A New Beginning by amblewat



Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated in over 2 years ***

Albus Dumbledore is dead and the wizarding world is at a crossroads. Harry Potter is right in the middle. He knows he has to destroy Voldemort but he cannot do it alone. He needs the help of his two best friends Ron and Hermione. To complicate things he still has feelings for Ginny. Go with Harry on his next great adventure. Love, friendship, determination, and bravery; will it be enough to destroy Voldemort once and for all? Disclaimer: JK Rowling owns Harry Potter and I look forward to the seventh book immensely.
Rating: R starstarstarstarstar
Categories: Post-HBP
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2007.02.01
Updated: 2007.03.09


A New Beginning by amblewat
Chapter 1: Chapter 1
Author's Notes:

Chapter 1: A Visit of Love and Revenge

Harry Potter was asleep in his bed at Number 4 Privet Drive when he was awakened by a ‘tap, tap, tap’. His heart pounding, he turned towards the noise. A large screech owl was at the window, waiting to enter. Harry let the owl in; it dropped a paper in his lap and promptly took off.

Harry unfolded the paper and cast an eye over it. His jaw dropped when he saw the headline:

Harry Potter Finds True Love
A Daily Prophet Exclusive by Rita Skeeter

Harry Potter, the Boy-Who-Lived, has found his true love at Hogwarts. According to two close friends, Mr Potter has been dating Ginny Weasley. “I haven’t seen him this happy in 2 years,” said a fellow Gryffindor. “You can see how much they love each other.”


Harry read the rest and, truly irritated, threw down the paper just as his door flew open.

“Get your lazy bum out of bed!” Vernon Dursley bellowed in through the doorway. “We’re going to my company breakfast, so no funny business while we’re out! Cut the grass, trim the bushes, and weed the flowerbeds!” Before Harry had a chance to answer, Vernon had slammed the door.

Grumbling about the early hour, Harry rolled out of bed and put on his glasses. He pulled on some work clothes and went downstairs, grabbing a slice of toast before going outside. He pulled the mower out of the shed and set to work mowing the grass.

The tedious work gave Harry a chance to collect his thoughts. Damn that Skeeter woman! Now Ginny was a target. Even if they did try to deny it, who would believe it? Especially Voldemort, who was after all a Legilimens. His mind still racing, Harry finished the grass in record time before turning his hand to weeding the garden.

By the time he was finished with the weeds the sun was blazing hot — and it wasn’t even noon yet!

He peeled off his shirt and hung it on the fence, then went to the shed for the clipping shears and started trimming the bushes. It was a job that he found surprisingly satisfying, but what he really wanted was to talk to Ginny. This last week had been so lonely; with their separation and Dumbledore’s death, he found himself depressed and with a tendency to get angry at the drop of a hat — not that the Dursleys cared or even noticed.

Ginny, on the other hand, would know. Better yet, she would understand. She understood him so well it scared him sometimes. He didn’t really want to break up with her to begin with; he just wanted to protect her. Then mid clip on a particularly high shrub he realised… he loved her. His mind was reeling. Love was his strength. His heart saved him from Lord Voldemort’s possession at the Department of Mysteries. His mother’s love saved him from death. His power was love! His strength was his heart. It couldn’t be that simple, his brain was saying, but his heart was saying… oh yes it can. You finally figured it out.

Harry was shaking, and had to lean against the fence for support. For once he was able to understand, and his emotions overwhelmed him. Taking a deep breath he looked up into the blazing sky.
“I love you, Ginny,” he whispered. “I hope you know that.”

*

Ginny Weasley fell, face first, out of Miss Figg’s fireplace. She was determined to be the first person to talk to Harry after this article; when the paper arrived it had been like a punch in the gut, yet somehow at the same time a relief. This brought feelings out in the open. Now that their relationship was public knowledge, Harry’s excuse of wanting to protect her would no longer fly. God, she thought, he must be furious right now. And so confused! She hated that for him. She wanted him to be happy. But she knew he wasn’t… at least not at the moment. He was probably worried sick, not to mention emotional.

She picked up the pace. It was so hot out here. Ginny was grateful that she was wearing white, As she walked up Privet Drive, she looked at her watch; ten AM.
I hope he’s awake… she thought, stepping up to the door of Number 4. She was about to ring the bell when she heard a snipping sound from the back garden. Puzzled, she followed the noise. When she turned the corner her mouth fell open. She saw Harry leaning against the fence, breathing hard and staring up at the sky. Ginny checked her mouth for drool. He looked amazing. She licked her lips nervously. What was he doing? Resting, probably; he seemed rather hot and bothered, not to mention tired. He also seemed to be shaking. Concern immediately began to well up in her. Oh god, is he hurt?

He looked up at the sky and said, “I love you, Ginny. I hope you know that.”

Her eyes filled with tears. He was thinking about her! What had happened? The next time she saw that Sketter woman, she would make sure that leeks came out of her ears for a week! It would serve her right for putting Harry through this! Then his words hit her. He loves me!

That is when he looked over and saw her. Their eyes met.

*

“GINNY!”

He was surprised, but so happy to see her. She was wearing a sleeveless white sundress that reached just above her knees. She looked like an angel standing there, her hair shimmering in the morning sun. He dropped the shears and met her half way. When they were close enough to touch, Harry became all too aware of his sweaty body. Life just isn’t fair sometimes Harry thought.

Ginny seemed to be thinking the same thing, but there was a determined aura around her similar to when he had kissed her in front of everyone in the Common Room.

She threw her arms around his neck and pulled him against her. Their lips met in a passionate kiss. Harry lost all coherent thought except for the woman in his arms. He pulled her tight against him and their tongues explored. They didn’t break the kiss until air became essential

He pulled away first. “Hi.”

Ginny smiled. “Hi yourself.”

He kissed her again and said, “I was just thinking about you.”

“Really? And what were you thinking?”

Harry smiled down at her. “About what a stupid prat I was, and how much I love you.”

Ginny kissed him softly. “You weren’t a prat. I’ll give you stupid, but you weren’t a prat at all. I love you too. Anyway, why are you out here in this heat?”

Harry grabbed his shirt and wiped his chest. “I’m doing the chores my uncle wanted me to do — I don’t want to make him angry at me.”

“Are you done?” Ginny asked.

“As a matter of fact, yes,” Harry nodded.

“Well then, why don’t you get cleaned up?” Ginny said. “Then maybe we can go to Miss Figg’s or the Burrow for the rest of the afternoon.”

They walked into the house hand and hand. Harry opened the door and they walked in. Ginny took in the house as they went. It was very clean. Too clean.

She followed Harry up the stairs. His room, she noted, was very small; in fact, Ginny thought, it would probably be more appropriate as an office. Harry dropped to his knees and started rummaging through his school trunk. A moment later he pulled out his invisibility cloak.

“I want this handy in case my relatives come home before we leave,” he explained. “No need to get their knickers in a twist.”

Ginny giggled.

“No problem.”

Harry went to his dresser and pulled out a pair of black jeans, a blue t-shirt, socks and boxers. “I’ll be out in a few minutes,” he said, slinging them over his arm.

“Isn’t the bathroom down the hall?” Ginny asked, frowning.

Harry chuckled.

“Yeah, there is one down the hall, but I’ve been told to use this one. It connects my room with Dudley’s. I’m sure when I leave this’ll become his second room again.”

Ginny narrowed her eyes but said nothing, instead settling on the bed and reaching for his photo album. Flipping through it, she found a picture of Harry’s parents twirling around in the autumn leaves. Wow, she thought, he really does look like his father. But, she noted, he has his mother’s eyes. She had known this before, of course, but seeing the pictures made it even more poignant for her.

A car door slamming outside brought her out of her reverie. She looked out of the window and saw the Dursleys marching up the path. She grabbed the cloak and, wrapping it around herself, watched the scene below. Vernon Dursley, she considered, looked like a tub of lard; big, fat and porky. Ginny watched as the neighbour called to them over the garden fence. They talked for a few minutes; Ginny watched as Vernon turned red, Petunia pursed her lips, and Dudley’s face lit up like a Christmas Tree. Uh-oh! What the hell? She glanced anxiously at the bathroom door. Somehow she knew that this was going to be bad, and managed to get to the corner between the door and the wardrobe just as Harry’s bedroom door slammed open. Much to Ginny’s surprise Harry’s Uncle barged, unceremoniously, straight into the bathroom.

*

Harry stood under the shower, humming to himself. He was in a pretty decent mood for once; it was amazing what Ginny could do. He was just rinsing off when the bathroom door opened with a bang and the shower curtain ripped open.

“BOY!”

Harry was too shocked to be embarrassed. “Yes, Uncle Vernon?” he bit

Vernon’s eyes were narrowed to slits as he pointed angrily out through the door. “OUT! NOW! ROOM!”

Quite perplexed, Harry turned off the water. His uncle, however, must not have thought he was moving fast enough, because the next thing Harry knew his uncle had grabbed him by the left arm and yanked him out of the shower. He felt a sharp stab of pain and heard a sickening pop as he felt his shoulder snap out of its socket.

The force bounced Harry off the wall next to the door. He could not stop his momentum, and bumped into Vernon, who angrily shoved him out the door into his bedroom. Vernon came out like a raging bull, but this time Harry was ready. Vernon tried to kick him, but he rolled away, and tried grabbing his duvet off the bed with his bad arm. But he couldn’t hold onto it and hold his wand. So Harry stood there with his wand drawn.

“What is it, Uncle Vernon?” Harry demanded, breathing hard and levelling his wand without bothering to mask his annoyance.

“You can’t do magic outside school!”

“I can when I’m defending myself!” Harry yelled. “Now what’s eating you?”

“I’ll tell you what,” Vernon bellowed. “Mrs Potts from next door said that a girl came over while you were working outside! And after I specifically told you that none of your freaky friends could come here! And furthermore, you were kissing her without a shirt on! I won’t have you scandalising the neighbourhood and ruining our good name, boy!

Harry rolled his eyes. “Uncle Vernon, I am not going to have complete control over who comes over to see me. But in case you haven’t noticed, no one else is here!”

“Don’t get clever with me boy! You’ll stay in this room until Hell freezes over!” He slammed the door; a moment later, Harry heard the locks click. As Vernon pounded down the stairs, Harry heard him yell, “Petunia, dear, are you ready to go to the market?”

Harry, still damp from his shower, stood there speechless. He barely even registered the front door slamming and the car pulling away.

Ginny threw off the cloak and ran to his side. Her gaze fell on his shoulder.

“That looks pretty painful.”

At her voice, Harry finally came to his senses. He realised that his girlfriend was standing in his room and he was wearing nothing. He grabbed the duvet and blushed furiously. Ginny was polite enough not to say anything. She kissed his cheek and went into the bathroom. She returned with his towel and clothes.

“Here,” she said gently. “I’ll let you get dressed.”

Harry kissed her softly. “Thanks. I’m sorry about this.”

“Don’t be sorry. You can’t help that he is such a bloody wanker.” She sat down at his desk and faced the window to give him some privacy.

Harry pulled on his boxers and jeans as carefully as he could. The shirt, however, became a problem.

“Damn.”

Ginny looked over her shoulder to assure herself that he was decent before standing and walking over to him with a frown.

“Harry, that probably won’t work with your shoulder as it is.” She hurried to his wardrobe and peered inside. She found a sage green button-down shirt and pulled it out.

“Thanks,” Harry nodded, reaching for it but finding that Ginny was already slipping the shirt on for him. She started with the injured arm, then the other before buttoning the shirt and leaving the top button undone. Then she nudged him gently to the bed and used his pillow case to immobilise his arm.

“There,” she said. “That should keep you from injuring it any more until someone can heal it. Does it hurt a lot?”

“Not really,” Harry replied.

Ginny glanced over at him and asked gently, “Does he get angry like this often?”

Harry contemplated his response. He didn’t want to lie to her, but he was oddly ashamed of the truth as well. Uncle Vernon did everything he could to make his life miserable, and that included regular beatings. Granted, since Harry had started at Hogwarts they had decreased dramatically, but still every now and then Vernon’s temper boiled over.

“He has got a lot better about his temper. The problem is, when he does get angry it’s…”

“…pretty violent,” Ginny finished.

Harry nodded. He couldn’t look at her at the moment.

Then it suddenly dawned on him that they were both locked into this room for Merlin knew how long; the Weasleys were going to be worried.

“Ginny, do your parents know you are here?”

Ginny smiled.

“I left them a note, but if I’m not back by dinner I’m sure they’ll come looking for me.”

“We don’t have to tell them about…” Harry groaned.

“Harry, you’re hurt. Mum’s going to want to know why.”

Hedwig chose that moment to fly in through the window. She saw Ginny and hooted approvingly.

“Well,” Harry sighed, “I don’t want your parents to worry. Why don’t we send a note to Remus? He can come and get you out.”

“Alright,” Ginny agreed, “but I’m not leaving this house without you, and without hexing your uncle into next year.”

*

Remus Lupin was helping Nymphadora Tonks with her roses when Hedwig flew over to them.

“Good afternoon, Hedwig,” he smiled. Hedwig hooted and stuck out her leg revealing a couple of notes. Remus untied them with a smile and unrolled them while Hedwig bobbed up and down and waited patiently.

,Dear Remus,

This is kind of awkward but… I need a little assistance. My relatives have locked me in my room again. My uncle and I had a bit of a row.. What they didn’t know was that Ginny came over this morning after reading the Daily Prophet article so that we could talk. She was hiding under my invisibility cloak, while my uncle yelled at me. He left and now since we are both under age we are kind of stuck. And I don’t feel like telling Mrs Weasley that her daughter was locked in a young man’s room for ANY period of time.

Thanks,

Harry


Remus chuckled. That could be interesting. He put the piece of parchment aside and opened the second note; it had been scribbled in haste, but was clearly from Ginny.

Remus,

What Harry hasn’t told you is that his uncle has pulled his arm out of his socket! Can you bring someone who can heal that please? I know he’s in a lot of pain and is too proud to admit it! I will tell you how it happened when you get here.

Ginny


Remus’ expression quickly changed to one of anger. “Dora!”

Tonks hurried outside. “What is it? You sound livid.”

He handed her the notes and her face set. “Well, lets go and show those Muggles who’s boss.”

*

Ginny was sitting against the wall and Harry was lying with his head in her lap. They were both content to just sit there enjoying each other’s company; Harry had even started to doze off. Ginny had been running her fingers through his hair, occasionally leaning down to kiss him. Suddenly, two loud pops got their attention.

“Remus! And Tonks, thanks for coming to help!” Ginny exclaimed with a relieved smile.

Remus nodded briefly at her, then went to the door and muttered an incantation under his breath. The door blasted off its hinges and smashed into the wall, clouds of plaster dust swirling around it. Harry paled.

“Um, Remus…”

Remus turned around. “You aren’t staying here another minute. I’m taking you to the Burrow, and I don’t give a damn about either the door or the wall.”

Tonks nodded firmly in agreement. “Now, off with the shirt.”

“What?” Harry asked incredulously.

“NOW!” Ginny ordered.

Harry sighed and unbuttoned his shirt. Tonks looked at his shoulder for a few minutes, then nodded.

“This is definitely uncomfortable.” She waved her wand, and Harry yelped as a ‘POP’ heralded his shoulder’s return to its socket. Tonks then muttered a analgesic charm. “There, all done. Shoulder dislocations are a very common Auror injury. Madame Pomprey may have to mop up a bit.”

Ginny handed him the t-shirt he had been planning to wear. “Here. You heard them, we’re leaving.”

“So, what happened?” Remus asked pointedly.

Harry turned red, and started to say he hurt it during his gardening. Ginny quickly became angry, however.

“You didn’t hurt it in the garden, Harry! Oh, don’t be embarrassed,” she scolded, rolling her eyes. “I have six older brothers, and I’ve seen them all naked. It isn’t a big deal! Your uncle pulled you out of the shower and pushed you out through the door! He was screaming at you, just because I gave you a kiss in the bloody garden!”

Harry was about to reply, but the sound of the front door opening got his attention. Ginny’s eyes narrowed to, slits but she defiantly put her arms around Harry. Just let him try to say anything! she thought furiously.

The Dursleys came upstairs, and were stunned to find the four of them there. Vernon gathered himself, turning red, and started to yell, “I told you…”

Ginny lost it. She grabbed her wand and muttered loudly, causing bat bogeys to attack Vernon’s face. “Told him what? That no freaks could be here? You’re the freak, Dursley, an obnoxious, abusive Freak!”

Then she wheeled on Petunia, who had been shrieking loudly.

“Langlock!” Ginny yelled; Petunia immediately started gagging. “You shut up!” Ginny yelled at her. “You’re Lily’s sister! You should be ashamed of how you’ve treated Harry! He didn’t deserve to lose his parents, and he didn’t deserve to be mistreated by you, his mother’s own sister!”

Dudley’s eyes were full of fear, and he appeared to be frozen to the spot. Ginny glared at him and snapped, “What do you want, you pig-headed buffoon?”

The word pig got Dudley’s attention. He started to run down the stairs, but Ginny flicked her wand and his trousers fell down to his ankles. His ankles locked, he stumbled and crashed to the floor. He grabbed his buttocks, lumbered clumsily to his feet, and ran for the front door.

Harry, Remus, and Tonks were laughing hysterically. Ginny was clutching her wand and breathing heavily. Harry collected himself and put his hands on her shoulders.

“Ginny, you realize that you’re going to get into so much trouble?”

Ginny looked up. “Nope, because I’ll tell Dad everything and he’ll fix it. Besides… you’re worth it. That felt really good!”

Harry kissed her for a moment and smiled. “At least now I know not to upset you.”

Ginny giggled but then turned serious. “There’s only one way to make me really mad,” she said.

“What’s that?” Harry asked.

“Leave without saying goodbye,” Ginny told him plainly. “I know you’re going to go after Voldemort, and Mum won’t let me go with you as I’m not of age. But you will say goodbye, Harry.”

Harry pulled her into his arms. “I promise.”

While this exchange had been going on, Tonks and Remus had been packing Harry’s things. Remus spoke up, pulling Harry back.

“Lets get you to the Burrow. I’m sure Hermione and the Weasleys are dying to see you.”

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=12507