Will He Return? by annkaro



Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated in over 2 years ***

Harry has started his research on the Horcruxes along with Ron and Hermione. Ginny stayed at the Burrow but the helplessness will make her go find Harry. Harry has found the last Horcrux and the last battle with Voldemort is about to begin. Ginny's worried...will he return?
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarstar
Categories: Post-HBP
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2006.09.30
Updated: 2007.02.07


Will He Return? by annkaro
Chapter 3: CHAPTER III: Not a little girl anymore
Author's Notes:

WILL HE RETURN?
CHAPTER III: Not a little girl anymore


Under normal circumstances, I would’ve been excited about Christmas fast approaching, but the war changed all that. We still hadn’t heard from Harry, Ron, or Hermione and I was too anxious to enjoy the gifts, the tree, the mistletow, the food or the snow. Before we knew it, Christmas had passed.

Eight months had passed since the three had left the Burrow, and we still had no news. By February, the Ministry was in chaos; the Minster tried to pretend that all was well and that we had nothing to worry about, but we knew better.

Everyone was scared. No one knew what was happening and many feared they would never see their family return from work. Nobody wanted to leave their house or their gardens; partly from fear, but mostly because it was always cold, rainy, and overcast out.

The Burrow seemed motionless. Everything seemed to pass in slow-motion; there was never any news, and nothing to do. The hours passed slowly and painfully.

Valentine’s Day approached, a day supposed to be happy and full of love. Under normal circumstances, Harry, Ron, Hermione and I could enjoy the holiday together; maybe by a fire sipping on hot chocolate, exchanging gifts (this time around I wouldn’t send Harry a stupid valentine like the one I did my first year; I can’t believe I did that!) and laughing. So long as we were together. But there was the war….

Fleur was always in tears, although she always wiped them away when either mum or I noticed. She was concerned about Bill; he hadn’t fully recovered but he still was helping dad at the Ministry and in the Order. She tried so many times to convince Bill that she would help in the Order; but Bill always resolutely refused. When they argued I understood where she was coming from; she didn’t want to be excluded from Bill’s life anymore than I wanted to be excluded from Harry’s.

Mum wept a lot too. She was worried about dad, all my brothers, including Percy, and especially Ron. We never knew where he was, but the clock always warned us when he was in mortal danger. She was worried about Hermione and Harry; they had been such a part of the family for so long.

Harry’s been a part of the family since his first visit in the Burrow the summer before my first year. I admit I was hopeless around him at the time; I couldn’t even talk to him and I blushed profusely whenever he was around. But since our first meeting, I felt a special connection with him. I couldn’t describe it then and I certainly can’t now. All I know is that despite my efforst to move on with Michael and then with Dean, I realized the connection was growing. Whenever I’m near him, I can feel if something’s wrong; if he’s happy or sad or whatnot; I just know how he feels and what he needs. I don’t know, maybe I’m still hopeless.

Hermione was different. She became my best friend and the sister I never had. She was what I needed and I was what she needed; a confident. She truly is my sister. She helped me a lot; she gave me advice and helped me to be myself around Harry. There’s a reason she’s his best friend; she knows him through and through.

Since the day of their departure, I never cried again; I felt the need of keep my strength for them, but I can’t deny that I was scared, awfully scared.

***

There they were, whispering in the kitchen. Why did they do that? Why did they leave me out every time they talked about Harry, Ron, and Hermione? Did they think I wasn’t aware of what they were talking about? Did they think I wasn’t old enough to be part of that, to understand the seriousness of the situation? I was tired; tired of being treated like a little girl, tired of them trying to hide things from me. I knew they wanted to protect me, but hiding the truth from me wasn’t the solution.

Their voices were almost inaudible, but I heard perfectly the last thing dad said: “...They found the last one.” Mum started to cry as soon as she heard that and I knew the reason; I knew dad was talking about the last Horcrux. That meant that next they would have to confront him; or rather, Harry would have to confront him.

An intense fear ran throughout my whole body; the moment had arrived, the moment that I dreaded; the possibility that I wouldn’t be able to see or talk to them again. I wouldn’t be able to tell them how much I love them; I wouldn’t be able to tell him how much I love him. I wouldn’t see Harry’s smile, I wouldn’t look into his eyes, I wouldn’t feel his hand on mine, and I wouldn’t be in his arms. Worse, I wouldn’t get to see him enjoy the life that he deserves.

I slammed the door so hard that mum almost fell out of her chair.

“Ginny! What...”

“Where are they?!” I cut mum off before she could say anything else.

“Ginny, dear, calm down please...”

“I don’t want calm down!” I yelled at dad “Where are they?” I was breathing hard.

“Who?” asked mum as though she didn’t know what I was talking about.

“Please mum, you know perfectly who I’m talking about! Where are they?” I said slowly.

Neither said anything for a while. I just stood there waiting for their answers, looking back and forth between them. I was upset, I knew it wasn’t their fault, but in that moment I didn’t care.

“All right” said dad with a long sigh.

“But Arthur!” protested mom with tears in her eyes. “She’s just a child”

“No Molly,” said dad placing his hand on her shoulder. “I know it’s hard to accept it, but it’s the truth. She’s not a little girl anymore, she has a right to know; Ron, Hermione and...Harry” he said with a slight smile. Mom just nodded slightly while she wiped her tears away.

It took him hours to explain everything. I was both amazed and terrified to everything they’d had to do; they had went through a lot. I didn’t know whether dad told me everything or not, especially when it came to injuries, but he did answer all of my questions which made me feel a part of what was happening at last.


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=12130