the gap between them and claim his lips with her again. The second time was better than the first, if even possible, he decided.

**

It was much later in the day when they finally walked back up the castle hand in hand with their brooms over their shoulders and large grins on their faces.

They put their brooms away and made their way up to the hospital wing where it was no surprise to find Hermione with Ron again.

Ron was quick to spot Harry and Ginny holding hands and he narrowed his eyes. “What’s going on?” he asked.

“Harry and I are together,” said Ginny, before Harry even had chance to open his mouth.

“Since when?”

“Since today. Have you got a problem with it?” Ginny squeezed Harry’s hand reassuringly as she spoke.

Ron considered the question for a moment before he shook his head. “No, I can’t think of anyone better for you,” he admitted.

“Thanks, mate,” said Harry.

“Don’t you have news of your own, anyway, Ron?”

“What do you mean?” he asked, going red.

“Well you and Hermione are together now, aren’t you?”

Ron opened and closed his mouth a couple of times.

“Close your mouth, Ron, you’re catching flies,” teased Ginny.

“How did you guess?” asked Hermione, now openly clutching Ron’s hand.

“You’re not as subtle as you think,” said Harry with a smile.

“Are you ok with it?” she asked.

“Course we are,” he replied, “but,” he warned Ron, “treat her right as she’s the sister I never had.”

“Oh, Harry,” said Hermione, launching herself at him in a hug, “thank you.”

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=130437