Ginny Weasley and the Bat Bogey Hex by lilyevans_Jan30



Summary: NOW COMPLETE - What do a prank by Fred and George, Luna Lovegood and a jar full of dirt, an enchanted diary, and way too many snakes and spiders have in common? Erm, I'm not sure, but they all made appearances during Ginny's first week at Hogwarts. And in the middle of it all, Harry and Ginny find out that being friends is a lot better than being embarrassed. Written for the "First Week" Challenge (2008 -2)
Rating: PG starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: First Week Challenge (2008-2)
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 2008.04.03
Updated: 2008.04.18


Index

Chapter 1: Ginny Plus Harry Equals Love
Chapter 2: Tom Speaks
Chapter 3: Guilt, Understanding, Friendship, Hexes


Chapter 1: Ginny Plus Harry Equals Love

Author's Notes: Ever wonder where Ginny learned it?
As I posted in my comment to this challenge, when I started thinking about a plot, I realized that by not having Harry and Ron fly to school, and by having Harry befriend Ginny that first day, pretty much everything else in the rest of the book, and even the series, was at risk of unraveling. No need to write in the diary about how Harry ignores her, no opening of the chamber, no Spiders, no Hagrid being absolved and becoming a teacher, no Buckbeak, no saving Sirius, and on and on. Can’t let that happen, now can we?

This is chapter one of what will be a (most likely) two chapter story.

FYI: I subscribe to the school of Harry/Ginny writing that when they are eleven or twelve years old, they should act accordingly. No love connection here. Not even a little. Sorry.


“AHHHHHH!! Bloody Hell!!! Muuuummmmm!!!!!”

Harry would have been immediately jerked awake by the sound of the distressed and distinctly female voice screeching several floors below him, had he not already been awake, laying in bed and listening to Ron snore. And thinking about Hogwarts. He was so excited to be going back today that he had barely slept all night. Given the ruckus that seemed to be brewing downstairs, it seemed that trying to get any more sleep this morning would be futile anyway.

The screaming was only getting louder.

“LOOK!!! LOOK at what they did!! Do you See this?? I am going to KILL Them!! Mum! You have to do something before . . . before he sees all this! Oh, Merlin, what if it won’t come out????”

This sounded interesting. Obviously, it was Ginny doing the screaming, she being the only female aside from Mrs. Weasley in the house. It was the most — not to mention the loudest — that Harry had heard her speak since he had arrived at the Burrow a month earlier. Usually around him she kept her head down, blushed, ran out of the room as often as possible, and squeaked her reply the few times he had asked her a direct question. Oh, and there had been that incident with the butter dish.

Harry was rather bewildered by Ginny’s behavior, particularly because Ron, Fred and George assured him that she was acting in a way that was far from normal — for her at least. They said she couldn’t shut up, normally. He just couldn’t believe that anyone, let alone an eleven-year-old wizard girl with six older brothers, could have such a, well, was crush the right word? Okay, crush, on HIM, a scrawny, poorly dressed boy with only a year of magical experience and no memory of the thing that supposedly made him one of the most famous wizards in the world.

His first up close experience with any girl had been less than a year ago, after he became friends with Hermione. She was the opposite of what Ginny appeared to be: Hermione was authoritative, organized, brilliant, trustworthy, learning to love a certain sense of adventure and rule-breaking, loyal, and quite unaffected by emotion or what Harry thought of as “mushy girl stuff”. On second thought, Harry revised the last in his head, remembering their Charms class the previous year, right before the incident with the troll. But that had been quite an acceptable display of tears, after all, Ron had been a right prat. But Hermione had never acted anything like Ginny, even before Harry and Ron got to know her, and then, to like her. She may have studied him the way she poured over her beloved Hogwarts, A History, but giggle and blush? Never.

“FRED!!!! GEORGE!!!” There was no doubt in Harry’s mind who was yelling now. “GET DOWN HERE THIS INSTANT!”

Harry stopped, halfway down the stairs from Ron’s room, wondering if it might be better if he just went back upstairs. To hide for a while. Like until Christmas. But his stomach gave an impatient growl and anyway, they had to leave for King’s Cross sometime this morning. Lazing around could have the unfortunate side affect of focusing some of Mrs. Weasley’s ire on him. Not that it needed focusing elsewhere, right now. She was on a right roll, and as Harry hit the second floor landing outside what had to be Ginny’s room, he could see why.

The door to the room was emblazoned with shiny green paint that sparkled and popped while proclaiming in foot high letters “Headquarters of the Harry Potter Fan Club.” Smaller letters below this added “Ginny Weasley, Founder and President.” Through the half open door, Harry could see Ginny wringing her hands as she pointed out to her mum various things around the room, a look of both horror and outrage on her face. At least, Harry assumed it was Ginny. Her face, hair, and all other areas of exposed skin Harry could see — namely her arms and legs — seemed to be covered in writing. He drew closer to the open door and peered at her. The writing all seemed to be about . . . oh, Merlin. About him. And how dreamy he apparently was. And how his eyes sparkled like gems. And, oh Merlin again. Some of the writing actually said “Mrs. Ginny Potter. Ginny Weasley Potter. Mr. and Mrs. Harry and Ginny Potter.”

She wanted to marry him? He was only twelve!!! She was eleven! No one should want to marry anyone when they were twelve or eleven. No one should even be thinking such things. Yikes.

Harry didn’t realize he had been edging slowly into the room to look at the writing more closely until the voices suddenly stopped and two sets of eyes stared at Harry. Ginny shrieked, and the bit of skin on her face that was not already covered in shiny green writing was suddenly bright red as she dove under the covers of her bed, which, Harry now saw, was also covered in writing announcing his wonderfulness. And so were most of the other items in the room — Ginny’s half-open trunk and its contents, the mirror over her desk (which was also sighing dreamily and in a sing-song voice saying “Harry Potter, he’s my man, if he can’t do it, no one can!”) and the posters on her walls.

Harry gulped. This could not be good.

He jumped a bit as Mrs. Weasley gave him an exasperated smile and yelled at the ceiling, “FRED! GEORGE! I MEAN IT!! NOW!!!!”

A minute later, the twin faces of Ginny’s older brothers appeared in the doorway, identical masks of innocence. At least until they caught sight of the room.

“Blimey, it really worked . . . I mean, Blimey, what happened here?” one of them murmured, as looks of glee crept unbidden over both faces.

“You know full well what happened here.” Mrs. Weasley was not to be fooled or trifled with. “I cannot believe you two. On your sister’s very first day of school?? What were you thinking? On second thought, I don’t care what you were thinking, if you were thinking at all. Now, Fix It!”

Ginny dared to peek her graffitied face out from under her blanket. “Starting with my face!!!” she wailed at the twins.

“Whoa!!!! How did that happen?” Suddenly, Harry suspected that even Fred and George were surprised by Ginny’s appearance.

“What do you mean?” Mrs. Weasely’s eyes had gotten scarily narrow and dark.

“Honest mum, we didn’t mean to . . .”

“Really. We just planned on the sign on the door . . .”

“And the walls . . .”

“And her bed . . .”

“Not her trunk . . . “

“Or her skin . . .”

“Charm must have transferred to her body and trunk while she slept.”

“Interesting application, don’t you think?”

“Quite. The possibilities are intriguing. . .”

“I don’t care what you intended, just get it off me!!!”

Both Fred and George suddenly looked nervous.

“Ummm . . .”

“Well . . .”

“WHAT???”

“We can’t,” both chimed in unison.

“Can’t?” Harry didn’t know who looked angrier, Ginny or her mum.

“It’s got to wear off, we think,” said George (or was it Fred?) “Ordinary cleansing spells have not worked in our tests, so far.”

Ginny buried her head back in her pillow and began to sob.

“But, there may be another way,” said Fred (or was it George?) hastily.

“Yes?” Mrs. Weasley was definitely not in the mood for games.

“Well, Harry, as the subject of the spell, may be able to remove it. If he uses the right combination of incantations and charms, combined with certain cleaning products.” The twins, Mrs. Weasley and Ginny all stared at Harry.

“Me???” Harry spoke to the room at large. Until then, he wasn’t sure they had realized he was still there.

“It’s the only possibility,” said Fred. “Let me go get your wand — still in Ron’s room?” Fred darted out before Harry could say another word.

“Right, and, umm, I think I have a list of most of the spells in my room,” followed George, running out after his brother.

Mrs. Weasley sighed. “Since I don’t trust those boys any farther than I can throw them, I’ll see if I can’t mix up a solution that will at least take the words off your face.” She patted Ginny on the head and walked to the door. “Do what you can, Harry dear. Hopefully the twins are right.”

“And if they aren’t??” cried Ginny from the bed.

“You don’t want to know,” said her mother grimly as she exited the room.

Harry looked awkwardly at Ginny. The situation would have been uncomfortable in any event, given how she had been acting around him all summer, but add to that the fact that anywhere his eyes rested, he was reminded of his “boyish good looks” and “shy demeanor that covered up a deep, sensitive nature,” it was practically unbearable. But it had to be a million times worse for Ginny.

Taking a deep breath, Harry said the first thing that popped into his head.

“I almost had to go to school with my head half shaved, once.” Inwardly, he cringed. Now he was probably going to have to talk about the Dursleys. He assumed she knew the basics, after all, it was no secret that Ron and the twins had rescued him from being locked in his room all summer, but now he would probably have to tell her more. And she would probably start feeling sorry for him. And that would make her just think mushy thoughts about taking care of him or something. He tried to think of some way to deflect his comment when she spoke.

“What do you mean, almost?”

Hmmm, maybe he could skirt around the issue of the Dursleys.

“Well, ummm, I got a really bad haircut once. I mean, it looked like half my hair had fallen out and the other half had been plucked at by an owl who was trying to make a nest.”

Small smile from Ginny.

“And, well, umm, I went to sleep totally dreading going to school the next day with my crazy haircut, and when I woke up, it had all grown back. Overnight. It was like magic.” Harry grinned wryly. “I guess it was magic. I just didn’t know it at the time.”

Ginny frowned. “But I’ve never done magic in my sleep before. And anyway, we have to leave for King’s Cross in less than two hours!” She blushed again as she looked down at her lap. “I guess we have to do what the twins said,” she mumbled. “I mean, I guess you do. If you will” She looked at Harry in the face for the first time. “Will you?”

“Umm, I guess so. But I don’t even know what to do. I, umm, don’t know that much magic. Nothing like this.”

Ginny frowned again. “Let’s hope the twins do, then.”

An hour and a half later, Harry had succeeded in finally vanishing the words and hearts and smiley faces from Ginny’s face. There was still a faint green tinge about her, but the twins assured Ginny it would fade within a day or two. It had been quite embarrassing for Harry; the spells George and Fred gave him only seemed to work if he was really close to the area of her face he was trying to clear, and he kept having to peer at her cheeks and lips and nose from a distance of only a few inches. He had been so self conscious at first, with the entire Weasley family watching, that he couldn’t get any of the spells to work right until everyone left the two of them alone. It didn’t help that Ginny remained bright red almost the entire time; each of them had made excuses in the first ten minutes to rush to the bathroom to brush their teeth, and once Harry’s stomach growled loudly that Ginny flinched, causing Harry to just miss ramming his wand into her eye. . .

Finally they could not wait any longer to leave for the station. With Ginny wearing long sleeves and pants and Mrs. Weasley shoving toast into Harry’s hands because he had missed breakfast, the group piled into Mr. Weasley’s Ford Anglia, which had been magically expanded to fit them all comfortably. At least, most of them. Fred and George seemed to be walking rather gingerly as they approached the car, and neither was quite keen on sitting down in the back seat. But at last, they were off.

Once at King’s Cross, their goodbyes were rather hurried and anxious; Ginny’s trunk was covered in Harry Potter love notes and she obviously could not wait to get it on the train away from prying eyes and start trying to get rid of the remainder of the green words that still covered her arms, legs, and things. Fred and George obviously felt guilty because they organized a huddle of Weasleys, Harry, and Hermione around their sister and her trunk until both were safely stowed in an empty compartment. After locking the door and pulling the curtain, everyone gathered anxiously around Harry as he again pulled out his wand and began muttering the numerous spells that were needed to erase the markings, bit by tiresome bit.

They didn’t work.

Harry frowned. He was certain he was repeating the incantations in the right order; after all, he had had nearly two hours of practice with them back at the Burrow. After another try proved similarly fruitless, George snapped his fingers.

“You two have to be alone!” he announced.

“What?” both Harry and Ginny looked at him.

“Remember, the spells didn’t work at home either, when we were all there. Must be part of the charm. We’ll have to remember that, Fred. Come on, everyone. Give them some privacy. Good luck, mate, you have about eight hours until we get to school.”

Before Harry or Ginny could even say a word, everyone filed out of the compartment and Harry heard the lock click. He couldn’t blame them. The thought of spending eight hours cooped up in the compartment casting spells on an embarrassed and angry Ginny Weasley would be no one’s idea of a good time. Harry had been looking forward to buying too much food off the cart and playing a lot of exploding snap with Ron while they caught up with friends they had not seen over the summer. Instead, he sighed, pulled out his wand, and began muttering charms.

“You don’t have to look so upset, this is not my idea of how to spend my first ride on the Hogwarts Express either.” Ginny looked like she was about to cry.

Some of Harry’s annoyance evaporated. This wasn’t Ginny’s fault. Well, maybe just a little, since it was her silly crush that gave Fred and George the idea in the first place, but really, they had been quite out of line.

“I know,” he sighed, leaning towards her. “Could you, uhh, pull up your sleeve?”

He worked in near silence for a few minutes, the only sound was the words of the spells he was casting. While working on a particularly dark patch of letters on her thumb, she suddenly asked him, “So, you had no idea that you were a wizard until a year ago?”

Harry looked up at her. There was no malice or teasing in her voice, just shyness and some frank curiosity.

“No. I kept doing weird or unusual things, like growing back my hair or making the glass on a snake’s cage at the zoo disappear, but I had no idea why. It made my aunt and uncle super mad though. Probably because they knew what it meant and they didn’t like it.”

“They knew and they didn’t tell you that you were a wizard?” Ginny was amazed.

Harry snorted. “They didn’t tell me anything, unless it was telling me to make breakfast or prune the hedges. And they constantly told me that there was no such thing as magic. Until I got my Hogwarts letter I lived in a cupboard underneath their staircase. I guess they hoped they could grind the magic out of me by keeping me locked up as much as possible and not giving me the chance to find out for myself just what I was able to do.”

Ginny stared. “What about your parents? Didn’t they tell you about them?”

“No.” Harry spoke more shortly than he intended. “Just that they were good-for-nothing and died in a car crash and not to ask questions.”

Ginny looked stricken, and Harry softened a bit. Again, it wasn’t her fault.

“Look, until I met your brother, I never knew that families could actually like each other. I had never been in a house where people cared what happened to you.” He smiled. “Even if it was just to yell at you for stealing a flying car or something.”

Almost to herself, Ginny muttered, “You’re nothing like I thought you would be.”

Harry moved to her other arm. “How did you think I would be?”

Ginny blushed. “Umm, well, I have been hearing stories about you since I was little. Almost all kids in the wizarding world grow up hearing about the wonderful Harry Potter, the wizard who is so powerful that he vanquished You Know Who when he was only a baby. So, well, I always kind of imagined that you were really strong, and brave, and daring, but . . .” here Ginny stopped, her face turning even more red, if possible.

“Go on,” said Harry. He was fascinated despite himself.

Ginny looked away from him as she spoke, the words tumbling out one after another as if she had been waiting her whole life to say them. Which, Harry considered, she probably had.

“Well, my brothers were always getting on my case because I was the youngest, and the only girl, and not at school yet, and the twins loved to prank me and Ron would get on me so that the twins wouldn’t prank him, and Bill and Charlie, well they treated me like a baby because I was so much younger, and I kind of always imagined, ummm, that if I met you, you would be on my side, and you would come in, wand blazing, and, I don’t know, make them all be nicer to me or something. And we could all hang out together, like friends, and play Quidditch and just have fun and stuff.” Her voice dropped. “And then, of course, Ron goes and becomes your best mate before I even have a chance to meet you properly, and then when you finally show up at the Burrow, you already think my brothers are great and I am too shy to speak.”

This was a lot for Harry to take in. He was quiet for a moment as he contemplated Ginny’s arms. “I think I can move onto your legs, what do you think?"

Ginny rolled up her pants leg; luckily the writing seemed to be confined to her knee and below.

After a minute, Harry spoke again. “So, after you met me, you obviously realized that I was not the way you imagined. And yet you kept running away from me and refusing to talk, and putting your elbow in the butter dish. Why?”

“Embarrassed, I guess. Ron and the twins kept making fun of me and my stupid crush, and I didn’t know what they had told you, and I was mad at myself for thinking that anything would change, just because I had met you.” She paused. “Don’t get me wrong, I do love my brothers. They can be really fun, and funny, and even helpful sometimes. Occasionally. But this . . .” she spread her arms out to take in the Harry Potter covered trunk, “this is definitely crossing the line.”

“Tell me about it,” said Harry. His legs were stiff from squatting down in front of Ginny to work on the multiple “Harry and Ginny 4-ever”s that covered her shins. Something about spending hours staring at hundreds of proclamations of love between him and Ginny had taken away a lot of their shock value. He looked up at her and asked a question he probably would not have dared in other circumstances. “Does it matter? That I am not the person you had envisioned?”

Ginny colored for a moment. “You must think I am really silly. Falling in love with a story. And now that I have met you, I can see that you are nice, and decent, and fun, and, well . . .” She seemed to steel herself before taking a deep breath and when she looked up, Harry saw, to his surprise, the faintest beginnings of a smirk behind her eyes. “I don’t know how powerful you are, but you sure have mastered a wide range of cleaning and scouring charms, so I suppose you are good for something, even if its not getting my brothers to let me play Quidditch with them.”

Harry looked down at Ginny’s now clean legs. He grinned and stood up, wincing only a bit when his knees cracked. “I am also good at eating, if you want to take a break before I get started on your things.”

“Now that, I would enjoy.”

While they ate the sandwiches Mrs. Weasley had packed, Ginny told Harry about some of Fred and George’s other pranks. “They turned Ron’s teddy bear into a spider once, that’s why he is terrified of them now. And they levitated Percy’s quill and made it and a piece of parchment follow him around making ridiculous lists and then checking things off, like ‘go to the loo, Check, put on left sock, Check, admit I am too uptight, Check.” She giggled. “They haven’t done much to Bill or Charlie, no surprise. I guess it was just my time.” She sighed. “I have to get them back.” She looked at Harry. “And you have to help me.”

“What, do you think I’m crazy? Prank the master pranksters? No way.”

“Oh, come on, Harry. They deserve it. Besides, you may be next on their list of targets.”

“Especially if they know I am thinking of getting them back.”

“Come on,” Ginny cajoled. “It could be fun.”

Harry was about to decline again when the lock clicked and the door to the compartment swung open. Fred (or was it George?) poked his head in.

“What, you two are not done yet? Harry, have you even started on our sister’s arms?”

“Harry was indignant. “What do you mean? I just spent two hours on her arms and legs — they are perfectly clean . . .” But as Harry looked back at Ginny, he realized with horror that words were beginning to reappear on the first places he had charmed. Ginny gave a shriek and rounded on Fred.

“The spells you gave Harry are not permanent???? I will kill you!!!!”

She lunged at her brother who jumped back and tossed a bag at Harry. Backing up out the door he called. “Just rub that over the skin you have already cleaned. Three times. For about five minutes each time. Should make the erasure permanent. So sorry, we thought we told you!!” Cackling, he ducked out of the door and just missed being hit by Ginny’s shoe as she lobbed it at him.

Harry looked in the bag at the pale blue eraser he was supposed to rub all over Ginny. It smelled unpleasantly of cooked liver. He looked at Ginny.

“Okay. I’m in.”

Ginny grinned at him. “I knew I could get you to see things my way. Now we just have to figure out what to do to them.”

Suddenly, the door to the compartment opened again. Instead of one of the twins, it was a small girl with long, somewhat tangled, dirty-blonde hair. She smiled vaguely in Harry and Ginny’s direction and then walked calmly into the compartment, carrying what looked like a large bell jar full of dirt. She sat down on one of the seats and smiled down at the jar, humming tunelessly to herself.

Harry and Ginny looked at each other, too stunned for a moment to say a word. Suddenly the girl spoke to Ginny. “Are you in love with Harry Potter?”

“What??”

“Harry Potter. The boy who defeated You-Know-Who by throwing his toy broomstick at him. The tail was full of straw fleegies, you know. You-Know-Who was deathly allergic.”

Harry shook off his surprise and spoke up. Somewhat indignantly, he said to this strange girl, “Umm, I’m Harry Potter, and I did nothing of the sort. No one know why Voldemort disappeared when he tried to kill me. It definitely wasn’t anything I did.”

“It was his mum, who protected him,” broke in Ginny. After their earlier conversation, she understood why Harry would be upset to hear yet another false tale of his defeat of the Dark Wizard. In return, Harry gave her a grateful smile.

The girl was unfazed. She looked unblinkingly at Harry. “Well, if you are Harry Potter, then you should know that this girl is in love with you. And her trunk is too, I think.”

“We know that,” said Harry. "We have been in here for hours, trying to get the trunk to not be in love with me. I have to do a bunch of spells, and then rub everything with this . . . eraser thing. A little bit at a time. It takes forever.”

“Why don’t you just throw some Ubiquida Powder into the air while you say the spells? It should cover everything at once.”

“Some what??”

The girl indicated the jar of dirt she was carrying. "We harvest it near our home. It grows especially well under radish vines." She pulled the top off the cap and took out a handful of the brown powder. A cloud of dust rose up, making Ginny cough. “Are you ready? I will toss it in the air and you say the spell.”

“Ummm, I don’t think . . .”

It was too late. The girl threw the powder towards the ceiling of the compartment where it caught a breeze from the window and began to swirl around. Ginny closed her eyes and began beating her arms around her head, trying to get the dust out of her face. For lack of any other idea, Harry took up his wand and choked out the spells Fred and George had taught him, “Eraseasum, Obliteratus Totalus, Turpintiendum!!”

To Harry and Ginny’s utter amazement, when the powder finally settled a couple of minutes later, everything was utterly clean. There was not even a hint of greenish tinge on Ginny’s skin or her things.

With considerably more charity in his voice, Harry turned to the girl. “Wow. Thanks. It was really slow the other way.”

“That was fun,” said the girl. "Shall I do it again?”

“No!” Harry and Ginny both cried out. Ginny looked at the girl. “I’m Ginny Weasley, by the way. Thanks for that. We have been trying to clean all this up for hours.”

“I’m Luna Lovegood. Next time, maybe you shouldn’t paint all your things and your skin in the first place. It is better to let love develop naturally, instead of proclaiming it to the world like that."

Ginny opened her mouth as if to say something, and then closed it again. Harry looked at both girls.

“Right, well, since, umm, everything seems to be good here, I am just going to find Ron and Hermione. Umm, see you later, Ginny, nice to meet you, uhh, Luna.” Harry had his hand on the door when Ginny said, “Hey! I thought you were going to help me prank the twins!”

“Prank? What kind of prank? Pranks are not always very nice, you know.” Luna spoke to both of them unblinkingly.

“I know that,” said Ginny. “That is why were are going to try to get back at my prats of brothers who painted all my stuff, and me, green.”

“Well, that is much better then,” said Luna approvingly. “A nose for a nose, right?”

“Uhh, right.”

Ginny sighed and looked at Harry. “We don’t have much time now, anyway. I guess it can wait until tomorrow.” She frowned. “But we probably won’t see much of each other since we are in different years. And if I am not sorted into Gryffindor . . .” Her eyes grew wide at the thought and Harry saw worry reflected in them.

“Don’t worry, Ginny. There is no way you could be in anything but Gryffindor.”

She smiled her thanks and then rummaged in her trunk, finally pulling out an old black book.

“Here, take this. It’s a diary or something. I think my mum picked it up for me in Diagon Alley when we were shopping for our books. I haven’t written in it yet. Try to come up with ideas for a prank, and then you can pass it back to me between classes, and I can write my ideas back to you. That way, no one will get suspicious. Especially the twins.”

Harry looked at the book in his hands. Like everything else the Weasley’s owned, it was somewhat tattered and distinctly second-hand. He flipped through it, expecting to see that at least a couple of pages had been filled in by the previous owner. But it was completely empty.

“Okay,” He said. “I will try to think of something good. I, umm, better go change into my robes now.”

Ginny nodded. As Harry made to leave the compartment, she suddenly looked up.

“Harry?”

“Yeah??”

“Thanks.”

Harry smiled at her. A real smile that she was able to return without blushing.

“No problem. It actually was not that horrible of a ride, after all.”


A/N - So, a pretty long set up considering I only have one more chapter. Should be a lot of action in that one, I think.

Before I get a lot of messages telling me I messed up, the erasing spells Harry was doing would not work if the original spell casters (Fred and George) were around. It did not matter if anyone else was there, but no one knew that.

Back to index


Chapter 2: Tom Speaks

Author's Notes: So, I lied. There is going to be one more, fairly short chapter to wind everything up and give meaning to the title of the story. I apologize to the judges for the fact that the story is over 10,000 words - I had more to say than I thought. It shouldn't be too much longer than that, though.

This has been a fun challenge - trying to create a story that fits the guidelines but still makes everything turn out according to canon in the end.

I have a very specific theory about what happened to Harry and Ginny in the bathroom, which will be explained in Chapter three, but hopefully many of you will be able to figure it out on your own here. Oh, and for those of you who asked, the next Chapter of Taking the Train is almost complete.


In the excitement of finally arriving at Hogwarts, Harry forgot all about his promise to help Ginny. While listening to Harry tell him and Hermione about what had happened while they rode a horseless carriage up to the castle, Ron looked almost disappointed to hear how well the Ubiquida powder had cleaned Ginny and her things.

“Mum already sent Fred and George one Howler on the train — I think that sets a record for the earliest they have ever gotten one. I was hoping she would send another if you couldn’t get all the paint off.”

When it came time for the sorting, Harry felt an unusual flutter in his stomach that he could not identify. It was only when Ron muttered, “Ginny better be in Gryffindor or mum’ll kill all of us,” that Harry realized he was also nervous. Despite his assurances to her on the train, he couldn’t help but wonder what the hat would do. She was a girl, maybe Weasley girls went somewhere different than the boys.

Harry need not have worried. The hat had barely touched Ginny’s head when it shouted out “Gryffindor, of course! That is where Weasleys belong!”

As Ginny joined her brothers at the table amid cheers and the appearance of the feast, Harry managed to catch her eye and give her a thumbs up. He could see, to his relief, that the lettering had not reappeared on her face. But his relief was nothing compared to the looks of Fred and George. They still did not seem to be sitting comfortably, but at least no Howlers appeared for the rest of the meal.

September 2

The entire next day was filled with classes, unpacking, and getting reacquainted with friends. A notice for the first Quidditch practice went up in the Gryffindor common room and Harry could not wait to get back on his broom. It wasn’t until dinner, when Ginny asked him, a bit too casually, if he had done any interesting writing, that Harry remembered the diary and that he was supposed to be coming up with a plan to prank the twins.

She looked so hopefully at Harry that he didn’t have the heart to say no, so that night, while most of his housemates were hanging out in the common room, he stayed in his dorm and took out the old black diary. Dipping his quill in a pot of ink, he opened the book and wrote on the first page, “Ideas to prank Fred and George.”

The ink shimmered for a moment on the page, and then disappeared, sinking right into the paper. Almost immediately, new words, in handwriting different than Harry’s, appeared:

“Who are Fred and George?”

Harry was not as surprised at the diary’s behavior as he might otherwise have been; a year in the magical world had taught him not to be too shocked by things such as clocks that told you where your family members were, mirrors that critiqued your hair, or diaries that wrote back. Perhaps if he had been a little more experienced with magic he might have been more wary, but to him, the diary seemed like just another fascinating thing about being a wizard. He responded eagerly.

“They are the twin brothers of my friend Ginny. Well, they are my best mate Ron’s brothers too. They pranked Ginny something awful on the first day of school by writing . . .” here, Harry paused for a moment, somehow embarrassed to tell even a book exactly about his own role in the prank. “Well, they wrote all over her and her stuff and it took the two of us hours to undo the spells and get it off. Now we want to get them back. But it has to be good, because they are master pranksters.”

After a moment, the book replied, “So am I.”

Harry thought about this. How great would it be if they could get an idea about pranking the twins from a magic diary? He wrote back, “Can you help?”

“Most certainly,” the book replied. “But first, please tell me, are you at Hogwarts?”

“Yes,” wrote Harry. “Do you know about the school? Who are you?”

“I am a memory of a student named Tom Riddle. I too, was once a student at Hogwarts. I probably know more about this castle than nearly anyone alive. Its secrets, its magic, and the ways to make it do what you want. For example, take a look at this:”

A window seemed to open up in the middle of the page, and as Harry looked into it, he saw what looked like a hallway down near the dungeon where he had potions class. Out of a crack in the wall came one, two, three, four snakes, each calling to the others and writhing on the cold stone floor. Next to the window in the diary, words appeared:

“There are snakes all over this castle, and I know how to call them out. They would cause quite a scare, if your Fred and George came back to find one in their beds, would they not?”

As Harry watched, one of the snakes rose out of the book and lunged at Harry. Without even thinking about it he yelled, “No! Get back in the book!”

To his amazement, the snake looked him in the eye and said “As you wish,” before sinking back into the page, the window disappearing with it.

The next words from the book were smudged, as if the writer was rushing to get his thoughts down on the page.

“You are a Parselmouth!?!

“A what??”

“You can talk to snakes, as can I. It is a very rare and special gift given only to rare and powerful wizards. One that I think may be helpful in your quest.”

“I don't know about me being powerful, but I think I have been able to talk to snakes my whole life. Never really came in handy before though, unless you count being able to set a boa constrictor on my cousin Dudley once." He thought for a moment. "I don’t think Ginny will want to just put snakes in Fred and George’s beds,” wrote Harry. “Not sneaky enough. It’s got to be something better. Weird creatures are pretty easy to get around here. I am good friends with Hagrid, the gamekeeper. He can get just about anything you want, and a lot of things you wouldn’t!”

“Hagrid is a good friend, then, is he?” asked the diary.

“One of the best I have here,” wrote Harry.

“Well, that gives me new ideas. I think you had better get this Ginny, so that I can talk with her as well. Just the two of you, of course. It would not do to have . . . the wrong people find out about the prank, before the right time.”

Harry was startled at that moment by Ron and Neville coming into the room to start getting ready for bed. He hastily hid the diary in his lap and tried to look nonchalant.

He failed.

“Hey mate, what was that?” Ron hadn’t missed Harry’s fumbling. It wasn’t difficult, considering that he was now sitting at his desk with an ink pot and quill, but nothing to write on.

“Oh, nothing, just something for Ginny.” Mentally, he kicked himself. Why did he bring her name into it? Now Ron would know something was up. Quickly, he added, “Just, a . . . a, umm, letter apologizing about the other day. You know, in case she thinks it was my fault or something."

Dumb, Dumb, Dumb Harry chided himself. Ron was going to think he was mental, apologizing to his little sister after he spent eight hours trying to help her out.

But to his surprise, Ron just nodded knowingly. “Ahh, you are learning about Ginny, I see.” To Neville’s curious face, Ron added, “She is such a girl , anything can set her off. She can be totally irrational about things.” Ron smirked. “Especially about Harry. Don’t want to get on her bad side this early, mate. She may be a girl, but, yikes. She can be quite a spitfire. And she could rival my mum in the yelling department.” He went back to putting on his pajamas and Harry breathed a sigh of relief, not for the first time noting how Ginny’s brothers could be both patronizing about her and yet, somewhat in awe of her apparent power, all in the same breath. He remembered how Ginny would not back down until he agreed to help her prank the twins. It wouldn’t do to underestimate her himself, he guessed.

September 3

At breakfast the next day, Ginny looked hopefully at him, her bag left blatantly open at her feet. Harry shook his head and muttered “Need to talk, first,” at her as he reached over to grab a plate of eggs, knocking over Hermione’s glass of juice in the process.

“Harry! Watch it! I could have handed you the plate if you were not so intent on whispering to Ginny.”

She didn’t miss anything. Harry gave her a confused look. “What are you talking about? I just asked her to shove out of the way so I could get some food.” Ginny gave him an annoyed look that was probably not completely fake and got up from the table.

“I will see you all later,” said Ginny. “I’ve got, umm, DADA first and then double Potions before lunch.” She looked meaningfully at Harry before leaving the table. He got the picture.

After Charms and a double Transfiguration class Harry tore down to the dungeons, his least favorite place in the castle. While waiting outside Snape’s classroom, he happened to glance at the wall where there was a crack, just like the one he had seen in the diary. Looking around, he bent down and thought for a moment. Then:

“Are there any snakes in the wall that want to come out? Come out and see me?”

Nothing for a moment, but then, suddenly, Harry heard a hissing voice say, “Why do you ask?” A moment later, a smallish black snake appeared out of the crack, followed by another. Harry was so shocked he just sat there for a second, and then stammered, “Uhh, no reason. You can go back in now.”

“Were you just talking to those snakes???”

Harry looked up in surprise. There was Ginny, with Luna right behind her, just out of Potions class. Ginny looked rather shocked, but Luna didn’t seem to have noticed, she was apparently continuing a conversation she and Ginny had been having at the end of class. A conversation, Harry realized, about prank ideas.

“And if they manage to scrape off all the leaves, there you are! Their faces will be blue for a while and they will have the most lovely smell of witch hazel following them around. It repels all sorts of dangerous creatures. Flobberworms, for instance.” She looked up then and saw Harry and Ginny staring at each other.

“Oh, hello, Harry. Was that you, talking to those snakes? You must be related to Salazar Slytherin, I would think.” She looked at him inquisitively.

“What, huh? I’m not related to Slytherin!” Harry was annoyed at Luna’s seeming disregard for the truth or accuracy of her comments.

“Well, of course you are, you can speak to snakes, and so could he! It’s a very rare power.”

Pushing back the thought that the diary had said the same thing, Harry turned to Ginny.

“Ginny, umm, can I talk to you for a minute? In private?” Harry directed Ginny out of the dungeons, and after a minute, steered the two of them back towards Gryffindor Tower.

“Do you mind skipping lunch? This is really important.”

“Is it about why you didn’t write any ideas in the diary for me? Cause, if you are going to give me some excuse about why you didn’t while you were really wasting time with Ron playing Exploding Snap or something last night, I am not going to be amused.”

Harry gave her a look. The kind of look he usually reserved for Hermione when she started getting on him about not reading Hogwarts, A History.

“Hey, get off my case, I’m helping you, remember? And this is really unbelievable. I think the diary wants to help us, too.”

Up in his room, Harry pulled out the diary and quickly wrote, “Hi Tom, I am here with Ginny now. We want to talk about ideas for pranking the twins.”

After a moment, the diary wrote back, “Hello, Ginny. It is good to meet another prankster. I hope you are not squeamish because I have plenty of thoughts. You didn’t want snakes, but how about spiders? Lots and lots of spiders. And I know just how to get them.”

“Wow,” said Ginny, looking down at the writing. She picked up the quill. “I am not squeamish at all — I have six older brothers!” She had a lookon her face that Harry was starting to recognize as being annoyed with anyone who thought she was weak or silly just because she was girl.

Another window opened up in the book. “Good, then,” said the writing. “Take a look.”

The two leaned over the window, but instead of something rising out of it, as the snake had, both Harry and Ginny found themselves falling through the page and landing together in what looked very much like the dungeon outside of the Potions room they had just left.”

Harry and Ginny looked at each other nervously. Despite her earlier bravado, Ginny was clearly frightened, and Harry instinctively grabbed her hand, as much for his own comfort as hers.

As they watched, a handsome teenaged boy appeared at the head of the hallway and looked around. Although they yelled at him to help, it soon became apparent that they were completely invisible to him.

“Do you think that’s Tom?” Ginny asked.

Their question was soon answered, as the two watched Tom have a short conversation with a much younger Professor Dumbledore about a terrible attack by a monster, in which a student had been killed. The school would be closed if the attacker was not found. Following Tom, Harry and Ginny watched in horror as he confronted a school-aged Hagrid, who had apparently been raising an enormous spider in an empty cabinet down in the dungeons. As Tom turned to call Dumbledore, the image began to waver and blur, and Harry and Ginny found themselves back in Harry’s dorm.

“Hagid!” cried Harry. He picked up the quill and began to write.“That is why Hagrid was expelled in his second year — because he raised a giant spider that killed someone?!?”

“Yes,” said the diary. “I thought I was doing the right thing, capturing Hagrid and alerting everyone to the beast. It escaped, and Hagrid had his wand snapped.”

Harry was looking at the book in horror, unable to contemplate that his beloved friend and gamekeeper could be responsible for such a thing. He looked askance at Ginny.

“I know Hagrid has a sort of .. . misguided . . . love for dangerous beasts, but I just can’t believe he would ever . . .”

“Wait,” cried Ginny. “Tom is writing more.”

“Alas, I was mistaken about Hagrid’s guilt. There is another, more terrible reason for that poor girl’s death, but it was many years before I was sure, and by then, it was too late for me to fix the error.”

“What do you mean? Too late?” asked Harry.

At that moment, Ron came noisily into the room.

“Oi! What are you two doing? You missed lunch!” Ron looked simply shocked that such a thing could occur. “And that weird Luna girl kept asking me if we all wash our hair with the juice of the crimson sap-sucker tree to get it so red. She suggested I look into a different type of shampoo, if I don’t want to be ginger. What’s with her?” He frowned at them. “And what are you doing up here? You actually missed lunch!”

“You said that, already, Ronald,” said Ginny menacingly.

“Yeah, but, why were you up here?”

Harry had to think fast. Looking around the room, he spotted a group of thin white threads strung across a window. Hoping he remembered the charm from last year, he pointed his wand at the center and whispered “Engorgio!” It worked. A spider, barely visible at its normal size, suddenly grew in the center of the web until it was so heavy that it fell onto the bed below.

Which happened to be Ron’s.

“Hey Ron, wow! Look at that spider!! It’s on your bed!” Harry tried to keep the glee out of his voice as Ron turned around in horror, all thoughts of missed lunches forgotten. He gave a terrified squeak, stammered out “Please, get rid of it!” and ran out of the room while Ginny dissolved in laughter and gave Harry a high five and Harry shrunk the spider back to its normal size. He left it on Ron’s bed for good measure though.

“That was close!” she gasped through her giggles.

“Too close,” agreed Harry. “We are going to need to find somewhere else to talk. We have to figure out what really happened when Hagrid was expelled, and it sounds like Tom wants to tell us.” He paused. “Maybe we can be the ones to clear his name!” He thought for a second.

“Why don’t we meet outside tomorrow, under that big tree near the lake after dinner? It should still be pretty light out.”

“Sounds good. Don’t forget the diary.”

Harry gave Ginny another look.

“Sorry,” she said with a blush. “Forgot I wasn’t talking to Ron. If it’s not about food or chess or the Cannons, he is kind of scatterbrained .”

“Now, that’s not entirely fair,” said Harry with a smirk. “He likes arguing with Hermione too.”

“Oi. I know. Now I have to get to class.”

September 4

Harry could hardly pay attention in his classes the next day, he kept thinking about Hagrid and what had happened when he was a student. It didn’t help that he ran into the gamekeeper three different times and had to make small talk, when all he wanted to do was ask about the huge spider and assure Hagrid that he and Ginny were going to do everything they could to clear his name. Passing Ginny in the corridors, Harry could tell that her mind was on anything but her studies as well. Once, he caught up with her when she was talking to Luna, who was telling Ginny about the enormous family of Acromantula spiders that lived deep in the Forbidden Forest.

“The Ministry of Magic originally bred them to guard the wizard prison, Azkaban. They were wonderful guards, but had the unfortunate side effect of eating many of the prisoners. So the Ministry thought they would be safer here.”

“The prisoners, or the spiders?” asked Harry somewhat skeptically. Having seen a large spider in the diary vision, he did not entirely discount Luna’s story, but he certainly did not want to believe it in whole, either.

“Never mind that,” said Ginny. “Luna was telling me a couple of ideas she had for, you know, our project?”

“Which project?” asked Harry, thinking that now, they actually had two.

“You know, the one where you want to prank Fred and George really well!” said Luna brightly and too loudly. A couple of other students passing in the corridor looked at them curiously.

“Shhhh!” said Ginny. “It’s a secret!”

“Oh good,” said Luna. “I love secrets. I’ll just be off now, to keep the secret.” She began to skip away, calling over her shoulder, “Let me know when you want to hear my ideas to prank the twins!”

“Arghhh!” Ginny groaned. “It will be all over school by tomorrow!”

“Maybe we should focus on Hagrid, then,” said Harry. “See you at the tree after dinner?”

“Yeah. See you.” Ginny touched his arm as she walked away, her brow furrowed in obvious annoyance that the twins would find out about their plans. Not that they had any, yet. Harry sighed and walked to Herbology.

That evening, under the tree by the lake, the two wasted little time opening the diary and writing to Tom. They did not have a lot of time before they would need to go back into the castle, and furthermore, both were rather excited at the idea of helping Hagrid. Ginny knew how much Harry and Ron and Hermione liked him, and had adopted his cause for her own, as well.

“We are back,” Harry wrote first. “How can you help us prove Hagrid is innocent?”

“Are you sure you are ready?” the diary replied. “It could be very dangerous.”

Ginny grabbed the diary from Harry. “Tom obviously does not know who he is dealing with,” she said, writing quickly.

“Don’t worry about us, don’t you know, you are talking to the famous Harry Potter! He defeated You-Know-Who when he was only a baby, and last year he saved the Sorcerer’s Stone from getting into You-Know-Who’s hands and prevented him from coming back — and Harry was only a First Year! Trust me, nothing could scare him after that, and nothing will scare me, because I am going to stick with Harry!”

Ginny finished writing with a flourish and grinned at Harry. “That ought to show Tom,” she said with satisfaction.

The diary was already writing back. “Who is this “You-Know-Who?”

Now Harry picked up the book. “That is why we should just use his name,” he said to Ginny before writing, “You-Know-Who is what a lot of people call Voldemort. He is one of the darkest wizards who ever lived. Have you heard of him?”

“I am quite familiar. And you defeated him when you were just a baby, you say?”

“The killing curse rebounded on him when he tried to kill me,” Harry wrote shortly. “He disappeared and no one knows why. But I didn’t die because my mother sacrificed herself to save me. He tried to come back last year and I stopped him again. So here I am. Now, what about Hagrid?”

Ginny could see that Harry didn’t really like talking about his defeats of Voldemort. He seemed embarrassed about it or something, and she suspected from their talk on the train that he really didn’t think it was that big of a deal. She looked at the diary, where Tom was writing again.

“Well then, Harry should have no trouble fixing everything. Spend a little more time with me and we can put it all back the way it was meant to be. Now, you two need to be holding hands.”

Harry and Ginny looked at each other for a moment and then, somewhat shyly, complied.

“Good, ” it wrote. “Now Harry, why don’t you tell me a little more about your first year at Hogwarts, how you came to know Hagrid, and that story Ginny mentioned about the Sorcerers’ Stone. It sounds fascinating.”

So focused was Harry on the thought of helping Hagrid that it didn’t occur to him to think it was odd that the diary wanted to hear so much about his past. It was hard to write while holding Ginny’s hand, but Harry managed, starting with his discovery the year before that he was wizard. Neither Harry nor Ginny noticed it getting darker as he wrote, Ginny peering over his shoulder and making suggestions from time to time.

Harry had just finished writing about Hagrid and the three headed dog when something started to feel wrong. Until this point, the diary had been responding to Harry’s tale with amazement, disbelief, and admiration. But suddenly, Tom’s mood seemed to change.

“Stop. I need you to do something for me, before I can help you with Hagrid.”

“What do you mean?” wrote Harry. “You are a book. What kind of help do you need?”

Ginny giggled. "Maybe it wants to be shelved next to a book of love poems in the library.”

“ENOUGH! This is a matter of the utmost importance, and you make jokes? Do you want to help Hagrid, or not?”

“Of course we do. What kind of help do you need? We will do whatever it takes.”

Tom seemed pleased. “I thought so.”

Things got murky after that. As Tom wrote instructions, Harry was only semi-aware that he and Ginny were walking to Hagrid’s hut, and then heading back into the castle, towards the girl’s bathroom where Harry, Ron and Hermione had fought the troll the previous year. It had been out of order ever since. He pushed open the door and began to pull Ginny in with him. Beside him, Harry felt her tense up.

“Where are you going? What does this have to do with Hagrid?

The question brought Harry back to himself for a moment. He looked around, confused. His robes were sticky and Ginny seemed to have chicken feathers down her front.

“I, I don’t know. He looked down at the diary in his hand. Shining there were the words, “Go on, say it!”

Ginny picked up the quill. “Say what, Tom? How did we get into the girls’ bathroom? And why am I covered in feathers?”

“It’s part of the plan . . . to help Hagrid. You must remember that I explained it all to you, don’t you Ginny? Don’t you want to help Harry?”

At these words, Ginny started tugging Harry’s hand and pulling him towards one of the sinks along the wall. “Come on, Harry, say it! Say it in Parseltongue!. It’s the only way to help Hagrid . . . and Tom.”

Harry looked down at the diary. “Open the Chamber, Harry,” it said.

Harry suddenly felt an overwhelming urge to speak to the sink — in Parseltongue. “Open up,” he hissed, and watched dispassionately as the sink sunk into the floor and a large hole opened up. Turning back towards Ginny, he started to tell her to follow him, but the look in her eyes gave him pause. Concerned, he asked, “What is it, Ginny?”

“I, I don’t know. This feels weird.”

“Yeah. To me too. How did we get here?”

“I don’t remember,” said Ginny. “Did we go to Hagrid’s”

“I think so. But what did we do there?”

Ginny picked up the diary again and wrote “Tom, can you help us? Something strange is going on.” Ginny frowned at the words the diary wrote back and suddenly began tugging at Harry’s arm again. “We have to go down, Harry. We have to go down, now . The answers are down there.” She pointed at the hole where the sink used to be. She tugged so hard that her hand slipped out of his grasp, and for a minute, Harry found clarity again. He saw himself in the girl’s bathroom, covered in, oh Merlin, was that blood? And Ginny, why was she covered in feathers? He looked down at the diary, open in Ginny’s hand. A mist swas rising out of it. Something was very wrong. He could feel it.

“Ginny, no. You can’t go there! It’s wrong Ginny! We can’t help Hagrid that way!” He grabbed Ginny to pull her back and in the process, lost himself again.

The mist coming out of the diary seemed to be talking to him. “Call it, Harry. Call it forth. I don’t even need to teach you to speak its language. Call it forth from the Chamber where it sleeps and help me finish the work that started so long ago.”

Harry wanted to obey. He knew what he had to say. But another voice was calling to him too, telling him to listen to her, to wait for her.

It was Ginny. As the mist from the diary grew thicker, Harry forced himself to focus on Ginny.

“Ginny, can you hear me? We have to get away.”

“Harry, I . . . I want to, get away. I think. But we need to call it first.” She paused, a confused look in her eyes. “What are you supposed to call out? Harry, I don’t think its safe here.”

Looking down at the diary, Harry saw Tom had written more. “Don’t listen to her! She is weak! Don’t be weak with her! Call it up from where it sleeps!”

“Ginny is not weak!” Harry yelled furiously. The mist cleared for a moment, and some of it sank back into the diary. But then it seemed to redouble its efforts to escape, and surrounded them both. Everything went murky and confusing again, and Harry and Ginny began walking toward the hole by the sinks. Harry starting to hiss the words that he knew would call up an ancient evil.

But other thoughts kept creeping into his mind. Beside him, Ginny was muttering “We can’t, we can’t, oh, please make it stop.” She stumbled a bit and as Harry grabbed herarm to steady her, an image popped unbidden into his head, of her, sitting on the train, as he held that same arm while it was covered with bright green words. “Ginny plus Harry equals love!” A vision of the twins’ grinning faces jumped into his mind. In the next minute, a huge snake, thick as a tree trunk and with gleaming yellow eyes skulked through his brain, hissing back at him to “Call me! Call me now!” Next to him, Ginny whispered “Yes! Think of other things! Ron and Quidditch! Luna and that jar of dirt. . . no, wait, you must call it first. Tell it to come to us, Harry!.”

Harry turned to Ginny and frantically asked her. “Ginny, what are you thinking right now?

Ginny looked back at him. “Harry, I want you to call something up out of its home. You need to do it for Tom . . . and Hagrid, I think.” She shook her head back and forth. “But, no. That’s not right. We want to prank the twins, don’t we? Why isn’t Tom helping us prank the twins?” She looked back at the sink again, a glazed look coming over her face.

Harry forced himself to look away from the sink. As he pulled Ginny with him, the diary slipped out of her hand and fell to the floor, where it lay open, the mist swirling up from its pages to continue to surround them. Harry grabbed both of Ginny’s hands and yelled at her.

“Ginny, we have to concentrate! Something is not right here!”

Ginny looked back at Harry and nodded, squeezing both his hands in hers. She looked down at where the diary had fallen. New words appeared: “Okay, then together! Together you can call it. You can call it and help Hagrid. Do it now!!”

“No, Harry,” Ginny whispered. “It wants us to do something we shouldn’t. Something bad. I can feel it. I . . . I think we have already started.”

Holding both of Ginny’s hands, Harry felt stronger, more able to fight the feelings in him that were urging him to lean over the hole in the sink and hiss an invitation to the monster below. He took a deep breath.

“Ginny, on the count of three, I am going to drop one of your hands and close the diary. Whatever happens, don’t let me speak in Parseltongue. Hex me if you have to, but don’t let me call it!”

Ginny nodded, and on the count of three, Harry lunged at the book, closing it. As he touched the leather cover, an overwhelming urge rose up in him and he moved back towards the sink, only one thought on his mind. But the next thing he knew, he was laying on the ground of the bathroom, his head ringing where Ginny had smacked him. He was no longer touching the diary, which was laying innocuously in a puddle of water. The mist was gone, although the large hole where the sink had been was still there.

Harry rubbed his head. “Thanks, I think.”

Ginny looked apologetically at him. “It was the only thing I could think of. You were starting to hiss those words again.”

“I was? I don’t even remember.”

“What happened, Harry? What did Tom want us to do? He was so nice, at first. He reminded me of the twins, but on our side instead. But then,” she shuddered.

“He was not trying to help us,” said Harry flatly. I don’t remember much, but I know that he wanted us to call something horrible out of hiding.” He looked down at the diary. Even though it hadn’t moved, just the sight of it was making him nervous. “We need to take this to Dumbledore. He will know what to do.”

Using a levitation spell so he didn’t have to touch the thing again, Harry floated the diary out in front of him. The two left the bathroom, and realized they had no idea how to find Dumbledore. As they wandered the hallways, Harry noticed for the first time how dark it was. They should have been back in the common room by now. It was still the first week of school and it looked like they were already going to get into trouble.

Providence, in the form of Ginny’s brother Percy, of all people, saved them. He was patrolling the corridors outside the bathroom and Harry had to admit he had never seen such as fantastic show as the one Ginny put on for him, tearing up and asking where to find Dumbledore, saying dramatically that it was a matter of life and death and that she didn’t want to have to write to their mother to tell her that Percy was not helping Ginny get used to being at school. At the mention of Mrs. Weasley, Percy turned pale and escorted them straight to Dumbledore’s office, behind a gargoyle and up a spinning spiral staircase.

Ginny had not been so far off when she said it was a matter of life and death that they see the headmaster. When he took in Harry and Ginny’s disheveled appearances, the diary still floating in front of them, he dismissed Percy and ushered them into chairs.

Now that the danger seemed to be past, and they were actually sitting in front of the headmaster, Harry began to feel a bit silly. What if he and Ginny had been taken in by a particularly clever trick diary? But with Dumbledore looking keenly at him, and Ginny nodding, Harry haltingly began to explain what had happened, turning to ask her to fill in blanks along the way.

Any illusion that the diary was merely a prank vanished as soon as Harry said that the diary contained a memory from a former student named Tom Riddle.

Dumbledore looked sharply at him and jumped out of his seat so fast he was almost a blur. Waving his wand at the diary as it floated in front of Harry and Ginny, he conjured an enormous gold sphere around it, almost like a cage. Without asking, Harry knew that Dumbledore was trying to contain the thing inside, to keep something from escaping. He looked at Ginny, who was looking frightened again.

“Professor,” she began, “what . . . I mean, who . . . is in the diary?”

Dumbledore looked soberly at both of them. “Tom Riddle, or more specifically, Tom Marvolo Riddle, is the given name of the dark wizard who later became Lord Voldemort.”

Ginny gasped. Harry felt sick inside. Oh Merlin, what had they done?

Back to index


Chapter 3: Guilt, Understanding, Friendship, Hexes

Author's Notes: Well, here is the end. I did my best to tie up as many loose ends as possible to make the story canon compliant. Obviously, there are a couple of big things I had to leave out because of Challenge length constraints. See the A/N at the end for my ideas on how I may expand the story at a later date. Enjoy!


Harry sat looking at Professor Dumbledore with horror. Ginny put her head into her hands and began to cry.

“Stupid. I’m so stupid!” she sobbed. “My dad always warned me not to trust something that can think for itself if you can’t see where it keeps its brain!”

“Very sound advice, Miss Weasley,” said Dumbledore. “But much more powerful wizards than yourselves have been taken in by Tom Riddle.” He turned back to Harry. “Harry, I’m sorry to have to ask, but I need to know everything else that happened.”

Harry was still in shock. It couldn’t have been Voldemort. It just couldn’t. How could he have missed it? How could he have gotten Ginny into so much danger? He forced himself to look back at Professor Dumbledore.

“Professor,” he cracked, “I am so . . . so sorry. I don’t know what . . .”

“Don’t worry about that now, Harry,” said Professor Dumbledore, glancing again at the gold sphere that still hovered in the air, the black diary visible inside. “I just need to know everything you remember.”

Harry looked to Ginny, who finally sat up and looked back at him with a tearstained face. He shuffled his chair closer to her and put his hand on her arm. She leaned into it a bit and gave him a watery smile. “Can you help?” he asked. “I . . . I don’t remember everything.”

Ginny nodded and Harry took a deep breath. “Okay, this is what I remember.”

Slowly, the two told Dumbledore the rest of the story, how they sat under the tree together, writing, how Tom asked them to hold hands, how he kept promising to help them prove Hagid’s innocence, and then how they only vaguely remembered going to Hagrid’s for something before they ended up in the bathroom, covered in blood and feathers.

Dumbledore looked sharply at them when Ginny described how she had watched Harry hiss at the sink until a large hole opened, and Harry explained how Ginny urged him to listen to Tom and to call up whatever it was that lived below.

“And the hole is still open?” he interrupted.

“I, I guess so,” said Harry. “I didn’t close it before we left.”

Dumbledore sighed and turned to Ginny. “And you think your mum got you the diary in Diagon Alley?”

Ginny shrugged. “That’s what I thought. It was in my things after we left Flourish and Blotts.” She grimaced. “Where my dad and Lucius Malfoy almost got in a fight.”

That reminded Harry of something. “Professor,” he said, “a house elf named Dobby came to visit me this summer. He warned me not to come back to Hogwarts because something bad was going to happen. Fred and George guessed that he might belong to the Malfoys. Could this be what Dobby meant to warn me against?”

The old professor looked thoughtful. “That is a serious accusation you are making, Harry. But still, I suppose it should be checked out. With subtlety, of course.”

Dumbledore stood up then and raised his wand. A silvery substance shot out of the end like a bird and flew away through the door.

“I just called Professor McGonagall to take you both to the Hospital Wing. I want you both to stay there overnight and for part of tomorrow, until we can determine if you have suffered any lasting harm.”

At this, Ginny began to cry again. Harry awkwardly patted her arm, not sure what to say. What did Dumbledore mean, lasting harm? What had happened to them in the bathroom?

Professor McGonagall showed up in a tartan dressing gown, her mouth a thin line as she took in the sight of Harry and Ginny. Professor Dumbledore took her aside and spoke quickly to her. Harry heard the words “security wards, for their own protection, and to protect the rest of the students,” but he didn’t understand what it meant. Then he turned back to them.

“Professor McGonagall is going to take you to Madame Pomfrey now. I need you both to stay in the Hospital Wing until I come for you, hopefully some time tomorrow. No visitors — not even family,” he said. I have quite a bit of work to do before then, it seems.”

“Wait!” said Harry, suddenly. “Can I, I mean, can we go with you? To help? It was . . . our fault in the first place.”

Ginny started. Go with him? Down that hole?? She shuddered, but at the same time, a warm flush crept up her cheeks. Harry had included her in his request, he hadn’t ignored her or left her out like her brothers would have, saying she was too young, or just a girl. Despite everything, she smiled to herself. Harry was a little more like her fantasy than he thought.

Dumbledore looked up at the golden sphere and then to Harry and Ginny.

“This was not your fault,” he said firmly. “And it is just too dangerous to risk . . . especially with the two of you together. Tom is already greedy and I don’t want to give him anymore chances to hurt you.”

He turned back to Professor McGonagall.

“You will act as deputy Headmistress while I am . . . indisposed?”

“Of course,” she replied.

“I would suggest cancelling classes for tomorrow and requiring all students to stay in their common rooms until we determine whether there is any danger about.”

Harry and Ginny looked at each other, silently sharing the same thought. What more danger could there be?

“Professor,” Harry began, wanting to know exactly what was going on.

“I can’t explain now, Harry,” said Professor Dumbledore soberly. “There are things I need to . . . confirm, first. Once the situation is contained, I’ll be able to tell you more.”

This was sounding worse and worse to Harry, but there was nothing they could do but obey the Headmaster.

Ginny and Harry followed Professor McGonagall silently as she led them to the Hospital Wing. Ginny was sniffling crying and Harry’s sense of guilt was growing, but he didn’t want to say anything in front of the professor. Instead, he hesitantly grabbed Ginny’s hand, surprised to feel her squeeze it back tightly and not let go.

When they got to the Hospital Wing, Professor McGonagall spoke quietly to Madame Pomfrey and then walked to the door, waving her wand in a complicated pattern as she did so. The walls glowed blue, and then gold, before settling back to their normal stone color. As she left, there was a distinctive click of the lock behind her.

Madame Pomfrey hustled Harry and Ginny into pajamas and then began checking them over thoroughly. She spent the most time looking into their eyes and asking them questions about themselves and their studies, and whether their heads hurt or they felt dizzy. Finally satisfied that they were in no immediate danger, although from what, Harry had no idea, she made to leave them.

“The Headmaster instructed that the two of you remain here, without visitors, until he returns. He also told me that I’m not allowed to give you anything to help you sleep, although you by no means have to remain awake. I’ll come to check on you every few hours. Goodnight.”

With that, she left the ward, dimming the lights and leaving Harry and Ginny in near total darkness, save for light from the moon through the high windows.

Harry leaned back against the pillows on his bed, lost in thought about what had just happened, trying to figure out where and when he should have suspected that something was wrong.

The snakes, he decided. Both Tom and Luna had told him that being able to talk to snakes was a rare and powerful gift. Luna had even told him that it meant he was related to Slytherin. Maybe it was actually true. A thought struck him then. The Sorting Hat had wanted to put him in Slytherin! Of course! It could see terrible things inside him, things that Tom had obviously seen too. Only Harry had missed the danger.

A sob from the bed where Ginny was sitting brought him out of his thoughts. No matter how angry he was at himself, Harry couldn’t ignore how upset Ginny was. He went and sat next to her and made as if to pat her on the back. Instead, she threw herself into his arms, sobbing piteously.

“H-h-h-ow could I be so stupid, Harry? My parents are going to kill me! Taking orders from a book!”

“Ginny!” Harry spoke urgently to her, taking her shoulders in his hands and forcing her to look him in the eyes. “This is not your fault! It’s all mine! I, I have faced Voldemort before. I know he wants to kill me. I should have been more suspicious!”

“No Harry.” Ginny took a deep breath. “If there is one thing my parents always taught me about magic, it’s what I told Dumbledore about never trusting something that can think for itself if you can’t see where it keeps its brain. I should never have trusted that diary. I was just too excited about pranking the twins.”

“And I was too excited about helping Hagrid.” Harry paused. “And there is something else.” He took a deep breath. Ginny might very well hate him after this. “I, I think Tom wanted to get to me because he could see I am like him. I . . . I think I should have been in Slytherin. The Sorting Hat wanted to put me there.”

Ginny looked at him in surprise. “Harry, you are the least Slytherin-like person I have ever met. You always think of others, never of yourself. I mean, how many people would’ve wasted an entire train ride cleaning embarrassing love notes off their best mate’s little sister? And you said it yourself, you listened to the diary because you wanted to help Hagrid. At least that's a good reason, not like mine.” She looked like she was going to cry again.

“You wanted to help Hagrid too,” said Harry firmly. “And we both wanted to prank the twins.”

“Yeah, but . . .” In the moonlight, Harry could see a flush creeping up Ginny’s face. “There is another reason it’s my fault, and it’s the worst reason of all.” She spoke the last quietly.

“What is it, Ginny?”

“It’s . . . it’s because I still had a crush on you!” she wailed. “And I was secretly thrilled that we had something to share, apart from my brothers, or Hermione, or anyone. I, I didn’t want to stop and think about the danger because then you would go back to just hanging out with them!” She pulled away from Harry and buried her head in her hands.

This time, Harry did manage to pat her on the back. “Ginny, don’t cry, please?” He had no idea what to do, his experience with crying girls being nearly non-existent. “I really liked hanging out with you too, really I did.” Harry thought about it for a second and knew it was true.

Now that he had gotten to know her, he could see that Ginny was funny and fun-loving, kind and caring, and, he suspected, pretty smart. “And so brave,” he said out loud.

Ginny snorted as if she did not believe him, and Harry tried to put it into the right words so that he didn’t sound like he was just trying to make her feel better.

“No really, Ginny. I mean it. Without you, there in the bathroom, I would probably be down in that hole right now, fighting who knows what, or maybe even hurt . . . or dead. You knew something was wrong, and you kept fighting, even when it meant knocking me half-unconscious.” He looked at her. “It saved my life.”

“Yeah, right after I urged you to jump down into the hole,” she said.

Harry grinned. “Maybe we should call it even.”

Ginny finally smiled a real smile through her tears. “Deal.” She yawned widely. “Now let’s get some sleep.”

SEPTEMBER 5

The next day actually passed fairly quickly, considering that Harry and Ginny were stuck in the Hospital Wing and decidedly not sick. They played exploding snap and chess, and Harry told Ginny more about his life with the Dursleys and the few things he knew about his parents.

“Hagrid wrote to all their old friends, at the end of last year, and made me a photo album of pictures of them. It was the best present I have ever gotten, other than my Hogwarts letter. I'll show it to you when we get out of here.”

"I'd like to see pictures of your parents."

They both tried hard to avoid mention of the events of the previous day, other than to wonder about what Dumbledore was doing and hope he was all right. But when conversation ran short, they did start talking again about prank ideas for the twins.

“Only this time,” said Harry with a grimace, “we’ll come up with ideas for ourselves.”

“Oh, I don’t know,” mused Ginny. “Luna was actually starting to suggest some good pranks. She found this book on hexes that looked brilliant. I’ll have to find her, once we are free — she’s crazy, but in a good way.”

Harry was struck again by Ginny’s kindness. Even in the few days he had known Luna, he had seen the other students shy away from her oddness, some to the point of making fun of her. But Ginny saw right past that.

“Okay, Luna then. But no one else.”

Just as the two were finishing dinner, the locks on the door began to click and the room glowed blue and gold again. Dumbledore appeared in the doorway, looking tired and rather disheveled. A brilliantly plumed red and gold bird perched on his shoulder.

“Well, Mr. Potter, Miss Weasley, it is finished. And no lasting harm was done.” He looked at them both over his half-moon spectacles. “And, may I say, given what I have discovered, I must commend both of you for fighting off Tom as well and as long as you did.”

Harry sagged with relief and saw a similar sentiment cross Ginny’s face as well. “Sir,” he began hesitantly, “can you tell us now what happened?”

“I can tell you some of it right now. Parts . . . well, parts will have to wait for another time.”
Dumbledore conjured up a chair and sat down next to them.

“Tom Riddle put those memories of himself into the diary when he was sixteen years old to create a way to open the Chamber of Secrets long after he had left the school.”

“The Chamber of Secrets?” asked Ginny.

“Yes, the Chamber,” said Dumbledore. “A secret cavern deep under the castle and the lake, built by Salazar Slytherin himself to contain a terrible monster whose sole purpose was to rid the school of those students that Slytherin did not think worthy of studying magic. Namely, those born of Muggle parents.”

“What??” Ginny looked outraged. “That’s crazy!”

“Yeah,” Harry agreed. “Hermione is Muggleborn and she's the smartest witch in our year!”

“Quite right,” agreed Dumbledore. “I didn’t say it was a sound idea, and it caused Slytherin to break away from the other founders of the school over a thousand years ago. He planned it so only a direct descendant of Slytherin could open the Chamber.”

“Voldemort?” asked Harry.

“That’s right,” confirmed the Headmaster. “In his Fifth year, Tom Riddle discovered how to open the Chamber and release the monster. A student was killed and the school threatened to close. Rather than risk leaving Hogwarts, Tom managed to frame Hagrid for the deed. He never opened the Chamber again, but instead, put the instructions in this charmed diary, which he then left with a trusted follower.” He looked pointedly over his spectacles at Harry. “It seems you were not incorrect, Mr. Potter.”

“Malfoy!” Harry breathed.

The Headmaster nodded. “Magic like that leaves certain signatures. It was not hard to discover where the diary had been residing all these years. Lucius slipped the diary into Miss Weasley’s things in Diagon Alley, hopeful that it might fulfill some of his Master’s plans.”

Here, the Headmaster paused, looking at the outrage on Harry’s face. “Although, to be fair, I don't think that even Malfoy knew exactly what the diary could do, and I don’t think he was acting on his Master’s orders when he gave it to Miss Weasley.”

“But Dobby knew,” said Harry. “He knew that Malfoy was planning something horrible.”

“So it seems. But House elves are bound by their own type of magic; they cannot make their own decisions and must always follow their masters’ orders, no matter how terrible. That Dobby was able to break away enough to give you a warning is remarkable indeed.

“Please sir,” asked Ginny in a soft voice, her eyes still showing shock from what she was hearing, “can you tell us what the monster is?”

“What it was,” said Dumbledore, with emphasis on the last word. “For after I finally discovered all of the diary’s secrets, I went down into the Chamber itself and destroyed the monster — a Basilisk.

"A what?" Harry and Ginny spoke at the same time.

"A Basilisk. A giant serpent which, in addition to its poisonous fangs, kills its victims by staring at them with its great yellow eyes. His own eyes twinkled a bit at them. “It was a great battle, I wish you could have seen it.”

Harry was still confused about something. “But, how did the diary try to get us to open the Chamber? It’s just a book, isn’t it?”

Here, Dumbledore sighed. “Well, yes and no.” Tom Riddle was probably the most brilliant student this school has ever seen. The magic he was able to encase in the diary when only sixteen is quite remarkable. Am I correct to assume that the two of you told the diary certain personal, or private things?”

Harry was quiet for a moment. “I told him about my past, and about my mum dying for me.”

Ginny jumped in then, “And I told it about Harry, and how strong and brave he is, and about the twins and things, and we both talked about Hagrid.”

Dumbledore nodded. “The diary fed on your thoughts and emotions, and used them to delve into your own minds and beings. Eventually, Tom thought he had enough of your souls to be able to possess you both.”

Harry felt as nauseous as Ginny suddenly looked. “Possessed? We were possessed by . . . by Voldemort?”

“Briefly, it seems. You were very lucky. Tom was greedy. He didn’t wait until you had written that much to start trying to control you. And he made another mistake. He thought that by working to possess both of you, he could gain twice the power from your combined souls. Instead, you worked together, against him.”

Dumbledore’s gaze rested for a moment on Harry alone, and when he spoke, it was with a seriousness that made Harry pay attention, as if he would some day be tested on the information.

“Tom Riddle never had any use for true friends when he was at school. The adult Voldemort I knew was much the same. He may have had followers, but no confidants or people he could rely on merely because they liked him. He controlled by fear and domination.” Dumbledore’s gaze became even more piercing.

“Voldemort always underestimates the power that comes from having connections to other people. Friendship, loyalty, love, mean nothing to him. You and Ginny were able to overcome him by using those very things. You care about each other, you wanted to protect each other, and, I daresay, you shared more private thoughts with each other than you did with the diary. Together, you were strong enough to beat him.”

“Sir,” said Harry, still trying to digest what he was hearing, “what about the mist that came out of the diary?”

“That was Tom, attempting to take on a corporeal form. As I told you, he got greedy, probably when he discovered who you were, Harry, and how you were connected to his future self. He failed to get enough of either of your souls before attempting to escape. I destroyed the diary quite completely. Tom Riddle will not be able to either possess anyone else or escape its pages again.”

“And why the blood and feathers?” Ginny was doing her best not to start crying again. Harry felt much more comfortable than he had previously putting his hand on hers and grasping it.

“The crowing of the rooster is fatal to a Basilisk. The first thing Tom had you do after he possessed you, when his control was the strongest, was to go to Hagrid’s and kill all the roosters.”

That reminded Harry of something. “Professor, what about Hagrid? He was expelled for no reason!”

“And steps have already been taken to clear his name and rectify the situation. More will be said about it later, but suffice it to say that when I last saw Hagrid about an hour ago and delivered the news, he immediately rushed off to make a particularly large batch of rock cakes to send to the both of you.”

There was not much to say after that. Dumbledore cleared them both to leave the Hospital Wing, and go back to their dormitory.

“And may I suggest,” he added, “that you limit those to whom you tell your tale to trusted friends and family? I have contacted your parents of course, Miss Weasely, and persuaded your mother to refrain from sending one of her famous Howlers.” Dumbledore’s eyes twinkled. “She has already sent, I believe, three of them to the twins this year, and I rather thought she should rest her voice. And now, I bid you goodnight.”

Harry and Ginny walked slowly back to Gryffindor Tower, talking only a little bit about the things Dumbledore had told them. There would be many more conversations between the two of them in the days and weeks to come, Harry was sure of it. He looked forward to them, and told Ginny so. She gave him a grateful smile.

“I guess I was kind of right about you after all, Harry.” You did swoop in and save me, just not from my mental brothers.”

“And we did become friends,” said Harry. “Good friends.”

“Friends,” agreed Ginny. “Now, what about Fred and George?”

SEPTEMBER 6

“Ginny, there you are! I wondered if the bandybugs had gotten to you already. I heard you were in the Hospital Wing.”

“Luna, do I even want to know what bandybugs are?”

“Why, they are little bugs that nest in your ears and fill your head with random songs! I get them all the time so they don’t bother me. But if you are not used to them they can make it quite difficult to concentrate in class.”

“Oh, well, yes. I think I did have a case of the bandybugs.”

“I thought so. But I am glad you are back. I found the most wonderful hex for you to use on the twins! I think if you practice it tonight it should be ready by tomorrow morning. Here, look in this book.”

“Luna, this looks great. I have to go show Harry!”

SEPTEMBER 7

“Oh Fred, Oh George?”
………
“MYOTIS MUCOCUS!!”

FIN

A/N

So, obviously, the major omission in the story is the absence of the sword of Gryffindor. I really wanted Harry and Ginny to go down into the Chamber with Dumbledore to help and work both the sword and Fawkes in that way. When I do expand this story, I will add a section in the chamber. I wil also probably set Dobby free, although I like to think that Harry and Ginny spent part of the rest of the year trying to do figure out a way to do that, and that their attempts involved working with Ron and Hermione to make Polyjuice Potion. Maybe having one of them impersonate Draco's father and having him order Draco to set Dobby free . . .







Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=127800